Britney Spears

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin

As we celebrate Blackout's 10th anniversary, what are your own THREE favourite tracks?

1. Gimme More
26%
2. Piece of me
16%
3. Radar
4%
4. Break the ice
14%
5. Heaven on earth
2%
6. Get naked (I got a plan)
14%
7. Freakshow
4%
8. Toy soldier
4%
9. Hot as ice
3%
10. Ooh ooh baby
1%
11. Perfect lover
1%
12. Why should I be sad?
4%
13. Outta this world
2%
14. Get back
2%
15. Everybody
1%

Total votes : 146

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:39 am

Instinct wrote:Attitude: Why Britney Spears will always be defined by "Blackout"

Cast your mind back to 2007. It was one of the most memorable years in pop culture history, and one that is constantly referenced a decade later.

Despite the turmoil her life was in, Britney somehow managed to record and release her most critically acclaimed album, which has since gone on to become one of the most iconic pop records ever made, and one that arguably changed the direction of the pop landscape.

Released ten years ago today on October 25th 2007, Blackout saw the star going down a darker, electronic route that fans previously hadn’t heard. Britney was back, she was brunette and she was determined to show that she was no longer the all-American girl next door, but instead a sexually liberated woman who knew exactly what she wanted.

This was an album about getting wasted, going to the club and taking boys home. While this was hardly something new from a pop star, it was the first time it felt like a true representation of the artist. Despite appearing to be anything but on the surface, Blackout truly was the most personal album Britney could have released.

She was living and breathing the lyrics she was singing, and we knew that because the proof was plastered over the front pages of every newspaper in the world falling out of a club on a daily basis.

Blackout marked the moment Britney, for far too fleeting of a moment, took complete and utter control of her career. In fact, it still stands as the only album she’s credited as an executive producer.

While 2007 marked the fall of the world’s most famous teen icon, it also signified the rise of a superstar we could all relate to. Britney was no longer just a blonde Barbie with perfect abs that all the guys wanted. The image of a woman the media had built into this almost unattainable goddess was crumbling in front of the world’s eyes, and in doing so, it was revealing a side to the pop icon that humanised and endeared her to the public.
Full article: http://attitude.co.uk/why-britney-spear ... -blackout/
Wow that last article was just a great one.

I love how all of the articles are recognizing how real the album was and how it served as a form of expression for her, also the fact that everyone is aknowledging her role as the executive producer of the album.

"Blackout" is not a sensitive album that will tell you that you are precious and that you are a firework ... In fact "Blackout" is a fierce slutty and dark album about getting wasted, commiting all kind of sins, showing the middle finger to the world, proclaiming yourself a "living legend" and doing all kind of statements that at some point even turns completely autobiographical. This album was pure liberation and attention seeking that makes you feel confident and like a true winner ... What critics are loving right now is that "Blackout" somehow completely represents what Britney Spears was in 2007, its the representation of her life and career at that specific time like if she could copy-paste her life in music format and IMO it can't get more real than that.

Hands down to the most genuine record Britney ever pulled.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:43 am

I've been playing "Why Should I Be Sad" a lot the last few hours, and I can't help but feel that it just gets better every year. The true underrated gem of Blackout!
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [55-51]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Instinct » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:08 am

JSparksFan wrote:I've been playing "Why Should I Be Sad" a lot the last few hours, and I can't help but feel that it just gets better every year. The true underrated gem of Blackout!
"Why Should I Be Sad" is criminally underrated by fans. It was the perfect way to end "Blackout" and the track itself is excellent too.

MrLeonix wrote:Wow that last article was just a great one.

I love how all of the articles are recognizing how real the album was and how it served as a form of expression for her, also the fact that everyone is aknowledging her role as the executive producer of the album.

I agree. I think "Blackout" is easily the most personal album she's done in her career so far. Not everything has to be about "getting cheated on" or "heartbreak" in order to be personal. Like that article said, she was living and breathing the lyrics she was singing.

Brilliant pop album from start to finish.
Last edited by Instinct on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Instinct
Manager

Postby Instinct » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:09 am

Spotify posted about "Blackout" and called it one of the most influential pop albums of all time. 8-) Slay a bit.

10 years ago, one of the most influential pop albums of all time was released. This is @britneyspears. #Blackout http://spoti.fi/2ry8HVc
https://twitter.com/Spotify/status/923319008912437248
Instinct
Manager

Postby britboyphil » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am

Instinct wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:I've been playing "Why Should I Be Sad" a lot the last few hours, and I can't help but feel that it just gets better every year. The true underrated gem of Blackout!
"Why Should I Be Sad" is criminally underrated by fans. It was the perfect way to end "Blackout" and the track itself is excellent too.

MrLeonix wrote:Wow that last article was just a great one.

I agree. I think "Blackout" is easily the most personal album she's done in her career so far. Not everything has to be about "getting cheated on" or "heartbreak" in order to be personal. Like that article said, she was living and breathing the lyrics she was singing.

Brilliant pop album from start to finish.
I share the same thoughts and feelings that Blackout was the liberation of Britney Spears as an artist. I think it was something she wanted to achieve with Original Doll. And she did it! The album succeeds in connecting to her fans as the songs were everything what Britney was going thru then and everything what they want Britney to respond. This is really a PERSONAL album.

I still listen to it everyday. my current fave is ooh ooh baby.
britboyphil
Manager

Postby mznxbcv » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Everybody mentions the year 2007, but wasn't 2006 nearly just as bad as 2007 for Britney?
mznxbcv
Groupie

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:42 pm

mznxbcv wrote:Everybody mentions the year 2007, but wasn't 2006 nearly just as bad as 2007 for Britney?
Nope. Not even close.

------

... And the press coversge keeps and keeps going.

UK Charts Company: Britney Spears's Blackout: 10 chart facts about the acclaimed album on its 10th anniversary

Ten years ago this week, Britney Spears released what would become her most critically acclaimed album to date: Blackout.

Its chart success was almost inevitable - Britney had a strong track record on the charts, the album's lead single Gimme More had been a hit, and rarely a day passed when she wasn't been papped in the build up to its release during her much documented difficult year.

But its critical acclaim - Britney's first widespread praise for one of her records - came as a surprise to many, particularly given the months preceding its release.

The likes of Rolling Stone, Pitchfork and The Guardian all praised the record's fresh and futuristic sound, The Times ranked it as the fifth best pop album of the decade, and in 2012 it was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame library.

To celebrate its tenth birthday, Official Charts presents ten essential #ChartFacts about how the album has performed in the UK. Could it be Britney's most underrated collection?

1. Blackout entered the Official Albums Chart at Number 2 – one of five Britney albums to peak in second place.

2. It was held off the top spot by The Eagles’ Long Road Out To Eden - Blackout's 42,207 sales to Eagles' 134,080.

3. It's total UK sales are 291,075, 90% of which are physical sales. That makes it Britney’s sixth biggest studio album out of nine.

4. This year, it has amassed 1,919 sales so far across physical, digital and streaming equivalent sales.

5. Blackout has amassed 665,433 individual track downloads.

6. Despite being released in 2007, Blackout's songs have notched up a total of 11.2m streams since 2014, when streaming was added to the Official Chart. [/b]

7. Blackout includes two Top 10 singles, Gimme More (3) and Piece Of Me (2), plus Top 20 hit Break The Ice (15).

8. Piece of Me is Blackout’s most downloaded song – 260,463.

9. Gimme More is Blackout’s most streamed song – 4 million.

10. The most downloaded and streamed non-single is Get Naked (I Got A Plan) - 368,000 streams.
Source: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... ry__20862/
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby mznxbcv » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:18 pm

MrLeonix wrote:Nope. Not even close.
Your're probably right but still, 2006 really laid the foundation as to what was going to happen the next year, especially if one watches that Matt Lauer interview and reads articles like these:

...It's up to you America, to reject this disrespectful young woman, who has no regard for you and your children (not to mention her own), and who would spread her legs for the world to see — very deliberately.

Do not buy her new CD when it comes out. The only thing that will change this "coarse" of action is to hit her where it hurts the most. And since a kick to the groin apparently doesn't hurt enough, perhaps a flopped comeback will let her know that we've had enough.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/11/30 ... rwear.html
mznxbcv
Groupie

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:28 pm

Hands down her best.
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:20 pm

mznxbcv wrote:Your're probably right but still, 2006 really laid the foundation as to what was going to happen the next year, especially if one watches that Matt Lauer interview and reads articles like these
Honestly Britney was on hiatus in 2006, she spent most of the year pregnant from her second child (Jayden was born on September 2006), she spent like the first 8 months of the year, resting, quiet, low-profile and doing minor career work, such as recording music for the "Blackout" sessions, co-executive producing her then husband debut album "Playing with fire" which came out as of late 2006 and included a song with her and did a Guest acting work on the hit series "Will & Grace", it wasn't until like the last couple of months of 2006 that she was just seen partying a lot wich raised worries and negative reaction considering she was a new mother, but literally nothing major outside of the p*ssy incicent (which BTW has happened to a bunch of celebrities) and some partying happened in 2006.

2007 was the year of the real controversies and it actually escalated higher specifically during Blackout's promotional campaign.

BlueScorpion wrote:Hands down her best.
Hands down 8-)

... BTW guys, the iconic "Piece of me" singe is at 98,7 million views on Youtube:

Lets stream it to 100 million !!
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Added a Blackout poll, as per MrL's request.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Wayne wrote:Added a Blackout poll, as per MrL's request.
Thanks Wayne!

I voted for "Gimme More", "Piece of me" and "Get Naked (I got a plan)".
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:41 pm

MrLeonix wrote:I voted for "Gimme More", "Piece of me" and "Get Naked (I got a plan)".
Me either.

There are far other songs deserving though. BTI is a gem and Toy Soldier >>>>>>>>>
"Side effects be drowsiness / Loneliness / How is this? / I think they call it hateration / What can you prescribe for this?"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:02 pm

I voted for Break The Ice, Piece Of Me and Get Naked (I Got A Plan)
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Gimme More
Get Naked (I Got A Plan)
Toy Soldier
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:55 pm

E! News convering Blackout's anniversary:

MrLeonix
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 pm

... Another FLAWLESS article from MTV UK!

MTV UK: 10 years of 'blackout': how britney spears reinvented pop music against all odds
On its tenth anniversary, we honour the game-changing album that birthed a new era of pop...

To say 2007 was a difficult time for Britney Spears would be a severe understatement. After leaving her husband at the end of 2006, she briefly became Hollywood’s new party girl before her life hit total chaos in plain view of the world.

A divorce, custody battles, rehab, firing her career-long manager, another go at rehab, giving her own mother a restraining order; a lot went on along with shaving her head, so forget about that meme.

Increasingly isolated and wildly unpredictable is by no means a healthy combination, however in retrospect it’s the combination that lead Britney Spears to make the best album of her career, Blackout.

An escapist album of relentless bangers tailored for the dance floor, the Princess of Pop deafened the noise of camera flashes and news reporters with 808s and throbbing club anthems about two seemingly simple joys in life: love and sex. Lots of sex.

“I’m tired of singing sad songs,” she confesses on the album closer ‘Why Should I Be Sad’, the most low-key track of the bunch and one of only two to directly address events in her personal life.

This solemn declaration comes after 11 songs that wouldn’t ever be characterised as sad. Characterised by her strength, cockiness, sex appeal, romance, sex drive and resilience, any listener unaware of the context would listen to these songs wishing to emulate the confident bad-ass behind the mic.

And for those aware of the context who may have pressed play expecting a collection of unfinished demos or worse, she shut them up in the first second of the album with three iconic words: “It’s Britney, bitch.”

Without any guidelines or pressure for a radio-made hit from management, Britney runs freely along the pulsating, futuristic productions of Danja and electro-pop duo Bloodshy & Avant, who had produced ‘Toxic’ four years prior.

Fully embracing the electronic sound she had flirted with previously on songs like ‘Over To You Now’ and ‘Girls and Boys’, she created a subgenre of her own with the unique incorporations of R&B, heavy synths and what can only be described as grimy dance music.

The hot and heavy tone of the record is so palpable it’s as though the music’s physical manifestation is the brick wall of an underground club: hidden in the dark, moist of strangers’ sweat, and vibrating from the speakers.

While many songs are unabashedly sexual (hello, ‘Get Naked (I Got A Plan)’), the sensuality lies in Britney's incredibly versatile vocal performances and delivery.

Utilising the full range of her voice - the highs, the lows and the downright weird - the superstar was able to experiment with her voice more than ever before, both naturally and innovatively with the help of tech.

After being told early in her career to downplay the Southern soulful tones of her voice in favour for a more through-the-nose pop-friendly sound, the public had been accustomed to her somewhat limited abilities. However, on Blackout there was no limitations as far as what she would do vocally or sonically and this adventurous spirit in the studio birthed an energy so fierce that the music hits just as hard today.

AutoTune and vocal processing really hit the mainstream when Cher released her number one single ‘Believe’ in the late ‘90s, although it was mainly used for pitch correction rather than a way to manipulate the voice.

Britney pushed the limits of processing all across this game-changing in ways like pop had never heard before. From the helium heights of ‘Radar’ to full-blown distortion on ‘Freakshow’, we were introduced to new versions of the pop’s most distinctive voice ranging from robotic to totally unrecognisable.

The level of vocal manipulation quite literally reinvented the way vocals are treated in pop music and further to make great songs even better without relying on the help of others. Blackout being a one-woman show in this respect is a testament to her dedication, independence and drive during the making of the album. She wanted to create her own world and she wanted to do it herself.

Back in 2007 these claims would have been scoffed at, with the digitalisation dismissed as nothing more than a way to compensate for a lack of commitment or talent on her end, when in fact she was totally in charge.

Both the public and critics alike were quick to bash it at the time yet ten years later it’s almost expected from songs, whether it’s by rappers like Future and Lil Uzi Vert or virtually any pop singer in the industry.

This album’s influence - the heavy R&B, grimy electronica, limitless vocal treatment - was plastered over the radio almost immediately with the emergence of Lady Gaga and Ke$ha, as she was then. The latter’s music would likely have been very different had Blackout never been released and the success of songs like ‘Poker Face’ is certainly questionable.

Even now it can still be heard, like with Taylor Swift’s latest reinvention that’s soundtracked to a very bass-heavy brand of ‘dark pop’, as Blackout legend Danja recently noted.

The album’s most tender moment comes with the gorgeous centrepiece ‘Heaven On Earth’. Britney finds serenity on the supersonic disco track reminiscent of Donna Summer’s ‘I Feel Love’ as she blissfully sings about the depths of true - or blind - love.

Sandwiched between two bangers about banging, it’s a sweet fantasy that exposes the hopeless romantic in her that longs for the rush of love as well as lust.

Where Madonna’s Confessions On A Dance Floor was designed to play as one hour-long DJ set that became more personal as it went on, Blackout was very simply created with no other intention than to let Britney escape.

In turn, we have a much more intimate album than one that would’ve laid her woes on the table and we are lucky to have been able to use her utopia as our own escape for the past ten years.

At a time when Miss American Dream seemed to be at her worst, she only proved to us that she’s the best.
Source: http://www.mtv.co.uk/britney-spears/new ... t-all-odds
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby YouMakeMeFeel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 pm

Gimme More
Radar
Outta This World

8-)
Kylie Minogue, Garbage, Simply Red, Coldplay, U2, Janet Jackson, Nine Inch Nails, Tove Lo, Blue October, Godsmack
YouMakeMeFeel
Manager

Postby johnny_d » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 pm

YouMakeMeFeel wrote:Gimme More
Radar
Outta This World

8-)
What a fab top 3! Love Outta This World.

My top 3:

Gimme More
Radar
Hot As Ice
Remember us in AmenJena...

...If we could just go back to the start
johnny_d
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 am

BlueScorpion wrote:There are far other songs deserving though. BTI is a gem and Toy Soldier >>>>>>>>>
I agree ... "Freakshow" is my 4th favorite track on "Blackout" and "Break the ice" is indeed another gem.

BTW, here's another badass instrumental:

Top-notch beats!
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby britboyphil » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:03 am

Break The Ice
Gimme More
Piece Of Me

But when it comes to favorites from Blackout, three is not enough. I also love Hot As Ice, Radar, Ooh Ooh Baby, Get Back, FreakShow, Heaven on Earth.

Memorable Lines.

It's been a while...but im here now
It's Britney Bitch!
You want a piece of me
Living legend you can look but dont touch
Yeah, smashing the radio bet I penned it, Britney, Britney Oh (I super love this)
Yeah (from Get Naked, very eargasmic and orgasmic, excuse my adjective).
britboyphil
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:17 am

MrLeonix wrote:
BlueScorpion wrote:There are far other songs deserving though. BTI is a gem and Toy Soldier >>>>>>>>>
I agree ... "Freakshow" is my 4th favorite track on "Blackout" and "Break the ice" is indeed another gem.

BTW, here's another badass instrumental:

Top-notch beats!
Hadn't heard this one, it's great!
MusicRecords
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:12 am

Chile this is my all time favorite album to workout too (and tied with In The Zone with my all time favorite album of hers).

My top 3 are:

Gimme More
Get Naked - this song will forever be hot. Still as hot as the first time I played it.
Why Should I Be Sad - The most R&B sound Brinty has done.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby mznxbcv » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:29 am

MrLeonix wrote:
Honestly Britney was on hiatus in 2006, she spent most of the year pregnant from her second child (Jayden was born on September 2006), she spent like the first 8 months of the year, resting, quiet, low-profile and doing minor career work, such as recording music for the "Blackout" sessions, co-executive producing her then husband debut album "Playing with fire" which came out as of late 2006 and included a song with her and did a Guest acting work on the hit series "Will & Grace", it wasn't until like the last couple of months of 2006 that she was just seen partying a lot wich raised worries and negative reaction considering she was a new mother, but literally nothing major outside of the p*ssy incicent (which BTW has happened to a bunch of celebrities) and some partying happened in 2006.
I don't know; She was heavily criticized as a mother for most of 2006:

June 16, 2006
In a wide-ranging, rambling interview with Matt Lauer on "Dateline," a pregnant Spears says her marriage is "awesome," blames media scrutiny for making her an "emotional wreck." She is later mocked for incessant gum chewing, sobbing, and overdone makeup.
(Photo: NBC)

May 19, 2006

Spears stumbles outside a Manhattan hotel, nearly dropping her 8-month-old son Sean Preston and further fueling the ever-growing media scrutiny of her parenting skills. It what was called the "baby bobble," Spears is shown holding her son in one hand and a glass in the other.

May 14, 2006

Spears is photographed driving her convertible Mini-Cooper with her 8-month-old son, Sean Preston, in a back seat baby seat, facing forward. Child safety advocates recommend that kids less than a year old sit in car seats facing backward.

April 18, 2006

Child welfare officials and a sheriff's deputy visit Spears' home because her infant son was accidentally dropped from a high chair, according to published reports. Sean Preston fell April 1 as his nanny was lifting him from the high chair and something in the chair snapped, Star magazine reported. The infant slipped from her arms and fell, bruising his head on the floor, the magazine said.

Feb. 6, 2006
DCFS officials visit Spears' home after publication of photographs showing the 24-year-old singer driving a sport utility vehicle in Malibu, Calif., with then 4-month-old Sean Preston in her lap, rather than in a car seat, as is required by law. She first blamed a "horrifying, frightful encounter with the paparazzi," but later said it was a "mistake." No charges were filed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-b ... -meltdown/
mznxbcv
Groupie

Postby Erotica » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:35 am

Break the ice, Get naked, Hot as ice

Outta this world is near though as well as some others
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion