Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin

What is your favorite Celine song produced by Walter Afanasieff

Show Some Emotion (Celine Dion)
2%
If You Could See me Now (Celine Dion)
2%
Halfway To Heaven (Celine Dion)
4%
Beauty and the Beast duet with Peabo Bryson (Celine Dion)
9%
Water from the Moon (Celine Dion)
4%
With This Tear(Celine Dion)
6%
Nothing Broken But my Heart (Celine Dion)
6%
Love You Blind (If You Asked Me to Single)
1%
Love Doesn't Ask Why (The Colour of My Love)
7%
Immortality duet with The Bee Gees (Let's Talk About Love)
14%
Tell Him duet with Barbra Streisand (Let's talk About Love)
8%
My Heart Will Go On (Let's Talk About Love)
13%
A New Day has Come (A New Day Has Come)
21%
Prayer (A New Day Has Come)
3%
Nature Boy (A New Day Has Come)
No votes
Always Be Your Girl (Loved me Back to Life)
No votes

Total votes : 108

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:30 pm

It’s gone viral.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Iiketheair » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:13 pm

I retweeted it when it had 50 rts, hope it goes more viral. The quotes are nothing but LOVE for her.

Queen :cry:
Iiketheair
Roadie

Postby menime123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Wayne wrote:

It’s gone viral.
Surely this is everyone as the singalong to this? :oops: :lol:
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 pm

What a tremendous idea, something new everyday for 30 days until the queen turns 50!

30 Days of Céline Dion: My Heart Will Go On wins big at Oscars

Welcome to the first of 30 days counting down to Céline Dion's 50th birthday on March 30

Quebec singer, businesswoman and all-around icon Céline Dion is turning 50 on March 30, 2018. Every day for the month leading up to this milestone, the Montreal Gazette is revisiting a memorable moment from her career. Today is Day 1 of 30 Days of Céline. Check back in tomorrow for another update.

The night of March 23, 1998 might well be Céline Dion’s most famous moment. That was the 70th Academy Awards soirée at which she took the stage to belt out her signature song, My Heart Will Go On, the theme song from Titanic. The song and the film swept the Oscars that year. The stage was covered in ocean fog, the orchestra was dressed all in white, Dion looked dashing with a big diamond ’round her neck and who could forget the famous chest thumping as the song hit its crescendo.

The tune won the Oscar as best original song and it became one of the best-selling singles of all time. But it’s not universally loved. Titanic star Kate Winslet later said it makes her feeling like throwing up because people keep playing it for her.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen ... -at-oscars
Wayne
Administrator

Postby RayRay » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Wayne wrote:

It’s gone viral.
How can you not hear the difference between backing vocals and ad libs? :lol:
But lovely tweet anyway.
RayRay
Legend

Postby dhenapie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:57 am

^ Exactly my thoughts. She was basically just adding those vocal pyrotechnics on top of the already recorded backing vocals from herself, and Carole.

But that's easily one of the greatest vocal performances ever caught on record. What's more amazing is we always see her actually singing (with those glorious vocals coming out of her tiny mouth) on her recording session clips and not just acting it and pretending it to be the actual recording process. Some artists do that and I find it incredibly cringe worthy and annoying.
See how they follow.
You say jump, they jump.
You say turn, they turn.

- ♕
dhenapie
Manager

Postby Wayne » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:25 pm

30 Days of Céline Dion: 'Take a kayak' comment on CNN came with tears and plea to help victims of Hurricane Katrina

Céline Dion appears on Larry King Live in September 2011 and famously says "take a kayak" in reaction to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Quebec singer, businesswoman and all-around icon Céline Dion is turning 50 on March 30, 2018. Every day for the month leading up to this milestone, the Montreal Gazette is revisiting a memorable moment from her career. Today is Day 2 of 30 Days of Céline. Check back in tomorrow for another update.

In September 2005, Céline Dion appeared on Larry King Live on CNN to talk about her $1-million donation to the American Red Cross to help the people of New Orleans in the aftermath of the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina. Most only remember that Dion said at one point “take a kayak,” basically meaning we have to do whatever it takes to save the people stranded in New Orleans.

That comment led to much derision, with people yet again lampooning her apparently unsophisticated approach to talking about current events. But the funny thing is if you watch the entire interview from start to finish, what jumps out at you is Dion’s raw passion and her unusual street take on politics. Like many, she takes the different levels of government to task for not doing enough for these distressed citizens of New Orleans, many of whom were African-Americans, and she takes a surprisingly radical stance, defending the people looting stores. Oh, and in classic Dion fashion, she is sobbing throughout most of it.

“There’s people still there waiting to be rescued and to me it’s not acceptable,” Dion said. “Some of the people (who loot stores), they’re so poor they’ve never touched anything in their lives. Let them touch these things for once. The main thing now is not the people who’re stealing. It’s the people who’re left there. They’re watching helicopters flying over their heads and they’re praying. Why is it so easy to send planes in another country to kill everyone in a second, to destroy lives. We need to serve our country, and for me, to serve our country is to be there right now to rescue the rest of the people. Maybe I’m not thinking with my head. I’m talking with my heart.”

At this point, King, looking quite taken aback, asks Dion: “Are you OK?”

The whole surreal segment ends with her singing an a-cappella version of her duet with Andrea Bocelli, The Prayer. “I pray you’ll be alright … let this be our prayer when we lose our way … I pray we’ll find your light … give us faith so we’ll be safe.”

It is actually an astonishingly moving moment.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen ... ne-katrina
Wayne
Administrator

Postby pat200 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 pm

it was so sad how people made fun of her for that. had she said that today about a similar event, she would be tweeted support by every breathing thing almost. but back then, it was not socially appropriate to be genuine and express how you felt about a horrible event. one thing i love her for is that no matter what is appropriate or not, she is always going to be her genuine self. and that deserves more respect than all those fake celebrities out there.
pat200
Personal Assistant

Postby CSCfan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Think I'm gonna take a kayak to work on Monday.. :lol:
-Mathias

For the latest Céline Dion news:
LIKE this FB page and FOLLOW this Twitter!
Shania Twain - NOW | Sep 29
The Corrs - JUPITER CALLING | Nov 10
CSCfan
Personal Assistant

Postby Iiketheair » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:12 am

Iconic! The video was tweeted in 2016 and got 30k interactions.
Iiketheair
Roadie

Postby Wayne » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:59 am

Oscars 2018: The most memorable Academy Awards dresses then and now

There have so many headline-making gowns worn at the Oscars over the years. And so, ahead of one of Hollywood's starriest nights we remember the most beautiful, the most extravagant, and most unforgettable dresses on the red carpet, then and now, including iconic celebrity styles worn by Celine Dion, Cate Blanchett and Halle Berry.

THEN: Celine Dion went off-piste with this white back-to-front suit by Galliano for Dior in 1999. The singer paired the backwards tuxedo with a white Dior by Stephen Jones cowboy-esque hat and Ray-Bans diamond-studded shades. The iconic outfit showcased Dion´s unique style before performing at the 71st Oscars.

https://us.hellomagazine.com/fashion/12 ... ll-time/13
I get why it's won - it was a good 15 years ahead of its time - but it's not my favourite. Some other Oscar red carpet photos:

I don't care what anyone says, in that first photo she looks like a Greek Goddess, she looks absolutely stunning.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby CSCfan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:10 am

Wayne wrote:
My fav too.... <3
-Mathias

For the latest Céline Dion news:
LIKE this FB page and FOLLOW this Twitter!
Shania Twain - NOW | Sep 29
The Corrs - JUPITER CALLING | Nov 10
CSCfan
Personal Assistant

Postby Wayne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:25 am

30 Days of Céline Dion: Her show A New Day... revolutionized Vegas

Counting down to Céline Dion's 50th birthday on March 30

Quebec singer, businesswoman and all-around icon Céline Dion is turning 50 on March 30, 2018. Every day for the month leading up to this milestone, the Montreal Gazette is revisiting a memorable moment from her career. Today is Day 3 of 30 Days of Céline. Check back in tomorrow for another update.

Céline Dion’s show A New Day…. premiered March 25, 2003 at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, a 4,000-seat venue built specifically for notre Céline nationale. Prior to the opening, many questioned Dion’s manager René Angélil’s plan to set her up with a permanent residency on The Strip. The notion was that you only go to Vegas when your career is on the ropes.

But Dion and Angélil proved them wrong. She arrived there at the height of her career and the show was an immediate sensation. By the time it wrapped its run on Dec. 15, 2007, it had grossed more than US$385 million and redefined what it meant for stars to play Vegas. Since then, many of the pop world’s top attractions — from Rod Stewart to Elton John to Britney Spears — have set up residencies in Vegas.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen ... ized-vegas
Pioneer.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:50 pm

30 Days of Céline Dion: Drake expresses his admiration for Céline

Céline Dion became cool the minute Drake met her and told her she was "very iconic".

Quebec singer, businesswoman and all-around icon Céline Dion is turning 50 on March 30, 2018. Every day for the month leading up to this milestone, the Montreal Gazette is revisiting a memorable moment from her career. Today is Day 4 of 30 Days of Céline. Check back in tomorrow for another update.

Last year, something strange happened.

People began talking about the notion that Céline Dion might be cool. Dion has been one of the world’s top pop stars for a couple of decades and millions have loved her for years. But cool? That was a whole new thing.

It first gained traction thanks to an essay in Macleans, titled ‘How Céline Dion became cool’, written by Carl Wilson, the author of a thoughtful book about the diva, Celine Dion’s Let’s Talk About Love: A Journey to the End of Taste.

But the Céline-is-cool thing really all really started at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards on May 21, 2017 when Canadian musical royalty met backstage, with Drake and Dion crossing paths. Canada’s leading hip-hop star made no secret of his admiration for the songbird from Charlemagne.

“You’re very iconic,” said Drake. “We love you. I’m like a year away from a Céline tat.”

And that’s all it took. Céline Dion was suddenly cool.
What an awesome year 2017 was for Celine.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Iiketheair » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:56 pm

The last 2 years have been incredible.
Iiketheair
Roadie

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:41 am

https://www.billboard.com/articles/even ... men-videos
2002 -- Celine Dion, "Aun existe amor"
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★2Osc+  10Gram+  5Em+  Tony 
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★Biggest Box office Actress
★Only Artist No.1 in 7 Decades
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Personal Assistant

Postby Wayne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 pm

30 Days of Céline Dion: Eurovision winner, made in Quebec

Credit where it’s due: Switzerland picked an excellent ringer in 1988.

Quebec singer, businesswoman and all-around icon Céline Dion is turning 50 on March 30, 2018. Every day for the month leading up to this milestone, the Montreal Gazette is revisiting a memorable moment from her career. Today is Day 5 of 30 Days of Céline. Check back in tomorrow for another update.

Céline Dion is so closely associated with Quebec and Canada that it’s now nearly impossible to imagine her name appearing next to another flag.

But that’s exactly what happened at the 1988 Eurovision Song Contest, where Céline Dion performed the Swiss entry, Ne partez pas sans moi. Her name even appeared in a chyron next to the Swiss flag as she began to sing.

Credit where it’s due: Switzerland picked an excellent ringer.

Ne partez pas sans moi turns 30 this year. It is older than Ed Sheeran, Cardi B and Camila Cabello, all of whom currently appear in the top five of Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. It has also aged better than most Eurovision performances from the intervening years. Ne partez pas sans moi is very 1988, but it’s the rare Eurovision performance that isn’t a punchline in search of a song.

Naturally, Dion’s performance of Ne partez pas sans moi won the 1988 Eurovision Song Contest. Do try and contain your shock.

What a legendary moment this has become - cannot believe it's 30 years old this year.

That night, Europe was introduced to a LEGEND.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby jochen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:38 pm

She wasnt known at this time in europe wayn
She became a Legend with the Titanic song

I Think she was known in french speaking countries i think.
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
jochen
Manager

Postby Wayne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 pm

jochen wrote:She wasnt known at this time in europe wayn
I didn't mean she was a legend on that night - I was talking about looking back retrospectively, and that night Europe was introduced to a legend (even if they didn't know it at that point).
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Randomly heard ‘Think Twice’ the other day. What an amazing song. Might be my Céline fave. Such a powerful song.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby RayRay » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 pm

jochen wrote:She wasnt known at this time in europe wayn

I Think she was known in french speaking countries i think.
Do your homework, jochen.

Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi was the song that made her win Eurovision in 1988. It's one of the most popular tv-shows in Europe. Although it was just a minor hit here, she did introduce herself and at many Eurovision-tv-shows, Celine is mentioned.

She had her first top 40 hit here in 1991 with Where Does My Heart Beat Now. Two more in 1992 with Beauty And The Beast and If You Asked Me To. In 1994 she hit the top 40 with The Power Of Love.

In 1995 she became a household name in Europe with Think Twice. It sold over a million copies in the UK alone.
It hit #1 in the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, Norway, Sweden.
It went #2 in the European HOT 100.

She also had a top 10 hit that year with Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore. Not only in French speaking countries, but also here in the Netherlands and even in the UK.

1996 followed with hits like Because You Loved Me and It's All Coming Back To Me Now.

She also had a huge hit with the Barbra Streisand duet Tell Him before Titanic.

By the time Titanic hit the cinemas, Celine was a superstar already.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Christinamuse » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Benjamin wrote:Randomly heard ‘Think Twice’ the other day. What an amazing song. Might be my Céline fave. Such a powerful song.
yes, incredible song. And this is my most favorite live performance. She sounds amazing and look fabulous!)

https://www.last.fm/user/Christinamuse
https://www.instagram.com/christinasinglove/

Music creates the feelings which you can't find in life
Christinamuse
Manager

Postby Christinamuse » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:31 pm

New, old video for At Last song. love her performance, but to be honest not a fan of this soul blues song.
https://www.last.fm/user/Christinamuse
https://www.instagram.com/christinasinglove/

Music creates the feelings which you can't find in life
Christinamuse
Manager

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 am

30 Days of Céline Dion: Singing for the pope at the age of 16

One of the highlights of Céline Dion's early career was a performance in front of Pope John Paul II and 65,000 at the Olympic Stadium in September 1984.

Quebec singer, businesswoman and all-around icon Céline Dion is turning 50 on March 30, 2018. Every day for the month leading up to this milestone, the Montreal Gazette is revisiting a memorable moment from her career. Today is Day 6 of 30 Days of Céline. Check back in tomorrow for another update.

It was one of the first signs that Céline Dion was going to be more than just another Québécois pop vedette. She had already had quite a bit of local chart success by the age of 16, but the Dion story started showing its first sign of epic over-the-topness when she performed for Pope John Paul II and 65,000 of his closest friends at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal on Sept. 10, 1984.She had already performed at the Big O, singing the national anthems at an Expos game, but this was obviously a much more prestigious event. She sang Une colombe, from her album Mélanie, released earlier that year, and it turned out to be one of the biggest hits in Canada. It also went on to win two Félix Awards at the ADISQ Gala that fall, as bestselling single and pop song of the year.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen ... r-the-pope
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:57 am

30 Days of Céline Dion: South Africa show fulfilled promise to Nelson Mandela

Céline Dion said that meeting South African anti-apartheid activist and former president Nelson Mandela changed her life.

Quebec singer, businesswoman and all-around icon Céline Dion is turning 50 on March 30, 2018. Each day for the month leading up to this milestone, the Montreal Gazette is revisiting a memorable moment from her career. Today is Day 7 of 30 Days of Céline. Check back in tomorrow for another update.

Some pop stars — a certain Irish frontman with a funny haircut comes to mind — love to do politics, but Céline Dion has almost always avoided making any overt political statements throughout her lengthy career. That’s why her close connection to Nelson Mandela seems so unusual.

She met the man who led the South African anti-apartheid movement after her first-ever concert in Johannesburg at the kick-off of the Taking Chances world tour in February 2008 and when she was there, she told journalists she was doing the show to make good on a promise that she had made to the former South African president two years earlier. Apparently, Mandela had called Dion in Las Vegas to ask if she would come to play in South Africa.

When Mandela died in December 2013, Dion told ET that the meeting with Mandela changed her life.

“Having the opportunity of meeting him was truly a profound experience,” she said.

She even went as far as naming one of her sons Nelson in honour of the South African leader. Nelson is one of a pair of twins born in October 2010. (The other twin is named Eddy in honour of French songwriter Eddy Marnay, who worked with Dion early in her career.)

“He changed our lives,” Dion said. “He became, and will always remain, such a beautiful emotional balance of positivity and strength. I can’t think of any other name that could reflect so much.”

Who would’ve thunk it? Céline Dion, freedom fighter.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen ... on-mandela
Wayne
Administrator

Return to General Artists Discussion