Madonna

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin

 

Favourite Awards Show Performance

Like a Virgin (VMAs 1984)
13
7%
Express Yourself (VMAs 1989)
16
8%
Vogue (VMAs 1990)
40
21%
Sooner of Later (Academy Awards 1991)
16
8%
Bye Bye Baby (VMAs 1993)
2
1%
Take a Bow (American Music Awards 1995)
3
2%
Bedtime Story (Brit Awards 1995)
10
5%
You Must Love Me (Academy Awards 1997)
3
2%
Shanti/Ashtangi, Ray of Light (VMAs 1998)
5
3%
Music (EMAs 2000)
8
4%
Like a Virgin/Hollywood (VMAs 2003)
26
13%
Hung Up (EMAs 2005)
27
14%
Feel Good Inc./Hung Up (Grammys 2006)
11
6%
Living For Love (Brit Awards 2015)
10
5%
Prince Tribute (Billboard Music Awards 2016)
0
No votes
Other (Please Specify)
4
2%
 
Total votes : 194

Postby QueenMadonna » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 pm

MrHat wrote:And also
Zürich Switzerland Militärflugplatz Dübendorf 70,314 / 70,314 $11,093,631
Sticky and Sweet tour - 2008
I forget it :oops:
User avatar
QueenMadonna
Roadie
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017

Postby QueenMadonna » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Westen wrote:
MrHat wrote:And also
Zürich Switzerland Militärflugplatz Dübendorf 70,314 / 70,314 $11,093,631
Sticky and Sweet tour - 2008
He's been posting fake, irrelevant news for some time now. Let's ignore him.
Bitch get off my pole 8-)
User avatar
QueenMadonna
Roadie
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017

Postby MrHat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 pm

QueenMadonna wrote:
MrHat wrote:what about ?

Gothenburg Sweden Ullevi Stadium 119,709 / 119,709 $14,595,91

Sticky and sweet tour 2009
My list is about only single shows. That numbers are two shows :wink:
oh Sorry my bad.
User avatar
MrHat
Manager
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009

Postby MrHat » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:52 pm

i just came across this from The Rebel Heart Tour
Macau Studio City Event Center 7,446 / 7,446 $8,265,771

That makes the average price paid per ticket to be about $1110. That's just insane !!!!!!!
Are there any other shows with the same numbers?
User avatar
MrHat
Manager
 
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009

Postby QueenMadonna » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:02 pm

MrHat wrote:i just came across this from The Rebel Heart Tour
Macau Studio City Event Center 7,446 / 7,446 $8,265,771

That makes the average price paid per ticket to be about $1110. That's just insane !!!!!!!
Are there any other shows with the same numbers?
They're the highest price paid per ticktes for Madonna's shows ever :o
User avatar
QueenMadonna
Roadie
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:21 pm

MrLeonix wrote:The funny thing is that most people here don't realize Madonna is actually my #1 female fave. Ask every person that has run a females countdown thread in here and they'll tell you that I've always Madonna as my #1 and Britney always #2. :)

So yep, I'm not just a Britney fan. I'm a fan of many artists and Rock music and Madonna is my #1 female and hell yeah can give criticism whatever the hell I want. :wink:
Then you need to come in here more often... just try not to piss off the regulars :lol:

I’m a huge Britney fan too. She is very obviously a huge Madonna fan herself, but what I like about that is she is inspired by Madonna in the right way... unlike others.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:26 pm

AlphaMale wrote:
RayRay wrote:Where's AlphaMale?
Back from a wonderful vacation at the Dominican Republic :D
Good to hear. :D
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 7190
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Westen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Warner uploaded Human Nature!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPL_qGqSJxA

It's almost 10 years since most artists out there got their whole videographies uploaded on vevo, and Madonna is only getting few uploads this year, once again on channel that is irrelevant to her. Her legacy online is treated like a joke :roll:
User avatar
Westen
Superstar
 
Posts: 9464
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Come on Madonna... give us something new :lol:

Next month it’s 2 years since she released her first 6 songs from Rebel Heart. I was reading up on the album the other day and the turn around of how those 6 came to be on iTunes - I never realised she finished off the production herself and then mastered them herself... all within 48 hours of getting the go ahead from iTunes.

(Good job the airbrushing was finished on the album cover) :lol:

I always found it odd she released Ghostown in the initial 6 songs, considering it hadn’t leaked. I’m always fairly annoyed she ended up releasing 3 singles from the first 6 songs put on iTunes... I know it was all last minute, but in hindsight she should have saved a Ghostown and BIM until the album dropped.

I have a strange relationship with Rebel Heart. I only sort of like some of the songs, some I sort of think are quite subpar and others I think are some of the strongest tracks she’s ever done. But please don’t ask me which category LFL falls into - I like it much more when I’m listening to it than I do when I’m rating it :lol:

The ‘problem’ I have with LFL is that despite the structure of the song (which is very Madonna) I don’t think it’s lead single material. I find very little of Madonna in the song actually. The other thing is that Madonna lead singles tend to introduce the album sound - and the only song that sounds like LFL is LFL. It doesn’t represent the album at all for me.

My favourite song - from the very first listen - was always Devil Pray. When I bought the songs from iTunes and listened, I loved it so much on first listen I went back and listened to it again instantly - screw other new Madonna songs, I needed to hear this again. I love the dark sound, it’s such a brilliant lyric and Madonna singing about religion - its everything my Madonna does, and I hadn’t heard it in quite a while. The other song that stood out instantly as my Madonna was Bitch I’m Madonna. I know it gets a bad rap, but I love it.

The song I can’t stand is HeartbreakCity. I doesn’t go anywhere and really brings the mood down imo. I’m not the biggest fan of the album version of Rebel Heart. I find it very hard to accept that version when I know the original version would have been a huge hit for her.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Westen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

menime123 wrote:Next month it’s 2 years since she released her first 6 songs from Rebel Heart.
It's 3 years.

3 years after MDNA era started RH was about to be released, 3 years after RH era started we have nothing, and she's not even in studio. :lol:
User avatar
Westen
Superstar
 
Posts: 9464
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

^ To me Living For Love sounded so epic. To me it felt like a true lead single like most of her lead singles. Usually very well chosen. I still don't understand why I seem one of the few that actually cares for this song.
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 7190
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Westen wrote:
menime123 wrote:Next month it’s 2 years since she released her first 6 songs from Rebel Heart.
It's 3 years.

3 years after MDNA era started RH was about to be released, 3 years after RH era started we have nothing, and she's not even in studio. :lol:
Image

It was a typo... honest :lol:
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby JJeffs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:06 pm

RayRay wrote:^ To me Living For Love sounded so epic. To me it felt like a true lead single like most of her lead singles. Usually very well chosen. I still don't understand why I seem one of the few that actually cares for this song.
I don't think it's terrible, but I don't like her froggy-sounding vocals. The background vocals do a lot for it, and the production is ace. For me, overall, it was just kinda generic, with a generic message (albeit a well-intentioned and important one), and kinda hokey in the lyric department.
User avatar
JJeffs
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:08 pm

I know Madonna grew up a Joni fan, but by god I hope one day we’ll get a song like this...



Madonna singing over an instrumental like that (in her lower register) would just be perfection.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Just hoping she never covers Both Sides Now. There are so many artists out there that have sung this song.
Not much change she can add something that hasn't been done before.
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 7190
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 pm

JJeffs wrote:
RayRay wrote:^ To me Living For Love sounded so epic. To me it felt like a true lead single like most of her lead singles. Usually very well chosen. I still don't understand why I seem one of the few that actually cares for this song.
I don't think it's terrible, but I don't like her froggy-sounding vocals. The background vocals do a lot for it, and the production is ace. For me, overall, it was just kinda generic, with a generic message (albeit a well-intentioned and important one), and kinda hokey in the lyric department.
For me, it doesn’t go anywhere. It should be building up to this huge choir part where they just sort of take over the entire song... with the music and Madonna fading out leaving the choir singing their bit a cappella. Basically the song doesn’t build up to that euphoric moment it needs. It should have been a bit like LAP actually, where she let the choir take centre stage.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 pm

RayRay wrote:Just hoping she never covers Both Sides Now. There are so many artists out there that have sung this song.
Not much change she can add something that hasn't been done before.
I wouldn’t want a cover (unless it was live). But it’s such s beautiful song... Madonn needs a beautiful song atm imo. It would work wonders for her.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Yoshie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:16 pm

menime: we share the same favourite and least favourite songs from Rebel Heart.

I still love the Rebel Heart record. It's definitely her most bloated album due to the expansiveness of the tracklist, but there was a lot of quality material on the record that I think often gets overlooked by her fanbase. It was by no means an experimental release, but listening to the demo recordings and the finalised versions is a very interesting experience; there are sometimes many discrepancies between the demo and the completed song that, to me, reveal the Rebel Heart recording sessions to have been some very creative ones. I know it was total hell for Madonna that those demos leaked, but to a point I'm glad we got them because it gave us fans a lot of insight into the changes that a song can go through throughout the recording process, that the many incarnations a song can have can be intriguing and sometimes surprising.
Yoshie
Legend
 
Posts: 22100
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:20 pm

I love the intro of Living For Love where it's all about Madonna's voice.
I love the lyrics.
Then when the chorus kicks in, you realise this is so catchy and unforgetable.
And the backing vocals give it something really up lifting.
To me it's like a modern day Like A Prayer.
It's very empowering.
User avatar
RayRay
Superstar
 
Posts: 7190
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm

I liked "Living for love" a lot at first, but it aged really bad for me now, also I don't like its vocal production, some of the album tracks also have bad vocal production.

"Ghosttown" was IMO the best single.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
User avatar
MrLeonix
Legend
 
Posts: 18443
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013

Postby luckyONE » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 pm

RayRay wrote:I love the intro of Living For Love where it's all about Madonna's voice.
I love the lyrics.
Then when the chorus kicks in, you realise this is so catchy and unforgetable.
And the backing vocals give it something really up lifting.
To me it's like a modern day Like A Prayer.
It's very empowering.
"Living For Love" is in my Top 3 favorite lead singles by her. It was a great return for her, especially after the lackluster that the "MDNA" era was. The Grammy performance of it (where Taylor Swift was shown dancing and singing along) is amazing.
A shame they used the really bad remix of this song on the tour, though. I barely remember anything from that performance (and I've seen the tour live) because I just didn't care for this version.
User avatar
luckyONE
Superstar
 
Posts: 7330
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Yoshie wrote:menime: we share the same favourite and least favourite songs from Rebel Heart.

I still love the Rebel Heart record. It's definitely her most bloated album due to the expansiveness of the tracklist, but there was a lot of quality material on the record that I think often gets overlooked by her fanbase. It was by no means an experimental release, but listening to the demo recordings and the finalised versions is a very interesting experience; there are sometimes many discrepancies between the demo and the completed song that, to me, reveal the Rebel Heart recording sessions to have been some very creative ones. I know it was total hell for Madonna that those demos leaked, but to a point I'm glad we got them because it gave us fans a lot of insight into the changes that a song can go through throughout the recording process, that the many incarnations a song can have can be intriguing and sometimes surprising.
Its been years since I listened to the demo version of the officially released versions. I remember being quite disappointed her vocals were the same takes in both demo and final versions - I found it incredibly lazy. I always believed she crafted vocals around the final version of the track, rather than crafting the track around the vocals, so at the time it felt like she had recorded a bunch of songs and was simply shopping them around to producers to see what they came up with for her. Which is what happened... and whilst I have no doubts she wasn’t hugely involved in the production side, I prefer it when Madonna and her one producer are sat in a studio coming up with something amazing between them - like she did with Mirwais and Stuart Price. I like the idea of an intimate setting for creativity... too many cooks and what not.

What strikes me about all of the demos is how many different sounds she ended up exploring. One of my biggest criticisms of the album is the album ‘sound’ actually - it’s not concise, it isn’t obvious and it isn’t infectious. I find ‘the sound’ (which Madonna is famous for finding per album) quite... flat actually. There’s nothing special about the sound of the album overall. Even MDNA felt like it had more of an identity. Part of me wishes she’d just handed the lot to Diplo and got him to produce the lot, rather than giving them to everyone.

Which is why having the original version of Rebel Heart is both a blessing and a curse... it’s a constant reminder of what might have been.

But don’t get me wrong - I think as songs they are very well written. There’s quite a good mix of deep lyrics and frivolous stuff, and there’s plenty of hooks to learn and love.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:36 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
"Ghosttown" was IMO the best single.
Agreed - and the video was amazing. But truthfully I don’t think there were many worthy single condensers to be honest. Nothing else aside from the 3 singles feel like they would have been worthy additions to her singles catalogue. I thought JOA could have worked, but I’m glad she didn’t release it. Bodyshop might have, but it was perhaps too frivolous a song. Rebel Heart might have worked as a 4th dingle actually.

One song I think is undereated is Best Night. I really wish she had included it on the tour and could have worked as a decent follow up to Ghostown.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby luckyONE » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 pm

"Ghosttown" on the other hand is one of my least 5 Madonna singles of all time. I get bored of it while listening to it. The video - as far as I remember it- was pretty nice, though.
User avatar
luckyONE
Superstar
 
Posts: 7330
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Westen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

I like RH, it was massive step up after disgusting MDNA. But the fact is that she lost her identity, both times she let other people do more than her. Both albums are tragically mastered, some songs are louder. That's how much she cared about final products! Couldn't even bothered to listen whole albums to check if they were mastered properly.
Both times she listened what her kids said. If anything she exposed herself as very insecure when she was giving interviews about leaks, she had no vision. She started overthinking everything.

If that's how it's gonna be from now on i HOPE she never releases new music again.
User avatar
Westen
Superstar
 
Posts: 9464
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013

Return to General Artists Discussion