Bye Bye Baby (VMAs 1993)
1%
Take a Bow (American Music Awards 1995)
1%
Bedtime Story (Brit Awards 1995)
4%
You Must Love Me (Academy Awards 1997)
2%
Shanti/Ashtangi, Ray of Light (VMAs 1998)
2%
Music (EMAs 2000)
4%
Like a Virgin/Hollywood (VMAs 2003)
12%
Hung Up (EMAs 2005)
14%
Feel Good Inc./Hung Up (Grammys 2006)
6%
Living For Love (Brit Awards 2015)
4%
Prince Tribute (Billboard Music Awards 2016)
No votes
Other (Please Specify)
3%

Total votes : 161

Postby Westen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

menime123 wrote:Next month it’s 2 years since she released her first 6 songs from Rebel Heart.
It's 3 years.

3 years after MDNA era started RH was about to be released, 3 years after RH era started we have nothing, and she's not even in studio. :lol:
Westen
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

^ To me Living For Love sounded so epic. To me it felt like a true lead single like most of her lead singles. Usually very well chosen. I still don't understand why I seem one of the few that actually cares for this song.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Westen wrote:
menime123 wrote:Next month it’s 2 years since she released her first 6 songs from Rebel Heart.
It's 3 years.

3 years after MDNA era started RH was about to be released, 3 years after RH era started we have nothing, and she's not even in studio. :lol:

It was a typo... honest :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby JJeffs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:06 pm

RayRay wrote:^ To me Living For Love sounded so epic. To me it felt like a true lead single like most of her lead singles. Usually very well chosen. I still don't understand why I seem one of the few that actually cares for this song.
I don't think it's terrible, but I don't like her froggy-sounding vocals. The background vocals do a lot for it, and the production is ace. For me, overall, it was just kinda generic, with a generic message (albeit a well-intentioned and important one), and kinda hokey in the lyric department.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:08 pm

I know Madonna grew up a Joni fan, but by god I hope one day we’ll get a song like this...

Madonna singing over an instrumental like that (in her lower register) would just be perfection.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:11 pm

Just hoping she never covers Both Sides Now. There are so many artists out there that have sung this song.
Not much change she can add something that hasn't been done before.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:13 pm

JJeffs wrote:
RayRay wrote:^ To me Living For Love sounded so epic. To me it felt like a true lead single like most of her lead singles. Usually very well chosen. I still don't understand why I seem one of the few that actually cares for this song.
I don't think it's terrible, but I don't like her froggy-sounding vocals. The background vocals do a lot for it, and the production is ace. For me, overall, it was just kinda generic, with a generic message (albeit a well-intentioned and important one), and kinda hokey in the lyric department.
For me, it doesn’t go anywhere. It should be building up to this huge choir part where they just sort of take over the entire song... with the music and Madonna fading out leaving the choir singing their bit a cappella. Basically the song doesn’t build up to that euphoric moment it needs. It should have been a bit like LAP actually, where she let the choir take centre stage.
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:14 pm

RayRay wrote:Just hoping she never covers Both Sides Now. There are so many artists out there that have sung this song.
Not much change she can add something that hasn't been done before.
I wouldn’t want a cover (unless it was live). But it’s such s beautiful song... Madonn needs a beautiful song atm imo. It would work wonders for her.
menime123
Superstar

Postby Yoshie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:16 pm

menime: we share the same favourite and least favourite songs from Rebel Heart.

I still love the Rebel Heart record. It's definitely her most bloated album due to the expansiveness of the tracklist, but there was a lot of quality material on the record that I think often gets overlooked by her fanbase. It was by no means an experimental release, but listening to the demo recordings and the finalised versions is a very interesting experience; there are sometimes many discrepancies between the demo and the completed song that, to me, reveal the Rebel Heart recording sessions to have been some very creative ones. I know it was total hell for Madonna that those demos leaked, but to a point I'm glad we got them because it gave us fans a lot of insight into the changes that a song can go through throughout the recording process, that the many incarnations a song can have can be intriguing and sometimes surprising.
Yoshie
Legend

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:20 pm

I love the intro of Living For Love where it's all about Madonna's voice.
I love the lyrics.
Then when the chorus kicks in, you realise this is so catchy and unforgetable.
And the backing vocals give it something really up lifting.
To me it's like a modern day Like A Prayer.
It's very empowering.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm

I liked "Living for love" a lot at first, but it aged really bad for me now, also I don't like its vocal production, some of the album tracks also have bad vocal production.

"Ghosttown" was IMO the best single.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 pm

RayRay wrote:I love the intro of Living For Love where it's all about Madonna's voice.
I love the lyrics.
Then when the chorus kicks in, you realise this is so catchy and unforgetable.
And the backing vocals give it something really up lifting.
To me it's like a modern day Like A Prayer.
It's very empowering.
"Living For Love" is in my Top 3 favorite lead singles by her. It was a great return for her, especially after the lackluster that the "MDNA" era was. The Grammy performance of it (where Taylor Swift was shown dancing and singing along) is amazing.
A shame they used the really bad remix of this song on the tour, though. I barely remember anything from that performance (and I've seen the tour live) because I just didn't care for this version.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Yoshie wrote:menime: we share the same favourite and least favourite songs from Rebel Heart.

I still love the Rebel Heart record. It's definitely her most bloated album due to the expansiveness of the tracklist, but there was a lot of quality material on the record that I think often gets overlooked by her fanbase. It was by no means an experimental release, but listening to the demo recordings and the finalised versions is a very interesting experience; there are sometimes many discrepancies between the demo and the completed song that, to me, reveal the Rebel Heart recording sessions to have been some very creative ones. I know it was total hell for Madonna that those demos leaked, but to a point I'm glad we got them because it gave us fans a lot of insight into the changes that a song can go through throughout the recording process, that the many incarnations a song can have can be intriguing and sometimes surprising.
Its been years since I listened to the demo version of the officially released versions. I remember being quite disappointed her vocals were the same takes in both demo and final versions - I found it incredibly lazy. I always believed she crafted vocals around the final version of the track, rather than crafting the track around the vocals, so at the time it felt like she had recorded a bunch of songs and was simply shopping them around to producers to see what they came up with for her. Which is what happened... and whilst I have no doubts she wasn’t hugely involved in the production side, I prefer it when Madonna and her one producer are sat in a studio coming up with something amazing between them - like she did with Mirwais and Stuart Price. I like the idea of an intimate setting for creativity... too many cooks and what not.

What strikes me about all of the demos is how many different sounds she ended up exploring. One of my biggest criticisms of the album is the album ‘sound’ actually - it’s not concise, it isn’t obvious and it isn’t infectious. I find ‘the sound’ (which Madonna is famous for finding per album) quite... flat actually. There’s nothing special about the sound of the album overall. Even MDNA felt like it had more of an identity. Part of me wishes she’d just handed the lot to Diplo and got him to produce the lot, rather than giving them to everyone.

Which is why having the original version of Rebel Heart is both a blessing and a curse... it’s a constant reminder of what might have been.

But don’t get me wrong - I think as songs they are very well written. There’s quite a good mix of deep lyrics and frivolous stuff, and there’s plenty of hooks to learn and love.
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:36 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
"Ghosttown" was IMO the best single.
Agreed - and the video was amazing. But truthfully I don’t think there were many worthy single condensers to be honest. Nothing else aside from the 3 singles feel like they would have been worthy additions to her singles catalogue. I thought JOA could have worked, but I’m glad she didn’t release it. Bodyshop might have, but it was perhaps too frivolous a song. Rebel Heart might have worked as a 4th dingle actually.

One song I think is undereated is Best Night. I really wish she had included it on the tour and could have worked as a decent follow up to Ghostown.
menime123
Superstar

Postby luckyONE » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 pm

"Ghosttown" on the other hand is one of my least 5 Madonna singles of all time. I get bored of it while listening to it. The video - as far as I remember it- was pretty nice, though.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Westen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

I like RH, it was massive step up after disgusting MDNA. But the fact is that she lost her identity, both times she let other people do more than her. Both albums are tragically mastered, some songs are louder. That's how much she cared about final products! Couldn't even bothered to listen whole albums to check if they were mastered properly.
Both times she listened what her kids said. If anything she exposed herself as very insecure when she was giving interviews about leaks, she had no vision. She started overthinking everything.

If that's how it's gonna be from now on i HOPE she never releases new music again.
Westen
Superstar

Postby JJeffs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:43 pm

luckyONE wrote:"Ghosttown" on the other hand is one of my least 5 Madonna singles of all time. I get bored of it while listening to it. The video - as far as I remember it- was pretty nice, though.
That's a good description of how I feel about Ghosttown - bored. Nice song, nice video, but bland and formulaic. Comparing it to a song like Live To Tell, it has none of the atmospherics that LTT has. I feel the same way about Devil Wouldn't Recognize You - it's far more cookie-cutter than epic. But the potential was there.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby spiritboy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:49 pm

MDNA > Rebel Heart

No matter how many times i'll listen to RH, nothing will change my opinion. Though last three Madonna albums are a big step down from Confessions album. Let's hope Portugal inspires her in the right direction.

And maybe she's recording new songs but don't wanna let anyone know in case leaks happen?
spiritboy
Legend

Postby JJeffs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:51 pm

spiritboy wrote:Let's hope Portugal inspires her in the right direction.

And maybe she's recording new songs but don't wanna let anyone know in case leaks happen?
I think it has and I think she is. Her following Mirwais on instagram is a good sign. her posting videos of her singing/playing on instagram is also a good sign. she seems in the zone and inspired.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:54 pm

menime123 wrote:I don’t think there were many worthy single condensers to be honest. Nothing else aside from the 3 singles feel like they would have been worthy additions to her singles catalogue.
I think "Rebel heart" (song) and "Devil Pray" could have been nice singles.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby QueenMadonna » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Devil Pray should've been released as single with a controversial video music a la Like a Prayer.
QueenMadonna
Groupie

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Never saw this RH interview before... 15 minutes on music, making the album, her colabs and ageism. I wish we had more interviews like this (but with grills).
menime123
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:04 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
menime123 wrote:I don’t think there were many worthy single condensers to be honest. Nothing else aside from the 3 singles feel like they would have been worthy additions to her singles catalogue.
Agreed!

I think 'Rebel Heart' singles should have been:

01. Living For Love
02. Devil Pray
03. Rebel Heart
04. Ghosttown
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:05 pm

JJeffs wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Let's hope Portugal inspires her in the right direction.

I think it has and I think she is. Her following Mirwais on instagram is a good sign. her posting videos of her singing/playing on instagram is also a good sign. she seems in the zone and inspired.
True. Mirwais is a random follow as he doesn’t seem to use Instagram. I really hope she’s recording. I don’t believe she is but I’d love it if she were.
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Benjamin wrote:
MrLeonix wrote:
Agreed!

I think 'Rebel Heart' singles should have been:

01. Living For Love
02. Devil Pray
03. Rebel Heart
04. Ghosttown
Devil Pray is my favourite song on the album but I don’t see how it would have worked as a single.
menime123
Superstar

Return to General Artists Discussion