Madonna

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, Benjamin, bm08

 

Fave?

Easy Ride
36
56%
How High
28
44%
 
Total votes : 64

Postby madfan13 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Yoshie wrote:There is some unnecessary repetition of parts -- usually the bridge -- in some songs ('Waiting', 'In This Life' in reference to the bridge; 'Fever' and 'Why's It So Hard?' could also have a section or two cut), but for me that's the only major issue with Erotica on the whole. The live arrangement of 'Why's It So Hard?' from The Girlie Show (GREAT performance) is better than the album arrangement and the video version of 'Fever' rightfully removes said repetition.
WHAT? This is one of the wonderful things about Erotica! The songs don’t follow the typical pop song time/structure formula (songs being between 3 and 3:45 mins long), but rather more like a jazzy, urban one.... there was more experimentation in this album.. it’s wonderful. You
.:JUANito:.
madfan13
Roadie
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007
Location: London, United Kingdom

Postby Yoshie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:56 pm

I still think that the songs would have an unconventional composition instead of following a typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus arrangement without some of the repetition. :wink: For me, like I said in one of my above posts, such repetition in the album was mostly due to a trend where many artists were wanting to fill up an entire disc of space after the CD format came into fashion in the early 90s.
Yoshie
Legend
 
Posts: 23702
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006

Postby NothingFails » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Impressive Instant is my fave of that poll question. That song was immediately my fave as soon as I bought "Music"
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby BodyShop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:08 pm

NothingFails wrote:Impressive Instant is my fave of that poll question. That song was immediately my fave as soon as I bought "Music"
It was an instant fave of mine as well,along with Don't Tell Me.
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby NothingFails » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 pm

BodyShop wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Impressive Instant is my fave of that poll question. That song was immediately my fave as soon as I bought "Music"
It was an instant fave of mine as well,along with Don't Tell Me.
I remember thinking I bought a defective cd the first time I heard the intro of DTM :lol: :lol: :lol:

What It Feels Like For A Girl and Paradise were immediate for me too, though I actually had known Paradise months in advance since it leaked back in the spring of 2000.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:17 pm

NothingFails wrote:
BodyShop wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Impressive Instant is my fave of that poll question. That song was immediately my fave as soon as I bought "Music"
It was an instant fave of mine as well,along with Don't Tell Me.
I remember thinking I bought a defective cd the first time I heard the intro of DTM :lol: :lol: :lol:
Impressive Instant was an instant favorite of mine too.
It also took me some time to get used to the intro of Don't Tell Me.

Instant favorites of mine:
Impressive Instant
I Deserve It
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Yoshie wrote:
AlphaMale wrote:
CandyShop wrote:#justyceforJimmyJimmy

Don’t understand the hate for this song.

Btw True Blue the album as whole, is a smash, pop masterpiece!!
I second that. It's pop perfection.
These lies. :lol:

I've been listening to True Blue and admittedly it has grown on me recently, but 'Jimmy Jimmy' and 'Love Makes the World Go Round' are horrendous -- two of the absolute worst of her career -- and 'Where's the Party?', despite being perfectly melodic, has dated horribly. There's a huge discrepancy between the singles and the album tracks, more so on that album than any of her others, in my opinion, even though it's collectively a lot stronger than, say, Like a Virgin from the same period.
I wonder if you lived through this era. Back then all songs sounded as could-be-hits. Other fans I knew at the time, thought the same. It's hard to judge the songs now. The hits have become classics. But if Jimmy Jimmy had a fab video and reached the top 10 everywhere and if La Isla Bonita would just remained an album track, I wonder if we'd look down on Jimmy Jimmy now and if we'd thought of La Isla Bonita as "okay, but never would have this been a hit".
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby BodyShop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm

NothingFails wrote:
BodyShop wrote:
NothingFails wrote:Impressive Instant is my fave of that poll question. That song was immediately my fave as soon as I bought "Music"
It was an instant fave of mine as well,along with Don't Tell Me.
I remember thinking I bought a defective cd the first time I heard the intro of DTM :lol: :lol: :lol:

What It Feels Like For A Girl and Paradise were immediate for me too, though I actually had known Paradise months in advance since it leaked back in the spring of 2000.
These love/hate feelings you immediately get once you hear are song are so interesting lol.
For me,most of the times I don't like a song from the get go,I will never get into it.
That happened with What It Feels Like For A Girl.
I always found it so bland ... I would even say ,it's boring for me. Though the lyrics are quite good.
I adore Paradise but I remember not feeling it on the first listens .
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby BodyShop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:25 pm

@RayRay:you are spot on.
Actually,Jimmy Jimmy was a favorite for many people back then.
I remember it even got played by some radios here in Brazil( out of their own interest,I suppose).
Some tv shows even used it as background music. It was an extremely catchy pop song back in those days.
Don't know if the same happened in other countries.
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby NothingFails » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:25 pm

I remember when Paradise leaked, burning it onto a cd (those days lol) and remember driving around a lot at 2-3 am listening to it over and over again, I still associate that song with the dead of night and calm.
NothingFails
Legend
 
Posts: 44411
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:26 pm

BodyShop wrote:These love/hate feelings you immediately get once you hear are song are so interesting lol.
For me,most of the times I don't like a song from the get go,I will never get into it.
That happened with What It Feels Like For A Girl.
I always found it so bland ... I would even say ,it's boring for me. Though the lyrics are quite good.
I adore Paradise but I remember not feeling it on the first listens .
One of the reasons I love Madonna so much, is because most of her songs are so infectious that she is one of the very few artists where I love a song on first listen. This was especially true for me on her 80s albums.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 pm

BodyShop wrote:@RayRay:you are spot on.
Actually,Jimmy Jimmy was a favorite for many people back then.
I remember it even got played by some radios here in Brazil( out of their own interest,I suppose).
Some tv shows even used it as background music. It was an extremely catchy pop song back in those days.
Don't know if the same happened in other countries.
Although I didn't hear it on the radio back then, it was the most favorite song of most of my classmates.
Therefor I was sure it would be one of the forthcoming singles.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby BodyShop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 pm

NothingFails wrote:I remember when Paradise leaked, burning it onto a cd (those days lol) and remember driving around a lot at 2-3 am listening to it over and over again, I still associate that song with the dead of night and calm.
Wow,I didn't know it leaked back then.
Madonna's messy history with leaks goes waaaaaay further than I thought then :lol:
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby BodyShop » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:29 pm

RayRay wrote:
BodyShop wrote:@RayRay:you are spot on.
Actually,Jimmy Jimmy was a favorite for many people back then.
I remember it even got played by some radios here in Brazil( out of their own interest,I suppose).
Some tv shows even used it as background music. It was an extremely catchy pop song back in those days.
Don't know if the same happened in other countries.
Although I didn't hear it on the radio back then, it was the most favorite song of most of my classmates.
Therefor I was sure it would be one of the forthcoming singles.
Imagine how ppl would crucify her these days,had JJ become an official single :lol:
User avatar
BodyShop
Manager
 
Posts: 4925
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:30 pm

BodyShop wrote:
NothingFails wrote:I remember when Paradise leaked, burning it onto a cd (those days lol) and remember driving around a lot at 2-3 am listening to it over and over again, I still associate that song with the dead of night and calm.
Wow,I didn't know it leaked back then.
Madonna's messy history with leaks goes waaaaaay further than I thought then :lol:
I didn't know either. But yes, leaks go even further back.
I heard Express Yourself and Love Song before Like A Prayer was released.
By accident a cd-shop here in the Netherlands received the cd in another artists jewel case.
So they sold each song to a different radio station.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Yoshie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:31 pm

RayRay wrote:I wonder if you lived through this era.
I was born in 1992, so unfortunately not. :wink:

I think True Blue showed some progression in Madonna's songwriting; it's evident in songs such as 'Live to Tell' and 'La Isla Bonita', and the fact that she led the album with a ballad from a record that, like you say, was ripe with uptempos that were potential hit singles showed some artistic expression on her part that would develop later on in her career. However, the album as a whole is still very much a hit chaser and it sounds very of its time. It seems like the reason you love it so much -- the sense of nostalgia it gives you and that definitive 80s pop sound it harkens -- is exactly why, for me, it's not essential as a listening experience or a body of work in her otherwise artistry driven catalogue following this album.
Yoshie
Legend
 
Posts: 23702
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:32 pm

BodyShop wrote:
RayRay wrote:
BodyShop wrote:@RayRay:you are spot on.
Actually,Jimmy Jimmy was a favorite for many people back then.
I remember it even got played by some radios here in Brazil( out of their own interest,I suppose).
Some tv shows even used it as background music. It was an extremely catchy pop song back in those days.
Don't know if the same happened in other countries.
Although I didn't hear it on the radio back then, it was the most favorite song of most of my classmates.
Therefor I was sure it would be one of the forthcoming singles.
Imagine how ppl would crucify her these days,had JJ become an official single :lol:
I don't think so. It would have had a great video, no doubt.
And it would have become a classic and people would look at the song in a very different way.
If Material Girl wouldn't have been a single, wouldn't have been a hit, wouldn't have had a video.
Maybe people now would also think that if it had been a single, fans would butcher her now.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby Shadowplay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:59 pm

^This is true, especially for MG.
I personally detest GMAYL, but MG is not much better, only much much much more successful. Had she released GMAYL in 1985, it would have smashed.
"Despair, regret, and tenderness is what I feel for you"
User avatar
Shadowplay
Manager
 
Posts: 1881
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009

Postby menime123 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Madonna’s earlier albums IMO always had obvious hits on them - even LAP had obvious singles on it (even if she did release KIT).
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15288
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Erotica » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 pm

I like all tracks on True Blue somehow, but also think the singles are much stronger than the album tracks

And I like how unconventional the songs on Erotica are :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
User avatar
Erotica
Legend
 
Posts: 16718
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014
Location: Germany

Postby menime123 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:07 pm

Erotica wrote:I like all tracks on True Blue somehow, but also think the singles are much stronger than the album tracks

And I like how unconventional the songs on Erotica are :)
Agree completely.
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15288
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:15 pm

menime123 wrote:Madonna’s earlier albums IMO always had obvious hits on them - even LAP had obvious singles on it (even if she did release KIT).
Again, I can't agree. The only obvious hit IMO was Like A Prayer.
The only obvious album track was Act Of Contrition.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Postby menime123 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:16 pm

RayRay wrote:
menime123 wrote:Madonna’s earlier albums IMO always had obvious hits on them - even LAP had obvious singles on it (even if she did release KIT).
Again, I can't agree. The only obvious hit IMO was Like A Prayer.
The only obvious album track was Act Of Contrition.
Express Yourself screamed hit single, as does OF (LTT2) and Cherish is very bubblegum Madonna.
NO MEN IN ME.
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 15288
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby jochen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:33 pm

OF (LTT2)? What is this ???
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
User avatar
jochen
Manager
 
Posts: 4243
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008
Location: Germany, Hannover

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 pm

menime123 wrote:
RayRay wrote:
menime123 wrote:Madonna’s earlier albums IMO always had obvious hits on them - even LAP had obvious singles on it (even if she did release KIT).
Again, I can't agree. The only obvious hit IMO was Like A Prayer.
The only obvious album track was Act Of Contrition.
Express Yourself screamed hit single, as does OF (LTT2) and Cherish is very bubblegum Madonna.
Again, you think so as you look back. At the time it was different.
Just imagine there was no stunning video and there were no remixes.
Keep It Together sounded just as good as Express Yourself.
The album version nor the 7" Remix get any airplay these days. It's always the remix that wouldn't exist hadn't it been a single.
User avatar
RayRay
Legend
 
Posts: 12522
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Return to General Artists Discussion