Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, Benjamin, bm08

Fave?

Easy Ride
57%
How High
43%

Total votes : 74

Postby madgikman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Been listening to first 3 albums lately. True Blue today. Love that album.

On January 10 1987, Madonna’s Papa Don’t Preach was honoured as America’s Most Popular Video and the World’s Favourite Video at the 1st annual World Music Video Awards, produced by Canada’s MuchMusic and Europe’s Sky Channel
madgikman
Manager

Postby RayRay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:18 pm

madgikman wrote:Been listening to first 3 albums lately. True Blue today. Love that album.

On January 10 1987, Madonna’s Papa Don’t Preach was honoured as America’s Most Popular Video and the World’s Favourite Video at the 1st annual World Music Video Awards, produced by Canada’s MuchMusic and Europe’s Sky Channel
Was this when she picked up the phone while on the set of Who's That Girl and acting all Nikki Finn? Loved that.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Mamisho » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:46 pm

RayRay wrote:
Mamisho wrote:aaaaa **** it! i'm listening to Like a Virgin '84 :oops: in a min
It was my first album back in 1985. I bought the first album not much later.
Looking forward to your review of Like A Virgin.
i've listened to Madonna '83 couple dozen times and felt like i need one more album to go back and fourth.
i have high expectations since from my understanding it was a rocky start so with Madonna 83's success the second should be solid *ponders*
Mamisho
Personal Assistant

Postby jochen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 pm

jio wrote:Well the truth is that Madonna never lost her songwriting skills. There are still great melodies in the last 3 albums and often the demos are far better than the final product. The problem with the last 3 albums is the effort to make the music sound current by either mixing her voice to death or including guest performers or adding unnecessary beats or adding a ridiculous song here and there or buying songs that could clearly benefit by someone else singing them or all of them together. It just seems to me that way. If Madonna could just forget the charts and forget trying to sound current (which she doesn't succeed anyway) a great album would definitely follow.
Lyrics are always great
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
jochen
Manager

Postby RayRay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 pm

I love both albums almost equally. I first bought Like A Virgin and as I loved it so much, I went out to buy Madonna as well.

Like A Virgin is more diverse as it has two very different ballads: Shoo-Bee-Doo and Love Don't Live Here Anymore. The up-tempo's have different sounds as well. As for the first album, it has a more cohesive sound, but as I love this sound, it doesn't bother me but makes it a strong album too IMO. Although I love all songs on those first two albums, standout tracks for me:
Madonna: Borderline, Holiday
Like A Virgin: Like A Virgin, Dress You Up
RayRay
Legend

Postby jochen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Dress you up is such a Banger
jochen
Manager

Postby jochen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 pm

My fsve is: let me cover you with Velvet kisses...oh yeah
jochen
Manager

Postby CandyShop » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:35 pm

NoAngel wrote:
Westen wrote:I love the fact that everything is so quiet now, calm before the storm.

I feel like she will miss awards season and start era in March. For RH era she already confirmed BRITs and Grammys in December.

But her biggest mistake was not booking Glastonbury this year. Album would've been platinum in UK, i can guarantee that.

All these delays are minimizing my chances of seeing her live tho, I'll defend my master degree in September probably so I'm free by then, I doubt she will start tour before September and visit Europe in summer... So i guess I'll miss her with this tour since I can't buy ticket in advance not knowing if i 'll have job in autumn/winter and not being able to get days off or something.
I secretly hope that the tour will be pushed to next year. I've already spent too much on Dido comeback :lol:
Dido has come back ?
CandyShop
Manager

Postby Mamisho » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 pm

RayRay wrote:I love both albums almost equally. I first bought Like A Virgin and as I loved it so much, I went out to buy Madonna as well.

Like A Virgin is more diverse as it has two very different ballads: Shoo-Bee-Doo and Love Don't Live Here Anymore. The up-tempo's have different sounds as well. As for the first album, it has a more cohesive sound, but as I love this sound, it doesn't bother me but makes it a strong album too IMO. Although I love all songs on those first two albums, standout tracks for me:
i've listened twice. my expectations have been met
i agree with all you said RayRay but i need time to wrap my mind around the album. i agree that Madonna needed more diversity, but what i meant by "rocky start" is a rough one, having seen "Everybody" performed in 1982 yet the album released much later i assume its a recollection of her work during that period, kind of how most of "Mariah Carey" is, and with that succeeding obviously i anticipated more diversity, and a ballad which as a first listener interested me most and had all my attention for the second listen alongside Pretender since i yet dont know how i feel about the song. as for the first listen for Love dont live here anymore i was taken completely off guard.
one last minor irrelevant personal thing about the first half of the album though, is that it reminded me of britney and it wasnt unpleasant.. Like a virgin & Material girl in particular ... ignore my ignorance :oops: :lol:
Mamisho
Personal Assistant

Postby madgikman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:01 pm

RayRay wrote:
madgikman wrote:Been listening to first 3 albums lately. True Blue today. Love that album.

Was this when she picked up the phone while on the set of Who's That Girl and acting all Nikki Finn? Loved that.
Not sure. Was so long ago lol
madgikman
Manager

Postby RayRay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:08 pm

madgikman wrote:
RayRay wrote:

I recorded on VHS-video her accepting an award for Papa Don't Preach being the World's Most Popular Video. She doesn't really know what to say and says: "Oh, that's nice. I'll tell... I'll tell my dog." with her Nikki Finn voice on the film set. :lol:
RayRay
Legend

Postby RayRay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Mamisho wrote:
RayRay wrote:I love both albums almost equally. I first bought Like A Virgin and as I loved it so much, I went out to buy Madonna as well.

i agree with all you said RayRay but i need time to wrap my mind around the album. i agree that Madonna needed more diversity, but what i meant by "rocky start" is a rough one, having seen "Everybody" performed in 1982 yet the album released much later i assume its a recollection of her work during that period, kind of how most of "Mariah Carey" is, and with that succeeding obviously i anticipated more diversity, and a ballad which as a first listener interested me most and had all my attention for the second listen alongside Pretender since i yet dont know how i feel about the song. as for the first listen for Love dont live here anymore i was taken completely off guard.
one last minor irrelevant personal thing about the first half of the album though, is that it reminded me of britney and it wasnt unpleasant.. Like a virgin & Material girl in particular ... ignore my ignorance :oops: :lol:
The difference was they wanted to push Madonna as a dance artist in those early days. That's probably why they wanted one sound for the first album.
RayRay
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Mamisho wrote:

Madonna’s road to success wasn’t smooth and the story behind her first two albums - in my opinion - are fascinating. It’s a story for another time if we’re just discussing the merits of the music, but it is a great, relatively unknown one.

I always view her first album as the one that got her famous, and her second as the only that made her a star. You could argue that the first album was a collection of everything Madonna had done musically in NYC (and it is a reflection of the 80s NYC scene) and LAV became a calculated effort for mainstream success.

LAV is a pop album and in many ways her first musical re-invention (dance to pure pop). Even now, it has a mainstream sound that defined the 1980s and I’m often surprised the label managed to get Nile Rodgers to produce it. It is a lot more diverse than her first album, but I think that was a deliberate attempt to create a body of work she could take on the road.

I almost always play her first 2 albums back to back but I find it’s a smoother listen if you also listen to Crazy For You, Into The Groove and Gambler at the same time too. Collectively, these 20 songs are Madonna’s origins and what made her a superstar. Everything was different after LAV.

The Britney comparison isn’t a bad one, because Britney’s first 10 - 12 singles still define her... and so do Madonna’s for a lot of people. Holiday, Lucky Star, Borderline, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy For You, Into The Groove etc... are staples of any self respecting Madonna playlist (and setlist).

Now you’ve listened to both of her first albums, I’d strongly suggest watching her Virgin Tour on YouTube. The official release was edited down to about 45 minutes but you’ll never find a better visual representation of who she was back then. I love watching it - it’s raw, energetic and a great show with a brilliant setlist... but above everything else you can see the potential of everything that would come later.

I also love the fact she opens her mouth and just hopes for the best, and that naughty grin she has, knowing her audience are loving everything about her... I swear you can see her thinking at times “if only they knew what I could really do...”

Everything from 1982 to 1985 was Madonna learning the business from the inside. In a lot of ways it’s was all very much a practice run. Everything changed afterwards and there was no stopping her.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Mamisho » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 pm

menime123 wrote:
Mamisho wrote:

The Britney comparison isn’t a bad one, because Britney’s first 10 - 12 singles still define her... and so do Madonna’s for a lot of people. Holiday, Lucky Star, Borderline, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Crazy For You, Into The Groove etc... are staples of any self respecting Madonna playlist (and setlist).
i was talking about her baby voice. while it was fine in Madonna because it had more unique tone in it, i felt it was blant and britney-like during these 2 songs
what's "grin" mean? is it this part in Dress you up @ 1:22 & 3:28? i really like that tone
Last edited by Mamisho on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamisho
Personal Assistant

Postby menime123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:22 pm

A grin is a smile :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby upushme » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:23 pm

RayRay wrote:
madgikman wrote:
RayRay wrote:

I recorded on VHS-video her accepting an award for Papa Don't Preach being the World's Most Popular Video. She doesn't really know what to say and says: "Oh, that's nice. I'll tell... I'll tell my dog." with her Nikki Finn voice on the film set. :lol:
Yes, funny. :wink:

upushme
Manager

Postby Mamisho » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 pm

menime123 wrote:A grin is a smile :lol:
welp, still, i love that part of her voice :P
Mamisho
Personal Assistant

Postby jjavier1978 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:52 am

Today Nicki Minaj unfollowed Madonna on instagram. :-?
Madonna is The most successful and influential female artist of all time.
jjavier1978
Legend

Postby AndiIversen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 am

NoAngel wrote:
Westen wrote:I love the fact that everything is so quiet now, calm before the storm.

I feel like she will miss awards season and start era in March. For RH era she already confirmed BRITs and Grammys in December.

But her biggest mistake was not booking Glastonbury this year. Album would've been platinum in UK, i can guarantee that.

All these delays are minimizing my chances of seeing her live tho, I'll defend my master degree in September probably so I'm free by then, I doubt she will start tour before September and visit Europe in summer... So i guess I'll miss her with this tour since I can't buy ticket in advance not knowing if i 'll have job in autumn/winter and not being able to get days off or something.
I secretly hope that the tour will be pushed to next year. I've already spent too much on Dido comeback :lol:
If we know anything about M's fans and casual fans is that they spend tons of money and that's the way M likes it 8-) :lol:
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby madgikman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:50 am

RayRay wrote:
madgikman wrote:
RayRay wrote:

Omg too cute!
madgikman
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 am

Do you guys think she'll perform at the Grammy Awards? If so, that would mean we'll get the lead single in 3 or 4 weeks as Grammy's are on February 10th. Or maybe she'll skip the Grammy Awards and debut the new single at Brits, which is on February 20th, after which she'll fly directly to LA for her annual Oscar party. Maybe she'll do some European promo between Grammy and Brit Awards.
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Marchum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 am

Oh shit. Didn’t know she was about to release a new single soon?????
WOOF! I’m excited.
Marchum
Manager

Postby beredy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 am

Marchum wrote:Oh shit. Didn’t know she was about to release a new single soon?????
WOOF! I’m excited.
Nothing's is confirmed. All just fan speculation. She hashtagged new music and soon after last year's Met Gala. Obviously word soon in her world isn't your usual dictionary definition of. :lol:
beredy
Manager

Postby menime123 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 am

beredy wrote:
Marchum wrote:Oh shit. Didn’t know she was about to release a new single soon?????
WOOF! I’m excited.
Nothing's is confirmed. All just fan speculation. She hashtagged new music and soon after last year's Met Gala. Obviously word soon in her world isn't your usual dictionary definition of. :lol:
She’s not defined by time and space :lol:

We will have new music this year and most probably by the end of Q2. We are almost there, really.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby jochen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 pm

No date yet.
jochen
Manager

Return to General Artists Discussion