Geri Halliwell

Moderators: tdc2000, stevyy, Benjamin

 

Postby Fan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:01 am

^^Haha. How could you forget her debut? :lol:

SIYWGF has aged indeed, but I still think it's a fun track. Always loved the 'have a nice day as Americans say' line for some reason. Calling was such a boring single choice, though. Totally ruined the album campaign.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby menime123 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Apparently she only released Calling because it was George Michael's favourite :lol:

Feels Like Sex was supposed to be the lead single from the second album. I love the song but not sure that would have done her any favours :-?
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8864
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby menime123 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Apparently she only released Calling because it was George Michael's favourite :lol:

Feels Like Sex was supposed to be the lead single from the second album. I love the song but not sure that would have done her any favours :-?
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8864
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pm

Unpopular opinion but I would've loved a 4 single campaign for the album.
The first 2 singles can remain because they're pretty much essential Geri listening.
I'd have definitely have been down for "Feels Like Sex" as single #3 with a steamy video.
It probably would have been a relative hit for the body image drama that was swirling around her at the time.
Single #4 presents a problem as I think "Circles Around the Moon" deserved a bit more attention but I don't think it's radio friendly. My gut says she should've ignored "Calling" and released "Love is the Only Light" with a heartfelt video something along the lines of Madonna's "Drowned World/Substitute For Love" with Geri being an angel wandering around a cold, dark London bringing "light" to various scenes of heartbreak.
For bonus points she could've promoted it with some acoustic performances and win some critics over.
But alas...
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
User avatar
AussiePopStar8
Manager
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008

Postby biscuits » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm

SIYWGF was a horrible song and totally halted the era as soon as it began
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 40821
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Fan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:32 pm

menime123 wrote:Apparently she only released Calling because it was George Michael's favourite :lol:

Feels Like Sex was supposed to be the lead single from the second album. I love the song but not sure that would have done her any favours :-?
Really? :lol: A bit disappointed in George's taste to be honest. It doesn't work as a single at all.

Feels Like Sex could have been, like Aussiepopstar8 mentioned, a great third/fourth single. But It's Raining Men was the perfect song to lead the album (I know it was the soundtrack for Bridget Jones, but since it was featured on the album as well- I count it as a lead single). SIYWGF was a great follow up, though. Strength Of A Woman is my absolute favouritr Geri song, but not sure if it could have worked as a single release.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby biscuits » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:44 pm

I like Calling
User avatar
biscuits
The Diva
 
Posts: 40821
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010

Postby Fan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Happy 18th Birthday, Schizophonic <3
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby menime123 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:15 pm

AussiePopStar8 wrote:Unpopular opinion but I would've loved a 4 single campaign for the album.
The first 2 singles can remain because they're pretty much essential Geri listening.
I'd have definitely have been down for "Feels Like Sex" as single #3 with a steamy video.
It probably would have been a relative hit for the body image drama that was swirling around her at the time.
Single #4 presents a problem as I think "Circles Around the Moon" deserved a bit more attention but I don't think it's radio friendly. My gut says she should've ignored "Calling" and released "Love is the Only Light" with a heartfelt video something along the lines of Madonna's "Drowned World/Substitute For Love" with Geri being an angel wandering around a cold, dark London bringing "light" to various scenes of heartbreak.
For bonus points she could've promoted it with some acoustic performances and win some critics over.
But alas...
Geri abandoned plans for a 4th single because SIYWGF and Calling failed to hit #1. She explains how disappointed she was in her autobiography - she fell out of love with the Spice Girls too when Stop failed to go to #1 and did a bunk not long after :lol:

However Circles Around The Moon was the 4th planned single, with remixes commissioned. Why Feels Like Sex was never released is beyond me, because that was always slated as the first single until ITM came along.

Randomly, Geri wrote CATM after reading Harry Potter :lol:
Last edited by menime123 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8864
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby menime123 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:17 pm

Fan wrote:
menime123 wrote:Apparently she only released Calling because it was George Michael's favourite :lol:

Feels Like Sex was supposed to be the lead single from the second album. I love the song but not sure that would have done her any favours :-?
Really? :lol: A bit disappointed in George's taste to be honest. It doesn't work as a single at all.

Feels Like Sex could have been, like Aussiepopstar8 mentioned, a great third/fourth single. But It's Raining Men was the perfect song to lead the album (I know it was the soundtrack for Bridget Jones, but since it was featured on the album as well- I count it as a lead single). SIYWGF was a great follow up, though. Strength Of A Woman is my absolute favouritr Geri song, but not sure if it could have worked as a single release.
Calling was #1 in Russia for 6 or 7 weeks so someone liked it :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8864
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Geri's solo debut had a huuuuuge influence on 16 year old me and has honestly played a part in shaping the person I've become today. I would've loved the chance to see her bring her solo music to the stage but sadly it seemed that ship sailed a few years back.
Say what you will about her talents but she is well and truly an important part of pop history.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
User avatar
AussiePopStar8
Manager
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008

Postby menime123 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:19 pm

AussiePopStar8 wrote:Geri's solo debut had a huuuuuge influence on 16 year old me and has honestly played a part in shaping the person I've become today. I would've loved the chance to see her bring her solo music to the stage but sadly it seemed that ship sailed a few years back.
Say what you will about her talents but she is well and truly an important part of pop history.
She's penned so many #1s that I'm sure she's one of the top female writers to gain so many. People call out Geri but they really do forget she had a solid pop catalogue.

I just wish she'd have the nerve to even put out an EP.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8864
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:41 am

And just like that something is afoot in Camp Halliwell.
Her social media has been updated with the following message and image...

"Waiting For That Day?
... just 3 days to go until a special announcement"

Image

Could Geri be doing some kind of George Michael tribute?
A single?
An interpretations album of his hits?
A posthumous duets album?
They were very good friends so who knows what they've cooked up behind the scenes over the years.
Hopefully though it is an announcement of new solo material.
She's had time to gauge the reaction to the "Man on the Mountain" leaks and work out some kinks and we know she's been working with a vocal coach so SOMETHING music related is on the way.
EXCITING TIMES!
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
User avatar
AussiePopStar8
Manager
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008

Postby menime123 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:26 am

She had meetings at the BBC a few weeks ago too, so I can't help but wonder if some sort of George Michael tribute charity show could be on its way? 'waiting For That Day' is a George Michael song, her tshirt is clearly a George Michael reference and her son was named after George Michael...

But new music is needed Geri. I'll take anything new at this point, although I love her leaked 4th album.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8864
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Fan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:31 pm

I REALLY hope it will be new music, but I somehow doubt it! Still excited about any news though, we need Geri back in the spotlights.

Edit: I just saw she also posted a picture of herself in a recording studio :o :o
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby Benjamin » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Fan wrote:I REALLY hope it will be new music, but I somehow doubt it! Still excited about any news though, we need Geri back in the spotlights.

Edit: I just saw she also posted a picture of herself in a recording studio :o :o
I'd LOVE new music. I'm ready to stan for this woman again.
User avatar
Benjamin
Kid At Heart
 
Posts: 54998
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Fan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:48 am

^^me too :P I need a 2017 version of Mi Chico Latino.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby menime123 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:28 am

She's back :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=123489" target="_blank
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8864
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Fan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:47 am

I just read it on Facebook and was so excited :o I had to contain myself to not scream and tell all my colleagues (who wouldn't care at all :lol: :lol: )
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby menime123 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:53 am

I'm so excited. I just hope she finds an audience.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
User avatar
menime123
Superstar
 
Posts: 8864
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:36 pm

I'm addressed the leaked material and has gone back, with the support of the label, and written new material.
It's probably been very beneficial for her to gauge reaction to the work she'd done a know what people want to hear from her in this day and age.
Hopefully they'll be good quality video of the G.A.Y gig so I can indulge in seeing her almost live.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
User avatar
AussiePopStar8
Manager
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008

Postby Fan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:50 pm

menime123 wrote:I'm so excited. I just hope she finds an audience.
Me too. She will obviously never be as as big as she was during her first two eras- times have changed a lot. But if you see how well Steps have done recently, then I also think there could be a market for her.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby Fan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 pm

YAASS.
Welcome back queen Halliwell 8-)
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 pm

She's featuring on 2 new charity singles this week.
Geraldine is pushing the comeback road hard.
Good to see.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
User avatar
AussiePopStar8
Manager
 
Posts: 4921
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008

Postby Fan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:51 am

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... s-__19520/

Look at Queen Halliwell with five songs in the top 10! 8-) I never realised Lift Me Up did so well, always thought it was her most forgotten #1. (And too bad Angels In Chains hasn't charted).
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
User avatar
Fan
Legend
 
Posts: 12821
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006
Location: Spice World

Return to General Artists Discussion