joiPrince_JO wrote:Random question: why is Cheryl the most popular Girls Aloud member? Or why did she have the most successful solo career? Is it all just because she was a judge on X Factor?
1. She married a footballer and became a WAG
2. She is beautiful
3. She joined XF and her involvement gave it the best ratings it ever had
4. Her husband cheated on her and she didn’t know until it was in the newspapers
5. Girls Aloud we’re getting better and better as a band
6. She took her husband back
7. Her launched a solo career with a hell of a song
8. Her husband cheated on her again... and she found out via newspapers again
9. She divorced him
10. She went onto have 5 solo #1s.
I do think a lot of it is because of the X Factor exposure - she was the Queen of Saturday night TV for a few years here and that is a big thing. But what really sealed the deal imo is that she wasn’t all talk or personality - she backed up her position as a TV talent judge by going on to make a hell of a successful solo career for herself.
I know people argue she solo success is because of the X Factor, but even if she wasn’t a judge she still would have secured a performance slot, coming out of the biggest girl band of the century. But ultimately her music was good, her promo was good and she didn’t let personal situations ruin any of it. She was the nations darling for a while.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens when she comes out with her next album, as sales were always a strong focus for Cheryl and streaming hadn’t the impact it does now. If the music is good I think it’ll find an audience though.