Prince

Moderators: tdc2000, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby Brad » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:21 am

Prince Rogers Nelson (born June 7, 1958), known from 1993 to 2000 as an unpronounceable symbol (or informally, The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, TAFKAP, or simply The Artist).

During the 1980s Prince was comparable with the "mega-superstars" of Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston & Madonna in terms of star power and sales. However, his popularity has waned since the mid 90s. None could match the formidable breadth of his talents, which included not just singing and dancing but also composing, producing, and playing many instruments (not to mention directing videos and movies). In fact, Prince played nearly all the instruments on his first five albums, and has produced himself since signing with Warner Bros. at age 15.

His music has spanned myriad styles; from his early material, rooted in funk and soul, he has constantly expanded his musical palette throughout his career, absorbing many other genres including new wave, pop, rock, blues, jazz and hip hop. Born in Minneapolis, he has based his entire career in Minnesota. He now resides in Los Angeles.

Core discography:
Code: Select all
For You (1978)
Prince (1979)
Dirty Mind (1980)
Controversy (1981)
1999 (1982)
Purple Rain (1984)
Around the World in a Day (1985)
Parade (1986)
Sign 'O' the Times (1987)
Lovesexy (1988)
Batman (1989)
Graffiti Bridge (1990)
Diamonds and Pearls (1991)
The Love Symbol Album  (1992)
Come (1994)
The Gold Experience (1995)
Chaos and Disorder (1996)
Emancipation (1996)
Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic (1999)
The Rainbow Children (2001)
Musicology (2004)
3121 (2006)
Planet Earth (2007)
Lotusflow3r / MPLSound (2009)
20Ten (2010)

Last edited by Brad on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Brad
Winter Is Coming

Postby NothingFails » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:28 pm

one of the all time best IMO. I do think his output can be frustrating if you're not in it for the long-run, which is a reason why even though he was massive in the 80's and is revered, he was never quite in Michael or Madonna's level of fame, but at the same time I don't think he ever wanted that because Prince always wanted to do what Prince wants to do and he luckily skated the thin line between music superstar and cult artist just enough that he could get away with doing what he wanted instead of having the label demand he kept rehashing 1999 and Purple Rain. David Bowie's the only other artist I can think of like that who so successfully straddled the line between superstar and cult artist that he could be both.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:15 am

apparently there is buzz that next year is going to have a full on Revolution reunion.

I have doubts for two reasons, 1. Prince hates touring and that is the type of reunion tour that you would be going on the road and making as much $$$ as possible and 2. Prince seems to be someone who moves on for good instead of focusing on the past... after all we're talking a guy who contributed nothing to the special features on Purple Rain's 20th Anniversary DVD/Blu-Ray, and has yet to remaster any of his old albums, and The Revolution is nothing but the past.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby BlackNLatin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:37 pm

I don't understand why this thread so empty, well i kinda can because Prince does get a lil crazy with his things but still This is PRINCE!!!! Why my baby whyyy!!!! :cry: :cry:
BlackNLatin
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:56 pm

BlackNLatin wrote:I don't understand why this thread so empty, well i kinda can because Prince does get a lil crazy with his things but still This is PRINCE!!!! Why my baby whyyy!!!! :cry: :cry:
I think it's because even though he's had a lot of success over the years, Prince really is a divisive artist. Sure a lot of people love Purple Rain and his greatest hits but a lot of people probably find it too challenging to dig into the rest of his catalog, so they don't bother. Just my take on it.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Shorty » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:09 pm

LOL I was listening to "1999" just yesterday :D

What a fabulous song, and SO catchy!
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby jio » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:12 pm

Shorty wrote:LOL I listening to "1999" just yesterday :D

If you enjoyed the song you better check out the album. At least two thirds of the songs there are better than 1999
jio
Legend

Postby Shorty » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:14 pm

jio wrote:

If you enjoyed the song you better check out the album. At least two thirds of the songs there are better than 1999
Yeah I really should check out more of his stuff, I've always been fascinated by him!

Any recommendations? I like to download individual songs due to my dialup, full albums break my internet :lol:
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby NothingFails » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Shorty wrote:
jio wrote:

Yeah I really should check out more of his stuff, I've always been fascinated by him!

Any recommendations? I like to download individual songs due to my dialup, full albums break my internet :lol:
really depends what you're in the mood for. Practically everything between 1980-1988 is a gem. Some of my faves (not counting the big radio hits everyone knows) from his classic years (1980-1990) include Darlin' Nikki (oddly enough, this is the song that lead to the PMRC when Tipper Gore found her kid listening to this when it's downright G-rated next to some of his stuff from 1980-1982), Sometimes It Snows In April, When You Were Mine (Cyndi Lauper had a hit with it later on), Strange Relationship, 17 Days, Uptown, Automatic, P Control, The Beautiful Ones (Mariah covered this one), The Cross, Joy In Repetition, Come, Computer Blue, Head, DMSR, Anna Stesia, All The Critics Love U In New York, Electric Chair... For newer Prince, Black Sweat, Cinnamon Girl, Lolita, The 1 U Wanna C, Beautiful Loved And Blessed, Ol' Skool Company, Guitar, Valentina, Chocolate Box, Love, Fury are all great records. And of course watching Purple Rain is mandatory. Not a great movie by any stretch (Morris Day is the only one in the whole film who has a natural talent as an actor) but two hours of great music and all about the Minneapolis sound circa 1984. I just got the Blu-Ray of it and it looks great cleaned up.

The great thing about Prince is that he has such a lengthy discography that you can never really get bored. Although unfortunately a lot of people (my boyfriend included) think Purple Rain and The Very Best Of Prince suffices.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:12 am

^ Thanks! I'll go track down some of this stuff :D

I was reading about him on Wikipedia and he seems so interesting, so I'm excited to hear some more music from him :D
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby NothingFails » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:30 am

Prince has announced a US tour for this winter. I am so pumped and hope to see him again, he hasn't been on a real "tour" since Musicology, ever since then he's done one-off residencies in Vegas and the O2 and some festivals like Montreaux and Coachella. Glad to see him finally taking his act on the road again because I've wanted to see him in concert again because he's one artist I know delivers.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby jio » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:25 pm

He is also releasing a deluxe version of "20Ten". There is a new song called "Rich Friends". You can hear it here:
http://www.ktu.com/iplaylist/artist/5182/

Now if that deluxe cd is gonna include 5 or more songs I am buying it (or at least if the 20Ten songs are remixed in some way). Otherwise this will be the only Prince official cd other than "The Very Best Of Prince" that I won't purchase
jio
Legend

Postby jio » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Shorty wrote:
jio wrote:

Well a good start would be 1993 "The Hits/The B-Sides". After that a number of Prince albums are good start to finish. I'd recommend those albums:
2.Purple Rain
3.Parade
4.Sign O' The Times (second disc)
5.Graffiti Bridge
6.Lovesymbol
7.Come
8.The Gold Experience
9.The Vault Old Friends For Sale
10.The Rainbow Children
11.NEWS
12.Musicology
14.Lotus Flower (single disc without MPLSSound)

All those albums are classics to me good from start to finish. I love 20Ten also but I didn't include it because it's new so I don't know how it will stand the test of time. All the other albums have genious songs as well as good songs and fillers in various degrees. You have to hear them to judge. Personally I can't really say that Prince's discography includes more than a couple of bad albums. Have a good experience lol
jio
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:53 pm

I'd go for the following:

Purple Rain
Parade
Sign O' The Times
Lovesymbol
The Gold Experience
Around The World in a Day

Also, there was an bonus album, The Truth, packaged in with the Crystal Ball compilation which is rather fab.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby GUS » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:05 pm

"Raspberry beret", "Kiss", "When doves cry" and "Batdance" are pure pop gems!!!!!
GUS
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:27 am

jio wrote:
Shorty wrote:
jio wrote:

Well a good start would be 1993 "The Hits/The B-Sides". After that a number of Prince albums are good start to finish. I'd recommend those albums:
2.Purple Rain
3.Parade
4.Sign O' The Times (second disc)
5.Graffiti Bridge
6.Lovesymbol
7.Come
8.The Gold Experience
9.The Vault Old Friends For Sale
10.The Rainbow Children
11.NEWS
12.Musicology
14.Lotus Flower (single disc without MPLSSound)

All those albums are classics to me good from start to finish. I love 20Ten also but I didn't include it because it's new so I don't know how it will stand the test of time. All the other albums have genious songs as well as good songs and fillers in various degrees. You have to hear them to judge. Personally I can't really say that Prince's discography includes more than a couple of bad albums. Have a good experience lol
I'm a little surprised you didn't list Dirty Mind. Granted it's such a short album (30 mins) but I think it's the album where Prince was truly born as he was more or less finding his groove with the first two albums. Granted I didn't hear the album until 1993 but I could only imagine how revolutionary that album must've sounded in 1980, especially coming from the guy who sang "I Wanna Be Your Lover".
NothingFails
Legend

Postby BushBoy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:47 pm

ShayLaB wrote:I'd go for the following:

Purple Rain
Parade
Sign O' The Times
Lovesymbol
The Gold Experience
Around The World in a Day

Also, there was an bonus album, The Truth, packaged in with the Crystal Ball compilation which is rather fab.
Yeah, The Truth is a brilliant piece of work. It should have been released on its own.
BushBoy
Roadie

Postby Shorty » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:18 am

To start off with I'm downloading his Ultimate collection, the 2 disc one :D Just as a taster!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby Brad » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Shorty wrote:To start off with I'm downloading his Ultimate collection, the 2 disc one :D Just as a taster!
Good choice! I love that album.
Brad
Winter Is Coming

Postby jio » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 pm

So thanks to Hanboo my Prince Top 40 discography is now complete with the two chart runs I was missing (Elisa Fiorillo & Tevin Campbell). I also added films, music videos and books.

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79203
jio
Legend

Postby Omnipresence » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:34 pm

I'm a big Prince fan -- have been since late 2004. For a while I was really obsessed with his music and he was my favourite artist, but that's long passed now; I don't do favourite artists anymore.

Favourite albums of his are Purple Rain, Diamonds & Pearls, N.E.W.S and Batman. Also love the stuff he did for Madhouse. Amazing musician!

And that's a great pic of him with the piano!
Free your unconscious mind; be formless, shapeless -- like water.
Omnipresence
Roadie

Postby jio » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 am

So who's going at the Prince concert in Kent? I think I'll go (if I can get a week off in July)
jio
Legend

Postby Shorty » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 am

Weirdly, as I opened this topic, my iTunes shuffled onto a Prince song :lol:

I need to download more of his stuff, I just have The Very Best Of Prince on here :-?
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby NothingFails » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:39 am

Has Prince cut ties with the Jehovah's Witnesses? I read over on the org that he's beginning to play some of his more explicit material again that for years he's refused to play over his religious views.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Omnipresence » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:21 pm

NothingFails wrote:Has Prince cut ties with the Jehovah's Witnesses? I read over on the org that he's beginning to play some of his more explicit material again that for years he's refused to play over his religious views.
Hmm. That's something that I never would have expected, but I hope it's true. The guys been brainwashed for too long! And it's affected his music in a bad way.
Free your unconscious mind; be formless, shapeless -- like water.
Omnipresence
Roadie

Return to General Artists Discussion