SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Prince Looks Outside for Strings on ‘Anotherloverholenyohead’

by Dave Lifton July 6, 2017 8:15 AM

Read More: Prince Looks Outside for Strings on 'Anotherloverholenyohead' | http://diffuser.fm/prince-anotherloverh ... ck=tsmclip

To celebrate the incredibly prolific, influential and diverse body of work left behind by Prince, we will be exploring a different song of his each day for an entire year with the series 365 Prince Songs in a Year.

For all of Prince’s skills at composing and arranging, when it came to writing for strings, he often looked to Clare Fischer. Their relationship began with 1986’s Parade, and tracks such as “Anotherloverholenyohead.”

The connection came through Susannah Melvoin, Prince’s girlfriend at the time and the twin sister of Revolution guitarist Wendy Melvoin. “Clare had done work with my father [jazz musician Mike Melvoin],” Susannah told Beautiful Nights. “My father being the arranger and Clare being the string arranger. … Prince and I were listening to a bunch of Rufus records back in the day — and this was before we thought about doing strings on the first record. We were talking about how brilliant the strings were on those albums.” She suggested getting Fischer to write a string part, then called her father, who put the two parties in touch.

‘We sent him the 24-track,” she continued. “He got back to us right away and said ‘Absolutely.’ Within a month we had all the lead sheets and we had the entire score for the record. We went in and cut it and I couldn’t have been happier.”

The dissonant strings run counter to the breezy funk of “Anotherloverholenyohead,” which features Susannah on background vocals. But it wasn’t enough to turn the song into a hit. Released as the third single from Parade, after “Kiss” and “Mountains,” it peaked at No. 63, the worst-performing single in the U.S. for Prince since 1982’s “Do Me, Baby” failed to chart.

Still, Fischer and Prince worked together frequently over the next few years, working on the soundtracks to Batman and Graffiti Bridge, and “Pink Cashmere,” a 1988 outtake that found a home as a previously unreleased track on 1993’s The Hits 1. Fischer also wrote the string charts for “Te Amo Corazon,” the first single from 2006’s 3121. Michael Nelson, who also worked as an arranger for Prince, told Rolling Stone that he heard from Brent Fischer, Clare’s son, that for every song they made that got released, 25 are in the vault.

But for all the music they made together, they never actually met. “Prince is intelligent,” Fischer said in 1998. “He never visits the studio when I am working for him; and I have never met him in person. He sends me memos and we talk over the phone. Once I sent him my 2+2 Grammy-winning CD. I heard from people that were present at the time that while he took out the disc he looked away from the cover, saying, ‘I don’t want to know what he looks like. It is working just fine as it is.’ Prince does not want to meet me because he knows that the minute he walks into a studio he will start interfering. It is uncommon that a person with such a strong ego realizes that I have an ego too.”

Read More: Prince Looks Outside for Strings on 'Anotherloverholenyohead' | http://diffuser.fm/prince-anotherloverh ... ck=tsmclip
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:08 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby jio » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:53 pm

So nobody rated the previously unreleased songs on Purple Rain deluxe? OK I'll go first
1) Dance Electric: Originally composed by Prince and given to ex-bandmate Andre Cymone, this is probably the most well-known "new" track on the album since Andre's version was a Top 10 R&B hit back in the 80s. Hearing Prince singing this one isn't much of a surprise since his voice ain't that different from Andre's. Compared to Andre's version, this one seems to be a bit more dance-oriented, that's not a bad thing at all although it kinda drags (it could easily be about 3 minutes shorter and nothing would be missed). I think I still prefer Andre's version but I am very happy to finally have Prince's version as well. 8/10

2) Love And Sex: This is one of those Prince songs that on first listen makes you go "WTF is this noise?" but it all perfectly fits together after a few listens when the magnificence of the song gets revealed in its full glory. Musically sounding like something out of the "Dirty Mind/Controversy" or even "1999" albums, lyrically it's so Prince this is just fab 10/10

3) Computer Blue (Hallway Speech) : "Darling Nikki" and "Computer Blue" were always my favorite "Purple Rain" album tracks, the latter because of the fantastic guitar work which totally shines in the movie. So finally having an extended 10-minutes+ version officially on CD is just great. What this version adds to the song? Well the song finally gets a second verse and the instrumental is considerably longer. There are more robotic voices as well as "na na na wave your hands in the air" chants and loads of screams towards the end. Talking about the end, it kinda makes the song sounding less "Purple Rain" and more "1999". Unlike "Dance Electric" this never tires even though it's 12 minutes-long. So is this version better than the original? Not really. But it's not worse either, it's just as good as the PR version.And that makes it an easy 10/10

4) Electric Intercourse: Once you get over the disappointment of not hearing "Darling Nikki" after "Computer Blue", you can judge this song for what it actually is. A very "1999"-type of ballad. Production-wise is very reminiscent of that album but unfortunately this is no "Moonbeam Levels", it is a good ballad but it's not great, it would have been an album track in any of Prince's albums. That doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's not as good as the 3 songs before. 6/10

5) Our Destiny/Roadhouse Garden: This is a bizarre little beast of a song, or rather a couple of songs. "Our Destiny" is performed by Lisa (of Wendy & Lisa) and although it's a fully developed little song on its own right, it really serves here as the intro to Prince's song (Roadhouse Garden) which is a sing-a-long R&B affair, not too dissimilar to some of the album tracks on the "Sign O' The Times" album. I think these two songs work much better together than separately, somehow "Our Destiny" manages to elevate "Roadhouse Garden" by building anticipation for it and the result is just beautiful 10/10

6) Possessed: Here we are clearly in "1999" territory. This reminded me of "Automatic" a bit and is typical synth-driven funk from Prince, circa 80s. It's great and it could have easily fit in the "1999" album. Love it although I decided to not give it full points, just so my grading won't become boring 9/10

7) Wonderful Ass: Now this was the unexpected jam on the album. While there are several other great songs, this is the one that I didn't know at all and took me completely by surprise. Musically it sounds similar to the "1999" album tracks' productions but melodically is a little bit more pop than most of the songs in that album. If I had to compare it with any Prince song, the closest which comes to mind is "A Love Bizarre". So is it as good as that classic? Well not really, but it's pretty damn close 10/10

8) Velvet Kitty Cat: Not bad at all but compared to what came before this is equivalent to the break time of a concert. It's a pop song with rock-n-roll influences, a bit like a slowed down version of "Delirious". I do like it but it is definitely not essential 7/10

9) Katrina's Paper Dolls: This one sounds like a song Prince would write for a protege. It's very Princey, it's good enough but like the one before not essential 7/10

10) We Can ****: This was originally released in a great alternative duet version with George Clinton as "We Can Funk" in the soundtrack of PR's sequel "Graffiti Bridge" back in 1990. But this is the original 10-minutes solo version with the more nasty subject matter. So how does it sound like? Well, obviously the melody is identical but the production is more stripped down and far more funky than the GB version. There are loads of spoken parts and a long instrumental part in the end. Do I prefer this to the GB version? I do actually 10/10

11) Father's Song: This is the only Prince track present in the PR movie but not in the album. And the reason seems to be that this is just a slow instrumental version of the fabulous instrumental part from "Computer Blue". That said, I love that music so much that I have to give to this one 10/10.

-All in all I have no complains. Although the album as a whole sounds much more "1999" than "Purple Rain", the songs are fantastic with no real filler. It's just classic 80s Prince. Definitely an essential release 10/10
jio
Legend

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:22 am

Old news, but just as telling.

Prince Estate’s $31 Million Distribution Deal Is Rescinded

By BEN SISARIO JULY 13, 2017

Five months ago, the estate of Prince announced a major deal with the Universal Music Group for distribution rights for a substantial portion of the music star’s vast catalog. The largest of a series of multimillion-dollar contracts lined up in the months after Prince died, it was estimated at $31 million.

But in a turn of events that has stunned the industry, the deal has now been rescinded by a judge, after Universal accused representatives of the estate of fraud and misrepresentation during negotiations and threatened a lawsuit if the company was not allowed to withdraw from the deal and get its money back.

On Thursday, Judge Kevin W. Eide of Carver County District Court in Chaska, Minn., issued an order approving a request to rescind the deal that was filed by Comerica Bank & Trust, the bank that took over as administrator of the estate the day after the deal was signed.

Prince died on April 21, 2016, at age 57, from an accidental overdose of an opioid painkiller. He left no will, which has led to drawn-out and contested proceedings among his six heirs, some of whom did not want the Universal deal voided.

(More from link below)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/13/busi ... inded.html
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:30 am

How we made Prince's Purple Rain

Interviews by Michael Hann

‘We recorded it in a jampacked Minneapolis club. It was sweaty and smoky and vibey as hell’

Lisa Coleman, keyboards

Being in Prince’s band was like getting in a sports car with a racing driver. Even though you felt a bit scared – why is he going so fast? – he could handle it, and it brought so much joy. I first met him in 1979. He was looking for a girl keyboard player and I happened to be one. One of my best friends got a job at Prince’s management agency. She called me about him, and I didn’t know who he was. I made a tape of myself playing a couple of songs and I flew to Minneapolis and he picked me up at the airport. We were both very shy, so it didn’t go well at first – but we ended up hitting it off.

Bobby Z, drums

In 1978, I was at Moon Sound Studios in Minneapolis, working with a different band. Prince was in Studio A making his first tape. It was dynamite, gunpowder. I heard it walking across the hallway one morning. I went in and I saw the afro.

I was working for his manager as a delivery driver, and my job became driving Prince. We spent seven months basically alone together. We were bonded as friends, which eventually made getting the job of drummer harder. I was very grateful that he hired me and very grateful that he took me for the whole ride.

(The rest is on link below.)

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... -interview
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:09 pm

'Empire' will air special Prince-themed episode

By Neal Justin

August 9, 2017 — 1:50am

LOS ANGELES -- “Empire” is turning over the keys to the kingdom to Prince.

The fourth episode of the upcoming season will pay tribute to the late Minneapolis artist with a rendition of “Let’s Go Crazy,” re-recorded by series stars Jussie Smollett and Bryshere Y. Gray, while other cast members, including Terrence Howard, will be dressed up for a Prince-themed party. While only one of his songs will be used on the show, the entire episode will pay homage to the artist.

“He would have loved this,” Howard told me Tuesday night, hours before boarding a plane back to the Chicago set where he would read the script for the first time. "He loved innovation through music. Most of his songs are written for specific themes, which is great for this show.”

Howard became friends with Prince around 2000 when they were both studying to be Jehovah’s Witnesses. But Prince had an even stronger bond with “Empire” executive producer Sanaa Hamri, who directed videos for “Black Sweat,” “Musicology” and “Call My Name.” Hamri will also direct the special episode and was pivotal in securing the rights to “Let’s Go Crazy” from the estate.

“I was able to get what we needed, in a weird way, because he trusted me with his work,” said Hamri, whose film credits include “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2.” “He had for many years, so I say, why not do that now and honor him in the best way through a music show?”

Prince had served as Hamri’s unofficial adviser for years and gave her permission to use a song off the album, “Artifical Age” in "Empire"'s first season. There had even been talk of a guest appearance.
That never materialized before his death last year, but Hamri said the two of them had been writing a separate TV show together, a project that is still very much alive.

Hamri said she was excited to be starting work on the episode, especially since the schedule calls for key scenes to be shot on Aug. 21, the day of a solar eclipse.

“I find it very meanigful, his energy shining upon the moment -- although we’re giong to get dark for about 25 minutes,” she told me. “It’s not as hard as I thought it would be because time has lapsed. What’s hard is not hearing from him on a day-to-day basis. That’s what I think about. At the same time, I feel this is very much something he would have wanted. Of course, I’ve always protected his imagery and I’m still doing it now.”

The season premiere, also directed Hamri, airs Sept. 27 on Fox.

http://www.startribune.com/empire-will- ... 439360933/
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Beyoncé wrote the foreword for latest book on Prince

Beyoncé is dipping her toe into the publishing world by penning the foreword to the upcoming book Prince: A Private View, from St. Martin’s Press, due out Oct. 17.

The book, a collection of photographs of the late musician, is from Afshin Shahidi, a photographer and longtime friend and collaborator to Prince. Included will be many never-before-seen photographs, ranging from staged to candid, and stories about their time together.

Beyoncé is certainly a fan of The Purple One. In a 2012 interview with Giant magazine, she shared the sense of awe she had regarding the late singer while rehearsing for the 2004 Grammys: "Walking into rehearsals, I was just so overwhelmed and nervous and star-struck. We rehearsed every day for an hour for a week, instead of six hours the day before. That was so smart, it was Prince's idea — I guess he knows people are star-struck because he's so amazing." The feeling was mutual. In an interview regarding that appearance.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/ent ... 546385001/
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Wesley Snipes Confirms Stealing Prince's Role in Michael Jackson's 'Bad' Video

"Me and Prince were auditioning together, and I blew Prince out of the water," Snipes says.
(LOL!)

Wesley Snipes remembered battling Prince during auditions for a key role in Michael Jackson's 18-minute "Bad" short-film on Conan on Wednesday. Snipes ultimately won the part, landing one of his first major on-screen looks before he exploded as a movie superstar in the Nineties.

"Michael turned to me and was like, 'Are you scared?'" actor tells Jimmy Fallon on 'Tonight Show,' recalling Harlem filming of 1987 video

"Me and Prince were auditioning together, and I blew Prince out of the water," Snipes declared. "Michael had told Prince that he had the role, and then he met me."

"This is a true story," he reiterated. "Prince was actually considered the lead character in the 'Bad' video, and then Michael met me and kicked Prince to the curb."

Hmm... (Lol!)

In a VH1 interview with Chris Rock in 1997, Prince offered a different reason for not appearing in the "Bad" video: He said he turned down the role because he wasn't comfortable being the object of the single's sensual first line, "Your butt is mine."

The "Bad" clip, directed by Martin Scorsese, is an 18-minute story revolving around inner-city gangs, and Snipes said part of the reason he got the role was that Jackson believed he was actually a gang member in real life. "[Jackson] really thought I was in a gang – he didn't know that I was a trained thespian," the actor recalled. "At the time, the great Michael hadn't spent very much time in the 'hood."

Snipes was visiting Conan to promote his debut novel, Talon of God.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... eo-w496998
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Detroit Symphony Orchestra to perform Prince tribute at Meadow Brook

August 25 concert will be conducted by Brent Havens

By Ken Haddad

The Detroit Symphony Orchestra will perform a tribute concern to Prince later this month at Meadow Brook Amphitheatre in Rochester Hills.

The Music of Prince is a symphonic tribute to the late rock and R&B virtuoso. Conducted by Brent Havens and featuring a full rock band fronted by guitarist and vocalist Marshall Charloff, the DSO will tackle a variety of funky purple hits: “Little Red Corvette,” “1999,” “Raspberry Beret,” and more.

The concert takes place Friday, August 25 at 8 p.m. at Meadow Brook Amphitheatre (234 Festival Drive, Rochester, MI).

Tickets for The Music of Prince begin at $20 for the general admission lawn and $25 for assigned pavilion seating.

Tickets can be purchased at ticketmaster.com or by calling the Palace Entertainment box office at (248) 377-0154.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/lifestyl ... adow-brook
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby AndiIversen » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:37 pm

^that sounds great! Hope it'll become an album
I always like some symphonic orchestral reworkings of different types of music
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:04 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Prince Exhibition Will Bring Paisley Park Memorabilia to London

By ROSLYN SULCASAUG. 22, 2017

LONDON — An orange Cloud guitar made for a Super Bowl halftime performance; a diamond vest and a diamond-studded cane; the famous purple coat and ruffled shirt from the “Purple Rain” tour. These items and hundreds more, worn by and belonging to the pop star Prince, who died in April 2016, are set to travel from his estate, Paisley Park, outside Minneapolis, to the O2 Arena here for the first international exhibition centered on the musician.

The O2 Arena has a particular resonance for Prince fans, since he performed there for a 21-night stand in 2007. The exhibition, “My Name Is Prince,” will open Oct. 27 and run for 21 days.

“London was the city that accepted Prince the most,” said Tyka Nelson, Prince’s sister, in an interview with The Evening Standard newspaper. “It was the obvious choice of where we should exhibit first, it just felt right.”

Prince, who died at 57 of an accidental overdose of prescription painkillers, left a trove of unreleased songs — which have been the subject of continuing disputes — as well as costumes, jewelry, makeup, equipment, instruments, handwritten song lyrics and other ephemera. “My Name Is Prince” will feature a selection of these items, a tiny fraction of the vast archives at Paisley Park, which opened as a museum in October 2016. (By April of this year, the archive team had cataloged around 7,000 items, estimated as less than 5 percent of the material.)

Ms. Nelson said the exhibition would include “lots of never-before-seen articles.” She added: “The standout piece for me is his orange Cloud guitar. It is strange because people always associate the color purple with Prince, but his favorite color was actually orange.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/arts ... ondon.html
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Replace Christopher Columbus statue with Prince? Petitioners say yes

ST. PAUL, Minn. (KMSP) - Across the country, protests and violent clashes are breaking out as cities choose to remove Confederate monuments and other memorials to people and events that activists say are not indicative of American values, while defenders argue against whitewashing history.

In light of recent events, one group of Minnesotans has gathered almost 2,000 signatures to remove the state Capitol's Christopher Columbus statue, replacing it with one of the late Minneapolis music legend Prince.

Organizers, led by Wintana Melekin, say the actions of Columbus--who killed and enslaved many indigenous and African peoples during his time in the Americas--do not represent the values of everyday Minnesotans, who should honor "members of our community whose leadership we find inspirational."

As of Sunday, the petition had reached its 2,000 signature goal, with commenters noting their varied reasons for signing:

"Did Christopher Columbus drop a 13x platinum album? No. No he did not," wrote Manny A.

"After all, Mary Tyler Moore has a statue on the Nicollet Mall. Why not Prince?" Makeda N. added.

Melekin is also the organizer behind Minnesota's infamous "Beyonce Day," gaining enough signatures last year for Governor Mark Dayton to declare May 23, 2016 as the artist's official day in Minnesota.
http://www.fox9.com/news/276583793-story
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Stevie Wonder Reflects On Motown, God And Prince

August 30, 2017·

On missing Prince, and being part of the Official Prince Tribute concert in 2016

It was hard to convey a message because I was in so much pain. Not saying I wasn't with the others. But we had previously, very recently talked and talked about his future and things that he wanted to do and how inspired he was with the things he wanted to do. It lets you know: Hey, tomorrow's not promised to anyone. But you say, "God, why him?" But we are not the controllers of life. And that's why people need to stop doing that, trying to control life. But I was — it was just painful for me. And as much as we say, "Well we've got his music. We've got their art, we got their this, we got their that" — I would've loved to have some more him, and them.

NPR Music news assistant Karen Gwee contributed to this story.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... and-prince
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Prince's sister remarkably says his favorite color was orange, not purple

Posted on August 31, 2017 at 2:38 PM

By Benjamin Raven,
braven@mlive.com

During an interview promoting the first exhibit of his possessions, Prince's sister revealed that his favorite color wasn't actually purple.

It was orange.

"The standout piece for me is his orange cloud guitar," Tyka Nelson told the Evening Standard. "It is strange because people always associated the color people with Prince, but his favorite color was actually orange."

Nelson was promoting the first official Prince exhibit featuring artifacts and items that are said to have never left his private estate in Minneapolis. The exhibit, "My Name Is Prince," will open at the O2 arena in London in October of this year.

Nelson, 57, tells the outlet that the exhibit will specifically include his 2007 Super Bowl halftime show orange guitar, clothing from the "Purple Rain" tour and other relics from his career.

The O2 arena, as the Evening Standard points out, was where Prince played concerts three weeks straight in 2007. The music superstar was found dead at his home in Minneapolis in April 2016.

The revered artist is known for his work such as "Wanna Be Your Lover," "Little Red Corvette," "When Doves Cry," and the chart-topping albums "1999" and "Purple Rain."

"London was the city that accepted Prince the most. It was the obvious choice of where we should exhibit first, it just felt right," she said. "Prince wanted to open up Paisley Park as a museum for his fans.

http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/inde ... _says.html
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:33 pm

Whew, Prince's Favorite Color Was Purple After All

The Purple One's Estate Has Spoken (lol!)

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/0 ... ge-debacle
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:55 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:05 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Tomorrow see live stage performances and short films from the legend himself in Prince: Sign 'O' the Times at 9p/8c on Showtime Networks.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby DropzoneRecords » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:41 am

this is killer purple rain baby :evil:
DropzoneRecords
Groupie

Postby JJeffs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Rolling Stone: The 30 Sexiest Music Videos of All Time

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... me-w504065
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Guru » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 am

That time when this young unknown artist opened for Rick James. Please look at what he wrote in the "position" section. #HeKnew #tbt
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby SmittyRoc70 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:06 pm

Pharmacists Cited for Trying to See Prince's Medical Records

10/23/2017 by Associated Press

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... ing-to-see
SmittyRoc70
Manager

Return to General Artists Discussion