Alexandra Burke

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, Benjamin, bm08

Postby Guru » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:56 pm

Her debut made her feel unstoppable. And then the sophomore happened and everything in between crumbled :cry:
I honestly hated her sophomore and the dance sound she wa chasing. Compared to her debut, the soundjust felt fake, not her and pushed onto the fans.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Sister Act star Alexandra Burke talks about the UK tour, returning to music and weight loss

The last time Alexandra Burke was in Nottingham was in The Bodyguard playing the lead role made famous by Whitney Houston. And it will be another iconic role for the former X Factor winner when she returns to the city in Sister Act at the Theatre Royal. JESSICA SANSOME spoke to her about that, her amazing weight loss and how she hopes to inspire us

"It's been amazing," says Alexandra about her theatre career which started in The Bodyguard in the West End.

"I have been very lucky to be able to be picked to do such iconic roles. Going from playing Whitney Houston and then now playing Whoopi Goldberg, it's just a massive honour and a privilege really to have these two roles under my belt."

Alexandra first shot to fame after winning the fifth series of The X Factor almost nine years ago. Since then, she's notched up three No. 1 singles, another three Top 3, two Top 10 albums and has performed up and down the country on sell-out tours.

Taking on the iconic role of Rachel Marron in The Bodyguard three years ago wasn't an easy step to take, she admits.

"I was asked to do it years before it went into the West End," she says. "I wasn't ready to do it then."

"But taking it on the second time they asked has opened doors for me, which I am grateful for."

The decision saw her lead the West End production until its close in August 2014, followed by a UK tour in 2015, visiting the Theatre Royal in October.

Performing the songs of the legendary Whitney Houston night after night does come with its pressures.

She says: "Performing somebody else's songs and trying to do them justice isn't easy. Added to that is the acting side of everything.

"It still makes me nervous delivering six, sometimes seven, shows a week and wanting the audience to enjoy it."

When the Sister Act role was offered to her, Alexandra almost turned down the role.

"In the beginning, initially I said no because I just didn't think I was suited to it because it's a comedy and I have never done comedy," she explains.

"But when I read the script and listened to the soundtrack, that's what made me say yes."

The comedy aspect was a challenge she has enjoyed.

"People walk away from the show and actually find me funny - that is the best thing in life," she laughs.

"I didn't think that's what I'd be able to do. So I'm really pleased. I just hope I can keep it up."

Sister Act

Alexandra plays the role of Deloris Van Cartier made famous by Whoopi Goldberg in the 90s film. Her life takes an unsuspecting turn after she witnesses a murder.

"It's uplifting, it's joyous, it's fun, of course very, very funny," says Alexandra, who reprised the role for an eight month stint this month after taking on 16 venues with the show last year.

The show, directed and choreographed by Strictly Come Dancing's Craig Revel-Horwood, is "an actor-muso" production due to the performers playing instruments.

"From the moment it opens to the moment it ends, you literally see a massive live band in your face. We are all acting, singing and dancing around the stage. You don't get that every day."

And what has it been like working with Strictly's resident 'Mr Nasty'?

"Oh it's been fantastic," says Alexandra. "He's a great guy. Very strict - no pun intended - but just a real nice guy to be around. He takes his work very seriously. I've been learning a lot from him."

Before the weight loss

Another big part of Alexandra's life is her role as SlimFast ambassador which she began a year ago and unlike other celebrity endorsements, it was Alexandra who made the call to them after her own weight loss success.

"I actually got involved with the brand simply because I had a situation on stage when I was in The Bodyguard and realised I had put on weight," explains Alexandra.

"The most embarrassing thing that could ever happen to an artist is that you don't fit into your clothes and your dresser has to put the biggest safety pin in your dress in order for you to continue on stage. That's exactly what happened to me."

Alexandra's mum recommended SlimFast to her daughter after finding success herself years before

Since starting her SlimFast journey over a year ago, Alexandra has lost 24 lbs and dropped three dress sizes.

"It's definitely given me more energy and more confidence. I'm actually really proud of how I've kept myself in shape through keeping fit and also keeping strict with the plan but of course giving myself some cheat days at times."

To coincide with Alexandra's visit to the city in Sister Act, she plans to inspire others by hosting an intimate, 'by invitation only' event where she will have lunch and chat about weight loss.

"The aim is for me to go out for dinner and just have a nice afternoon chat with them over some food, talk about their journey and ways I can maybe help them," says Alexandra.

It's been almost five years since Alexandra released her second album, Heartbreak on Hold, and amongst all the theatre touring, she has, amazingly, still had time to work on her own music.

"I have been in the studio quite a fair bit whilst I've been doing theatre," she says.

"I'm working on different things at this present time and still hoping to release and album very soon. [The] third album isn't finished yet but it's in the final stages which I'm happy to say out loud. So I will be returning to music, hopefully soon."
http://www.nottinghampost.com/sister-ac ... story.html
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Ska8er » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Apparently she's doing Strictly this year. She also started recording her third album.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Ska8er wrote:Apparently she's doing Strictly this year. She also started recording her third album.
http://thatgrapejuice.net/entertainment ... e-dancing/
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby aaliyahman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:03 pm

I loved her right up until she did X factor as a judge. I saw her in Sister Act and she was terrible. She can't act or enunciate properly. My mate trains her when she's in Liverpool, she is lovely I just hope she get the right songs and humbles herself socially or she won't have a career.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Her mum has died. :cry:

Alexandra Burke announces that her mother has died but vows to continue with Strictly Come Dancing in her memory

Alexandra Burke has tragically announced that her mother Melissa Bell has died at the age of 53.

In an emotional tweet, the singer praised her "beautiful, funny and loving mum" as she revealed the sad news that Melissa had passed away on Monday 28 August.

The X Factor Winner thanked her mum for her "unconditional love, support, charisma, strength and courage" and called for everyone to respect her privacy at "this difficult time".

Alexandra vowed to continue with this year's Strictly Come Dancing as it "was always a dream" of her mum that she would take part in the show.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... r-11076875

Wayne
Administrator

Postby Guru » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 pm

So young as well. May she RIP :cry:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Thriller » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 pm

Poor Alexandra, a tragic loss :(

Hope she goes on to do well in Strictly.
Thriller

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:27 pm

R.I.P. [*]
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Gravity » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:59 am

R.I.P. My condolences to Alex & her family. :(
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:33 am

Awwww :cry:
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:24 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:29 am

I hope strictly reignites her singing career. I know it has a lot of haters but I love Heartbreak on hold. I feel like it's really underrated.

I watched the x factor performance if The Silence a few days ago. She has such an amazing voice!
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Thriller » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:26 pm

I would love it to do an Alesha Dixon for her! A third album is long overdue.
Thriller

Postby Ska8er » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm

I adore this woman.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 am

Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:51 am

And her week one performance:

Thriller

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:55 am

So far her scores and rankings have been:

Week 1 (Waltz) 24/40
Week 2 (Paso Doble) 36/40 = 60/80 = 3rd
Week 3 (American Smooth) 33/40 = 2nd
Thriller

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:20 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Ska8er » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 am

She received a 39 for her performance, one of the highest ranking Jive's and highest marks for a Week 4 performance ever.

However, the great scores caused her to break down over her mum's death. Some awful people on twitter are claiming she did it for the sympathy vote.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:21 pm

That dance was one of the best Strictly dances, especially at such an early stage. She gives her everything and it's disgusting for anybody to accuse her of wanting a sympathy vote; losing somebody as close as a parent will always evoke a strong feeling of sadness when you experience life's highs.
Thriller

Postby Wayne » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Watched her dance from last night, glad Craig gave her 9. :lol:

She did awesome and looked amazing.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:31 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Guru » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Nothing will revive her career but her debut will live on :P
Guru
Guru

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:37 pm

Guru wrote:Nothing will revive her career but her debut will live on :P
I’d still like a third album though. Such a shame. Her voice is golden.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion