Whitney Houston

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, Benjamin, bm08

What's your favourite Whitney album? You can vote for 2 albums.

Whitney Houston (1985)
14%
Whitney (1987)
13%
I'm your Baby Tonight (1990)
9%
The Bodyguard (1992)
17%
The Preacher's Wife (1996)
5%
My Love is your Love (1998)
31%
Just Whitney (2002)
3%
One Wish (2003)
No votes
I Look To You (2009)
7%

Total votes : 189

Postby Wayne » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 pm

600 dates - is that in 25/30 years?

I shall reply to your other comments later grouper, when I'm not so tired :)
Wayne
Administrator

Postby NothingFails » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:31 pm

600 days in 25 years isn't THAT massive. You have acts like U2 who do 150-200 shows a tour, and they tour three or four times a decade.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Wayne » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:44 pm

Yeah, and not meaning to blow Celine any more :lol: But she performed 712 odd concerts in 4 years.

But I think grouper's point is that she sings live, whereas Celine lips some of her concert parts.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby DaBoi » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:27 pm

grouper6 wrote:
jio wrote:
04wayne wrote:What did madonna release that sold more than I Look To You, in 2009?
I believe Celebration sold more than "I Look To You" internationally... if I am wrong I am sorry though. And I didn't write off everything you wrote. I just expressed a different opinion.
I love reading your perspective on Whitney, however, I don't think Celebration shipped or sold as much as ILTY internationally.

ILTY platinum in th US 970k scanned
shipped 2.5mil ww

Celebration
Don't quite recall but I don't think that it sold 300k in he US - It did much better internatinally but Idon't think it sold as much as ILTY
Celebration shipped 2.7 million worldwide (Warner)
Channel Orange Ray Of Light Electra Heart Back To Black
DaBoi
Legend

Postby LittleLinda » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:02 am

NothingFails wrote:If her vocal problems started with The Bodyguard tour, why did she still sound amazing throughout the 90's? It wasn't really until I Look To You that you hear a serious deterioration in her voice. The two songs I couldn't stand on the album were the two power ballads. Midtempo numbers and upbeat songs compliment her 2010 voice better. It's when she tries singing songs like I Will Always Love You and I Have Nothing today that critics begin to savage her.
I beg to differ. You can clearly hear a great deal of vocal detoriation on her "Just Whitney" and "One Wish" albums... and I don't remember any live performances from 2000 onwards that were as stellar as her earlier singing.
It's true that on "I look to you" her voice is worse, but the detoriation started ages ago.

Actually, "One Wish" is a perfect showcase for that, because it contains two songs from "The Preacher's Wife" and the difference between those two and the other tracks is pretty obvious.

However, I don't mind that at all. I love her voice... past and current.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby SCHoli » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:17 am

LittleLinda wrote:and I don't remember any live performances from 2000 onwards that were as stellar as her earlier singing.
You're right! It all started around 2000!
On "My Love Is Your Love" her voice was still breathtaking!
SCHoli
Personal Assistant

Postby frankie_85 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:56 am

DaBoi wrote:
grouper6 wrote:I love reading your perspective on Whitney, however, I don't think Celebration shipped or sold as much as ILTY internationally.

ILTY platinum in th US 970k scanned
shipped 2.5mil ww

Celebration
Don't quite recall but I don't think that it sold 300k in he US - It did much better internatinally but Idon't think it sold as much as ILTY
Celebration shipped 2.7 million worldwide (Warner)
2.7 is a bit too much, but it's definetely in the 2.4-2.5 million region. It was #22 in the IFPI list of the best sellers of 2009.
In the same way i've always thought that 2.5 million for Whitney is a bit too much as well, in fact in the IFPI list she was #27. Regardless of its placement in the year-end chart, it was a great comeback!

I've been playing "I Got You" from ILTY album a lot recently!
frankie_85
Manager

Postby stevyy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:45 pm

frankie_85 wrote:
my favourite song from the album.
stevyy
Legend

Postby grouper6 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:53 am

NothingFails wrote:If her vocal problems started with The Bodyguard tour, why did she still sound amazing throughout the 90's? It wasn't really until I Look To You that you hear a serious deterioration in her voice. The two songs I couldn't stand on the album were the two power ballads. Midtempo numbers and upbeat songs compliment her 2010 voice better. It's when she tries singing songs like I Will Always Love You and I Have Nothing today that critics begin to savage her.
You're not listening to what I'm saying. She had issues with being hoarse and skipped notes around that time, however, because her talent was so immense, she was able to push through and if you were not a big fan, you would not have noticed it.

In addition, weird that I have forgetten, as a child, she was playing with her brother, running with a hanger and it got shoved in her throat. She was told that if it had gone 1/4 of a inch more, it would have damaged her chords, look at her neck, you will see a brown spot about the size of a coin.

I've hard her sing I Look to YOu and Strength on tour and they sound 100% better than on the record. I'd say her voice has improved from the voice used to record ILTY. She has always been an interpreter, now, her interpretative skill is even better and she's doing things with jazz that she never did as much before.

Her next album will be interesting.

My main point is that it is a misnomer for folks to say that all of her vocal decline was due to drugs. That is not the case. A contributory factor but not the only or primary factor imo.
I was not built to break!
grouper6
Manager

Postby Al3xSaid3 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:34 pm

can anyone please help me? i've been looking for the Oprah interview for ages. i don't want to download the HD videos as there is like 50 links ahha! anyone got a link to watch it online?
Al3xSaid3
Manager

Postby LittleLinda » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:46 am

stevyy wrote:
frankie_85 wrote:
Mine too! And I thought I was the only one... most people put it last in their "I look to you" album hitlists.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby PosziMC2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm loving In My Business, So Emotional and Nothin' But love at the moment. Classics 8-)
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:52 pm

LittleLinda wrote:
stevyy wrote:
frankie_85 wrote:
Mine too! And I thought I was the only one... most people put it last in their "I look to you" album hitlists.
i especially like the instrumental production and the sound engineering. I think it's great how the backup responds to her lines and I especially like the instrumentation. The song has a great laid-back feeling.
stevyy
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 pm

My Diva collection: Whitney Houston

My First album of hers: The Bodyguard OST, bought in like 1998.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Eamon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Just watched The Bodyguard and I keep falling in love with I Will Always Love You over and over again. She had one amazing voice.
Eamon
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:42 am

mimifan09 wrote:Just watched The Bodyguard and I keep falling in love with I Will Always Love You over and over again. She had one amazing voice.
i don't like the video to I will always love you, I'll always prefer the movie sequence.

Whitney is and has always been one of so very few artists, who only need to stand on stage singing. The last scenes from Bodyguard are breathtaking.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Eamon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:57 am

stevyy wrote:
mimifan09 wrote:Just watched The Bodyguard and I keep falling in love with I Will Always Love You over and over again. She had one amazing voice.
i don't like the video to I will always love you, I'll always prefer the movie sequence.

Whitney is and has always been one of so very few artists, who only need to stand on stage singing. The last scenes from Bodyguard are breathtaking.
Yeah i prefer the movie sequence aswell.
Eamon
Legend

Postby GRM » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Never listened to Whitney until I Look To You was buzzing, but oh lord, she is amazing. I Look To You is amazing - Million Dollar Bill, I Got You, Nothin' But Love, Call You Tonight, For The Lovers... I could go on. It's Not Right But It's Okay (Thunderpuss Remix) is absolute perfection. She could never top the "It turns out, you were making of me...OOOOOOHHHHH".
GRM
Manager

Postby PosziMC2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:13 pm

I just discovered the I'm Your Baby Tonight album.Classic! I Love Anymore,Who Do You Love ,Higher Love and the title track. MNINS and ATMTIN are alsdo good. :wink:
P=MC2's Top 20
Merci wrote:Poszilicious, pussy served delicious!
PosziMC2
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:28 pm

How fat is she these days?
Thriller

Postby LittleLinda » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:15 am

Quite slim, actually. It obviously WAS a side effect from medication, just as I thought.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby grouper6 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:56 am

Thriller wrote:How fat is she these days?
little Linda is correct. She's slimmed down quite a bit and the weight gain was due to the meds she was on for her URI.

Here is a video clip of her at Alicia Key's Keep a Child Alive benefit in NYC on Sept 29. She looks amazing and I believe that she may have slipped a bit more since then.

She took her Mother, Cissy Houston, with her as it was her birthday that day as well as a windstorm hence the windy hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF2ckjJR ... r_embedded
grouper6
Manager

Postby grouper6 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:59 am

stevyy wrote:My Diva collection: Whitney Houston

My First album of hers: The Bodyguard OST, bought in like 1998.
wow at your collection, lol. I think that you have all the US releases. Just missing are:
Love Whitney
Whitney: The Ultimate Collection
grouper6
Manager

Postby grouper6 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:01 am

04wayne wrote:Yeah, and not meaning to blow Celine any more :lol: But she performed 712 odd concerts in 4 years.

But I think grouper's point is that she sings live, whereas Celine lips some of her concert parts.
Exactly! No lipping and singing difficult, big note songs night after night. In hindsight, perhaps she should have lipped it probably would have preserved her voice longer. She also sang quite a bit when she was ill and should not have been performing.
grouper6
Manager

Postby grouper6 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 am

NothingFails wrote:600 days in 25 years isn't THAT massive. You have acts like U2 who do 150-200 shows a tour, and they tour three or four times a decade.
I'm not comparing to males or rock bands. I'm referring to the fact that I believe it is quite a bit compared to the modern day female singer. singing live,big note songs, that is a big number for 15yrs, 1985 t0 2000(as she really didn't work much during this time) , She did about 10 dates or so from 2000 to 2009...speef forward to 2010 where she did 46 dates.
grouper6
Manager

Return to General Artists Discussion