Queen & Freddie Mercury

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby Play » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:57 pm

The Biggest Group Of All Time 8-) imo

Of course the reason for the word legend, Freddie Mercury..
Play
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:43 am

Freddie may very well be the greatest frontman of all time, he will never be replaced IMO
NothingFails
Legend

Postby TiagoRodrigues » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:31 pm

NothingFails wrote:Freddie may very well be the greatest frontman of all time, he will never be replaced IMO
agreed! :wink:
"Your actions speak louder than promises/You're inclined to make and inclined to break"
TiagoRodrigues
Legend

Postby steophonic » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 pm

NothingFails wrote:Freddie may very well be the greatest frontman of all time, he will never be replaced IMO
Oh yes, He was so charismatic, particularly for the time. Certainly inspired and influenced many of those who followed.

I imagine seeing them live would have been an amazing experience.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby RichyRich » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:34 am

Greatest Rock Vocalist of all time in my opinion. This man is in a league of his own. I could sit and watch his live performances all day.
RichyRich
Manager

Postby Play » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:09 am

steophonic wrote:
I imagine seeing them live would have been an amazing experience.
Not being able to see Freddie and MJ live always chokes me. Why wasn't I a teenager in the 80's :roll:
Play
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:28 pm

One of my favourite male pop artists ever, a sensational voice and such a dynamic performer - definitely one of a kind. Queen have a brilliant back catalogue.
Thriller

Postby ShayLaB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11719552

Queen band sign new record deal

Brian May of Queen Next year the band celebrate their 40th anniversary

Veteran rock band Queen have signed a new record deal, which will see remastered versions of all their albums being re-released next year.

The deal, which has been agreed with Universal, ends their 40 year partnership with EMI.

"We are very excited, after all this time, to be embarking on a new phase of our career," said guitarist Brian May.

The late singer Freddie Mercury and the rest of the band had hits with We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Mercury, who passed away in 1991, became known for his flamboyant stage persona.

Next year the band celebrates its 40th anniversary and the celebration will be marked with the re-release of their first five albums being available in March.

"We aim to apply fresh thinking and innovation to the marketing and promotion of this great body of work," said Universal boss Max Hole.

The move is a further blow to EMI, which has lost other popular artists including The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Radiohead since the group was taken over by private equity firm Terra Firma in 2007.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby HUR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Thank you for the article. They are releasing their whole discography next year, remastered editions with previously unreleased material.

Freddie Mercury: simply the best singer ever ro my ears.
Last edited by HUR on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUR
Superstar

Postby ShayLaB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:18 pm

It's strange that they are releasing the re-mastered versions with Universal. I would have assumed that EMI actually held the rights to the recordings and that they would remain under their stewardship. Even these days it is rare that an artist would own the rights and, given the times Queen embarked on their recording career, I can't imagine that they do. I wonder was there something in the small print of the contract that is enabling this...some sort of time limit or the fact that the original recordings are being altered for the re-master.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby ShayLaB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:14 pm

The first five albums, 'Queen', 'Queen II', 'Sheer Heart Attack', 'A Night At The Opera' and 'A Day At The Races' will be released next March, with the rest of their studio album output to follow throughout the year.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby HUR » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:10 am

Shay,

Queen do own the rights to their music, as weird as that sounds; this puts in a better position than many other acts when it comes to negotiations and the like. And ones starts wondering why aren't they a bit more protective with theri catalog, based on the fact that many redundant compilations and live albums are released every year.

Queen have a fantastic catalog and this is a great chance for fans like me to have their discography again.
HUR
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 pm

I watched the "Days Of Our Lives" documentary last night on Bio Channel.

Is there bad blood with John Deacon? I can understand why he doesn't wish to tour anymore because Queen died with Freddie, but I'm surprised he wouldn't even grant an interview for a career-spanning documentary on the band. For instance in comparison Agnetha Faltskog is notorious for being a hermit but yet she has granted interviews for several ABBA documentaries.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Play » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Happy Birthday to the King of Stage! 8-)

Check out google.com :wink:
Play
Legend

Postby remiell » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Play wrote:Not being able to see Freddie and MJ live always chokes me. Why wasn't I a teenager in the 80's :roll:
I understand what you mean.

Play wrote:Happy Birthday to the King of Stage! 8-)

Check out google.com :wink:
Loved it! :D
Last edited by remiell on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd build a road in gold just to have some dreaming
remiell
Manager

Postby DnBLover » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Best Male Vocalist of all time.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby summer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:26 pm

One of my favourites - Too Much Love Will Kill You
summer
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:30 pm

He had an indefinable something about him, did Freddie.

I love some of Queen's music; so many classic hits to choose from. I like that even though their music is so complex in arrangement, its accessibility is second to none. And a big part of that is the love affair that so many had with Freddie.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby luckyONE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Probably my favorite band of all time. Grew up with their music as my parents are big fans.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Play » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Happy Birthday to Freddie Mercury!

I didn't want to start the game of giving him adjectives because the list would go on and on and on
Play
Legend

Postby Lamhe » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Love how they performed at live 8 esp Freddie.
What a performer! The best performer ever! No one can rival his stage presence. :oops:
Lamhe
Manager

Postby HUR » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Play wrote:Happy Birthday to Freddie Mercury!

I didn't want to start the game of giving him adjectives because the list would go on and on and on
Agreed. :D
HUR
Superstar

Postby HUR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:30 pm

I was having some chats with other UKmixers the other day and, as I often do, I highlighted Queen's level of influence on music, which has always been great but seems to be growing as the years go by.

And it got me thinking why, despite that, Queen are seldom mentioned as one of the ultimate influential acts on popular music or why it isn’t acknlowledged more often in magazines, polls, etc.

I think there is a possible reason: their wide appeal. Queen are generally liked and praised amongst all sort of music circles, even in the alternative world. But I think that in each one of them, they are a few acts that shadowed them or appealed more; it is a bit like some groups' impact is more visible on certain, specific genres (to an extent), whereas Queen were more of a crossover band in that regard.

They have many metal/hard rock fans -who praised certain albums, like their debut and their seventies records in general-, even if the likes of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath or The Who mean a bit more for them.

They of course have plenty of pop fans, who enjoy a great deal of their hits and are overly familiar with their compilations. But I think some groups hold a similar or greater resonance on that genre.

They are even a favourite for some progressive rock fans too, most of which are especially fond of Queen II. However, they can’t compete with acts like Genesis (pre 1976 at least) or King Crimson.

Queen collected massive appeal and recognition (both from music buyers and other bands) from all areas and has a massive influence on all of them, but somehow they are almost never mentioned as one of the most influential groups. Maybe that is the reason. The influence of some bands is easier to tell and notice on certain music genres, whereas Queen0s legacy seem to be spread across a wider amount of styles.

Any idea? A bit pointless to ask give the small feedback in this thread.
HUR
Superstar

Postby HUR » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:34 pm

For those who don't know much about Queen, here are a bunch of creative videos, highlighting some of their greatest moments on different albums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULvry-4YfU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS3FO_Mh-GU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE9qVsKCrww

Sometimes you need to hear thing separately in order to understand and appreaciate it all all in its right dimension. 8-)
HUR
Superstar

Postby Nippian93 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:15 pm

25th anniversary today, R.I.P. Freddie [*].
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion