Shakira

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, Benjamin, bm08

Postby Brazilian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Shakira's wonderful new album, Sale El Sol, is now available in stores across the planet.

Brazilian
Superstar

Postby Brazilian » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Shakira talking about her performance at this year EMAs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFx95mJY ... youtu.be&a
Brazilian
Superstar

Postby ProExciter » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:14 pm

i admire her personality.... always so kind! shaki should be a good example of artists! she deserves to be an idol!
i wish that more singers could be like her! :lol:
Thalía Te Amo!
ProExciter
Groupie

Postby GUS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 pm

One thing I've noticed about 3 superstars: Shakira, Rihanna and Mariah Carey: all of them released albums that underperformed or sold less than expected... instead of taking a break, they worked harder and they are getting us new albums ... chapeau! :lol:
GUS
Superstar

Postby Brazilian » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:50 pm

BIG SHAKIRA NEWS!!

Amanda Ghost is leaving Epic Records. meaning that shakira will have free control over all her music.

It was Amanda's idea to hold back She Wolf one month hence affecting sales and lowering what couldve been a top 10 debut. It was Amanda's idea to put the atrocious song that even Shakira doesn't like "Give It Up To Me" onto SW. It was Amanda's control that Shakira could not release the songs that she actually wanted to, and the songs that were actually single mateiral - Men In THis Town, Good Stuff, Why Wait, Mon Amour.

And now that she's gone, and the fact that Shakira's goingt o Livenation next year, everything will work out nicely.
Brazilian
Superstar

Postby JoshuaBuzz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Give It Up To Me is hardly terrible and could have done well. Other than She-Wolf and perhaps Did It Again/Gypsy, it was the most radio-friendly song on there.
Hater-bitch, we're taking you to the left.
JoshuaBuzz
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:30 am

I typed Shakira in my iTunes only to find Did It Again some days ago, and to my surprise I had over 10 songs with her. I expected about 5, guess I like her more than I'm aware of.

Best songs?
1. Si Tu No Vuelves (with Miguel Bosé)
2. Pienso En Ti
3. Did It Again

Maybe. Except from DIA, her English tracks are not very interesting, she's a great singer with a powerful voice, but it doesnt "flow" well in English for some reason.
Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby Cactuar » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:06 am

Best Shakira songs? I'd say Did It Again deserves a spot in the top 3. Utterly brilliant musically. I love how original and quirky it sounded; it was an excellent direction for Shakira to have progressed in. Wish she did more of the type.

Dreams for Plans is another, it's the best Shakira ballad out there. Clever lyrics and a chorus melody that is just so good, plus her vocals in it are unbeatable.

Then there's also Don't Bother, Poem to a Horse, Whenever, Wherever and Ciega, Sordomuda for me. All completely different but just amazing.

And also last but not least is Timor. Oral Fixation Vol. 2 is the best Shakira album in my opinion. Pure class, cohesive and very unique.
Cactuar
Superstar

Postby cornibert » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Its a good thing Amanda Ghost is leaving she pretty much ended Jlos career at Sony, when she made her record that mess which was Fresh out the Oven and Louboutans, good thing shes on DefJam, back to Shakira, its good she came back real quick :P
cornibert
Roadie

Postby Brazilian » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:07 pm

Shakira will open Ema 2010 ! :P

MTV EMA 2010 - Spotlight Shakira (mejor artista femenina):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyeSCKuU ... r_embedded
Last edited by Brazilian on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian
Superstar

Postby cornibert » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:15 pm

^ Yes :lol:
cornibert
Roadie

Postby Brazilian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Pies Descalzos achieves high scores on Saber Tests

A public school in Barranquilla, built just 2 years ago, has already achieved a high level of education according to the organization Icfes. The school in question is the Pies Descalzos Educational Institution, financed by the superstar Shakira.

The majority of its students, children of reintegrated people or family members of displaced citizens and of low socioeconomic stature obtained above average scores on the recent Saber 11 tests. One of them, Nestor Alejandro Torres Chamorro, even achieved the 5th place score in the entire country.

Nestor will be 16 this Sunday. He lives in the district of La Playa. His two younger brothers also attend the Pies Descalzos school. He scored a 77 average of all subjects.

“This will help me in the pre-selection process for a scholarship at Northern University,” says Nestor. He has already passed the first stage of selection. He aspires to be a systems engineer. He doesn’t talk much, but he confesses that he feels proud to have contributed to elevating the general level of quality of the school.

It’s an achievement that demonstrates that “not just by virtue of being a poor population, with grave social problems such as poverty, does its education need to be underestimated”, states Carlos Diez, pedagogic advisor of the Pies Descalzos Foundation.

The school gives classes to 1,770 students in one school day. It offers food and nutrition daily as well.

The year prior, evidence was seen of the fruits of the labor put forth by the Colombian singer and Maria Emma Mejia, president of the foundation: the first class of 70 students graduated. Then, it was classified by Icfes at the medium level.

Many of the students who graduated on that occasion, as well as those that have now taken the 11 tests and helped to raise the school to the high level category, came from public schools in the area of La Playa, such as El Canahuate, which is situated at the inferior level according to government exams.

The Institution still has a ways to go to achieve academic excellence, in order to reach the classification of superior and very superior. “We’re not interested in having 1 or 2 students score an 80, but in all of them being a part of the group to score around 60, 70, so that there is justice and dignity in education”, says Diez.

The great advance evidenced by the results, indicates that the articulation of academic, recreational, and technical programs is favorable. “It’s a great form of support, because people are going to begin to see Pies Descalzos as we have always wished for them to see us, as a pillar of pedagogical development in Barranquilla, and as a community center open to all Barranquillan citizens.”

Source:Shakira.com
Brazilian
Superstar

Postby Brazilian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:45 am

Shakira will come to Brazil,next year,with her project The Pop Festival.According to the gossip column Página 3 of the "O Dia" newspaper,the singer and her husband Antonio de La Rúa want the festival happens on Copacabana beach.

The show must be totally free.

The doesn't have definite local and date,but it probably happens in February/March.

That festival will happen in several countries of Latin America. Great promo for this era !

Brazilian
Superstar

Postby Brazilian » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:22 am

Latin America Tour announced!

Shakira will be bringing the Sale El Sol tour to Latin America in February and March 2011. The tour will visit Argentina, Brasil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Chile, Ecuador, Guatemala, México, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, República Dominicana and Venezuela (with even more countries to be announced).

The tour will be part of The Pop Festival, a brand new festival that will bring international music stars to Latin America, and which will also showcase the latest in contemporary art and technology.

The first date to be announced is a show at Costanera Sur in Buenos Aires, Argentina on March 5, 2011. The pre-sale for Shakira.com members is open now, for 24 hours. Head to the tour section for info and to buy tickets.
Brazilian
Superstar

Postby jpguy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm

O M F G ! Guatemala! Awaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!
Gonna see her live again!!! OMFG! I so can't wait for her to come!
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Brazilian » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:01 am

Brazilian
Superstar

Postby FutureMan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56 pm

:D Wordlwide Shakifans-Campaign! Help Us Please!

You just have to become a fan, HERE

8-)
FutureMan
Superstar

Postby Brazilian » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:10 am

Shakira meets the president of Brazil

Friday,March 18,2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjDAGNcM ... ded#at=399

Yesterday afternoon, Shakira met with the president of Brazil, Dilma Rousseff, at the Presidential Palace in Brasilia. Shakira began the meeting congratulating the President for a recently announced new program dedicated to the care of women during pregnancy and newborns. The program will build 6,000 kindergartens and preschools in the country by 2014, or 1,500 units per year.

Shakira said to the media after the meeting: "The state has a historic opportunity to eradicate extreme poverty and inequality. Our struggle with ALAS, the movement to which I belong, seeks to promote strategies for early childhood education and care to children between 0 and 6 years,"

The meeting also discussed the importance of investing in early childhood and agreed a working alliance between the ALAS Foundation and the Government of Brazil.

"My meeting with Dilma Rousseff was highly positive, the President showed great enthusiasm to initiate projects in collaboration with ALAS for children aged 0 to 6 years living in poverty. We will move on won't give up on the Latin American children," Shakira told the press.
Brazilian
Superstar

Postby Jim20 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:44 pm

The complete English version of Estoy Aquí leaked: I Am Here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLe1X91jrlc

It's rumoured that she intented to release this worldwide way back in 1996/1997/1998(?) but in the end she focused on the Latin audiences and canceled this.

Estoy Aquí now has three different versions: Spanish, Portuguese and English. :)
Jim20
Roadie

Postby Vindrag » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:12 pm

I'm sure FutureMan would be disappointed if he saw how this thread have flopped!
(I hope he's feeling great)

I only came here to say how Años Luz have been one of my favourite jams today! It does not sound as cheap production-wise as I thought before. Nice chill out track!

I can see that my "top Shakira list" a few posts above is completely made out of un-experience. I'm not sure how it would look today, but I'm positive Did It Again remains in the top 3.
Luc

and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:16 pm

I think she has a unique voice, I used to like her, will try and get back into her! :D

Also Vinnie have you listened to those Yoko albums yet babe? :wink:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Nice to see you in here, was'nt sure if Shakira was your cup of tea or not. As I wrote in another thread, I have huge respect for Shakira, she's very talented and a real "musician" - which I rarely call pop artists. Any favourite songs? I own both volumes of her Oral project - prefer the Spanish one of course, but Fixation is quite good. + downloading Sale El Sol (the album) tonight.

For your off-topic question, I'll answer in the Yoko Ono thread! :wink:
Luc

and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Vindrag wrote:Nice to see you in here, was'nt sure if Shakira was your cup of tea or not. As I wrote in another thread, I have huge respect for Shakira, she's very talented and a real "musician" - which I rarely call pop artists. Any favourite songs? I own both volumes of her Oral project - prefer the Spanish one of course, but Fixation is quite good. + downloading Sale El Sol (the album) tonight.

For your off-topic question, I'll answer in the Yoko Ono thread! :wink:
Well to be honest I only know a sporadic selection of tracks from her...Don't Bother, The One, Underneath Your Clothes are a few I liked from her, I also think her voice is distinctive. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 pm

Jupp! Her voice is what makes the music, especially in Spanish - I usually think her English singles suck - but love the Spanish ones. It's an underrated language in music, I'm addicted to French music but people seem to think that songs in Spanish is'nt as "deep" or simply interesting, touching.. I know many people here that really hate how she sings, when she's "shaking". Underneath Your Clothes is a classical-youth-anthem, The One is boring and Don't Bother is an OK album track.
Luc

and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby Shorty » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:18 am

I've been a Shakira fan since 2002 :D

Underneath Your Clothes got me into her, the moment I heard that song I fell in love with it :D

Laundry Service is easily her best album, Oral Fixation Vol 2 was dull IMO and She Wolf is alright. I also have Oral Fixation Vol 1, but I haven't really listened to it much, I should :D

My fave Shakira songs:

Eyes Like Yours
Fool
Underneath Your Clothes
Que Me Quedes Tu
Hey You
Animal City
Good Stuff
Mon Amour
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Return to General Artists Discussion