Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin, bm08

Postby BeeBoy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:18 am

That's no problem honey, I already know you get carried away often :oops:
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:56 am

Taylor Swift Donates Reputation Tour Tickets to Mourning Police Department
Per Billboard

Taylor Swift is helping ease the pain of a Massachusetts city mourning the recent loss of a police officer. Weymouth Mayor Robert Hedlund tells The Patriot Ledger that Swift donated “a significant number of tickets” to the town for her shows this weekend in Foxborough, which were distributed among city police officers. Weymouth Sgt. Michael Chesna was shot and killed while investigating a car crash July 15. The same person is also suspected of killing bystander Vera Adams.

Hedlund says there were enough to send “every police officer, firefighter and extended family to the concert, and then some.” The extras were passed on to other nearby police departments. Hedlund thanked Swift for the gesture on behalf of the town.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Mugen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:50 pm

In 2006, when she was 16 years old, Taylor Swift’s self-titled debut came out on Big Machine Label Group, the Nashville-based label that Scott Borchetta had founded the previous year. Swift and Big Machine came of age together: She has sold more than 32 million albums in the U.S. alone since then and BMLG has grown into a powerhouse, with multiple top-selling artists including Florida Georgia Line and Thomas Rhett.

But now, their time together may be drawing to a close. Swift’s most recent album, Reputation, which came out in November 2017, was her last under her current contract with Big Machine and she will be a free agent come November.

Big Machine has been negotiating hard to re-sign Swift for months, multiple sources say, but as of her big Nashville homecoming show at Nissan Stadium Saturday night (Aug. 25), no deal had been reached. While talks with BMLG have not ceased, she is now also talking with other labels to evaluate how much she is worth on the open market as one of the world’s biggest superstars. “Everyone is starting to sniff around,” says a source.

While BMLG can likely match any deal that any other label would offer her financially, at the heart of Swift’s discussions with BMLG are her gaining ownership of her masters from the label, which is the one thing that no other entity can offer her. But turning them over is not an easy decision for Big Machine.

“What’s the value of these masters going to be over the next 30 years? And you have to weigh that against, what is the value of keeping the artist for four or so more albums?” says one source. “You’re weighing out the value of the back catalog versus the value of a few new albums.”

However, the plot thickens in that Borchetta, as recently as 2015, was floating the idea of selling his company, which, three years ago, had an estimated value of between $200 million and $250 million. If he gives the multiple Grammy winner back her masters in order to keep her, the value of his company would likely drastically drop. One source estimates Swift’s masters could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars over their lifetime and simply states that Borchetta cannot return the masters if he ever plans to put BMLG back on the market and receive a significant sum.

Another source likened the situation to when Garth Brooks successfully renegotiated his contract in the early 1990s with Capitol Nashville to regain his masters. At that point, Brooks accounted for as much as 95 percent of Capitol Nashville’s sales. “They gave the store, and everything in the store, away to keep him,” the source says.

While Swift, 28, does not account for that high a percentage of BMLG’s sales and streaming numbers, she is responsible for a tremendous amount of BMLG’s revenue. Year-to-date, her sales and streaming account for 34.6 percent of BMLG’s market share. The overall figure through the years is much higher. (Even last year, it would have been substantially higher since Reputation sold more than 2 million copies in 2017 and generated more than 1 billion on-demand audio streams, according to Nielsen Music.)

Even in a streaming world with diminishing sales, Swift’s sales numbers remain daunting. Reputation sold more than 1 million copies in its first week, making Swift the only act to have four million-selling weeks, with four different albums, since Nielsen began tracking in 1991. Her biggest-selling album in the U.S. is 2008’s Fearless at 7.2 million copies.

Attorneys used to handling superstar deals say that among the points Swift should be negotiating with Universal Music Group-distributed BMLG, in addition to getting back her masters, are switching to a flat distribution rate and receiving an ownership stake in BMLG, as well as her own imprint if she wants it. “At this point she doesn’t need money, she should be looking for ownership,” says one attorney. “It’s the house that Taylor built.”

For someone of Swift’s superstar stature, the royalty rate could be as high as 25 percent to 28 percent, which means BMLG earns up to 75 percent of her sales and streaming revenue. Instead, attorneys say she should push for a deal where BMLG receives a distribution rate of around 10 percent.

Although BMLG handled various functions for Swift in her early career, over the last several years she has brought almost all duties -- including marketing and branding -- in-house. While BMLG may still work any songs to country radio, since 2012’s Red, she has increasingly moved over to pop, with Universal's Republic Records handling promotion to pop outlets. There is nothing in Swift’s current contract that would prevent her from moving to a UMG label.

As of 2015, Borchetta owned 60 percent of BMLG. Swift’s father, who invested in the company at its beginning, still has a minimal investment, but should Swift re-up, her family should aim to increase its ownership portion, attorneys say.

While money may ultimately determine whether Swift stays or goes, there is another factor: emotion. “The explosion of Taylor Swift and Big Machine were simultaneous and they’ve been linked for years,” says one industry executive. “This has been so much more than a major label signing an act and, 13 years later, the deal ends. It’s so much more emotional than that, so much more personal.”

Still, ultimately, Swift has to go where she feels the most fulfilled, both financially and creatively.

“I think she should go where she gets the deal that is most satisfying to her soul,” says a source. “If that’s with Scott Borchetta, great. If it’s someone else, great. When you’re a true creator of the songs and a true entertainer, you’ve got to have some soul satisfaction.”

Representatives for Swift and BMLG declined to comment for this story.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8472567/taylor-swift-big-machine-record-contract-ending-new-deal

Really interesting article. Do you think she'll bolt the label she's been with since the beginning?
Mugen
Personal Assistant

Postby Gravity » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:44 pm

It would be really interesting to see her go to another label.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby jochen » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:30 pm

She should make a nice girlie soft album now
Country pop
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
jochen
Manager

Postby Musicology » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 am

^ She should do an album similar to Fearless. That's my favorite TS album.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby Colbie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:47 am

^ yeah i would love for her going back to her country roots more, but i don't think its gonna happen soon
Colbie
Superstar

Postby dhenapie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:49 pm

SN remains my fave album from her. I'm sure she will, one day, put out another country-pop album again. But I concur it's not happening anytime soon. She's worked so damn hard to reach worldwide fame. And she did with 1989. I can't see her trading that to country atm to regain that market. I'm glad country seems very supportive of her still, and she still does side projects in country from time to time in between albums. So far, I'm fine with that.
Who else matters?
dhenapie
Manager

Postby Musicology » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:51 pm

^ She will definitely return to her country roots one day. Not anytime soon but probably when she isn't mega popular anymore. Probably 15 years from now. At the moment, she is at the peak of her career and she won't offset that by releasing a country album.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby solitaire » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:43 am

I think her return to country is sooner than we all think. She will release one more pop album IMO and then label the one after as her return to country. Imagine how the entire country community will freak out over that. She is a genius at marketing. She will capitalize off of that.
One life with one dream on repeat
solitaire
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:35 pm

She will return to Country when she'll realise her Pop career is in decline (which will happen at some point).
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:32 pm

solitaire wrote:I think her return to country is sooner than we all think. She will release one more pop album IMO and then label the one after as her return to country. Imagine how the entire country community will freak out over that. She is a genius at marketing. She will capitalize off of that.
I feel the same way. She'll be back to country-pop very soon.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby BillyBlitzkid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:41 pm

I think one more pop album with some country influences sprinkled in and then the next one full blown pop country, because she found back to her roots, you know the deal and you know we all will love it :-D
Many miles many roads I have traveled
Fallen down on the way
Many hearts many years have unraveled
Leading up to today
BillyBlitzkid
Manager

Postby Biebz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Would country welcome her back though? I heard they're a very fickle audience
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby BillyBlitzkid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:59 pm

Biebz wrote:Would country welcome her back though? I heard they're a very fickle audience
I think her management and PR team will know how to market the return of the princess of country to make sure that it will be a success.
Many miles many roads I have traveled
Fallen down on the way
Many hearts many years have unraveled
Leading up to today
BillyBlitzkid
Manager

Postby clh_hilary » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:01 am

Tennesse voter Taylor "Republicans do it better" Swift has made an Instagram post to denounce female Republican congresswoman Rep Marsha Blackburn BS (who's running for senate), to support her Democratic rival Gov Phil Bredesen BA, former Mayor of Nashville. She also endorsed Oxford-educated Democrat congressman Rep Jim Cooper Esq BA MA JD.

This is the youngest and two-time Grammy Album of the Year winner first time publicly endorsing and denouncing a political candidate. She previously suggested that she voted for Democratic President Barack Obama after the fact, but never showed clear support for Secretary Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BopoXpYnCes ... aylorswift
WhatTheHell wrote:Voice of the truth here!! :(
clh_hilary
Manager

Postby Musicology » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 am

^ Finally she speaks up about her political views. Now hopefully all those losers who call her a Trump supporter can stop.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby clh_hilary » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 am

Musicology wrote:^ Finally she speaks up about her political views. Now hopefully all those losers who call her a Trump supporter can stop.
Technically, she didn't say she wasn't supporting Trump himself. :wink:
clh_hilary
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:06 am

She did good. Bravo Taylor.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Gravity » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:32 am

She didn't have to. All these people were ridiculous with that Trump mess.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby beredy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Good job Tayloo. I'll make sure to give you some streams these days as a thank you!
beredy
Manager

Postby clh_hilary » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:32 pm

I wonder if her sales are going to tumble like Katy Perry's and Eminem's.
clh_hilary
Manager

Postby KEY9481 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Too little too late.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby BlueScorpion » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:53 pm

Gravity wrote:She didn't have to. All these people were ridiculous with that Trump mess.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 pm

I guess this also means no going back to country roots :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion