Taylor Swift

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, Benjamin, bm08

Postby BlankSpace » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:27 pm

Bazmedia wrote:
Musicology wrote:
BeeBoy wrote:So sad. In these times it certainly needs woke people since many people are racist, sexist, ignorant, homophobic or all of that together. Just look at the world news or around yourself. And on top of that come many priviliged people who don't care and look the other way for whatever reason. That's why we need woke people and the "woke era". stop belittleing it, if you don't care that's one thing but don't make it look bad to speak up, this only helps the oppressor. If more celebrities speak up the better, they have Influence and more people will hear and think about it.
No, just NO! At the end of the day, celebrities are celebrities. Take Taylor Swift for example. She is a music artist. Her job is to make music. Simple as that. She isn't a politician. Her job isn't to educated people on politics and who they should vote for. If she decides to share her political views, good, but if she decides to remain silent on political issues, she has every right to and she shouldn't be criticized for it. This whole woke culture is really annoying and getting out of hand.
+1 She is a musician not a politician. Next time keep it to yourself Taylor
Your beloved President is also a celebrity
BlankSpace
Manager

Postby mattsky » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Queen <3
Haven't been early since '88
mattsky
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:16 am

She is entitled to her own opinion.
GetBack
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pm

At the AMAs she's said her albums are like chapters in her life. And that's she's VERY excited about the next chapter. I've read somewhere are follow-up drops before she turns 30. So a new era may not take long. COME THRU, Taytay!
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:30 pm

She's obviously going to release a new album by early next year. I don't think she'll hype the fans by taking too long! :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:57 pm

She always goes for releases at fall/winter times. We'll surely have an album by November 2019.
You ain't gotta break down,
YOU'RE TOO STRONG!"
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby byzantium » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:50 am

GetBack wrote:She's obviously going to release a new album by early next year. I don't think she'll hype the fans by taking too long! :D :D
I think fall is much more likely. All of her albums have been released either in October or November.
byzantium
Personal Assistant

Postby GypsyHeart » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:13 am

4 years since 1989! I still remember it like it was yesterday.
I'll save my love for love in a land called far away
GypsyHeart
Manager

Postby dhenapie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:39 pm

♕♕♕
dhenapie
Manager

Postby GreekGeek » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 pm

^And this is how the mystery solved with the sh*tty promotion "reputation" got...
And the 8th day God created KYLIE!!! <3
GreekGeek
Superstar

Postby solitaire » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 pm

^ How does this solve that mystery?
One life with one dream on repeat
solitaire
Manager

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 pm

GreekGeek wrote:^And this is how the mystery solved with the sh*tty promotion "reputation" got...
You think Big machine messed up promo as a punishment for her leaving? :o :lol:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby GreekGeek » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 am

solitaire wrote:^ How does this solve that mystery?
MusicRecords wrote:You think Big machine messed up promo as a punishment for her leaving? :o :lol:
It's not a punishment. It's business. Obviously, a record company will not invest in money and effort for an artist that is going to depart from its crew.
GreekGeek
Superstar

Postby solitaire » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am

GreekGeek wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:You think Big machine messed up promo as a punishment for her leaving? :o :lol:
It's not a punishment. It's business. Obviously, a record company will not invest in money and effort for an artist that is going to depart from its crew.
Two flaws with that IMO:
1) They would have invested as much as possible to further convince her to stay with them.
2) the profits of that era go back to them. So even if she had decided to leave, they still would have tried to maximize off of their last era with her.
solitaire
Manager

Postby solitaire » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am

GreekGeek wrote:
Two flaws with that IMO:
1) They would have invested as much as possible to further convince her to stay with them.
2) the profits of that era go back to them. So even if she had decided to leave, they still would have tried to maximize off of their last era with her.
solitaire
Manager

Postby GetBack » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:32 am

I feel like this is a wrong business decision. It's so overhyped as if she's surely going to be cementing and securing millions in profit for everyone in the label, which is still up in the air. At the end of the day, it will all boil down to the revenue she will be making for the company. :-? :-?

I think that Universal is expecting so much from her with her career move. reputation did huge for the tour sales but I doubt that they will just rely on this kind of success. They obviously want her to deliver something that will eclipse the 1989 level of tour revenue, hit singles and album sales. :oops: :oops:

I can only imagine her monster promo for the next era. :o :o :o
GetBack
Legend

Postby GreekGeek » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:38 am

GetBack wrote:I can only imagine her monster promo for the next era. :o :o :o
Taylor's The Fame (Monster) era is upon us. :lol: :lol:
GreekGeek
Superstar

Postby Musicology » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:35 pm

I don't think Taylor will ever another era as big as 1989 in terms of album and singles success. I think reputation showed her that she is on a decline. Her new record company probably got her 5 years too late.
Musicology
Groupie

Postby Era » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:18 pm

At least now she will get Drake and Ariana level of streaming promo
Era
Legend

Postby Memph » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 pm

Yeah, I'm not convinced she'll have a 1989 level era again, although virtually no-one's ever had two eras that size (at least in terms of US success). The good news out of this to me is that it means that both her and her label have ambitious plans, so to anyone wondering if she was going to wind down her career and semi-retire to just writing songs, it looks like that's not where things are going, so we should get a good bit of hits, promo and touring.
Memph
Groupie

Postby Memph » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:52 pm

New member, long time lurker here.

I'm making a Swiftie community chart with a program that pulls the top 10 from each participant's last.fm to see what songs are most popular among Taylor Swift fans with time.

Here's an example of what the crownnotes chart could look like based on the 34 first people to sign up (mostly from r/TaylorSwift).

You can sign up here if you want to participate (over 50 fans signed up so far):
https://goo.gl/forms/YHejswC10alCFy8R2

I think I'll post them here since it's a group chart rather than a personal one but if mods feel I should post in the personal chart subforum I can do that.
Memph
Groupie

Postby Guru » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:44 am

Memph wrote:Yeah, I'm not convinced she'll have a 1989 level era again, although virtually no-one's ever had two eras that size (at least in terms of US success). The good news out of this to me is that it means that both her and her label have ambitious plans, so to anyone wondering if she was going to wind down her career and semi-retire to just writing songs, it looks like that's not where things are going, so we should get a good bit of hits, promo and touring.
Welcome! :P
What about Adele? 21 then 25, both diamond in US :-?
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby beredy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:09 am

Guru wrote:
Memph wrote:Yeah, I'm not convinced she'll have a 1989 level era again, although virtually no-one's ever had two eras that size (at least in terms of US success). The good news out of this to me is that it means that both her and her label have ambitious plans, so to anyone wondering if she was going to wind down her career and semi-retire to just writing songs, it looks like that's not where things are going, so we should get a good bit of hits, promo and touring.
Britney 2 diamond albums, Shania Twain 2 diamond albums and one 2xdiamond... There are girls that had multiple huge eras...
beredy
Manager

Postby Era » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:41 pm

Well Fearless is certified diamond in the US and 1989 is at 9x Platinum (it also just completed 208 weeks = 4 years on the BB200 too) so it will probably be certified diamond by the/soon after the release of her next album so she already has had 2 huge eras in the US too.
And I'll be more than happy if the next era even does 'Red' numbers in SPS.
Era
Legend

Postby Memph » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:09 pm

beredy wrote:
Guru wrote:
Britney 2 diamond albums, Shania Twain 2 diamond albums and one 2xdiamond... There are girls that had multiple huge eras...
When I said 1989 level era, I meant not just album sales, but Hot 100 performance, radio play, Billboard 200 performance (weekly & year end), media presence, youtube, touring, awards... I know this is a UK forum and Taylor Swift is not as big there, but at least in terms of the size of the 1989 era in the US, I still stand by the fact that hardly anyone's had multiple eras like that.

Shania's only album that was the top seller (US pure sales) released that year was Come On Over, while for Britney it was only Baby One More Time. Taylor has Self-Titled for 2006, Fearless for 2008, Red for 2012, 1989 for 2014, Reputation for 2017, and Speak Now came just 4% short of overtaking Eminem for the top selling album released in 2010. I think you need to take into account how different the industry was with Limewire, iTunes and streaming vs the late 90s.
https://atrl.net/forums/topic/201630-to ... f-release/
If you're going just off of the RIAA certifications, I have significant doubts that anyone will be able to have a diamond album with anything released from this point forward, even Adele.

1989 and even some of Taylor's albums did significantly better on the BB200 YE charts than most of those, and on the BB200 all time charts too.

1989's Hot 100 performance was also stronger than those other albums.

Ex weeks in the top 20 of the Hot 100

98 wks - 1989
78 wks - 21
69 wks - Fearless
50 wks - Come On Over
32 wks - Baby One More Time
26 wks - 25
13 wks - Oops I Did It Again
1 wk - Up!
0 wks - The Woman In Me

Adele is probably the one that came closest out of those three where there's the best case for having had two 1989 sized eras in the US. Although the 25 era had relatively toned down media presence for Adele, and less success on radio and the Hot 100, it still got the Grammys and superior sales. I would still say that 1989 era felt bigger than 25 era with all factors considered though.
Memph
Groupie

Return to General Artists Discussion