David Bowie

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin, bm08

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:41 pm

:oops: :oops:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby sonia85 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:43 pm

So..... I hope that you will like Dog Man Star ...It is my favourite Suede's album.
sonia85
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:43 pm

sonia85 wrote:So..... I hope that you will like Dog Man Star ...It is my favourite Suede's album.
I'll let you know Son! :D Do Suede have an artist thread?
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby sonia85 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:45 pm

sonia85
Manager

Postby Carbon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:49 pm

this is my fave bowie cover

необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:26 pm

^ Nina is f*cking marvelous. :lol: Shocked you like it though. :o Being sarcastic? :lol:

Her cover of Viva Las Vegas is my fave too.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:07 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:^ Nina is f*cking marvelous. :lol: Shocked you like it though. :o Being sarcastic? :lol:
no, I genuinely like her! not really familiar with too many songs of hers, but have known this cover for a long time, love it. her voice is something special

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm still doing an album a day (or sometimes more) in my collection, and I'm up to Let's Dance. To be truthful, it really isn't the "MTV sellout" people regard it as being. It was more or less the right album with the right videos at the right time when MTV was taking off. To me, Tonight was when he sold out and he had admitted that one was a cash-in hoping to keep the momentum from Let's Dance going. China Girl was actually kind of out there and edgy (well it was Iggy's song originally) for 1983 pop radio and it was more a case where the mainstream came to Bowie and not the other way around. Even putting the full length 7 1/2 minute "extended version" of Let's Dance was kind of ballsy since a lot of people likely bought the album especially for that song and got a much longer version than the one MTV and radio ran to the ground.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Never Let Me Down is probably the worst reevaluating his catalog.

I like a few songs, but the second half of the album is downright embarrassing for someone who had basically been ahead of the game for so many years and here he was slumming with filler like New York's In Love, Shining Star (Making My Love), Too Dizzy and 87 And Cry.... that's more filler than his entire 1970s output combined.

I do like Glass Spider though many fans hate it, it seems like he was trying to do an updated Diamond Dogs type of theme with it. I even kind of like his spoken word intro to the song, which was used on the tour as his entrance onto the stage.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm going through his albums gradually at the moment too. Lodger is amaze still.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:06 pm

I think if you combined the best halves of Tonight and Never Let Me Down, it would've been a solid album. Tonight's weakness was Bowie trying to be a lounge act and NLMD suffered with him getting bogged down by 80s excesses, but a 10 track record with the highlights of both albums would've gone over better than either album did separately.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby ShayLaB » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:29 am

ShayLaB
Manager

Postby Carbon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:18 pm

NF what's your take on Black Tie White Noise? it's such a weird album for me. I mean, regarding its position in his career. it's always credited as the comeback album after the nadir period and Tin Machine flops, but fans don't seem to remember or praise it all that much

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:15 pm

mrlemonade wrote:NF what's your take on Black Tie White Noise? it's such a weird album for me. I mean, regarding its position in his career. it's always credited as the comeback album after the nadir period and Tin Machine flops, but fans don't seem to remember or praise it all that much
I think it's a decent album though not a fave. I do think the album was Bowie starting taking more charge again after kind of getting lost in the crowd in the 1980s. The album was a love letter to Iman and he seemed genuinely happy on the songs. I think he got better in the 90s but I do think it was a nice return for him. Some of the jazzy r&b overtones are incredibly dated but I do feel like the album was him reclaiming his voice.

Pretty much flew through the 90s albums the last couple days, Heathen is next. Revisiting them start to finish pretty much cemented my opinions.... Outside is genius and sounds better IMO than it did when I first heard it in 1996, Earthling may have been out of his element but the production was stellar and the songs were great, and Hours had moments of brilliance *(Thursday's Child, Seven, If I'm Dreaming My Life, Something In The Air, What's Really Happening) but felt as directionless as Tonight and The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell is the closest he ever got to "dad rock" :lol: .
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:32 pm

totally forgotten how dull Reality is, especially following the high of Heathen which listening in its entirety again made me re-evaluate it as one of his best latter day albums alongside Outside and Blackstar.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:25 pm

NothingFails
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:04 pm

David Bowie's 'Man Who Fell to Earth' Film Getting U.K. Theatrical Re-Release

The cult sci-fi classic with arguably Bowie's most iconic film role has been restored in 4K.

Mr. Newton may have had enough, but it seems British cinemas haven't had enough of Mr. Newton.

To mark the 40th anniversary of the U.K. release of Nicolas Roeg's cult sci-fi film The Man Who Fell to Earth, arguably David Bowie's most iconic turn on the big screen, StudioCanal is nearing completion of a 4K restoration.

The film, in which the late musician plays a humanoid alien from a distant planet on a mission to take water back home, will be released theatrically on Sept. 9 by Park Circus.

Spearheaded by Deluxe London, the restoration is based on a 4K scan of the original camera negative, followed by a full 4K workflow, and all with the approval of original cinematographer Anthony Richmond. It has been in the works since late 2015, prior to Bowie's death in January.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ell-909033
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:48 am

Hard to believe it's already been six months... still at times almost find it hard to believe he's gone because he was such an omnipresent legend.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:02 pm

NothingFails wrote:Hard to believe it's already been six months... still at times almost find it hard to believe he's gone because he was such an omnipresent legend.
So weird, listening to Blackstar lately, too much. :cry:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:09 pm

David Bowie's Art Collection to Be Displayed, Then Sold

David Bowie’s extensive private art collection is to be sold at auction.

With a keen eye for fine art and modern British classics, the music legend amassed a collection of more than 400 items over his lifetime.

Bowie’s haul features more than 200 paintings by “many of the most important British artists of the 20th Century,” from Frank Auerbach to Damien Hirst, Henry Moore and Graham Sutherland, notes Sotherby’s, which will publicly display the pieces for the first time this November. The works will then go under the hammer in a three-part sale, and are expected to collectively fetch more than $13 million.

“Art was, seriously, the only thing I’d ever wanted to own,” the late music star told the New York Times in 1998. “It can change the way that I feel in the mornings.”

The Bowie/Collector collection will be exhibited from Nov. 1-10 at Sotheby’s New Bond Street galleries in London, and review exhibitions will be held in New York, Los Angeles and Hong Kong.

Bowie died Jan. 10 after a battle with cancer. He was 69. Just two days prior, he released what turned out to be his final LP, Blackstar. The album was a critical and commercial success, debuting atop the Billboard 200 chart to give the iconic singer his first U.S. No. 1.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... on-auction
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby WavingCorolla » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:22 am

Hi, I'm new here! :D

As a 19-year-old Romanian (in whose country David Bowie was never "big" due to decades-long dictatorships), it's been a great experience to discover his legacy during these six months since his death. I knew some of his songs and videos and I had listened a lot to "Valentine's Day", but it's a shame I didn't take the time to immerse myself into his art before his passing. But I'm glad it's finally happening. :)
WavingCorolla
Groupie

Postby WavingCorolla » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:31 am

A Q&A with Duran Duran’s Simon LeBon: In love with David Bowie, in awe of Prince
Q: Was there any band or singer or performer in particular who inspired you?

A: Yes, indeed. There were many. The one I was kind of in love with was David Bowie.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... rylink=cpy
WavingCorolla
Groupie

Postby WavingCorolla » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:59 am

The follow up to Parlophone’s award-winning box set, David Bowie - Five Years (1969 – 1973), will be David Bowie - Who Can I Be Now? (1974 – 1976). (More of which, later)

Exclusive to the set is The Gouster, which is previously unreleased as a complete album. Featured on the sleeve for this box set version, is a previously unpublished picture from the original photo session for the album.

Cover: https://scontent.fomr1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=582B9A82

Here’s how The Gouster’s tracklisting looked before it morphed into Young Americans.

Side 1
1. John, I’m Only Dancing (Again)
2. Somebody Up There Likes Me
3. It’s Gonna Be Me
Side 2
1. Who Can I Be Now?
2. Can You Hear Me
3. Young Americans
4. Right
As we say, watch out for full details and the release date of David Bowie - Who Can I Be Now? (1974 – 1976) later.
We’ll leave you with an excerpt from Tony Visconti's excellent notes on the album, taken from the box set book.

“Gouster was a word unfamiliar to me but David knew it as a type of dress code worn by African American teens in the ‘60’s, in Chicago. But in the context of the album its meaning was attitude, an attitude of pride and hipness. Of all the songs we cut we were enamored of the ones we chose for the album that portrayed this attitude.

David had a long infatuation with soul as did I. We were fans of the TV show Soul Train. We weren’t ‘young, gifted and black’ but we sure as hell wanted to make a killer soul album, which was quite insane, but pioneers like the Righteous Brothers were there before us.

So ‘The Gouster’ began with the outrageous brand new, funkafied version of David’s classic ‘John, I’m Only Dancing’, a single he wrote and recorded in 1972, only this time our version sounded like it was played live in a loft party in Harlem and he added (Again) to the title. It wasn’t the two and a half minute length of the original either.

We maxed out at virtually seven minutes! With the time limitations of vinyl (big volume drop with more than 18 minutes a side) we could only fit two other long songs on side one, ‘Somebody Up There Likes Me’ and ‘It’s Gonna Be Me’ both about six and a half minute songs. We had hit the twenty-minute mark. Technically that worked because ‘It’s Gonna Be Me’ had lots of quiet sections where the record groove could be safely made narrower and that would preserve the apparent loudness of side one.
Side two also hit the twenty-minute mark with ‘Can You Hear Me’ saving the day with its quiet passages. Forty minutes of glorious funk, that’s what it was and that’s how I thought it would be.”
WavingCorolla
Groupie

Postby ShayLaB » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:02 am

Ha...at last.

Vinyl box set #2 coming to my house in Sept.

Parlophone Records are proud to announce DAVID BOWIE ‘WHO CAN I BE NOW? (1974 – 1976)’ the second in a series of box sets spanning his career from 1969.

The follow up to the awarding winning and critically acclaimed DAVID BOWIE ‘FIVE YEARS (1969 – 1973)’ will be released on 23rd September and will contain the previously unreleased album from 1974 called ‘THE GOUSTER’.

The twelve CD box, thirteen-piece vinyl set and digital download features the material officially released by Bowie during the so-called ‘American’ phase of his career from 1974 to 1976.

The box set, which is named after a track recorded in 1974 but not officially released until the 1990’s, includes ‘DIAMOND DOGS’, ‘DAVID LIVE’ (in original and 2005 mixes), ‘YOUNG AMERICANS’ and ‘STATION TO STATION’ (in original and 2010 mixes) as well as ‘THE GOUSTER’, ‘LIVE NASSAU COLISEUM 76’ and a new compilation ‘RE:CALL 2’ a collection of single versions and non-album b-sides.

All of the formats include tracks that have never before appeared on CD/vinyl/digitally as well as new remasters.

Exclusive to each of the box sets is the previously unreleased as a complete album ‘THE GOUSTER’ that was recorded at Sigma Sound, Philadelphia in 1974 and produced by Tony Visconti. The album was mixed and mastered before David decamped to New York to work with John Lennon and Harry Maslin on what became the ‘YOUNG AMERICANS’ album. ‘THE GOUSTER’ contains three previously unreleased mixes of ‘Right’, ‘Can You Hear Me’ and ‘Somebody Up There Likes Me’.

For the 2016 release, Tony Visconti has overseen the mastering from the original tapes and photos taken by Eric Stephen Jacobs have been put together for the sleeve based around one of David’s original concepts for the album.

Also exclusive to the CD, vinyl, standard digital and MFiT box sets will be the remastered ‘DAVID LIVE (original mix)’, the 2010 Harry Maslin mix of ‘STATION TO STATION’ (previously only available on an audio only DVD in 5.1 and stereo as part of the ‘STATION TO STATION’ Deluxe box set in 2010) and ‘RE:CALL 2’.

This new compilation features the original single mix of ‘Rebel Rebel’, which has only featured on a 40th anniversary picture disc in 2014 since its original release on single in 1974, and a previously unreleased on CD Australian single edit of ‘Diamond Dogs’, the only place in the world that this edit was issued. Also appearing on CD for the first time is the single edit of the live version of ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll With Me’, which was issued to radio stations in the U.S. to help promote the ‘DAVID LIVE’ album.

‘RE:CALL 2’ features newly originated artwork with 1975 in-studio images from the ‘STATION TO STATION’ recording sessions by David’s friend and backing vocalist Geoff MacCormack aka Warren Peace.

The alternative cover for the 2010 mix of ‘STATION TO STATION’ by Harry Maslin, features the originally intended colour sleeve for the album that never got further than a few colour proofs and was replaced by the more familiar black and white image.

The vinyl box set has the same content as the CD set and is pressed on audiophile quality 180g vinyl.

The box set’s accompanying book, 128 pages in the CD box and 84 in the vinyl set, will feature rarely seen and previously unpublished photos by photographers including Eric Stephen Jacobs, Tom Kelley, Geoff MacCormack, Terry O’Neill, Steve Schapiro, and many others as well as historical press reviews and technical notes about the albums from producers Tony Visconti and Harry Maslin.

The CD box set will include faithfully reproduced mini-vinyl versions of the original albums and the CDs will be gold coloured rather than the usual silver.
ShayLaB
Manager

Postby WavingCorolla » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:40 am

David Bowie's videos have been nominated in the following 4 categories at the MTV Video Music Awards:

BEST ART DIRECTION
David Bowie – “Blackstar” (Production Designer: Jan Houllevigue)

BEST DIRECTION
David Bowie – “Lazarus” (Director: Johan Renck)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
David Bowie – “Lazarus” (Cinematographer: Crille Forsberg)

BEST EDITING
David Bowie – “Lazarus” (Editor: Johan Söderberg)
WavingCorolla
Groupie

Return to General Artists Discussion