That way
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
jochen
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:48 pm

nympho wrote:^
I think you didn’t get it.
All those had more albums later.
They’re talking about someone whose legacy is that big with JUST that number of songs in their repertoire.
Oh ok . . I get it, now it makes sense.

I think if those artists that I provided would have stopped releasing albums they would still have a legacy though . . . don't you think?
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby jochen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:49 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
They’re talking about someone whose legacy is that big with JUST that number of songs in their repertoire.

I think if those artists that I provided would have stopped releasing albums they would still have a legacy don't you think?
Correct :-)
jochen
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Back in the day when I was a kid and the Spice Girls were hot I didn't appreciate Mel C enough . . . I found Mel C and Victoria to be the boring ones when I was a kid . . . . They were a huge kids / teens phenomenom and I think Emma, Geri, and Mel B were the most appealing to kids or at least it seemed to be that way in my school.

. . . It wasn't until I was older and look retrospectively that I realized Mel C was an actual gift and true talent, she's IMO the most talented of the group. When you are a kid you don't appreciate those things.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:08 pm

Smash Hits (most popular music magazine in the UK for kids) ran a very thorough survey in 1997 all about the Spice Girls. There was no mainstream internet back then so you had to complete the survey and post it to Smash Hits headquarters.

I think there were over 20,000 responses (a guess) and I remember some results quite vividly.

Who is your favourite Spice Girl?
Geri was miles ahead of the others (I was shocked because I thought it would be close but she had like 40%). Emma was next on around 25%.
Mel C and Mel B had 10-15% each and VB was last with like 6%

Geri also won best hair
biscuits
The Diva

Postby jochen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Geri was the star.
She looked the most funny and sexy

After she left something changed.
The hair the make up and drag queen look....really suited her
jochen
Manager

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm

biscuits wrote:Victoria’s verse in 2B1 >>>>> Geri’s verse

Geri sounds awful here
Geri admits she struggled to even record it in her autobiography.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:16 pm

jochen wrote:Geri was the star.
She looked the most funny and sexy
She was the star. She also had the best stage pressence, and her outfits were always the best ones. The Union jack dress became one of the most iconic looks in pop culture.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Debs_Wild » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:31 pm

MrLeonix wrote:

I think if those artists that I provided would have stopped releasing albums they would still have a legacy though . . . don't you think?
Dido's first two albums were HUGE, but she hasn't left any legacy behind her. She is pretty much forgotten about nowadays.
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby nympho » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:53 pm

^
Exactly.
There are so many artists and groups that sold millions with one or two albums and nobody would give a damn if they returned now...
I found out the other day that Aqua released a new single a couple months ago... And nobody knew or cared.
Their 1st albums sold many many millions worldwide. They were huge. Can you imagine them returning with a Stadiums tour? Or making headlines across the globe with just one picture of the 4 of them together? The answer is obviously no.

Same could be said about so many 90s/00s acts that sold millions but their legacy is zero...

The Spice Girls were not only successful because of huge sales, they were simply a phenomenon. Ads, movie, merchandise, news headlines everyday, dolls, and of course their looks and personality. They were unique.

That’s why I find hilarious when younger generations even attempt to compare the likes of Little Mix with them. Even if LM ended up with more #1s or selling more records than them eventually (in UK of course, they’re not global), they will never ever reach that level of fame. That legacy. Being iconic. I swear I have all LM studio albums and I still don’t know each girl name. :oops: I swear it’s true. They have cool songs. But that’s it.
(No shade intended. In case they have any stans in here).
nympho
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Debs_Wild wrote:Dido's first two albums were HUGE, but she hasn't left any legacy behind her. She is pretty much forgotten about nowadays.
I totally agree about Dido. But there are other names in that list that would still have a legacy if they had stopped releasing music.

---

Anyways . . . For some reason it bugs the hell out of me and triggers a sort of OCD in me the fact that "Stop" was their only single from their prime to peak at #2 in UK while all the others were #1 :-? :-?

It annoys me big time :lol: . . . . Also I much prefer "Stop" over "Too Much".
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm

nympho wrote:
The Spice Girls were not only successful because of huge sales, they were simply a phenomenon. Ads, movie, merchandise, news headlines everyday, dolls, and of course their looks and personality. They were unique.
Exactly! I think we sometimes underestimate their power and the success they have had. I could go as far as saying that we haven't had a pop act since them that were SO big and that have left such a legacy, even though their prime as a group was relatively short. Ofcourse we have had very successful acts like Ed Sheeran, Adele, Beyonce, Bieber, 1D and GaGa but they have never come close to the hype that the girls had. Like you said, it wasn't just about the music, they were literally EVERYWHERE and there wasn't a product that didn't have their face on it.

Besides that, they have all had some very successful times in their solo career and are all five still household names. Just look at Geri- she had four #1 singles in a row!! In a time where you actually had to shift a lot of copies to hit the top spot.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby beredy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm

People coming for Dido need to stop right now.
beredy
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Fan wrote:Exactly! I think we sometimes underestimate their power and the success they have had. I could go as far as saying that we haven't had a pop act since them that were SO big and that have left such a legacy, even though their prime as a group was relatively short. Ofcourse we have had very successful acts like Ed Sheeran, Adele, Beyonce, Bieber, 1D and GaGa but they have never come close to the hype that the girls had. Like you said, it wasn't just about the music, they were literally EVERYWHERE and there wasn't a product that didn't have their face on it.
I can imagine it being that way in Europe.

Here in the Americas they were HUGE too (Everyone were obssesed with them) and there were a lot of merchandise and products and a huge mania surrounding them. However we also had other acts that had as much or even more impact than them over here.

Anyways . . .

Prime singles rank:

1. 2 Become 1
2. Say You'll Be There
3. Viva Forever
4. Mama
5. Wannabe
6. Who Do You Think You Are
7. Stop
8. Spice Up Your Life
9. Too Much

Prime music videos rank:

1. 2 Become 1
2. Say You'll Be There
3. Wannabe
4. Mama
5. Spice Up Your Life
6. Stop
7. Vica Forever
8. Who Do You Think You Are
9. Too Much
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby nympho » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:14 pm

^
The phenomenon was global. Literally.
nympho
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Fan wrote:
nympho wrote:
Exactly! I think we sometimes underestimate their power and the success they have had. I could go as far as saying that we haven't had a pop act since them that were SO big and that have left such a legacy, even though their prime as a group was relatively short. Ofcourse we have had very successful acts like Ed Sheeran, Adele, Beyonce, Bieber, 1D and GaGa but they have never come close to the hype that the girls had. Like you said, it wasn't just about the music, they were literally EVERYWHERE and there wasn't a product that didn't have their face on it.

Besides that, they have all had some very successful times in their solo career and are all five still household names. Just look at Geri- she had four #1 singles in a row!! In a time where you actually had to shift a lot of copies to hit the top spot.
Agree. 1D came the closest, but missed the mark by a large margin - where 1D relied on kids fancying them, the Spice Girls made kids wanna be them. As over exposed as they were, they also didn’t have social media or as much internet access as there is now, creating a buzz and excitement as we never quite knew what was coming next. Plus 1D had about as much personality as a used teabag.

The Spice Girls tapped into something on a cultural level. Something we didn’t even know we needed until we had it. That’s incredibly rare in music, but like everyone knows, you can’t be anything without the right music and they had it. They had it. Say what you want about them, they had good pop songs that remain as brilliant now as when they were released.

Adele works for exactly that reason - she too tapped into the public consciousness and created music that we didn’t know we wanted until we had it.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:28 pm

The phenomenon was global. Literally.
Yes it was indeed global but it was obviously bigger in Europe. I guess what you experienced from them in Europe must have been out of this world.

I was reading a lot about them and it seems like Geri and Mel B were the leaders of the group in many of the decissions, directions, and ideas they had.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:45 pm

MrLeonix wrote:I was reading a lot about them and it seems like Geri and Mel B were the leaders of the group in many of the decissions, directions, and ideas they had.
I don’t agree with this... to an extent. Mel B and Geri were the loudest and had the most energy, but Victoria and Mel C have gone on record to basically say that they were all usually on the same page but the loudest would be heard :lol:

Like, Geri is the first one that said “I think we should sack Simon”, but they were all thinking it individually. They were all in sync, and that’s why I think their music is so good, and why Geri leaving abruptly was a huge kick in the teeth as to how it happened (despite telling them repeatedly she was going in a few months).

That said. I think Victoria and Mel C are naturally reserved and having Geri and Mel B as outgoing gobby cows really helped spur them all on. Emma I think could flit between being in both ‘camps’, but back then she was probably on the young side to be as outgoing.

But there is something about being in a group that brings out the best in people and I genuinely think those 5 girls did exactly that.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:48 pm

I wasn't talking about who was the loudest or anything like that.

I literally went single by single and many concepts for songs, videos, ideas, etc came straight out of Geri or Mel B . . . Victoria even missed most of the writing sessions of "Wannabe".
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 pm

MrLeonix wrote:I wasn't talking about who was the loudest or anything like that.

I literally went single by single and many concepts for songs, videos, ideas, etc came straight out of Geri or Mel B . . . Victoria even missed most of the writing sessions of "Wannabe".
I was talking more about the perception of leadership.

Victoria was at a wedding when Wannabe was written. These things happen, I suppose!
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:20 pm

I think Geri and Mel B seemed to be a huge drive for the group and in several occassions they seemed to be ahead with original concepts for songs, music videos, bringing ideas, making things happen, fighting with executives themselves, creating looks, and lots of stuff that were hugely important for the group:

WANNABE

During the session, Brown and Bunton came up with the idea of including a rap near the end of the song.
"Wannabe" was recorded in less than an hour. The solo parts were divided between Brown, Bunton, Chisholm, and Halliwell. Victoria Adams missed most of the writing session and communicated with the rest of the group on a mobile phone.
Halliwell later described it, "the result was bloody awful". She elaborated in her second autobiography, Just for the Record: "Right at the beginning of the Spice Girls, [...] Ashley Newton had tried to turn us into an R&B group. He sent "Wannabe" over to America to be remixed by some hot R&B producers. He brought us jungle versions and hip-hop mixes and I hated them all. Although Mel B[rown] was a big fan of R&B, she agreed with me that these versions just didn't work so we exercised our Spice veto!
At the beginning of 1996 the impasse between the group and their record label about the release of the single was temporarily solved. In March, Fuller announced that he agreed with Virgin in that "Wannabe" should not be the first single. The label wanted a song that appealed to the mainstream market, and nothing considered too radical. Halliwell was shocked and furious; she told Fuller, "It's not negotiable as far as we're concerned. 'Wannabe' is our first single." Fuller and the executives at Virgin relented, and the song was chosen as their first single
-

SAY YOU'LL BE THERE

Melanie Brown and Geri Halliwell drove to Sheffield the day after the departure from Heart Management and looked for the first phone book they came across, Eliot was the third Kennedy that they called. That evening they went to his house and persuaded him to work with them, the rest of the group travelled to Sheffield the next day
The music video for "Say You'll Be There" was directed by Vaughan Arnell, produced by Adam Saward and filmed on 7–8 September 1996, in the Mojave Desert, located in California. It was inspired by the films Pulp Fiction and Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, the latter in which led the girls to adopt fictional identities, an idea that Halliwell came up with.
-

2 BECOME 1

It was inspired by the special relationship that was developing between Geri Halliwell and Rowe during the writing session.
-

MAMA

"Mama" was written by the Spice Girls with songwriting partners Matt Rowe and Richard Stannard. In an interview about the writing process between the group and the duo, Rowe credits Mel B as the one who came up with the song's concept
Brown explained the song's inspiration on the book Real Life: Real Spice The Official Story:

We wrote 'Mama' when I was going through a bad phase with my mum
-

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE

Halliwell's oufit, a black coloured mini dress emblazoned with an Union Jack on the front and a white peace symbol on the back, made the front page of various newspapers, and is now remembered as one of the most iconic symbols of Cool Britannia.
-

TOO MUCH

The concept of "Too Much" was mainly penned by Geri Halliwell while the group was filming Spiceworld in a closed set besieged by fans and the media, in London's Docklands. While Halliwell left the set, sitting in the backseat of a car, she started scribbling a few lines in a notebook about "love being blind and how words that appear deep may be meaningless". The other members then helped to complete the song. Halliwell, inspired by a T-shirt that said "What part of no don't you understand?
Wilson commented about the song:

Geri came in and sang: 'Too much of something/Da-da-da-da-da...Right. OK. You got that?' We started working on it and we wanted to do some sort of doo-wop vocal thing. So we constructed this backing track and then more of the girls started to come in—this was quite a good day—and gradually they started to add on their little bits.
-

STOP

The concept of "Stop" was mainly penned by Geri Halliwell. She came up with the first lines of the song and recorded them into a dictaphone. the next day she played the tape to Paul Wilson and Andy Watkins—the songwriters and production duo known as Absolute. The duo then worked with the melody and began playing with it
Halliwell commented on her autobiography:

I wanted something with a Motown feel. Mel C[Chisholm] eventually finished off the chorus and we had the basis for a song called "Stop". Later, when we had more time, the other girls came in and we helped write the verses and bridges.
-

VIVA FOREVER

In the book The Spice Girls Revisited by David Sinclair, it was confirmed by the co-writers/producers of the song Matthew Rowe & Richard Stannard that Geri Halliwell was the main songwriter of "Viva Forever".
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:32 pm

You realise you’re talking to fans that lived through the first era right? We don’t need copy paste Wikipedia quotes. We know all this.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm

menime123 wrote:You realise you’re talking to fans that lived through the first era right? We don’t need copy paste Wikipedia quotes. We know all this.
Judging by another thread on the news section many people didn't know this.

Geri was simply fantastic. Now I understand why Mel B also seems to be extremely passionate about the Spice Girls (more than other members), these 2 ladies took the lead in plenty occassions and made a lot of stuff happen.

Geri's debut had several #1 UK hits but I personally feel that her album could've been WAY bigger than it really was if it wasn't for the fact that she was seen as "the villain the destroyed the Spice Girls" she had that stigma around then and many fans saw her as someone who betrayed the group and ruined their childhood, at some point in 2000 she was even seen as a rival to the Spice Girls with media pitching "Forever" and "Schizophonic" against each other, it was just painful to watch and I'm sure Geri didn't want it that way . . Many fans were turned off and were not supporting the Spice Girls "Forever" album because it was not the same for them without Geri but many were not supporting Geri either due to loyalty to the group,

If only that separation was handled better.
Last edited by MrLeonix on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm

I LOVE this:

VB sounds great taking lead vocals, and I love how they’re only introduced as ‘Spice’. But nothing is funnier than noticing Geri mimes an entire a capella performance :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion