Spice Girls

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin, bm08

Postby SawyerHewitt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:07 am

Yeah, according to crackiswack anyone older than 26 is part of The Golden Girls' cast.

Whatever...
I stanned so hard for Holler when it came out. Effing masterpiece <3
Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.
SawyerHewitt
Superstar

Postby Fan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:04 pm

oaknuys wrote:So what happened to that GEM thingy? After that dire video message I thought they would have bring us some sorta surprise already
Didn't they announce they weren't going ahead with GEM? I remember reading something along fhose lines. I'm glad we never heard anything to be honest, for me it's the Spice Girls or nothing. GEM sounded like a car crash waiting to happen.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:05 pm

Song for Her was damn awful
biscuits
The Diva

Postby menime123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:52 pm

biscuits wrote:Song for Her was damn awful
God no, I bloody loved it. No matter what happens with GEM, I love that we got this.

Mel C has now said in an interview she thinks 'something will happen', after spending the last year saying it's an all or nothing reunion. It's a strange time in spiceworld anyway. Mel B is getting divorced, Victoria is singing them in Carpool Karaoke and tagging the other 4 in Spice love filled instagrams, Geri just had a baby, Mel C now thinks something might happen...

I've always said they - including VB - would do something for the 25th anniversary in 2021. It wouldn't surprise me if GEM is postponed until this happens to be honest, as I assume they'd have to be in discussions now to synchronise diaries and plans.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:04 pm

Mel B Reportedly Abused, Sexually Extorted by Ex Stephen Belafonte

According to TMZ’s exclusive, Mel B reportedly claims that Belafonte “choked and slammed her down onto the floor” in November 2007, the night of her Dancing With the Stars finale, and “punched her with a closed fist in the face” before a taping of the X Factor in July 2012, among other accounts of violence.

Belafonte allegedly threatened to release sex tapes of him and his estranged wife, and reports claim that he forced her to “participate in sexual intercourse with him and random women,” often filming these encounters without Mel B’s consent in an attempt to extort and control her career.

Also among the allegations is that Belafonte got his and Mel B’s nanny pregnant and then demanded she get an abortion, paying the nanny “in excess of $300,000 of Mel B’s money.”

However, speaking to TMZ’s photographers on Monday, Belafonte denied all the claims, saying, “I’m shocked at those allegations.”
http://popcrush.com/mel-b-stephen-belaf ... loitation/
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:21 am

That sounds absolutly horrible :o I remember reading stories about him during the time they got married, he never really seemed like a decent bloke to me.
Fan
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Spice Girl Mel B wins temporary restraining order against abusive estranged husband.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Fan wrote:That sounds absolutly horrible :o I remember reading stories about him during the time they got married, he never really seemed like a decent bloke to me.
Yes, absolutely disgusting :(
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:22 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Mel B’s Estranged Husband Hits Back At Abuse Claims

“It’s a shame that Ms. Brown elected not to proceed in a respectful and amicable fashion in this very private matter. In due course, Mr. Belafonte will be filing his response to the outrageous and unfounded allegations made by Ms. Brown, which allegations he vehemently denies.

When the Court determines the truth, it will become clear that this entire charade was nothing more than a smear campaign intended to cover up Ms. Brown’s own conduct during the marriage in light of her current involvement with a family television show, and in an effort to unfairly gain leverage both financially and with respect to custody of the children.

When the degree to which Ms. Brown has gone to create a false depiction of her marriage to Mr. Belafonte is uncovered, real victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual abuse will be understandably offended, angry and upset.

Mr. Belafonte is confident that the truth will come out when he has his day in court at which time he looks forward to being reunited with his children. What matters most to Mr. Belafonte is the safety and well-being of his daughters and step-daughters.”
http://thatgrapejuice.net/entertainment ... se-claims/
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:04 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Mel B Granted Restraining Order Against Nanny Amid Stephen Belafonte Split

Mel B has reportedly obtained a restraining order against Lorraine Gilles, the former nanny whom the America’s Got Talent star claimed had an affair with and got pregnant by her estranged husband, Stephen Belafonte.

On Tuesday (April 11), a judge issued an order for Gilles to refrain from contacting Brown and to stay at least 100 yards away from her, Entertainment Tonight reports.
http://popcrush.com/mel-b-granted-restr ... belafonte/
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri May 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Anyone read this article in The Guardian of journalist/mega Spice fan Joe Stone? https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... CMP=twt_gu.

It's a great one!
Fan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:43 pm

19 years since the Ginger one did a bunk. 1D stans have no idea :cry: :lol:
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 pm

menime123 wrote:19 years since the Ginger one did a bunk. 1D stans have no idea :cry: :lol:
Aka ruined my childhood. That took a lot of growing up to do. There was a real loss of innocence after she left
biscuits
The Diva

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Someone said they wouldn't have been as big and such a novelty if she hadn't left. Because when she left, they kinda fizzled out quickly...in opposite if she didn't they would've just faded slowly.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby GetBack » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:24 pm

I think they really peaked too fast, it was bound to happen. They may not be taken seriously the same way as those other acts from the nineties, but they were the most memorable act from that decade, hands down.
The love be so fake, but the hate be so real...
GetBack
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:52 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:Someone said they wouldn't have been as big and such a novelty if she hadn't left. Because when she left, they kinda fizzled out quickly...in opposite if she didn't they would've just faded slowly.
You can't second guess these things I suppose. The plan for the third album was a mixture of new group songs, group cover songs and solo material - solo plans weren't far away at all. They had started work on the 3rd album before Geri left - 'Goodbye' was originally written with Geri until she left and reworked into the version we know. There was talk of a live album too.

According to Geri's autobiography, the original plan apparently was to give it 2 years and end on a high. You can argue that this is easy to say in retrospect, but whats indisputable is that Geri was planning to leave in September 1998 and had told the girls - she told them in a meeting with lawyers she was leaving after the tour and this is documented with minutes and both Geri and Emma have confirmed it in court.

I don't know if anyone ever saw this, but the group, called a press conference the month before Geri left and she says, 'We've come to a point now where we feel it's time to move on... and erm... obviously we've done, going to be doing Wembley arena which is absolutely fantastic and that'll be the last… - Emma jumps in to shout about a Wembley stadium show, Mel B sits in silence with her hand covering her mouth just staring at Geri, and Mel C says 'That's it!":

(Around the 0:30 mark)

I do think all of them should have held on, completed the tour, announced the split and released a greatest hits and final single at the end of 1998.
menime123
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:16 am

Geri killed Spice Girls. They were destined to fade anyway although slower, they could have definately pulled one more extra successful album. But she really crushed many teen girls illusions that were obssesed with Spice Girls.

All for nothing, because none of them either ended getting an A-league solo career. Geri initially got a streak of popular singles in UK but she couldn't become the big solo pop global star she probably thought was going to be and none of her songs ended being remembered or classics or nothing, Mel C got some solid sales here and there but in reality as solo acts neither of them never reached the big leagues. They're just a Teen short-lived sensation. They're definately iconic but not taken seriously and as years go by the new generations know less and less about them.

Geri was a key and fan favorite member, they were not going to work without her and their fall was atrocious after she left. According to 'MjDangerous' "Forever" only sold 1,9million units worldwide back in the 2000 year after being so huge before, it was a catasthropic fall. It was a bomb. And they were done as soon as Geri left.

Despite all, Geri remains my favorite Spice Girl.
Last edited by MrLeonix on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:28 am

They probably would have faded - they were to big not to fade a little - and I do think Geri leaving when she did helped cement their legend as this huge pop band success.

What I think is interesting is how each of them have continued to find success in various fields - Mel B basically cracked America for a second time as a TV personality, Geri (until recently) held the record for the most U.K. #1 singles by a British female artist, Victoria is now a huge fashion designer, Mel C has a respectable solo career that allows her to tour Europe fairly consistently (and has her own label), and Emma... well, Emma is a radio presenter who promotes nappies (the irony).

I know they didn't plan it this way, but each girl is bigger and more powerful when they're together. Even Victoria. A statement of Girl Power if there ever was one.

I doubt that there'll ever be a pop phenomenon like them again - 1D have been the closest to it, but 1D weren't as big as the Spice Girls. For me, what I love after 21 years is that their music is still damn good pop music. Their fame and infamy would never have lasted so long if their music wasn't still enjoyable after all this time. But good pop music never dies.
menime123
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 am

Fan wrote:Anyone read this article in The Guardian of journalist/mega Spice fan Joe Stone? https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... CMP=twt_gu.

It's a great one!
Great read! Thanks for sharing this.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby GetBack » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:13 pm

To be honest, it could have been anyone. Had Mel C or Emma or Mel B left, they would have suffered the same fate. If they stuck together, they could have been at it longer, pop was still at the peak around 1999-2001.
The love be so fake, but the hate be so real...
GetBack
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:29 pm

If VB left in 1998, I think they could have remained successful. She was always the least popular
biscuits
The Diva

Postby menime123 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:55 pm

To be honest I have no idea how VB became the most popular. Her solo career flopped and she spent a few years being a WAG, before flirting with celebrity fashion items like sunglasses, perfumes and jeans. But on the reunion tour she continuously got the biggest cheer. It was only after the tour that she setup her fashion label and became a successful designer - and credit where credit is due, she's got a great fashion label. But frankly, she was a bit trashy before that :lol:

I do love her though - it's trashy, but I loved her blonde bimbo era :lol:

menime123
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Didn't she become popular by marrying David?
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion