Lara Fabian

Moderators: tdc2000, Benjamin, stevyy

Postby RayRay » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Lara is going to be judge on The Voice! (La Voix Canada)
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Never knew Lara Fabian had a short lived romance with Walter Afanasieff, but I found the following interview translated from Russian:

~ LFR exclusive ~
Interview with WALTER AFANASIEFF !!
“I have a Russian soul, but I'm an “american boy” ”
LFR proudly presents ENGLISH translation of the excerpt where Mr Afanasieff talks about Lara Fabian !
---------------------------------------------
Journalist: You have worked with international stars. Which of these encounters have been the most important for you?

Walter Afanasieff: In fact there have been a lot of such encounters... It was a great pleasure and honour for me to work with Michael Jackson... People like him – that's one in a million. Actually that's impossible to mention everyone... Whitney Houston, Darren Hayes, my close friend saxophonist Kenny G, Celine Dion, Lara Fabian. For Lara Fabian I wrote a very beautiful song “Broken Vow”. Do you know such a singer, Lara Fabian?

Journalist: Yes, of course.

WA: Me and her, we had a very sad story. We had a “romance”; I almost got married to this woman. But we broke up. I broke her heart a little bit, and she stopped mentioning my name. Today, when she talks about the song “Broken Vow”, she says that she wrote it [on her own]. That's it! (/Voilà!) I have had a few high-profile stories like this one. Let's not go there. (Gets lost in his thoughts.) But you know what's interesting – when I had a love story with Fabian, Celine Dion simply hated her, but Lara wanted to sing like Dion. Not an easy situation. I happened to be between both of them. Eventually both women stopped communicating with me. Celine thought that I wrote the best songs for Fabian, that only with her I shared the musical secrets... By the way, around the same time Mariah Carey left me.
---------------------------------------
Source: "OK Magazine" (Russia, April 5, 2013)
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Lara responded to the interview in French, but someone translated it:

Dear all,

I'd like to respond to something that has been written on the Romanian Facebook page, where they translated Mr. Afanasieff's interview. I'd like to say a few words and in all humility and re-establish some truth.

I hold Walter in the highest respect, musically. I never stopped mentioning him. It is an honor to have worked with such a talent. It is true I have always said "Broken Vow" is my song, because it is based on my personal story with him. Here is the story of how we wrote Broken Vow . Maybe Walter will be humble enough to remember it.

The day we wrote that song, we got into Wally World Studios in San Francisco (his own studios) and sat at his beautiful Bosendorfer piano. As usual our night had been complicated and full of heart felt complex tortuturing conversations. That's mostly where I drew my inspiration from to write this record. I was totally convinced something was wrong, and when we sat at the piano I felt in my heart a great song was going to come out of that particular moment.

Before I wrote every bit of of the lyric, which sadly became prophettic, the harmonies in the melody were created. Walter is totally responsible for the foundation of that music, he wrote all the harmonies and most of the melody. We both sat at the piano that day and as he was unfolding the harmonies, we both created the notes. Yet the bridge is my responsibility. When Walther hit that part of the harmony at that very second out of my heart came the melody you hear in the bridge.

The truth is that when I asked to be quoted as a composer for that part of the song, he refused it and I did not have the power to make him go for what was right and fair to me at that time.
So yes, in time I specified to whoever asked me, that some of the song was not just his melody as he claimed, but also mine. Because I felt it was right to correct him and say the truth.

I wanted to respond to that interview even when I was not asked anything, because despite the pain which made me grow, I can say that thanks to this story I became a better songwriter, working with such a genius. Even through despair sometimes, the most extraordinary experiences happen in life.

I am sorry he felt our story destroyed his relationships with other female singers. Yet I think it does not depend on that. I guess I will have to write the rest in my biography. As for his quote about me wanting to sing like my peer Celine, it is so stupid... Indeed we are part of the same family of singers and mostly hold the same range. That being said, I never wanted to be anything but me and learn to become the best I could. Yet, as I said and repeated but let me say it again. She's been a great guide and inspiration along with Barbra Streisand, Mariah Carey, Whitney Housotn, Kate Bush and Annie Lennox. The rest is history.

Sincerely yours,
Lara
RayRay
Superstar

Postby chilled » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:46 pm

RayRay wrote:Lara responded to the interview in French, but someone translated it:

Dear all,

I'd like to respond to something that has been written on the Romanian Facebook page, where they translated Mr. Afanasieff's interview. I'd like to say a few words and in all humility and re-establish some truth.

I hold Walter in the highest respect, musically. I never stopped mentioning him. It is an honor to have worked with such a talent. It is true I have always said "Broken Vow" is my song, because it is based on my personal story with him. Here is the story of how we wrote Broken Vow . Maybe Walter will be humble enough to remember it.

The day we wrote that song, we got into Wally World Studios in San Francisco (his own studios) and sat at his beautiful Bosendorfer piano. As usual our night had been complicated and full of heart felt complex tortuturing conversations. That's mostly where I drew my inspiration from to write this record. I was totally convinced something was wrong, and when we sat at the piano I felt in my heart a great song was going to come out of that particular moment.

Before I wrote every bit of of the lyric, which sadly became prophettic, the harmonies in the melody were created. Walter is totally responsible for the foundation of that music, he wrote all the harmonies and most of the melody. We both sat at the piano that day and as he was unfolding the harmonies, we both created the notes. Yet the bridge is my responsibility. When Walther hit that part of the harmony at that very second out of my heart came the melody you hear in the bridge.

The truth is that when I asked to be quoted as a composer for that part of the song, he refused it and I did not have the power to make him go for what was right and fair to me at that time.
So yes, in time I specified to whoever asked me, that some of the song was not just his melody as he claimed, but also mine. Because I felt it was right to correct him and say the truth.

I wanted to respond to that interview even when I was not asked anything, because despite the pain which made me grow, I can say that thanks to this story I became a better songwriter, working with such a genius. Even through despair sometimes, the most extraordinary experiences happen in life.

I am sorry he felt our story destroyed his relationships with other female singers. Yet I think it does not depend on that. I guess I will have to write the rest in my biography. As for his quote about me wanting to sing like my peer Celine, it is so stupid... Indeed we are part of the same family of singers and mostly hold the same range. That being said, I never wanted to be anything but me and learn to become the best I could. Yet, as I said and repeated but let me say it again. She's been a great guide and inspiration along with Barbra Streisand, Mariah Carey, Whitney Housotn, Kate Bush and Annie Lennox. The rest is history.

Sincerely yours,
Lara
As I sais in the Mariah thread, Walter is known to be a bit of a jerk. Very talented!!! Kind of dated songwriter but he did beautiful things for many singers. I admire and love Lara as well and how classy and articulate she responded to his silly comments
Underneath The Stars
chilled
Manager

Return to General Artists Discussion