Debbie Gibson

Moderators: tdc2000, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby RayRay » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:48 pm

This thread is an ode to the wonderful singer/songwriter Miss Deborah Gibson.

Anyone out there who owns and loves her debut album Out Of The Blue?

It was one of my first non-Madonna CD's. (My first non-Madonna CD was by Tiffany.)

Her first top 40 hit here was Shake Your Love and my sister heard it on the radio and said I would love it.
And yes, I did! Went to the shop to listen to the album and I loved it so much I bought it.
Definetley one of my most played albums of the 80's!
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Some of you must have played her top 10 smash Foolish Beat over and over again.
She even hit the #1 spot in the US and took the record for youngest writer/producer ever!
RayRay
Superstar

Postby Madgefan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:05 pm

I still remember her most for 'Shake Your Love' :D

The amount of bitching I got from friends for liking Madonna was bad enough. When they found out I liked Debbie Gibson they almost disowned me :P

Anyway, after you mentioned her the other day I played the cassette I had of the album :D i still love 'Out of the Blue'.
It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is
Madgefan
Superstar

Postby MsWeiss » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:29 am

She has so much in common with Mariah Carey. Both were born in 1970 and in Long Island, both have been writers & producers since they first came out. Mariah has Marilyn's piano, Debbie has Liberace's piano. Debbie & Vanilla Ice presented Mariah with her first Grammy in 1991 & Debbie is one of the few people Mariah follows on Twitter.
MsWeiss
Manager

Postby RayRay » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Her albums:

Out Of The Blue (1987):
Including Foolish Beat giving her the record for being the youngest singer/songwriter/producer with a #1 on the HOT 100. Other Billboard Top 5 hits were: Only In My Dreams, Shake Your Love and Out Of The Blue.

Electric Youth (1989):
Including Lost In Your Eyes another #1 on the Billboard HOT 100. The song stayed at #1 for three weeks and by achieving this she was the first female singer to have both an album and single simultaneously at #1. One of the other songs (Over The Wall) she wrote with Madonna in mind. She offered it to her, but she got it returned with the message that it didn't fit on the forthcoming album (Like A Prayer). After hearing the album Debbie could understand as it was very different to Madonna's previous records. Lost In Your Eyes was her biggest single, but she also had hits with Electric Youth, No More Rhyme and We Could Be Together. Although Debbie writes her own songs, she does collaborate with others like Fred (Madonna) Zarr. 1989 was a good year for Debbie, she shared the 1989 ASCAP Songwriter of the Year Award with Bruce Springsteen.

Anything Is Possible (1990):
It had her working with Jellybean (Madonna) Benitez and Lamont (the Supremes) Dozier.

Body Mind Soul (1993):
This album had Debbie going in a more sensual direction with Losin' Myself. One of her best songs ever IMO. With Madonna and Janet going more sensual, I guess they were hoping it would work for Debbie as well. To me Losin' Myself is her That's The Way Love Goes. Another single that raised eyebrows was Shock Your Mama which had an hilarious video.

Grease (1993):
Not really a Debbie album of course, but with her singing Sandy, she did do the main part. Includes the UK hit You're The One That I Want.

Think With Your Heart (1995):
This time Debbie went for a more mature route. Having a complete orchestra in the studio and many piano ballads. Her cover version of Will You Love Me Tomorrow is the best I've ever heard of that song.

Deborah (1998):
Probably my favorite album. Has some real gems like Butterflies Are Free, Naturally, Where I Wanna Be, Just Wasn't Love and Cry Tonight.

M.Y.O.B. (2001):
Mind Your Own Business is probably my least favorite album.

Colored Lights: The Broadway Album (2003):
By this time Debbie had played so many roles in musicals, she recorded an album full of musical songs. It did feature one original song.

Ms. Vocalist (2010):
This album featured mainly English-language covers of popular Japanese songs and was only released in Japan.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 am

http://debbiegibsonofficial.com/2013/cincinnati-pride/

Celebrating 25 years since Foolish Beat hit #1 on the Billboard HOT 100.

Deborah still sounds great live today.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:10 pm

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt ... 45724.html

New interview about her gay fans and the 25 year celebration of Electric Youth.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm

RayRay
Superstar

Postby herb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:57 pm

The picture in People magazine site is terrible. :cry: That is not very nice. :o

I like ballads from this album.
herb
Personal Assistant

Postby RayRay » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S25mi2ISgYc

Great overview of her carreer. :D
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:09 pm

http://www.uptv.com/news/2015/new-up-or ... rse-career

New movie "The Music In Me" and new song "Promises" coming up! :D
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:38 pm

Madgefan wrote:I still remember her most for 'Shake Your Love' :D

The amount of bitching I got from friends for liking Madonna was bad enough. When they found out I liked Debbie Gibson they almost disowned me :P

Anyway, after you mentioned her the other day I played the cassette I had of the album :D i still love 'Out of the Blue'.
I still have friends who cannot understand my love for Debbie Gibson. She came up in the late 80's with Tiffany and Kylie Minogue. To me Debbie was always my favorite. She's not only a great singer, but also a gifted songwriter and talented piano player. At the beginning media was most positive about her because of her talents and even called her the new Madonna. If she hadn't gone off the commercial route to stay true to herself, she may still have been popular now. On the other hand, then she'd probably never released such a gem album as Think With Your Heart.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby MonaBlissa » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:51 pm

Electric Youth 8-)

Debbie's voice was honey, and her technique was something special.

I wonder why Lost In Your Eyes wasn't sang on shows like American Idol. I think because many of those sings had raw talent, but bad technique.
Last edited by MonaBlissa on Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonaBlissa
Manager

Postby AlmondBreeze » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:07 pm

Debbie is wonderful. Loved her debut album and absolutely adored Lost In Your Eyes. For me, the magic sort of died with her third and fourth album and after that I stopped following her but she will always be a star in my books. Saw her Hallmark tv movie earlier this year and I remember seeing her on a tv show last year looking for an apartment in NY (probably a repeat). She has a wonderful piercing clear voice and great songwriting chops.
AlmondBreeze
Manager

Postby RayRay » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:05 pm

AlmondBreeze wrote:Debbie is wonderful. Loved her debut album and absolutely adored Lost In Your Eyes. For me, the magic sort of died with her third and fourth album and after that I stopped following her but she will always be a star in my books. Saw her Hallmark tv movie earlier this year and I remember seeing her on a tv show last year looking for an apartment in NY (probably a repeat). She has a wonderful piercing clear voice and great songwriting chops.

Yes, Lost In Your Eyes is an absolute gem. You'd expect this song to appear on talent shows were singers play piano as well.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby AlmondBreeze » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:20 pm

New Hallmark movie next month, new song and an acoustic version of Only In My Dreams!

http://www.people.com/article/debbie-gibson-summer-of-dreams-movie-preview-interview-exclusive
AlmondBreeze
Manager

Postby RayRay » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:17 am

MonaBlissa wrote:Electric Youth 8-)

Debbie's voice was honey, and her technique was something special.

I wonder why Lost In Your Eyes wasn't sang on shows like American Idol. I think because many of those sings had raw talent, but bad technique.
And I love the choreography in the video!!!!!!!!!!

RayRay
Superstar

Postby Controlfreak » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:16 am

Lost In Your Eyes>>>>>
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby RayRay » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:43 am

Controlfreak wrote:Lost In Your Eyes>>>>>
My favorite: Naturally

RayRay
Superstar

Postby AlmondBreeze » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:26 pm

I always enjoyed this track - don't know why they didn't release it as a single - it was much better than many of the ones they did release.

AlmondBreeze
Manager

Postby PerKitty » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:42 am

This is my own experience with Debbie Gibson from the 80s. My sisters went to the record store in town to get Tiffany's album that has the song "All This Time." Instead, they came home with Madonna's Like a Prayer cassette with her bra in the front. Me and my sisters agreed it's good to return Like a Prayer and replace it with someone else. Soon, my sisters came home with Debbie's "Electric Youth" and the rest was history!

The songs I could remember from Debbie's EY album were:

Lost in Your Eyes
Who Loves Ya Baby
Shades of the Past
You Know You Should've Been the One
Silence Speaks a Thousand Words
we Could be together for awhile
No More Rhyme
etc.

My all time faves were Lost in Your Eyes, No More Rhyme, and We Could Be together For a while. Electric Youth was on there too but meh.

I had thought Debbie would outlast other 80s singers but nope. It's sad that she wrote her own songs and her voice was amazing, still love Sleigh Ride but I guess people looked beyond her. It was great seeing Katy Perry feature her for her "Last Friday Night" vid in 2011. If you're reading this Debs, you're still being thought of and will always be remembered for your Electric Youth album.
PerKitty
Roadie

Postby RayRay » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 pm

@AlmondBreeze, Where Have You Been is also a favorite of mine. She had many great ballads on the Anything Is Possible album. I also really loved Sure, Try and In His Mind.

Her biggest hit here in the Netherlands: Foolish Beat

RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Debbie playing the piano for an acoustic version of My Way (Calvin Harris).
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119801

Let's give Deb some love. :D
RayRay
Superstar

Postby AlmondBreeze » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Saw Debbie's most recent Hallmark movie, Summer of Dreams, last week and really enjoyed it. She is a good actor ... however, not sure what has happened to her voice - has turned very nasal and rather unpleasant. But I am glad she has found another sustainable career as an actor.

AlmondBreeze
Manager

Return to General Artists Discussion