The single has sold over 3,7million units in pure sales according to MJD from Chartmasters.The 75 Moments That Defined the Decade in Music (So Far)
January 29, 2011: Britney Spears' "Hold It Against Me" debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100
Britney Spears' Femme Fatale lead single, helmed by the early-'10s dream team of Max Martin, Dr. Luke, and Bonnie McKee, immediately returned the pop legend to the top of the charts with her first release of the new decade. But the success of "Hold It Against Me" would have implications well beyond the artists involved: The song was one of the first major hits to employ a dubstep breakdown, establishing the largely underground EDM phenomenon within the pop mainstream. Soon, smashes by Justin Bieber, Flo Rida and JAY-Z and Kanye West would drop down the rabbit hole after Britney. -- A.U.
Source: http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... decade-10s
-Debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 121,000 copies...Baby One More Time is the debut studio album by American singer Britney Spears. It was released on January 12, 1999 through Jive Records.In June 1997, while Spears negotiated with manager Lou Pearlman to join female pop group Innosense, her mother asked family friend and entertainment lawyer Larry Rudolph for his opinion and submitted a tape of Spears singing over a Whitney Houston karaoke song. Rudolph decided to pitch her to record labels, sending them a demo tape with an unused song from Toni Braxton. Jive was interested and appointed the singer to work with producer Eric Foster White. After hearing the recorded material, Jive signed Spears to a multi-album deal.
This is a good list Some might argue different numbers for some of these releases, but you're not missing anyone and I believe all of these albums belong in this list.MrLeonix wrote:The 20 Best selling female albums of all time (Pure sales - My estimations):
1. The Bodyguard OST - Whitney Houston - 38,000,000
2. Come on over - Shania Twain - 34,000,000
3. Jagged little pill - Alanis Morissette - 33,000,000
4. 21 - Adele - 31,000,000
5. Lets talk about love - Celine Dion - 31,000,000
6. Falling into you - Celine Dion - 30,000,000
7. The inmaculate collection - Madonna - 28,000,000
8. Music box - Mariah Carey - 26,000,000
9. Baby one more time - Britney Spears - 24,000,000
10. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston - 24,000,000
11. True Blue - Madonna - 22,000,000
12. Come away with me - Norah Jones - 22,000,000
13. 25 - Adele - 21,000,000
14. Like a virgin - Madonna - 21,000,000
15. All the way .. A decade of song - Celine Dion - 21,000,000
16. Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman - 20,000,000
17. Oops I did it again - Britney Spears - 20,000,000
18. Daydream - Mariah Carey - 19,000,000
19. Tapestry - Carole King - 19,000,000
20. Whitney - Whitney Houston - 19,000,000
Am I forgetting / excluding someone?
I think that it will be extremely hard that a new female album get close to these numbers in the future. At least I don't think its happening anytime soon. Artists like Adele are like 1 in a decade phenomenom.
She grossed more in a 4.5k venue than some pop stars are grossing with their arena showsmatheusbelmont wrote:
Weww she killed it!
-#1 in 10 countries"Toxic" is a song recorded by American singer Britney Spears for her fourth studio album In the Zone (2003). It was written and produced by Christian Karlsson and Pontus Winnberg (known collectively as Bloodshy & Avant), with additional writing from Cathy Dennis and Henrik Jonback. The song released on January 13, 2004, by Jive Records, as the second single from In the Zone. The song was originally offered to Kylie Minogue for her ninth studio album Body Language (2003), but she rejected it. After trying to choose between "(I Got That) Boom Boom" and "Outrageous" to be the second single from In the Zone, Spears selected "Toxic" instead. A dance song with elements of bhangra music, "Toxic" features varied instrumentation, such as drums, synthesizers and surf guitar. It is accompanied by high-pitched Bollywood strings, sampled from Lata Mangeshkar and S. P. Balasubrahmanyam's "Tere Mere Beech Mein" (1981), and breathy vocals. Its lyrics draw an extended metaphor of a lover as a dangerous yet addictive drug.
7th Best selling physical singles artist.THE BEATLES
Yesterday, a list of the Biggest Digital Single Sellers has been published. We saw that Rihanna easily dominates this ranking but there is no suspense, she does not appear among Best Physical Single Sellers. It is becausethe physical single market was dead a long time before she has released her first record. So, who leads this category? Are there well ranked artists in the two formats? You will find the answer in the list below!
Please keep in mind some artists with strong results in this format haven’t been studied so far, e.g. Elton John, Elvis Presley or Diana Ross. All figures reflect the value as collected at the time of the artist’s respective articles.
A lot of lists like this one are available in the Data Collector, so feel free to read them to gauge how your favorite artist ranked in it.
Reminder of the formula:
Equivalent Albums Sales (EAS) = 0.3 * Physical Single Sales
Artists Ranking – Physical Singles SAles
1. Beatles – 116,080,000 units (34,823,000 EAS)
2. Michael Jackson – 79,350,000 units (23,805,000 EAS)
3. Madonna – 75,210,000 units (22,563,000 EAS)
4. Bee Gees – 72,790,000 units (21,837,000 EAS)
5. Rolling Stones – 72,770,000 units (21,832,000 EAS)
6. ABBA – 54,400,000 units (16,320,000 EAS)
7. George Michael & Wham! – 49,880,000 units (14,964,000 EAS)
8. Whitney Houston – 49,520,000 units (14,857,000 EAS)
9. Queen – 47,100,000 units (14,131,000 EAS)
10. Cher – 46,220,000 units (13,866,000 EAS)
11. David Bowie – 44,200,000 units (13,261,000 EAS)
12. Johnny Hallyday – 43,740,000 units (13,121,000 EAS)
13. Janet Jackson – 40,640,000 units (12,191,000 EAS)
14. Céline Dion – 39,290,000 units (11,787,000 EAS)
15. Billy Joel – 36,900,000 units (11,070,000 EAS)
16. Mariah Carey – 36,890,000 units (11,067,000 EAS)
17. Jackson 5 & The Jacksons – 31,160,000 units (9,348,000 EAS)
18. Bon Jovi – 27,980,000 units (8,394,000 EAS)
19. Fleetwood Mac – 26,060,000 units (7,817,000 EAS)
20. U2 – 22,550,000 units (6,765,000 EAS)
21. Bruce Springsteen – 21,010,000 units (6,302,000 EAS)
22. Spice Girls – 20,020,000 units (6,006,000 EAS)
23. Britney Spears – 18,600,000 units (5,580,000 EAS)
24. Backstreet Boys – 18,010,000 units (5,403,000 EAS)
25. Eminem – 17,970,000 units (5,391,000 EAS)
http://chartmasters.org/2018/01/data-co ... s-sellers/