Luis Fonsi :: The "Despacito" Era

Moderators: AutomaticBR, kingofskiffle, Wayne, arab, stevyy

Postby trebor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:10 pm

^^
Forbes, AUG 4, 2017 @ 05:56 PM, Hugh McIntyre, CONTRIBUTOR

'Despacito' Just Became The First Video To Reach Three Billion Views On YouTube

It’s only been online for less than nine months, but Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s “Despacito” music video has just become the first clip to reach, and pass, the three billion play milestone on YouTube, making history in the process.

It was only earlier today that “Despacito” overtook Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth’s “See You Again” to become the most popular video on YouTube. That hip-hop/pop track had stolen the crown from Psy’s “Gangnam Style” just one month prior, so it didn't get to rule for very long. While the honor of being on top seems to be changing hands regularly these days, there doesn’t appear to be any upload that will challenge “Despacito” for the No. 1 position, at least not for some time.

“Despacito” was first uploaded to YouTube back in mid-January, and ever since, people all around the world haven’t been able to stop pressing play on the colorful, fun-loving visual. All of those YouTube views have helped propel the song up the charts, and the track is still going strong in almost every territory. In fact, the tune remains firmly planted at No. 1 on the Hot 100 this week for its twelfth turn at the top.

While it was the addition of Justin Bieber that pushed “Despacito” to the peak of the all-encompassing singles tally in most English speaking nations, it is the original version of the video that has earned the honor of becoming the first visual to collect at least three billion plays. There is no official video featuring the Canadian pop star, though an audio-only upload, which originally caused quite a commotion and grabbed the attention of those who had been missing out on Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s biggest hit, does already have about half a billion clicks, and that figure is steadily climbing.

In addition to being the only video with three billion plays, “Despacito” also made history just a few months back when it bolted to two billion YouTube streams faster than any other single visual had, proving itself to be an instant smash and fan favorite.

“Despacito” may be the first video to ever reach three billion watches, but it won’t be the last, and it’s likely only going to be a matter of days before a second popular clip joins the Latin tune. “See You Again” is close behind, and for a little while, it looked like that Furious 7 soundtrack tune might have become the first to earn the glory, but now it will have to settle for coming in a very close second place.
trebor
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Congrats to them.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby himc15 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:44 am

Nippian93 wrote:Congrats to them.
himc15
Superstar

Postby trebor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:55 am

@luisfonsi, August 4, 2017
What an honor.. most viewed video in history and first video to reach 3 billion views... y EN ESPAÑOL!! Thank you to everybody involved @daddyyankee @zuleykarivera @elasticpeople
Thank you, the fans for celebrating this song with us y gracias Puerto Rico por ser el escenario más hermoso del mundo. Que viva la música latina

(Click on image to view video)

Thank you message from Luis Fonsi
trebor
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:05 pm

ARIA Singles Chart: #1(=) Despacito, @LuisFonsi Feat. @daddy_yankee & @justinbieber [15 weeks]. *twelfth week at #1*
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Washingtonian25 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:34 am

I think next two weeks should be a guaranteed #1 on BB Hot 100
Washingtonian25
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Pop Songs: #1(=) Despacito, @LuisFonsi Feat. @daddy_yankee & @justinbieber [15 weeks]. *fifth week at #1*
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:24 pm

Billboard Hot 100: #1(=) Despacito, @LuisFonsi Feat. @daddy_yankee & @justinbieber [30 weeks]. *thirteenth week at #1*
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby MusicLover88 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Sh!t is getting real :lol:
Unlike other things that wither, she preserves. She’s a constant in a world of relentless flux. She’s a beacon of immortality. Bitch, she’s Madonna.
MusicLover88
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 pm

^^

Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee's "Despacito," featuring Justin Bieber, now owns the longest reign atop the Billboard Hot 100 in 2017, clocking a lucky 13th consecutive week at No. 1 on the chart dated Aug. 19. The stretch surpasses the 12-week rule of Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You" in January through April.

"Despacito" also sets a second longevity mark this week, becoming the first song to record 14 weeks at No. 1 on the Digital Song Sales chart.

With its latest frame, "Despacito" (released on Universal Music Latino / Raymond Braun / SchoolBoy / Def Jam / UMLE / Republic Records), becomes one of just 11 songs to have topped the Hot 100 for at least 13 weeks, dating to the chart's Aug. 4, 1958, inception. No song has led longer since Mark Ronson's "Uptown Funk!," featuring Bruno Mars, dominated for 14 weeks in 2015. That track and six others are second only to Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men's "One Sweet Day,” which spent an unprecedented 16 weeks atop the chart in 1995-96.

While “Despacito” is three weeks from equaling the all-time mark of “One Sweet Day,” it also moves within one week of tying the record for the most weeks at No. 1 by a primarily non-English language song. As noted above, Los Del Rio's "Macarena” controlled the chart for 14 weeks in 1996 thanks to the popularity of its Bayside Boys remix.

As "Despacito" continues to dominate, the song rewrites the No. 1 record on the Digital Song Sales chart with a 14th week atop the list since the chart’s arrival on Oct. 30, 2004. The song sells 84,000 downloads (down 17 percent) in the week ending August 3, according to Nielsen Music.

The 14th frame atop Digital Song Sales eclipses the previous chart record of 13 shared by three songs: Flo Rida’s “Low” feat. T-Pain (2007-2008), “Uptown Funk!” (2015) and The Chainsmokers’ “Closer,” featuring Halsey (2016).

On the Streaming Songs chart, "Despacito" leads for a 13th week, with 49.8 million U.S. streams (down 6 percent) in the week ending August 3. The track again tops all three of the Hot 100's main component charts, as it leads the all-format Radio Songs chart for a fifth week with 141 million in all-format airplay audience (down 1 percent) in the week ending August 6.

The “Despacito” triple crown of No. 1 ranks on Radio Songs, Digital Song Sales and Streaming Songs for a fifth week in a row is the longest consecutive stretch since “Closer” topped each list for six straight frames in October – November last year.

"Despacito" also captures a 27th week atop the Hot Latin Songs chart and extends its reign on the Songs of the Summer survey to 10 weeks, having led the latter list each week since its annual return just after Memorial Day.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... les-record
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Spotify WW: #2(-1) Despacito (Remix), @LuisFonsi Feat. @daddy_yankee & @justinbieber 30,739,322 [691,374,297 total]. *peak: #1 for 14 weeks*

US digital sales: #1 Despacito, @LuisFonsi Feat. @daddy_yankee & @justinbieber 84,465 (1,994,199 total).
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Luis Fonsi will perform on Good Morning America on August 16. That means 15th week at #1 secured. I'm sure the label will discount it with a possible performance on VMA's to break Mariah's record.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Rihab » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:03 am

spiritboy wrote:Luis Fonsi will perform on Good Morning America on August 16. That means 15th week at #1 secured. I'm sure the label will discount it with a possible performance on VMA's to break Mariah's record.
Yeah, 15 weeks at #1 should be secured with the GMA performance, but he still needs 2 more weeks at No.1 AFTER that in order to break Mariah's record and not only tie it. I don't think it'll happen anymore.

Despacito is decreasing pretty fast now, while Wild Thoughts is perfectly stable and Unforgettable is coming hard. And chances are one of the big names (JT, Taylor) will drop their new lead at the VMAs.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Uniquesensation » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:15 am

That's amazing!!!!. :D
Despacito is still #1 on Itunes USA and second version is still top 15!
Song is not decreasing fast in the USA, on Spotify the top 5 has similar numbers and Despacito is still doing amazing on Youtube.

The VMAS doesn't have huge ratings anymore and I don't think Taylor and Justin T have the momentum right now..
'I don't want to live forever' is one of the best songs of the year, yet it missed the #1, even with Taylor Swift credited as lead and Justin T's streaming numbers are not that strong.

They need to come out with mega smashes to beat Despacito, cause this song set the bar so high for these mega stars..
"I'll hold you when things go wrong
I'll be with you from dusk till dawn
Baby, I'm right here."
Uniquesensation
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 am

Rihab wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Luis Fonsi will perform on Good Morning America on August 16. That means 15th week at #1 secured. I'm sure the label will discount it with a possible performance on VMA's to break Mariah's record.
Yeah, 15 weeks at #1 should be secured with the GMA performance, but he still needs 2 more weeks at No.1 AFTER that in order to break Mariah's record and not only tie it. I don't think it'll happen anymore.

Despacito is decreasing pretty fast now, while Wild Thoughts is perfectly stable and Unforgettable is coming hard. And chances are one of the big names (JT, Taylor) will drop their new lead at the VMAs.
Don't forget the discount factor. Once they discount the song, i'm sure it'll be back to selling around 100k.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby marcsgirl85 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:29 pm

according to hits daily double the song is now combined downloads/streaming eligible for 70 x Latin platinum for sales of 4,200,000 it's by far the biggest song of the year
"the love of a mothers life is her child/children"
marcsgirl85
Manager

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 pm

Can't believe this will break Mariah's record and eventually turn the Song of the Decade :lol:
BlueScorpion
Manager

Postby Uniquesensation » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 am

With the new discount, it looks like Universal group wants to break the record!! :D

This also could mean that Universal might wait for Despacito to tie or break the record to release music from Taylor and Eminem (Both Universal's artists). This label is super smart and I don't think they will be dumb to sabotage Despacito's chance to become the most popular song of all times on Billboard hot 100. (When only needs 3 weeks to break the record). 8-)

Right now, I only see Justin T's new lead single (A Sony artist) as a real threat for Despacito, cause even if his streaming is weak, Justin is capable of selling 400,000 copies first week + a massive radio deal.
Baby, I'm right here."
Uniquesensation
Manager

Postby Washingtonian25 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 am

I have a bad feeling that "Wild Thoughts" will dethrone it - it's discounted + airplay is rising.
Washingtonian25
Manager

Postby innocenteyes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:30 pm

AUSTRALIA

1 (1) Despacito <P>4

13th week at #1 Down Under and 3rd longest #1 single in Australia, behind Shape of You (15 weeks at #1), Fernando (14 weeks at #1) and tied with Gangsta's Paradise and Hey Jude (both 13 weeks at #1)
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby himc15 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:43 pm

Washingtonian25 wrote:I have a bad feeling that "Wild Thoughts" will dethrone it - it's discounted + airplay is rising.
yes i think it will too,but 14 weeks @ #1 is great tbh

Wild Thought only needs like 3 days to stay ahead of Despacito on Airplay,Sales and also its ahead on Streaming especialy Spotify

i cant look at Youtube that much coz that 20+ mln views per day its for the whole world and im sure most views are coming from Spanish language countries and not US
himc15
Superstar

Postby Uniquesensation » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm

It might dethrone it, but I hope it's after this ties, or breaks the record.
Today Despacito gained on Spotify/ Vevo and is still above Wild thoughts on itunes. Second version of WT is free falling, down to #42, while second version of Despacito is almost top 10.
Plus, Despacito gained again on pop radio and it's dropping very slowly.
Despacito still has Good Morning America too.
Baby, I'm right here."
Uniquesensation
Manager

Postby himc15 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm

yes,yes to all that @Unique

but thats for like right now,who knows what will happen tomrw and after the VMA?

i was thinking after the discount the song wouldve take off again but its slow,coz i think most people already has the song and its been played on Radio non stop and spotify, so that makes sence that its slowing down

im happy with 14 weeks tbh,3weeks more from now its really imposible man,but who knows,maybe it will,but i dont see that happening
himc15
Superstar

Postby Uniquesensation » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:18 pm

No worries! The Vmas had a minimum effect last year.
The ratings are not high anymore and only artists like Shawn Mendes benefit the most.
And Despacito original is almost top 10 again.(Was in the 30s)
Wild thoughts is having a big boost cause it's promoted on the hot tracks, while Despacito is not.
So,the discount is giving the Spanish version a second life.
Baby, I'm right here."
Uniquesensation
Manager

Postby alestevens » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:53 am

himc15 wrote:
Washingtonian25 wrote:I have a bad feeling that "Wild Thoughts" will dethrone it - it's discounted + airplay is rising.
yes i think it will too,but 14 weeks @ #1 is great tbh

Wild Thought only needs like 3 days to stay ahead of Despacito on Airplay,Sales and also its ahead on Streaming especialy Spotify

i cant look at Youtube that much coz that 20+ mln views per day its for the whole world and im sure most views are coming from Spanish language countries and not US
We have an US Youtube chart tho. Latest daily #s were

1. Despacito = 3,293,934
2. Bodak Yellow = 2,315,958
5. Wild Thoughs = 1,393,041

US Spotify (daily):

1. Bank Account = 1,184,068
4. Wild Thoughs = 1,079,250
5. Despacito Remix = 1,020,050
77. Despacito Original = 290,093

US iTunes (combined):
Despacito = 1.2144
What About Us = 1.0581
Wild Thoughts = 1.0569

So still #1 on Youtube, Spotify and iTunes, basically!

EDIT: Universal is not Taylor's label, they're just in charge of distribution. Her music will come out whenever Taylor herself and Big Machine Records feel like putting it out!
alestevens
Roadie

Return to Artist Chart Analysis