Mariah Carey :: The "Caution" Era

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

 

Postby crybaby26 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am

MrDash wrote:Caution worldwide streaming : Spotify

12/05/2018
9,089,407 - +70,502 - GTFO
6,024,148 - +53,177 - With You
2,984,163 - +88,731 - Caution
4,050,052 - +85,576 - A No No
4,136,318 - +49,287 - The Distance
1,333,247 - +32,488 - Giving Me Life
1,077,070 - +26,543 - One Mo' Gen
1,130,277 - +28,566 - 8th Grade
1,108,301 - +26,907 - Stay Long Love You
937,069 - +21,916 - Portrait
=31,870,052 - +483,693
The streams seem to be consistent, wish it can become bigger
ooooh shots of Remy playin' confessions and our bodies blendin'
User avatar
crybaby26
Manager
 
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Eamon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:12 am

Ewokguy15 wrote:
Eamon wrote:
brainmaniac wrote:this is probably the biggest ever flop by major diva
Nope. This is Mariah’s 15th studio album after a 28 year career with more success than most other women ever. So no one beyond a few stans of other flopping, much younger and less successful “divas” expected anything from Caution. :wink:
It doesn’t matter if you’re 1 year or 28 years in your career, maybe instead of jumping to the defensive (like you always do) actually answer what brainmaniac wrote, advise him/her which big diva has had a bigger flop era.
Um no. The liklihood is that if you flop with your first album, you certainly won't have a music career that spans almost 30 years. No one is disputing that Caution is a flop. Every fan is dissapointed and would love to see Mariah do better. All music legends aren't selling what they once did. Barbara Streisand's latest album didn't make the BB 200 Top 10 but I don't see you trolling her topic.

This album was never going to light up the charts when she couldn't get airplay on big formats to get her music heard. There was no worldwide promotion so what do you expect? Massive sales based on her name alone which was never going to happen when she hasn't promoted any music outside of the US since 2009.

It's the same few Christina Aguilera fans that are constantly roaring about what a flop this, biggest flop by a major diva blah, blah, blah. Like I said to you before, I am trying extremely hard to remain respectful of everyone and not to read down your fave and her success or lack thereof, for the majority of her career. You should try show similar restraint especially when you're in a glasshouse and shouldn't throw stones.
User avatar
Eamon
Legend
 
Posts: 21540
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009

Postby Bad_Bobby2009 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:59 am

I still can't believe that there's no single dance remix from the Caution era. She could easily snatch another Billboard #1 on the Dance/Club charts. Her previous dance remixes used to slay...
Bad_Bobby2009
Roadie
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012

Postby FrancoisWong » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:04 pm

^^that few trolls are worse than broken record.. keep repeating the same old things.. keep trying and stay pressed.. lmao..
#CAUTION
#GIVINGMELIFE
FrancoisWong
Groupie
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014

Postby spiritboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Bad_Bobby2009 wrote:I still can't believe that there's no single dance remix from the Caution era. She could easily snatch another Billboard #1 on the Dance/Club charts. Her previous dance remixes used to slay...
They are the most useless charts ever though :lol:
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
User avatar
spiritboy
Legend
 
Posts: 24490
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004
Location: Turkey

Postby Bad_Bobby2009 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:55 pm

spiritboy wrote:
Bad_Bobby2009 wrote:I still can't believe that there's no single dance remix from the Caution era. She could easily snatch another Billboard #1 on the Dance/Club charts. Her previous dance remixes used to slay...
They are the most useless charts ever though :lol:
I think the Holiday charts are even most useless, but everyone is pointing them out. To have a club hit is not that bad at all.
Bad_Bobby2009
Roadie
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012

Postby nympho » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Bad_Bobby2009 wrote:
spiritboy wrote:
Bad_Bobby2009 wrote:I still can't believe that there's no single dance remix from the Caution era. She could easily snatch another Billboard #1 on the Dance/Club charts. Her previous dance remixes used to slay...
They are the most useless charts ever though :lol:
I think the Holiday charts are even most useless, but everyone is pointing them out. To have a club hit is not that bad at all.
Holiday charts reflects sales, streaming and airplay.
There are dozens of holiday songs right now on Spotify 200 and iTunes Charts...
How are they “useless”?

Dance Club chart, on the other hand, is based on what a handful DJs across the country say the play... not on what people buy or stream and those charts are full of songs that sell barely zero copies and completely unknown to general public.

Back in the day, Dance Club Play had some credibility...It’s a joke chart now.
Billboard Dance/Electronic Songs really shows the popular dance songs that people buy and stream.

Back to Caution, please.
User avatar
nympho
Superstar
 
Posts: 8786
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008

Postby Colombia71345 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:50 pm

158 +2
MARIAH CAREY
With You
10.613 +0.042

Hang in there babe :p
User avatar
Colombia71345
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014

Postby nympho » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:43 pm

PORTUGAL
22 (New) Caution
User avatar
nympho
Superstar
 
Posts: 8786
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008

Postby Bad_Bobby2009 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:48 pm

nympho wrote:
Bad_Bobby2009 wrote:
spiritboy wrote:
Bad_Bobby2009 wrote:I still can't believe that there's no single dance remix from the Caution era. She could easily snatch another Billboard #1 on the Dance/Club charts. Her previous dance remixes used to slay...
They are the most useless charts ever though :lol:
I think the Holiday charts are even most useless, but everyone is pointing them out. To have a club hit is not that bad at all.
Holiday charts reflects sales, streaming and airplay.
There are dozens of holiday songs right now on Spotify 200 and iTunes Charts...
How are they “useless”?

Dance Club chart, on the other hand, is based on what a handful DJs across the country say the play... not on what people buy or stream and those charts are full of songs that sell barely zero copies and completely unknown to general public.

Back in the day, Dance Club Play had some credibility...It’s a joke chart now.
Billboard Dance/Electronic Songs really shows the popular dance songs that people buy and stream.

Back to Caution, please.
A big No No to a chart that pops out of the blue for just like one or two months of the year. The whole Dance/Electronic/Club charts, like any other genre charts, shows what's hot and what's not during the whole year. And that's much more relevant to me.
I'm a big fan of Mariah's dance bangers and remixes that were slaying the Dance charts not a long time ago. And I'm still hoping for some good remixes of the Caution singles.
Bad_Bobby2009
Roadie
 
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012

Postby GetBack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:42 am

spiritboy wrote:Mariah shouldn't release music close to Christmas period because her new music will always be overshadowed by her Christmas album and songs. She didn't benefit from Q4 sales as well so she'd at least get better peaks with a Q1-Q2 release date.
I totally agree. She should release an album during 1st or 2nd quarter at the latest.
User avatar
GetBack
Legend
 
Posts: 30795
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010

Postby CasualFlow » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:55 am

"WITH YOU" Mediabase Update

Hot AC:
36 32 MARIAH CAREY With You 356 319 +37 0.520

+7 Spins
+10 Bullet
-0.001 Audience

Adult Contemporary:
22 21 MARIAH CAREY With You 182 167 +15 1.046

+5 Spins
+12 Bullet
+0.002 Audience

Urban AC:
12 10 MARIAH CAREY With You 1276 1176 +100 8.252

+30 Spins
+53 Bullet
+0.015 Audience
User avatar
CasualFlow
Legend
 
Posts: 11304
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012
Location: USA

Postby bm08 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:08 am

nympho wrote:PORTUGAL
22 (New) Caution
Why is it debuting so late in Portugal? :lol:
User avatar
bm08
Moderator - Mariah Carey Topic
 
Posts: 10702
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013

Postby nympho » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:10 am

bm08 wrote:
nympho wrote:PORTUGAL
22 (New) Caution
Why is it debuting so late in Portugal? :lol:
It’s last week position.
It’s out of chart this week.

But they updated the website with last two weeks’ charts yesterday.
User avatar
nympho
Superstar
 
Posts: 8786
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008

Postby MrDash » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:34 am

Caution worldwide streaming : Spotify

12/06/2018
9,155,175 - +65,768 - GTFO
6,073,523 - +49,375 - With You
3,066,234 - +82,071 - Caution
4,122,976 - +72,924 - A No No
4,179,614 - +43,296 - The Distance
1,361,593 - +28,346 - Giving Me Life
1,100,161 - +23,091 - One Mo' Gen
1,155,012 - +24,735 - 8th Grade
1,132,042 - +23,741 - Stay Long Love You
955,976 - +18,907 - Portrait
=32,302,306 - +432,254
She was kinda fragile and she had a lot to grapple with, but basically she kept it all inside ...
User avatar
MrDash
Groupie
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018

Postby cinderellaboy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 pm

MrDash wrote:Caution worldwide streaming : Spotify

12/06/2018
9,155,175 - +65,768 - GTFO
6,073,523 - +49,375 - With You
3,066,234 - +82,071 - Caution
4,122,976 - +72,924 - A No No
4,179,614 - +43,296 - The Distance
1,361,593 - +28,346 - Giving Me Life
1,100,161 - +23,091 - One Mo' Gen
1,155,012 - +24,735 - 8th Grade
1,132,042 - +23,741 - Stay Long Love You
955,976 - +18,907 - Portrait
=32,302,306 - +432,254
Top 3
Caution
A No No
GTFO
I love music!
User avatar
cinderellaboy
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009

Postby markwalde » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:11 pm

GetBack wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Mariah shouldn't release music close to Christmas period because her new music will always be overshadowed by her Christmas album and songs. She didn't benefit from Q4 sales as well so she'd at least get better peaks with a Q1-Q2 release date.
I totally agree. She should release an album during 1st or 2nd quarter at the latest.
I was thinking though, with all the attention on AIWFCIY, nobody is reporting Caution’s low sales. They knew These would be the numbers for her. It might have been a good idea to release it just before she gets a yearly (predictable) hit.
markwalde
Groupie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018

Postby bm08 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Caution moved 14,000 units last week.

Mariah Carey's 'Merry Christmas' Replaces Her Own 'Caution' at No. 1 On Top R&B Albums Chart

Mariah Carey becomes the first artist to replace herself at No. 1 on the Top R&B Albums chart since its inception in 2012. The diva’s Merry Christmas leaps 4-1 on the ranking dated Dec. 8 and deposes her own LP, Caution, which slips 1-8 in its second week.

Christmas, released in 1994, earned 24,000 equivalent album units in the week ending Nov. 29, according to Nielsen Music, while Caution netted 14,000 units.

As Christmas ascends, Carey collects her third leader on the chart, following Me. I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse, a one-week champ in 2014 and Caution.

In addition to its Top R&B Albums coronation, Christmas also rallies 24-9 on Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and 50-19 on the Billboard 200.

Nearly 25 years after its debut, Christmas consistently remains one of the top performing holiday albums each year, with its success largely traceable to “All I Want for Christmas Is You,” virtually a modern standard in the holiday catalog.

“All I Want” also makes its annual return to several Billboard charts, including a 29-14 surge on the Billboard Hot 100 and a 30-8 roar on Streaming Songs. The tune also inaugurates this year’s first edition of the seasonal Holiday 100 chart in a familiar spot -- No. 1 -- for its 31st week overall.
User avatar
bm08
Moderator - Mariah Carey Topic
 
Posts: 10702
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013

Postby Wayne » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Wow, that’s actually a decent second week when you consider what most of the vets decline to these days - clearly, the ticket bundles weren’t as prominent (or are more prominent in second week).
User avatar
Wayne
Administrator
 
Posts: 52700
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006
Location: United Kingdom

Postby babyshower » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:48 pm

brainmaniac wrote:this is probably the biggest ever flop by major diva
Pretty much, I think. I cannot even picture Madonna or Celine Dion (divas often compared to Mariah Carey) having these dismal numbers. Unlike Mariah, at least they have a strong fan base in places such as Canada, Latin America and Mainland Europe. It's not only the lack of decent peaks (Me I am Mariah, released in Q2 back in 2014 didn't even chart in the top 10 in most countries, including Japan), it's also the lack of sales. I doubt this will reach 100k any time soon.
babyshower
Groupie
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017

Postby stevyy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm

babyshower wrote:
brainmaniac wrote:this is probably the biggest ever flop by major diva
Pretty much, I think. I cannot even picture Madonna or Celine Dion (divas often compared to Mariah Carey) having these dismal numbers. Unlike Mariah, at least they have a strong fan base in places such as Canada, Latin America and Mainland Europe. It's not only the lack of decent peaks (Me I am Mariah, released in Q2 back in 2014 didn't even chart in the top 10 in most countries, including Japan), it's also the lack of sales. I doubt this will reach 100k any time soon.
it already has. (WW).
User avatar
stevyy
Legend
 
Posts: 51952
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005
Location: .dk

Postby nympho » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Wayne wrote:Wow, that’s actually a decent second week when you consider what most of the vets decline to these days - clearly, the ticket bundles weren’t as prominent (or are more prominent in second week).
Indeed!

Only a 72,5% drop...
The new normal is around 80%... and we usually see divas with 85-90% fall.

So better than expected.
It should stay in BB200 a 3rd week.
User avatar
nympho
Superstar
 
Posts: 8786
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008

Postby CasualFlow » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Do we know its position in the Top 200 yet?
User avatar
CasualFlow
Legend
 
Posts: 11304
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012
Location: USA

Postby nympho » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:36 pm

CasualFlow wrote:Do we know its position in the Top 200 yet?
No. :lol:

3 days later, and Billboard is still figuring out how to solve the 6ix9ine vs. Travis Scott mess.
User avatar
nympho
Superstar
 
Posts: 8786
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008

Postby Eamon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:42 pm

The second weeks sales were decent. I think it proves that the promotion she did across tv and radio during release week helped to get the message out that she had a new album and stabilize sales a bit even if it was simply to get some ticket bundle redemptions.
User avatar
Eamon
Legend
 
Posts: 21540
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009

Return to Artist Chart Analysis