ABBA :: Charts & Sales History

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho, stevyy

Postby zeus555 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Today The OCC, (Official UK Charts Company), revealed this information about the UK Sales, of the DVD/Blu-ray
of the first 'Mamma Mia!' Film:

"The first Mamma Mia! movie is officially the biggest selling DVD/Blu-ray of all time, with 5,780,000 Million sold."

Zeus555
zeus555
Superstar

Postby LostAvenger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 pm

zeus555 wrote:Today The OCC, (Official UK Charts Company), revealed this information about the UK Sales, of the DVD/Blu-ray

"The first Mamma Mia! movie is officially the biggest selling DVD/Blu-ray of all time, with 5,780,000 Million sold."

Zeus555
HUGE! How long have the OCC been tracking the disc sales? A massive number for any format though.
LostAvenger
Legend

Postby thebigham » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:47 pm

7/14 Billboard 200:

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/ ... first-time

Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Ella Mai's 'Ready' Hits Top 40 for First Time
By Keith Caulfield | July 12, 2018 5:06 PM EDT

— ABBA, Gold – Greatest Hits – No. 170 — As interest in the new ABBA-inspired film Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again increases, the pop group’s classic greatest-hits album jumps back onto the list at No. 170. The new film is a sequel to the 2008 movie Mamma Mia! Both films were inspired by ABBA's catalog of songs, and the first film adapted the long-running stage musical of the same name.
thebigham
Legend

Postby playaguy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:47 am

LostAvenger wrote:
zeus555 wrote:Today The OCC, (Official UK Charts Company), revealed this information about the UK Sales, of the DVD/Blu-ray

Zeus555
HUGE! How long have the OCC been tracking the disc sales? A massive number for any format though.
From it's first day of release, it's sales on the first day alone were over 1.6 million copies in the UK.
playaguy
Groupie

Postby LostAvenger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 am

I meant in general. Though I imagine DVD sales were probably only tracked since the turn of the century.
LostAvenger
Legend

Postby zeus555 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:29 am

In November 2008 the 'Mamma Mia!' 1' DVD was released Worldwide.

Its UK Sales were just under 1,670,000 on Day 1. Just under 3,200,000 in Week 1, and well over 5 Million by the end of 2008.
From 2008 to now it has sold over 5,780,000 UK copies, as The OCC said on Thursday 12th July.

Its USA Sales were over 2,250,000 on Day 1.

It is Sweden's biggest ever DVD, with around 600,000 Sales there.

Its Global Sales must be at least 15 Million...

Zeus555
zeus555
Superstar

Postby Benny » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 am

Album: Mamma Mia Here We Go Again

iTunes:

#1 Argentina
#1 Austria
#1 Brazil
#1 Chile
#1 Costa Rica
#1 Cyprus
#1 Denmark
#1 Greece
#1 Hungary
#1 Ireland
#1 Norway
#1 Slovakia
#1 Sweden
#2 Czech Republic
#2 Finland
#2 India
#2 Indonesia
#2 Mexico
#2 Mongolia
#2 Netherlands
#2 New Zealand
#2 Poland
#2 Spain
#3 United Kingdom
#3 Australia
#3 Germany
#4 Israel
#4 Switzerland
#5 United States
#5 Canada
#5 Hong Kong
#5 Thailand
#6 Portugal
#7 Belgium
#7 Italy
#9 Singapore
#10 Turkey
#11 Malta
#20 France
#24 South Africa
#26 Russia
#48 Macau
#50 El Salvador
Benny
Legend

Postby zeus555 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:54 am

Benny - Yes, the Film Soundtrack is doing very well.

However, we have to remember that the Film has yet to be released in most Countries.

The Soundtrack should do even better when the Film is being shown all over the World.

I listened to the Film Soundtrack last night.

I was delighted to find that I liked it far more than I expected to.

The arrangements of several Songs have been changed and so have the lyrics.

I was pleased that Benny & Bjorn still realise that backing vocals are essential on many ABBA Songs.

The backing vocals work very well indeed on 'Knowing Me, Knowing You'. From what I recall, it is the only
Song on the CD where Pierce Brosnan has a part on his own. But, other people also have their own parts
in the Song, so Pierce's 'part' never gets the chance to ruin things. (I'm pleased that Dominic Cooper also
only has a lead vocal on 'One Of Us', as he cannot sing, either...).

Sadly, one of my favourite ABBA Songs is spoiled a bit. They have let an absolutely awful Male 'Singer' do
the 1st Verse and he is terrible. It is 'Kisses Of Fire'. Luckily, the rest of the Song is dominated by Female
vocals and they just about save it. But why Benny & Bjorn allowed the fellow to 'sing' any of it is a great
mystery. He is by far the worst 'singer' in the entire Film!!!

I was enchanted by Meryl Streep's 'The Day Before You Came'. Instead of being Synth driven, like ABBA's
original, it is now piano driven, and it is truly lovely and engaging. Instead of saying that she watches a lot
of 'Dallas', Meryl says that she watches all of the Episodes of 'House Of Cards'.

I am disappointed by 'Waterloo' as Hugh Skinner's voice irritates me. Also, I think that 'Dancing Queen' is not
as strong as it was in Film 1. It seems to be a little bit slower, and to lack some energy. 'Angel Eyes' also seems
to be less strong & energetic than ABBA's original. It just seems a little weak...

Zeus555
zeus555
Superstar

Postby petrodav1452 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Watch Out!!

Benny and Bjorn, stated recently. in an interview, while promoting The Movie Mamma Mia, (Here we go again!)

"We did not find a few songs good enough!"

Which?

Björn Ulvaeus (smiles): We will not reveal that. They are from the beginning of our career. We did not have enough time in the studio to make them as good as they should have been.

What was the absolute worst ABBA song?

Benny Andersson: There are a few worst and there are a few best ones. I would say the worst is "Watch Out". :o

Björn Ulvaeus: That's right. That's why he is not in the movie.

also they was asked:

Is there a chance that the group will reunite?

Benny Andersson: No, that will not happen.

Björn Ulvaeus: Which does not mean that we would not write a few songs again :D .

But were not you all back together in the studio?

Björn Ulvaeus: Yes, last year in June. Benny and I are working on this avatar project. Some of our virtual characters sing some new songs. Benny wrote her.

Benny Andersson: We called the girls and they said "Yes, no problem". So it happened that we spent two days with them in the
studio.
Maybe Bjorn is up for writing a New ABBA Album could be a possibility in the near future.

As for the comment for the song 'Watch Out' I disagree, i really like the song, the girls vocals and the rock vibe! I prefer it over 'Waterloo'
oooh La la la laa....
petrodav1452
Roadie

Postby petrodav1452 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi Zeus,

Had quick listen to some snippets of the songs, on 'Amazon' from the New MM Soundtrack, and I too think they are rather good, and i am loving the New arrangements to the songs also.

And a quick comparison of 'Dancing Queen' from both Soundtracks, One & Two and yes The first version sounds more up tempo and closer to the ABBA original.

I am happy though, with the songs that have been repeated from the first Film, being a little different in arrangment. I like them all, what i have heard so far, apart from the male vocals on Waterloo, but that's only a minor distraction, like part of the changed lyrics to 'When I Kissed The Teacher' 'one of these days' now being 'one mad day'

So looking forward to Saturday evening, when I am going to purchase the MP3 Albums of both Soundtracks chill out with some wine and listen to both Albums in full for the first time.

There are 4 ABBA related Albums Currently in the iTunes Worldwide Albums download sales Chart

Worldwide iTunes Album Chart - 2018/07/12

Pos

24 +1 ABBA - ABBA Gold

32 -2 ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits

38 NEW - Cast Of “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”

45 -3 Various Artists - Mamma Mia
petrodav1452
Roadie

Postby Benny » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:21 pm

UK charts analysis by Alan Jones:

"The ensemble soundtrack to Mamma Mia!: Here We Go Again was released on Friday (July 13), and is certain to make a huge first week impact after a vigorous publicity campaign, the effectiveness of which can be judged by the recent upsurge in demand for its predecessor, Mamma Mia!, which debuted atop the compilation chart on release in 2008. Its eligibility was switched to the artist album chart only seven weeks ago, and it achieved its highest position thus far on that chart last frame, when it climbed 52-41. With consumption up for the 10th time in 11 weeks, it improves on that again this week, jumping to No.17 (2,928 sales). Abba’s Gold: Greatest Hits set is likely to see a beneficial spin-off effect, and moves 24-23 (2,710 sales) this week on its 11th consecutive appearance in the Top 40 – already its longest run since 2009."
Benny
Legend

Postby Nameless » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:54 am

Meryl Steep's version of The Day Before You Came is dull. It's not her vocals but the nature of the song. I can't see 5 or 6 minutes of this in Mamma Mia 2.

I Wonder was on Greatest Hits Vol 2, More Gold and now Mamma Mia 2. Clearly Benny and Bjorn like this more than the fans do.

Equally, they don't like Summer Night City. It was not on Gold or either of the 2 Mamma Mia films.

Given the Greek Island setting it could have been re-named Summer Beach Party without too much change to the lyrics eg scattered driftwood on the beach .
Nameless
Roadie

Postby petrodav1452 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Currently in the Charts

European iTunes Album Chart - 2018/07/13

2 -NEW - Cast Of “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”

Worldwide iTunes Album Chart - 2018/07/13

2 +36 Cast Of “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”
petrodav1452
Roadie

Postby Benny » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:45 pm

petrodav1452 wrote:European iTunes Album Chart - 2018/07/13

2 -NEW - Cast Of “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”
+
23 +34 ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits
32 +1 ABBA - ABBA Gold
It would be at #11 if both versions were combined.

petrodav1452 wrote:Worldwide iTunes Album Chart - 2018/07/13

2 +36 Cast Of “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”
+
29 +3 ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits
30 -6 ABBA - ABBA Gold
It would be at #9 if both versions were combined.
Benny
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:52 pm

US BUILDING ALBUM SALES CHART

-- 32 ABBA GREATEST HITS CAPITOL 3,010 --

http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart
Benny
Legend

Postby zeus555 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Benny and Nameless -- I know that neither of you think very much about Meryl Streep's version of 'The Day Before You Came'.
I hated the ABBA original, in 1982, but now I like it. I instantly like Meryl Streep's version. Looking around The Internet, I see
Meryl's version getting a lot of praise. As usual with ABBA Songs, some people like and some people hate. Some call Meryl's
version 'Haunting', and others call it 'Boring'. At the end of the day, it is all a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Meryl's version is Track 18 on the Soundtrack CD. However, I have heard that the Song is not sung in the Film. If it is not in
the Film, then this is likely to mean that Meryl Streep is only a 'Flashback' character in the Film. That she has 'Died'. The New
arrangement of 'The Day Before You Came' would then be her 'Haunting Goodbye' Song, on the CD. We will see.

THE SOUNDTRACK CD -- For some reason, Benny and Bjorn are always very unsure about how 'Good' or 'Bad' ABBA's
Non-Singles Tracks are. I think that is why they were too nervous to put totally 'fresh' ABBA Songs on the Soundtrack.
They felt that they had to 'Prop Them Up', with several Singles from the 1st 'Mamma Mia!' Film. They had to use the
Title Single again, as it would be odd if that were not in it. But, was it really necessary to give us these again too?
'I Have A Dream', 'Dancing Queen', 'The Name Of The Game', (on Soundtrack 1, but not in the Film), 'Waterloo',
(in Film 1, but not on Soundtrack 1), and 'Super Trouper'. To be fair - 'Super Trouper' is given a New arrangement
this time. However, I feel that 'Dancing Queen' is not as strong/loud as it was in Film 1. Both the vocals and music
sound less energetic. I know that 'Angel Eyes' is one of the 'Fresh' ABBA Songs in Film 2. However, it seems to lack
the energy and power of ABBA's original. It is weaker...

Some Fans are already saying that Soundtrack 2 is 'Disappointing', due to it having several Songs from the 1st
Film. Whereas other Fans are complaining that they wanted more Songs from the 1st Film in Film/Soundtrack 2,
because they 'Don't know' several of the 'New' Songs! As usual, Benny and Bjorn cannot win. ABBA Fans tend to
want different things. Some want Songs that they already know and others want more 'New'/'Fresh' Songs...

I know that Benny and Bjorn love 'I Wonder (Departure)'. Like a lot of ABBA Fans I've never been terribly keen on
it. However, I rather like the 'New' version in Film 2. I'm sure that a lot of ABBA Fans could/would have chosen
several other 'Lesser Known ABBA Songs' for Film 2. I've always loved, 'Tiger', Move On', 'Hole In Your Soul',
'As Good As New', and 'If It Wasn't For The Nights'. However, I bet Benny and Bjorn would gave many reasons
why none of my choices were good enough for Film 2. That goes for any 'New' Songs that other ABBA Fans
might have chosen.

I've heard that Cher has already said that a 'Mamma Mia! 3' has been discussed. However, I think that the
2 'Mamma Mia!' Films are enough. If they made a 3rd Film, Benny and Bjorn would only use some ABBA
Songs from Films 1 and 2 again, and it would only look like they're forever trying to get cash out of Fans of
'Mamma Mia!' and ABBA, by re-using the same ABBA Songs time and time again. You can only get away
with using the same old Songs for so long - then people turn on you, and stop buying the Soundtracks,
and stop going to see the Films. I do hope that Benny and Bjorn realise this.

Benny and Bjorn do make mistakes - as can be seen and heard by them letting that 'Buffoon' have the 1st
30 seconds on 'Kisses Of Fire', in Film 2! The Female vocals are fine on it - and they should have been used
for the entire Song. But, Benny and Bjorn just had to let the imbecile 'Sing', at the start of it!

The Soundtrack is currently No.2 in the Global & European iTunes Album Charts. It is at No.6 in the UK iTunes
Chart - down from No.3 yesterday. However, we have to remember that the Film is not yet out in the UK and
most other Countries. It has its 'World Premiere', in London on Monday - 16th - and it is released in most of
the World - including the UK - next Friday - 20th July. That is when the Soundtrack's Sales will rise much more.
Due to people seeing the Film and all of the Media publicity etc.

I doubt if 'ABBA Gold' will get to No.1 again, as it did due to the 2008 Film. It has sold well over 5,300,000 to
5,400,000 UK copies, and there are not so many people, (who like ABBA), left to buy it. It may or may not get
back into the UK Top 10. We will see. (If the 1st Film Soundtrack had been allowed into the UK Artist Album
Chart in 2008, 'ABBA Gold' would not have been able to return to No.1. It would have got no higher than No.2).

Zeus555
zeus555
Superstar

Postby Nameless » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Zeus555 - You say there shouldn't be another MM film as ut would be the 'same old songs'. Well, that doesn't stop Benny/Bjorn/Universal with all those compilations.

The Day Before You Came is so dull that's why it's not in the film or on the CD.

It's only popular with a very small minority. Its download sales, youtube and spotify streams are less than impressive.
It has limited appeal for the millions of ABBA fans let alone the wider public.

I haven't seen any adverts for Mamma Mia - Here We Go Again.
Nameless
Roadie

Postby Benny » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:00 pm

For the second film, B & B had to find a balance between ABBA songs the general public knows (= the songs from 'ABBA Gold' = most of the songs that were used in the first movie) and songs only ABBA fans know (= album tracks, the songs from 'More ABBA Gold'). I think they did a good job with finding that balance.

The trailers to 'MM 2' feature mostly well-known songs that were already in the first film, and that is necessary so that millions of people recognise them, reminisce about the first film and become interested in watching the sequel.

If 'MM2' only contained less-known songs like 'Angeleyes', 'Kisses of Fire', 'Andante Andante' etc., then only hardcore ABBA fans would be interested in seeing the movie. The general public would ignore it.
Benny
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:13 am

Worldwide iTunes Album Chart - 2018/07/14

1 +1 Cast Of “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”
24 +5 ABBA - Gold: Greatest Hits
26 +4 ABBA - ABBA Gold

'ABBA Gold' would be at #7 if the 2 versions were combined.
Benny
Legend

Postby petrodav1452 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:21 am

Benny wrote:Worldwide iTunes Album Chart - 2018/07/14

1 +1 Cast Of “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again”
26 +4 ABBA - ABBA Gold

'ABBA Gold' would be at #7 if the 2 versions were combined.
'MAMMA MIA'!!!

Great achievement on iTunes: Number One Worldwide, and before the Film release too.. 8-)

And ABBA GOLD has another! boost in Sales Worldwide.. don't understand why we have two versions of Gold if they both contain the same songs..
petrodav1452
Roadie

Postby trebor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:06 am

@Zeus & @Benny
I know that this must have been asked at some point already. (Couldn't find a conversation regarding it)
But what is the difference between these two sets?:

26 +4 ABBA - ABBA Gold
trebor
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:10 am

Gold: Greatest Hits probably refers to the 2014 3 CD release of Gold, which includes ABBA Gold, More ABBA Gold and a 3rd CD of B Sides.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:18 am

innocenteyes wrote:Gold: Greatest Hits probably refers to the 2014 3 CD release of Gold, which includes ABBA Gold, More ABBA Gold and a 3rd CD of B Sides.
Yes, 'Gold: Greatest Hits' is the 40th Anniversary Edition.
Benny
Legend

Postby trebor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 am

^ & ^^
I understand! Thank you both! :D
Was confused as it seems that the US and Europe use different denominations for the same album.
trebor
Legend

Return to Artist Chart Analysis