ABBA :: Charts & Sales History

Moderators: kingofskiffle, arab, AutomaticBR, stevyy

Postby Benny » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 pm

HUR, it's quite difficult to do a total singles sales per country, I could only do so for the UK or Germany. Estimating album sales is easier IMO.

Stollar, interesting information! Abba were extremely popular in Eastern Europe. I found an article in the Dutch magazine "Hitkrant" from 1978 with similar information to yours:
...the Russians have already started pressing no less than 200.000 ABBA-albums. This will mark the first time that official ABBA-records will be available in Russia. Up till now, the fans – and there are a whole lot of them – had to make do with ‘white’ records.
But it’s not only Russia. Poland, Tsjecho-Slovakia, East Germany, Hungary and Bulgaria are falling for ABBA as well. In all, more than one million ABBA-albums have been sold in those countries in the meantime. For that matter, the goods are not being paid in cash, since the currencies of the Eastern countries aren’t exactly favoured in our area. Therefore, accounts are being settled in oil, cement or canned food.
Benny
Legend

Postby stollar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Benny wrote:HUR, it's quite difficult to do a total singles sales per country, I could only do so for the UK or Germany. Estimating album sales is easier IMO.

Stollar, interesting information! Abba were extremely popular in Eastern Europe. I found an article in the Dutch magazine "Hitkrant" from 1978 with similar information to yours:
...the Russians have already started pressing no less than 200.000 ABBA-albums. This will mark the first time that official ABBA-records will be available in Russia. Up till now, the fans – and there are a whole lot of them – had to make do with ‘white’ records.
But it’s not only Russia. Poland, Tsjecho-Slovakia, East Germany, Hungary and Bulgaria are falling for ABBA as well. In all, more than one million ABBA-albums have been sold in those countries in the meantime. For that matter, the goods are not being paid in cash, since the currencies of the Eastern countries aren’t exactly favoured in our area. Therefore, accounts are being settled in oil, cement or canned food.
Yes they were popular in Eastern Europe,too bad Abba
has a lot of missing sales in those countries(Black market records).
stollar
Roadie

Postby HUR » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Benny wrote:HUR, it's quite difficult to do a total singles sales per country, I could only do so for the UK or Germany. Estimating album sales is easier IMO.
I fully agree here; estimating singles is very difficult, especially in countries where sales numbers (or sales points, in reality) were mixed up with radio and TV airplay, making the charts very difficult to comprehend: that happened in the USA or Belgium, for instance, and perhaps in other territories we don’t know about.

This is how I estimate roughly their physical singles sales in the ten biggest markets. Nothing particularly exact, but probably close to the real numbers or withing what can be believed:

USA – 10,000,000
UK – 10,000,000
Japan – 1,500,000
Germany – 7,000,000
France – 4,500,000
Canada – 750,000
Australia – 2,000,000
Netherlands – 1,500,000
Spain and Italy combined – 1,000,000

Total – 38,250,000

Both the British and German totals are arguably correct. I trust Benny and the OCC here.

After going through their USA's chart histories, I think that 10 million isn’t conservative, it is fine.

Their Oricon sales (Japan) add up to 1,300,000 units sold; so their overall sales will have been 1,500,000 in total.

Not sure about Australia.

And I may be being generous with both Italy and Spain. Whereas the Dutch total looks fine, to me: they had ten number one singles and their four biggest singles totalled to 500,000 plus sales.

In order for Abba to have reached 60,000,000 physical sales worldwide, they would have needed to sell some 22,000,000 copies in the rest of the world –assuming I'm right about the above markets-. They had some great charts stats in countries like Ireland, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, the whole of Scandinavia, South Africa, New Zealand, but I'm not sure how many million we are going to find in those countries. Perhaps not more than 4,000,000 to 6,000,000 combined.

Let's remember that in Asia, for example, singles sales have never been particularly strong for foreign acts (as Japanese sales prove).

Perhaps 60 million is pushing it a bit, but I could be wrong.
HUR
Superstar

Postby Benny » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:37 pm

MJ Dangerous once estimated total singles sales of 52.87 million for the USA + Canada + Australia + Japan + Europe. Add a few million for the rest of the world (Latin America etc.) and the total is 60 million.

As I said, it's really difficult to estimate singles sales for most markets. The UK is very transparent, sales in some countries like Australia, Germany and France can be estimated but that's pretty much it.
Benny
Legend

Postby HUR » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm

Yes, it is true. I even posted it in the previous pages (number 88): http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... start=2175. According to MJDangerous, Abba sold 130 million albums and 60 million physical singles; easily above 200 million records, combining al supports (digital sales and music videos).

Anyway, most of my sales estimations –and, I believe, yours too- are generally more conservative than his, not just for Abba but for all acts.
HUR
Superstar

Postby tino » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:36 am

The thing with accurate German Sales was the same as it is in these days: nobody but a few knows.

Comparing sales or comparing points and then trying to estimate sales with other songs that may had a similar chartrun are only reliable, if the number of sales for each position is quite the same week by week. As we all know, it isn't.

I know, that the official gold certifications began in 1976, so what should we do with all the pre-official certifications? Just ignore it? Believe, that every award given by the record company was a hoax? I don't know, if this case was ever discused here, but it is printed, that both "Waterloo" and "Honey Honey" achieved a gold award. It may be a fake, but it also might be true.

The sales given for "Head over heels" with 30k is far too low, this would be the sales of a number 19-hit with a 12-weeks-appearance in these days, but not then.
tino
Groupie

Postby Benny » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:03 am

tino wrote:Comparing sales or comparing points and then trying to estimate sales with other songs that may had a similar chartrun are only reliable, if the number of sales for each position is quite the same week by week. As we all know, it isn't.
Of course it isn't, but it's the only way to estimate sales.

tino wrote:I know, that the official gold certifications began in 1976, so what should we do with all the pre-official certifications? Just ignore it? Believe, that every award given by the record company was a hoax? I don't know, if this case was ever discused here, but it is printed, that both "Waterloo" and "Honey Honey" achieved a gold award. It may be a fake, but it also might be true.
Before 1976, record companies handed out many silver, golden and platinum discs but for completely different sales figures. There are many articles in old issues of Billboard magazine where it says for example "singer X received gold for 200k copies sold" and then a few years weeks later "singer Y received gold for 500k copies sold". I know that there is a German chart book in which "Waterloo" and "Honey Honey" are both listed with a gold certification but it's not official. Maybe it was just due to their good chart performance.

tino wrote:The sales given for "Head over heels" with 30k is far too low, this would be the sales of a number 19-hit with a 12-weeks-appearance in these days, but not then.
This is the chart run for "Head Over Heels":

I find it harder to estimate sales for lower charting singles than for higher charting singles; sales could also be 50k or 75k etc., to be honest I really don't know.
Benny
Legend

Postby AndiIversen » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:40 am

Swiss albums chart:

Schweizer Hitparade alben top 100:

#33 (lw:#58) Gold- Greatest Hits ABBA 10xPlatin 267 weeks
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby tino » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:14 am

Germany: The Essential Collection up to 16.
tino
Groupie

Postby Benny » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:29 pm

tino wrote:Germany: The Essential Collection up to 16.
+ Gold re-enters at number 34 :D
Benny
Legend

Postby zeus555 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:59 pm

'Gold' jumps from No.63 to No.21 in Austria. It is its 130th Chart Week.

'The Essential Collection' enters at No.53, in Austria.

A LINK TO AN ABBA PARODY SONG.......

The HeeBeeGeeBees consisted of Philip Pope, Angus Deayton, and
Michael Fention Stevens, on vocals, and various people on instruments.

They released 2 Albums. The first of which was called:,

"439 Golden Greats - Never Mind The Originals Here's The Hee Bee Gee Bees"

It consisted of numerous parody Songs, in the style of famous Acts - Bee Gees,
David Bowie, The Police, etc.

Track 11 was an ABBA parody - 'Music Machine', so they called
themselves BABBA for that one, & added some Female vocalists.

'MUSIC MACHINE' - BABBA (1981)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpFQg98e30E

You can find the lyrics here:,

http://lyrics.wikia.com/The_HeeBeeGeeBees:Music_Machine

Zeus555
zeus555
Manager

Postby AndiIversen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:21 am

South Korea:

Gaon International albums chart:

#26 NEW The Visitors (Deluxe Edition) ABBA Universal Music
#44 up6 Mamma Mia! OST Various Universal Music
#45 up79 The Definitive Collection ABBA Universal Music
#49 up73 Best of ABBA ABBA Universal Music
#63 hot ABBA 18 Hits ABBA Universal Music
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby AndiIversen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:25 am

Sweden:

Sverigetopplistan top 60 albums chart:

#58 re-entry ABBA GOLD Greatest Hits ABBA (117 weeks on) 5xPlat. Polar
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:55 am

German Music DVD Charts

15 12 02 ABBA-The essential collection
Benny
Legend

Postby prici900 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Hur/Benny

Single estimations way too low – I have always thought 70 -75 Million is closer to the mark (that is everything up to Abba’s break up in 1982, Let’s look at what we know.

Estimations: I am only looking at the really big hits (Those that I believe have sold a million or more) some of these estimations will be slightly over some will be slightly under but I believe that given the information that we have, that they are as accurate as we can get at present:

Ring Ring – 1+ million - (including the re-issue in 1974/75

Waterloo – 5 million – sold about 800,000 in USA, 417,000 in France,

Honey Honey – 1 million – sold massively in Germany

I do x 5 – 1.5 million (would have sold some 400,000 in the USA)

SOS – 4 million (was big hit in a lot of countries)

Mamma Mia – 3.5 million. -

Fernando – 6+ million - 400,000 in Australia, 602,000 in France,

Dancing queen – 6+ million (this was truly a massive selling single) and sold over 2 Million in the USA and UK alone.

Money, Money, Money - 3.5 Million –(massive in Europe) 550,000 in France, 244,000 in Australia,

Knowing me knowing you – 4 million. 540,000 copies in the USA, 845,000 Copies in the UK.

The name of the game – 3.5+ million. 560,000 copies in the USA, 700,000 in the UK.

Take a chance on me – 4 million – sold nearly two Million between the UK & the USA.

Summer Night City – 1.5 Million (not a big seller by Abba’s standards at this point) 250,000 copies in the UK, 150,000 copies in Sweden.

Chiquitita – 5 million – I stand by the 2.5 million in South & Latin America.

Does your mother Know – 2 million. (Although only a number 19 hit in the USA it still had a longish chart run so would have sold approx. 400,000 there)

Voulez vous – 1.0 million – sold the most copies in the UK

Gimme Gimme Gimme – 2.5 Million. Sold the most copies in France 583,000.

I have a dream – 1.5+ Million big hit in south and Latin America.

The winner takes it all – 3.5 Million (Would have sold about 800,000 to 900,000 in America has it had a long chart life)

Super trouper – 2.5+ Million (about 1.2 million between UK & Germany)

One of Us – 2+ million – Abba’s last really big hit.

= 68.5 MILLION in total

Then you have to add on the sales of the smaller selling singles of which there have been many : People need love,(Sweden and Nordic countries) Another town another train,(Zimbawe) Nina Pretty Ballerina, Hasta Manana,(Italy, New Zealand) So long, ,(World wide release) I’ve been waiting for you, rock me, (Australia/ New Zealand) That’s me,(Japan) Eagle, Thank you for the music,(most of Europe) As good as new,(mexico) Angeleyes,(Europe & USA) On and on and on,(USA and Australia, lay all your love on me, (Europe) Happy new year, Andante Andante (was released in south and Latin America countries at the time) Head over heels,(World wide release) The visitors, (USA) when all is said and done, (USA) The day before you came, (World wide release) Under Attack (World wide release) – these singles may have sold the required 6.5 million between them around the world to bring the total of about 75 Million + and let’s not forget that it was claimed many times in the 1970’s and 1980’s that Abba sold more LP’s than singles. So for both LP’s and Singles Abba easily hit over the 175 Million that I think they have sold by the end of their career as an active group.

If we take an example of say GGG (I like to make things difficult for myself – 480,000 in the UK and in France 583,000, 300,000+ in Germany, 235,000 in Japan = 1,608,000 leaving less than a million for the ROTW to bring it to its estimation of 2.5 million – which is highly plausible as Abba had broken into the South & Latin America markets, it was also a hit in Australia and in most of Europe so as with most things it may have sold 2.63 Million or it may have sold 2.46 Million I have rounded the numbers up or down to half Millions to make the overall estimations easier.

But the devil is in the detail – I accept some of these estimations will be too low, whilst others will be on the high side – but mostly – given the information that we have, they make sense.

Maybe the only way to work out Abba’s singles sales is to go through each single as a separate post and agree on a estimation – I am happy to do that.

if we do not think that Abba books (at the time the group were active), as being accurate or fair minded as representing Abba sales, then we look to the music press of the day and not just Billboard – UK -Record Mirror was a music magazine that gave lots of record figures. Not only Record Mirror but the more heavyweight music press in the form of New Musical Express wrote in 1980 (they were doing a big feature on Abba that was not altogether complimentary) it did say and I quote that by the end of the 1970’s Abba is reckoned to have sold 150 million records and cassettes and that is before their recent spate of platinum, and gold discs (this would mean the WTIA and the Super trouper LP and Singles.
:D
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby kevin1989 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:28 pm

I kinda agree with you on your estimations.

Although as you say some estimations are too high (I'm thinking of Waterloo and SOS for example), others seem to be a bit low, so they kinda compensate each-other. I'd say the total estimations might be 2 or 3 million lower than the 68,5 million you say, but not much more!

I'd say that the real total is definately somewhere between yours and MJD's estimations.

It's a pity MJD didn't give the detail of his though, he always does an amazing job at estimating sales!
kevin1989
Roadie

Postby HUR » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:03 pm

Response to Prici900:

No, your single sales estimations too high.

Although if you are counting downloads, then I probably agree with you.

Thank you for the totals, but you are only mentioning the sales on two or three countries and then adding several million to every single on the basis that they were 'massive' here or there, but without going into any deep detail.

Not to mention that your sales for Chiquitita are too high, as already exlained to you with neat and reliable sales figures. I guess that when you don't have much arguments to support you sales figures, you are only left with your tenacity.

Between USA, UK and Germany, it is likely that Abba sold some 25-27 million singles, how do you find 45 million (or so) outside of those territories? I just don't see it. Remember: in Latin America Abba had a late success (they started selling records in big quantities by 1979); singles sales in Asia were insignificant (in Japan, they were no far more than 1,500,000); and whilst Abba were big in Africa, total sales were very small in that continent. In addition, Abba weren't really enormous in big countries such Italy, Spain or Canada.

prici900 wrote:if we do not think that Abba books (at the time the group were active), as being accurate or fair minded as representing Abba sales, then we look to the music press of the day and not just Billboard – UK -Record Mirror was a music magazine that gave lots of record figures. Not only Record Mirror but the more heavyweight music press in the form of New Musical Express wrote in 1980 (they were doing a big feature on Abba that was not altogether complimentary) it did say and I quote that by the end of the 1970’s Abba is reckoned to have sold 150 million records and cassettes and that is before their recent spate of platinum, and gold discs (this would mean the WTIA and the Super trouper LP and Singles.
Sorry, perhaps I didn't express myself correctly. You can use some quoted sales figures on old magazines or newspapers, but only if there is some sort of scrutiny before.

For example, if you find an article stating that any given albums sold 2,500,000 in the USA alone, you have to start wondering whether that is correct or not.

If you then go to the RIAA database and find out that it was certified double platinum some years (for shipping 2,000,000) and check some old Billboard charts and notice it reached number one (charting very well), it will be likely that the claim was correct.

Now, when figures go against all logic and come out of thin air, some alarms need to ring in your countings, mate. It is very simple.

Even Benny admitted that 150 million by 1982 was too high and suggested a smaller total. Now you want us to believe that total was reached two years before.

Why don't you give us a breakdown per country, by 1982, in order for us to undertand how Abba had sold 175 million by then?

I will help out: in the USA, they had sold no more than 20 million. You need to find a further a 150 million outside of the biggest territories (a figure that not even The Beatles had achieved then, even though they are far bigger than Abba as you claimed earlier).

There are some important magazines stating that Abba sold 370 million records (not just Wikipedia), but you don't believe that, do you?

Sorry, I can't believe you are the same person who came here to provide some balance. I can't even believe you were the one trying to put down the sales of Queen, Bee Gees and Spice Girls because some sales were made up on Wikipedia, while these numbers are relying on, aren't really more trustable at all. You are being very contradictive, dismissing what has been claimed for other acts and then accepting some of these totals (some of which come from these press relases and/or that Abba's fansite dedicated to their chart accolades, just as unreliable as anything on Wikipedia, or more).

If you want to post some enthusiastic sales estimations, it is fine to do so. As a fan, you are entitled to do it. But obviously, you shouldn't have come here trying to downgrade the sales of other acts in the first place.

New Musical Express wasn't specialized in the music business as Billboard was, for the record.

kevin1989 wrote:It's a pity MJD didn't give the detail of his though, he always does an amazing job at estimating sales!
He did give details (some of which I posted two pages back).

According to MJDangerous, Abba sold 52 million in Europe, USA, Oceania, Canada and Japan. Still behind what Prici900 estimated.
Last edited by HUR on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUR
Superstar

Postby prici900 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Hur Wrote
"Not to mention that your sales for Chiquitita are too high, as already exlained to you with neat and reliable sales figures. I guess that when you don’t have much arguments to support you sales figures, you are only left with your tenacity".

That did make me laugh - I am not tenancious it's just that if it makes sense to me then I will stay with it (remember there are a lot of sales we don't know).... Also it's best not to get personal - this site gives me a lot of pleasure I am not out to annoy anyone but will state my case.

I only added one or two sale figures as an illustration of how the total sale may be possible but I did say the following "Maybe the only way to work out Abba’s singles sales is to go through each single as a separate post and agree on a estimation I am happy to do that".

I will start doing that with Ring Ring very soon.

BTW I do not feel that I am being tough on other acts - I think I am being fair - I will openly say that the 370 million claim by Abba fans is rubbish but equally the claims made by some acts are more outrageous -MJ - thriller 110 million that is something eles, to claim that for one LP.

Alan Jones - wrote for Record Mirror chart watch and gave figures in the 1970's- He now writes for music week. if anyone had access to sale figures then it is him - nothing wrong with using information he has provided

I also said that the devil is in the detail and it is - if an Abba LP gets a USA gold record does that mean that it only sold a million - no it may have sold 1,300,000. Also not all records have a sales award - that does not mean they did not sell anything or that the record did not evern sell big.

I enjoy all posts on here and welcome debate - thats my starting point.

With regards to taking figures from Abba worldwide chart list - I have said it before and I will say it again - I only take figures that have been validated or make sense - given what I know about charts/ populations and how records sold in the 1970's and 1980's. I have seen some fan chart websites where the sales figures make sense - like Madonna (and I really can't stand her music or her humorless persona) but I think that the estimations on that site are reasonable (even if I wish that they were not).
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 pm

What I really believe is that by the end of the 1970's Abba had sold about 140 -150 million records and by the end of thier career as an active pop group they had easily sold 175- 179 Million records in total.

I accept that some of my totals may be a bit out with regards to Abba's single sales but nobody eles has done a single by single breakdown - just look at them, nothing over the top, nothing outrageous in the claims -hardly what you might expect from a die hard Abba fan. :roll:
prici900
Groupie

Postby HUR » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:08 pm

I would like you to keep posting your estimations, of course. I just want you to get more real and conservative. Whether you will take my advice or not is up to you, but as much as you are entitled to bring your estimations –which I think are either too generous or simply exaggerated, in general-, I can also disagree with you and make a point about it whenever I feel it is necessary.

You have to make some sense out of the implications of your own numbers, in my opinion.

For example, you believe that Abba had sold 175 million records by 1983 (earlier you stated that number could be as high as 200 million), including about 75 million singles –which I find to be overestimated for the reasons I started-.

That means that according to you, Abba had sold more than 100 million albums worldwide by 1983. Are you really sure about that? Do you realize that in the United States, for instance, they were on approximately 7,500,000 albums sold by then, which leaves like 92 million for the rest of the world? I think that not even The Beatles (again) had reached such a tally at the time outside of the USA.

Roughly, this is whay Abba had sold by 1983 (albums), I would say, in some of the most importante markets:

UK – 10,000,000
USA – 7,500,000
Germany – 8,000,000
Japan – 5,000,000
France, Spain and Italy – 2,000,000 combined
Canada – 1,500,000
Australia and New Zealand – 4,000,000
Netherlands – 2,000,000
Sweden – 3,500,000
Denmark, Finland and Norway – 3,000,000
Portugal – 300,000
Switzerland and Austria – 1,500,000
Argentina – 500,000 to 600,000 (?) (including more than 200,000 coming from one of their studio albums)

The total is still less than 50 million. The biggest territories are counted, plus some of Abba's strongest recipients (notably Scandinavia).

Considering that Abba had a late Latin American success –as I have already gone over-, sales in Asia and Africa were very small and in Eastern Europe they did great but not quite enough to reach where you are trying to get, I don't think it is possible they sold 100 million albums worldwide by about the time they split.

Based on the gold and platinum awards they had been given in South Africa (by 1979), it looks like they hadn't sold more than 500,000 to 750,000 albums in there. In Kenya, they were reported to have reached some 10,000 per albums, so not more than 100,000 to 150,000 in total.

Sales in Brazil weren't particularly strong for them.

Do you disagree with any of the above totals? Perhaps you believe their sales were higher in certain countries.

I'm sure my friends Benny and Zeus555 will agree with me on this one.

As for your singles sales, I insist they are too high. But if you count downloads, I personally believe they are fine.

I can't be that sure about their singles sales per country (as Benny said, they are harder to estimate), but I wouldn't be surprised if they were like this:

USA – 10,000,000
UK – 10,000,000
Germany – 7,000,000
Japan – 1,500,000
France – 5,000,000
Canada – 500,000
Australia – 2,000,000
Netherlands – 1,500,000
Italy and Spain – 1,000,000

The total is above 38,000,000 singles in those ten countries.

Some totals are definitely fine going by official sources, such as UK, Japan, Italy or Spain. The German sales are courtesy of Benny (who came up with a deep analysis).

And if anything, the USA total is probably generous.

It is dificult to estimate these sales, but I'm going as far as you were with your above breakdown, so I guess you won't mind it.

How do you get to 75 million singles sold is something I would love to understand.

MJDangerous (a former member of this forum) has made a breakdown of their singles sales –as already mentioned to you several times- and he gave 52 million sales to Abba in Europe, USA, Canada, Oceania and Japan. About 60 million singles sold for Abba is the highest you can get if you make some generous estimations; and 50 million if you are a little bit more conservative. About 75 million is just too over the top.

You believe that Chiquitita (I'm glad my comment made you laugh and I hope you didn't take it to heart, not my intention) sold 2,500,000 in Latin America, which is about 20-30% higher than I would guess myself, using some sound totals provided by Billboard, the most prestigious magazine in the music business (who also made mistakes). Perhaps that is the way: in order to know what Abba sold, I need to substract 20-30% of what you estimate, lol.

I would love to see a breakdown on Dancing Queen, their biggest hit and likely their best seller (or close). Any idea as to how we reach 6,000,000? I'm not saying that it didn't sell that many, I'm just curious to know how it did on a per country basis.
Last edited by HUR on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUR
Superstar

Postby Benny » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:42 pm

US Singles Sales

When estimating Abba's singles sales much depends on estimating their US sales. There were no silver certifications at that time, only gold for sales above 1 million and platinum for sales exceeding 2 million copies. So it's really difficult to say how much a single sold that reached the top 10 (or top 20 or top 30) for example. I have seen estimations for Abba's US singles sales total ranging from 6 to 14 million.

A sales total of 8 million seems to be reasonable. The following estimations are courtesy of Johnny from Haven:

Dancing Queen 1,100,000
Take a Chance on Me 1,000,000
Waterloo 800,000
The Winner Takes it All 800,000
The Name of the Game 560,000

Fernando 550,000
Knowing Me Knowing You 540,000
SOS 450,000
I Do I Do I Do 450,000
Does Your Mother Know 400,000

Chiquitita 250,000
When All Is Said and Done 250,000
Honey Honey 250,000
Mamma Mia 200,000
Super Trouper 150,000

Money Money Money 100,000
The Visitors 100,000
Angel Eyes 75,000
Voulez Vous 50,000
One of Us 50,000

Total about 8 million.

Sales for "Waterloo", "Dancing Queen", "Knowing Me Knowing You", "The Name Of The Game" and "Take A Chance On Me" are taken from the magazine Abba Express, Issue 20, 1989. The figures for the other singles were calculated based on their chart runs.
Benny
Legend

Postby prici900 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 pm

I will start digging out the books and get more accurate single sales information, one by one, country by country and like it or not I will be doing comparisions to Abba's peers.

Abba released their singles in many more countries than most groups and were more consistently sucessful than most groups -

Ring Ring - here we come.
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi Benny

Yep your figures for the USA are about where I put them at - the magazine that you quote from is one I posted in the Abba worldwide chart list -

Its all a building block - but just because a single was not big in America/ or was not released there does not mean it did not sell well. GGG is an example of this as is Chiquitita and Super Trouper. Abba broke the sales rules - but I will enjoy proving that they did indeed sell more records than some people want to give them credit for.
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Benny

the one single I would say sold a lot more than is listed is SOS - I would give it another 100,000 as Abba promoted this single via TV shows and quite a few books state how well it sold in the USA.
prici900
Groupie

Postby HUR » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:15 am

prici900 wrote:I will start digging out the books and get more accurate single sales information, one by one, country by country and like it or not I will be doing comparisions to Abba's peers.

Abba released their singles in many more countries than most groups and were more consistently sucessful than most groups -

Ring Ring - here we come.
Instead of "Ring Ring", could you please start with "Dancing Queen"?

Does anybody have a breakdown for that specific single?

If it really 'only' sold 1,100,000 in the USA, I think that 6,000,000 is pushing it a bit.
HUR
Superstar

Return to Artist Chart Analysis