ABBA :: Charts & Sales History

Moderators: AutomaticBR, kingofskiffle, Wayne, arab, stevyy

Postby kevin1989 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:38 pm

I don't agree. Personally, most of the people I know who were there when ABBA were together don't seem to remember as well about I dox5 than other songs. I admit most of them know the song, but it's not the first one nor the second nor the third that comes to their mind when talking about the ABBA songs they remember of.

Still, I do x5 is one one of ABBA's biggest selling single in France - it supposedly sold just over 300,000 copies. It probably didn't peak very high on the chart, but it may have had a long chart run explaining why its sales are so high.

For people who want to know more about ABBA's chart success in France, you should have a look at this site: http://www.top-france.fr/ It is still under construction but the data provided seem to be very accurate, coming from the most serious sources!

Oh and as for ABBA Gold, I guess I do x5 isn't featured because the tracklist is mainly based on ABBA's chart history in the UK. I do x5 and Summer Night City should have been featured, even though I figure that they didn't want to put Summer Night City as they were never really happy with how this song turned out to be.
kevin1989
Roadie

Postby prici900 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:04 pm

I have just looked at France's sales chart and - yep it did have a long chart run compared to other Abba Chart hits in france - it was on the chart for 14 weeks - I seem to remember that Look-in (Old teenage magazine) stating that I do x 5 got a silver award - which would give it sales of 125,000+. Of course I would love to know that it sold 300,00 as I am all for proving Abba's sales.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Abba in Denmark -

I love finding new information about Abba's chart and sales sucess - I have the following infomation for some of Abba's sucess in Denmark - if any one eles can add to this it would be great.

The charts in Denmark were a combined singles and Albums chart (I hate that it reduces Abba's chance of having a number 1) - the information I have from the offical chart site only gose up to the 13th week in 1977 - all informtion after that is from various books/websites.

Singles -

1973 - Ring ring - number 1 (1 week).
1973- Love isn't easy - number 21
1974 - Waterloo - number 1 (2 weeks).
1974 - Ring ring (remix) number 3.
1974 - Honey Honey - number 10
1975 - So long - Number 8
1975 - I do x 5 - number 4
1975 - SOS - number 7
1976 - Fernando - number 2
1976 - Dancing queen - number 1 (8 weeks)
1976 - Money x 3 - number 9
the information after this is patchy for example I do not know if Knowing me knowing you was realeased in Denmark. The other infortion I have is as follows:
1978 - Summer night city - number 1
1979 - Chiquitita - number 1
1979 - Gimme x 3 - number 1

As for thier Lp's I have the following:

1973-Ring Ring - Number 3 (HOORAY)
1974-Waterloo - number 2
1975-Abba - Number 1 (5 weeks)
1976-Greatest hits - number 1 (6 weeks)
1976 - Arrival - number 1 (21 weeks +) said to have sold a massive 225,000

All very good for such a small but loyal market.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby wolfmother » Sat May 26, 2012 3:25 pm

innocenteyes wrote:
prici900 wrote:I am not too sure I do x 5 was one of Abba's biggest hits in france
Perhaps it's not reflected in chart positions but if you ask french people, who were around in the 1970 when ABBA were big, about their biggest hits, I Do would come right after Money x3, Gimme x3 and Fernando.

I don't think that the younger generation will be very familiar with this song very well but 50-60 year old people definately know about I Do x5.

I've never understood why it was excluded from ABBA Gold as it's one of their biggest hits worldwide (bar in the UK and Ireland).
Not exactly true, it is far from being their most familiar track in France, even among those who were around in the 70's. It at least comes right after "Dancing Queen","Fernando", "Waterloo", "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!", "Money, Money, Money", "The winner takes it all" and "Take a chance on me" and possibly "Super trouper" too.
wolfmother
Manager

Postby innocenteyes » Sat May 26, 2012 3:28 pm

kevin1989 wrote:I admit most of them know the song, but it's not the first one nor the second nor the third that comes to their mind when talking about the ABBA songs they remember of.
Perhaps the fourth then, as I just stated in my post lol.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby wolfmother » Sat May 26, 2012 3:35 pm

prici900 wrote:Abba's Sales are fantastic - :D

I am also glad to see that the Abba worldwide Chart list is being updated again (After a year of being dormant).

Intresting that Trent has added the follwing informtion about Abba sales in France

Waterloo - Gold - sales reported to be 417,000
Fernando - Gold - sales reported to be 602,000
Money, Money, Money - Gold - sales reported to be 550,000
Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! - Gold - sales reported to be 583,000
Super Trouper - Gold - sales reported to be 392,000

Total Abba sales in France are listed as 5,476,000 singles and 3,109,423 albums. So Abba sold less than a third LP'S and Singles in France than they did in England despite both countries having roughly the same size populations. :-?

What these single sales do tell us that Fernando was a massive seller in nearly every country and it also seems to be the country where MMM and GGG sold the most copies.
ABBA single sales in France are more than respectful, they are fantastic, not many non-french speaking artist can claim such high sales.
On the other hand their album sales are desappointing but there not bad at all, plus many budget albums for the group have been produced and I'm not sure if they have been included in those estimations, plus budget album sales numbers are hard to estimate anyway. We have to remember that the album market wasn't particulary strong in France back then, no album sold as much as the top sellers did in the UK. Singles were on the other end quite huge.
wolfmother
Manager

Postby prici900 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah the UK was quite unique in that both LP & singles sales were big.

Please don't misunderstand what I am getting at when I make my posts - I believe that Abba were consistantly sucessful in most countries where records were sold - in that they are one of the few acts to have a level of success in most countries.

Abba's success (like Queen, the Bee Gees and the Beatles) was down to the talented members of the group not down to the talents of outsiders.

Every time I hear of new sales figures I get excited (Sad I know) but it all adds to the picture of just how many records Abba sold, be it a career total of 3 million in a small markert (probably 3 million more than some acts will sell in their own countries) or the bigger markets - I have no more intrest in the UK sales than I do from those Sales in Finland or Norway.

BTW here are some more sales figures for Denmark -

The Defintive collection - 50,000
Abba Gold - 300,000+
Forever Gold (160,000)

Thats half a million LP's sold from just 3 Albums -and with Denmark having a population of some 2 million - Amazing.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:29 pm

OOps that should say Denmark has a population of over 5 million - not 2 million.

I have one more sales figure:

1975 Abba LP - 200,000.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Sat May 26, 2012 4:41 pm

innocenteyes wrote "I've never understood why it was excluded from ABBA Gold as it's one of their biggest hits worldwide (bar in the UK and Ireland)".

If gold was based on Abba's best selling singles around the world 1 do x 5 would replace lay all your love on me or Thank you for the music and Ring Ring would also make Gold I think.

To be honest I would love I have a dream not to have made Gold and have had Eagle on there but Hey Ho - I bet we all have our own versions of Gold in mind. :P
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Abba Sales in Hong kong - see website LP'S ONLY -

IFPI Hong Kong Sales Awards?
it seems the year is when the sales award was awared:

Gold disks for: 10,000 LP'S
1977 Abba Best of Abba Polydor
1980 Abba Voulez Vous PolyGram
1981 Abba Greatest Hits II PolyGram
1983 Abba The Visitors PolyGram

Platinum disk for: 20,000 LP'S
1977 Abba Greatest Hits Polydor
1977 Abba Abba Arrival Polydor
1979 Abba Abba - The Album PolyGram
1979 Abba The Very Best of Abba PolyGram
1981 Abba Super Trouper PolyGram

Hong Kong had a population of just over 4 million by the end of the 1970's and Abba got a sales award for every year that there are records for so far at least 140,000 records sold from the certifications above. 1976 - 1983.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Israel - population in the 1970's was about 4 million +

I would love to know more about Abba's sucess in this country as I heard that they were extremely popular here -

What I do know is that GGG made number 1 in 1979

and Gold sold 20,000+ to get a Platinum award

Silver - for Arrival which I believe is some 5,000+

Gold award for- Abba - The Album - some 10,000
Gold award for - Super Trouper some 10,000

So a little information - I hope I can get more to follow.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby innocenteyes » Sat May 26, 2012 5:28 pm

prici900 wrote:If gold was based on Abba's best selling singles around the world 1 do x 5 would replace lay all your love on me or Thank you for the music and Ring Ring would also make Gold I think.

To be honest I would love I have a dream not to have made Gold and have had Eagle on there but Hey Ho - I bet we all have our own versions of Gold in mind. :P
The main problem is that the compilation is called "ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits", not "ABBA Gold: their greatest hits in the UK only". You just need to look at the tracklist to see how they only focused on the UK's chart performances.

Polydor should have really thought on a worldwide scale instead when they made that compilation.

And I'm not saying that I Do x5 should've made the cut because I love it, but because it was one of their biggest hits worldwide.

Oh well, what's done is done and that didn't prevent Gold from being a success. That's what matters I guess.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby prici900 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Ok last post for now -

there are now 196 countries in the world -

Most countries will consume records in either large or small amounts -

Abba were sucessful at a time when we consumed massive amounts of singles and LP'S

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that Abba had sold 175 - 200 million records by the time they disbanded - what they have sold since 1983 is up for debate - although I have my own ideas it is best not to air them here for now, as I might upset those who are trying to down play Abba's sales success. The more we trace back the more we prove.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby Benny » Sat May 26, 2012 6:19 pm

In Billboard magazine's "5 years Abba" special from September 8 1979 it is stated that "Abba has sold 1.2 million albums and cassettes in Denmark, which, in a country of only five million people, means every fourth Danish inhabitant has an album. Additionally, singles sales add up to more than 250.000".

Regarding the tracklist of Gold, the Australasian version featured "I Do x5", "Ring Ring" and "Rock Me" until 2008; "Super Trouper", "I Have A Dream" and "Thank You For The Music" were left out.

The Abba sales for France quoted on the "Abba worldwide Chart list" site are from the French site infodisc. They are estimations and not official. The site offers a list of the biggest selling artists of all time in France.

On this list Abba are at number 47 with a total of 8 585 423 records sold (5 476 000 singles and 3 109 423 albums). However, 2 years ago, the sales total for Abba on that site was only
6 516 962 (3 508 659 singles & 3 008 303 albums). So they increased their sales estimations for Abba.

I've also seen the French silver certification for "I Do x5" in various articles. Didn't silver equal sales of 250k at that time (and not 125k)?
"I Do x 5" was also the only Abba single that peaked higher in the US than in the UK (US #15, UK #38). It also started Abbamania on the Australian charts in late 1975: It was number one for three weeks, then it was replaced at the number one spot by "Mamma Mia" which stayed at the top for 10 weeks; "Mamma Mia" was then replaced at number one by "SOS".

And finally "I Do x5" was their longest charting single ever in New Zealand with a total of 48 weeks.

Prici900, thanks for the charts and sales information for the smaller countries, very interesting! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby zeus555 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:53 pm

In New Zealand:,

1) 'Rock Me' was the 'B' Side of 'I Do, I Do, I Do...',
& that was made the 'A' Side in December 1976.
It eventually got to No.2, (2 Weeks), & spent 20
Weeks on the Chart. So, the 'I Do, I Do, I Do...',
& 'Rock Me' combination, really spent 68 Weeks on
the New Zealand Charts. And, it should really have
been 75 Weeks, due to 7 Weeks of Charts not being
compiled, from December 1976 to February 1977.....

2) The Charts of W/E 17th December 1976, were the
last in New Zealand for 8 Weeks. (The Singles & Albums
Charts did not return until W/E 13th February 1977).

3) So, anything by ABBA, in the 17th December Charts,
lost 7 Weeks of Chart placings.

4) This included 'Dancing Queen', which had climbed
to No.1 for the 4th time - up from No.5. It would
have remained at No.1 for at least some of those
missing 7 Charts.

When the Charts returned, 8 Weeks later, it fell
from No.1 to No.8. It would have had a far more
sensible fall to No.8, had the previous 7 Charts
not been missing....

5) 'Money, Money, Money' had fallen from 1 to 2 in
the 17th December Chart - so that lost 7 Weeks of
Top 10 Positions.

You can see that it was badly affected by losing
7 Top 10 Weeks, by how unimpressive its Top 10
'Run' was, because of those 7 Charts being removed:,

5 - 1 - 2 - (Then 7 Missing Charts) - 10

6) 'Rock Me' had entered at No.23, & it held at
No.23, in the 17th December Chart - so that lost
7 Weeks of Positions, where it would have been
climbing into the Top 10.

7) 'Fernando' had fallen from No.20 to No.28, so
that lost 7 Weeks of Chart Positions.

8) 'Arrival' was on its 4th Week at No.1 - so that
lost 7 No.1 Weeks, as it was No.1 for a 5th, (&
final) Week, when the Charts returned 8 Weeks later.

9) 'The Best Of ABBA' was up from No.3 to No.2 - so
that lost 7 Weeks of Top 5 Positions. It fell from
2 to 5, when the Charts returned, 8 Weeks later.

10) 'ABBA' was up from No.17 to No.14. So, that lost
7 further Top 20 Weeks. It rose from 14 to 11, when
the Charts returned 8 Weeks later.

11) So, basically ABBA lost 7 Weeks of Positions for
4 Singles, in New Zealand = 28 Weeks = 7 Months.
They also lost 21 Weeks from 3 Albums. All because
the New Zealand Charts vanished from 24th December
1976 to 6th February 1977. In the UK, we'd have
filled those gaps in, by repeating the 17th December
1976 Charts for 7 Weeks. In New Zealand, they just
left the gaps. Meaning that a lot of Artists were
cheated out of Months of Chart placings.

12) ABBA were hit badly, as they had both the No.1
& No.2 Singles, & No.1 & No.2 Albums, when the Charts
vanished.

Zeus555
zeus555
Manager

Postby HUR » Sun May 27, 2012 3:50 am

prici900 wrote:Please don't misunderstand what I am getting at when I make my posts - I believe that Abba were consistantly sucessful in most countries where records were sold - in that they are one of the few acts to have a level of success in most countries.

Abba's success (like Queen, the Bee Gees and the Beatles) was down to the talented members of the group not down to the talents of outsiders.
Here I agree with Prici900.

I think Pink Floyd along with those four groups he mentioned (Abba, Queen, Bee Gees and The Beatles) are the most 'global' bands in history.

prici900 wrote:Abba Sales in Hong kong - see website LP'S ONLY -

IFPI Hong Kong Sales Awards?
it seems the year is when the sales award was awared:
Back in the seventies and early eighties, the levels were like this:

Gold: 7,500
Platinum: 15,000

They were increased to 10,000 and 20,000 in subsequent years.

prici900 wrote:Israel - population in the 1970's was about 4 million +

I would love to know more about Abba's sucess in this country as I heard that they were extremely popular here -

What I do know is that GGG made number 1 in 1979

and Gold sold 20,000+ to get a Platinum award

Silver - for Arrival which I believe is some 5,000+

Gold award for- Abba - The Album - some 10,000
Gold award for - Super Trouper some 10,000
I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the levels were actually like this:

Silver: 10,000
Gold: 20,000
Platinum: 40,000
HUR
Superstar

Postby prici900 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:12 am

Hur Wrote of Israel

"I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the levels were actually like this:

Silver: 10,000
Gold: 20,000
Platinum: 40,000".

I hope you are right the information I got was off a current Israel site - so great if the Abba's sales were even bigger than I posted.

I suppose that's one thing we forget about is that sales awards have decreased at the same time that outrageous sales claims are being made for current artists.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby Benny » Sun May 27, 2012 6:22 pm

UK Albums Top 100

71 (53) 18 Hits
100 (110) Gold
Benny
Legend

Postby HUR » Sun May 27, 2012 7:02 pm

prici900 wrote:I suppose that's one thing we forget about is that sales awards have decreased at the same time that outrageous sales claims are being made for current artists.
Well, some 'outrageous claims' are also being made for most of the oldest acts, with Abba being a prime example of that (along with other acts, of course).

One week ago you mentioned some inflated numbers being attached to the Spce Girls and Bee Gees on Wikipedia. And the very same thing applies to Abba, who are claimed to have sold 370 million records worlwide on that same site and that is obviously inaccurate. No disrespect, but Abba are one of the ultimate examples when it comes to inflated sales, some of which are (or were) published on that Abba worlwide Chart list you talked about yesterday.

Consistency is needed in these issues. Again, I'm saying this with due respect to you, Abba and their fans.
HUR
Superstar

Postby prici900 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi Hur

I am never offended by debate, so no worries, and I am with you in that I do not believe that Abba have sold 370 million records - I do belive that they sold about 175 million + by the time they broke up but am willing to try and gather evidence and make a case for this but am open to be proved wrong.

What makes Abba diffrent in my eyes - in their sales claim - is that it appears to be only one lie that is being perpetuated about them - that is that they have sold 370 million records to date - with regards to Michael Jackson, the Bee Gees and Queen is that the outrageous claims are being made for individual LP's - but I take your point.

BTW I feel a bit wired saying anything negative about the Bee Gees at present(although I always saw them as Abba's main sales competition in the 1970's) - due to the death of Robin Gibb - whose voice I liked a lot and as a person he was always very generous about other artists including Abba.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby prici900 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:09 pm

I know some people hate comparing some groups sales with others – but I am comparing some groups claims of sales against Abba’s.

Firstly I never compare the Beatles to Abba – As I feel that this is a wasted exercise as apparently Sgt Pepper is the second bestselling Album of all time in the UK (is it really with those extra sales ermmm… discovered) but they were really one of a kind and could never happen again.

I have always thought who could you really compare Abba with Sales wise? Queen certainly, Bee Gees – yes but they only had one massive selling studio LP (That is if you don’t’ count Saturday Night Fever as their LP), Fleetwood Mac – yes but their sales were mostly in America but had good success in mainly the UK outside America, and maybe the Eagles (but they were quintessentially an American phenomena just as Madness are quintessentially an English phenomena. Ok so that really leaves Queen and the Bee Gees – So I started to compare LP sales –

Queens claims are staggering –

The Works is estimated to have sold 12 million copies worldwide, but here are its claimed Certifications:

Austria (IFPI Austria)[28]

Platinum

50,000x

Canada (Music Canada)[29]

Platinum

100,000^

Germany (BVMI)[30]

Platinum

500,000^

Netherlands (NVPI)[31]

Gold

50,000^

Switzerland (IFPI

Platinum

50,000x

United Kingdom (BPI)[33]

Platinum

United States (RIAA)[34]

Gold

500,000^

And it only made number one – (As far as I can find) in Holland – therefore I would say worldwide sales at 7 million at best (For all the pedantic people out there – I know chart positions does not mean massive sales – but I would say high chart positions can be an indicator of sales).

Whilst Abba the Album is said to have sold 7.5 million but it got to number one in at least 9 countries – and sold about 1.3 million in the USA and 1.1 million In the UK and had stunning sales in Sweden of 753,000+ and yet we are supposed to believe that the Works was a bigger hit. Abba the Album sold more than the works – period - and it is provable.

There are more extraordinary claims made later on by Queen fans with the LP ‘It’s a kind of Magic LP sales claims at 14 million, The miracle LP at 9.5 Million, innuendo at 11 million and the posthumous ‘Made in Heaven’ at a staggering claim of 20 Million. The evidence does not bear this out but that does not stop Queen from being a great Act whom sold a lot of records and who were truly unique.
Don’t get me wrong I think Queen, the Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles are great groups but the sales claims leave me cold and while there are some people on the internet downplaying Abba Sales – the fans of the aforementioned groups are bigging up their favourite group’s sales whilst diminishing Abba’s considerable sales achievements.

I am a big fan of the Bee Gees and to make a comparison to Abba seems unfair as they had about 40 years of recording as an active Group and Abba had ten but only if we include Saturday Night Fever as a Bee Gees LP could we claim that they sold about the same amount of LP’s as Abba if we are comparing group for group – ( and remove SNF LP) I would have to say that Abba sold more LP’S and maybe more singles – just maybe as the Bee Gees had some massive selling singles in the USA – 9 NUMBER ONES that’s some going for the USA.

I am and have always been of the mind that the Abba LP’s sold more than are usually credited with having sold– if the Bee Gees Spirits having flown sold 30 Million – then so did Arrival (which neither of them did of course but the Claim for SHF as having sold 30 million is all over the internet and is getting presented as fact) the claim in the official Bee Gees book got SHF at 16 million, - I would question that as only about 800,000 copies sold in England and about 500,000 copies sold in Germany – and the most I can find for the USA is 1+ million claim.

My point – Arrival was massive and on a par with SHF – in fact there is more evidence for Arrival having sold 16 million than for SHF – but nobody is making that claim for Abba - In fact the most we get claimed tor Arrival is 10 – 11 million (For which there is considerable evidence) – 1 .7 million in the UK, 1 million + in Germany, 700,000 in Sweden, 800,000 in Poland, 900,000 in Australia and so it goes.

I am not of the mind that we should not do comparisons of other groups – I think that is the only way we get the truth – I do believe that Saturday Night Fever LP did sell 30 million (Not the 40 million that is claimed now) and that the Bee Gees sold a lot of records in the late 70’s – Strangely their career total of some 220 million seems reasonable to me – but if that is the case then Saturday Night Fever has been included in that total.

As discussed with Hur I do not believe that Abba’s career total is 370 million (At the very least 120 million too many) but I do believe that Abba sold more records than the Bee Gees, Queen, Eagles and Fleetwood Mac - certainly nowhere near as many as the Beatles – and I know nothing about Led Zeppelin – but my guess is that they sold more LP’S than singles.
I love pop music -
prici900
Groupie

Postby HUR » Mon May 28, 2012 8:42 pm

I have to admit that I don't know why so many Abba fans (in this forum, just here) are always so keen on comparing them to Queen.

I mean: why? Two successful groups, but completely different in terms of charts and sales success. I don’t see the point.

Some people (not taking specifically about you) see Queen are easy to pick on, for some reason. As a fan, it gets frustrating; I wish more people showed more respect toward them. Again, not talking about you.

I can tell you that all those Wikipedia claims are obviously inaccurate. Queen's "The Works" sold far fewer than 7,000,000 (let alone 12,000,000); same as with other albums (including those you mentioned). Anyway, it is important to notice those sales totals were made up by some fans in that site, but never spread to other websites. Unlike the ludicrous Abba's claim of 370 million records, which is always cited every now and then.

I think there is no way Abba sold 250 million records worldwide. Their albums sales range between 100 and 120 million, and with singles and music videos, it should be 180/190 million overall. Half of what they are claimed to have sold, and far fewer than you are estimating. I think Benny, Zeus555 and other Abba fans will agree with me.

Looking at the biggest markets, we have this:

USA
UK
Japan
Germany
France
Canada
Australia
Netherlands
Italy
Spain

Personally I think that Queen have clearly sold more albums in at least 8 of them.

Abba sold more in Australia.

Not idea about Japan, but it could be Abba too.

As for physical singles sales, Queen are easily ahead in the UK and USA.

Abba are ahead in Germany, Japan, France, Australia.

And I guess they could be close in Netherlands, Canada, Italy and Spain.

As far as music videos are concerned, Queen are way ahead everywhere, even if the market is smaller.

Digital sales are more favourable toward Queen by far.

Overall, it is safe to say that Queen have clearly sold more records than Abba in the above countries.

Of course, we still have the rest of the world to go. But it is important to notice (as I was mentioning some days ago) that Queen are also a global act.

For example, Abba's fans are keen on claiming how dominant they were in Eastern Europe, Asia or South Africa. That is an argument they could use when comparing them to acts like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC or The Eagles (even U2). But definitely not Queen, who were massive in just as many markets and are likely to have sold more than Abba in many of them (although sales are difficult to track).

I think you are great at contesting exaggerated claims of other acts, but you aren't equally enthusiastic in doing so when it comes to Abba.

I think, with due respect, that Queen have sold more records than Abba worldwide. But well, we are entitled to different views, as Zeus555 said. In my opinion, Queen's sales are like this:

Albums – 140 million
Singles – 40
Videos – 10
Digital – 25

Abba would be like this:

Albums – 110 million
Singles – 50
Videos – 5
Digital – 15

Some numbers are conservative, but for both acts.

The Bee Gees are my second favourite group, but I think jcguzman can defend them better than me. I love Abba too, even if they don't rank in my personal Top 10.
Last edited by HUR on Wed May 30, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUR
Superstar

Postby Benny » Mon May 28, 2012 8:45 pm

prici900 wrote:As discussed with Hur I do not believe that Abba’s career total is 370 million (At the very least 120 million too many) but I do believe that Abba sold more records than the Bee Gees, Queen, Eagles and Fleetwood Mac
If HUR sees this than you better be prepared :lol:

As much as I love Abba I don't think that they sold more records worldwide than Queen or the Bee Gees because both were much bigger in the US than Abba. As we all know the US is by far the world's biggest music market and Abba's success in many smaller markets still can't compensate their moderate sales in the US. Abba and the Bee Gees may have similar total sales but I'd say Queen sold about 30 million records more.
Benny
Legend

Postby HUR » Mon May 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Benny wrote:
prici900 wrote:As discussed with Hur I do not believe that Abba’s career total is 370 million (At the very least 120 million too many) but I do believe that Abba sold more records than the Bee Gees, Queen, Eagles and Fleetwood Mac
If HUR sees this than you better be prepared :lol:

As much as I love Abba I don't think that they sold more records worldwide than Queen or the Bee Gees because both were much bigger in the US than Abba. As we all know the US is by far the world's biggest music market and Abba's success in many smaller market still can't compensate their moderate sales in the US. Abba and the Bee Gees may have similar total sales but I'd say Queen sold about 30 million records more.
If you see my above message, I think I was kind. :D My socials are improving.

Loving you, Benny.

Anyway, can anybody explain to me why Abba are always compared to Queen? I would like to believe it is because Abba fans have respect for them; but in general, from what I have seen, it is the opposite.
HUR
Superstar

Postby Benny » Mon May 28, 2012 9:01 pm

HUR wrote: If you see my above message, I think I was kind. :D My socials are improving.
:lol:
Yes they are :wink:

HUR wrote: Anyway, can anybody explain to me why Abba are always compared to Queen? I would like to believe it is because Abba fans have respect for them; but in general, from what I have seen, it is the opposite
I guess that's because after the Beatles, many people (especially in Europe) see Abba and Queen as the second biggest bands ever (regarding their musical impact, their iconic status and their success). This puts them in some kind of competition for some people, especially fans who want to prove that Abba sold more than Queen or vice versa.

I'm an Abba fan but I do have a lot of respect for Queen, despite the fact that they are not among my all-time favourite bands (however, both "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "The Show Must Go On" are among my all-time favourite songs). I don't think that there are more Abba fans who don't respect Queen than there are Queen fans who don't respect Abba (I'm sure that some Queen fans would discredit Abba's music as girly bubble gum pop). But let's not elaborate on this, both bands are among the best bands of all-time, no doubt about that 8-).
Benny
Legend

Return to Artist Chart Analysis