ABBA :: Charts & Sales History

Moderators: kingofskiffle, stevyy

Postby Nameless » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:31 pm

The Mamma Mia! film was pretty awful.

The one good thing about a new movie is there will a chance to feature
less familiar songs.

Eagle and Fernando wouldn't fit in without a major lyric change.

Summer Night Ciity
Knowing Me Knowing You
The Name of the Game
The Day Before You Came

would I expect to see in the film

I don't understand attraction of I Wonder either. It shouldn't have been on Greatest Hits vol 2 and More Gold.

Kisses if Fire and As Good as New would be good choices.
Nameless
Groupie

Postby innocenteyes » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Australian midweeks thanks to themusic.com.au:

Piano: Top 20
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:15 pm

UK Albums Chart

12 (NEW) Benny Andersson - Piano
42 (40) ABBA - Gold

German Albums Chart

09 (NEW) Benny Andersson - Piano

Swedish Albums Chart

02 (NEW) Benny Andersson - Piano
Benny
Legend

Postby oaknuys » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Benny wrote:UK Albums Chart

12 (NEW) Benny Andersson - Piano
42 (40) ABBA - Gold

German Albums Chart

09 (NEW) Benny Andersson - Piano

Swedish Albums Chart

02 (NEW) Benny Andersson - Piano
Seriously this is a great outcome for a non-commercial album! Bravo
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager

Postby innocenteyes » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 am

AUSTRALIA:

18 (NEW) Piano
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby moonie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 pm

To compare, last ABBA member with a wide release:

"A" 2013 peaks
UK - 6
Australia - 3
Germany - 3
Sweden - 2
Norway - 3
Denmark - 2
Swiss - 2
Netherlands - 5
Ireland - 18
France - 85
US - 186
moonie
Groupie

Postby Benny » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Official UK Charts Analysis

Alan Jones wrote:The 70-plus stars I mentioned earlier take different approaches to their back catalogue with their latest albums, with 71-year-old former Pink Floyd guitarist and vocalist David Gilmour's Live At Pompeii marking his return to the Italian amphitheatre where Pink Floyd recorded a longform video for an elaborately-staged set which debuts at No.3 (12,900 sales), while former Abba founder, songwriter and keyboards player Benny Andersson, 70, goes for the simple approach with Piano (No.12, 5,948 sales), on which he performs songs from throughout his career in solo piano arrangements. Gilmour's last studio album, Rattle That Lock, opened atop the chart two years ago this week on sales of 48,075 copies, while his only previous live solo album, Live In Gdansk, is also celebrating its birthday, having debuted and peaked at No.10 on sales of 24,073 copies this week in 2008. Benny Andersson's only album chart entry in his own right came in 2009, when Story Of A Heart sold 7,500 copies debuting and peaking at No.29.
Benny
Legend

Postby Benny » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:07 pm

German Albums Chart

79 (RE) ABBA - Gold-Greatest Hits

thanks to beso for that information
Benny
Legend

Postby zeus555 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:12 am

Here is the Link to this 'Daily Mail' Benny Article - which has a lot of photos in it:

https://goo.gl/wHsRZg

Benny now says that there will be about 18 ABBA Songs in 'Mamma Mia 2', that were not in 'Mamma Mia 1'.
That includes 'The Name Of The Game' as that was cut from the 1st Film.

He has been 'critical' - sort of - of the 2nd Film, in the following 'Daily Mail' Article. But, he is fully co-operating
with helping to make the Film, by working on recording the Cast Album, in London.

However, the 'Daily Mail' is trying to make out that he's actually angry that Film 2 is being made - as one can
see by their 'slams' word, in the headline. In fact, it is perfectly clear that he is not angry at all. Just a bit sad
that more imagination has not gone into the plot of Film 2. (Then again - not much imagination went into the
1st Film either! It had a very simple 'romantic' plot).

I 100% agree with his views on 'Modern' Chart Hits. Many of them are very samey & ordinary, with very little melody.....

'They're playing it safe': ABBA's Benny Andersson slams plans for Mamma Mia! sequel
as he accuses producers of 'making a copy' of the first film

By Dalya Alberge and Eve Buckland

Saturday 7th October 2017

As one quarter of Swedish supergroup Abba, he revolutionised pop music in the 1970s, with the band's songs featuring prominently in 2008 smash film Mamma Mia!

But Benny Andersson has slammed plans for the Mamma Mia! sequel, currently filming in Croatia, accusing the producers of 'playing it safe' by 'making a copy' of the original film.

The Waterloo hitmaker, 70, said although he was thrilled by the production, he also would have liked to create something completely different: 'Universal Pictures have a great success with Mamma Mia! The Movie. Then they want to do another one… They want a copy of what they’ve already done. It’s playing it safe…

'They just want another Mamma Mia! I don’t mind that. Don’t misunderstand me. I enjoy working with it. It’s a beautiful cast… It’s going to be fun.

'But the reasons for the big companies to do what they do – film companies or record companies – is that they want to play it safe.'

Long after their breakup in 1982, ABBA-mania remains undimmed. Mamma Mia! The Movie,has made more than $600 million worldwide, following a stage hit.

In August, Universal Pictures announced that principal photography had begun on another movie, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.

It has the original cast (Meryl Streep, Julie Walters, Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth), as well as new “additions” (Lily James). Ol Parker directs a story that he has co-written with Catherine Johnson and Richard Curtis, while Andersson and Ulvaeus are executive producers.

Andersson revealed yesterday the sequel will include around 18 ABBA songs that were not in the previous film: 'I’ve been recording them again… I’ve been to London a number of times to record voices and backing vocals. All the actors have to do their bit before they start shooting.'

He founded ABBA with fellow songwriter and guitarist Björn Ulvaeus, and their then respective partners, the singers Anni-Frid Lyngstad and Agnetha Faltskog.

The group became a pop phenomenon after winning the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest. Their extraordinary string of mega-hits includes Mamma Mia, Fernando, Dancing Queen, Knowing Me Knowing You and Take a Chance on Me.

Although ABBA were a defining force in pop music, selling more than selling more than 380 million albums, but songwriter and keyboard player Andersson doubts that they would find success if they were only starting out today.

He argues that creativity is now being stifled because music is composed 'by committee', resulting in unmemorable songs topping the charts.

Asked whether, in today’s industry, ABBA might not have found success, he said: 'Yes, very possible. We were lucky to be in the 70s.'

While he has always composed at the keyboard, valuing the freedom to 'make mistakes', he questions today’s approach: 'Music is now created by committee in a way. One guy’s doing a nice rhythm track, another one is doing a bass line, a third one is doing some nice synthesiser sounds...

'And the last thing that happens is that someone is trying to write a melody on top of whatever is on there. That means that the music has no sender, you know. Return to sender.'

Asked about today’s pop songs, he added: 'There’s not much to remember. They have other ingredients nowadays. I don’t really get it. I can appreciate a good recording, a good groove, great sounds, good rapping, good lyrics, but I don’t know where the songs themselves are any more.

'All of a sudden, you hear a good Adele number, you hear Lady Gaga… Katy Perry… Wow, that’s a good recording, that’s a great song. But otherwise, I’m not sure.'

It is hard to ignore the criticisms of a musician with an extraordinary gift for melody.

When Andersson occasionally goes on to Spotify to listen to the British Top Ten, he finds himself struggling to understand their popularity: 'I listen to that and I say, what’s going on here?

'I don’t understand the ingredients. What is it that so many people like that it ends up in the top ten charts?... If I don’t understand it, I can’t really analyse it.'

He exudes modesty, blaming himself instead: 'It’s probably me that’s not really up to it. I think it has to do with age. It’s always been like that. Our parents didn’t like Elvis Presley. They didn’t even like The Beatles to start with. They didn’t get that. We did. So I suppose it’s the same now.'

He spoke to the Daily Mail ahead of releasing a 21-track solo piano album of music that spans his career.

He likens it to 'playing an autobiography without words'.

Titled ‘Piano’, and released this month by prestigious classical music label Deutsche Grammophon, it includes songs from ABBA and his hit musical Chess, among other solo compositions.

He has reworked ABBA tracks like Thank You For The Music. He said: 'When the music is stripped of all clothes, all the arrangements, all the lyrics, all the voices, and all that’s left is me playing the piano, what comes through is a much greater strain of melancholia than it really has in the recordings…

' I don’t know if it’s the way I play or if it’s the way the music actually was from the beginning.”

He does not generally listen to his old recordings: 'While you’re working on a project, it’s full-time listening to it every minute of the day until it’s finished.

'Once it’s released, it sort of becomes your property not ours…. They don’t belong to me any more.'

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Zeus555
zeus555
Manager

Postby Benny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:17 pm

US Top 200 Albums
Week Ending: 10/05/17

Total Chain Indep MassM Non T
(164) ABBA|BEST OF ABBA-MILLENNIUM C 1633 112 6 1464 53 60249843229

Past 4 Weeks
ABBA|BEST OF ABBA-MILLENNIUM C 6622 407 43 5904 268 60249843229

US ALBUM SALES WEEK 39 - YTD
182 - 62,000 - THE BEST OF-20TH CENTURY MASTERS… - Abba (1,634,000 )
Benny
Legend

Postby trebor » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Billboard® © nielsen.MUSIC
October 21, 2017

Classical Albums™
New 2 Piano
Benny Andersson
Mono Music/Deutsche Grammophon | VLG

Classical Crossover Albums™
New 2 Piano
Benny Andersson
Mono Music/Deutsche Grammophon | VLG
trebor
Legend

Postby LostAvenger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:06 pm

"Dancing Queen" won a BMI Million-Air award at the BMI London Awards for 5 million "performances" on US media. In addition to terrestrial radio performances and television, for the first time the data also included performances from digital streaming services and satellite radio.

https://www.bmi.com/news/entry/2017-bmi-london-awards
LostAvenger
Legend

Postby trebor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Switzerland, October 8, 2017
GfK/swisscharts.com

24 - NEW - Benny Andersson - Piano - UNI/UNI
trebor
Legend

Postby trebor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Spain, SEMANA 40: del 29.09.2017 al 05.10.2017
TOP 100 ALBUMES (ALBUMES CON "PRECIO DE LISTA" SUPERIOR A € 4,50)
GfK/ProMusicae/AGEDI

100 E 0 0 1 BENNY ANDERSSON PIANO UNIVERSAL
trebor
Legend

Postby petrodav1452 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:53 am

Benny Andersson/Abba Album Chart Stats.. 1st wk

UK (Physical)Sales Album Chart
Piano. 10, 22
Gold 32, 34
iTunes Piano. UK Classical Album Chart. Currently N0.1

Germany Top 100 Chart
Piano. 9, 18
Gold. 79, 52

Austria Piano. 25
Gold. 56 (356wks)

Belguim Piano. 30,36
Flanders Classical Chart
Piano. 1, 1

Norway Top 50
Piano. 33

Sweden Piano. 2,3
Piano (Physical) Sales. 2, 1

Billboard Piano (classical Album) chart 2,2

Swiss Piano. 24
Gold. 67 (447wks)

Dutch Piano. 15, 41

Australia Piano. 18,49
Piano (Classical) Chart 1, 2

France Piano (Classique) Chart 48, 8
Piano (download) Chart 68
petrodav1452
Groupie

Postby zeus555 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 am

I find the Plots of both 'Mamma Mia!' Films to be very unimaginative. As if they were written by a Woman who
reads nothing else except Mills & Boon Romance Novels. As it is, the 1st Film borrowed much from the 1968 Film,
'Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell'. Then they add in USA Teenager slang such as, 'OMG!' - 'Oh My God!'. None of it has
ever excited me, which is why I've been unable to force myself to watch the 1st Film. I just watch the ABBA Song
clips from it, on YouTube.

I'd far rather that ABBA Songs had been used in a huge, expensive Walt Disney Fantasy Cartoon - with the ABBA
originals being used, instead of them being murdered, by Actors who, (mostly), cannot even sing - as in both
'Mamma Mia!' Films.

We will see if 'Fernando' will be used in Film 2, seeing as it is ABBA's 2nd biggest Single Globally, (after
'Dancing Queen'). It is also ABBA's biggest ever Hit in many Countries - Germany, Switzerland, Australia, &
New Zealand, etc. They may feel that it cannot be 'fitted', into a Film about a 'Modern Real Life' situation.
However, it is easy. They could use it in a 'Dream Sequence', where one of the Movie's Cast is having a Dream,
in which a 'Fantasy' is shown, of 'Fernando' being sung. However, such a stretch of imagination may be too hard,
for people, who seem only to read Mills & Boon Romances.

They are very lucky, that the ABBA Songs, have made a success of such a woefully basic & dull story! It is the
Songs that hold it all together. Without them, it is a boring pile of junk!

I see the Films purely as a very successful way to promote ABBA. On their own, the Films are very ordinary.
It infuriates me when I see people, on YouTube, saying that the 'Mamma Mia!' Actors perform the Songs better
than ABBA did! It is obviously not true, when many of the Cast cannot even sing!!!

Zeus555
zeus555
Manager

Postby zeus555 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:38 am

Cher to appear in 'Mamma Mia! 2'.

It is good that Cher will be in 'Mamma Mia! 2'. Apparently, she will sing 2 ABBA Songs.
At last, an Actress, in it, who can actually sing!

It is not the first time that she has had an association with ABBA. She was in their 'The Last Video',
in 2004:

LINK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L6T6Yj5u4k

Here is a 'Daily Mail' Article, about Cher being in 'Mamma Mia! 2':

LINK:

https://goo.gl/mComf6

Here she goes again: Cher prepares to return to the big screen with appearance in
Mamma Mia 2

The 71-year-old is currently rehearsing for the Mamma Mia sequel in London

Oscar-winning actress has not been in films for years, opting for singing instead

Her character name and which Abba songs she'll be singing are still under wraps

By Baz Bamigboye for the Daily Mail

Monday 16th October 2017

Hollywood star Cher is preparing to be a 'dancing Queen' in the sequel to Abba movie musical Mamma Mia!

The Oscar-winning actress is in London rehearsing choreography sequences for the film Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.

The Mail can reveal she will appear in two song and dance sequences in the follow up to the 2008 Mamma Mia! Movie, which starred Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Pierce Brosnan, Julie Walters, Amanda Seyfried, Dominic Cooper and Christine Baranski,
all of whom are in the new film.

Lily James is also in the film as the younger version of Donna, Streep's character.

The cast has been shooting on locations in Croatia but they will join Cher on the dance floor set up at Shepperton Studios later this week.

Cher's role and names of the Abba numbers she'll sing are being kept under wraps.

'Cher's our secret weapon. It'll spoil the fun if we give anything away,' an executive connected to the film explained last night.

Cher, 71, has not been in front of film cameras for several years, although she has been busy touring and collaborating on developing a Broadway musical based on her life and career.

Her Oscar was for best actress in Moonstruck in 1988.

The stage show will feature her signature chart-toppers such as I Got You Babe, Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves and The Shoop Shoop Song.

Cher revealed on her Twitter feed that she has been rehearsing dance numbers but didn't disclose the name of the project.

However, she happily admitted to being in the UK where, she noted, 'It's always felt like home.'

Mamma Mia! started out on stage in London eighteen years ago where it remains a West End favourite.

Judy Craymer the producer who helped create the show also backed the 2008 film which took one billion dollars at the box office worldwide.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Zeus555
zeus555
Manager

Postby Benny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:07 pm

US Retailer Report: Top 200 Albums
Week Ending: 10/12/17

(135) ABBA|BEST OF ABBA-MILLENNIUM C 1704 130 8 1480 88
Benny
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Great to have Cher in 'MM 2', at least one person who can sing.
Benny
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Benny wrote:Great to have Cher in 'MM 2', at least one person who can sing.
:wink:
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby zeus555 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:43 am

Cher has done several Tweets that suggest that 1 of her 'Mamma Mia! 2' Songs is 'Fernando'.

1)... 'Fernando'

2)... 'The roar of guns and cannons almost made me cry'

3)... 'They were shining there for you and Me for liberty'

4)... 'If I had to do the same again I would my friend !?'
Always cry when I'm singing it.

Some people know very little about ABBA. I found this error, in a Cher Article, on a USA
Gay On-Line Site, called 'Out'. Justin Moran wrote the Article:

"A mysterious tweet, which says "Fernando" in all caps, could offer fans insight about what
to expect —perhaps Cher will perform ABBA's 1980 single off Gracias Por La Música?"

I added this comment to the Site:

'Fernando' was on ABBA's 'Gracias Por La Musica' in 1980. But that was a Spanish
Language ABBA Album. The Global Hit version - in English - was a 1976 Single. If
Cher sings 'Fernando' in the 2nd 'Mamma Mia!' Film, she will obviously be singing
the 1976 English Language original.

NOTE - I know that Frida originally sang 'Fernando', (in Swedish), on her 1975 'Frida Ensam'
Album. However, I was just taking about ABBA's version's of the Song.

Zeus555
zeus555
Manager

Postby petrodav1452 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Classic fm. David Mellor picks out his three favourite new releases and re-releases every week - including his own Album of the Week and a Bargain Boxset - bringing you lots of new recordings to explore.

Album of the Week
Benny Andersson: Piano
Deutsche Grammophon

Benny Andersson’s album Piano is a big success because its 21 tracks are not predictable, extending way beyond piano versions of Abba’s greatest hits. And, he plays really well.

Andersson claims not to read music properly, but these performances of songs he has composed over several decades, show a mastery of form and harmony, as well as of melody, that suggests he is being way too modest about his technical accomplishments.

Benny Andersson loves Bach – a commitment he describes as “deep, strong and everlasting”. The structure of a number of these pieces reflects an understanding of the classical piano repertoire that may being with JSB, but certainly doesn’t end there.

Everyone has a view about Abba. Their ridiculous stage costumes, and antics, undoubtedly divided opinion, and perhaps blinded some to the exceptional quality of the songs that Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus composed.

And they must have been doing something right, because, allegedly, though the claim cannot be verified, they shifted 375 million discs. And that’s not including sales of Mamma Mia, the biggest selling DVD ever in the UK.

As well as a string of hit singles during their decade together, Abba also produced eight albums. Interestingly, Anderson only chooses six Abba songs, and only one of them, a big hit single, Thank You For The Music.

“Piano” is full of new discoveries, like a couple of charming songs from Andersson’s epic musical Kristina från Duvemåla, about Swedish immigration to America in the mid-19th century, on which he worked for several years.

There’s also a lot of music from Chess, the mid 80’s musical he did with Tim Rice, which plainly Andersson loves. And on this evidence, it’s perhaps underrated by the rest of us.

At 80 minutes, it is not just a warm hearted album, but a generous one. I’ve listened to it lots since I first got it a fortnight ago. For an evening of easy listening, glass in hand, it’s actually hard to beat, and will give much pleasure.
petrodav1452
Groupie

Postby petrodav1452 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Benny, finally makes it to the Number One Spot in the Swedish Main Album Charts! and is awarded a Gold Disc

Benny Andersson

Sweden.

Piano. Main Album Chart 2,3,1
Piano (Physical) Sales. 2,1,1
petrodav1452
Groupie

Postby zeus555 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 am

It is now being said that Cher will pay Meryl Streep's Mother in 'Mamma Mia! 2'!!!

If it is true, then Cher, (71), must have given birth to Meryl, (68), when she was 3!

But, if Cher is Meryl's Mother, in the Film, & Meryl is played by a much younger Actress,
in the Flashback scenes, then a much younger Actress, would also have to play Cher, in
the Flashback scenes too.

I wonder if that is why Andy Garcia has been added to the Cast? He could be called Fernando
in it. Perhaps playing Meryl's Brother - Cher's Son. Then we could have Cher telling him how she
used to sing 'Fernando' to him, when he was a young boy. She then has an excuse to sing it to him
as an adult. Thus fitting that ABBA Song into the Plot.

NOTE - I've now heard that Cher will only be seen in the 'Flashback' parts of Film 2. She will be the
Mother of the younger Donna Sheridan, who is played by Lily James, (28). By the time we see the
scenes with Donna as an adult - Meryl Streep - her Mother will be long dead. So Cher & Meryl do
not share any scenes - or ABBA Songs - in Film 2. (Unless the Film has another 'ABBA Medley',
at the end, (as in Film 1), & we see Cher & Meryl singing together during that).

Zeus555
zeus555
Manager

Postby zeus555 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:34 pm

LINK TO THE ARTICLE IN 'THE SUN':

https://goo.gl/rP7JPu

KARANOKE Classic hits banned from karaoke as performers like ABBA and Adele refuse licenses

Over 100 artists are no longer issuing new licenses for their music - with favourites such as Prince's
Purple Rain and Bon Jovi’s Livin’ On A Prayer excluded

EXCLUSIVE

By James Mills and Ben Leo

Saturday 21st October 2017

KARAOKE singers have been banned from belting out classics by top stars like ABBA and Adele.

More than 100 bands and performers are no longer issuing new licenses for their music.
Bars and companies which re-create hits without the vocals are baffled by the move because it deprives the artists of royalties.

The ban already applies to online streaming services but will be extended to discs from January.

And future releases will no longer be available on any format.

Jay Taylor, director of karaoke disc-maker Vocal-Star, said the move, which also affects home karaoke machines, will devastate
the industry.

He said: “We can’t understand why they’re doing it, it makes no sense.”

Other artists on the list include the Bee Gees, Eurythmics, Katy Perry, Paul Weller and New Order.

Rob Kempton of music rights consultancy Footprint Music said a variety of reasons could be behind the ban.

He said: “Artists might want to negotiate their own deal with karaoke companies, or it might be they don’t want songs

overplayed and put people off.

"Maybe some just don’t like karaoke.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Zeus555
zeus555
Manager

Return to Artist Chart Analysis