Elvis Presley :: Charts & Sales History

Moderators: trebor, nympho, kingofskiffle

Postby borderwolf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 pm

Elvis Presley / The Searcher: Original Soundtrack / deluxe box set
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... e-box-set/
by Paul Sinclair

Legacy Recordings and RCA Records will release Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) in April.

This is a ‘musical companion’ to a three-hour, two-part documentary of the same name (by Thom Zimny) which focuses on Elvis’ development, from his early blues and country roots and influences, his contributions to popular culture and to his 1976 recording sessions at the Jungle Room in Graceland.

Formats include a CD and 2LP vinyl (both feature 18 tracks) and an expanded three-CD box set that delivers a further 37 Elvis songs and a bonus ‘various artists’ CD which features selections from Mike McCready’s original score for Elvis Presley: The Searcher; Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers performing Wooden Heart and some of the music that inspired Elvis. In terms of the Presley audio, the label describes the tracks on the single disc as “essential Elvis Presley hits, powerful performances, and rare alternative versions”.

The triple disc deluxe set (pictured above) also includes a 40-page book featuring the usual rare photos, and liner notes by Warren Zanes.

The documentary will premiere in the US via HBO on 14 April. This audio companion is released a little earlier, on 6 April 2018.
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Canada
12 february
Album sales

11 (11)
Elvis Presley - 40 Years On
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

BrainDamageII wrote:
February 17, 2018

Billboard Canadian Albums

TW LW 2W WOC Title Artist

48 47 50 6 40 Years On  - Elvis Presley 

Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Canada
album sales
19 february

11 (11)
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 am

Canada
TOP COUNTRY CHARTS
Sales charts are provided by Nielsen SoundScan

TOP 10 ALBUM SALES
As of 02.20.2018

1. JIM CUDDY – Constellation
2. CHRIS STAPLETON – From A Room Volume 2
3. VARIOUS ARTISTS – Country Heat 2018
4. CHRIS STAPLETON – From A Room Volume 1
5. CHRIS STAPLETON – Traveller
6. LUKE BRYAN – What Makes You Country
7. HIGHWAYMEN – Playlist: The Very Best of The Highwaymen
8. SHANIA TWAIN – Now
9. ELVIS PRESLEY – Elvis 30 no. 1 Hits
10. BRETT KISSEL – We Were That Song
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:13 pm

Canada
album sales
26 february

10 (11)
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Rumoured List of 2018 Record Store Day Exclusives
https://exclaim.ca/music/article/here_a ... exclusives

Presley, Elvis - Girls Girls Girls (red vinyl) LP

Presley, Elvis - Loving You (yellow vinyl) LP

Presley, Elvis - RCA Studio 1 - The New York Sessions (180g) LP
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Canada
Album sales
5 march

10 (10)
Elvis Presley
40 Years On
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Record Store Day 2018
http://bestclassicbands.com/record-stor ... es-3-6-18/
For the 11th anniversary of Record Store Day, which is April 21 this year, labels and artists are treating record buyers–particularly vinyl fanatics–with hundreds and hundreds of releases, many that are exclusive to independent record shops. For collectors, RSD is a national holiday.

Elvis Presley—The King In the Ring (Legacy) [2 x LP, 3000] Both sets from the NBC 1968 comeback special in an individually numbered package with a newly created gatefold sleeve, pressed on red vinyl.
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby thebigham » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:44 pm

New Elvis certifications!

https://twitter.com/SonyLegacyRecs/stat ... 6981390336

"146.5 million @ElvisPresley fans can’t be wrong! The @RIAA today announced 17 new gold, platinum and multi-platinum Elvis records - which of your favorites were certified?"

Nothing at RIAA.com yet...
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Elvis was at 136xP until these certifications.

RIAA.com:

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: ELVIS PRESLEY CHRISTMAS DUETS
Certification Date: March 8, 2018
Label: RCA NASHVILLE
Format: ALBUM
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: AN AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN
Label: RCA
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: ELVIS' GREATEST JUKEBOX HITS
Label: RCA RECORDS
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: A LEGENDARY PERFORMER, VOLUME 1
3xP

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME
4xP

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: PEACE IN THE VALLEY-THE COMPLETE GOSPEL RECORDINGS
Label: BMG HERITAGE
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: THE GREAT PERFORMANCES
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: ELVIS - THAT'S THE WAY IT IS
1xP

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: ULTIMATE GOSPEL
1xP

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: WHITE CHRISTMAS
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: HEART AND SOUL
1xP

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: CHRISTMAS PEACE
Label: RCA / BMG HERITAGE
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: HE TOUCHED ME: THE GOSPEL MUSIC OF ELVIS PRESLEY
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: HITSTORY
1xP

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: ARTIST OF THE CENTURY
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: ELVIS ROCK
Label: SBME STRATEGIC MARKETING GROUP
Gold

ELVIS PRESLEY
Title: ELVIS: 30 #1 HITS
6xP
thebigham
Legend

Postby Edu » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:45 pm

According to the Graceland official site:

Over the past year, 17 Elvis Presley catalog titles have been awarded RIAA certifications, with 11 of those albums reaching Gold (or Platinum) status for the very first time.

*Elvis Presley Christmas Duets - Gold Album
(certified July 31, 2017)
*An Afternoon In The Garden - Gold Album
(certified July 31, 2017)
*Elvis' Greatest Jukebox Hits - Gold Album
(certified January 12, 2018)
*Elvis Rock - Gold Album
*The Great Performances - Gold Album
*White Christmas - Gold Album

*He Touched Me - Gold Multi-Disc Set
(certified September 13, 2017)
*Artist Of the Century - Gold Multi-Disc Set
*Peace in the Valley - Gold Multi-Disc Set
*Christmas Peace - Gold Multi-Disc Set (certified January 12, 2018)

*HITstory - Gold & Platinum Multi-Disc Set

Heart And Soul - Platinum Album
That's The Way It Is - Platinum Album
Elvis Ultimate Gospel - Platinum Album

Elvis: A Legendary Performer Vol. 1 - Multi-Platinum (3X) Album (certified July 31, 2017)
It's Christmas Time - Multi-Platinum (4X) Album
Elvis 30 #1 Hits - Multi-Platinum (6X) Album

*first time certification
Edu
Manager

Postby minkahed » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 am

Obviously, for the Elvis fan, this is great news, but what I find kind of baffling is what about Elvis's main catalog album titles such as:

"Elvis' Golden Records"
"G.I. Blues"
"Blue Hawaii"
"Elvis Golden Records, volume 3"
"From Elvis in Memphis"
"Elvis Country"
"Aloha from Hawaii" ...

Elvis' Golden Records is certified at six (6) times platinum. Over the past 60 years, from Vinyl to cassette to reel to reel, 8 track, countless reissues, your telling me that this album, this fantastic album has failed to reach at least 10 million in sales ?

Ernst Jorgensen even claimed that this album sells at least a couple hundred thousand a year, but still sits at six times Platinum. I don't think so ...
minkahed
Groupie

Postby borderwolf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Canada
Album sales
12 march

9 (10)
Elvis Presley
40 Years On
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby brian05 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:44 pm

And Elvis has only 1 Digital single (A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION 0.5 million).
Surely he must have other tracks downloaded at least 500,000 times?
brian05
Manager

Postby borderwolf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Canada
album sales
19 march

11 (9)
Elvis Presley
40 Years On
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby minkahed » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:55 am

minkahed wrote:Obviously, for the Elvis fan, this is great news, but what I find kind of baffling is what about Elvis's main catalog album titles such as:

"Elvis' Golden Records"
"G.I. Blues"
"Blue Hawaii"
"From Elvis in Memphis"
"Elvis Country"
"Aloha from Hawaii" ...

Elvis' Golden Records is certified at six (6) times platinum. Over the past 60 years, from Vinyl to cassette to reel to reel, 8 track, countless reissues, your telling me that this album, this fantastic album has failed to reach at least 10 million in sales ?

Ernst Jorgensen even claimed that this album sells at least a couple hundred thousand a year, but still sits at six times Platinum. I don't think so ...
Nobody on here has a logical explanation for my valid question/s ?

Weird ...
minkahed
Groupie

Postby Topicel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 pm

brian05 wrote:And Elvis has only 1 Digital single (A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION 0.5 million).
Surely he must have other tracks downloaded at least 500,000 times?
That would seem logical Brian, wouldn't it, based on the silver awards and above we have seen regularly in the UK.

You know my view about all this download - and particularly streaming - nonsense. It is too easy, not really saying much other than a classic hit is a classic hit and, ultimately, spoils any record-keeping or relevance of the old physical sales and charts when music can be so easily and often carelessly obtained.

Club and other freebies were the same.

Other than that, perhaps the Yanks prefer to download/stream in album equivalents or whatever it is now, and so therein lies the difference and why no more gold digital 'singles' / 'tracks'?

Who cares what old gits are doing anyway at 500k level when Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and the like are having diamond hits left, right and centre? It's like Fab4 fans in the 60s looking at the sales of Caruso and smiling to themselves at how much more they were selling!

Hope you're still rocking?

Topicel
Topicel
Manager

Postby Topicel » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:13 pm

minkahed wrote:
minkahed wrote:Obviously, for the Elvis fan, this is great news, but what I find kind of baffling is what about Elvis's main catalog album titles such as:

"Elvis' Golden Records"
"G.I. Blues"
"Blue Hawaii"
"From Elvis in Memphis"
"Elvis Country"
"Aloha from Hawaii" ...

Weird ...
Well Minkahead, most who do/did care about all these issues have largely given up explaining it all as it only brings grief and dispute. At least that and, as I've just posted, the death of the physical format and old style chart and sales analysis have largely consigned me to history too. I'm too old and weary to bother with how music is consumed these days...

But seeing as you've asked about the reasoning behind physical awards (or lack of upgrades), and how I've been revisiting old stomping grounds and tired old bones to chew over on the Jackson 5 thread as a trip down memory lane, then I'll offer these opinions:

1) 'Elvis' Golden Records' was 5xP when upgraded in 1992 from the original gold in 1961 and platinum in 1988. Without checking the 6xP date (1999?) I really can't see what more you would expect it to have sold in the intervening years, when it has largely become redundant as a hits package of value. I'm sure it has sold very few since exceeding 6m.

2) 'G.I. Blues' was platinum in the original 1992 mass certification upgrade and that was never improved upon. Do you think it was higher at that time? I'm sure if you stop and think you will not be of the opinion that a dated early 60s soundtrack had any chance of adding serious numbers to that original million sales in the digital era. Or maybe you do, hence the question?!

3) 'Blue Hawaii' was what has been described as the 'archetypal' Presley soundtrack (we could call 'G.I. Blues' the 'prototype' in this regard). Therefore, when it comes to his movie era 'Blue Hawaii' is the one that gets the buys from the general public - and including 'Can't Help Falling In Love' obviously helped! So again, was 2xP in 1992 followed by 3xP (1999?) under par in your view? Would you think that since the 3xP there really is much of a market for the standalone CD still to make any difference to the multi-platinum level?

4) 'Elvis' Golden Records Vol. 3' is in the same boat as the original volume but without the 'cache' that the 50s set had. In other words, those who dig rock 'n' roll will always buy what Elvis did at the start but are unlikely to jive to Vol. 3, are they? It is not a 'must have' in the same way for rock aficionados. So the question is, do you feel it should be above two million all along? That is a different matter as again it surely hasn't sold many CDs to make a serious difference.

5) 'From Elvis In Memphis' and 'Elvis Country' are two great original albums from his 'comeback' era and they are/were more likely to stand the test of time into the digital era. But we have so many re-packages and compilations of this material that the 1969/71 versions have been pretty much overwhelmed. Have they both managed platinum now, or still stuck on gold? Is it likely that they have sold much in the 21st century? I don't think so.

6) 'Aloha From Hawaii' is confusing as it is one of those subject to RIAA rules on length and release date etc. Edu understands these things better without having to look it all up but, basically, the album is not what sells now, is it? If you want the concert experience of Elvis in 1973 then the DVD is what you get for this one. The CD sits at 5xP since the turn of the century and there it will stay for eternity I suspect, not helped by many more repackages of course.

For what it's worth, the current lot of upgrades were basically expected as Soundscan numbers told us as much. Once you realise physical albums are now as dead as physical singles became a decade or more ago then, ultimately, we have little hope of seeing many more RIAA awards for Elvis.

There is still some potential for the odd upgrade - 'A Legendary Performer Vol. 1' tells us that - but otherwise it does look like Garth Brooks will remain officially as the top album seller in the States based on the RIAA and its counting method. And there is no need to go into why that is wrong on so many fronts, is there?!

Topicel
Topicel
Manager

Postby cora » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 am

http://www.sonymusic.co.uk/news/2016-01 ... ue-to-soar
according to sony elvis is the biggest selling artist of all time with sales of more than a billion and holds the number 1 career in uk history
cora
Groupie

Postby minkahed » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:13 am

Topicel wrote:
minkahed wrote:

"Elvis' Golden Records"
"G.I. Blues"
"Blue Hawaii"
"From Elvis in Memphis"
"Elvis Country"
"Aloha from Hawaii" ...

Weird ...
Well Minkahead, most who do/did care about all these issues have largely given up explaining it all as it only brings grief and dispute. At least that and, as I've just posted, the death of the physical format and old style chart and sales analysis have largely consigned me to history too. I'm too old and weary to bother with how music is consumed these days...

But seeing as you've asked about the reasoning behind physical awards (or lack of upgrades), and how I've been revisiting old stomping grounds and tired old bones to chew over on the Jackson 5 thread as a trip down memory lane, then I'll offer these opinions:

1) 'Elvis' Golden Records' was 5xP when upgraded in 1992 from the original gold in 1961 and platinum in 1988. Without checking the 6xP date (1999?) I really can't see what more you would expect it to have sold in the intervening years, when it has largely become redundant as a hits package of value. I'm sure it has sold very few since exceeding 6m.

2) 'G.I. Blues' was platinum in the original 1992 mass certification upgrade and that was never improved upon. Do you think it was higher at that time? I'm sure if you stop and think you will not be of the opinion that a dated early 60s soundtrack had any chance of adding serious numbers to that original million sales in the digital era. Or maybe you do, hence the question?!

3) 'Blue Hawaii' was what has been described as the 'archetypal' Presley soundtrack (we could call 'G.I. Blues' the 'prototype' in this regard). Therefore, when it comes to his movie era 'Blue Hawaii' is the one that gets the buys from the general public - and including 'Can't Help Falling In Love' obviously helped! So again, was 2xP in 1992 followed by 3xP (1999?) under par in your view? Would you think that since the 3xP there really is much of a market for the standalone CD still to make any difference to the multi-platinum level?

4) 'Elvis' Golden Records Vol. 3' is in the same boat as the original volume but without the 'cache' that the 50s set had. In other words, those who dig rock 'n' roll will always buy what Elvis did at the start but are unlikely to jive to Vol. 3, are they? It is not a 'must have' in the same way for rock aficionados. So the question is, do you feel it should be above two million all along? That is a different matter as again it surely hasn't sold many CDs to make a serious difference.

5) 'From Elvis In Memphis' and 'Elvis Country' are two great original albums from his 'comeback' era and they are/were more likely to stand the test of time into the digital era. But we have so many re-packages and compilations of this material that the 1969/71 versions have been pretty much overwhelmed. Have they both managed platinum now, or still stuck on gold? Is it likely that they have sold much in the 21st century? I don't think so.

6) 'Aloha From Hawaii' is confusing as it is one of those subject to RIAA rules on length and release date etc. Edu understands these things better without having to look it all up but, basically, the album is not what sells now, is it? If you want the concert experience of Elvis in 1973 then the DVD is what you get for this one. The CD sits at 5xP since the turn of the century and there it will stay for eternity I suspect, not helped by many more repackages of course.

For what it's worth, the current lot of upgrades were basically expected as Soundscan numbers told us as much. Once you realise physical albums are now as dead as physical singles became a decade or more ago then, ultimately, we have little hope of seeing many more RIAA awards for Elvis.

There is still some potential for the odd upgrade - 'A Legendary Performer Vol. 1' tells us that - but otherwise it does look like Garth Brooks will remain officially as the top album seller in the States based on the RIAA and its counting method. And there is no need to go into why that is wrong on so many fronts, is there?!

Topicel
I completely understand what you're saying, but you're telling me as far as upgrades and certifications that "Elvis' Golden Records", "G.I. Blues", "Blue Hawaii" after 55/60 years do not merit valid increases in unit sales ?

These albums were hugely popular when first released, in fact, "G. I. Blues" was on the charts for 111 weeks, (10 weeks at number 1) and the golden record series charted again after Elvis's death for several weeks ... It just seems logical.

And as for "From Elvis in Memphis" and "Elvis Country", arguably the two best last studio albums of Elvis's career, "That's The Way It Is" goes from gold to platinum and that album surpassed those ?

Ernst Jorgensen claims in his book, "Elvis-Day by Day" that the 1975 LP "Elvis Today" sold between 300 and 400,000 units.

The album even re-charted after Elvis's death on the country charts for several weeks. Is it highly unlikely that the 1975 LP did not sell a hundred thousand more since then to at least get a gold certification ?

Even Sony/Legacy issued an expanded 2 CD version of it in 2015.

Just seems strange, to say the least ...
minkahed
Groupie

Postby borderwolf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Canada
album sales
26 march

13 (11)
Elvis Presley
40 Years On
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby Topicel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Minkahed - 'Today' is a different matter mate. It would seem to have a case for gold given the posthumous demand which, we are led to believe, was heavy for the entire catalogue.

But that would suggest RCA were indeed loose with their record keeping in 77-78 and, whilst that has been claimed by some I personally don't think it is true. They have the Colonel's infinitely detailed record-keeping to see what was selling what, and whilst his 'interest' would later become dubious I think he would have wanted to keep a weather eye on all royalties that he had a percentage interest in, don't you?

Which means all the 73-onwards albums owed royalty cheques to the Elvis Estate and himself...what we need to always do is not be suckered by the hype and reporting from that time as to the incredible sales and consider the facts and realities. What you are implying is some sort of mutual cover-up. Not impossible of course, but it is no basis to estimate sales either...

If, like me, you understand (and know) that all sales claims by all artists have huge caveats and doubts over them, then you approach Elvis' reported sales with equal skepticism. If 'Today' is between 300k-400k, I first wonder why the spread is so big? Generally Ernst was more precise, and so there has to be a reason, and to me that would be he has 'allowed' for the posthumous shipments of, say, 100k, as he knows the original sale in 1975 was around 300k.

That is one clinical answer. Another would be, does Ernst quote gross or net figures? It is unclear, but as far as the RIAA are concerned when it comes to upgrades the latter is all that matters!

If 'Today' shipped almost 400,000 it is excessive for that type of record aimed at the 70s country market, which, as we know, is where Elvis' market ended up after 'Aloha', largely due to his own choice of recordings. He was no longer considered a 'pop' artist. If you compare the C&W chart runs of his later releases then it is obvious 'Today' was probably the least successful on initial release. It would be indicative of 200-250k in 1975, would it not?

So now you can see that 100-150k posthumously is getting us into the 300-400k ballpark, and as I've said before, are they gross shipments Minkahed? It is difficult to change long-held beliefs about the sales after August 16 1977 but, from what we can tell at a distance of 40 years-plus the big draws were his hits packages (rightly and traditionally so when an artist dies) or current releases ('Moody Blue') and albums such as 'Today' were shipped but not necessarily bought...

That it rallied in the country charts in September/October is basically due to RCA having plenty of the album on hand to ship out again I'd suspect due to returns sitting in the warehouses and readily available. The same, but even more so of course, with 'From Elvis Presley Boulevard'.

I'm happy to explain further, but I find that most fans don't like to consider downgrades, so it usually isn't worth my while. Witness my efforts on the Jackson 5 UKM pages, and more generally over the years on many other threads.

As for 'That's The Way It Is', you must know it is the one concert film that has been played on TV (first aired in 1976 I believe) endlessly and, as a result, clicks with a wider audience when they saw the album in the racks. It has been re-promoted and repackaged and, for all we know, those sales have been added into its platinum award. If not, the original album on CD would have attracted folk - although you and I know it is not the 'soundtrack' it purported to be. As I pointed out before, 'From Elvis In Memphis' and 'Elvis Country' had no such support and those sessions have been harvested many times since.

Finally, you say you 'understand what I'm saying' but then go on to remain doubtful so, as I say, I wonder if you are really understanding what I wrote? Quoting the 'G.I. Blues' chart run is fine but it doesn't change what it equated to if we are to stick with what Ernst said "700,000 within just a few months". Ten weeks at number one is, arguably, less than "just a few months", is it not? As good as the soundtrack is/was for its time there was no hit single for the Yanks to latch on to, and by their nature these film albums were disposable and time-limited as the next one was but "a few months" away!

It could be 155/160 years since release and the statute of limitations on general public interest would still have run out by 1963/4 at the latest Minkahed. Do you not see that, at least? In extremis you could say the 1992 platinum award represented 1,999,999 net shipments (upgrades need to be net, not gross) and that would mean almost a potential 300% more copies had been sold in the just over thirty years since it was number one. Of course it will be nowhere near touching 2m, but that is the way to assess these things.

It makes no sense to expect a double platinum for 'G.I. Blues' in the real world...you have to remember it only went gold for $1,000,000 of wholesale shipments in March 1963 to understand that.

Finally, you mention the golden records series charting again after Elvis' death which is fine, but the 6xP surely includes that period, don't you think? The large majority of those sales will have been prior to the CD era, so again you don't have 55/60 years or whatever, you have 30-odd. It is a good annual return I would say!

Topicel
Topicel
Manager

Postby shane2167 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:12 am

hi topicel,I was wondering if you could help me with estimating sales for the Monkees using billboard charts?
your help is appreciated,thanks
shane2167
shane2167
Groupie

Postby borderwolf » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Canada
album sales
2 april

10 (13)
Elvis Presley
40 Years On
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll