R. Kelly :: Charts & Sales History

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

 

Postby Washingtonian25 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:36 am

US sales: 402,000
User avatar
Washingtonian25
Manager
 
Posts: 4579
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.

Postby thebigham » Thu May 01, 2014 9:18 pm

5/10 Billboard 200

126 147 114 20 Black Panties, R. Kelly

SoundScan estimates by oldbloke

2013: 238,000 - BLACK PANTIES - R.Kelly
2014: 167,000 - BLACK PANTIES - R.Kelly

=405,000
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby thebigham » Fri May 16, 2014 8:57 pm

5/17 Billboard 200

152 126 147 21 Black Panties, R. Kelly

SoundScan estimates by oldbloke: 408,000
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby thebigham » Wed May 28, 2014 2:10 pm

5/24 Billboard 200

158 152 126 22 Black Panties, R. Kelly

5/31 Billboard 200

199 158 152 23 Black Panties, R. Kelly
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby thebigham » Sat May 31, 2014 1:25 pm

6/7 Billboard 200

174 199 158 24 Black Panties, R. Kelly

SoundScan estimate by oldbloke: 415,000
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby thebigham » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:27 am

6/14 Billboard 200

Falls off

6/21 Billboard Current Albums:

168 145 129 26 Black Panties, R. Kelly

I thought this was going to sell enough to be certified Gold. I guess not.
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby BadMan125 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:33 am

thebigham wrote:6/14 Billboard 200

Falls off

6/21 Billboard Current Albums:

168 145 129 26 Black Panties, R. Kelly

I thought this was going to sell enough to be certified Gold. I guess not.
No hit, no promo, no sales.
"Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing..."
-- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")
User avatar
BadMan125
Legend
 
Posts: 10038
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013
Location: North Carolina, USA

Postby thebigham » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:37 am

^But it's at 419,000 copies. There was some promo, a hit and some sales!

One more...

6/21 Billboard Current Albums

197 162 197 3 The Essential R. Kelly, R. Kelly
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby BadMan125 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 am

thebigham wrote:^But it's at 419,000 copies. There was some promo, a hit and some sales!

One more...

6/21 Billboard Current Albums

197 162 197 3 The Essential R. Kelly, R. Kelly
Depends on what you call a "hit". :lol:

This album sold squarely on his name only. I don't consider "My Story" a hit. And his promo was really laughable. He had a hit but it was as a featured artist with you-know-who.
"Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing..."
-- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")
User avatar
BadMan125
Legend
 
Posts: 10038
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013
Location: North Carolina, USA

Postby skycycle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 am

It will sell enough to go Gold though, just not this year ;)
User avatar
skycycle
Manager
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010
Location: Amsterdam

Postby thebigham » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Albums today just don't sell 419,000 copies without hits or promotion.

This sold steadily when it was released. There was interest in it.

I can think of 10 albums with big hits that sold less than Black Panties.

I think this sold more than his last album.
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby BadMan125 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:25 pm

thebigham wrote:Albums today just don't sell 419,000 copies without hits or promotion.

This sold steadily when it was released. There was interest in it.

I can think of 10 albums with big hits that sold less than Black Panties.

I think this sold more than his last album.
His subject matter got their attention. The reason why Write Me Back didn't sell as well was because many didn't pay attention to his subject matter, he gets back on the freaky material, he gets a response. I just fail to see how he sold this steadily with promo when the only reason I can think of why it sold that much was because of his name and the subject matter and the attention he got from being on DWUW. I definitely think that added to it too. Otherwise, his sales have been hit or miss. Love Letter has gone gold but Untitled failed to go over 400K. Write Me Back barely did 100K but this album did 400K. Plus he doesn't have a current hit song on the album and probably has only promoted it with his tour but that's it concerning R. Kelly.
"Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing..."
-- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")
User avatar
BadMan125
Legend
 
Posts: 10038
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013
Location: North Carolina, USA

Postby skycycle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:00 pm

Write Me Back was at 253,000 2 weeks before the release of Black Panties, so it definitely sold less :)
User avatar
skycycle
Manager
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010
Location: Amsterdam

Postby BadMan125 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:02 pm

skycycle wrote:Write Me Back was at 253,000 2 weeks before the release of Black Panties, so it definitely sold less :)
Oh, it got to 250K? I didn't know that. :lol: But yeah I think the subject matter got the attention.
"Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing..."
-- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")
User avatar
BadMan125
Legend
 
Posts: 10038
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013
Location: North Carolina, USA

Postby skycycle » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:20 am

Black Panties is at 419,000 as of last week, according to oldbloke's estimates, selling around 2,000 per week 8-)
User avatar
skycycle
Manager
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010
Location: Amsterdam

Postby thebigham » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:01 pm

6/28 Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Albums

29 28 27 Black Panties - R. Kelly - RCA

SoundScan estimate by oldbloke: 421,000

36 32 4 The Essential R. Kelly - R. Kelly - Jive | Legacy
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby zuza » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:57 am

Consistent sales 8-)
User avatar
zuza
Groupie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011

Postby zuza » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:05 am

BadMan125 wrote:
thebigham wrote:Albums today just don't sell 419,000 copies without hits or promotion.

This sold steadily when it was released. There was interest in it.

I can think of 10 albums with big hits that sold less than Black Panties.

I think this sold more than his last album.
His subject matter got their attention. The reason why Write Me Back didn't sell as well was because many didn't pay attention to his subject matter, he gets back on the freaky material, he gets a response. I just fail to see how he sold this steadily with promo when the only reason I can think of why it sold that much was because of his name and the subject matter and the attention he got from being on DWUW. I definitely think that added to it too. Otherwise, his sales have been hit or miss. Love Letter has gone gold but Untitled failed to go over 400K. Write Me Back barely did 100K but this album did 400K. Plus he doesn't have a current hit song on the album and probably has only promoted it with his tour but that's it concerning R. Kelly.
Write Me Back flopped because he bailed out on promoting the album. All his fans got were two singles and some tweets. One live performance which was too late to save the album. Honestly, it was a bad move to even release that album right after Love Letter.

And I disagree with DWUW helping in anyway. DWUW was short-lived and many of the people who heard DWUW didn't know about Black Panties.

Black Panties is selling consistently due to word of mouth. Many people enjoy the album and are most likely telling others. Same thing happened with Love Letter.
User avatar
zuza
Groupie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011

Postby thebigham » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:14 pm

7/5 Billboard Current Albums

153 Re-Entry 27 Black Panties, R. Kelly

SoundScan estimate by oldbloke:

BLACK PANTIES - R.Kelly 423,000
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby thebigham » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:00 am

7/12 Billboard Current Albums

161 153 – 28 Black Panties, R. Kelly

SoundScan estimate by oldbloke:

BLACK PANTIES - R.Kelly 424,000
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby zuza » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 am

Black Panties - 427,000
User avatar
zuza
Groupie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011

Postby skycycle » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:02 pm

As of August 1: 429,000 :)
User avatar
skycycle
Manager
 
Posts: 1099
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010
Location: Amsterdam

Postby thebigham » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 pm

8/16 Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums

44 38 34 Black Panties - R. Kelly

Sales estimate by oldbloke:

BLACK PANTIES - R.Kelly 430,000

Too bad that 430k is not enough for Gold
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Postby BadMan125 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:34 pm

thebigham wrote:8/16 Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums

44 38 34 Black Panties - R. Kelly

Sales estimate by oldbloke:

BLACK PANTIES - R.Kelly 430,000

Too bad that 430k is not enough for Gold
What did you say it was, 450k, right? It probably will take a while before it gets there.
"Crime is increasing
Trigger happy policing..."
-- Marvin Gaye ("Inner City Blues")
User avatar
BadMan125
Legend
 
Posts: 10038
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013
Location: North Carolina, USA

Postby thebigham » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:30 pm

^ I doubt more copies are being shipped out. I bet some were returned to the label.

9/6 Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums

42 37 11 The Essential R. Kelly - R. Kelly

and...

Sales estimate by oldbloke

BLACK PANTIES - R.Kelly 433,000
User avatar
thebigham
Legend
 
Posts: 55157
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005

Return to Artist Chart Analysis