Image size limits and high DPI screens

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Magnus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:41 pm

So, it seems that images larger than 760 pixels in either dimension are resized (in the browser). On my computer with a normal DPI screen these two images (this is my current albums chart) should about look the same:

760 px version:

1520 px version:

The second version is then just slower to load. But on for example an iPad or my Samsung Galaxy S tablet the second version should look much sharper, so using the larger image may not be a waste after all?

Edit: For future-proofing (and zooming in...) maybe I should use even higher resolution?

2736 px version:

Magnus
Manager

Postby Affillate » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks Magnus I was about to test this to see how wide I could go by posting a 1000x1000 image. I currently have been posting 750px wide banners with no issue.

So it seems 760x760 is the limit for an as-is image size (unless you want a resized version to fit inside these parameters).
Affillate
Manager

Postby Magnus » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Affillate wrote:Thanks Magnus I was about to test this to see how wide I could go by posting a 1000x1000 image. I currently have been posting 750px wide banners with no issue.

So it seems 760x760 is the limit for an as-is image size (unless you want a resized version to fit inside these parameters).
Yay, someone replied to my 2-month old obscure post! Thanks! :D

In this day and age of high resolution screens (especially on tablets and phones) I think it makes sense to use larger images just so they will look sharper (this definitely applies to myself when I'm reading on my tablet; it bugs me a little that the avatars look much fuzzier than some other images), even though they won't be physically bigger. If I was a site administrator I would increase the height limit though (width is fine).
Magnus
Manager

Return to Test