Aretha Franklin - Greatest Hits Survivor (WINNER)

Moderators: biscuits, FreakyFlyBry

FINAL ROUND: choose your favourite song!

I Say A Little Prayer
57%
Respect
43%

Total votes : 21

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:02 pm

She was the undisputed Queen of Soul and one of the greatest female singers of all-time.

Across a career spanning more than 60 years and with many millions of records sold, she released a phenomenal 42 studio albums, 45 compilations, 6 live albums and a mighty 131 singles. Her chart career was also quite something, particularly in the US, where she charted over 100 songs on the R&B chart.

The career of American institution Aretha Franklin began in 1956 with the release of her debut album Songs of Faith, an album recorded live in her father's church at age 14. That album set the groundwork for Aretha's career, and she would revisit gospel on almost every record throughout her 60+ year career.

Aretha left behind a legacy of pure artistry & unrivalled influence and though she has now passed, she is likely to be remembered as one of the true greats in music for a very long time.

In this survivor, we will be looking at her 1998 2 disc compilation Greatest Hits - I have made one adjustment as I wanted 7 complete groups of 6 songs - I've added It Hurts Like Hell to the tracklist (which I'm sure no Aretha fan, or fan of music full stop, will have any issues with - a truly stunning song packed full of emotion).

We have 42 songs to work through, and the first 7 rounds will be broken down into 6 songs - this should make it easy for anyone who's interested in delving into the career of Aretha Franklin to really get to grips with her music via her biggest hits. Even if you're not currently a major fan, please listen to the music and join in - as I have found myself in recent days, she's an artist well worth exploring.

Disc 1

I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) (with George Michael)
Respect
I Say a Little Prayer
Think
(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
You're All I Need to Get By
Chain of Fools
Spanish Harlem
Angel
Let It Be
Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
Son of a Preacher Man
Don't Play That Song (You Lied)
Rock Steady
See Saw
Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing
Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
Save Me
The House That Jack Built
People Get Ready
Day Dreaming

Disc 2

Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves (with the Eurythmics)
A Deeper Love
What a Fool Believes
Who's Zoomin' Who
Willing to Forgive
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Freeway of Love
Border Song (Holy Moses)
Oh No Not My Baby
Call Me
Ain't No Way
(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
Baby I Love You
The Long and Winding Road
Today I Sing the Blues
Love All The Hurt Away (with George Benson)
It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be (with Whitney Houston)
Through The Storm (with Elton John)
A Rose Is Still a Rose
It Hurts Like Hell

Spoiler:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Group 1

The 42 songs have been randomly sorted into 7 groups consisting of 6 tracks apiece.

Son of a Preacher Man

This song is about a young girl who sneaks away with the preacher's son every time his dad comes to visit. This "Son of a Preacher Man" woos her and teaches her about love. He is the only boy she has ever loved. The song was written by John Hurley and Ronnie Wilkins who were asked by Jerry Wexler to write a song for Aretha Franklin. Remembering the fact that Franklin's father was a preacher, as Wilkins's grandfather had been, Hurley and Wilkins quickly came up with "Son of a Preacher Man". Wexler liked the song and recorded it with Aretha Franklin, but then decided that it did not fit with her other songs and passed the song on to Dusty Springfield for her album Dusty in Memphis. The song was recorded by Franklin's older sister Erma, who included it on her 1969 Brunswick album Soul Sister. Not till after hearing Springfield's version did Franklin reconsider; when she did release the song herself, including it on her 1970 album, This Girl's in Love with You, her version charted only as a less popular a-side of the b-side hit single "Call Me".
Think

Written by Aretha herself alongside Teddy White, who was her husband and manager, Think was primarily about freedom and respect for women (though it would take on a wider cultural meaning and its lyrics have at times also been used to celebrate triumphs in civil rights movements). Jerry Wexler, who worked with Franklin on many of her hit songs, produced this track at the Atlantic Records recording studios in New York. Members of the Muscle Shoals rhythm section played at the session. The song is also widely known as having featured in the 1980 movie The Blues Brothers starring Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi. The Blues Brothers themselves also recorded the song.
Save Me

In this song, Aretha sings about a love gone wrong. She was married at the time, but had no problem conjuring up a convincing song of heartache. The song was a rewrite of the 1966 track "Help Me" by the R&B singer Ray Sharpe and it was released as part of Aretha's groundbreaking 1967 album I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You. At this point in her life, Aretha had been signed away from Capitol Records and brought to Atlantic Records, where she was given a great deal of creative freedom by her manager Jerry Wexler.
Call Me

Not long after divorcing her husband of 8 years Terry White, Aretha wrote Call Me (which was the a side to Son Of A Preacher Man). The inspiration for the song came when Aretha saw a young couple in New York City who were clearly in love. As they parted, each said to the other, "I love you." Followed by, "Call me, the moment you get there." The song became her eighth #1 hit on the US R&B Chart and not long after becoming a hit for her, it would be covered by the legendary Diana Ross on her 1971 album Everything Is Everything.
What a Fool Believes

What a Fool Believes is a song written by Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins. The best-known version was recorded by The Doobie Brothers (with McDonald singing lead vocals) for their 1978 album Minute by Minute but Aretha would cover the song on her 1980 album Aretha. The lyrics tell a story of a man who is reunited with an old love interest and attempts to rekindle a romantic relationship with her before discovering that one never really existed.

Love All The Hurt Way, a duet with George Benson, is also the title track of Aretha's 1981 album - the album was a commercial disappointment but it did help Aretha win her 11th Grammy in the R&B categories.
The six songs

Son of a Preacher Man
Think
Save Me
Call Me
What a Fool Believes

Rank the songs in order (1 = favourite 6 = least favourite)
Wayne
Administrator

Postby DOSSOME » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:03 pm

1 Think
2 What A Fool Believes
3 Love All The Hurt Away
4 Save Me
5 Son of a Preacher Man
6 Call Me
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:15 pm

1 Think
2 Call Me
3 Son of a Preacher Man
4 What a Fool Believes
5 Love All The Hurt Away (with George Benson)
6 Save Me
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Jonathan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:37 pm

1 Think
2 Son of a Preacher Man
3 Save Me
4 Call Me
5 Love All The Hurt Away
6 What a Fool Believes
Jonathan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:50 pm

01 - Son of a Preacher Man
02 - Call Me
03 - Think
04 - What a Fool Believes
05 - Save Me
06 - Love All The Hurt Away (with George Benson)
Wayne
Administrator

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Remember when I presented one of her albums in an Album Cup, it did quite well and it was a great feeling that such beautiful music was protrayed in an ukmix hot game. Great survivor Wayne!

1 Think (amazing song!)
2 Son of a Preacher Man (another highlight)
3 Call Me (cool)
4 What a Fool Believes
5 Love All The Hurt Away (with George Benson)
6 Save Me
leomedar
Legend

Postby navi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 pm

1 Save Me
2 Son of a Preacher Man
3 Think
4 Love All The Hurt Away (with George Benson)
5 What a Fool Believes
6 Call Me
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Legend

Postby Jerz » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:29 am

1 Think
2 Call Me
3 Son of a Preacher Man
4 What a Fool Believes
5 Save Me
6 Love All the Hurt Away (with George Benson)
Jerz
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 am

1 Son of a Preacher Man
2 Call Me
3 Think
4 Love All The Hurt Away (with George Benson)
5 Save Me
6 What a Fool Believes
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Round closed.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:25 pm

With 18 points, we lose Love All The Hurt Away (with George Benson).

Group 2:

Written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, Natural Woman takes on a different meaning dependent on who you ask - some interpret its lyrics to be words of worship, some believe it's a song about having a baby and some just believe it to be a real good love song! Though it was penned by Carole (and Jerry) and though Carole would later record it, this is a similar situation to I Will Always Love You and Dolly/Whitney - it is the world class vocalist that is behind the definitive version.

I didn't learn this until the other day, but this was written by Stevie Wonder (and Clarence Paul, and Morris Broadnax)! Stevie initially recorded this song, which tells the story of a stubborn lover who refuses to let her lover go and will do whatever it takes to get him back, but he didn't do anything with it. And then in 1973, he performed the song for Aretha who did her own interpretation and released it in 1973 - it instantly became one of the biggest R&B hits of the decade.

Written by Bobby Lance and Fran Robbins, The House That Jack Built was the a side to one of her more well known hits (I Say A Little Prayer) and the song tells the story of a love that Aretha had that she neglected, betrayed and ultimately lost.

This song needs no introduction, it is the epitome of a feminist anthem! Annie said in a 1991 interview: "I woke up one morning and wrote all the words. I had a vision of it, and said to Dave that this idea needs a fantastic woman to sing it with. I'd thought of Tina Turner, and we contacted her but she found the content too feminist. But Aretha Franklin wanted to do it, and we flew to Detroit. I got along all right with her but we didn't have an immediate rapport. Aretha struck me as rather shy, a bit sad, a bit lonely. She had an entourage which I thought a bit eccentric - I wasn't used to it." I personally think it wouldn't have been quiet the same with Tina, though I'm sure it would've still been amazing!

A song penned by Aretha herself (alongside her then husband Teddy White), this uptempo R&B smash tells the story of the aftermath of a fight that resulted in her lover walking out the door. Aretha's sisters provided the backing track and one of them (Carolyn) even wrote the lyrics to the b side of this song (Ain't No Way).
Border Song (Holy Moses)

And we finish off this group with an Elton John/Bernie Taupin classic! It was Aretha who opted to include the "Holy Moses" part in the song's title - the song tells the story of a man (or woman?) who doesn't fit in and has a longing to return home. The final verse of the song was solely written by Elton and some interpret it as one that speaks against bigotry.
The Six Songs:

Border Song (Holy Moses)

Wayne
Administrator

Postby LongingHeart » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am

1 (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
2 (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
3 Border Song (Holy Moses)
4 The House That Jack Built
5 Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
6 Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves (with the Eurythmics)
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby Wayne » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 am

01 = Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
02 = Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves (with the Eurythmics)
03 = (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
04 = Border Song (Holy Moses)
05 = (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
06 = The House That Jack Built
Wayne
Administrator

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:34 pm

I've always interpreted Natural Woman to be about a sexual awakening :o

01. Border Song (Holy Moses)
02. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
03. Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
04. (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
05. Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves (with the Eurythmics)
06. The House That Jack Built
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:45 pm

2 Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
4 Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves (with the Eurythmics)
5 (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
6 The House That Jack Built
leomedar
Legend

Postby Wayne » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Any more voters?
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Jonathan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:37 pm

2 (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
4 Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
5 The House That Jack Built
6 Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves (with the Eurythmics)
Jonathan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:56 am

1 (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
2 Border Song (Holy Moses)
3 Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves (with the Eurythmics)
4 Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
5 (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
6 The House That Jack Built
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:59 am

With just 6 points, we lose The House That Jack Built.

Group 3:

It Hurts Like Hell

The Babyface penned track It Hurts Like Hell was arguably the centrepiece of the Waiting To Exhale soundtrack, and tells the story of good love gone wrong - in their review of the album, the Washington Post would write that the "album's peak moment belonged to Aretha" though the chart position doesn't reflect that with the song failing to impact the Hot 100.
Spanish Harlem

Written by Phil Spector and Jerry Leiber and originally performed by Ben E. King, Spanish Harlem tells the story of New York's rich cultural heritage and it's large Latino population - more specifically the story of a rose that grows through the concrete, yet is always shaded from the sun (the rose is a metaphor for a girl) - Aretha would go onto cover this in the early 70's and her version would reach #2 in the US chart.
Angel

Another song penned by Aretha's sister Carolyn (what a talent!), Angel tells the story of bringing that special someone into your life - it contains some of her best vocals, with quite a bit of upper chest belting throughout. It should also be noted that the song was produced by music impresario and all round legend Quincy Jones.
A Rose Is Still a Rose

Released in 1997 and forming part of an album produced by, and starring, some of the biggest stars of the day (Jermaine Dupri, Sean Combs, Lauryn Hill), this was a clear departure from her typical sound. The song itself was a feminist based one, and tells the story of a woman giving motherly advice to a younger woman who keeps getting into bad relationships and despite everything, that woman is still "a rose". Commercially, the parent album would become Aretha's final certified studio album in the US and this song would become her last top 40 hit.
Ain't No Way

Written by Aretha's sister Carolyn and recorded by Aretha in 1968 (the same year Celine Dion was born!!), Ain't No Way is arguably one of Aretha's most famous R&B ballads. It became a top 20 hit in the US and amazingly, the operatic background singing you can hear during the chorus is by a famous singer in her own right, Cissy Houston who founded R&B girl group Sweet Inspirations (who provided backing vocals).

When it comes to dream collaborations, it doesn't get much greater than this! This song, co-written by Diane Warren and Albert Hammond, was however critically panned with critics calling it an "embarrassing failure" for both acts.
The Six Songs

It Hurts Like Hell
Spanish Harlem
Angel
A Rose Is Still a Rose
Ain't No Way

Wayne
Administrator

Postby LongingHeart » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:20 am

1 Aint No Way <3

2 It Hurts Like Hell
3 Angel
4 A Rose Is Still Available Rose
5 It isn't ...
6 Spanish Harlem
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:48 pm

1. Ain't No Way
2. A Rose Is Still a Rose
3. Spanish Harlem
4. It Hurts Like Hell
5. Angel
6. It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be (with Whitney Houston)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:40 pm

01 = It Hurts Like Hell
02 = Ain’t No Way
03 = Angel
04 = A Rose Is Still a Rose
05 = It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be (with Whitney Houston)
06 = Spanish Harlem
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Jerz » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:19 pm

1 It Hurts Like Hell
2 Ain’t No Way
3 Angel
4 Spanish Harlem
5 A Rose Is Still a Rose
6 It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be (with Whitney Houston)
Last edited by Jerz on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerz
Manager

Postby DOSSOME » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:24 pm

1 It Hurts Like Hell
2 Ain’t No Way
3 Angel
4 A Rose Is Still a Rose
5 It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be (with Whitney Houston)
6 Spanish Harlem
DOSSOME
Legend

Return to Survivors