Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2017?

Anywhere
13%
Bodak Yellow
33%
Despacito
7%
Havana
20%
How Far I'll Go
No votes
I Don't Wanna Live Forever
7%
Lost on You
No votes
Redbone
7%
Scars to Your Beautiful
No votes
That's What I Like
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby Benny » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:45 am

So great to see 'Occidentali's Karma' on your list, I adore it, it will be very very high on my own year-end chart! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:31 pm

as yes, I definitely know Praying here! I think that, as a comeback and statement, it couldn't have been better. I don't listen to it too much these days because it requires a certain mood, but overall it's a very solid track
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:24 pm

Praying is among the best songs of the year <3 So shame to see it this low. It's such a beautiful, emotional song and everything I hoped for and more as her comeback single.

Occidentali's Karma is AMAZE. Still play it a lot, the ultimate feel-good song.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 am

Benny wrote:So great to see 'Occidentali's Karma' on your list, I adore it, it will be very very high on my own year-end chart! :D
Looking forward to seeing how high it is! 8-)

Carbon wrote:as yes, I definitely know Praying here! I think that, as a comeback and statement, it couldn't have been better. I don't listen to it too much these days because it requires a certain mood, but overall it's a very solid track
Good to know you enjoy it more than I do!

Fan wrote:Praying is among the best songs of the year <3 So shame to see it this low. It's such a beautiful, emotional song and everything I hoped for and more as her comeback single.

Occidentali's Karma is AMAZE. Still play it a lot, the ultimate feel-good song.
Even though I'm not too impressed with "Praying," I was really happy Kesha returned. When you see someone with that much strength, you just can't not root for them.

Happy to hear that you also like that ESC song. There's only one more entry from the contest to come.
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:11 am

My favourite ESC entry this year, a former One Direction band member, a Disney graduate, a BloodPop production, and the 'male Adele' are all in this batch.

085. IMRI - I Feel Alive

The second and highest of this year's ESC entries, the criminally overlooked "I Feel Alive" is a soaring disco-pop anthem, topped off by a beautiful falsetto from IMRI. This isn't the first time I've enjoyed an Israeli entry, but it's definitely the best entry from Israel since I started watching in 2014. It's a shame it didn't have an impact on the international charts, as it sounds like it'd fit neatly atop the American and European dance charts. It's also a shame that it flopped in the jury and public voting, as it's miles better than this year's winner, and the rest of the Top 5 (it's the best song from this year's contest, in my opinion).
Code: Select all
Overall Rating: 7.7/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #10
Play Count: 14

084. Demi Lovato - Sexy Dirty Love

Demi's been done singing about hearts ("Give Your Heart a Break," "Heart Attack") for a few years now. Sexy pop music is now her vibe, and "Sexy Dirty Love" chalks up another win for her in that department. It's not quite as salacious as "Cool for the Summer," or as tempting as "Body Say," but it's a solid, flirty, fun jam, and a clear highlight from her most recent LP. She still has one song to come, which will be a fair bit higher up.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
Play Count: 10

083. Niall Horan - This Town

I heard this at the top of the year and immediately dismissed it as the expected borefest from my least favourite member of my favourite boy band ever. Then I decided to check out Flicker shortly after its release, and somehow the earnestness of the lyrics just clicked with me. Niall is perhaps the most convincing storyteller among the 1D boys, and he puts that strength to good use on this track. And because life has a funny way of proving you wrong, the unheralded member of the former quintet is the member with the most entries this year, with two more singles to come.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #16
Play Count: 5

082. Justin Bieber & BloodPop - Friends

This is reminiscent of "Sorry," which is why it was such an easy sell. A part of me always expects Is it too late to say I'm sorry? to pop up every time the chorus comes 'round. Still, in its own right, it's a slightly above-average electro-pop song about the standard romance/break-up storyline done ad nauseam on mainstream pop radio. The production is pretty impressive on this, though, and it's the kind of song you can have on repeat and not grow weary of.
Play Count: 16

081. Sam Smith - Too Good at Goodbyes

Sam Smith is back. He has a new body, handsome beau, and has left behind much of the self-pity that accompanied his first LP. On "Too Good at Goodbyes," he narrates the tale of a break-up-to-make-up kind of relationship, where it gets easier to say goodbye each time his lover departs. The notion that routine disappointments make it easier to deal with each subsequent disappointment is one I believe to be true, so on a lyrical level I think this song is solid. Sam does a brilliant job making his background vocals here more pronounced, as it really hits home the message of the song, and helps to elevate it to an even greater climax.
Overall Rating: 7.8/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #12
Play Count: 11
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:33 pm

ouch... nothing from this batch. while I enjoy some of Demi's new songs, this ain't one of them.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 am

Carbon wrote:ouch... nothing from this batch. while I enjoy some of Demi's new songs, this ain't one of them.
Just in time for me to pull the Kesha card. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 am

080. Lady Antebellum - You Look Good

The first of only two country songs this year, "You Look Good" is a simple, inoffensive, back-and-forth flirtation. The everybody/body hook isn't anything particularly special, but it's catchy and does get lodged in your memory after a few spins.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #6

079. Kesha - Hymn

An anthem not completely unlike 2010's "We R Who We R," "Hymn" sees Kesha reaching out to those cut from a different cloth, basically transforming the word 'hymn' - a word oftentimes attached to, or included in, some religious context - and creates a non-religious moment of unity for those who aren't typically afforded the luxury of community.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 11

078. Imagine Dragons - Thunder

I have quite fond memories associated with "Thunder," as the song was a part of my Fremont experience in Las Vegas, which looked similar to this. It was quite a cool lights show, as there was lightning and thunder images to coincide with the mentions of both in the song. As for the track itself, the vocal effect used during the chorus is pretty cool, too.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #4
Play Count: 8

077. Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life (feat. The Weeknd)

"Lust for Life" is added to the ever-growing list of dramatic, dreamy, hypnotic, film-ready tracks from Lana Del Rey. The falsetto the Weeknd employs during the chorus is beautiful. On a rather random note, when Lana croons Take off all your clothes, I'm taken back to this NSFW scene from Game of Thrones.
Overall Rating: 8/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2
Play Count: 21

076. Alice Merton - No Roots

As someone who was transplanted at a young age from his place of birth to a country where he never truly felt like he fit in, the lyrics for this song are extremely relatable. Also, I've always been enamoured with the idea of being a nomad, as I feel like that is the single greatest adventure one could have on this planet. I doubt I could ever be a nomad myself, but imagine the knowledge one would gain from being a professional globe-trotter.
Play Count: 17
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am

'No Roots' is great, by far my favourite one from the last two batches. :P
Benny
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:03 pm

Hymn is unfortunately one of my least faves off Rainbow. LFL is a cool song, I just wish she'd made a better chorus. this had hit potential thanks to the Weekend, but the chorus is too slow and ruins the flow for me.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:54 am

Benny wrote:'No Roots' is great, by far my favourite one from the last two batches. :P
Knew you'd like that one! I expect it to be a fair bit higher on your year-end chart. :wink:

Carbon wrote:Hymn is unfortunately one of my least faves off Rainbow. LFL is a cool song, I just wish she'd made a better chorus. this had hit potential thanks to the Weekend, but the chorus is too slow and ruins the flow for me.
I really like the chorus. I think a faster tempo would have ruined the flow actually.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 am

075. John Mayer - Love on the Weekend

Everything about this song is so mellow and calming - the melody, the narrative of a romantic road trip, John's vocals. No matter where you are, "Love on the Weekend" manages to transport you to an oasis. For me, this is one of the best songs John's ever done.
Play Count: 15

074. Imagine Dragons - Believer

The notion that pain builds character is one I fully endorse, and the way the production really hones in on the Pain! moment of the song is a highlight for me. My only gripe with "Believer" is that I feel the chorus could have been even grander. It's still another sturdy single among their ever-growing collection, but it had the potential to be taken to stratospheric heights, as opposed to hovering among clouds.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #8
Play Count: 12

073. P!nk - Beautiful Trauma

From a Pain! hook to trauma - cue seamless transition :lol: - we have P!nk's second and final entry, "Beautiful Trauma". I must admit that there's nothing on P!nk's new LP that strikes me as a classic P!nk moment. I doubt I'll be playing any of the songs five years from now. This track traverses a road well-travelled by P!nk in the past - a tale of a dysfunctional love that provides little comfort and pleasure but feels wholly necessary - but she's done it far better before. The little ode to "Just Like a Pill" is cute, though.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #15
Play Count: 5

072. Jessie Ware - Selfish Love

With a melody draped in luxury, "Selfish Love" fits what now seems to be the 'Jessie Ware sound'. It isn't quite as stunning as "Say You Love Me," or "Wildest Moments," but it's another song that feels wholly relevant in a generation where we see so many instances of people engaging in 'selfish love'. Jessie Ware's voice on this song is gorgeous, authentically and expertly conveying equal parts remorse for playing this game that hurts both parties and nonchalance as a resigned form of acceptance that the game must be played.

071. Miranda Lambert - Tin Man

The highest ranking country song this year, "Tin Man" is a cleverly written piece where Miranda tries her utmost to convince Mr. Tin Man that there are wiser goals to pursue than opting to obtain a heart. The final verse is my favourite, where she negotiates, If you don't mind the scars, you give me your armour, and I'll give you my heart. The feels are immense and real there.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #5
Play Count: 14
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Selfish Love is wondeful <3

Beautiful Trauma is everything I hate about Pink these last years. can't even put it to words, but the song itself is just unbearable

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:45 am

Love on the Weekend is cool.

Believer grew on me a bit even though I can’t stand Imagine Dragons. :x
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 am

Lust for Life and Thunder - two both amazing songs!
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby luckyONE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
luckyONE wrote:yup. 8-) still completing my personal favorites, but this one has pretty great chances to appear VERY high. :P

I just discovered "One Foot" about two weeks ago. I didn't know Walk The Moon had a new album out since September already. I'm really digging "One Foot".
"Light My Body Up" is a nice track. :)
So is "Gorgeous" your favourite song on Reputation? How do you feel about "Getaway Car" (my fave)?-)
yes, it's definitely my fav. "Getaway car" however is definitely in my Top 5 songs off "reputation" , too. the only song i don't feel that much is "so it goes" and "end game" is not my cup of tea, either.

from your last batch i absolutely love "thunder". my favorite song imagine dragons so far. "evolve" is their best album to date IMO.
"beautiful trauma" is amazing, too. the performance at the ama's just proved once again that she is the greatest living entertainer of our times.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:09 am

Carbon wrote:Selfish Love is wondeful <3

Beautiful Trauma is everything I hate about Pink these last years. can't even put it to words, but the song itself is just unbearable
Glad you like Jessie Ware's song!

Goldmoney wrote:Love on the Weekend is cool.

Believer grew on me a bit even though I can’t stand Imagine Dragons. :x
Yeah, even if I'm not that big a fan of John Mayer as a person/public figure, I have to admit he's one of the better male acts in the industry.

SummerPeur wrote:Lust for Life and Thunder - two both amazing songs!
Happy that you appreciate those two! :D

luckyONE wrote:yes, it's definitely my fav. "Getaway car" however is definitely in my Top 5 songs off "reputation" , too. the only song i don't feel that much is "so it goes" and "end game" is not my cup of tea, either.

from your last batch i absolutely love "thunder". my favorite song imagine dragons so far. "evolve" is their best album to date IMO.
"beautiful trauma" is amazing, too. the performance at the ama's just proved once again that she is the greatest living entertainer of our times.
I don't even remember what "So It Goes" sounds like, but "End Game" I remember to be pretty solid. Glad you appreciate "Getaway Car"!

I don't know if Imagine Dragons will ever top "Demons" for me, but there is a song (still to come) on Evolve that came dangerously close! :wink:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:57 am

070. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling

With a gloriously bouncy chorus, "Cut to the Feeling" adds to the string of hit-songs-that-never-were list in Carly Rae's discography. It's not the best she's done, but mainstream radio could use a good dose of bubblegum pop music, and this should have been one of the songs to represent that now-underrepresented sub-genre. Still, I saw a lot of love for it on the Internet, so I suspect sufficient people will continue to support Carly's output to necessitate at least one more LP from the Canadian star, and I suppose that's what matters most. I love the song for expressing the impatience I think most people feel in newly established relationships, wanting to cut through all the awkward phases of the union to the good stuff, the part with the lovey-dovey, warm feels.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 22

069. Katy Perry - Swish Swish (feat. Nicki Minaj)

The Katy Perry/Nicki Minaj collaboration that was in the pipeline three years ago in 2014 finally saw the light of day in 2017, at a rather apt time as both ladies were recently involved in, and are probably still entangled in, highly publicised squabbles with other female stars. Although I think the song is strong throughout, the double highlights for me are Nicki moments: (1) the Offset line, and (2) the Don't be tryna double back, I already despise you singing bit. Shout-out to Katy, though, for releasing one of the few videos this year that reflected genuine planning and effort.
Play Count: 19

068. Big Sean - Bounce Back

One of the hip/hop highlights of the year for me, "Bounce Back" is an anthem that speaks to bouncing back from every loss with renewed vigour to claim future victories. I was pleasantly surprised that this turned out to be such a big hit for Big Sean, as I think he's one of the more underrated rap acts, and his Grammy nomination for Best Rap Performance for this track is well-deserved. There is a superior track in that category that I'm rooting for, though, but that one is obviously still a long way to come.
Play Count: 16

067. Zayn - Dusk Till Dawn (feat. Sia)

The first time I heard "Dusk Till Dawn," I thought it was such mediocrity, which was slightly surprising as I believe Zayn has proven to be a solid solo act, and Sia is one of the best female acts of this generation. Subsequent plays saw the song's big chorus inevitably resonating with me, as the post-beat-drop instrumentation and vocals really lift this song to a beautiful climax. There's a lovely vocal moment Zayn does towards the end that's quite reminiscent of the riff in "It's You," and I adore it.
Play Count: 12

066. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to Be Lonely

A deeply relevant song that speaks to our fear of loneliness sometimes leading us to seek out relationships just for the sake of having someone there, and not necessarily to form a lasting, loving bond, "Scared to Be Lonely" is a song whose lyrics I absolutely adore. For me, this is easily Martin Garrix's best song, with the thumping bass serving as a handy complement to Dua Lipa's gorgeous vocals. As for Dua Lipa, she does have one single that I prefer to this one.
Play Count: 17
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:04 am

It's all guesswork for me but I have voted for Rita.

In your outside the top 100 list, I'm here for the most pop ones.. Anastacia, Steps, Paramore (not a single here so not in my own chart), Charlie Puth and Anne Marie are ace. One for me is really strong and about a hundred places too low!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby toni_pest » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:11 am

so weird seeing a song in your countdown with only 8 plays, but im not playimg that much music either these days.

and thanks for reminding me imri exists :oops:
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Goldmoney » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 am

Swish Swish solo is amazing!
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:23 am

Yes to a Carly Gem! Cut To The Feeling deserves so much.

I hadn't heard: 066. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to Be Lonely

Cute little tune.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:25 am

You move so bloody quick. I'm too old to keep up!

I think 'Questions' is genuinely terrible.
Pink - WAU is clearly a decent song and she has a cracking vocal but I just find it a bit plain for her given what we know she can do. Starting to prefer Beautiful Trauma same as you
Wolves is cute with a pretty decent chorus hook.

Same deal as you with Mi Gente. I liked it anyway, the looping instrumental is very catchy, but Beyoncé elevates it. One of my favourite Spanish tinged songs of the year.

Love Shawn and was so glad to have a great upbeat. I don't think his voice is limited in range though, like at all. I think it's superb and the deep register is part of its appeal

Guetta with Nicki, not his best this year for me but there was a great remix I played fairly regularly. She's better on this than on Swish Swish though, if I am out and drunk I dance but otherwise I find it a bit embarrassing.

Kesha I like on record but when she did it live I wasn't impressed. Still props for addressing the issue and surprising with her comeback.

Demi, not a single so won't chart, but a decent pop song on a great mature album.
Biebs.. you're right it is very Sorry but feels a bit... cooler? I like it.

Has Sam Smith left the self pity behind? I'd not noticed.
Imagine Dragons both songs good but Believer made more of an impact.

Carly is cute, you're right not her best but great chorus,

Garrix and Dua is really beautiful, it feels too long ago to be this year but it is!

John IS last year for me but agree it's one of his best singles, certainly recently!

Zayn very hit and miss for me. This is a hit, far far better than the Taylor duet monstrosity.

But let me remind you... Niall has ALWAYS BEEN THE BEST ONE. This Town is lovely but the other two are better.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Fan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:31 am

You are going quick!!

First things first, that Irmi song was totally awful :lol: He himself made me cring so much as well, glad it did so bad in the contest.

However, I do see a lot of good songs as well! Hymn and Thunder are good, Lust For Life is simply lush.
I love Beautiful Trauma and always good to see some love for Jessie, although it's not the song she released this year for me.
Cut To The Feeling is so, so catchy. Hated Swish Swish at first, but like it a lot now. Zayn/Sia- amazing!! Martin/Dua is decent.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:21 pm

A lot of great songs already! From the songs that have missed your list, I love 'Your Song' which is just a very simple, but good pop song. Teenage Fantasy is great Jorja storytelling, Ciao Adios is super catchy and HUMBLE. is far too low. A great record that shows Kendrick's ability to let loose and have fun as well.

'Attention' is great, really impressed with what Charlie Puth is releasing this time around. 'Friends' is very catchy, despite it being a massive hit it has felt somehow less of an event than Bieber's other songs of late. Selfish Love is so smooth and Scared To Be Lonely is a massive song.
UKMusicLova
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts