JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:37 pm

65. Maggie Lindemann - Pretty girl (Cheat Codes x Cade remix)

Maggie Lindemann scored herself a massive worldwide hit with Pretty girl thanks to Cheat Codes x Cade who transformed the original midtempo pop song into a dancefloor filler.

When i first heard the remixed version of Pretty girl i was admittedly unconvinced with the song. I actually thought it was verging on trying too hard to be edgy and cool. Then i decided to listen to the original slower version that left me even more unconvinced. :lol: For me, it all seemed to clash. Cute female vocals singing swear words as if it was a nursery rhyme combined with a pure pop backing track left me somewhat puzzled.

As it goes, the remix took off on Spotify which led to the song becoming a hit in the UK. I slowly started to come round to the song and by the time the music video was released in May i was surprisingly enjoying the song (well, the remix) much more. Maggie Lindemann ended up peaking at #3 in my chart which was quite a significant improvement on where i was ranking the song only a few weeks beforehand. It remains Maggie's only hit to date in my chart but whether that changes in 2018 is left to be seen.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:05 pm

64. Ed Sheeran - Shape of you

We come to one of THE defining songs of 2017 regardless of whether you loved it or loathed it. Yes, it's the first appearance from Ed Sheeran who single handedly owned the last twelve months.

In fact it was exactly a year ago when Shape of you smashed into the UK charts at #1 before doing similarly all around the world. However, i was somewhat surprised how at popular this song became. I do like this track and indeed the music video played a crucial role in helping this song extend its chart life.

Personally, i much preferred two of Ed's other singles more.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 pm

63. Avicii featuring Sandro Cavazza - Without you

Avicii made a triumphant return back in August with the release of his Avīci (01) ep consisting of six brand new tracks. The track that stood out instantly for me was the Sandro Cavazza assisted Without you. A glorious anthemic dance anthem that was reminiscent of the big dance hits from 5/6 years ago i was totally loving this particular track.

Sandro wasn't exactly a stranger either to my chart having enjoyed a taste of success as the vocalist of Lost Frequencies single Beautiful life in 2016. However it was Without you that propelled Sandro into my top 5 whilst providing Avicii with another top 5 single.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 pm

62. Sia - Snowman

At #62 its the highest appearance for Sia. Following the announcement that Sia was releasing a christmas album entitled Everyday is christmas, it all went a bit pear shaped rather quickly. The lead single Santa's coming for us failed to really click with me, and even the release of a music video didn't help boost the song for me either.

Luckily it wasn't all a disaster as Sia released Snowman as a promo single and after listening to the song, it clicked instantly. Sia's vocals on the track are so smooth, warm and incredibly gorgeous and i loved how the song captured the spirit of traditional christmas songs of the 50s and 60s.

In the build up to christmas Snowman had a successful run in my chart peaking at #4 although once christmas day had been and gone, this snowman had well and truly melted. :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38 pm

61. Selena Gomez featuring Gucci Mane - Fetish

Following the appearance of Wolves (#72), Selena Gomez gets her second entry at #61 with the truly hypnotic Fetish.

After a rather underwhelming start with Bad liar, i was completely won over when i first listened to Fetish with its dreamy atmospheric production. The song was first released with a rather curious music video which was one continuous shot of Selena's lips which i found oddly interesting to watch. I think part of the reason was because the whole time i was anticipating something unexpected about to happen, until i got to the end and realised that the lips was pretty much it. :lol:

An official music video was released a couple of weeks later which was just as bizarre to watch. Although sometimes its the odd videos that tend to leave the biggest impression. As was the case in my chart when Fetish got to #2 becoming Selena's highest charting single...but not her most successful. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:17 pm

60. Shawn Mendes - There’s nothing holdin’ me back

Up until a year ago Shawn Mendes had never really excited me with his music. Whilst i did enjoy listening to his singles, none of them really made me sit up and pay attention.

So imagine my surprise the first time i checked out There’s nothing holdin’ me back. I didn't know what to expect but i gathered it'd sound similar to both Stitches and Treat you better. However, the pace of this song somehow managed to get my head bopping along. :lol:

I do remember when Shawn first emerged a few years back and it was his accent in his singing voice that i found slightly off putting. In this instance it was a pleasant surprise and There’s nothing holdin’ me back went from becoming a slow burning earworm into a really great pop song. The single received a nice little boost following the release of the music video and peaked at #5 in my chart becoming quite comfortably Shawn's biggest hit in my chart.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:26 pm

59. Ed Sheeran - Galway girl

We've already seen Shape of you (#64) and up next its Ed Sheeran's second entry Galway girl.

The whole release of ÷ was astonishing, and Ed achieved a feat that i honestly never thought would be possible. Every single track off the album made the UK top 20 in its first week of release. :o

Usually when any artist releases a new album there's that one track that the majority tend to latch onto. In this instance it was Galway girl that appeared to enjoy the biggest boost following the album release. I don't know whether it had already been confirmed as an official single, but this song took off instantly both on iTunes and Spotify. Well, it was easily the highest ranked album track anyways. :P

No surprise that Galway girl went to #1 in Ireland but in the UK it just couldn't overhaul the ongoing, but increasingly mystifying, success of Shape of you in the UK. Nonetheless, i prefer Galway girl much more, probably because it was less in my face throughout 2017. :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:38 pm

58. David Guetta featuring Justin Bieber - 2u

Whilst Ed Sheeran was busy being an omnipresence throughout 2017, Justin Bieber was busy being a featured vocalist on a string of hit singles.

When i first discovered that David Guetta was releasing a new track with the Bieber, i wasn't really sure what to expect. David Guetta hadn't had a significant hit in my chart since Dangerous in late 2014. So my expectations for this song weren't particularly high, in truth i expected to find myself listening once and forget the song quickly afterwards.

Instead, i was majorly impressed the first time i checked out 2u. The one thing i loved the most about this track was the melody in the track between verse and chorus. Also the dubstep-esque "drop" in the song packed a punch and sounded much stronger than other similar style songs where the "drop" tends to fall flat. I even compared the instrumental parts of 2u to those soundbites that you hear in computer games. So overall i ended up enjoying this song a lot more than i anticipated, and 2u provided David Guetta with a #3 hit.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm

57. Marshmello featuring Khalid - Silence

At #57 its the final appearance from Marshmello following Wolves (#72). However, its the first of three appearances from Khalid who became a dominant force in 2017.

Silence was a sleeper hit for me initially. I first listened to the track on YouTube and thought it was alright but then swiftly moved on. All the while, the track was building up to becoming one of the biggest dance hits of the year. Finally the song suddenly clicked and for once it wasn't thanks to a music video boost. I just found myself listening to Silence more, then going back for repeated listens. Silence peaked at #4 in my chart back in September.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:59 pm

56. London Grammar - Rooting for you

The highest entry in my chart of 2017 from London Grammar is at #56 with Rooting for you. This track kickstarted the second era off to an amazing start after getting released on the 1st January 2017 and entering my chart at #3 the following weekend.

I was so excited at the prospect of new music from London Grammar, and the guys really delivered. Rooting for you is such a hauntingly beautiful track that, like most of their other tracks, never fails to give me goosebumps. It's a truly amazing song and i loved how London Grammar mixed things up for the music video.

Unlike the studio version, Hannah sings the first verse and chorus entirely acapella without any musical accompaniment. The emphasis is solely on those vocals; so deep, so angelic, so powerful and so incredible. The song becomes lifted as the band kick in for the second verse and the whole performance is mesmerising until the very end.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm

55. Eminem featuring Beyoncé - Walk on water

Every year there is a track that sees me comfortably in the minority group. Walk on water is surely that song from 2017.

Released in November, there was so much expectation for this song to succeed. After all, it was going to be Eminem's big comeback single and he was bringing Beyoncé too. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, i thought it was brilliant. :P I thought it was brave to introduce Revival with what is essentially a piano ballad. Perhaps this is what led to confusion amongst others. Why would Eminem spit raging rhymes all over a beautiful piano melody? Well, why not? :lol: Beyoncé's brought the diva vocals to really lift the chorus and some truly lush vocals for the middle 8. But no...nobody else was having any of it. Meanwhile, i paid close attention to the lyrical content. Especially as Eminem has always had a natural ability to write amazing thought provoking lyrics, and i personally thought Walk on water was no different.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

54. P!nk - Where we go

P!nk gets her fourth appearance at #54 with Where we go which stood out instantly after checking out all the tracks from Beautiful trauma.

Its no wonder why P!nk has continued to remain so successful 17 years into her music career. As mentioned already, P!nk strives to push herself and constantly tries to evolve as an artist, attempting things no other pop act would consider.

Of course all the success is backed up with amazing songs. Where we go got off to a flying start getting to #2 off the back of the album release. If any track from Beautiful trauma deserves to be a future single, this is that track. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm

"New Year's Day" is one of the weakest Reputation tracks. I do need to give it a few more spins, though. I doubt my opinion will change, but you never know.

I haven't been fussed with P!nk this past year. I thought the AMA performance was well within her wheelhouse of acrobatic stunts, and I would have preferred something a bit more...straightforward and tame actually. The song itself is decent, as is its video, but P!nk is much better than decent.

I love the album version of "Move Your Body". It's so big and wild. "Shape of You" is probably Ed's third finest single. I enjoyed it. The music video is also really good.

"Fetish" is good, one of Selena's better singles. "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" is one of Shawn's better recent efforts. I don't know if he'll ever eclipse "Stitches" for me, though. "Galway Girl" is an album highlight, as is "Where We Go".

You put arguably the most talented rapper ever and complement him with arguably the most talented female singer of this generation and "Walk on Water" happened? It just did not compute.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:00 pm

53. Jamiroquai - Automaton

Well, who saw this coming? :D

Back in January, Jamiroquai released their first new single in six years with the fascinating Automaton. The music video was what caught my attention when it started trending on YouTube. I recognised the name Jamiroquai but i hadn't exactly listened to any of their songs for a long time. I was intrigued because the screenshot looked cool, but more impressively the video had already attracted almost one million views in its first couple of days. :o

Who knew Jamiroquai would be delivering electro disco pop funk goodness in 2017? Whilst i only remember a small handful of their 90s songs, Automaton really couldn't be more Jamiroquai if it tried. It just sounded like they'd taken their 90s sound and made it bolder and beefier. It's almost Daft Punk-esque which helped sell the song to me. So much so that within a week of release, i bought the track on iTunes and it got to #2 in my chart. :D

Such a shame the single went completely unnoticed in the UK because its a brilliant track. As for the music video, who wouldn't want one of those flashy helmets? Best of all is the misheard lyric I'M A TOMATO :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

On the first listen ''Automation'' sounded like old Jamiroquai made a collaboration with The Chemical Brothers. It's really fun and would have been a relatively big hit back in the day
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"New Year's Day" is one of the weakest Reputation tracks. I do need to give it a few more spins, though. I doubt my opinion will change, but you never know.

I haven't been fussed with P!nk this past year. I thought the AMA performance was well within her wheelhouse of acrobatic stunts, and I would have preferred something a bit more...straightforward and tame actually. The song itself is decent, as is its video, but P!nk is much better than decent.

I love the album version of "Move Your Body". It's so big and wild. "Shape of You" is probably Ed's third finest single. I enjoyed it. The music video is also really good.

"Fetish" is good, one of Selena's better singles. "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" is one of Shawn's better recent efforts. I don't know if he'll ever eclipse "Stitches" for me, though. "Galway Girl" is an album highlight, as is "Where We Go".

You put arguably the most talented rapper ever and complement him with arguably the most talented female singer of this generation and "Walk on Water" happened? It just did not compute.
I've still not heard the majority of Reputation. :oops: If only the songs were on YouTube so that i could listen properly and decide on my favourites. New year's day was one of the few songs readily available to listen to, and that also helped Taylor score another top 3 single.

Aww, i have been really impressed with most of P!nk's output since What about us came out. Let's just pretend that Revenge never happened :lol:

I also prefer the original Move your body. Oh i totally agree that the music video really helped boost Shape of you in my chart. I still think he's done much better though over the years.

Great to see your thoughts on Selena, Shawn, Ed and P!nk's tracks. Whilst i really enjoyed Fetish, its not Selena's biggest hit from 2017 even though it achieved a lower peak overall.

LOL :lol: i really liked Walk on water and in the end, it didn't put a dampener on the whole album campaign. You just need to inject a bit of Sheeran into the song to get a bonafide hit. :P :lol: Looks like River will be the UK #1 next Friday although i personally still prefer Walk on water even over the Ed collaboration.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:16 pm

heppolo wrote:On the first listen ''Automation'' sounded like old Jamiroquai made a collaboration with The Chemical Brothers. It's really fun and would have been a relatively big hit back in the day
I got very strong Daft Punk vibes but i can imagine The Chemical Brothers producing something similar. Although i only know some of their bigger hits from the late 90s/early 00s.

I agree that Automaton is fun when watching the music video. :lol: That really helped the song to stand out. Yes, i reckon had it been released in the early to mid 00s it could easily have been a top 10 hit.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:42 pm

52. Lana Del Rey featuring The Weeknd - Lust for life

Lana Del Rey returned in spectacular style with the release of her fourth studio album Lust for life. One of my absolute favourite albums of 2017, thirteen of the tracks successfully entered my weekly chart. One of those songs being the title track which was released as the second single in April.

Teaming up with The Weeknd, Lust for life got to #2 following its release. The song continues the theme of dreamy atmospheric pop that Selena Gomez also captured with Fetish. Lana and Abel Tesfaye make an exceptional dream team following their work together on The Weeknd's albums Starboy and Beauty behind the madness.

I additionally love the 60s chic throwback style that runs throughout the track. There's something incredibly sexual and sensual about this track. Lust for life marks the first of three entries for Lana Del Rey in my chart of 2017.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:32 pm

51. Charlie Puth - How long

Charlie Puth has proven to be one of the more successful male artists in my chart since 2015. Going into 2017, Charlie switched things up and moved into funky pop territory with the release of his first two singles from his forthcoming album Voicenotes.

How long was the second of those singles and the first single to appear at #51. Released in October, i was interested in hearing what Charlie had to offer coming off the back of the rather brilliant Attention. The immediate impact was strong and How long got to #4 in my chart just 24 hours after its release.

The music video was released a fortnight later helping the single to stabilise in my chart. Admittedly, the music video does start to get a bit tiresome after a few views as its basically Charlie daddy dancing throughout and nothing particularly exciting happens. :lol: Well, unless you count floating in the air but sadly Harry Styles pulled off that trick earlier in the year. :P

Still, its an enjoyable bop and i'm curious to discover what the rest of Voicenotes is going to sound like.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:46 pm

50. Eminem featuring Alicia Keys - Like home

As we enter the halfway point of this countdown we find my final #1 of 2017. I've already posted in several threads how much i like Revival and the album contains a number of great track, plus some excellent highlights.

Like home featuring Alicia Keys ended up being victorious as my overall favourite track off Revival. Eminem is at his absolute best on this track whilst Alicia Keys delivers her wonderful vocals with such an amazing chorus. This is also one of those rare album tracks where i can imagine exactly what the music video could potentially look like. It'd be one expensive looking video no less. :lol: Yes, Eminem would dress up as Donald Trump too. :P

Surprisingly i've managed to find this track on YouTube...and it's not clickbait. Chances are it'll be removed eventually but for the time being enjoy. 8-)

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm

49. Luis Fonsi featuring Daddy Yankee & Justin Bieber - Despacito

What makes a song truly phenomenal?

Well, its hard to believe but its now a year since Despacito was released. Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee struck gold when this single became an instant success in Spain, Portugal and across southern America. Everything was going great and then Justin Bieber got involved. I'm unsure exactly how it all came about but two months after the original Despacito was released, a new remixed version featuring Justin Bieber was released, complete with an english language verse to no doubt make the song more assessable.

Sure enough, Despacito became more than just a spanish song. This was the start of a major pop phenomenon happening and i would never have predicted this at the start of 2017. Then again, that's usually what makes these type of songs so spectacular. It's the unpredictability of it all. I'm pretty sure twelve months ago nobody thought reggaeton music would be flavour of the year, yet that's precisely what happened.

Despacito is such a joyous song regardless of which version you listen to. It's the sound of sunshine and summer. The type of song that makes you want to put those sunglasses on and just chill by the side of the swimming pool with a few cocktails on standby. :lol:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 pm

"Lust for Life" is indeed sensual. Lana enlisted the right guy to help bring the song to life.

"Despacito" is more of a club anthem for me, perhaps because that's the setting where the song was best brought to life for me. The chorus is so catchy. Bieber's contribution to the remix might be the best thing he's done in his career.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:52 am

51. Charlie Puth - How long

Ugh! So close to that Top50 Charlie :cry: :cry: . I really enjoy this song a lot, I think he has such a bright future.

ADORE Lust For Life. However I wish the feature wasn't The Weekend TBH. (Sorry if that ruffles any feathers).

Such a fantastic song as well! I only recently discovered them through a friend, but they are great! :D
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:33 am

JSparksFan wrote:"Lust for Life" is indeed sensual. Lana enlisted the right guy to help bring the song to life.

"Despacito" is more of a club anthem for me, perhaps because that's the setting where the song was best brought to life for me. The chorus is so catchy. Bieber's contribution to the remix might be the best thing he's done in his career.
Lana Del Rey and The Weeknd really do deliver when they work together. It'd be amazing if they teamed up and recorded an album together. Getting two fan bases to unite would potentially give both acts their biggest album to date, if such an album was to ever happen.

Ahh yes, i remember you posting in your chart thread about Despacito while you were on holiday. It does sound like the perfect soundtrack for holidaymakers. I described the song as the Macarena of the 00's but instead of having a silly dance routine, it had Justin Bieber instead. :lol: I agree that chorus is so catchy but for me it's the post chorus that i especially love.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:39 am

SummerPeur wrote:51. Charlie Puth - How long

Ugh! So close to that Top50 Charlie :cry: :cry: . I really enjoy this song a lot, I think he has such a bright future.

ADORE Lust For Life. However I wish the feature wasn't The Weekend TBH. (Sorry if that ruffles any feathers).

Such a fantastic song as well! I only recently discovered them through a friend, but they are great! :D
Aww, #51 is still an excellent placing in my top 100 of 2017. :wink: Plus, Charlie still has Attention to come. I said back in 2015 that Charlie Puth would have a bright future and so far he's delivered the goods. Well, apart from that recent Boyz II Men song that was released only because i found it a bit too sickly sweet but also kinda boring to listen to. :oops:

Lust for life is gorgeous. I've loved all the visual elements from this era. The idea of turning the Hollywood sign into an apartment is genius. Lana brought the glitz and the glamour. I still find it hilarious the way people reacted to her album cover "but she's smiling?". :lol: :P

I've loved London Grammar since 2013 when Wasting my younger years was released. I just adore Hannah's vocals, i don't think London Grammar would work if they opted for another female singer who lacks the depth and character that i hear in Hannah's voice.
JakeP
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts