Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2018: [80-76]

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2018?

Breathin
25%
Fall in Line
No votes
God Is a Woman
50%
Good Form
No votes
Have It All
8%
I'll Never Love Again
8%
Raining Glitter
8%
Rocket
No votes
Sanctify
No votes
With You
No votes

Total votes : 12

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:35 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, he has a great body. The lighting isn't terrific on this one, but you might appreciate this video.
:o Thank you! The song itself makes a pretty great impression too.

JSparksFan wrote:My feelings about JT are not mixed anymore, but I try to separate the art from the artist...to the extent that I can. I will say, however, that the more I grew to love Janet, the less mixed my feelings about JT became. (And I'm not even gonna bring Britney into the convo).
:lol: Noted (and totally understandable).

• That sextastic "She Loves Control" single art is a painful reminder of all the squandered potential :cry: How did that era become SUCH a damn mess after two big hits?
• Speaking of Camila, I don't think I've seen much love for "All These Years" from fans/people in general, so its Top 200 placement here is a pleasant surprise!
• "Party For One" struck me as somewhat underwhelming at first (by Carly's usual sky-high standards, anyway), but it's really stuck with me over the past month or so. I'm still boppin' along much more than I would've initially expected.
• I moved on from Golden Hour too quickly, but I remember "Rainbow" being among its better half. Definitely a lovely closer.
• I owe your chart for alerting me to the release of "Headlights," and I'm still pretty hooked on it!
• Calum is SUCH a cutie! He was the opening act for a show I saw this summer, and he was PAINFULLY charming during his brief stint on stage. <3
• Speaking of painfully, I'm clenching my heart at the sight of "Stop Me From Falling" falling below the Top 100 :cry: Granted, I vaguely recall you being unenthused with it until the video dropped, so that might've just been too little too late. It'll probably be my No. 1. :lol:
• Ditto for "Bloom" (minus the video stuff, since I'm not sure if that clip made any difference for you).
• Like "All These Years," "Lucky Escape" is another worthwhile album track I don't see mentioned enough.
• Ooh..."Little Things" landing this high has certainly turned my mood around, though :D No. 106 feels like a true triumph for that one! Well beyond what I would've dared to hope.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby toni_pest » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:47 pm

troye sivan - youth :lol: i get you tho
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Erotica » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 pm

From first two batches I enjoy:
220. Backstreet Boys - Don't Go Breaking My Heart
215. Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off
213. DoReDoS - My Lucky Day
212. Christine and the Queens - Damn, dis moi
208. Eminem - Stepping Stone
204. Waylon - Outlaw in 'Em
202. Alexander Rybak - That's How You Write a Song
199. Mikolas Josef - Lie to Me
196. Cesar Sampson - Nobody but You
187. Surie - Storm
186. Eminem - Greatest
184. Justin Timberlake - Filthy
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:09 am

OMG how unlucky that "Nervous" ended up missing the Top 100 by one single spot :(

It's great to see "Say Something" outside the Top 100 though. It's so overrated. The album itself isn't bad, though.

Love to see a few Troye Sivan and Eurovision appearances even though including Surie seems to be a bit randon

Hope (and expect) Ariana to smash.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby leomedar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:45 am

150. Shawn Mendes - Lost in Japan: I skipped it back when it was originally released, but discovered it with the new video and find it very good. I dont like his voice but the song is catchy and cute.

139. Camila Cabello - Never Be the Same: nice little pop song.

135. Justin Timberlake - Say Something (feat. Chris Stapleton): great track, doomed because of the album imo

131. Ella Mai - Trip: nice new artist

129. Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For You: good one

118. Kylie Minogue - Stop Me from Falling : a highlight of the year imo

116. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss: hot!

115. Demi Lovato - Sober: loved this, despite my usual hate towards Demi

106. Allie X - Little Things: a great artist
leomedar
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:45 am

Benny wrote:124. Backstreet Boys - Chances

Nice song, makes me impatient to wait for the new BSB album.
"Chances" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" were both solid/decent, so I, too, might check out their new LP when it's released.

phoenix98 wrote: :o Thank you! The song itself makes a pretty great impression too.
Yeah, his music is decent sometimes.

phoenix98 wrote:• That sextastic "She Loves Control" single art is a painful reminder of all the squandered potential :cry: How did that era become SUCH a damn mess after two big hits?
The era was cursed after she threw "Crying in the Club" away like it was trash. :cry: #Justice4CITC #FlopsDeserveLauvToo

phoenix98 wrote:• Speaking of Camila, I don't think I've seen much love for "All These Years" from fans/people in general, so its Top 200 placement here is a pleasant surprise!
It was a pretty clear standout from spin #1 for me.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Party For One" struck me as somewhat underwhelming at first (by Carly's usual sky-high standards, anyway), but it's really stuck with me over the past month or so. I'm still boppin' along much more than I would've initially expected.
Yeah, I think it was released too close to the finalisation of this countdown for it to have much time to grow on me.

phoenix98 wrote:• I moved on from Golden Hour too quickly, but I remember "Rainbow" being among its better half. Definitely a lovely closer.
Aw, really? I thought that album was one of the best of the year!

phoenix98 wrote:• I owe your chart for alerting me to the release of "Headlights," and I'm still pretty hooked on it!
Glad we're doing our part to keep Leona lightly relevant more than a decade since her debut.

phoenix98 wrote:• Calum is SUCH a cutie! He was the opening act for a show I saw this summer, and he was PAINFULLY charming during his brief stint on stage. <3
Aw, cute that you got to see him live. Did he perform "No Matter What"? If not, you should definitely check out the music video.

phoenix98 wrote:• Speaking of painfully, I'm clenching my heart at the sight of "Stop Me From Falling" falling below the Top 100 :cry: Granted, I vaguely recall you being unenthused with it until the video dropped, so that might've just been too little too late. It'll probably be my No. 1. :lol:
You and this verb. :lol:

Also, lemme scream at you revealing your likely #1 so early. :lol: Honestly, "Stop Me from Falling" ended up significantly higher than it would have been. Its old rating would have sent it back at least 80 places.

phoenix98 wrote:• Ditto for "Bloom" (minus the video stuff, since I'm not sure if that clip made any difference for you).
Yeah, the "My My My!" video had more of an impact on me than the "Bloom" video.

phoenix98 wrote:• Like "All These Years," "Lucky Escape" is another worthwhile album track I don't see mentioned enough.
I'm no stranger to appreciating unheralded deep cuts.

phoenix98 wrote:• Ooh..."Little Things" landing this high has certainly turned my mood around, though :D No. 106 feels like a true triumph for that one! Well beyond what I would've dared to hope.
Yeah, it grew on me pretty late, but just in time to secure a half-decent ranking!

toni_pest wrote:troye sivan - youth :lol: i get you tho
Mess. I hate making typos. :lol:

Erotica wrote:From first two batches I enjoy:
220. Backstreet Boys - Don't Go Breaking My Heart
215. Benjamin Ingrosso - Dance You Off
213. DoReDoS - My Lucky Day
212. Christine and the Queens - Damn, dis moi
208. Eminem - Stepping Stone
204. Waylon - Outlaw in 'Em
202. Alexander Rybak - That's How You Write a Song
199. Mikolas Josef - Lie to Me
196. Cesar Sampson - Nobody but You
187. Surie - Storm
186. Eminem - Greatest
184. Justin Timberlake - Filthy
Glad you appreciate those! I think it may have been your chart that prompted me to check out "Don't Go Breaking My Heart".

Mainshow wrote:OMG how unlucky that "Nervous" ended up missing the Top 100 by one single spot :(

It's great to see "Say Something" outside the Top 100 though. It's so overrated. The album itself isn't bad, though.

Love to see a few Troye Sivan and Eurovision appearances even though including Surie seems to be a bit randon

Hope (and expect) Ariana to smash.
Yeah, if this were the cute video countdown, Shawn would be #1, though!

I didn't listen to JT's album actually.

I think I may have been drawn to the Surie song because of what happened during her performance.

We'll have to wait and see! :wink:

leomedar wrote:150. Shawn Mendes - Lost in Japan: I skipped it back when it was originally released, but discovered it with the new video and find it very good. I dont like his voice but the song is catchy and cute.

139. Camila Cabello - Never Be the Same: nice little pop song.

135. Justin Timberlake - Say Something (feat. Chris Stapleton): great track, doomed because of the album imo

131. Ella Mai - Trip: nice new artist

129. Liam Payne & Rita Ora - For You: good one

118. Kylie Minogue - Stop Me from Falling : a highlight of the year imo

116. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss: hot!

115. Demi Lovato - Sober: loved this, despite my usual hate towards Demi

106. Allie X - Little Things: a great artist
Glad you appreciate "Lost in Japan"! It grew off of me a bit, but I think I'll always consider it one of Shawn's finest songs.

"Never Be the Same" gets a bit high vocally for me (and for Camila :lol: ) but it's not bad. I think Ella Mai is overrated, but "Trip" is easily my favourite from the songs I've heard from her.

"For You" was a grower! "One Kiss" was pretty instant. Honestly, I didn't check out "Sober" until the news broke of Demi's relapse.

Yeah, I think I have to give Allie X more attention next year. She came on late for me this year, so didn't get the love she deserved.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 am

All right, it's time for the main show! :D

As I did in the previous year, a good faith effort was made this year to listen to acts and artists outside of my typical music library demographic, but in the end I think I ended up falling back into the (dangerous) good ol' faithful pattern. Still, even at my most predictable, there's still a tonne of variety and immeasurable talent to share, so I hope you guys enjoy the countdown, and maybe find a new song that you really like since that's one of the main reasons we do these year-end countdowns. [/end of preamble]

In this first mainstream-leaning set, we have three big chart hits, a mid-tier commercial success, and a bona fide flop.

100. Bebe Rexha - Meant to Be (feat. Florida Georgia Line)

The only entry for both Bebe Rexha and Florida Georgia Line, "Meant to Be" appeared on my radar thanks to its ascent into the US top 10, which meant I had to give it the obligatory spin for my 'Your Billboard Top Ten' game (shameless plug). It had a rather uneventful chart run on my daily top 20, debuting at #6 in March, and never reappearing (it looks set to return today, though, and at a new peak no less - better late than never). Still, I thought it good enough for the main show because it's a cute, accessible song that I could easily picture a group of people singing along with as they blast it from their pick-up truck radio speeding down a long, empty highway (and, yes, I know it's an easy image to conjure considering the single cover art, the lyrics, and the music video).
Code: Select all
Quality Rating: 8/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #6
Play Count: 14

099. Martin Garrix - Ocean (feat. Khalid)

Songs about the power of love overcoming every obstacle in its path are most definitely cliché at this point, but I still like them, and that easily digestible message, paired with that beautiful vocal highlight from Khalid in the chorus where he accesses his upper register to produce the song's most tender moment, made this song an instant hit on my chart, where it eventually got to the top spot (and even stayed in the top 5 for a few days). This is the last we'll be seeing of Martin Garrix, but Khalid still has two more tracks to come.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 20

098. Calvin Harris & Sam Smith - Promises

Some of this song's lyrics perfectly capture my relationship with pop music: I make no promises, I can't do golden rings, but I'll give you everything tonight. Magic is in the air, there ain't no science here, so come get your everything tonight. Sometimes it's not about deep, layered, thought-provoking meaning, but rather a catchy melody that doesn't masquerade as anything more than that; this is simple dance-pop music done well, featuring one of Sam's most listenable vocal performances of his career. I remember seeing the pairing on paper the first time and fearing what I was getting myself into, but this was a good collaboration. It's the first and last time we'll be seeing the pair.
Play Count: 16

097. Zedd, Maren Morris, & Grey - The Middle

From one DJ with a fairly big vocalist, to multiple DJs with a fairly big vocalist - didn't I promise variety in this countdown? Much like "Promises", this song is fairly simple in structure, though I do think the tick-tock in the chorus is a noteworthy highlight, as are Maren's hugely impressive vocals that shine even on a dance track like this. Also worth mentioning is the fact that this is a 'clean', 'complete' dance song, with no unnecessarily bombastic sounds that drown out the vocals, or instrumental-only hooks. It's nice to have dance music actually fleshed out in a post-Chainsmokers world. It's the only entry for all parties involved.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2

096. Toni Braxton - Long as I Live

Keeping within the vein of the break-up theme characterising its parent album, "Long as I Live" reflects on a relationship that's soured, but whilst Toni's ex-lover has casually moved on, she hasn't quite reached that stage as yet. The lyrical highlight on "Long as I Live" was obvious to me early on: If you can't be with the one you love, do the two-step with the one you're with. Some might fairly interpret it to mean that you should 'settle' with a rebound if one of the great love affairs of your life falls apart, but I like to think it to mean that we should appreciate the company of someone who cares for us and appreciates our qualities - good and bad - as opposed to unjustly comparing them to the predecessor. 'Do the two-step' with them until maybe some of those intense, passionate feelings that highlighted your previous union start to appear. There's a lot made about R&B being a dying genre because of its artists' inability to adapt to changing times, but this was a clear case of quality, contemporary R&B with a fresh production being served by a known name in the music industry, and basically no one caring for it. As you might have suspected, this isn't Toni's final appearance; she'll appear twice more.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #4
Play Count: 25
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 am

Good, 'Long As I Live' is average and definitely overrated.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 am

A little late to your party, but I'm already disappointed by that poll and I am sure you know why :lol:

Sucks that Bloom just missed the top 100 cut, but I'm still hopeful Troye will appear later in your list.

I feel like Meant To Be and The Middle were average - which come to think of it makes the MIddle a perfect moniker for the song, but happy to see Ocean squeaked in.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:50 pm

JSparksFan wrote:The era was cursed salvaged after she threw "Crying in the Club" away like because it was trash. #FlopsDeserveLauvToo
8-) Exactly.

I love the (unintentional?) Lauv shout-out too!

JSparksFan wrote:Aw, cute that you got to see him live. Did he perform "No Matter What"? If not, you should definitely check out the music video.
Not gonna lie, his songs all blurred together a bit at the time :oops: "Dancing On My Own" aside, obv. I was more struck by his cute comments/touching coming-out story/general adorableness.

"No Matter What" is ringing bells (it must've been the song he introduced with his coming out story), and that video certainly gives me the feels. :cry:

JSparksFan wrote:You and this verb. :lol:
:lol: OMG. I definitely meant "clutching." "CLUTCHING my heart..."

JSparksFan wrote:Also, lemme scream at you revealing your likely #1 so early. :lol: Honestly, "Stop Me from Falling" ended up significantly higher than it would have been. Its old rating would have sent it back at least 80 places.
Ha, well...I probably won't do a proper countdown here, and I figured that was an easy way to illustrate the vastness in difference between our appreciation for that song :cry: Granted, there's still a few weeks left for songs to rack up points (I align mine with the calendar year), and I haven't done any proper calculations since June, but SMFF stands as my most-played song of 2018 thus far.

JSparksFan wrote:
toni_pest wrote:troye sivan - youth :lol: i get you tho
Mess. I hate making typos. :lol:
Clearly a Freudian slip/wishful thinking regarding Shawn's sexuality. ;)

• "Meant To Be" was the first (and still only) offering of Bebe's to really catch my ear. I cringe every time I see Billboard call it "the biggest country hit ever," though, since the modern Hot Country Songs chart uses a COMPLETELY different methodology than it did pre-2012. :roll:
"...one of Sam's most listenable vocal performances..." :lol: I was a bit surprised by how massive this got in the UK, but I guess Calvin's no stranger to smashing there.
• Ha, this was a slightly DJ-heavy start to your Top 100, wasn't it? Not that I mind any of these scrumptious sirs! "Tick-tock" makes SO much more sense, but for some reason it always made me think of the turn signal sound in a car. Specific sound effects aside, "The Middle" is easily my favorite of the first five, and guaranteed a spot inside my Top 50. You HAD to shoe-horn in a random swipe at The Chainsmokers, though, eh? ;)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 pm

These are enjoyable too:
160. Troye Sivan - What a Heavenly Way to Die
159. Florence + the Machine - Big God
157. Florence + the Machine - Hunger
143. Eminem - The Ringer
142. Eminem - Lucky You (feat. Joyner Lucas)
141. Troye Sivan - Seventeen
135. Justin Timberlake - Say Something (feat. Chris Stapleton)
124. Backstreet Boys - Chances
114. Take That - Out of Our Heads
113. Troye Sivan - Bloom
108. Years & Years - Lucky Escape
107. Years & Years - If You're Over Me
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:11 am

You have always done about 17 updates each time I log in :lol:

Good to see entries by Shawn, Troye, Years and Years and Panic! Surprised to see Matt Cardle, may have to listen. Also surprised to see Take That, mainly as that song is garbage. :lol:

Calum's song has a lovely sentiment, Jason especially Might As Well Dance is nice to see, Estelle too though I'm personally not keen on it, and yasss to Saara.

In the last batch, the three DJ tracks are cool, love Garrix.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:30 am

biscuits wrote:Good, 'Long As I Live' is average and definitely overrated.
I disagree!

cheapthrills wrote:A little late to your party, but I'm already disappointed by that poll and I am sure you know why :lol:

Sucks that Bloom just missed the top 100 cut, but I'm still hopeful Troye will appear later in your list.

I feel like Meant To Be and The Middle were average - which come to think of it makes the MIddle a perfect moniker for the song, but happy to see Ocean squeaked in.
I know who you expected/hoped to see, but I'll just say that I wouldn't be too worried about that particular artist's success on my year-end charts. :wink:

He will, and not just once either!

Hope you like this next set a bit more. I know there's one song coming that most of UKMix loved, and I think you enjoy(ed) it, too.

phoenix98 wrote:I love the (unintentional?) Lauv shout-out too!
I rarely do anything unintentionally. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Not gonna lie, his songs all blurred together a bit at the time :oops: "Dancing On My Own" aside, obv. I was more struck by his cute comments/touching coming-out story/general adorableness.

"No Matter What" is ringing bells (it must've been the song he introduced with his coming out story), and that video certainly gives me the feels. :cry:
Yeah, he seems to be a sweet guy, but I don't generally enjoy his music.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: OMG. I definitely meant "clutching." "CLUTCHING my heart..."
:lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, well...I probably won't do a proper countdown here, and I figured that was an easy way to illustrate the vastness in difference between our appreciation for that song :cry: Granted, there's still a few weeks left for songs to rack up points (I align mine with the calendar year), and I haven't done any proper calculations since June, but SMFF stands as my most-played song of 2018 thus far.
Ah, I feared this might have been the case.

The good news is that there's another Kylie song that I think I like about as much as you like "Stop Me from Falling"! :D

phoenix98 wrote:Mess. I hate making typos. :lol:
Clearly a Freudian slip/wishful thinking regarding Shawn's sexuality. ;) [/quote]

I don't really care that much for these little boys. :oops: :lol: Shawn's a sweetheart and definitely attractive, but I'm not overly rooting for him to be batting for Team Unicorn. He seems like a good guy, so I'm just rooting for him to be happy.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Meant To Be" was the first (and still only) offering of Bebe's to really catch my ear. I cringe every time I see Billboard call it "the biggest country hit ever," though, since the modern Hot Country Songs chart uses a COMPLETELY different methodology than it did pre-2012. :roll:
Yeah, it's funny how life is because I joined the site more than nine years ago because of chart analysis, and now I don't think I even understand/know all of the changes. The fact that Billboard feels comfortable calling it the biggest country hit ever is ludicrous, though. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:"...one of Sam's most listenable vocal performances..." :lol: I was a bit surprised by how massive this got in the UK, but I guess Calvin's no stranger to smashing there.
And neither is Sam!

phoenix98 wrote:• Ha, this was a slightly DJ-heavy start to your Top 100, wasn't it? Not that I mind any of these scrumptious sirs! "Tick-tock" makes SO much more sense, but for some reason it always made me think of the turn signal sound in a car. Specific sound effects aside, "The Middle" is easily my favorite of the first five, and guaranteed a spot inside my Top 50. You HAD to shoe-horn in a random swipe at The Chainsmokers, though, eh? ;)
Yeah, sometimes the songs that end up at the lower end of my charts bemuse even me ( :oops: ) but I guess I focus so much more on the top songs of the year that I forget about the solid ones, and who recorded them.

That's actually a terrific observation! And it's a brilliant sound, too, since it indicates 'changing direction', and the song is advocating for a moderate change in position as well!

Yes, the shade for them flows so freely, I don't bothering even trying to stifle it. :lol:

Erotica wrote:These are enjoyable too:
160. Troye Sivan - What a Heavenly Way to Die
157. Florence + the Machine - Hunger
143. Eminem - The Ringer
142. Eminem - Lucky You (feat. Joyner Lucas)
141. Troye Sivan - Seventeen
135. Justin Timberlake - Say Something (feat. Chris Stapleton)
124. Backstreet Boys - Chances
114. Take That - Out of Our Heads
113. Troye Sivan - Bloom
108. Years & Years - Lucky Escape
107. Years & Years - If You're Over Me
Glad you appreciate these! :D

king_oxymoron wrote:You have always done about 17 updates each time I log in :lol:

Good to see entries by Shawn, Troye, Years and Years and Panic! Surprised to see Matt Cardle, may have to listen. Also surprised to see Take That, mainly as that song is garbage. :lol:

Calum's song has a lovely sentiment, Jason especially Might As Well Dance is nice to see, Estelle too though I'm personally not keen on it, and yasss to Saara.

In the last batch, the three DJ tracks are cool, love Garrix.
I was actually in the middle of updating last night when the site went down!

The Matt Cardle song is way better than I thought it would be; you should definitely check it out. Take That delivered a quality song there; I disagree with you. :lol:

Jason had a really big song this year for me, so let's see how far that one goes. And, yes, how could I not appreciate our of-the-night-of-the-grand-final fave? :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:25 am

So this next batch features a pair of songs UKMix loves far more than I do, an underrated single release by one of my favourite male artists that not enough of UKMix appreciated, the highest-ranking song by the most talented member of Fifth Harmony, and a standout album track from one of UKMix's most beloved pop divas.

095. Kylie Minogue - Shelby '68

A daintily crafted mid-tempo ballad, where Kylie foreshadows heartbreak, trouble, and hell to pay, but not giving an ounce of a phuck, and excitedly diving headfirst into the ride anyway, "Shelby '68" was one of my early favourites when I first spun Golden. The juxtaposition of Kylie's playful, girlish cooing of the chorus with the aforementioned danger signals in the lyrics is easily the highlight of this track. Oh, and the glittery electropop elements don't hurt either!
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
Play Count: 18

094. Kylie Minogue - Dancing

I remember "Dancing" as one of the first of the year's highly anticipated releases, and I also clearly recall wondering, whilst listening to the song that first time, why in heavens Kylie was recording yeehaw music. It's a bit of a left field sound for Kylie, but I appreciated the curveball, and I loved the message. The oft-cited mantra is "I'm not going down without a fight", and Kylie's amendment of "I'm not going down/out without a dance" is a more joyous, peaceful adaptation of a response to life's innumerable and untimely challenges. For those concerned that we just had two Kylie songs back-to-back, worry not, as the pop legend still has two more gems to come.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(2)
Play Count: 60

093. Lenny Kravitz - Low

The master of funk-rock fusion, Lenny Kravitz is the gift that keeps on giving. With "Low", he sticks to his script delivering another impeccable instrumentation served alongside a catchy, infectious beat, and background vocals from Michael Jackson no less! It's nice to still hear music like this being recorded in 2018.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #5
Play Count: 21

092. Khalid & Normani - Love Lies

A simple mid-tempo R&B ballad, with an admittedly catchy, chill, and cool chorus,"Love Lies" seemed well on track to enjoy a fairly unimpressive chart run on my daily top 20 until the duo performed at the Billboard Music Awards, and this happened. I'd known Normani was a fantastic dancer through watching (and rooting for) her on Dancing with the Stars (a victory out of which she was totally cheated), but I wasn't expecting her to be so fierce as a live performer. She made me clutch my pearls in that moment, really. And she's the standout on the track, too. Were she given more runtime and sexier lyrics, I think she could've taken the song to another level. She has so much talent that I really hope she doesn't end up like Tinashe. Unfortunately, I don't like either of her two songs with Calvin Harris so this is the last we'll be seeing of Normani...for 2018 anyway. Khalid still has one more to come.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(2)
Play Count: 49

091. Eleni Foureira - Fuego

My first thought as I watched the "Fuego" performance the night of the Eurovision grand finale was, "Who let Nicole Scherzinger in the show?" It was a high-energy, solid performance, but I wasn't dazzled by the song initially. Then I read comments from a lot of other UKMixers, and it seemed that she was the forum's ESC favourite this year, so that, combined with the fact that "Fuego" was runner-up in the actual contest, prompted me to revisit the song, and the Ah yeah ah yeah ah yeah, yeah ah yeah ah yeah hook eventually sunk its teeth into me - I could totally see myself whining to that part in a club. Unfortunately, as she did in the ESC, she finishes second best among Eurovision entries here, too.
Play Count: 41
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Promises and Low are great. Shelby 68 and Fuego are ok too.
Erotica
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I don't really care that much for these little boys. :oops: :lol: Shawn's a sweetheart and definitely attractive, but I'm not overly rooting for him to be batting for Team Unicorn. He seems like a good guy, so I'm just rooting for him to be happy.
:o Ruthless! Shawn certainly doesn't have the body of a boy, though (well, his torso certainly isn't, at least).

JSparksFan wrote:And neither is Sam!
Sweet of you to stick up for him <3 He really struggled to score a second hit off The Thrill Of It All, though, so I'm wondering/worrying if he'll fall prey to the one-era-wonder curse that afflicts FAR too many acts in the UK (Emeli Sandé, Alexandra Burke, Pixie Lott, Duffy, Gabriella Cilmi, Leona Lewis kinda-sorta, etc). Granted, the album did go 2x Platinum, so I guess it's mostly his serious singles struggle lately ("Promises" aside, obv) that's struck me.

JSparksFan wrote:That's actually a terrific observation! And it's a brilliant sound, too, since it indicates 'changing direction', and the song is advocating for a moderate change in position as well!
Bless you for making such sense out of my random musings! :lol:

• "Shelby '68" is all kinds of cute, and was one of the biggest standouts during my first listen through Golden too. Something about the way she sings that "I know you're gonna break my heaaAART, when I get in your caaAARR" just felt so very "Kylie" ("playful, girlish cooing" is quite right). It fell by the wayside over my many months with the album, but I didn't know it was one of your Golden faves, so seeing it pop up here was a fun surprise!
• "Dancing" at No. 94, though :cry: :cry: :cry: It looks like my entire Top 10 will be sub-90 (or not appear at all). For me, Golden turned out to be basically the best-case scenario after learning that she'd been concocting a country-inclined collection. Her genre experimentation hasn't always worked for me ("2 Hearts," much of IP), but Golden feels like the perfect way to play around with a different sound without being unrecognizable as a Kylie album (she didn't suddenly start singing about grabbing some beers, hopping in her pickup, heading down to the honky-tonk, finding the best blonde in the room, and taking said blonde back to said pickup for some shenanigans whether said blonde actually wants to or not). The heart-and-soul of the album still feel very Kylie to me, and I still get the same rush/satisfaction that I usually do from her LPs. I'd never thought about that parallel between "Dancing" and the "not going down without a fight" cliché - a brilliant point!
• I never saw you as a Camila stan or anything, but I didn't realize you hold Normani in such high regard :o Granted, I didn't know you're an avid DWTS follower either, so I'm learning all kinds of things here! Although you sound thoroughly unimpressed, I still want to give her Calvin collabos a try at some point.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm gonna enjoy reading through this countdown as it progresses as this year, especially earlier on in the year, it seemed like we were sharing #1s most Saturdays which i was totally loving. <3 :D

As there's so many songs already mentioned, i'm gonna highlight my personal favourites;

192. George Ezra - Paradise
178. Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho
118. Kylie Minogue - Stop Me from Falling
109. Mylene Farmer - N'obulie Pas (feat. LP)

So these are the songs so far that made it all the way to #1 in my chart and will no doubt feature in my own countdown. Looking forward to see how this chart progresses and what delicious goodies we've got still to come. <3
JakeP
Superstar

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:56 pm

"Growing Pains" by Alessia Cara is amazing. Actually I adore the entire album, it really takes me back in time to when I was 16/17 and went through the themes she sings on the album.

Spoiler:
"Starting to look like Ms. Know-it-all
Can't take her own advice
Can't find pieces of peace of mind, I cry
More than I want to admit
But I can't lie to myself, to anyone
'Cause phonin' it in isn't any fun
Can't run back to my youth the way I want to
The days my brother was quicker to fool
AM radio, not much to do
Used monsters as an excuse to lie awake
Now the monsters are the ones that I have to face
No band-aids for the growing pains"
is such a strong lyric line IMO.

"Summer Love" is cute.
"For You" is one of my highlights of 2018. A very strong song.
Love "Just Got Paid" by Sigala.
"One Kiss" is not that bad, but I have bad memories w/ that song :lol:

"Nervous" is a cute bop but Shawn Mendes has stronger songs to offer. Therefore, an understandable position.

"Meant To Be" is such a beautiful track, I actually didn't like it until I bought Bebe's album a few weeks ago. I'm glad I changed my mind on the song.
"Dancing" by Kylie is cute. Her best song since "All The Lovers" IMO.

"Love ies" is a nice collab, I'm excited for Normani's solo career!
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:10 pm

Erotica wrote:Promises and Low are great. Shelby 68 and Fuego are ok too.
Glad you appreciate those four. I have you to thank for introducing me to "Low" actually, so thanks! :D

phoenix98 wrote: :o Ruthless! Shawn certainly doesn't have the body of a boy, though (well, his torso certainly isn't, at least).
Eh, I think Shawn is totes adorbs, but this kind of body does way more for me these days. And he has a long torso, too. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Sweet of you to stick up for him <3 He really struggled to score a second hit off The Thrill Of It All, though, so I'm wondering/worrying if he'll fall prey to the one-era-wonder curse that afflicts FAR too many acts in the UK (Emeli Sandé, Alexandra Burke, Pixie Lott, Duffy, Gabriella Cilmi, Leona Lewis kinda-sorta, etc). Granted, the album did go 2x Platinum, so I guess it's mostly his serious singles struggle lately ("Promises" aside, obv) that's struck me.
Yeah, for me, the big surprise underperformance of the era in the UK was "Pray". I thought that was a good bet for #1, and it didn't even make it to the top 20. But even then, it's not like he released a tonne of singles and they all flopped in succession. Also, I'm not sure what his promo schedule was for the first era compared to the second, but maybe he was just less visible overall?

phoenix98 wrote:• "Shelby '68" is all kinds of cute, and was one of the biggest standouts during my first listen through Golden too. Something about the way she sings that "I know you're gonna break my heaaAART, when I get in your caaAARR" just felt so very "Kylie" ("playful, girlish cooing" is quite right). It fell by the wayside over my many months with the album, but I didn't know it was one of your Golden faves, so seeing it pop up here was a fun surprise!
Love delivering fun surprises! 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• "Dancing" at No. 94, though :cry: :cry: :cry: It looks like my entire Top 10 will be sub-90 (or not appear at all). For me, Golden turned out to be basically the best-case scenario after learning that she'd been concocting a country-inclined collection. Her genre experimentation hasn't always worked for me ("2 Hearts," much of IP), but Golden feels like the perfect way to play around with a different sound without being unrecognizable as a Kylie album (she didn't suddenly start singing about grabbing some beers, hopping in her pickup, heading down to the honky-tonk, finding the best blonde in the room, and taking said blonde back to said pickup for some shenanigans whether said blonde actually wants to or not). The heart-and-soul of the album still feel very Kylie to me, and I still get the same rush/satisfaction that I usually do from her LPs. I'd never thought about that parallel between "Dancing" and the "not going down without a fight" cliché - a brilliant point!
Nah, just maybe 50% or so. :lol:

I completely agree with you on the soul of Kylie still being present on Golden. It's not her best album by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly was a solid pop highlight of the year.

phoenix98 wrote:• I never saw you as a Camila stan or anything, but I didn't realize you hold Normani in such high regard :o Granted, I didn't know you're an avid DWTS follower either, so I'm learning all kinds of things here! Although you sound thoroughly unimpressed, I still want to give her Calvin collabos a try at some point.
I'm actually not a DWTS fan, but I was around someone at the time who was, and Normani was the person that season that I rooted for. Also, I'm still not crazy about 5H, but when it seemed the group would disband, Normani seemed to be the one with the most potential. Let's see what Normani can do in 2019.

JakeP wrote:I'm gonna enjoy reading through this countdown as it progresses as this year, especially earlier on in the year, it seemed like we were sharing #1s most Saturdays which i was totally loving. <3 :D

As there's so many songs already mentioned, i'm gonna highlight my personal favourites;

192. George Ezra - Paradise
178. Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho
118. Kylie Minogue - Stop Me from Falling
109. Mylene Farmer - N'obulie Pas (feat. LP)

So these are the songs so far that made it all the way to #1 in my chart and will no doubt feature in my own countdown. Looking forward to see how this chart progresses and what delicious goodies we've got still to come. <3
Yeah, I definitely think we're more in sync musically this year than the last.

And we're off to a good start here, too, with a #1 from your weekly chart featuring in all but one of the batches so far! :D

luckyONE wrote:"Growing Pains" by Alessia Cara is amazing. Actually I adore the entire album, it really takes me back in time to when I was 16/17 and went through the themes she sings on the album.

Spoiler:
"Starting to look like Ms. Know-it-all
Can't take her own advice
Can't find pieces of peace of mind, I cry
More than I want to admit
But I can't lie to myself, to anyone
'Cause phonin' it in isn't any fun
Can't run back to my youth the way I want to
The days my brother was quicker to fool
AM radio, not much to do
Used monsters as an excuse to lie awake
Now the monsters are the ones that I have to face
No band-aids for the growing pains"
is such a strong lyric line IMO.

"Summer Love" is cute.
"For You" is one of my highlights of 2018. A very strong song.
Love "Just Got Paid" by Sigala.
"One Kiss" is not that bad, but I have bad memories w/ that song :lol:

"Nervous" is a cute bop but Shawn Mendes has stronger songs to offer. Therefore, an understandable position.

"Meant To Be" is such a beautiful track, I actually didn't like it until I bought Bebe's album a few weeks ago. I'm glad I changed my mind on the song.
"Dancing" by Kylie is cute. Her best song since "All The Lovers" IMO.

"Love ies" is a nice collab, I'm excited for Normani's solo career!
I actually didn't listen to Alessia's new album. I should probably get around to it before 2019. Those lyrics are definitely relatable to me as well, though. :(

"For You" grew on me a bit! I like it more now than I did when it was released. It has an elegant, almost majestic melody...which is hilarious as it's basically the soundtrack to porn. :lol:

I'm excited for Normani's solo career, too!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:00 pm

In this next set, we have the lengthiest song on the countdown, two songs from two notable soundtrack albums, psychedelic funk, and easy listening pop from one of the best guys in that department.

090. Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch

At more than nine and a half minutes long, "Venice Bitch" is a journey, but thanks to Lana's ingenious songwriting skills and the masterful instrumentation, it doesn't feel half as long. It's one of those tracks you can just allow yourself to be enveloped into. Although there are more than a handful of lyrical highlights, the Fresh out of phucks forever line is my personal favourite.
Quality Rating: 8.1/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #5
Play Count: 22

089. Jason Mraz - Unlonely

A delightful blast of summery pop, "Unlonely" is charming proposition track, where Jason wagers that he could placate your loneliness with his presence. I love how gently the protagonist asserts himself here; it's refreshing in a world that can sometimes err on the side of brutish with romantic advances. I also adore how he pokes fun at the song's title in the line: I give you my word although I'm making words up, unlonely ain't a word but I don't give a FRUCK. Then not even half a minute later, he croons, I think we could be bigger than cheese and macaroni. This track amuses me and woos me; if it were a guy, I'd totally go out with it.
Quality Rating: 8.2/10

088. Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do That?

Why'd you come around me with an ass like that? This song had me from line #2, and by the time the booming synth chorus storms in, I'm completely sold on the wildness of this, the most Gaga-esque song on the Star Is Born soundtrack.
Play Count: 34

087. Childish Gambino - Terrified

Were this a top vocal countdown, "Terrified" would be about sixty places higher. It's one of the finest vocal performances from a male artist of the last 24 months, and some of the best of it comes from the (at-the-time) nine-year-old JD McCrary! (Side note: JD McCrary will also be the voice of young Simba in next year's highly anticipated Lion King film). The song's sole drawback is with the connection - I don't relate to it at all.
Play Count: 60

086. Hugh Jackman - From Now On

The first half of this song is pedestrian, almost sleep-inducing at times, but the second half - oh my! The second half is an explosive marching band moment of pop excellence that can be played next to the very best of the year's highlights. Every musical has that highlight moment, and this is undeniably that highlight anthem for the Greatest Showman.
Play Count: 13
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:56 am

"Venice Bitch" is a great song,excited for the new album. :D
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 am

luckyONE wrote:"Venice Bitch" is a great song,excited for the new album. :D
Yeah, it's a lovely song. With "Venice Bitch" and "Mariners Apartment Complex", the era is certainly off to a hot start!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:35 am

In this batch, we have the greatest singer alive, the second appearance from a standout soundtrack album, the hip/hop Queen, the first appearance of this year-end countdown's most prolific star, and a boy band from Australia!

085. Céline Dion - Ashes

A poignant ballad that begs the question, Can beauty come out of ashes?, "Ashes" features Céline Dion doing what she's been doing for almost three decades - pairing her titanic voice with an emotional ballad. She reins in most of the bombast that we've come to associate with her thunderous roar, but as one of music's most adept orators of emotion, she brilliantly captures the vulnerability of the lyrics. This heartfelt ballad, juxtaposed with a ridiculously hilarious music video, made for one of the year's more pleasant surprises...and released a week after the Avengers: Infinity War movie, it probably should have prepped moviegoers for the nonsense that they would deal with in that Marvel Studio concoction.
Play Count: 28

084. Lady Gaga - Before I Cry

If you listened to the Star Is Born soundtrack and glossed over this track, you can be forgiven, as it definitely doesn't pull from Gaga the full extent of her vocal or emotional range, so in many ways it does feel like a poor man's version of "I'll Never Love Again", but as a standalone ballad, it's quite lovely, and Gaga is in great vocal form here. She sounds angelic in parts.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
Play Count: 10

083. Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li

After getting bodied by Remy Ma last year, Nicki returned in 2018 with "Chun-Li" to prove that she still has the most lethal pen game among female rappers. In "Chun-Li", Nicki references several powerful female warriors: Chun-Li, the first female fighter of any fighting game franchise; Storm, the Queen of X-Men; and Lara Croft, the female protagonist from Tomb Raider. This is a typical 'swagger' hip/hop song, but Nicki personalises it with clever sci-fi references, and a catchy hook. It's her first of six entries, so there's still a tonne of Onika to come.
Play Count: 34

082. Ariana Grande - Everytime

Billboard's 'Woman of the Year' and the most prolific artist of this year's year-end songs countdown chart, we have the first of eight appearances from the scintillating pop diva Ariana Grande. Interestingly enough, I've criticised Ariana's enunciation in the past, but on this song, she nails the phrasing, delivering the chorus in an almost gliding cadence. Even though the song narrates a toxic relationship that Ariana keeps backsliding into, the bouncy production stamps this as a certified bop.

081. 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood

With 1D disbanded and the individual members steering away from big pop/rock anthems, it was left to the Aussie quintet 5SOS to keep that high-powered, electropop/rock boy band sound on mainstream radio, and the boys proved up to the task with their career-best single, "Youngblood", a fist-pumping, high-octane expression of exasperation over a relationship with a manipulative partner that toys with the protagonist's emotions.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am

Personal highlights from the top100:
- Long As I Live: agree with you disagreeing with biscuits. It is a vert good tune!
- Dancing: too low! Great catchy fun track.
- Low: amazing. Lenny back to what he knows best. The drums. Amazing single, glad he is here.
- Celine: nice one
leomedar
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 am

Sam's most listenable vocal performances of his career
:o That level of shade Oo

"Promises" is such a great tune, though, I had the same "fear" when I heard about those two collaborating... but it seems that Calvin Harris is still one of those few producers who still come up with fresh ideas.

Sam Smith has many "not only listenable" but also excellent and impressive vocal performances when it comes to his career, though :D

"Shelby '68": What a surprise! - I like the track, it's overlooked by fans and a bit underrated. I am glad that it has found its time to shine on your countdown.

Kylie back to back <3 - "Dancing" should be placed 70 places higher, though. One of her finest singles in her entire career.

"Low" is excellent! Lovely to see it on your countdown...

"Fuego" <3 I am glad UKMIX and the actual Eurovision rank had such an impact on you. And I still love it that you keep on watching Eurovision <3
It's a pity there's only one more Eurovision entry left, though :(

GaGa's "Why Did You Do That" is her most annoying song since "Aura", though :D

WOHOOOO!!!! 8 songs by Ariana made it into your Top 100 #kween
"Everytime" is excellent. If "Sweetener" era hadn't been so short, I would have loved this to be the closing single.

Like previously mentioned in your Daily Chart update, 2Youngblood" is indeed a lovely pop song. It's not ground-breaking but quite catchy.

Seeing your countdown so far makes me think of 2018 being an amazing year for pop music, tbh :lol:
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts