JakeP Top 100 of 2018

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 pm

79. Avicii - Wake me up

From one dance anthem to another, but this time under very different and saddening circumstances. :(

On 20th April 2018, i read the devastating news that Avicii aka Tim Bergling had committed suicide whilst on holiday in Oman. I was truly shocked as it was so incredibly unexpected, plus the fact Avicii was only two years younger than me also hit hard. :cry: One of the most celebrated and passionate producers yet one of the most humbled too.

It just so happened that when i joined UK Mix in August 2013, Wake me up was my very first #1. The track re-entered my chart at #2 in memory of Avicii's incredible career as the ultimate edm hitmaker.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:55 pm

78. Kylie Minogue & Jack Savoretti - Music’s too sad without you

What a spectacular year it was for Kylie Minogue. <3 In the year that saw the original princess of pop celebrated her 50th birthday and 30 years in the music industry, Kylie and her team went all out to make Golden such an amazing era.

Music's too sad without you is the charming duet with Jack Savoretti that first entered my chart in April following the release of Golden setting a brand new record for most entries in a weekly chart for an artist. Kylie impressed me so much with Golden that she occupied 16 places inside that particular weeks top 20 - a feat that is definitely gonna be difficult for any other artist to match yet alone beat. :o This track got a second wind of chart success in October when it was released as a single alongside its beautiful glossy music video.

This marks the first of six appearances for Kylie in my top 100 of 2018. 8-)

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 pm

77. Dido - Friends

Bringing us right up to end of 2018, it's Dido at #77 with the deliciously pop feast that is Friends which was #2 in my final weekly chart of the year.

After Hurricanes became a moderate hit in my chart reaching #17 i was intrigued to see what else Dido had to offer for her upcoming album Still on my mind. I definitely wasn't expecting a track quite like Friends though and it was pretty much instant love for me.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:19 pm

76. Elina Nechayeva - La forza

At #76, it's the second entry from the Eurovision song contest 2018. When i first checked out La forza i could only describe my feelings in two words...MIND. BLOWN. :o Everything about the estonian entry was truly spectacular from Elina's almighty operatic voice to the stunning stage setting and the clever use of incorporating the outfit as part of the staging. :lol:

The song itself is such a beautiful composition and whilst i didn't understand the lyrics, it was irrelevant to me. Elina 100% sells this song with dignity and grace and this was my early favourite to win the competition...until Cyprus came along. :P

JakeP
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 pm

JakeP wrote:There are still some lovely pieces of artwork created for singles but it does feel like the average Spotify user doesn't really care about the artwork as if its an after thought (if even that). :x I'll always be old skool (circa 00's era) when it comes to the charts though, i doubt that will ever change. :lol: I noticed some others using a cover for breathin which i'm guessing is fan made. The same happened with God is a woman, upon release it was part of the pre-order for the album on iTunes so the only artwork i saw was the album cover hence why the Sweetener cover appears twice in my banner. :oops: It would be so cool though if all singles were given official artwork covers rather than just the album cover.
Amen! Some fan covers can be pretty impressive, but something about my music-library-OCD encouraged me to always stick to official covers (the ones used on the iTunes Store or any physical releases).

JakeP wrote:My knowledge on this is rather sketchy but i'm sure i read a couple of years ago that the german charts are based on revenue figures. So if the song that's #1 on iTunes is discounted and the #1 on Spotify is purely there because of a large proportion of free users listening to the track, there's no guarantee it'll be the #1 in Germany that week.

Re; the ticket bundle scheme is that how the US album charts work? Didn't both P!nk and Niall Horan do a ticket bundle to help generate more sales and revenue, and that's how they got to #1?
Ah, I'm glad they take discounts into account! It sounds obvious, but it wouldn't be the first time that chart rules don't abide by what seems "obvious." :lol:

Yup: P!nk, Niall, Shania, The Killers, and many more. The way Billboard explains it: the cost of the album is bundled into the price of each ticket sold online for the tour. After purchasing a ticket, customers receive (via email) a redemption offer for the album, where they can choose to redeem the album and have it mailed to them. The only sales that count toward the charts are those albums redeemed by customers.

JakeP wrote:I suspect many people were just sick of Despacito so didn't want to hear Daddy Yankee all over other artists songs. :lol: I thought his contributions were fitting, at least i can tolerate his voice. Have you heard Bad Bunny when he sings? :o I've already mentioned it but we've got the rock & roll hall of fame ceremony in March so with Janet Jackson being one of the inductees that, imo, would be the perfect time to get the next single released. Like they say all publicity is good publicity. :wink: Gosh, give me a job at a record label already!!!!! :lol: :P
Ha, you've MORE than earned it at this point! That sounds like an absolutely perfect plan. **Fingers crossed**

JakeP wrote:Aww poor Versace on the floor was truly scuppered. In the UK we got a David Guetta remix of the song was paled so badly compared to the album version which remains so smooth silky and sexy. <3
I didn't hate Guetta's take on it, and it did help the song feel "fresh" again, since the original version had already been out for so long (even as a pre-release track) before they finally pushed it as a proper single...but it clearly didn't help the song's chart fortunes at all. :cry:

• I still need to check out that Škoda advert (for curiosity's sake), but I really enjoy Paloma's take on MYOKOM, and I'm glad it helped get her back inside the UK Top 40 after people kept snubbing the other singles from The Architect. I think she conveys the energy and the message of this feel-good song fabulously!
• I'd only given "These Days" a quick listen or two before diving into Always In Between, where it's included as one of the deluxe edition tracks, and I finally started to get why it connected with people in such a big way. It's so sweet, and REALLY tugs at the heartstrings - which makes it kind of tough to hear too many times in a row :lol: Granted, the fact that it's too emotional to binge fits with how it didn't peak super high on your chart, but managed to linger for quite a while.
• Damn, we've only just cracked the Top 80 and there's already been two obituaries :( RIP.
• I adore Kylie, and Golden was such a treat overall, but I'm a flop fan when it comes to appreciating "Music's Too Sad..." :oops: It's still my second-least-played track on the album (just slightly above "Low Blow"), but I love that her team actually went FIVE singles deep! Amazing era indeed. <3
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Amen! Some fan covers can be pretty impressive, but something about my music-library-OCD encouraged me to always stick to official covers (the ones used on the iTunes Store or any physical releases).
I was thinking about this quite randomly earlier today whilst at work (when my mind starts to wander :lol: :oops: ) and i think artwork for singles could make a massive comeback thanks to Instagram. A can already think of Ariana and Kerli who both teased their album artwork on Instagram. I love when they break it down into squares so when you browse their accounts, it looks like a larger album cover consisting of small pics. So there's hope yet for all those budding designers out there. :P

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, I'm glad they take discounts into account! It sounds obvious, but it wouldn't be the first time that chart rules don't abide by what seems "obvious." :lol:

Yup: P!nk, Niall, Shania, The Killers, and many more. The way Billboard explains it: the cost of the album is bundled into the price of each ticket sold online for the tour. After purchasing a ticket, customers receive (via email) a redemption offer for the album, where they can choose to redeem the album and have it mailed to them. The only sales that count toward the charts are those albums redeemed by customers.
*puts on stan glasses* In that case i'm more than delighted that Niall Horan succeeded as it was a big achievement in itself when Flicker topped the US album chart. I'm hoping we get new music from Niall in 2019. I still think his album is incredibly underrated as he quite comfortably released the best material of all the One Direction boys.

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, you've MORE than earned it at this point! That sounds like an absolutely perfect plan. **Fingers crossed**
LOL no artist would ever flop ever again if i was in control. Beating Spotify would be my toughest challenge though. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:I didn't hate Guetta's take on it, and it did help the song feel "fresh" again, since the original version had already been out for so long (even as a pre-release track) before they finally pushed it as a proper single...but it clearly didn't help the song's chart fortunes at all. :cry:
I was already so used to listening to the album version by that point that i felt like i didn't need a remix version. I just thought David Guetta's remix removed most of the charm and sultriness from the original and make it sound a bit soulless. :oops: Then again, the music video could've equally been a bit more exciing to entice people to keep watching on repeat. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:I still need to check out that Škoda advert (for curiosity's sake), but I really enjoy Paloma's take on MYOKOM, and I'm glad it helped get her back inside the UK Top 40 after people kept snubbing the other singles from The Architect. I think she conveys the energy and the message of this feel-good song fabulously!
Never fear, Jakey is here! :lol:

The intro is exactly the same as the music video but in the advert Paloma sings acapella. It's just a shame to think had Paloma not done this tv commercial, its likely that this wouldn't have gone anywhere near the top 40. :roll: So it was a good thing even though its chart success was limited.

phoenix98 wrote:I'd only given "These Days" a quick listen or two before diving into Always In Between, where it's included as one of the deluxe edition tracks, and I finally started to get why it connected with people in such a big way. It's so sweet, and REALLY tugs at the heartstrings - which makes it kind of tough to hear too many times in a row :lol: Granted, the fact that it's too emotional to binge fits with how it didn't peak super high on your chart, but managed to linger for quite a while.
That's another album from 2018 i never got round to checking out. Overall i much preferred Jess Glynne's music from 2014-2015 more. These days is indeed one of those heartwarming songs. As for my chart it was always up against other songs that i loved more so sometimes a song can peak lower because of the competition - and indeed higher because of a lack of it. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Damn, we've only just cracked the Top 80 and there's already been two obituaries :( RIP.
...but i can confirm that there are no more obituaries from now onwards. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:I adore Kylie, and Golden was such a treat overall, but I'm a flop fan when it comes to appreciating "Music's Too Sad..." :oops: It's still my second-least-played track on the album (just slightly above "Low Blow"), but I love that her team actually went FIVE singles deep! Amazing era indeed. <3
Ahh yes i do remember you mentioning how you weren't so keen on this track. It wasn't one of my absolute faves to begin with but as far as ballads go, i did adore this more than Radio on even though i thought that was a tender loving song too.

So i'm just gonna grab a bite to eat and i'll be back later to continue this countdown. I might have it finished by May. :lol:

:(
JakeP
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 pm

She wasn't my favourite in the Estonian national selection, but nevertheless she did great at the contest. I am surprised by the juries score, I expected her to do slightly better with the professionals.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 pm

heppolo wrote:76. Elina Nechayeva - La forza
She wasn't my favourite in the Estonian national selection, but nevertheless she did great at the contest. I am surprised by the juries score, I expected her to do slightly better with the professionals.
I vaguely remember being surprised at how the juries voted as iirc Austria ranked 1st with their votes. Who knew Cesár Sampson would be such a hit at eurovision - the one entry the BBC rejected from the UK's selection. :roll: :lol: Then again it makes me question would the UK have done as successfully had Cesár represented the UK. I suspect the answer would've been a resounding no. :-? :x

As for Elina, it was such a powerful performance but opera tends to be quite niche when it comes to eurovision.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 pm

75. Years & Years - Sanctify

The second entry from Years & Years finishes at #75 in my top 100 of 2018. Sanctify was the lead single released in March and its accompanying music video introduced us to the weird and wonderful world of Palo santo. Watching Olly letting himself loose with some astonishing choreography in a modern contemporary style never fails to fascinates me. <3 As for the song itself, Sanctify was a more mature sound compared to their pure pop smashes from Communion, this track in particular being much more r'n'b influenced whilst still retaining the essence of pop.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 pm

74. Taylor Swift - Delicate

Taylor Swift gets her sole entry in my year end chart with Delicate at #74. The track had already proved to be a fan favourite since the release of reputation and in March we were treated to the official music video. It was certainly one of those videos that kept my attention purely because i genuinely didn't know what was going on throughout. Sometimes a lack of storyline can be a good thing! :lol: Delicate was comfortably one of my favourite tracks off the album with its lush production and peaked at #4.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:57 pm

73. Shawn Mendes featuring Khalid - Youth

Time for another "why wasn't this a hit?" moment. :evil: :x

Prior to the release of his self titled album, Shawn Mendes released Youth as an instant grat to pre-order the album on iTunes. Featuring Khalid, this song quickly became one of my favourite songs that Shawn had released. It was somewhat unfortunate to be released in the one particular week in May 2018 when a handful of big singles all got released. Youth peaked at #7 but longevity was key to this songs success in my chart and as such it ends the year at #73 in this countdown.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:15 pm

72. Christina Aguilera featuring Demi Lovato - Fall in line

What happens when two powerhouse vocalists come together and release an anthem? The answer is Fall in line. 8-)

Christina Aguilera got UK Mix whipped into a frenzy in the lead up to the release of Liberation. Fall in line was the third track released from the album with its spectacular music video released just days later.

Fun fact; had it not been for the Eurovision song contest 2018 then, by process of elimination, this would've been #1 in my chart. :o Instead, Fall in line had to settle with a #3 peak instead but this is yet another of those tracks from 2018 that makes me question "why wasn't this a hit?". :x

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 pm

71. Troye Sivan featuring Ariana Grande - Dance to this

What happens when two kids come together and release a parody music video? The answer is Dance to this. :lol:

Dance to this was released as the fourth single from Bloom in June and initially i liked the track but i didn't love it. That all changed several weeks later when a kid version of the music video started trending on YouTube. I thought the idea behind the parody was both hilarious to watch and adorably cute. The best of both worlds. <3 :P Thankfully this was all i needed to make me appreciate just how great Dance to this really is. As a result, Troye & Ariana returned to my chart and finally made the top 3.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Love Dance To This but particularly love Youth, that definitely shoulda been a hit, I don't really understand why it's not a huge cultural moment.
Good to see Panic Room appearing in someones chart
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:19 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:Love Dance To This but particularly love Youth, that definitely shoulda been a hit, I don't really understand why it's not a huge cultural moment.
Good to see Panic Room appearing in someones chart
YOUTH was only a moderate hit for me in 2015. Iirc it was one of those songs that took months to become a chart hit in America so it was clearly popular and probably not reflected in its chart peak.

Panic room is so infectious, such a dark atmospheric dance track. I love the quirkiness of the music video.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 pm

70. Lady Gaga - Joanne (where do you think you’re goin’?) [piano version]

Lady Gaga's second of four entries is #70 but the only track that had nothing to do with A star is born.

When i first listened to Joanne - the title track off the album - i was really unimpressed and struggled to find any enjoyment from the track. :( Then back in January, Lady Gaga unleashed a new arrangement of the song and yes, i was a bit sceptical. :oops:

However, i found myself loving the new recording, such a delightful version and the vocals soared on the track. To this day, i still cringe at the vocals on the original version. :-? I'm still not sure what the intention was for releasing this particular track but perhaps it came about through the recording sessions from A star is born and they decided it was a keeper. :P

Nonetheless, Joanne (where do you think you’re goin’?) [piano version] did the business peaking at #2 in my chart.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm

69. Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The middle

At #69 it's Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey who struck pop gold with The middle. It's astonishing to think that this song was a year in the making. I watched a video on YouTube explaining how this song was recorded by multiple female artists but each time the end result just wasn't satisfactory.

Then along came Maren Morris who nailed the vocals and et voila a hit was born. After a slow and steady start, The middle eventually peaked at #7 in my chart but despite failing to crack the top 5, it had amazing staying power remaining in my chart for three months.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:23 pm

68. Kygo & Imagine Dragons - Born to be yours

Kygo & Imagine Dragons eh? I certainly didn't expect to see a collaboration quite like this happening. However, when i checked out Born to be yours i was mightily impressed on first listen. It's got all the hallmarks of a typical Kygo song, but with Dan Reynolds' rockier vocal tone it was a fusion that just worked.

Born to be yours got off to a strong start hitting the top 5 and gave Imagine Dragons their biggest hit since Thunder, and Kygo's biggest hit since Raging.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:35 pm

67. benny blanco, Halsey & Khalid - Eastside

Not gonna lie, this was one of the biggest surprise #1 singles in the UK last year. Not that i personally minded as i was loving this a lot during the latter end of the long hot summer we encountered. :lol:

However, it did take a good number of weeks before i started paying more attention towards Eastside. This was benny blanco's breakthrough hit teaming up with Halsey and Khalid - two of the most distinctive vocalists in the music industry right now.

The song was lyrically very story telling but when i discovered it was co-written with Ed Sheeran it all made sense. The music video is possibly one of the simplest i watched throughout the whole of 2018 but like they say, less is more. :lol:

JakeP
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 pm

66. Lana Del Rey - Mariners apartment complex

No JakeP year end chart would be complete without an entry from Lana Del Rey and my top 100 of 2018 is no exception. On first listen of Mariners apartment complex, i was captivated by the gorgeous luscious intro. Lana's vocals gloss over the acoustic backing music and the song title alone couldn't have been more "Lana Del Rey" if it tried. Of course Lana has surpassed herself this week with her new single - more on this in my top 100 of 2019...potentially. :P :wink:

Mariners apartment complex gave Lana yet another top 3 hit in my chart and ends the year at #66 in my year end countdown.

JakeP
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 am

JakeP wrote:I was thinking about this quite randomly earlier today whilst at work (when my mind starts to wander :lol: :oops: ) and i think artwork for singles could make a massive comeback thanks to Instagram. A can already think of Ariana and Kerli who both teased their album artwork on Instagram. I love when they break it down into squares so when you browse their accounts, it looks like a larger album cover consisting of small pics. So there's hope yet for all those budding designers out there. :P
Ah, for sure! Some artists take the approach where their cover gradually gets unveiled in little square segments on Twitter/Instagram until they get enough "Like"s/"Share"s/whatever to reveal the full image, which at least shows that enough fans still care about cover art to come together and make that big reveal happen. Although the music itself obviously matters most, I always liked to consider the whole album packaging as part of the overall message/story the artist wanted to share (the cover art, the booklet, even the design printed on the CD itself). Some (or even a lot) of that is probably just calculated marketing, but I'd like to imagine it involved some purposeful decisions from the artists too.

JakeP wrote:*puts on stan glasses* In that case i'm more than delighted that Niall Horan succeeded as it was a big achievement in itself when Flicker topped the US album chart. I'm hoping we get new music from Niall in 2019. I still think his album is incredibly underrated as he quite comfortably released the best material of all the One Direction boys.
Yeah, it already feels like there's been a sufficient pause since Flicker, so I hope he doesn't wait beyond 2019 to drop his second album (or at least the lead single). Well, as long as he makes sure to consult you for the video... ;)

JakeP wrote:I was already so used to listening to the album version by that point that i felt like i didn't need a remix version. I just thought David Guetta's remix removed most of the charm and sultriness from the original and make it sound a bit soulless. :oops: Then again, the music video could've equally been a bit more exciing to entice people to keep watching on repeat. :lol:
Too true. There was some serious missed potential there.

JakeP wrote:Never fear, Jakey is here! :lol:

The intro is exactly the same as the music video but in the advert Paloma sings acapella. It's just a shame to think had Paloma not done this tv commercial, its likely that this wouldn't have gone anywhere near the top 40. :roll: So it was a good thing even though its chart success was limited.
My hero! <3 Damn, I would've loved to hear a full version like that :o I don't think I've ever been so moved by a car commercial before...

• Although the "Delicate" video certainly wasn't what I'd envisioned for the song, it did get people talking (for better or worse) :lol: It's easily my reputation fave (and the only song to appear on both my Top 50 of 2017 and 2018), so I'm delighted to see it make the cut here!
• The Shawn Mendes era really went off the rails after "In My Blood" became a pretty decent-sized hit, and poor "Youth" was definitely a casualty of the scattered approach that ensued :-? There was that Billboard Music Awards performance back in May, but the song didn't get a video until November, and I don't think it was ever properly promoted to radio. Shame.
• That friggen adorable kid video :lol: It sells me on kids as well as that Škoda advert sells me on cars. "Dance To This" required a great deal more patience/warming-up for me following the easy-to-love "My My My!" + "Bloom," and you sharing that kid video played a big role in helping to make that happen!
:o Did that video about "The Middle" mention which other artists had recorded versions before it finally landed with Maren? I had no idea it passed through several hands before she was selected! Looks like we agree they made the right call in the end.
• The trivia just keeps coming! I never knew that Ed was one of the writers on "Eastside."
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, for sure! Some artists take the approach where their cover gradually gets unveiled in little square segments on Twitter/Instagram until they get enough "Like"s/"Share"s/whatever to reveal the full image, which at least shows that enough fans still care about cover art to come together and make that big reveal happen. Although the music itself obviously matters most, I always liked to consider the whole album packaging as part of the overall message/story the artist wanted to share (the cover art, the booklet, even the design printed on the CD itself). Some (or even a lot) of that is probably just calculated marketing, but I'd like to imagine it involved some purposeful decisions from the artists too.
Ohh i don't have an Instagram account, i just tend to go on random artists pages if i've become aware of a new song teaser or something along those lines. I'm usually more interested in the audio videos. :oops: So they have to get a certain amount of likes before they unveil the whole cover? I genuinely didn't realise this. :o Mind you, they have so many followers they probably get 10k likes in the first 10 minutes alone. :lol: I agree about the whole cd package and everything included. As music has become more and more digital to the point we're at now with streaming, it does feel like the younger generation just want the music and aren't remotely interested in having booklets etc...

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, it already feels like there's been a sufficient pause since Flicker, so I hope he doesn't wait beyond 2019 to drop his second album (or at least the lead single). Well, as long as he makes sure to consult you for the video... ;)
Niall did release a special edition of Flicker with the RTÉ orchestra following the success of his tv documentary. Sadly it was only released in Ireland and wasn't given a full worldwide release. I had hoped to find it on iTunes but it looks like it was limited edition exclusive to Ireland only. :( Still, it's going to be 2 years since Flicker so i'm hopeful that we get more gems from Niall in 2019. That reminds me, i need to email his management about the filming of his next lead single. It's about time we got a "proper" music video. :wink: :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Too true. There was some serious missed potential there.
It's kinda disappointing when this happens but with the streaming era, the chances are this is likely to become the norm rather than the anomaly. :x

phoenix98 wrote:My hero! <3 Damn, I would've loved to hear a full version like that :o I don't think I've ever been so moved by a car commercial before...
I aim to please. <3 :wink: Without the music, it showcases just how powerful Paloma really is as a vocalist. It's still strange to think that Paloma has never really connected fully with the general public even though she's released some cracking songs over the years.

phoenix98 wrote:• Although the "Delicate" video certainly wasn't what I'd envisioned for the song, it did get people talking (for better or worse) :lol: It's easily my reputation fave (and the only song to appear on both my Top 50 of 2017 and 2018), so I'm delighted to see it make the cut here!
LOL the one scene that i really didn't understand was where Taylor is sitting in the dressing room and starts pulling funny faces in the mirror. It really didn't get more random than that. But like you say, it got people talking and maybe it was purposely done to try and create something of a viral video. That's an impressive achievement to get top 50 honours two years running. It's happened a number of times for me, mostly songs that get released towards the end of the year, and then continue to perform well at the start of the new year. Then again i use a unique formulae to compile my year end charts that takes chart peaks into account as well as weeks on chart, so a #1 in the last week of the year could still make my top 50 of the year after just 7 days especially if it got a lot of plays.

phoenix98 wrote:• The Shawn Mendes era really went off the rails after "In My Blood" became a pretty decent-sized hit, and poor "Youth" was definitely a casualty of the scattered approach that ensued :-? There was that Billboard Music Awards performance back in May, but the song didn't get a video until November, and I don't think it was ever properly promoted to radio. Shame.
Off the rails like most albums nowadays. :lol: :roll: I don't even remember that performance or even if i watched it. :o Considering how popular Shawn is (supposedly) plus Khalid has really come into his own in the last two years, its still a bit surprising that two sets of fanbases couldn't make Youth more of a hit. :( The late release of the music video is also typical of how the music industry has been working over the last couple of years. It's only in the last 6 months or so that artists have started releasing music videos more regularly in line with the single release.

phoenix98 wrote:• That friggen adorable kid video :lol: It sells me on kids as well as that Škoda advert sells me on cars. "Dance To This" required a great deal more patience/warming-up for me following the easy-to-love "My My My!" + "Bloom," and you sharing that kid video played a big role in helping to make that happen!
LOL i don't know how true this is but i remember one of the guys at work telling us how Škoda used to have a terrible reputation in the UK years ago. I have so little understanding of cars in general that i wouldn't know why that was, or whether it was just a wind up. :lol: :oops: Ahh looks like we were both on the same wavelength with Dance to this but yes, get some young kids strutting their stuff and its likely to make me smile, especially as some young boys and girls are amazing dancers.

phoenix98 wrote::o Did that video about "The Middle" mention which other artists had recorded versions before it finally landed with Maren? I had no idea it passed through several hands before she was selected! Looks like we agree they made the right call in the end.
Here's the video which explains it all.

Considering all the effort put into the song, it would've been gutting had it failed to become a hit. It does give some examples of the other singers but only like a line and its hard to work out which singer it is. I think i recognised Camila Cabello and Bebe Rexha in there though.

phoenix98 wrote:• The trivia just keeps coming! I never knew that Ed was one of the writers on "Eastside."
LOL well i'm the fountain of useless knowledge. But i like to delve into a song, it quite cool to understand more about the song i'm loving rather than just taking it a face value. It also makes me fully realise and truly appreciate just how talented and ambitious these artists really are. <3
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 pm

"Sanctify" is exceptional - my favourite Y&Y song! :D "Delicate" is good. The video is a bit Sia-esque. :lol: "Youth" is good, and definitely one of Shawn's best singles.

"Fall in Line" is an absolute anthem, and right up there with the best songs of the decade/millennium/all-time. Within the context of the 'Me Too' movement, it's particularly powerful. "Dance to This" is incredible, and easily the best thing Troye's ever done; enlisting Ariana for assistance was a wise move.

I like both versions of "Joanne", though I have a slight preference for the original. I love Maren's vocals on "The Middle". It's got decent lyrics, too. "Mariners Apartment Complex" was the best song Lana released in 2018. That and "Venice Bitch" definitely have me looking forward to the new album.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Code: Select all
90. Aretha Franklin - I say a little prayer
89. Ellie Goulding, Diplo & Swae Lee - Close to me
88. Carrie Underwood - Love wins
87. Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse
86. Halsey - Without me
85. Years & Years - Palo santo
83. Lady Gaga - Always remember us this way
82. Little Mix featuring Sharaya J - Strip
79. Avicii - Wake me up
78. Kylie Minogue & Jack Savoretti - Music’s too sad without you
75. Years & Years - Sanctify
74. Taylor Swift - Delicate
73. Shawn Mendes featuring Khalid - Youth
72. Christina Aguilera featuring Demi Lovato - Fall in line
71. Troye Sivan featuring Ariana Grande - Dance to this
70. Lady Gaga - Joanne (where do you think you’re goin’?) [piano version]
69. Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The middle
68. Kygo & Imagine Dragons - Born to be yours
67. benny blanco, Halsey & Khalid - Eastside
66. Lana Del Rey - Mariners apartment complex

Ok, so I have to use the 'code' function instead of the normal 'quote' function as I simply love too many songs since my last comment :lol:

Happy to see Carrie Underwood appearing, as I know she's not really one of the big artists on your countdown.
Halsey's "Without Me" is awesome and I'm really glad she finally got a US #1 on her own. Can't wait to hear what she brings up next!

"La forza" is truly brilliant. I forgot that it was also one of your favorites from the contest last year. She should have done better, but in the end I expected her to do even worse because one never knows how the public reacts to something like this.

Love "Palo Santo", probably the best thing Years & Years ever created for me. Same for "Youth" and Shawn, such a strong track and one of my faves from last year.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 pm

JakeP wrote:I really wanted Saara to do well but i still think the backing singers should've had their microphone levels lowered so that it was Saara's vocals that shone. Aww i was a bit downhearted initially about Netta winning but what it is, Toy is a catchy novelty song. Since it peaked at #15 in my chart it's safe to say Netta hasn't made my top 100.

After Don't matter now flopped in 2017 i reckon many people were ready to write off George Ezra before he even released his second album. It's still fascinating how he turned it around so spectacularly in 2018 but i'm so happy for him.

Yes Made for now was definitely one of 2018's big pop moments that seemed to bring many people together in agreement. Like i just mentioned above, i'm curious to see if Janet and her team have anything planned for March to celebrate Janet's induction into the rock & roll hall of fame as it's a very prestigious accolade to have.
Poor Saara!
Ah, I absolutely hate Toy. I certainly wasn't happy with that song winning, and then I am not even talking about the political message (which I also have an opinipn about), but the song itself was just a bunch of noise for me. Sorry <3

I hope so! We need some new Janet in our lives in 2019.

Time to catch up....

I adore Make Your Own Kind Of Music. Paloma in general is someone I always like, as you know by now I would imagine, and this was such a good cover for her.
Always Remember Us This Way <33 Absolutely one of the big highlights of the movie for me, prefer it to Shallow, and it's just a stunning song. It really shows GaGa's talent as a singer. That voice.
Strip is nice, I like the message, but they have had better songs. Bonus points for it making Piers Morgan annoyed though :lol:

The more I have listeded to Music Makes Me Sad Without You, the more I realised I actually don't like it *that* much. It's a nice song, most definitely, but it never really grabs me.
Nice to see Dido's comeback in 2018. Nowhere near her best for me, but very decent.

Years & Years rarely disappoint, so this was another good song for them. Prefer the follow-up, so hope to see that one a bit higher.

Fall In Line is beautiful. I am usually not a big fan of the real powerhouse (read: screaming) vocals, but for some reason this song worked very well. Christina in general did very well with her comeback album, shame it didn't result in some chart success for her but I think those days are well and truly over.

Justice for Joanne! So happy to see this in your top 100. While I also like the album version, the acoustic version is much better. So beautiful, so much emotion. Yeah, she deliverd with this big time.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts