Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2013 [#1 REVEALED!!!]

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my #1 song of 2013?

Bad
3%
Can't Hold Us
17%
Do What U Want
17%
Gorilla
8%
Kiss You
3%
Lose To Win
3%
Skipping a Beat
3%
Walking on Air
6%
Work Bitch
11%
Wrecking Ball
31%

Total votes : 36

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, boys, girls, and all alien life forms, it is my pleasure to share with you my Top 100 tunes of 2013. The year's been one full of surprises, some admittedly less pleasant than others, but by the end of it all I was able to sift through most of the sub-par, underwhelming, hot mess releases to weed out one hundred songs that range from solid to great to brilliant.

Interestingly enough, we only have one contender this year that was a major player for the crown last year. That player is Rihanna who, for the fourth consecutive year-end contest, is a major threat for #1. She won once before in 2010 with "Only Girl (In The World)" and narrowly finished with silver last time around with "Diamonds" (in 2011 "S&M" was #3 so no year-end Top 3 of mine seems to be complete with RiRi). Her offering this year comes in the form of her featuring on the remix of "Bad", but can the self-proclaimed "bad gal RiRi" prove to be the baddest b*tch of them all?

Speaking of b*tches, "Work Bitch" is up for top honours this time around. Britney is no stranger to my countdowns and is all too familiar with the #1 spot, having gained song, album, and artist of the year honours - the trifecta - in 2011. Admittedly, "Work Bitch" is not quite on the same level of "Hold It Against Me" so her chances this time around are a little less promising, but this is me and she is Britney and the two of us go together like peanut butter and jelly so all is possible once her name is thrown into the ring.

It's been a while since we've heard anything from Jordin and indeed she's not featured prominently in any of my year-end countdowns since I started presenting them (properly) in 2010. "Skipping a Beat" was ear candy for me this summer and racked up an impressive play count so can my first love rise to the occasion and beat everyone...and with a song that wasn't even a proper single too? Never doubt Jo-Speezy's power. She's a top contender.

Up next to bat is a rather unlikely candidate for #1: Fantasia. "Lose To Win" was one of the year's biggest radio staples, though, and the song was, in my opinion, the American Idol champ's best release since her 2004 glory days. Will her passionate R&B ballad trump her dance-pop compatriots?

Now for some testosterone! Save for David Guetta's "Titanium", which finished second in 2011, the males have not had much success in my year-end lists, but this countdown will feature male acts in a proportion never before seen on my list and one of their flag-bearers is Bruno Mars with his raunchy, sexually-charged "Gorilla". It's my favourite single from him yet, which produced one of the year's steamiest video clips, so will my appreciation of his stepping outside his cheesy, love ballad box and my increased hormone levels when "Gorilla" is played lead me to grant him top honours this year?

We've got another male act added to the mix this year in the form of One Direction. My crush on four of the quintet is pretty much well-known here, but will their brazen "Kiss You", where they insist that they don't wanna take it slow, they just wanna take me home, result in their first ever year-end gold medal? They've never had a year-end Top 10 finisher, but that's all set to change this year. Can they go all the way is the question.

Even more testosterone! :o Macklemore & Ryan Lewis were unquestionably this year's best new act for me and their anthemic "Can't Hold Us" slayed my ears during the first half of 2013. Did my love for the song fade away or intensify since then? Statistically, they have the best chance among the guys to win considering the numbers of days they spent atop my daily chart plus Macklemore's support for marriage equality only made him an even more awesome human-being in my eyes. Will the song's quality, coupled with my appreciation for one of the few non-homophobic players in the hip-hop game, result in my very first year-end chart topped by a male act?

Lady Gaga has been up for #1 before, in 2011 with "Born This Way". This year she released "Do What U Want", the second single from her ARTPOP album, which quickly became one of my most played songs of the year. Her eclectic fusion of dance and R&B captivated me as did her impressive vocals and R. Kelly's noteworthy contribution. She'll be this year's underdog, but anything is possible. If I were you, I wouldn't count her out.

Speaking of someone who is a potential dark horse, how about Katy Perry's chances with "Walking on Air"? The song's so good that I shamelessly overlooked my "no promo singles allowed" rule to grant it eligibility. Fusing 90s retro music with contemporary pop beats, "Walking on Air" is easily among the top tier of pop releases this year and is by far the standout track on Prism. She's a safe bet for Top 10, but can this california gurl grab the crown?

Finally, this year's favourite to win: Miley Cyrus. While many counted her out after Can't Be Tamed flopped harder than a fish out of water, I always knew she had the star power and talent to climb back to the top of the pop music world. "We Can't Stop" fulfilled that wish and that would have been good enough for me; but no, she decided she wanted to blow me away; wreck my ears you might say (in a good way), and release the emotional banger, "Wrecking Ball". The song quickly became one of the year's biggest hits and inevitably became my favourite Miley single. At one point this year I called it my favourite song of 2013. Has that changed?

I am so excited to reveal this list to you, which is a bit funny since I've lambasted this year so much, but in hindsight it really wasn't as poor as I made it out to be. Underwhelming yes, but not altogether horrific.

Anyway, this starts soon. Take your best shot in the poll. :D

Last edited by JSparksFan on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:15 am, edited 25 times in total.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Gagich » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:52 pm

I`ll take the privilege to have the first post on your countdown! :P Just from being a Gaga stan I voted for Do What U Want! :D I don`t think that this time Britney`s new lead single will be your #1 like Hold It Against Me (if it was your #1 song of 2011, don`t remember). :wink:
Gagich
Drunk In Love

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Excited what will be HERE #1! :-D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby toni_pest » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:26 am

It's going to be between Bad, Can't Hold Us and Wrecking Ball for sure, I'm gonna for my favorite!
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:05 am

Can't wait :D Voted for Wrecking Ball to top the chart.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:10 am

I'm sur it won't be #1 but I've voted for Gorilla! :-D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Tripolis » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:06 am

I'm surprised with some of your poll options, to be honest!

Knowing you, a female artist will most probably top your chart so that leaves out "Can't Hold Us", "Gorilla" and "Kiss You". And I don't think you'd love "Walking On Air" that much so, it probably will just fall short too. "Bad" probably will suffer the same fate. So that leaves us with "Work Bitch", "Wrecking Ball", "Do What U Want", "Lose To Win" & "Skipping A Beat" (which I haven't heard of). I'll probably go with "Wrecking Ball" on this one, since I know you really love Miley and this track, being the best of her career, will probably take home "Song of the Year" honours here. 8-)
Tripolis
Manager

Postby taraella » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:06 am

deleted
Last edited by taraella on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
taraella
Personal Assistant

Postby MostFierce » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:17 am

Wrecking Ball is serious contender for your #1...if not confirm..unless u wanna surprised us.. :D
MostFierce
Manager

Postby Era » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:33 am

Cannonball for #1 8-) 8-)
I wish "Diamonds" was still eligible :cry: :lol: :lol:
Era
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:06 am

Voted for Wrecking Ball.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Benny » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:41 am

I voted for Gorilla, though I hope that "Can't Hold Us" will make it in the end (it's by far my favourite song from your list). :wink:
Benny
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Taken a total punt on 'Can't Hold Us' - excited to learn how wrong I am 8-)
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 pm

YES!! This is gonna slay, I went with Wrecking Ball.
Spartan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:19 pm

I don't know I went for 'Lose to Win' but I had a feeling! EXCITED.COM
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby ThomyX » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Ooh, I'll follow this! :D I have no idea about the winner just yet.
ThomyX
Superstar

Postby Wardo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:42 pm

I'd love to see someone unexpected taking the crow (i.g. Fantasia), but let's see what'll happen!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Cless » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Jordin about to slay with a buzz single. :cry:

Wrecking Ball ftw!
Cless
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:25 pm

I'll definitely follow this! I really loved to read your well-written texts. They made me smile for a few times...i even wanna eat some peanut butter right now xD However, I really wanna see Macklemore and Smiley being part of your Top, since I sincerely think that both of them had a huge impact on this year musically. They put so much effort and their success is well-deserved. When it comes to the other bitches you mentioned, I think that their releases were a bit disappointing somehow....
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:25 am

When will U start? :-D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Kai » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Bookmarked 8-)

I voted for DWUW, but I guess we'll have a nice surprise.
Can't wait for this countdown!
Kai
Manager

Postby FurRare » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:53 am

MarcusDGST6811 wrote:I'm sure it won't be #1 but I've voted for Gorilla! :-D
Same here!! 8-)
FurRare
Manager

Postby TheResonantIpod » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:26 am

Wrecking Ball came at the end of the chart times for most of us, unless Akini doesn't use a point weight System, Wrecking Ball could win

My thoughts are with Can't Hold Us
Queen of country music...Timmy McGraw
TheResonantIpod
Manager

Postby taraella » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:07 pm

deleted
Last edited by taraella on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
taraella
Personal Assistant

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Time to get this show on the road! 8-)

Gagich wrote:I`ll take the privilege to have the first post on your countdown! :P Just from being a Gaga stan I voted for Do What U Want! :D I don`t think that this time Britney`s new lead single will be your #1 like Hold It Against Me (if it was your #1 song of 2011, don`t remember). :wink:
"Do What U Want" has a legitimate chance to top this! We'll see how Britney fares though. :wink:

MarcusDGST6811 wrote:Excited what will be HERE #1! :-D
Glad to have you on board! :D

toni_pest wrote:It's going to be between Bad, Can't Hold Us and Wrecking Ball for sure, I'm gonna for my favorite!
No surprise there! :lol:

FreakyFlyBry wrote:Can't wait :D Voted for Wrecking Ball to top the chart.
Good guess! It's the favourite this year and we all know how last year's favourite performed. :wink:

MarcusDGST6811 wrote:I'm sur it won't be #1 but I've voted for Gorilla! :-D
"Gorilla" is an underdog, or should I say underape, for sure, but anything can happen. :wink:

Tripolis wrote:I'm surprised with some of your poll options, to be honest!

Knowing you, a female artist will most probably top your chart so that leaves out "Can't Hold Us", "Gorilla" and "Kiss You". And I don't think you'd love "Walking On Air" that much so, it probably will just fall short too. "Bad" probably will suffer the same fate. So that leaves us with "Work Bitch", "Wrecking Ball", "Do What U Want", "Lose To Win" & "Skipping A Beat" (which I haven't heard of). I'll probably go with "Wrecking Ball" on this one, since I know you really love Miley and this track, being the best of her career, will probably take home "Song of the Year" honours here. 8-)
Which poll options surprised you?

I love your reasoning though! :lol: You know my music taste very well so let's see if you're right for a second year in a row. 8-)

taraella wrote:Here are my opinions:

Rihanna - Bad: I believe there are better contenders for #1 on your list, but I may be biased since I haven't liked Rihanna in recent years due to her behaviour (in fact she hasn't had a top 5 hit in my chart since Only Girl went #5 in 2010).

Britney - Work Bitch: Actually much better than Hold It Against Me in my opinion. Out of your list I would vote for this one personally.

Jordin - Skipping a Beat: I don't know that one. Most of Jordin's stuff is OK though.

Fantasia - Lose To Win: I personally can never really like Fantasia too much I think, not after she defeated my favorite American Idol contestant ever in the 2004 final. Still I would say this hit would be quite good if you like that style of music. Still not my cup of tea though.

One Direction - Kiss You: Quite good actually.

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us: I didn't really like (or hate) this one. Same Love was great though - it has become the biggest hip hop song ever for me. I wonder if Same Love has a chance in your countdown?

Lady Gaga - Do What U Want: Hated this one, unfortunately.

Katy Perry - Walking on Air: I prefer Unconditionally.

Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball: I SUSPECT THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE THE WINNER. This one is quite good too honestly, and I would have liked it more if not for the video (what a way to wreck a song). Believe it or not, in my yearly countdowns she got silver twice (2007 and 2010) and both were close defeats. Just last year she got #10. So I never counted Miley out of anything before - Can't Be Tamed was disappointing (especially after When I Look At You) but she could definitely rebound from that. Now if only the old Miley would come back.

As for 2013 being underwhelming in music? Over here from my perspective, 2013 has been an exceptionally strong year! Here we had a song going 21x Platinum within a year, the biggest hip hop song ever, three strong Idol favourites (usually there is only one or two), the late rise of Glee all in the same year. Something like this has never happened before.
You should definitely check out "Skipping a Beat"! It's no "Battlefield", but it's so, so catchy! "Same Love" will make the countdown, by the way. It just has zero chance to be #1.

Ah, glad to hear you love Miley too. Personally, I loved both "old" and "new" Miley. They're essentially the same person with pretty much the same sound save for the fact that new Miley's a lot more ratchet and unapologetic.

I guess one of the main reasons I consider 2013 to be a bit underwhelming is because I had such gigantic expectations for some of my favourites and they all, more or less, disappointed me. I've never had this happen before so that definitely blemished the year in music for me. Plus, most of the big hits this year have either been weak or just average for me.

MostFierce wrote:Wrecking Ball is serious contender for your #1...if not confirm..unless u wanna surprised us.. :D
I do love to surprise you guys. 8-)

Era wrote:Cannonball for #1 8-) 8-)
I wish "Diamonds" was still eligible :cry: :lol: :lol:
Ironically, if this chart were based solely on plays during the year, regardless of when the song was released, "Diamonds" would be #1! It's actually my most played song of 2012 and 2013! :o

Fan wrote:Voted for Wrecking Ball.
Looks like that one's the poll favourite this year!

Benny wrote:I voted for Gorilla, though I hope that "Can't Hold Us" will make it in the end (it's by far my favourite song from your list). :wink:
Like I said in the OP, "Can't Hold Us" probably has the best chance among the male acts to top this, given their number of days atop my daily chart, but that's not always the best indicator of success here so we'll see. :D

king_oxymoron wrote:Taken a total punt on 'Can't Hold Us' - excited to learn how wrong I am 8-)
I'm imagining your face if it actually does win! :lol:

Spartan wrote:YES!! This is gonna slay, I went with Wrecking Ball.
Good guess! :wink:

UKMusicLova wrote:I don't know I went for 'Lose to Win' but I had a feeling! EXCITED.COM
Completely left field choice, but just might be an insane enough pick to win! 8-)

ThomyX wrote:Ooh, I'll follow this! :D I have no idea about the winner just yet.
Perhaps as the countdown progresses, you'll have a better idea of who'll top it.

Wardo wrote:I'd love to see someone unexpected taking the crow (i.g. Fantasia), but let's see what'll happen!
Fantasia has a better chance that most people are probably giving her credit for. "Lose To Win" was a huge radio hit here.

Cless wrote:Jordin about to slay with a buzz single. :cry:

Wrecking Ball ftw!
I'm flabbergasted that so few people are expecting her to win this. *Checks username* :lol:

Mainshow wrote:I'll definitely follow this! I really loved to read your well-written texts. They made me smile for a few times...i even wanna eat some peanut butter right now xD However, I really wanna see Macklemore and Smiley being part of your Top, since I sincerely think that both of them had a huge impact on this year musically. They put so much effort and their success is well-deserved. When it comes to the other bitches you mentioned, I think that their releases were a bit disappointing somehow....
Aw, thanks, Sven! Glad to have stirred your appetite too. :lol: I can guarantee that both Macklemore and Miley will be in the Top 10. :wink:

MarcusDGST6811 wrote:When will U start? :-D
Now. 8-)

Kai wrote:Bookmarked 8-)

I voted for DWUW, but I guess we'll have a nice surprise.
Can't wait for this countdown!
Aw, thanks! Hope it lives up to your expectations! :D

FurRare wrote:
MarcusDGST6811 wrote:I'm sure it won't be #1 but I've voted for Gorilla! :-D
Same here!! 8-)
Don't count out "Gorilla" just yet, guys. :wink:

TheResonantIpod wrote:Wrecking Ball came at the end of the chart times for most of us, unless Akini doesn't use a point weight System, Wrecking Ball could win

I don't use one for two reasons: (1) I run a daily chart so the struggle to keep track of points from that would be too real and (2) many times my favourite songs are released in the fourth quarter and I don't want them to be at a disadvantage.

We'll see about "Can't Hold Us". 8-)

taraella wrote:
TheResonantIpod wrote:Wrecking Ball came at the end of the chart times for most of us, unless Akini doesn't use a point weight System, Wrecking Ball could win

Why? I thought hits that came at the end generally lose out in a point weight System. That's why I use an impression based system with the principle of a 'transferrable vote'. This, however, sometimes inflates the ranking of late hits.
All of this sounds very elaborate. I just rate the song out of 10 and work from there. :lol:
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts