Tony's Top 2013 Hits / Albums (COMPLETE)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Blondini » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:06 am

TONY'S TOP 2013 HITS / ALBUMS

There's no top 150 or 200 this time - i couldn't be bothered and not enough people check the links to justify it. The album chart is a top 52(!) - i could have made a top 1000 on that since i discovered free streaming this year but in the end i couldn't be bothered to go beyond the vital 52.

Songs first then (and it includes non-2013 releases that i discovered):

75 Kid Cudi - King Wizard VIDEO (language)
His other hit Just What I Am lands at 76! :lol:

74 Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree VIDEO
73 Misstress Barbara - Dance Me To The End Of Love AUDIO
Leonard Cohen hits the dancefloor!

72 Bat For Lashes - A Wall VIDEO
71 Say Lou Lou - Julian VIDEO
Charted at 38 last year as Saint Lou Lou.

70 Electric Lady Lab - Open Doors VIDEO
>>>>>>Gaga. Uses Jan Hammer's Crockett's Theme.

69 Marsheaux - Inhale VIDEO
Ladytron.

68 Jessie Ware - Sweet Talk VIDEO
Still don't like the video. The child stand-in device is over-used in videos and to me this is an adult love song. It's creepy having kids do it.

67 Bat For Lashes - Lilies VIDEO
Last of her two. Brilliant video.

66 Polly Scattergood - Wanderlust VIDEO
If Goldfrapp's new stuff bored you you may like this track that apes their synth output. Nothing to do with Bjork or Sophie E-B.

65 Anna Calvi - Sing To Me VIDEO
64 Charli XCX - Take My Hand VIDEO
I was gutted this wasn't promoted beyond the Nirvana-tribute video. Far better than I Love It and also better than her other solo singles this year. This video shows why she's a popstar in waiting. Flick that hair! Disappointing album, though.

63 Bethel Music feat. Jenn Johnson - Chasing You LYRIC VIDEO
I left my church this year - this track therefore charts about twenty places lower than it might have. A great track regardless of what you take from it, though. Not unlike a Diana Vickers or Bo Bruce song.

62 Carrie Underwood - Two Black Cadillacs VIDEO
61 Sneaky Sound System - Big VIDEO
I was bowled over when i discovered the latest album by this previously urban-based Australian outfit was glorious disco-pop! Sadly the album falls out of my permitted range for inclusion as it came out in 2011. But no such restriction on songs!

60 Diana Vickers - Cinderella VIDEO
59 Swiss Lips - Carolyn VIDEO
Synth pop from a group that have mystifyingly failed to make radio playlists. Video might bring back memories for elder video game players.

58 Ballet School - Heartbeat Overdrive VIDEO (/Boys Again EP: Ghost / Crush / Yaoi)
Synth pop that mixes Madonna, Cocteaus and New Order.

57 Chvrches - Lies (2013 Version) VIDEO
Beating the #79 position of the original version.

56 Goldfrapp - Annabel VIDEO (music is at 2:48)
55 London Grammar - Strong VIDEO
54 Wang Chung - Rent Free OFFICIAL Horror Film Montage VIDEO
Yes! Them! Much funkier and funnier than they ever were and better music!

53 Man Without Machines - Something's Happening Here VIDEO
And today's quirky synth pop! The last of only three male vocal tracks in this segment of songs. Check out the female keyboardist!

52 Regina Spektor - You've Got Time FAN VIDEO
From the fantastic Netflix show Orange Is The New Black. It's a shame this song wasn't promoted, too. By far Regina's most immediate release.

51 Cher - The Fall (Kurt's Blues) FAN VIDEO (language)
In the mid-90's Cher made a hard rock blues album that her record company rejected. This album is now finally officially released. I charted this tribute to Kurt Cobain at #1 - it and various songs on the album are a revelation. Sadly she was forced to churn out disco songs after Believe and rubbish ballads like on her new album.

50-41 tomorrow.

Last edited by Blondini on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:10 am, edited 7 times in total.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:28 pm

74 Kelly Clarkson - Underneath The Tree
72 Bat For Lashes - A Wall
68 Jessie Ware - Sweet Talk
65 Anna Calvi - Sing To Me
56 Goldfrapp - Annabel
52 Regina Spektor - You've Got Time

I like all of these! :D

66 Polly Scattergood - Wanderlust VIDEO
If Goldfrapp's new stuff bored you.
That is a sinful comment. :x :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby jszmiles » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:50 pm

finally!!!

Woo for Say Lou Lou and Bat For Lashes (Lilies was huge hit in my list in 2012!) and Chvrches!
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Vindrag » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Will check out the songs I don't know soon!

Thanks for Polly though! I'm sitting here trying to decide if I should purchase the single or album version of Wanderlust. I adore the video! :D thx!
Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby Blondini » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:22 am

HITS:

50 Sia with The Weeknd and Diplo - Elastic Heart
FAN(?) VIDEO
The highlight of the disappointing second Hunger Games album.

49 Peter Godwin - Images Of Heaven ORIGINAL (RESTORED) VIDEO (nudity)
A lost Brit synth classic from 81/82. The original video was largely banned as it featured soft-core nudity and a female "crucifixion" (rather tame by today's standards). A new video was shot for MTV which now appears to have gone from YouTube. When i searched a few months ago only that version was up on YT, now the restored version of the original has been re-allowed (has more material than the actual original cut found on other sites).

48 Goldfrapp - Drew VIDEO (nudity)
Last of two.

47 Emiliana Torrini - Speed Of Dark AUDIO (FULL LENGTH)
No video for this synth nugget. Insane. Album was not full of the same, sadly.

46 Miss Kittin - Come Into My House AUDIO / Bassline
45 Petula Clark - Cut Copy Me VIDEO
One of the major surprises of the year was this gorgeous yearning Saint Etienne-like song.

44 Agnetha Faltskog - Dance Your Pain Away VIDEO
43 Belinda Carlisle - Sun VIDEO
42 Keep Shelly In Athens - Oostende VIDEO
Greek synth / electronica bliss. Second entry after Our Own Dream in last year's 200.

41 Her Royal Harness - Blood and Fire VIDEO
Eurythmics.

--------

ALBUMS:

52 OMD - English Electric
STREAM
51 VV Brown - Samson and Delilah STREAM
A revelation thanks in part to Dave Okumu (Jessie Ware) and Pascal Gabriel.

50 Natalia Kills - Trouble STREAM
Why is Lady Fartplop big when this girl is ignored? :-?

49 Katy Perry - Prism STREAM
Would be in my top ten if it was just the 9 tracks i liked and not 7 other crap songs.

48 Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob STREAM
47 Deap Vally - Sistrionix STREAM
46 Sons Of The Sea - Sons Of The Sea STREAM
Brandon Boyd of Incubus doing a smooth soft rock album. Now removed from sale and consequently Deezer and Spotify. :-? So i would suggest downloading that YouTube upload. Brandon must be in one his moods.

45 Dido - Girl Who Got Away STREAM
As with Perry, this would be top ten if it was just the half i loved and not the total dull blandness of the rest.

44 Capital Cities - In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery STREAM
43 Hurts - Exile STREAM
Major drop from the #6 of Happiness. :-?

42 Stereophonics - Graffiti On The Train STREAM / BONUS TRACK Zoe / BONUS TRACK Overland
41 The Flaming Lips - The Terror STREAM
Includes full uninterrupted stream as final track. :P
Last edited by Blondini on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:24 am

Blondini wrote:
48 Goldfrapp - Drew VIDEO
47 Emiliana Torrini - Speed Of Dark AUDIO (FULL LENGTH)
45 Petula Clark - Cut Copy Me VIDEO

--------

ALBUMS:

[color=#FF0000]41 The Flaming Lips - The Terror
STREAM
Fan of all these, need to give more love to that FL album this year! Shame there's no more Goldfrapp! :wink:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby jszmiles » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:25 am

Dido's album was great good, Hurts only OK! Tegan and Sara also OK... Katy is still wacky, but has risen from being utter shit.
jszmiles
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 am

Songwise, Cinderalla, Underneath the Tree and Strong are my favourites.

Albumswise it's in insult VV isn't top 50! :lol:
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Spartan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Carrie Underwood and London Grammar songs are both great.
The Katy album was a massive letdown for me.
Spartan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Sweet Talk, Cinderella, Strong, Elastic Heart - all GOOD!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:39 am

HITS:

40 White Lies - First Time Caller
VIDEO
Described by the band as the best song they ever wrote (it's not but it's the best on the album), it's a mystery why the media turned their backs on this song and album. When the over-rated Bastille and Imagine Dragons get fawned over. :evil:

39 Zombi - Sapphire AUDIO / Digitalis
KUUUUUUUUUBAAAAA!!!!! Click the bloody thing. Epic instrumental electro - shades of Tangerine Dream (or Kavinsky if you need a newer reference), the second half is particularly amazing. Originally b-side of Digitalis in 2007, Sapphire was a 2013 single with new mixes. Steve Moore will chart on albums as part of Miracle.

38 Caitlin Rose - Only A Clown VIDEO
Bill, Daniel, anyone who loved Rilo Kiley..... American alt-country artist who strangely sold much better in UK. Her album is one of my faves.

37 Phosphorescent - Song For Zula VIDEO
Wonderful dream-rock (Mercury Rev, BabyBird) with a strange video. Again, the continued support of mainstream populist "indie" while gems like this go unnoticed (bar indie stations like XFM and 6 Music) is a crime against music. This would have been a top 20 hit in 1998. :evil:

36 Low Sea - Afflictions Of Love VIDEO (with film footage)
Female / male electro duo (one of several on the chart!).

35 Low Sea - Remote Viewing VIDEO
Last of their two. Produced by Stephen Hague (Pet Shop Boys / New Order / Dubstar). If you like Little Boots...

34 London Grammar - Metal and Dust AUDIO
Best song on the album. I wish it had a video - i gave you a pretty pic instead of the LG stream upload.

33 The Temper Trap - Miracle VIDEO
I already ranted last year when the awesome Trembling Hands under-performed due to media indifference. :cry: I honestly don't see the problem?

32 Avec Sans - Heartbreak Hi AUDIO STREAM VIDEO
More female / male electro. Nice title pun (it refers to an old teen drama Heartbreak High). They're not French.

31 The Polyphonic Spree - You Don't Know Me VIDEO
A decade ago, indie fans fawned over this band. I was never that keen. On the new album they have a fuller sound reminiscent of late 80's REM and recent Arcade Fire. This chugs along nicely and has a good message.

ALBUMS:

40 Kid Cudi - Indicud
STREAM
Best rap album of the year (Kanye and Shystie didn't quite make the chart). Great production.

39 Maps - Vicissitude STREAM
38 Chvrches - The Bones Of What You Believe STREAM
37 Wang Chung - Tazer Up! STREAM
36 Marsheaux - Inhale STREAM
Greek female electronica duo.

35 Sigur Ros - Kveikur STREAM
34 Phosphorescent - Muchacho STREAM ("De Lujo" Deluxe Edition with live tracks)
33 Grumbling Fur - Glynnaestra STREAM
Modern progressive music by a duo featuring the ubiquitous Daniel O'Sullivan of Miracle and Mothlite.

32 The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law STREAM
Follows The Big Roar (#6). I can't look at the cover of this album without thinking of my dog Jack who died around the same time this came out. :cry:

31 Karl Bartos - Off The Record STREAM
Former Kraftwerk member dusts off his unused archives. 8-)

The next update will have pictures and will be a bit slower on numbers.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tansike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:39 am

Great to see Carrie's "Two Black Cadillacs" in the Top50 :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:01 pm

^It's at 62. But i get what you meant. :D
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby jszmiles » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:56 pm

Chvrches are so low!!!

Metal and Dust is indeed best LG tune like ever.

Will click on some while compiling next week's chart, thanks for shouting my name :lol:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:34 pm

38 Caitlin Rose - Only A Clown - I'll try her album! :D

ALBUMS:

40 Kid Cudi - Indicud - I like some of his stuff.
33 Grumbling Fur - Glynnaestra - This sounds interesting!
32 The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law - Bless your dog, I remember some of this, I liked it, will download to get more in to it for myself.
31 Karl Bartos - Off The Record - OMG curious to hear this! :o 8-)

Great list so far mate!
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby navi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:48 pm

Many good songs, best Ballet school, London grammar and Phosphorescent.
I wonder same as you are for everyones ignoring the Temper trap :o
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 pm

I gave the White Lies song a listen despite the Bastille shade ( :evil: :P ) and I had heard it before already! I imagine Radio 1 have played it a few times. It's really nice

'Metal & Dust' is really gorgeous. Is it your favourite Tony?
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:56 am

UKMusicLova wrote:I gave the White Lies song a listen despite the Bastille shade ( :evil: :P ) and I had heard it before already! I imagine Radio 1 have played it a few times. It's really nice

'Metal & Dust' is really gorgeous. Is it your favourite Tony?
1. They never playlisted it, though. Nor did Radio 2. I mention those two groups because i love both electronica / synth and indie and those groups do not represent the best of either. I wish they did because Bad Blood is a brilliant song and Radioactive a good song. He should be shot for that Corona cover.

Blondini wrote:34 London Grammar - Metal and Dust AUDIO
Best song on the album.
HITS:

30 Seasick Steve - Down On The Farm
VIDEO
Any Americans (if John ever decides to pop his head in this thread :cry: ) and anyone who loves a bit of ZZ Top (or Kings Of Leon / Aerosmith) - LISTEN!! Radio 2 (and 1) should have playlisted this blistering blues-rocker.

29 Inouwee - Essence VIDEO
Danish synth pop, great beat.

28 Katy Perry - Unconditionally VIDEO
The stunning video for this converted me to the song, initially i thought she was twisting the title into a melody that didn't fit! :lol: She still is but you just surrender to it. :D Though the public as a whole haven't, really. Her first top ten on my chart, her first #1 and her first year-end song. There are several more that are a revelation on Prism, though.

27 Mothlite - Something In The Sky VIDEO
I've been a fan of synth duo Miracle for a few years, i didn't know that last year one of the members Daniel O'Sullivan (#33 on Albums with Grumbling Fur so far) had his own project - another duo called Mothlite. This is pop inspired by the likes of Tears For Fears (the same influence on Hurts' latest) and this song is definitely on that TFF tip though more humourous, as seen by the video.

26 Banks - This Is What It Feels Like VIDEO (colour version) (London EP: / Waiting Game / Bedroom Wall / Change)
Jillian Banks came from the US and got attention over here after Radio 1's Zane Lowe played a demo. This third major single contains a couple of great videos - i only link the one that would have got a top 75 place - but This Is... is particularly stunning. A Jamie Woon minimalist urban production complimented by simple shots of her stunning face and figure contorting in sexual frustration - the colour version is sponsored by Garnier Fructis shampoo! :lol: She deserves to come first or second in Sound Of 2014 (two other nominees are coming up!).

25 Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Flatline VIDEO
^ A far better visual than anything on the release or video. RANT ALERT!!! Radio turning this down for political reasons while the vastly over-rated Haim are lapped up and sell loads INFURIATES me. :evil: :evil: There is no musical difference, apart from this being far better than anything Haim have come up with (and i adored Fleetwood Mac and Ladyhawke and all the other Mac / Nicks inspired songs of recent times). Haim are OK for a few songs, that's it. The only reason they're fawned over and other sunny America-pop isn't is because they play as a real band and gig their asses off. I'm not getting into the Friday release or shitty promotion - if radio backed it in the first place, none of that would matter.

24 M83 with Susanne Sundfor - Oblivion FAN VIDEO (with film clips)
From the (quite good) Tom Cruise sci-fi film Oblivion is this dramatic piece. Shame there's no actual official video. Sundfor is a great vocalist though i didn't like the solo stuff i checked.

------

ALBUMS:

30 M83 - Oblivion (OST)

STREAM
Not quite the best soundtrack of the year, that happens to be another sci-fi film... :wink:

29 Visage - Hearts and Knives
STREAM
Steve Strange got some old friends together (including Robin Simon who had been in Ultravox) for this first Visage album in 29 years. I had no idea it would be this good, better than the new OMD! :o After seeing Strange dodder about on reality TV you think he's lost the ability, but no!

28 Miss Kittin - Calling From The Stars
STREAM
Not only is this a double album at nearly two hours but it's a dance album. For a dance album to be that long and never be boring is some achievement! :lol:

27 Prefab Sprout - Crimson / Red
By now just Paddy McAloon, the ninth Prefab album was full of sneakily catchy intelligent pop.

26 The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars
STREAM
Gutsier and darker than the first album.

25 Her Royal Harness - The Hunting Room
Norway-based synth duo. Teutonic which is why i referenced Eurythmics.

24 Tangerine Dream and Co. (Woody Jackson, The Alchemist, Oh No and DJ Shadow) - The Music of Grand Theft Auto V, Volume 2: The Score (game OST)
STREAM
I don't play games but TD are synth / progressive legends. They are the standouts on this fantastically put together set that incorporates all the credited acts throughout (Shadow is not credited on the game but he did some final mixing). North Yankton Memories is typically stunning TD, taking you back to eighties classics like Risky Business and the more recent Drive owes a huge debt to them which brings me to the next album...
Last edited by Blondini on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Plym » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:02 am

b stanning for kid cudi! :o :o
Plym
Take Care

Postby jszmiles » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Oblivion <3 I've charted it even higher than you did :P
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:19 pm

I actually find Unconditionally to be one of Katy's worst singles of recent times.
The M83 album is great.
Spartan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Oblivion was great, never checked out the rest of the sdtk though because I figured it was just score music.

Visage's album was a nice unexpected comeback.

Need to check the Miss Kittin album out, I like what I've heard.

Civil Wars is nice, something that just missed out on my chart. Hopefully this isn't the last album, but they seem no intention on making up.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Blondini » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:15 am

NothingFails wrote:Oblivion was great, never checked out the rest of the sdtk though because I figured it was just score music.

Visage's album was a nice unexpected comeback.

Need to check the Miss Kittin album out, I like what I've heard.

Civil Wars is nice, something that just missed out on my chart. Hopefully this isn't the last album, but they seem no intention on making up.
Don't forget Seasick Steve the veteran blues-man and peer of Hendrix who found fame in UK decades later. :wink:

Oblivion score is one of the less "score-ey" scores. Though you may find it typically long.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Unconditionally is definitely not for me, I find it really poor. On the flipside, Flatline is quality.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Blondini » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 pm

HITS:

23 Chloe Howl - Rumour VIDEO (VERSION 1) (EP: / No Strings / I Wish I Could Tell You)

BBC Sound Of 214 tip #3 on my chart (see Say Lou Lou at 71 and Banks at 26). As ever, i was hot on the case of most of them before anyone (NOBODY on this site knew about Kate Nash or Marina or Bat For Lashes until i posted them :P ). Though Serby was stanning for Chloe from about the same time...
This is sparky synth-pop with intelligent lyrics and attitude - taking her cue from The Fear-era Lily Allen. She gave the EP away as a primer 10 months ago. Subsequently No Strings was a paid release single and Rumour will get a big push at the end of March (both have second videos, though i prefer the originals). Two more Sound Of 2014 releases to come...

22 Phildel - The Disappearance Of The Girl VIDEO
First of two by this new talent. She made videos for nearly every song on her album of the same name. For fans of Katie Melua, Sarah Brightman, Bat For Lashes.

21 Plumb - Beautiful History (Ian Nieman Remix) AUDIO STREAM (track 7)
Need You Now is a great album but no song from it makes my year-end - the title track was a 2012 contender but only grew on me in 2013. From the Need You Now remix package comes this fantastic club mix of the Beautiful History collection title track.

20 The Birthday Massacre - Calling FAN VIDEO
The goth-synth band invited fans to make videos for tracks from their recent album. An astonishing 160 videos were posted and one was chosen by the group as an official video (i didn't like it much, though). This one here was one of my faves, a very well shot performance / storyline piece - the "singer" is particularly enthrallling though some female fans took umbrage at her charms! There are two more to come.

19 Dido - End Of Night VIDEO
The best single she's done since Sand In My Shoes, the chill-dance diva returns (there are several other such examples on the album among the Blunt-y coffee table bores). Yet Radio 1 refusing to support it killed it stone dead, Radio 2 audience aren't into clubby sounds. :cry:

18 Banks - Warm Water VIDEO
Why this woman isn't snuggling among Drake and Rihanna in the charts i don't know. Radio 1 not playlisting it didn't help. Remember Me and U by Cassie?
This is as luxurious and sensual as the title suggests. And i'm not capitalizing her name - iTunes doesn't - as far as i can tell, it's just a YouTube style. There are no such artists as BANKS, CHVRCHES, HAIM, LIGHTS or KISS. It's artwork, not a typing instruction! Either it stands for something or you're SHOUTING. (yes, i know i relented on changing Churches to Chvrches but that's as far as i'm prepared to go! :oops: :lol: )

17 Light Asylum - Shallow Tears VIDEO (2010 AUDIO VERSION)
This song and video literally move me to tears. They are a female / male synth duo (the last of SIX on the chart! :o ) and this is on their 2013 album. Though the video contains a 2010 recording. Imagine Joan Armatrading / Alison Moyet's powerful vocals over a pounding melancholic synth track a la Ultravox with an industrial NIN-ish edge.

Now don't just be commenting on Dido, alright? :D

ALBUMS:

23 Kavinsky - OutRun

STREAM
...and the spirit of Tangerine Dream and Drive and all those retro electro cliches lives on in French fantasist Kavinsky. Features Drive smash Nightcall (later covered by London Grammar) and several other singles and classic electro.

22 Steven Price - Gravity (OST)
STREAM
Building on the electronic / orchestral mix that M83 had with Oblivion, this is the score of the year - the most terrifying film music since John Williams in Jaws. When that motif comes in (starting with track 2 Debris) you KNOW sh*t is about to happen! Fantastic film, too.

21 The Polyphonic Spree - Yes, It's True
STREAM
Better than Arcade Fire. Yes, it's true! :lol:

20 Beyonce - Beyonce
VIDEO PLAYLIST STREAM
Well, this was a shock! :o :lol: I'd not been a huge fan previously having only charted a handful of songs - only Lose My Breath (DC) being huge. The online premiere of all the videos enabled me to experience a new album in a way never done before! I though Solange was the only real artist in the Knowles family but this shows daring, depth and just great fun (i now know that 4 has some of these qualities, too). I now have the physical CD / DVD set and it grew on me even more. There's no Deezer or Spotify streaming yet but you can find all the videos on Youkou. The first official single XO is my current #1 but i left it to 2014's year-end as the UK promotion didn't start until this Saturday just gone!

19 London Grammar - If You Wait
London Grammar YouTube channel
They don't like stream sites.
The second one i own on CD is this chillout / indie crossover album. Hannah Reid is a legend in her lifetime and this is so much more affecting and interesting than Emeli Sande or Adele (though it overstays its welcome with a little too much blandness even on the non-deluxe physical).

18 Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
STREAM
Autre Ne Veut ("I Want No Other") AKA Arthur Ashin - American vocalist / multi-instrumentalist who channels Prince and classic r and b into an alternative urban downtempo sound. James Blake??? :lol: :lol: Who needs that over-rated lightweight? This is neurotic, sexy, vibrant and actually not a million miles from...

17 Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
STREAM
The third one i own physically is the first NIN album since Reznor went off to do movies and How To Destroy Angels. Far funkier and dance-oriented than before, it's not in the same league as the early electro-rock classics but it's a decent set, evoking the likes of Underworld, Aphex Twin and Thom Yorke.
Last edited by Blondini on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Return to Year End Personal Charts