Tony's Top 50 Hits / Albums 2016 (COMPLETE! pg.4)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Blondini » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:45 pm

HITS

9 Lisa Mitchell - The Boys

Stunning laid-back dreamy synth from UK-born Aus poplet. Sadly her album was disappointing.

ALBUMS

9 Anohni - Hopelessness
DEEZER

Antony Hegarty (of "and The Johnsons") finally made his/her female name known and released this hard-hitting set of synth music provided by Hudson Mohawke and Oneohtrix Point Never. Railing at the powers that be for ruining the world or failing to live up to promises (there's a track called Obama).

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:00 pm

HITS

8 Rihanna - Kiss It Better

This was an astounding surprise! Not since the days of Umbrella and Shut Up and Drive have i loved a Rihanna song. This takes inspiration from Prince's sexy guitar grooves and the vid is indecently hot :P . Big hit among music forum fans but the streaming masses prefer the likes of Needed Me (good but hardly essential) and the bloody awful Work :roll: . Her album Anti i charted but it's way below my 50.

ALBUMS

8 Pixie Geldof - I'm Yours
DEEZER

Already said it. This also includes alt-country vibes.

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:13 pm

9 Lisa Mitchell - The Boys
Absolute bliss
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Blondini » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:15 pm

HITS

7 White Lies - Hold Back Your Love

A great synth track - there was a (too) short radio / video edit later but i prefer the full length grat single version. This is very eighties (it sounds a bit Radio Ga Ga!) and it's horrendous how only Radio 2 and XFM still support them.

ALBUMS

7 Anoushka Shankar - Land Of Gold
DEEZER

Daughter of Ravi, sister of Norah Jones, this was a major landmark album for her. A concept album reflecting on the refugee crisis in the world now. Largely instrumental but very powerful. Features a great title song that missed my 50 and a track with MIA that is not on stream but it's also the only weak track.

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 pm

HITS

6 Charli XCX - Secret (Shh) / Trophy / Vroom Vroom / Paradise (with Hannah Diamond) (Vroom Vroom EP)
DEEZER EP STREAM

I like the title track - the only one to get a video - and the pop ditty with Hannah but it's Trophy (which samples Uma Thurman from Pulp Fiction) and the dark, twisted grooves of Secret that made this release a chart-topper and her highest YE Hits position yet. Produced in collab with the PC Music gang and released on her own Vroom Vroom label imprint, this is an indication of some of the sound of her next album. She says it's half this and half pure pop but she's dumped entire albums before so don't take that as gospel! :lol:

ALBUMS

6 Broods - Conscious
DEEZER

New Zealand pop duo who i thought were more like an inferior Banks prior to a certain song being entered into the UKMix Forum Song Contest. :wink: They were that to an extent but now they're very much pop - the dark, emotional side.

TOP FIVE REVEALED TOMORROW

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Broods album is fine, my highlight is "All of Your Glory"
heppolo
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:37 pm

15 Allie X - All The Rage
11 All Saints - One Woman Man
8 Rihanna - Kiss It Better
6 Charli XCX - Secret (Shh) / Trophy / Vroom Vroom / Paradise (with Hannah Diamond) (Vroom Vroom EP)
Some nice songs. I hope Charli XCX goes with a similar sound for her next album...

16 David Bowie - Blackstar
6 Broods - Conscious
Two very strong albums :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby Blondini » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:26 pm

HITS

5 Against The Current - Outsiders

A huge anthem that they inexplicably left off the album, this could be Katy Perry or Kelly Clarkson.

ALBUMS

5 Sasha - Late Night Tales presents Sasha: Scene Delete
DEEZER

You may know Sasha from his trance work but this album takes inspiration from chillout acts like Boards Of Canada and is quite remarkable. Major surprise of the year. Not least because the Late Night Tales brand doesn't usually create all new concept albums.

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:38 pm

HITS

4 Broods - Free

This was the incredibly charged pop anthem :wink: that was a big fave on the UKMix Forum Song Contest this year scoring top of the month easily. If you like Ellie Goulding or Marina or La Roux...

ALBUMS

4 Angela Perley and The Howlin' Moons - Homemade Vision
DEEZER

I already said it! :lol:

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:49 pm

HITS

3 Flock Of Dimes - Semaphore

This one is also an anthem but a slow-growing one! :lol: Jenn Wasner is half of Wye Oak, this song is more overtly pop than they are and really should have found a place on radio. Think Feist meets Christine and The Queens. Suzanne Vega if she did synthpop.

ALBUMS

3 Band Of Skulls - By Default
DEEZER

I already said it! :lol:

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:59 pm

HITS

2 School Of Seven Bells - Ablaze

An astonishing slice of dreampop / shoegaze / electronic rock. Written in tribute to Benjamin Curtis and featuring saved clips of his guitar work recorded before he died. :cry: M83 / Curve / Garbage...

ALBUMS

2 Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
DEEZER

I said most of it. It's by far his most popular set commercially and will win awards so most of you will know it eventually...

Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Blondini » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:21 pm

HITS

1 Against The Current - Wasteland

By some distance my fave on both songs and albums, this track took a cue from Taylor Swift's synth classic Style and married that feel with their pop-gothic blues. The video was somewhat ordinary and disappointing, though, i have to say but despite the 500 million plus YouTube views they're not minted. Radio programmers need to die. :evil: For more on them see my "popular" thread in the Rock / Alternative UKMix Forum but be assured they are as much pop as they are rock, if not more on...

ALBUMS

1 Against The Current - In Our Bones
DEEZER

Band Of Skulls, Skeleton Tree, In Our Bones. :o :lol: How weird is that?? :o :lol: Top 30 UK album, bigger than anywhere else in the world, including their US homeland. Covers of rock magazines, billions of YouTube views and still they seem to be unknown on these music forums. How does that work? :o :cry: This is great commercial pop and rock and Chrissy Costanza is an icon.

Last edited by Blondini on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:59 pm

I like that voice a lot.
Against The Current is good, I've known them for a little while and I suppose they can do even better.
heppolo
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 pm

School Of Seven Bells - Ablaze - Remember enjoying, will revisit soon.

Can't go wrong with the new Nick Cave stuff, great entry!

Very pretty #1, funny you mention Style, one of the few TSwizzle songs I can tolerate :lol: Some for me to listen to as usual when I feel like it! :P
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Blondini » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 am

heppolo wrote:
I like that voice a lot.
Right? I was struggling with the references but to me it should be like the female equivalent of a Gotye hit - that kind of slow-build song that radio gets behind. Arty but pop, mainstream by accident. But it didn't happen. :cry:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby heppolo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:02 am

Blondini wrote:
heppolo wrote:
I like that voice a lot.
Right? I was struggling with the references but to me it should be like the female equivalent of a Gotye hit - that kind of slow-build song that radio gets behind. Arty but pop, mainstream by accident. But it didn't happen. :cry:
Radio has given up on art pop it seems. Back to the MOR dance songs at best
heppolo
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Lots I don't know, however I do agree Kiss It Better is one of Rihanna's best in years, nice to see it!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby jszmiles » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:24 am

Good that Sasha is noticed somewhere else than only on my list!

Will check the other hits from your list but no 1 reminds me more of Chvrches than Taylor :wink:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Tansike » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:11 pm

"Free" is fantastic, so glad to see it so high on your list :D

Checked out "In Our Bones" and while i thought the album is solid, it never fully got my attention.
Tansike
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts