Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2016: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which song will be my year-end #1 single?

Church Bells
10%
Daddy Lessons
19%
The Greatest
10%
In Common
10%
Love on the Brain
10%
Million Reasons
24%
Pillowtalk
5%
Slumber Party
10%
Starboy
No votes
Vice
5%

Total votes : 21

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:58 am

After years of complaining about the declining quality of contemporary music, 2016 delivers the finest selection of songs I've heard since the glory days of 2012.

Country music spearheaded the rise in quality this year, and we got some spectacular country tunes from the unlikeliest of sources, with both Beyoncé and Lady Gaga delivering country-heavy or country-leaning singles. Veterans within that genre, Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert, not to be outdone by their R&B and pop counterparts, released some of the best songs either have ever recorded (in Miranda's case, her ultimate best).

Continuing the trend of surprise moves, Rihanna threw her best Etta James impression at us, absolutely stunning us (in the best way possible), and Alicia Keys left her old faithful piano home to record a laidback, chill gem that should have ended the year as one of the biggest radio staples of the decade. Even Britney Spears, who's often criticized for sticking stubbornly within her pure pop music lane, mixed it up a bit, and gave us an island-flavoured, sensual slice of magic, featuring some schoolgirl vocals from a rising R&B phenom.

Others did stick to the script, though, most relevantly the Weeknd and Sia. The Weeknd enlisted the genius of Daft Punk to create the best produced earworm of 2016 - banal lyrics and all - and Sia proved once more that she's this era's queen of the hook, with her uplifting anthem and tribute to our fallen brothers and sisters in that Orlando massacre.

Finally, there was the highly anticipated debut single from a former member of this generation's arguably most iconic boyband, and Zayn won over critics and lured in new fans with an expertly crafted and delivered R&B sex jam.

Last edited by JSparksFan on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 21 times in total.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:22 pm

Wow, that's early, but i'm freaking excited for this. Your YEC is one of the ones i'm really looking forward to every year :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:02 pm

I will try to keep track of your countdown. I can't wait to see "Slumber Party" smashing your charts.
However, I voted for "Million Reasons" to become your #1 in the end. Even though Alicia Keys would be a tough contender as well.

#excited
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Excited, hope to see some great songs on the list.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:44 pm

The trouble with not being about on the forum much is that I have no idea... but I've chosen the one I would want, which is Million Reasons!

Looking forward to it regardless!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:06 am

Many thanks for the comments, guys! :D

Tansike wrote:Wow, that's early, but i'm freaking excited for this. Your YEC is one of the ones i'm really looking forward to every year :D
Aw, thanks! :oops: I feel the same way about your YEC, of course!

Mainshow wrote:I will try to keep track of your countdown. I can't wait to see "Slumber Party" smashing your charts.
However, I voted for "Million Reasons" to become your #1 in the end. Even though Alicia Keys would be a tough contender as well.

#excited
"Million Reasons" is a fantastic choice, but we'll see. :wink:

Nippian93 wrote:Excited, hope to see some great songs on the list.
I hope I don't disappoint!

king_oxymoron wrote:The trouble with not being about on the forum much is that I have no idea... but I've chosen the one I would want, which is Million Reasons!

Looking forward to it regardless!
I hope we're more in sync this year. :lol:

"Million Reasons" is a solid guess, though!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:37 am

Just before the main countdown kicks off, let's take a look at the 31 tracks that missed out. No write-ups because they're not worthy of my precious time. :lol:

131. Jason Derulo - Naked

130. Fantasia - No Time for It

129. Fantasia - Sleeping with the One I Love

128. Selena Gomez - Hands to Myself

127. Shakira - Chantaje (feat. Maluma)

126. Aura - Love Somebody

125. Troye Sivan - Youth

124. OneRepublic - Wherever I Go

123. Céline Dion - Si c'était à refaire

122. Alicia Keys - Blended Family (What You Do for Love) [feat. A$AP Rocky]

121. P!nk - Just Like Fire

120. American Authors - Pride

119. The Chainsmokers - Closer (feat. Halsey)

118. Hanna & Andrea - Always on My Mind

117. Yuna - Mannequin

116. DNCE - Body Moves

115. Christina Aguilera - Change

114. Ariana Grande - Be Alright

113. Zayn - Like I Would

112. gnash - I Hate U, I Love U (feat. Olivia O'Brien)

111. Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint Freestyle

110. OneRepublic - Kids

109. Little Mix - Shout Out to My Ex

108. Drake - One Dance (feat. Wizkid & Kyla)

107. Drake - Too Good (feat. Rihanna)

106. Charlie Puth - One Call Away

105. Shawn Mendes - Mercy

104. DΞΔN x Eric Bellinger - I'm Not Sorry

103. Alan Walker - Faded

102. The Weeknd - False Alarm

101. Zayn - Wrong (feat. Kehlani)

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:30 pm

yay for these
119. The Chainsmokers - Closer (feat. Halsey) (even though I don't think it was good enough to be #1 for 3 months but seeing you placed it at #119, I take a gamble neither do you lol)
NothingFails
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:12 am

NothingFails wrote:yay for these
119. The Chainsmokers - Closer (feat. Halsey) (even though I don't think it was good enough to be #1 for 3 months but seeing you placed it at #119, I take a gamble neither do you lol)
Correct! :lol: Most of this year's biggest hits weren't bad, but they were also fairly far off from great.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:22 am

Time for the main show to start! In this batch, you'll find one of the year's biggest hits from one of the world's most successful girl groups, an appearance from one of the biggest singer/actress stars Hollywood has seen in the past two decades, a French ballad from the greatest singer alive, the return single from one of 2013's most promising acts, and a cover of a song sung by a guy few of you are likely to know. Not bad for a first batch, I'd say. 8-)

100. Bastille - Good Grief

The only entry from Bastille, "Good Grief" was a solid return for the guys who gave us the fantastic "Pompeii". In many ways, "Good Grief" is a lesser version of "Pompeii"; it doesn't leave as deep an impression, but it is good enough to spin a few times en route to work. What's going to be left in the world if you're not in it? is a hugely memorable lyric, and works well as the track's tagline.
Code: Select all
Overall Rating: 7.8/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #4
Play Count: 16

099. Céline Dion - Encore un soir

The first of three entries from the great titan of vocals Céline Dion, "Encore un soir" marks the first French song from the songstress that really clicked with me. The melodrama of the melody does a great job of selling the song, particularly in the final 20 seconds, where the chant rises to a dramatic climax. The whole song is lovely, though; after all these years, Céline's voice is still in fine form, and it's refreshing to hear those golden pipes in a foreign language. It's good, but she has better yet to come.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2
Play Count: 29

098. Jennifer Lopez - Ain't Your Mama

Feisty beat? Check. Female empowerment lyrics, with retweetable quotes? Check. It's clearly not the best Jenny from the block has given us, but it's catchy, delivers a message I endorse, and has surprisingly strong replay value.
Play Count: 29

097. Eli Lieb - Good for You

I don't quite remember how I stumbled upon this cover, but, from play #1, I was sold. I like his more passionate interpretation, which contrasts well with the sensual, flirtatious lyrics. It makes them feel more meaningful somehow. I definitely prefer this to the original, though not by much.
Overall Rating: 8/10
Play Count: 10

096. Fifth Harmony - Work from Home (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

On paper, I should probably like this song more. It's got shameless double entendres, a chorus that etches itself into your memory, and a video parading some disgustingly fine male human life forms. In years past, this would have checked most of the criteria to make the Top 20, but it's just not hard-hitting enough to really have a significant impact on me. It is, however, the girls' most played song in my music library (with an enviable play count of 12 spins), and has moved into a firm position as my favourite Fifth Harmony single (and song).
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #9
Play Count: 12
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:10 am

I don't like "Work From Home". I should probably like it more as well but it's way too fromulaic maybe. It's like listening to "Bottle Pop" after getting a masterpiece like "Buttons".

Bastille, Celine are fine.
I am a bit bitter that "Like I Would" didn't reach your Top 100 though xD
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:24 am

Voted for "In Common" but wouldn't mind to see "The Greatest" atop of your list, either.

"Ain't Your Mama" is one of my favorite songs of the year... probably Top 3 to be honest. :oops: And i don't know why, but it has become my favorite song by JLO as well. But I have to say I still have to check out her discography, I only know a few hits so far. :lol:

Nice to see "Just Like Fire" by P!nk as she's one of my favorite artists of all time, however it's one of her weaker singles in my opinion.

"Closer" is awesome.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:13 am

Thanks for the comments, you two! :)

Mainshow wrote:I don't like "Work From Home". I should probably like it more as well but it's way too fromulaic maybe. It's like listening to "Bottle Pop" after getting a masterpiece like "Buttons".

Bastille, Celine are fine.
I am a bit bitter that "Like I Would" didn't reach your Top 100 though xD
I suppose my issue with "Work from Home" is similar. There's nothing about the song that really jumps out at you. There's no razzle-dazzle, so to say. :lol:

Hopefully, my ranking for "Pillowtalk" makes up for that.

luckyONE wrote:Voted for "In Common" but wouldn't mind to see "The Greatest" atop of your list, either.

"Ain't Your Mama" is one of my favorite songs of the year... probably Top 3 to be honest. :oops: And i don't know why, but it has become my favorite song by JLO as well. But I have to say I still have to check out her discography, I only know a few hits so far. :lol:

Nice to see "Just Like Fire" by P!nk as she's one of my favorite artists of all time, however it's one of her weaker singles in my opinion.

"Closer" is awesome.
Solid pick! I think "In Common" is your year-end #1 frontrunner actually, so we could end up having the same song of the year.

Interesting that you like "Ain't Your Mama" so much. Have you heard "Jenny from the Block", "Love Don't Cost a Thing", or "Waiting for Tonight"? It'd definitely be rare to find someone who likes "Ain't Your Mama" more than one of those.

Totally agree with that. She's so much better than that song; even "Bridge of Light" is in a different league from "Just Like Fire".
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:03 am

This next batch features my most played male act of 2016; Tansike's all-time favourite music act; a Disney graduate; a South African-born man, who doubles as a major YouTube personality; and the greatest country singer in music history.

095. Frank Ocean - Nikes

Dreamy melody, powerful lyrics, intriguing video. This song is but a teaser of Frank Ocean's greatness, which we were fortunate to see the full extent of on the album cuts on Blonde. He's chosen this as the lead (and only, perhaps) single from the record, so it's his sole entry here this year.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #6
Play Count: 21

094. Troye Sivan - Wild

The first of two entries from Troye Sivan, "Wild" boasts a catchy chorus, and verses narrating his toxic, all-consuming, forbidden love affair with a former flame. It's a solid second best from him.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #6
Play Count: 14

093. Kerli - Blossom

I love songs with themes of not only surviving great challenges, but emerging from these trials a stronger, wiser, all-around better person. "Blossom" does a great job of likening the blossoming of a flower to a human evolution, where the individual is reborn from dire conditions (shivering and weathering storms, a lifetime with no rain, finding sunlight in the grey) a greater person than she was before. Its accompanying visual is even more impressive, ranking as one of my Top 5 favourite clips of the year. "Blossom" is Kerli's only entry in my countdown this year, but Tansike's influence will be felt even more as we move towards the upper echelons of this list.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #9
Play Count: 13

092. Zendaya - Something New (feat. Chris Brown)

I was never a fan of Zendaya's. Even "Replay", which many people seemed to think was okay, was annoying to me for a long while, so I checked this out primarily because of Chris Brown. To her credit, Zendaya does a great job selling this R&B cut. The subject matter - an anonymous one-night stand - isn't anything revolutionary, but the beat is fresh and lends itself to replays (no pun intended).
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
Play Count: 10

091. Carrie Underwood - Dirty Laundry

It's rare to see a Carrie Underwood single so low on one of my year-end countdowns, but this one is just 'good'. Lyrically, it's several country miles off her best, and there aren't any fun vocal acrobatics here. I do like the lyric, All the Ajax in the world ain't gonna clean your dirty laundry, but I suppose going from murdering a cheating husband in "Two Black Cadillacs" to simply airing out (his) dirty laundry in this song, it feels tame.
Play Count: 28
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:17 am

Nikes is nice but there are other songs I much prefer on Blond
NothingFails
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:21 pm

A bit sad to see some of my 2016 favorites fall short of the Top 100 ("Shout Out To My Ex", "Be Alright", and especially "Closer")...but at least they got a mention! :lol:

• "Good Grief" never quite clicked with me, but I definitely love the "Pompeii" shout-out! That one landed at No. 12 on my Top 50 of 2014.
• I've only just BARELY dipped my toe into the ocean of Céline's French catalog, but "Encore Un Soir" would certainly be one of my favorites thus far (along with "Pour que tu m'aimes encore.")
• 5H really had to work, work, work, work, work, work, work for those 12 plays, eh? Even if that's the best they can manage, it's great that you've finally found a song of theirs you can appreciate (at least somewhat, anyway.)
• Like you, I'd say that "Wild" is my second favorite from Troye. It's a close call with "Youth" - but "Lost Boy" is the clear winner. <3

Off to an (unsurprisingly) solid start, and the write-ups are an (unsurprisingly) entertaining read! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Ain't Your Mama is too low! glad it's at least included tho
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:03 pm

We haven't started too well! :lol: The only one of your ten I'm massively sold on is Work From Home (surprised you don't like it more) - I am a big fan of Wild but that was 2015 for me. Also like Ain't Your Mama, but not enough. Good Grief on the other hand I find really weak for Bastille and it turned me off the era in all honesty.

Typically, there are many in your 100 and below section I love much more - Selena, both OneRepublic songs, the other Troye song, Alan Walker and Shawn Mendes mostly!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:22 am

Many thanks for the comments, gents! :D

NothingFails wrote:Nikes is nice but there are other songs I much prefer on Blond
Likewise! I do enjoy its video, though.

phoenix98 wrote:A bit sad to see some of my 2016 favorites fall short of the Top 100 ("Shout Out To My Ex", "Be Alright", and especially "Closer")...but at least they got a mention! :lol:

• "Good Grief" never quite clicked with me, but I definitely love the "Pompeii" shout-out! That one landed at No. 12 on my Top 50 of 2014.
• I've only just BARELY dipped my toe into the ocean of Céline's French catalog, but "Encore Un Soir" would certainly be one of my favorites thus far (along with "Pour que tu m'aimes encore.")
5H really had to work, work, work, work, work, work, work for those 12 plays, eh? Even if that's the best they can manage, it's great that you've finally found a song of theirs you can appreciate (at least somewhat, anyway.)
• Like you, I'd say that "Wild" is my second favorite from Troye. It's a close call with "Youth" - but "Lost Boy" is the clear winner. <3

Off to an (unsurprisingly) solid start, and the write-ups are an (unsurprisingly) entertaining read! :D
"Pompeii" was #30 on my 2013 year-end countdown. Interesting that you enjoyed it even more than I did!

Have you heard "L'étoile"? That one's such a gem. Lyrically, it's probably my favourite French song of Céline's (of the exactly-dozen I've heard from her).

12 plays may seem like a low number, but they've come a long way from their "Miss Movin' On" days, when I didn't give the girls the time of day.

I, too, have a clear winner, but it's not "Lost Boy". :wink:

And thanks! Glad you're reading (and enjoying) the write-ups! :D

Carbon wrote:Ain't Your Mama is too low! glad it's at least included tho
It's cute, but it ain't her best. :lol:

king_oxymoron wrote:We haven't started too well! :lol: The only one of your ten I'm massively sold on is Work From Home (surprised you don't like it more) - I am a big fan of Wild but that was 2015 for me. Also like Ain't Your Mama, but not enough. Good Grief on the other hand I find really weak for Bastille and it turned me off the era in all honesty.

Typically, there are many in your 100 and below section I love much more - Selena, both OneRepublic songs, the other Troye song, Alan Walker and Shawn Mendes mostly!
Hope we'll be more in sync as the countdown progresses, though I have my doubts. Great to have you along for the ride regardless! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:11 am

In this set, we've got my third favourite music act of all-time, an X-Factor (UK) runner-up, a singer who earned a record deal through her music video parodies on YouTube, a lady who's managed to record a song worthy of charting among the Top 5 of two separate year-end countdowns of mine, and a song from a 2012 Dance Moms soundtrack.

090. Olly Murs - You Don't Know Love

It's a tough year when Olly Murs's finest single in years is stuck in ninetieth place. Lyrically, this song is superb. I love how he lists what he knows love is not, thanks to his ex-lover. Honestly, the pre-chorus is so fantastic that the chorus, whilst decent, is a letdown, and I suppose that's exactly why the song isn't higher; it has so many awesome, mouthwatering ingredients, but ends up being a half-baked product. Thanks to Olly, we know how a brilliant pre-chorus transition to an equally-brilliant chorus should not sound.
Play Count: 20

089. Demi Lovato - Body Say

After giving us the sultry "Cool for the Summer" last year, Demi decided to reprise that performance in 2016 with "Body Say". Whilst good, Demi's voice isn't really suited for these lighter pop songs; it's almost too big to be constrained by the task of sensual and alluring. I'll take "Give Your Heart a Break" and "Heart Attack" Demi over this one any day, but the song itself is pretty solid; it'd be dangerous in someone else's hands.
Play Count: 23

088. Halsey - Colours

This song has a multiplicity of highlights: a hook that sticks with you; a smoky, melancholy setting that resonates with the emotions and seems almost tailor-made for autumn; and a music video featuring a shirtless, smiling Tyler Posey. It packs a punch, and was an earworm of mine for a while, but it's just not strong enough to rise above this year's pack.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 30

087. Sarah Leichtenberg - Name in Lights

I'll be the first to admit that this song is basic, generic, and disposable pop music. I'll also admit that I don't care that it's all of those things; it has a catchy chorus that towers over all its glaring weaknesses. It also soundtracked this scene, and if that isn't one of the cutest scenes you've seen all year, then I have no words.
Overall Rating: 8.1/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #5
Play Count: 9

086. Rihanna - Needed Me

The first of six entries from Rihanna is "Needed Me", the loop-reliant third single that the general public decided was infinitely more deserving of success than its superior predecessor, "Kiss It Better". Its steel-like melody fits the mood of the song to a T, but gets a bit grating to hear on repeat after a while. Rihanna's attitude sells the song - it sells the unnecessarily violent video too - but she has done much, much better than this; "Needed Me" is easily among her weakest singles...which is a testament to her rock solid singles discography.
Play Count: 41
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:58 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Have you heard "L'étoile"? That one's such a gem. Lyrically, it's probably my favourite French song of Céline's (of the exactly-dozen I've heard from her).

12 plays may seem like a low number, but they've come a long way from their "Miss Movin' On" days, when I didn't give the girls the time of day.

I, too, have a clear winner, but it's not "Lost Boy". :wink:
I have, and it's quite nice indeed! Not far behind "Encore Un Soir" at all. I believe Tansike recommended it to me.

I totally love "Miss Movin' On." :oops:

Aw. I couldn't remember if we were on the same page with "Lost Boy" or not...but apparently we're not :lol: #spoilers

• When I first started looking through this latest update, I thought that the initial teaser descriptions were in order, so I was VERY surprised/confused to read that Olly is suddenly your third favorite act of all-time... :lol:
• I'd never really thought about the compatibility between Demi's voice and a song like BS, but you just might have a good point there! I enjoy the track regardless, though, so I'm glad to see it make an appearance here anyway! I'm loving the love for "Give Your Heart A Break" too <3 Probably...definitely...still my overall favorite of hers.
• "Colors" is almost certainly my favorite of the tracks that your chart helped me discover in 2016, so thanks again for bringing it (and its video) to my attention! You can count on seeing it much higher on my countdown!
• NM is...tolerable...but, not gonna lie, it's kinda nice to see such a harsh write-up for it. #justiceforkib
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:56 am

phoenix98 wrote:I have, and it's quite nice indeed! Not far behind "Encore Un Soir" at all. I believe Tansike recommended it to me.

I totally love "Miss Movin' On." :oops:

Aw. I couldn't remember if we were on the same page with "Lost Boy" or not...but apparently we're not :lol: #spoilers

• When I first started looking through this latest update, I thought that the initial teaser descriptions were in order, so I was VERY surprised/confused to read that Olly is suddenly your third favorite act of all-time... :lol:
• I'd never really thought about the compatibility between Demi's voice and a song like BS, but you just might have a good point there! I enjoy the track regardless, though, so I'm glad to see it make an appearance here anyway! I'm loving the love for "Give Your Heart A Break" too <3 Probably...definitely...still my overall favorite of hers.
• "Colors" is almost certainly my favorite of the tracks that your chart helped me discover in 2016, so thanks again for bringing it (and its video) to my attention! You can count on seeing it much higher on my countdown!
• NM is...tolerable...but, not gonna lie, it's kinda nice to see such a harsh write-up for it. #justiceforkib
I've changed a bit, but I've not gone mad! :lol:

"Give Your Heart a Break" was the first time I really took notice of her so it'll always have a special place in my heart thanks to that, but "Heart Attack" is still my #1 from her.

Yay! I'm happy to hear that! I always find it strange - but a cool kind of strange - when you introduce someone to a song and they end up in enjoying it more than you do.

I'm still bewitched, bothered, and bewildered at it becoming the post-"Work" hit of the era. I don't get people these days...at all. :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:30 am

We've got arguably the most successful album seller of the new millennium, a lady who's likely already written a hit pop ballad for your favourite diva, a country song from a not-altogether-unfamiliar face, an act that I just discovered this year, and Charlie Puth.

085. Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover)

The first of three entries from Adele, "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)" was easily my least favourite 25 track when I first spun the record. I was disappointed upon hearing it would be a single, especially over "Million Years Ago" and "River Lea", but its release, as well as its slightly-above-average-in-quality-for-Adele video, slowly but surely won me over. It's not her best single by any means, and my disdain isn't due in any part to the fact that it's more uptempo. It just doesn't have a moment, or a singular lyric that really sticks. As an overall product, I've come to appreciate it, but the lady who's given us "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You" - classic gems that registered as such before the first spin was even complete - has done, and can do, infinitely better.
Play Count: 36

084. NEIKED - Sexual

I can't remember whose personal chart I should credit for my "Sexual" discovery, but it was an instant highlight. I love how the singer's voice raises an octave from verses to chorus. In a year where a lot of the dance music I heard sounded vapid and uninspired, this one certainly clicked.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #10

083. Hillary Scott & the Scott Family - Thy Will

While I'm not entirely sure where I presently stand with my faith in religion, I do know that this song made a profound connection with me when I was studying for my CPA exams, specifically the lyric, Sometimes I gotta stop, remember that you're God, and I am not. Being a control freak means I spend an obscene amount of time obsessing about circumstances over which I have no control, and this song reminds me that sometimes it's okay to give up the reins, especially when there aren't any to give up, and just hope for the best in the situations where you cannot effect the change you so desperately desire to. It's a song bursting with humility and reverence, and I'm not usually a big advocate of those qualities, but they work well here.
Play Count: 26

082. Sia - Bird Set Free

I swear, every single time I play this song, I think of Christina Aguilera's "Sing for Me", which is scarily similar in terms of structure, lyrics - hell, even the notes seem a bit copy/paste to me. The message, though, of expressing an unfiltered, unapologetically authentic piece of yourself is one that I will always endorse and connect with. It's the first of three Sia entries, and she has so much better still to come.
Play Count: 30

081. Charlie Puth - Dangerously

The first of two entries from Charlie Puth, "Dangerously" was a slow burner. For ages, I classed it as 'just okay' until one day the chorus just hit me. He's no Freddie Mercury, but the passion with which he hits the chorus, as well as the self-destructive lyrics in which he places love before self-preservation, was...admirable, strangely enough. I tend to lambaste these "Grenade"-type songs, but these days I'm beginning to understand the basis for them.
Overall Rating: 8.2/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #12
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:53 am

Time to catch up on everything!
Sorry for being so behind. It still feels a bit early to follow year-end countdowns for me so i didn't take the time to do so, until now.

128. Selena Gomez - Hands to Myself
127. Shakira - Chantaje (feat. Maluma)
126. Aura - Love Somebody
125. Troye Sivan - Youth
124. OneRepublic - Wherever I Go
123. Céline Dion - Si c'était à refaire
115. Christina Aguilera - Change
114. Ariana Grande - Be Alright
110. OneRepublic - Kids
109. Little Mix - Shout Out to My Ex
108. Drake - One Dance (feat. Wizkid & Kyla)
107. Drake - Too Good (feat. Rihanna)
106. Charlie Puth - One Call Away
103. Alan Walker - Faded
Already a FANTASTIC (!!) list of songs that MISSED your countdown. I can't :o "Just Like Fire" was amazing and i'm sure some people will think i'm stupid, but it's actually my most favorite song ever by P!nk... :oops: That's a great cover btw.

100. Bastille - Good Grief
099. Céline Dion - Encore un soir
098. Jennifer Lopez - Ain't Your Mama
096. Fifth Harmony - Work from Home (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)
Solid batch. "Work From Home" would be my fave out of these, quite easily. Jennifer's comeback was surprisingly well received in Europe, a shame she never did more (like a whole album campaign).

094. Troye Sivan - Wild
093. Kerli - Blossom
091. Carrie Underwood - Dirty Laundry
Kerli :o
So first of all, i'm VERY surprised to see her appearing on your countdown. That's a huge surprise, i didn't know you would like one of her songs that much. "Blossom" is definitely a great track, and i love the message. Also love its single cover. And i'm even more impressed to hear that its video is one of the best ones this year for you, wow!! :cry:
Also nice appearance for Carrie in this group. "Dirty Laundry" was a good pick as a single, however i was hoping for "Relapse", "Chaser" or "Clock Don't Stop"...

090. Olly Murs - You Don't Know Love
089. Demi Lovato - Body Say
088. Halsey - Colours
086. Rihanna - Needed Me
Good batch. Four good songs, but all artists already released (much) better stuff. "You Don't Know Love" is currently growing a lot on me.

085. Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
083. Hillary Scott & the Scott Family - Thy Will
082. Sia - Bird Set Free
081. Charlie Puth - Dangerously
"Thy Will" has to be one of the best ballads of 2016, very glad to see it on your countdown.
Also always nice to see Charlie. He's somehow so cute! :oops: "Dangerously" is one of his best ones yet, probably only behind "We Don't Talk Anymore", if not even his best one ever. Such a great pop tune, and i still hope it will be a hit for him.
Tansike
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Two big yaaaaaaaaaaasses. Like, big ones. And they are for Olly Murs (I agree his best single in forever, though I do also agree the chorus isn't as good as the build up) and NEIKED - such a BOP!

I also like the Adele tune but like you feel about SML, I think many of the album tracks are stronger. Come through River Lea!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Return to Year End Personal Charts