Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2016: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which song will be my year-end #1 single?

Church Bells
10%
Daddy Lessons
19%
The Greatest
10%
In Common
10%
Love on the Brain
10%
Million Reasons
24%
Pillowtalk
5%
Slumber Party
10%
Starboy
No votes
Vice
5%

Total votes : 21

Postby JakeP » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi Akini :D

Gonna try and catch up as fast as i can so let's start with my fave songs between #100 and #81. :P

JSparksFan wrote:100. Bastille - Good Grief

099. Céline Dion - Encore un soir

098. Jennifer Lopez - Ain't Your Mama

096. Fifth Harmony - Work from Home (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

094. Troye Sivan - Wild

093. Kerli - Blossom

090. Olly Murs - You Don't Know Love

089. Demi Lovato - Body Say

085. Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover)

084. NEIKED - Sexual

082. Sia - Bird Set Free

081. Charlie Puth - Dangerously
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:51 pm

All these songs also made my chart in 2016.

JSparksFan wrote:080. DJ Snake - Let Me Love You (feat. Justin Bieber)

079. Charlie Puth - We Don't Talk Anymore (feat. Selena Gomez)

078. Troye Sivan - Fools

076. Nick Jonas - Close (feat. Tove Lo)

074. DNCE - Cake by the Ocean

073. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

070. Calvin Harris - This Is What You Came For (feat. Rihanna)

069. Fergie - M.I.L.F. $

068. Dami Im - Fighting for Love

066. Meghan Trainor - No

065. Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman

064. Selena Gomez - Kill Em with Kindness

062. Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better
The Calvin/RiRi collab is the only track listed above that went to #1 in my chart. It ain't We found love but i'm glad that Calvin went for the more subtle approach with this track. Chilled dance music but still uptempo. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:07 pm

JSparksFan wrote:056. Zedd - True Colours (feat. Ke$ha)

The Dr. Luke/Ke$ha storyline was one of a seemingly infinite number of cases in 2016 of the world being an absolutely f**king disaster. With Zedd's assistance, Ke$ha revises one of his songs that sound tailor-made, lyrically, for her. Ke$ha's voice here sounds so full, strong, and filled with a triumphant brand of defiance. The lyric, I've escaped my capture, and I have no master, is especially powerful, though, unfortunately, not completely true for Ke$ha. I really hope a more fair resolution is arrived at soon enough, but this was a wonderful way to show her fans that she's not going down without a fight, a statement I, and so many others, were relieved to hear being made.
055. Gwen Stefani - Make Me Like You

053. Rihanna - Sledgehammer

After enduring the first few months of Anti, where I had scoured but could find very little remnants of quality music to salvage, "Sledgehammer" arrived, and I embraced it like one would the return of a long-lost old friend. For me, that's precisely what the song was: straightforward pop music sung by someone I had relied on to deliver straightforward pop/R&B gems for the last decade. The fact that the song was released during a hectic work week only bolstered its play count, but, inevitably, the 'safeness' of the song started to bore me. I always fawn over uplifting anthems, and this one is certainly a decent one, but Rihanna herself has done much better...even on that LP I'd deemed "anti-quality" 10 months back.
052. Adele - All I Ask

051. Lady Gaga - Perfect Illusion

050. Jennifer Nettles - Unlove You

048. James Bay - Hold Back the River

047. Adele - Water Under the Bridge

046. Britney Spears - Make Me...(feat. G-Eazy)

044. Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feeling!

Take a dance-pop beat, with some light R&B undertones, catchy, uplifting and light-hearted lyrics, and you essentially have the framework for "Can't Stop the Feeling!", one of JT's best singles of his career. I love the near-falsetto cry in the chorus; it really hits home the theme and title of the song.
042. Delta Goodrem - Dear Life

041. Ariana Grande - Side to Side (feat. Ariana Grande)
Your commentary for True colours is spot on. The theme of the song just seems as if it was tailor made for Ke$ha. Such a shame Ke$ha didn't get the opportunity to perform at the Billboard music awards. It must be heart wrenching to be stuck in a corner unable to get out, that must be what Ke$ha has been going through. :(

I echo your thoughts on Sledgehammer as i too was underwhelmed after checking out the previews for ANTI and for the most part asking myself "where are the songs?" :lol: I'm a bit disappointed that this single didn't really connect with the public. I mean, has Rihanna really slumped to Work levels now, and is this really what the fans want to hear? :o :cry:

I quoted king_oxymoron's comment about JT too. These comments really do sum up everything i think about his track. It was the perfect soundtrack to the great sunshine we had during the summer. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:29 pm

044. Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feeling!
Annoying. I was surprised to see him in Eurovision, though

I loved it right after having listened to it for the very first time (I still prefer "Into You", "Leave Me Lonely" and "Touch It", though). I am glad that you could connect to it after a while! So at least, some performances aren't in vain!

040. Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)
The promo single prior to the actual release delivered an insight on what to expect from Ariana in 2016. I like it but she's got better songs on the album if you ask me.

036. Clean Bandit - Rockabye (feat. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie)
I hate it, tbh. Don't get the fuss about it.

033. Céline Dion - Recovering
Empowering.
Not my favourite track by her but the song's a masterpiece in her career. She went to so much but she's not giving up!

032. Ariana Grande - Into You
I am glad that your favourite track Ariana is also my favourite track by her (in 2016).

029. Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend (feat. Beyoncé)
I haven't thought of Beyoncé getting the role of an angel in that song despite being able to sing along to the lyrics but it makes perfectly sense. It's strange that I haven't given any thoughts on the song's lyrics' meaning. I guess the melody is soooooo captivating that I simply forgot about anything else.
I am glad to see it being part of your Top 30! - It's clearly one of my favourite tracks of 2016.

028. Sia - Cheap Thrills
Oh dear, the "awful Sean Paul Remix" lifts this song to a new dimension. I am sure that Sia also got help my many people encountering some nostalgia by Sean Paul's parts.
I am glad you are having fun and enjoying yourself by dancing for free (!) at clubs! - When I was younger (16 to 21) I went clubbing like every second week and I always had to pay 6 to 15 Euros for entering the club only. It's quite expensive here in Western Germany. Due to my Slavic genes, I used to pay a lot for drinks as well (One drink doesn't do it for me).. However, I stopped clubbing and now I have so much more money left <3 Perhaps I would go clubbing with you (even with to that Sia-only version) if it was for free.

026. Samra - Miracle
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
You should have followed my Eurovision 2016 ranking! Samra made it into my Top 10! "Miracle" is CLEARLY and HIGHLY underrated among fans and juries alike. She wasn't the greatest performer of the night but her performance was better than half of the ones from 2005, for example. I seriously think that if this track had been the Swedish or Russian entry, it would have made the Top 10.

025. Rihanna - Kiss It Better
This is the only track I don't dislike on "Anti". She might kiss better but she can totally deliver better songs.

023. Emeli Sandé - Hurts
Amazing track! What a comeback!

020. Dami Im - Sound of Silence
It's soooooo lazily-written that it has had such a huge effect that I almost dropped the entry when it comes to my personal Top 10 of Eurovision 2016. The production is fierce though and Dami Im delivers amazing vocals, though.

013. Zayn - Pillowtalk
I completely agree with you! No one really expected anything THAT great from ZAYN but surprisingly, he delivered one of the best songs of 2016! I am glad that we agree!

011. Katy Perry - Rise
That's a surprise! I thought that this song was underrated as hell but in that case, I think that it's even a bit too high :D
But afer reading your comment, I can clearly see why you love it that way. It's always interesting to see how music can make our lives a bit easier and how they can connect to us as individuals.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JakeP » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:32 pm

JSparksFan wrote:040. Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)

035. 99 Souls - The Girl Is Mine (feat. Destiny's Child & Brandy)

034. Beyoncé - Sorry

031. John Legend - Love Me Now

My New Year's #1 for 2016 was, fittingly, ABBA's "Dancing Queen", but the next two days on my daily chart were ruled by this scorcher. It's got a subtle flame, but one that burns with surprising intensity. My favourite lyric is, When I was a river dried up, you came to rain a flood, which paints the portrait of an angel come to save the protagonist from surefire implosion. In this duet, Beyoncé plays the role of angel, and her vocals really do match that role. She sounds so reverent in the across the sky chorus.
028. Sia - Cheap Thrills

026. Samra - Miracle

023. Emeli Sandé - Hurts

022. Beyoncé - 6 Inch (feat. The Weeknd)

From the melodramatic drum thumps at the top of the song, to her slow, deliberate delivery of the first verse, you can just sense a grand chorus on the horizon, and when it comes, it certainly doesn't disappoint. Lyrically, this wouldn't crack my Top 50 for the year, but Dami lays down such a stellar vocal performance that the end product is captivating.
019. The Weeknd - Starboy (feat. Daft Punk)

017. Rihanna - Love on the Brain

By some supernatural turn of events, the spirit of Ella Fitzgerald possesses Rihanna's body, and delivers one of the finest vocal performances of the year. The way Rihanna sings this, you can tell she, or Ella's spirit, really feels every single lyric, and it's that kind of unbridled passion that resonates with the listener. This isn't the kind of song you'd expect from Rihanna, and on paper, this should never have worked as well as it did, but it did.
014. Beyoncé - Freedom (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

The song that I believe "Formation" was intended to be, "Freedom" would make a great theme song for the Black Lives Matter movement. I love Beyoncé's I can't move! cry in the chorus, alluding to the last few words Eric Garner uttered before being brutally choked to death by New York police officers. Then Kendrick comes and basically gives a black history lesson in 45 seconds. I love the urgency of his verse; it does a great job of capturing the maze of institutionalised racism that so many African-Americans have to navigate their way through. Production-wise, you have elements of so many genres in this song: R&B, gospel, rock, soul.
013. Zayn - Pillowtalk

012. Little Big Town - Better Man

011. Katy Perry - Rise

The best Olympic theme song since the great Whitney Houston's "One Moment in Time", "Rise" soundtracked NBC's promotional campaign of the Rio Games, and I think it's the visual I see that elevates this song to special territory for me. I am an enormous track and field fan, and this year was a gruelling season for most of my favourite stars, especially my all-time favourite athlete, and this song does a great job of capturing the intensity of Olympic-level competition, and really taking you through the entire journey, not just the big show, but the moments of self-doubt, the moments where progress is elusive, the moments you suffer a freak gym injury that jeopardises your legacy year...The O ye of so little faith line also fit my perspective on the CPA exams to a T, but the I will not negotiate lyric is filled with such self-confidence. This song had so much meaning in my life this year, and I'm sure most people will just write it off as a second-rate, failed attempt at creating something inspirational, but Katy knocked this out of the park for me, more on a lyrical level than anything else, which was shocking. It's not quite surpassed "Firework", but it's phenomenal that in an off year, Katy delivers one of her career-best offerings.
So. Many. Quotes. What you doing to me Akini? :lol:

Starting with Hymn for the weekend i love your description of portraying Beyonce as the angel. Were you listening to Halo when you wrote this up? :lol: This song stood out massively when i got the album and was also an instant hit for me. It was #2 in my chart going into 2016 kept at bay by both Lukas Graham and then Mike Posner - coincidentally two songs that went to reach #1 in the UK. But after a fortnight stuck at #2, Chris Martin said enough was enough and arm in arm with Beyonce they strolled casually to #1. :P Ok, maybe not quite as dramatic as that its one of my favourite Coldplay songs, and i love so many of their songs.

Next up is Dami Im who quite simply won Eurovision as far as i'm concerned. All i can say is thank goodness for those jury votes otherwise this would've finished fourth behind POLAND!!! :-? :x :evil: This was another example of the live performance absolutely owning it over the studio version. I mean, i downloaded Sound of silence on iTunes but i've watched that live final performance so much more, i still get goosebumps when it gets towards the final chorus. What a magical musical moment that is.

Poor brave Love on the brain. In an ideal world, this would've had an amazing music video, become a radio staple all year and hogged the iTunes and Spotify and been Rihanna's biggest hit since Fourfiveseconds. Instead, none of this happened. It all seems like such a wasted opportunity now. :(

YES! :D So much love for Freedom when Lemonade was released even i was caught up in the hype. I checked out the album and when i listened to this track, i knew on first listen that i was listening to an anthem. It is one of Beyonce's best songs and i wish they had pushed this as a single because its so so good.

Ahh, my follow Rise worshipper. So glad i'm not alone in expressing true admiration for this song. I love Katy Perry anyways so whenever new music is released i'm always interested in hearing what the song is like. It is a powerful anthem and first time listening it was when Katy Perry sings "oh ye of so little faith, don't doubt it, don't doubt it" that i got a little excited. The song builds up so amazingly and i love how big and bold the chorus is. Poor Britney though, had it not been for Katy Perry, Make me... would've easily been #1 in my chart but it wasn't to be. They remained fairly close in the three weeks they occupied my top 2 positions. :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:36 pm

• I'm nodding basically nonstop as I read through your KIB assessment. Huge "YES!" to the "man, f*ck your pride" highlight and RS101 shade (still one of her most cringe-worthy and baffling single choices, and girl's released uhLOT of singles over the years.) This track is such a win all over, and deserved SO much more recognition from the GP.
• Speaking of the GP, I still can't @ "Hurts" flopping, when people ATE UP everything she tossed out from OVOE. I'm very tempted to call this her most interesting/engaging offering to date, and yet the GP is all "Pass." **Facepalm**
• Hmm...I'm gonna have to try to hone in on that bass more the next time I listen to "6 Inch", cause thus far, it's easily one of my least-favorite moments on Lemonade. I was SO relieved when the early rumors about it being a single (well, as much of an official single as B does these days) proved untrue in favor of "Sorry"/"Hold Up." :lol:
• There's definitely some of my own random bias at play here, but because "Starboy" and "24K Magic" came out so close together...the latter really strikes me as fun/playful/tongue-in-cheek, like Bruno's obviously in over-the-top-character mode throughout the track...and the former just makes The Weeknd sound like a sincerely cocky douche. Not unlike your feelings about JT, actually :lol: I'm not a fan of the sound, I'm not a fan of the lyrics, so I'll just go back to jamming to "I Feel It Coming" instead. Surprised that nothing from his last album comes close for you, though.
• DEAD @ the Ella line :lol: Much like your KIB analysis, I completely feel a lot of what you're saying here. After struggling through the dire middle chunk of ANTI, I LOVE where she takes us with this (and "Higher"...and "Close To You", for that matter.) It's such an abrupt shift from the string of PBR&B snoozefests (and a sound you'd never expect from Rihanna, as you said), but it works SO well. (Disclaimer: I do enjoy "Same 'Ol Mistakes", but I could do without everything from "Desperado" -> "Yeah, I Said It.")
• Taylor's songwriting is all kinds of golden, but that "the rumors are terrible and cruel, but honey, most of them are true..." line was an early stand-out across all of 1989. I may not personally share the strong indignation toward casual dating that your write-up seems to convey, but I can still appreciate Tay's roast and I'm definitely on board with you shining a spotlight on this track. It's your overall 1989 fave, yeah?
• ANOTHER shout-out? :cry: No Christmas gift could compare, TBH. Kidding (but totally not kidding) aside, it's truly delightful to see that BM managed to move you. It's funny, and a tad twisted, but honestly, a part of what draws me to this song is that it reminds me how I ought to be a better man myself sometimes. Instead of relating to the protagonist, I actually see some of the guy she's describing in me, and I deffo need to work on that...
• I'm gonna chalk up your No. 11 to your Olympic admiration and leave it there ;) I truly, fully respect and support the passion that you have when it comes to your favorite athletes, who are undoubtedly incredible human beings.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:57 am

Thanks for the comments, guys! :D

Benny wrote:Amazing song by Dami Im, she should have won Eurovision.
I agree!

SilentDream wrote:I really like "Sound of Silence". It was definitely one of the best songs in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016.

I can't stand "Pillowtalk" and "Rise" though. :oops:
No worries, I won't hold it against you.

king_oxymoron wrote:Dami and Zayn are certainly my faves here, you are right with what you write about each... Dami's vocal really elevated that track and I was certainly shocked about Zayn.

Second tier love for Starboy and Freedom, as you know I haven't gotten into Lemonade but that one always seemed a standout.

So glad Rise missed the top 10, always sounded like tripe to me. Lemme read what you wrote..Aw sorry to knock something so personal to you, but yes I write it off as that :lol: To be fair we didn't have it on our Olympic coverage so it may have not infiltrated by mind in the same way. To me it's among her weaker offerings.
You're hilarious! :lol: But fair enough! :wink:

Grybop wrote:Yuna, Coldplay, Dami, The Weeknd are all great. Samra I found a bit on the generic side.
Glad you like those four! I get where you're coming from with Samra, but if it's generic, it's the nice generic, not the ridiculously cheap, throwaway kind. :lol:

FreakyFlyBry wrote:Very pleased to see Starboy (The Weeknd has mostly impressed me lately, especially with his new stuff) and Rise (pretty much what I was hoping to hear from Katy after a long break!)

I like the Taylor and Zayn songs but I prefer several other songs from both.
Good to have another "Rise" fan here! 8-)

JakeP wrote:Hi Akini :D

Gonna try and catch up as fast as i can so let's start with my fave songs between #100 and #81. :P

JSparksFan wrote:100. Bastille - Good Grief

099. Céline Dion - Encore un soir

098. Jennifer Lopez - Ain't Your Mama

096. Fifth Harmony - Work from Home (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)

094. Troye Sivan - Wild

093. Kerli - Blossom

090. Olly Murs - You Don't Know Love

089. Demi Lovato - Body Say

085. Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover)

084. NEIKED - Sexual

082. Sia - Bird Set Free

081. Charlie Puth - Dangerously
Hola, Jake! :D

60% for that set, so not off to an awful start. :)

JakeP wrote:All these songs also made my chart in 2016.

JSparksFan wrote:080. DJ Snake - Let Me Love You (feat. Justin Bieber)

079. Charlie Puth - We Don't Talk Anymore (feat. Selena Gomez)

078. Troye Sivan - Fools

076. Nick Jonas - Close (feat. Tove Lo)

074. DNCE - Cake by the Ocean

073. Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

070. Calvin Harris - This Is What You Came For (feat. Rihanna)

069. Fergie - M.I.L.F. $

068. Dami Im - Fighting for Love

066. Meghan Trainor - No

065. Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman

064. Selena Gomez - Kill Em with Kindness

062. Shawn Mendes - Treat You Better
The Calvin/RiRi collab is the only track listed above that went to #1 in my chart. It ain't We found love but i'm glad that Calvin went for the more subtle approach with this track. Chilled dance music but still uptempo. :P
65% this time! 8-)

For me, "We Found Love" doesn't set a standard Rihanna should be aiming to duplicate, but I can definitely agree that it's better than "This Is What You Came For".

JakeP wrote:Your commentary for True colours is spot on. The theme of the song just seems as if it was tailor made for Ke$ha. Such a shame Ke$ha didn't get the opportunity to perform at the Billboard music awards. It must be heart wrenching to be stuck in a corner unable to get out, that must be what Ke$ha has been going through. :(

I echo your thoughts on Sledgehammer as i too was underwhelmed after checking out the previews for ANTI and for the most part asking myself "where are the songs?" :lol: I'm a bit disappointed that this single didn't really connect with the public. I mean, has Rihanna really slumped to Work levels now, and is this really what the fans want to hear? :o :cry:

I quoted king_oxymoron's comment about JT too. These comments really do sum up everything i think about his track. It was the perfect soundtrack to the great sunshine we had during the summer. :D
Are you breaking these down in sets of 20 because your weekly chart, and my daily one, both are 20-tracks long? :lol: If not, what a wonderful accidental coincidence. :D

I can't even express how frustrated I feel about the Ke$ha situation, and I'm just a third party observing from thousands of miles away. I really do hope she gets to make music again. I wasn't her biggest fan, but she had something pop music needed at the time - a sense of shameless adventure, and a party spirit that made her lyrics really silly, but undeniably fun.

Wow, love the dig!!! :lol: "Work" isn't all that bad, but I'd rather she not ever do a song like it again.

Mainshow wrote:044. Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feeling!
Annoying. I was surprised to see him in Eurovision, though

I loved it right after having listened to it for the very first time (I still prefer "Into You", "Leave Me Lonely" and "Touch It", though). I am glad that you could connect to it after a while! So at least, some performances aren't in vain!

040. Ariana Grande - Let Me Love You (feat. Lil Wayne)
The promo single prior to the actual release delivered an insight on what to expect from Ariana in 2016. I like it but she's got better songs on the album if you ask me.

I hate it, tbh. Don't get the fuss about it.

Empowering.
Not my favourite track by her but the song's a masterpiece in her career. She went to so much but she's not giving up!

I am glad that your favourite track Ariana is also my favourite track by her (in 2016).

I haven't thought of Beyoncé getting the role of an angel in that song despite being able to sing along to the lyrics but it makes perfectly sense. It's strange that I haven't given any thoughts on the song's lyrics' meaning. I guess the melody is soooooo captivating that I simply forgot about anything else.
I am glad to see it being part of your Top 30! - It's clearly one of my favourite tracks of 2016.

028. Sia - Cheap Thrills
Oh dear, the "awful Sean Paul Remix" lifts this song to a new dimension. I am sure that Sia also got help my many people encountering some nostalgia by Sean Paul's parts.
I am glad you are having fun and enjoying yourself by dancing for free (!) at clubs! - When I was younger (16 to 21) I went clubbing like every second week and I always had to pay 6 to 15 Euros for entering the club only. It's quite expensive here in Western Germany. Due to my Slavic genes, I used to pay a lot for drinks as well (One drink doesn't do it for me).. However, I stopped clubbing and now I have so much more money left <3 Perhaps I would go clubbing with you (even with to that Sia-only version) if it was for free.

026. Samra - Miracle
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
You should have followed my Eurovision 2016 ranking! Samra made it into my Top 10! "Miracle" is CLEARLY and HIGHLY underrated among fans and juries alike. She wasn't the greatest performer of the night but her performance was better than half of the ones from 2005, for example. I seriously think that if this track had been the Swedish or Russian entry, it would have made the Top 10.

This is the only track I don't dislike on "Anti". She might kiss better but she can totally deliver better songs.

023. Emeli Sandé - Hurts
Amazing track! What a comeback!

It's soooooo lazily-written that it has had such a huge effect that I almost dropped the entry when it comes to my personal Top 10 of Eurovision 2016. The production is fierce though and Dami Im delivers amazing vocals, though.

013. Zayn - Pillowtalk
I completely agree with you! No one really expected anything THAT great from ZAYN but surprisingly, he delivered one of the best songs of 2016! I am glad that we agree!

011. Katy Perry - Rise
That's a surprise! I thought that this song was underrated as hell but in that case, I think that it's even a bit too high :D
But afer reading your comment, I can clearly see why you love it that way. It's always interesting to see how music can make our lives a bit easier and how they can connect to us as individuals.
Thanks for taking the time out to play catch-up, Sven! :D

Aw, it's a shame you didn't take to "Rockabye". What makes the track awful for you?

Definitely agree that "Recovering" is empowering. Céline seems to not only have a voice like thunder, but the heart of a lioness too.

"Hymn for the Weekend" can have that effect indeed. It's so soothing!

Perhaps "awful" was too much. :lol: I have heard the Sean Paul remix in a social setting, and didn't mind it that much; I just feel that Sean Paul interrupts the flow of the song to the point that it sounds like a disjointed mess. As for paying a cover charge to enter clubs, I don't mind that much, as I save on the alcohol end of things by not consuming any.

Ah, nice to have a "Miracle" fan!

The facetime lyric made me scream. :lol: Dami's vocals compensate for some of the less inspired lyrics, though.

I have doubts now that even Harry will be able to top "Pillowtalk". Zayn really came out body-slamming.

Yes, music is so amazing, because of its universality.

JakeP wrote:So. Many. Quotes. What you doing to me Akini? :lol:

Starting with Hymn for the weekend i love your description of portraying Beyonce as the angel. Were you listening to Halo when you wrote this up? :lol: This song stood out massively when i got the album and was also an instant hit for me. It was #2 in my chart going into 2016 kept at bay by both Lukas Graham and then Mike Posner - coincidentally two songs that went to reach #1 in the UK. But after a fortnight stuck at #2, Chris Martin said enough was enough and arm in arm with Beyonce they strolled casually to #1. :P Ok, maybe not quite as dramatic as that its one of my favourite Coldplay songs, and i love so many of their songs.

Next up is Dami Im who quite simply won Eurovision as far as i'm concerned. All i can say is thank goodness for those jury votes otherwise this would've finished fourth behind POLAND!!! :-? :x :evil: This was another example of the live performance absolutely owning it over the studio version. I mean, i downloaded Sound of silence on iTunes but i've watched that live final performance so much more, i still get goosebumps when it gets towards the final chorus. What a magical musical moment that is.

Poor brave Love on the brain. In an ideal world, this would've had an amazing music video, become a radio staple all year and hogged the iTunes and Spotify and been Rihanna's biggest hit since Fourfiveseconds. Instead, none of this happened. It all seems like such a wasted opportunity now. :(

YES! :D So much love for Freedom when Lemonade was released even i was caught up in the hype. I checked out the album and when i listened to this track, i knew on first listen that i was listening to an anthem. It is one of Beyonce's best songs and i wish they had pushed this as a single because its so so good.

Ahh, my follow Rise worshipper. So glad i'm not alone in expressing true admiration for this song. I love Katy Perry anyways so whenever new music is released i'm always interested in hearing what the song is like. It is a powerful anthem and first time listening it was when Katy Perry sings "oh ye of so little faith, don't doubt it, don't doubt it" that i got a little excited. The song builds up so amazingly and i love how big and bold the chorus is. Poor Britney though, had it not been for Katy Perry, Make me... would've easily been #1 in my chart but it wasn't to be. They remained fairly close in the three weeks they occupied my top 2 positions. :P
Thanks for taking the time to catch up with the countdown, Jake! It's much appreciated! :D

Ah, it's nice that we share so many opinions! 8-)

Loved that imagery! :lol: :lol: :lol: Speaking of "Halo", though, I haven't played that one in ages. Lemme bop to it now. *Bops* 8-)

Yeah, she definitely delivered the night of the finale, and it's a bit of a disappointment that Australia couldn't win with her because I doubt now that they'll ever have another legitimate chance to win.

I remember a few live performances for "Love on the Brain", which had me thinking she and her label were serious about pushing the song as a single, but no dice. Eh, such is life. I suppose, when you've had as many hits as Rihanna's had, you don't have that same passion to promote your music as you did in your earlier days.

She did at least perform "Freedom" at the BET awards, and to a great reception too!

Ah, yes, we're not only "Rise" fans; we're also "Make Me..." deniers, as Britney was blocked from the top spot thanks to Katy too! :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• I'm nodding basically nonstop as I read through your KIB assessment. Huge "YES!" to the "man, f*ck your pride" highlight and RS101 shade (still one of her most cringe-worthy and baffling single choices, and girl's released uhLOT of singles over the years.) This track is such a win all over, and deserved SO much more recognition from the GP.
• Speaking of the GP, I still can't @ "Hurts" flopping, when people ATE UP everything she tossed out from OVOE. I'm very tempted to call this her most interesting/engaging offering to date, and yet the GP is all "Pass." **Facepalm**
• Hmm...I'm gonna have to try to hone in on that bass more the next time I listen to "6 Inch", cause thus far, it's easily one of my least-favorite moments on Lemonade. I was SO relieved when the early rumors about it being a single (well, as much of an official single as B does these days) proved untrue in favor of "Sorry"/"Hold Up." :lol:
• There's definitely some of my own random bias at play here, but because "Starboy" and "24K Magic" came out so close together...the latter really strikes me as fun/playful/tongue-in-cheek, like Bruno's obviously in over-the-top-character mode throughout the track...and the former just makes The Weeknd sound like a sincerely cocky douche. Not unlike your feelings about JT, actually :lol: I'm not a fan of the sound, I'm not a fan of the lyrics, so I'll just go back to jamming to "I Feel It Coming" instead. Surprised that nothing from his last album comes close for you, though.
• DEAD @ the Ella line :lol: Much like your KIB analysis, I completely feel a lot of what you're saying here. After struggling through the dire middle chunk of ANTI, I LOVE where she takes us with this (and "Higher"...and "Close To You", for that matter.) It's such an abrupt shift from the string of PBR&B snoozefests (and a sound you'd never expect from Rihanna, as you said), but it works SO well. (Disclaimer: I do enjoy "Same 'Ol Mistakes", but I could do without everything from "Desperado" -> "Yeah, I Said It.")
• Taylor's songwriting is all kinds of golden, but that "the rumors are terrible and cruel, but honey, most of them are true..." line was an early stand-out across all of 1989. I may not personally share the strong indignation toward casual dating that your write-up seems to convey, but I can still appreciate Tay's roast and I'm definitely on board with you shining a spotlight on this track. It's your overall 1989 fave, yeah?
• ANOTHER shout-out? :cry: No Christmas gift could compare, TBH. Kidding (but totally not kidding) aside, it's truly delightful to see that BM managed to move you. It's funny, and a tad twisted, but honestly, a part of what draws me to this song is that it reminds me how I ought to be a better man myself sometimes. Instead of relating to the protagonist, I actually see some of the guy she's describing in me, and I deffo need to work on that...
I'm gonna chalk up your No. 11 to your Olympic admiration and leave it there ;) I truly, fully respect and support the passion that you have when it comes to your favorite athletes, who are undoubtedly incredible human beings.
I don't understand how "Hurts" bombed either. With such a huge preceding era, single #1 should have been a hit by default. 2016 has been a weird year, though. The world threw all rule books out the window.

I played "6 Inch" in my sister's presence lately, and she randomly connected to it. Maybe have someone close to you randomly play it on a car journey? :lol:

My feelings about JT are a bit deeper and dark that just that, but I get you! For me, I guess I'm not that bothered by it because the Weeknd's music is heavily influenced by hip/hop, and the hip/hop culture basically mandates an arrogant attitude so, in that sense, it's almost fitting that he did a song like "Starboy", but I can understand how it's off-putting. For me, too, the lyrics are the song's weakest point.

Perhaps the best confirmation of how supremely odd 2016 was is that "Love on the Brain" is the song of the year for a certain mutual friend of ours. Who'd have ever imagined he'd enjoy a Rihanna era more than moi?

I don't have a problem at all with casual dating; at this point, I'd entertain a relationship like that in a heartbeat. It's just when people seem incapable of forming any more meaningful attachments that I feel we've reached a point for concern. And yeah, it's my 1989 #1 so I was so happy that it was released as a single. I shouldn't have expected the label to care, but the undying optimist in me held out for at least a low-budget video in lieu of the more predictable concert video treatment. But such is life. :cry:

It's reassuring that you've at least identified a problem that needs to be remedied. 95% of people don't even reach that stage, so you're already winning. #winning

El shade is thick! :lol: :lol: :lol: But yeah, I'd be a fool to pretend that "Rise" didn't benefit from my love for my heroes. Cheers to California for producing the greatest of them all. 8-)
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:29 am

018. Yuna - Crush (feat. Usher)
016. Alicia Keys - Hallelujah
015. Taylor Swift - New Romantics
011. Katy Perry - Rise
Great batch, especially the first half as i really love the ones by Dami Im, The Weeknd and Rihanna.
However, i'm a bit surprised to see Little Big Town and Katy Perry that high on your list. I like both, but especially Katy's track got old very fast and now i consider "Rise" as one of her weakest singles to date. Here's still hope she slays 2017 with some new music. But i hope you don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all, her discography is probably just too strong.
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:28 pm

And now I reveal the penultimate batch of seven.

010. Britney Spears - Slumber Party (feat. Tinashe)

My favourite Glory song, replacing "Man on the Moon" after an infatuated but slightly delusional few days, "Slumber Party" captures the essence of Britney's inimitable brand of pop magic better than any other song on her most recent LP. Britney just has this knack for effortlessly oozing sex appeal, through her image and her voice, and "Slumber Party" takes an island-flavoured beat, hands Britney a sultry script of lyrics, and she, like any award-winning actress, delivers a believable performance. How could she not? It's a role she's played for now going onto two decades. The addition of Tinashe's youthful voice only adds to the greatness of the song; it's a collaboration I didn't foresee ever coming to fruition, but one that made total sense in hindsight.
Code: Select all
Overall Rating: 9.6/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(3)
Play Count: 88

009. Years & Years - Meteorite

Last year's "King" had everyone losing their minds, but I didn't quite connect to the widely beloved song the way many others did, so when I stumbled upon "Meteorite", I didn't have any real expectations, but, wow, was I blown away! The chorus is this volcanic eruption of disco-pop awesomeness that has such a retro feel to it, but with an identifiable contemporary touch. I actually read a few detractors complaining that this song was "too camp", which I think is as absurd as saying one is "too wealthy" or "too happy" or "two awesome". This is quintessential camp music, proud, bombastic, and effervescent.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 57

008. Carrie Underwood - Chaser

As Carrie Underwood matures, there's been a shift in her lyrics to darker themes. This one isn't quite as extreme as "Church Bells", but there's definitely a profound sense of resignation throughout the song. There's really no use holding on to someone who simply would prefer to be elsewhere, with someone else, and the I'm done letting you be my heartbreaker, so go ahead and chase her is a declaration of defeat without dishonour. It's the thrill, it's the hunt, it's the love, catch her if you can is the perfect closure to a chapter that's seemingly ended a while ago.
Overall Rating: 9.7/10
Play Count: 146

007. Beyoncé - All Night

No one can ever accuse Beyoncé of not being one of the most outstanding female vocalists of her time, and "All Night" is easily the vocal highlight of Lemonade. It's not just a vocal spectacle, though. The verses are slowed down for you to really pay attention to the lyrics - and it's a very well-written track, too! - but the chorus is funkier, something you could dance to. In a way, it blends old-school R&B sensibilities seamlessly with a contemporary R&B sound. It's not a conventional love song, but it is definitely hugely romantic, as a recent couple, whose wedding I recently attended, certainly believed, as it was used, quite effectively, as a first dance song. About eight weeks ago, I put my sister onto this, and she's now obsessed, so now I hear this quasi-negro spiritual even more often that I would like, but it's brilliant so I don't mind much.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(2)
Play Count: 45

006. Sia - The Greatest (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

The queen of the hook does it yet again! This song is all about perserverance and empowerment, which meant it was an obvious study companion for those days when I just needed a boost of encouragement, and Sia spends three and a half minutes basically throwing the it-gets-better sink at me. From the ridiculously infectious, I got stamina hook, to the Don't give up cheers in the chorus. Even Kendrick's verse feels tailor-made for me - I fell twice before, but my bounce-back was special perfectly summed up the experience I had with one of my CPA exams, missing the pass mark the first time by one point, then the second time by two points, before massacring it the third time around. I also love the I see another mountain to climb line because successful completion of one phase of a journey doesn't mean you've arrived at your destination, but it does give you a boost of confidence that you can make it through a second trial. The video served as a poignant tribute to our fallen brothers and sisters in the Orlando massacre, so this song just had a heap of things going for it.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(4)
Play Count: 148

005. Miranda Lambert - Vice

Raw, honest, vulnerable, and frustratingly well-written and sung, "Vice" is certainly the finest single I've heard yet from Miranda Lambert. The only thing that I know how to find is another vice really strikes a chord with me. In fact, I played it 44 times in a single day - which is the most plays I've given a song in any single 24-hour window according to my Last.fm statistics, and significantly out of character for me, especially for someone who doesn't belong to the exclusive clique of divas that are afforded such privileges. This is country music at its best...well, close enough.
Overall Rating: 9.8/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(5)
Play Count: 125

004. Beyoncé - Daddy Lessons

How frustrating it must have been for racist country music fans that the second best country song of the year was delivered by the same African-American woman that served "Formation" and "Freedom" up on the same platter. I don't think "astonished" even covers my reaction to discovering that the best song on Beyoncé's Lemonade was a country song. I love the story it tells, love the handclaps and brass instrumentation on the track that, love Beyoncé's voice - I just love everything about this song. It was as unexpected as it is brilliant, and proof that Beyoncé intended to cover all bases on Lemonade, and to cover them exceedingly well, too.
Play Count: 134
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:32 pm

Three incredible songs sung by three incredible women that gave me an incredibly difficult time choosing among them. I ended up making my final decision a few thousand feet in the air, but you guys will find out tomorrow who earns song of the year honours this year!

VS.

VS.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:57 pm

So as you know, I was not the most involved with Lemonade so beyond Hold Up and Formation I don't know it too well.. your top 10 doesn't particularly do it for me, though it looks like I will be a fan of two of the top 3 which is ace!

9 is my favourite, Meteorite is really great... if people thought the song was too camp they should watch the video :lol:

As you know, I really quite grew to like Slumber Party, so thumbs up there too!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JakeP » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:03 am

JSparksFan wrote:Are you breaking these down in sets of 20 because your weekly chart, and my daily one, both are 20-tracks long? :lol: If not, what a wonderful accidental coincidence. :D
Oh, i genuinely hadn't picked up on this so yes, it really is a coincidence! :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:010. Britney Spears - Slumber Party (feat. Tinashe)

Last year's "King" had everyone losing their minds, but I didn't quite connect to the widely beloved song the way many others did, so when I stumbled upon "Meteorite", I didn't have any real expectations, but, wow, was I blown away! The chorus is this volcanic eruption of disco-pop awesomeness that has such a retro feel to it, but with an identifiable contemporary touch. I actually read a few detractors complaining that this song was "too camp", which I think is as absurd as saying one is "too wealthy" or "too happy" or "two awesome". This is quintessential camp music, proud, bombastic, and effervescent.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 57

007. Beyoncé - All Night

The queen of the hook does it yet again! This song is all about perserverance and empowerment, which meant it was an obvious study companion for those days when I just needed a boost of encouragement, and Sia spends three and a half minutes basically throwing the it-gets-better sink at me. From the ridiculously infectious, I got stamina hook, to the Don't give up cheers in the chorus. Even Kendrick's verse feels tailor-made for me - I fell twice before, but my bounce-back was special perfectly summed up the experience I had with one of my CPA exams, missing the pass mark the first time by one point, then the second time by two points, before massacring it the third time around. I also love the I see another mountain to climb line because successful completion of one phase of a journey doesn't mean you've arrived at your destination, but it does give you a boost of confidence that you can make it through a second trial. The video served as a poignant tribute to our fallen brothers and sisters in the Orlando massacre, so this song just had a heap of things going for it.
Play Count: 148

004. Beyoncé - Daddy Lessons

How frustrating it must have been for racist country music fans that the second best country song of the year was delivered by the same African-American woman that served "Formation" and "Freedom" up on the same platter. I don't think "astonished" even covers my reaction to discovering that the best song on Beyoncé's Lemonade was a country song. I love the story it tells, love the handclaps and brass instrumentation on the track that, love Beyoncé's voice - I just love everything about this song. It was as unexpected as it is brilliant, and proof that Beyoncé intended to cover all bases on Lemonade, and to cover them exceedingly well, too.
Play Count: 134
I have to admit i loved King and more especially Shine but then i adore Olly Alexander. <3 I thought the video for Worship was more camp than Meteorite, not that i was complaining! :lol: But it is disappointing that Meteorite did so badly in the charts. Surely Years & Years haven't fallen out of favour already? :o :cry: I blame Spotify. Well, gotta blame something! :P

So happy to see The greatest as high as #6, one of the truly amazing pop songs of the year without doubt imo. Sia has been one of my favourite female singers since Titanium, i didn't really know of Sia before that. But ever since Chandelier it's been incredible to witness the rise of Sia propelling herself to new heights that i'm sure nobody saw coming 5 years ago, but we should be truly thankful that Sia has successfully managed to become an artist where its not just the music that's important but the whole aesthetic approach. Her music videos are some of the most extraordinary i've seen over these last 2 years.

Your commentary for Daddy lessons sums why i love Lemonade. It's such a diverse concept album, musically each track has its own identity and character. Granted, i still don't get Formation and it feels like its the odd one out and an add on just because the song was already out there! :oops: I think i just sat there smiling like an idiot the very first time i played Daddy lessons purely because it was so unexpected, but equally so amazingly executed. Beyonce really did break down barriers with this album imo. I still regard Freedom as the biggest power anthem off the album but this is definitely up there as one of the most incredible songs to feature on Lemonade. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby Tansike » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:38 am

Fantastic Top10!
As you know, i'm not familiar with "Lemonade" so i don't know these two tracks by Beyoncé, but i really like all other entries in your Top10 so far. Britney's appearance here is very surprising though. While i liked "Slumber Party" when "Glory" came out, i got over it quite fast and the Tinashe remix did nothing for me, sadly. The video is also weak and i don't get the love from the fans for it. Okay, it's obviously better than the one for "Make Me", but this lesbian thingy is more awful to watch, and Britney's face is looking worse and worse :( :oops:

"Meteorite" is still growing on me and could make a bigger impact on me in 2017 than it did this year. Great, very catchy pop track which deserved to be a big hit, in the UK at least. I'll probably never understand how this bombed, even in their strongest market.

Not a lot of words for "Chaser" except that it's brilliant. Very glad to see it in your Top10! :D

"The Greatest" is great and as you say it's very empowering, however i think i still prefer "Cheap Thrills" to that one.

"VIce" is good and to be honest the first thing i've checked out by Miranda, and also the reason why i checked out the whole album.

Looking at the remaining songs in your poll and the pics you've posted for the upcoming Top3, i'm VERY excited, as i truly love two of these and also like the third one a lot (which surprises me a bit to be that high, as i didn't know you love it that much). Can't wait to see which songs ranks #1 :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:12 am

Nice to see 'Meteorite' and 'The Greatest' in the top 10! :P
Benny
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:46 pm

• I'm choking (just a tad) as I read that "Man On The Moon" was replaced "after an infatuated but slightly delusional few days" :cry: I mean....I don't HATE "Slumber Party"...but I still think MOTM is something MUCH more special. Ah well, at least Brit managed to grace your Top 10 one way or another.
:lol: @ you ruthlessly calling out those "too camp" commenters. I don't quite get how "King" and "Shine" do absolutely nothing for you, but I'm very charmed by how much this particular tune moves you. I'm 110% here for Campkini.
• Yet again, you're stretching my mind/ears with your Lemonade analysis! I never would've thought to highlight the vocals on "All Night" above everything else - for me, it's always been about the catchiness of the "kiss up n rub up n feel up" bits combined with the overall message of forgiveness/redemption/healing as a couple. "Baptize your tears and dry your eyes..."
• I was just saying this over in Tansike's countdown, but it took me WAY too long to discover the connection between "The Greatest" and the Orlando nightclub massacre :oops: and although I massively respect Sia for creating such a tribute, the song itself still doesn't quite hold up to "Cheap Thrills" for me. I totally get how those lines would have massive personal relevance for you, though.
• I may never find the same level of personal enjoyment in listening to "Daddy Lessons" that you do, but there is NO DOUBT that she deserves huge props for a.) even considering including a country track on one of her albums b.) serving up a damn good one.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen! :D

Tansike wrote:
018. Yuna - Crush (feat. Usher)
016. Alicia Keys - Hallelujah
015. Taylor Swift - New Romantics
011. Katy Perry - Rise
Great batch, especially the first half as i really love the ones by Dami Im, The Weeknd and Rihanna.
However, i'm a bit surprised to see Little Big Town and Katy Perry that high on your list. I like both, but especially Katy's track got old very fast and now i consider "Rise" as one of her weakest singles to date. Here's still hope she slays 2017 with some new music. But i hope you don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all, her discography is probably just too strong.
Well, "Rise" had more of a personal flavour to it that elevated its rating, so I can understand why you would think it's not among her finest songs. Glad you like the batch overall, though! 8-)

king_oxymoron wrote:So as you know, I was not the most involved with Lemonade so beyond Hold Up and Formation I don't know it too well.. your top 10 doesn't particularly do it for me, though it looks like I will be a fan of two of the top 3 which is ace!

9 is my favourite, Meteorite is really great... if people thought the song was too camp they should watch the video :lol:

As you know, I really quite grew to like Slumber Party, so thumbs up there too!
Yeah, the video is very out-there, but I absolutely adore it.

JakeP wrote:Oh, i genuinely hadn't picked up on this so yes, it really is a coincidence! :lol:
Coincidences >>>

JakeP wrote:I have to admit i loved King and more especially Shine but then i adore Olly Alexander. <3 I thought the video for Worship was more camp than Meteorite, not that i was complaining! :lol: But it is disappointing that Meteorite did so badly in the charts. Surely Years & Years haven't fallen out of favour already? :o :cry: I blame Spotify. Well, gotta blame something! :P

So happy to see The greatest as high as #6, one of the truly amazing pop songs of the year without doubt imo. Sia has been one of my favourite female singers since Titanium, i didn't really know of Sia before that. But ever since Chandelier it's been incredible to witness the rise of Sia propelling herself to new heights that i'm sure nobody saw coming 5 years ago, but we should be truly thankful that Sia has successfully managed to become an artist where its not just the music that's important but the whole aesthetic approach. Her music videos are some of the most extraordinary i've seen over these last 2 years.

Your commentary for Daddy lessons sums why i love Lemonade. It's such a diverse concept album, musically each track has its own identity and character. Granted, i still don't get Formation and it feels like its the odd one out and an add on just because the song was already out there! :oops: I think i just sat there smiling like an idiot the very first time i played Daddy lessons purely because it was so unexpected, but equally so amazingly executed. Beyonce really did break down barriers with this album imo. I still regard Freedom as the biggest power anthem off the album but this is definitely up there as one of the most incredible songs to feature on Lemonade. :D
Yeah, I didn't know Sia pre-"Titanium" either, but, my goodness, what a first impression! That song might just be my favourite song of the decade thus far! It's certainly in the top two! "Chandelier" was my #2 on my 2014 year-end countdown. Sia's had an impressive history on my charts. I, too, am happy she's decided to keep some quality hooks for herself and scorch through them like the power vocalist we now know her to be.

Glad to hear you speak so highly of Lemonade. I grew to love most of the songs on the album, but none were more instant than "Daddy Lessons". I don't usually fall so immediately in love with Bey's music, but that one was irresistible from play one.

Tansike wrote:
Fantastic Top10!
As you know, i'm not familiar with "Lemonade" so i don't know these two tracks by Beyoncé, but i really like all other entries in your Top10 so far. Britney's appearance here is very surprising though. While i liked "Slumber Party" when "Glory" came out, i got over it quite fast and the Tinashe remix did nothing for me, sadly. The video is also weak and i don't get the love from the fans for it. Okay, it's obviously better than the one for "Make Me", but this lesbian thingy is more awful to watch, and Britney's face is looking worse and worse :( :oops:

"Meteorite" is still growing on me and could make a bigger impact on me in 2017 than it did this year. Great, very catchy pop track which deserved to be a big hit, in the UK at least. I'll probably never understand how this bombed, even in their strongest market.

Not a lot of words for "Chaser" except that it's brilliant. Very glad to see it in your Top10! :D

"The Greatest" is great and as you say it's very empowering, however i think i still prefer "Cheap Thrills" to that one.

"VIce" is good and to be honest the first thing i've checked out by Miranda, and also the reason why i checked out the whole album.

Looking at the remaining songs in your poll and the pics you've posted for the upcoming Top3, i'm VERY excited, as i truly love two of these and also like the third one a lot (which surprises me a bit to be that high, as i didn't know you love it that much). Can't wait to see which songs ranks #1 :D
I'm very happy to see you appreciating the upper end of the list this year; this wasn't the case last year! :lol:

Aw, I liked the girl-on-girl action. It was so soft, though. Nothing bannable. :lol: For me, the video was well-executed, and Britney plays the role of vixen well. There was one shot where I cringed a bit at some of the plastic surgery she's obviously had done, but overall, I was pleased.

Strange things happen, I guess. In my opinion, it deserved even more success than the singles that came before, but the general public has not been in agreement with me for a few years now.

I knew you'd be happy to see "Chaser". <3

Benny wrote:Nice to see 'Meteorite' and 'The Greatest' in the top 10! :P
Hope you like the top three too! 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• I'm choking (just a tad) as I read that "Man On The Moon" was replaced "after an infatuated but slightly delusional few days" :cry: I mean....I don't HATE "Slumber Party"...but I still think MOTM is something MUCH more special. Ah well, at least Brit managed to grace your Top 10 one way or another.
:lol: @ you ruthlessly calling out those "too camp" commenters. I don't quite get how "King" and "Shine" do absolutely nothing for you, but I'm very charmed by how much this particular tune moves you. I'm 110% here for Campkini.
• Yet again, you're stretching my mind/ears with your Lemonade analysis! I never would've thought to highlight the vocals on "All Night" above everything else - for me, it's always been about the catchiness of the "kiss up n rub up n feel up" bits combined with the overall message of forgiveness/redemption/healing as a couple. "Baptize your tears and dry your eyes..."
• I was just saying this over in Tansike's countdown, but it took me WAY too long to discover the connection between "The Greatest" and the Orlando nightclub massacre :oops: and although I massively respect Sia for creating such a tribute, the song itself still doesn't quite hold up to "Cheap Thrills" for me. I totally get how those lines would have massive personal relevance for you, though.
• I may never find the same level of personal enjoyment in listening to "Daddy Lessons" that you do, but there is NO DOUBT that she deserves huge props for a.) even considering including a country track on one of her albums b.) serving up a damn good one.
I might have overplayed " Man on the Moon", but a lot of the love is definitely gone.

I dislike when people use gay terms as an insult. It makes me want to curse them with ceaseless Christina Aguilera shrieks all the days of their lives.

I do love that part of "All Night" as well - the funkier bit! And I think sometimes people take Bey's vocals for granted. Even with a club track like "Drunk in Love", she served Grammy-worthy vocals. I guess when you have so much fun with a song, you pay more attention to the melody than anything else.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:45 pm

It's been really hard having to choose among these three songs. Like I mentioned before, the decision was actually made while I was thousands of feet in the air (on an airplane, not cruising the sky with my fairy wings). They're all deserving of the #1 position, but, of course, only one can win the top prize. Let's find out which one!

003. Alicia Keys - In Common

Easily the best song Alicia Keys has ever recorded, "In Common" was a blast of fresh air from the piano ballad specialist. I love her restrained vocal on the song, the beat is just ridiculously catchy and fun, but the lyrics are very profound. If you could love somebody like me, you must be messed up too. In the first verse, it seems that the "In Common' protagonist has lived a life littered with one-night stands, and, upon finding something real, seems apprehensive of this new relationship offering the outrageous prospect of love and stability. In the second verse, however, it seems that the post-marriage union isn't quite as romantic and fun as it was in the honeymoon phase of the relationship. Maybe later on, I'l text you, maybe you'll reply, we both know we had no patience together day and night. I love the warp sound and the millisecond pause before the bridge kicks in. It's the kind of song I'd love even if it weren't so well-written, but the lyrics certainly add layers of significance to the song, which only amplifies my appreciation for it.
Overall Rating: 10/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(5)
Play Count: 203

002. Carrie Underwood - Church Bells

It's been four years since my resignation from the church; the hypocrisy per square inch was really too much for me to bear, so when "Church Bells" entered my life 14 months ago, I immediately loved it. From the album Storyteller, "Church Bells" tells a very clichéd story, but I love that it respects the listener's intelligence enough to leave out the more predictable components of the tale: She had the looks, he had the mansion, and you can figure out the rest. I also love the way Carrie infuses the presence of church bells to mark the various stages of the relationship: the glorious inception during their marriage, the brutal middle where Jenny endures the physical violence her husband inflicts while still wearing the mask of happily married wife, and the bitter and mysterious end to their marriage where Jenny's husband dies via a mixture of Tennessee whiskey and the passionate pain and revenge of a woman done wrong. Honestly, as much as I thought the song was fantastic the first time I heard it, I couldn't help but feel that it was missing something, and I could never quite put my figure on it until Carrie performed at the CMT Awards with a full gospel choir backing her, and I was like, "That's it! It's perfect now."
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(9)
Play Count: 287

001. Lady Gaga - Million Reasons

There's really something about falling in love with a song before the chorus even hits, and that was my experience with "Million Reasons". Allow me to establish the setting when I first heard "Million Reasons": I was preparing for the final attempt of my final CPA exam, having had to deal with denied study leave and excruciating work pressures the first two times around. I figured, the third attempt would be okay; let me take a few vacation days to be in the best space of mind before the exam. Literally two days before my scheduled exam date, Hurricane Matthew struck and I had to postpone the exam (for a third blasted time), we lost power, which made studying arduous, and I literally was at my wit's end trying to figure out why even Mother Nature seemed to be against me being great in this particular endeavour. I went to work just to get some Internet access to study and cool air conditioning, when I hopped on YouTube and saw that Gaga had put out a new single while my family and I were trying to ensure we wouldn't be blown away by 130 mph winds. I quickly downloaded it, and in the comfort of my candlelit room, I lied down and listened to it, and it was instantly a classic. I credit the song with giving me that final burst of energy that I needed to properly complete my studies, because it really served as a reminder of my singular purpose for even going through all the misery, and, despite the million reasons I had to give up, I had an extraordinarily good one to keep going. Every heartbreak makes it hard to keep the faith is perhaps the most powerful lyric, as it's so true, but I wholly relate to every word of the song. Gaga's done catchier songs, but never before has she captured my truth so succinctly and powerfully. It was a tough competition this year among the top three, but I could not deny this one, my personal angel of a song, the title of my favourite song of 2016.
Play Count: 136
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:08 pm

003. Alicia Keys - In Common
002. Carrie Underwood - Church Bells
001. Lady Gaga - Million Reasons

As expected, a great Top3.

I'm kinda glad to see "In Common" ending up third as it's clearly my least fave of them all. It's definitely a great song and it's another case where i don't understand how it flopped as it's one of her most interesting songs like ever. Should have appreciated it much more as it also flopped on my charts despite me having its melody stuck in my head since it's out...

The Top2 is top notch. "Church Bells" is just awesome. I don't even know what to write there as we already discussed a few times how awesome that song is. Is it your most favorite song by Carrie by now? It's probably still second for me, only behind "Blown Away". But the gap to a third place would be huge (and it would be tough for me to choose that third place to be honest).

"Million Reasons"... loved your write-up! Stunning ballad, and a deserved hit in some countries for her. I really, really hope this blows up this year. As you say she had catchier songs, and it's still not my favorite song by her, but she definitely created a little masterpiece with this. The line you've quoted ('Every heartbreak makes it hard to keep the faith') is my favorite part of the whole song <3

Fantastic Top100, loved so many tracks!! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:07 am

Can't argue with any of your top 3, really... the Carrie song was up to her usual standard and Alicia Keys and Lady GaGa both did their best work in years :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Woooohoooo,firstly, that I'm right, and that my favourite song in the poll made it to the top. It truly is a stunning song and even moreso in that you relate to it. In Common is great to, thumbs up to your top three!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby SilentDream » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:29 pm

I don't think that "Million Reasons" is overwhelming or anything like that, but it's decent and it's one of the better songs on "Joanne". :)
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
SilentDream
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:09 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I dislike when people use gay terms as an insult. It makes me want to curse them with ceaseless Christina Aguilera shrieks all the days of their lives.
The ultimate "cruel & unusual punishment" :o I didn't realize you had such a sadistic side, but it's definitely yet another reason to never cross you...

• "In Common" is pretty brilliant - and pretty dark/bleak, as you pointed out. After browsing its WIkipedia page for a little help with finding the right words to describe it, I noticed that Pitchfork summed it up quite nicely: Keys instead twists the love song trope of “opposites attract.” “If you could love somebody like me/You must be messed up too” simultaneously indicts and embraces the dysfunction, insecurity, and maddening laws of attraction that undergird modern love. Lyrical content aside, I share your appreciation for how different this sounds from Alicia's usual fare. Admittedly, I'm still drawn toward the accessibility of something like "No One" or "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart", but "In Common" would absolutely rank in my Alicia Top 5.
• I definitely appreciate how your exasperation with the church fueled your love for "Church Bells." Like you said, the story in the song is kind of a country cliché at this point, and I think that detracts from my enjoyment somewhat. I don't mean to make light/be dismissive of the horrors of domestic violence - it's still a very relevant issue that deserves people's attention - but Carrie's certainly hit me harder other heavy-topic-tunes before.
• I've made a comment or two about how much I admire your write-ups, and the masterpiece you composed for you No. 1 is especially fitting to honor your countdown champion. The way you paint the scene and share your story deserves to be a song in itself, tbh. I can't @ the stuff you have to endure sometimes...a literal hurricane amidst some of the most crucial tests of your life...and if Gaga's given you the strength to continue doing so, she's achieved something phenomenal indeed. Such a beautiful reminder of the power that music can hold.
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts