NF's top 30 albums of 2016 (done)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby stevyy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:59 pm

dawes looks interesting. lemme download real quick. :D (legally)
stevyy
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:26 pm

no shit, i really did just buy We're all gonna die from amazon.de and after my first listen, i have to tell you, i like it ALOT. I only checked it out bc I saw them mentioned in your top 10 and thought they sounded interesting. I bought the album blindly, without knowing anything about them.

U can officially call yourself a professional music critics now cause u made me buy a new album by a new group which i didn't know before.

<3

keep up the great taste JOHN.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Blondini » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:30 am

Nick Cave album is fantastic.

Angel Olsen good.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby NothingFails » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:44 pm

stevyy wrote:no shit, i really did just buy We're all gonna die from amazon.de and after my first listen, i have to tell you, i like it ALOT. I only checked it out bc I saw them mentioned in your top 10 and thought they sounded interesting. I bought the album blindly, without knowing anything about them.

U can officially call yourself a professional music critics now cause u made me buy a new album by a new group which i didn't know before.

<3

keep up the great taste JOHN.
I wonder if you know that Brandon Flowers is in the video for "All Your Favorite Bands" from last years album. :D
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Paul Simon - Stranger To Stranger

At the age of 75, Paul Simon is one of those artists who we're just lucky is still around making records. Every 5-6 years he drops a new album like clockwork that shows why he still matters. With his latest, Paul builds on some of the styles of his 2011 opus "So Beautiful Or So What" and continues to craft some biting, cynical and intelligent lyrics. I do feel like this album feels a bit "slight" compared to its predecessors because of more emphasis on interlude/vignette style songs that are over almost as soon as they start, but for the most part, this album is yet another in a long line of winners from one of the best songwriters of the past fifty years.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:50 pm

7. Ray LaMontagne - Ouroboros

A decade into a successful career as a folk artist (and to the chagrin of purists who demand he keeps remaking "Trouble"), Ray LaMontagne channelled his inner Pink Floyd with what I think is his strongest album yet. Eschewing your typical singer-songwriter folksy fare, Ray teams up with My Morning Jacket to craft an album strong on atmosphere and prog that works almost with the intention of being absorbed as one collective song as opposed to your standard 12-song album. I've liked his work for years but I do think here he really finds his calling.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Prince - HitNRun Phase Two

While not a "farewell statement" in the style of Blackstar or You Want It Darker (which will appear in 2017 given the cutoff release), largely because unlike the frail and elderly Cohen or the dying Bowie, Prince's death wasn't something people expected. Prince's final album in life steered to correct the flaws of his previous album, the abortive EDM dud "HITnRUN Phase One" by going back and doing a grand funk/soul record like his life depended on it. Prince's death was a major reason 2016 sucked, he was an artist I grew up with since I was in diapers and continued to follow his music through the name-change, the 2000s comeback all the way to his last years. His previous album ranked with the worst of his discography, but HitNRun Phase Two, released four months prior to his shock passing, has him going out with grace. There is buzz that there is yet another album of recordings made in late 2015/early 2016 that will see the light of day next year, but as it stands, this is Prince's last living will and testament and a good way to go out, even though his death still robbed us of many more great years.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Hints for the top 5

Grand finale from one of music's greatest originals
Late 2015 release that took promising alt-diva to another level
Return to form from a band who will likely be getting into the Hall in 2 or 3 years when they become eligible
Soon to be multi-Grammy winning opus from perhaps the most powerful person in music right now
Surprise comeback from icon (whose most famous work was when he was collaborating with another artist in the top 5) who teams up with a long-time fan who gives him his strongest work in decades.
Last edited by NothingFails on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Paul Simon and Ray are among my faves this year, both great albums and would be higher for me. Hope Blackstar is #1! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:05 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Paul Simon and Ray are among my faves this year, both great albums and would be higher for me. Hope Blackstar is #1! :D
I like Stranger To Stranger quite a bit, but something about it never quite gripped me the way So Beautiful Or So What did five years ago.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby Blondini » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:36 am

^Agree with that. It's good but not a classic.

LaMontagne blew me away with Hey, No Pressure as i never liked him before it and the album is good, too though it didn't make my YE.
It's a shame he doesn't sell much in UK anymore.

Prince album is much better than Part 1. Not quite in my list either. Both made shortlist.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tansike » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:26 am

Unfortunately not familiar with the last three albums. I think i should check out more from Prince's discography...
Tansike
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Grimes - Art Angels

Late 2015 release, but part of what I considered the cycle to count this year. I had known of Grimes for several years now and tried to get into some of her earlier work with mixed results, but here she officially finds the perfect blend of avant-garde and accessible pop music. Songs like Flesh Without Blood, California, Kill v. Maim and others keep her firmly in the alternative style but almost manage to be irresistible and accessible on top of it. She's firmly planted herself as one of the most exciting female artists we have today with this record.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:49 pm

After nearly fifty years in the game, Iggy Pop scored his highest charting album in the US with this, and for good reason. Teaming up with QOTSA's Josh Homme, Iggy found a collaborative equal not unlike his days with Bowie in the 70s and gave us his strongest album since Lust For Life. Unlike some artists who look desperate when working with younger artists, the collaborators here actually reinvigorate Iggy and show just how much of an influence he was on these artists just as their work is influencing him.

NothingFails
Legend

Postby Blondini » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:33 am

Good.
Pretty good but not as great as such a team-up suggests.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby NothingFails » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:16 am

#3 - Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
#2 - Beyonce - Lemonade
#1 - David Bowie - Blackstar
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:18 am

Sorry for the crappy low-key top 3 presentation, I've been f***ed over royally at work and music/charts is the furthest thing from my mind
NothingFails
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:55 pm

Grimes is nice, Iggy will have to check. Good top 3, obviously Blackstar is my fave, the music is dark and has a nice complexity, the album booklet and overall packaging for the album was magical too.

Hope everything is OK at work! :x Happy New Year (I'll say it now):
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:46 pm

Grimes is great. from the rest, the Radiohead and Bey albums are also cool but I haven't delved into them too much

Bowie's is not my thing
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:09 pm

A fitting glimpse of his brilliance
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Blondini » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:22 am

heppolo wrote:
A fitting glimpse of his brilliance
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tansike » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:21 am

Love "Art Angels", glad it's so high on your list :D

Also great #1. I have to admit that "Blackstar" was actually the first album i've checked out from him, but i loved it! :oops:

Hope everything will be okay at work! :wink:
Tansike
Legend

Postby stevyy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:34 am

I've just bought the Bon Iver and Avett Brothers albums. Thank you John, for being my musical guide. :cry: <3

hope all is well at work.
stevyy
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts