Kiiara - Gold
No votes
Mollie King - Back To You
14%
Olly Murs - You Don't Know Love
5%
Panic! At The Disco - Victorious
5%
Two Door Cinema Club - Are We Ready? (Wreck)
10%
Zara Larsson - Ain't My Fault
5%

Total votes : 21

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Hello! It's December which means it's almost time for my annual countdown of best singles, albums and artists of the year!

In the above poll are 12 contenders for my No.1 singles spot - I guarantee that one of them IS the chart topper, but can also tell you that as usual, not all of these songs have even charted in the top 100 - it's up to you to decide which is which and pick the song you think is my favourite of the year - let me know what you've chosen too so I can see who is right and wrong!

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

To help you a little, here are my top 10s of the past five years..

10. Foxes - Better Love
09. Jessie Ware - Champagne Kisses
08. Sia - Alive
07. Selena Gomez ft. A$AP Rocky - Good For You
06. Chemical Brothers ft. Q-Tip - Go
05. Sara Bareilles - She Used To Be Mine
04. Duke Dumont - Ocean Drive
03. Fifth Harmony ft. Kid Ink - Worth It
02. Calvin Harris & Disciples - How Deep Is Your Love
01. Years & Years - King

10. Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
09. will.i.am ft. French Montana, Miley Cyrus & Wiz Khalifa - Feelin' Myself
08. Sara Bareilles - I Choose You
07. The Kooks - Around Town
06. Twin Atlantic - Heart And Soul
05. The Saturdays - Not Giving Up
04. Austin Mahone ft. Pitbull - Mmm Yeah
03. Oliver Heldens x Becky Hill - Gecko (Overdrive)
02. Katy B - Crying For No Reason
01. Royksopp & Robyn - Do It Again

10. The Saturdays ft. Sean Paul - What About Us
09. Naughty Boy ft. Sam Smith - La La La
08. Booty Luv - Black Widow
07. Mumford & Sons - Hopeless Wanderer
06. Paramore - Now
05. Justin Timberlake - Mirrors
04. VV Brown - The Apple
03. Fall Out Boy - The Phoenix
02. OneRepublic - Counting Stars
01. Paramore - Still Into You

10. Kelly Rowland ft. Big Sean - Lay It On Me
09. Two Door Cinema Club - Sun
08. Mumford & Sons - I Will Wait
07. Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
06. Ellie Goulding - Figure 8
05. Arctic Monkeys - R U Mine?
04. Christina Aguilera - Your Body
03. DJ Fresh ft. Rita Ora - Hot Right Now
02. Aiden Grimshaw - Is This Love
01. Maroon 5 - One More Night

10. Kelly Rowland ft. L'il Wayne - Motivation
09. Coldplay - Paradise
08. Birdy - Skinny Love
07. Benny Bennassi ft. Gary Go - Cinema
06. Two Door Cinema Club - Something Good Can Work
05. Alex Gaudino ft. Kelly Rowland - What A Feeling
04. Ellie Goulding - Lights
03. Adele - Set Fire To The Rain
02. The Saturdays - All Fired Up
01. Bruno Mars - Grenade

------------------

So get voting as to what YOU think No.1 is - the countdown will begin SOON!
Last edited by king_oxymoron on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 14 times in total.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:45 am

Just like you did, I went with the song I want as your #1 - "When We Were Young". There are some other solid poll options, though. I hope the ones I like are actually in the main countdown. :lol:

Looking forward to this!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:27 am

To see "When We Were Young" atop of this list would be amazing!
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:19 am

There are some good songs to choose in the poll, but "Work From Home" is definitely my fave, so i went with that :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 pm

Okay, seems like a quiet year in this forum, let's do the first ten! Thanks to those who have voted and commented!

100. Lawson - Where My Love Goes
Lawson started out as such a promising band for me, their hits 'Standing In The Dark' and 'Taking Over Me' fared really well in my chart and they took their good singles run into the re-issue of their first album. Sadly, it seemed to all stop when it came to album 2 and I really didn't enjoy the output. 'Roads' was okay, but 'Money' was really quite bad. I was saddened as I wanted them to continue success. This song didn't succeed but it did rank as easily my favourite of this era, a beautiful love song that is compounded by an excellent, real-life story video (though Andy was meant to be mine so I'm fuming). Do give it a watch!

099. Meghan Trainor - Me Too
There was a point I was addicted to this even though i KNOW how basic it is!! There is just something so catchy about the 'if I was you, I'd wanna be me too' refrain - the delivery is spot on. I also quite like the production! As for the rest, I know it's cheesy, I know it completely knocked her off track in the UK, but I can't help but bop away to it. It's just CATCHY. Like a plague.

098. Rihanna - Kiss It Better
I could never be accused of being a Rihanna stan, though I do appreciate what a great singles act she's been - her GH would be packed. For this reason I thought it was a bit laughable she said she didn't enjoy some of her output and wanted something that in ten years would stand up as a classic then delivered things like 'Work'. I was pretty much ready to write off ANTI but actually this single from it is a very strong slow jam. Radio 1 loved it and gave me the chance to like it too, proving subtle urban Rihanna can be for me in the same way balls out pop Rihanna can.

097. Panic! At The Disco - Hallelujah
A bizarre one because it feels about a hundred years old but actually it's the CURRENT UK single, albeit a re-release! It has one of the strongest choruses on the new album, though I feel like the verses could be stronger, I do think the chorus is among their most memorable. I got the chance to see Panic! since the last time they charted and I really came to appreciate Brandon's voice. I think the album is brilliant and I would be heavily joining in with this if I saw them again, but they've done better.

096. Mumford & Sons - Snake Eyes
Mumford charted with all their singles from Wilder Mind in 2015, and another joins the ranks this year. Sadly none cracked the top 50 then and neither do they now. I do think the singles were very good though, the chorus for this is particularly strong, especially towards the end when it's repeated an octave higher. There's so much passion in Marcus' voice and this song is a great vehicle for it. Would love to seem them live again incorporating this new style into their set.

095. Ellie Goulding - Army
I don't know what on earth happened with this album. My number one of last year and SO full of promise, yet she only released two songs from it? Not even a full release of Something In The Way? SHAMBLES. On My Mind did rank highly for me last year, and although Army is nice (and has a lovely sentiment, being about her best buddy), it is not up there for me. It does have an epic climax though, very full musically at the back end of the song. It's really good, it's just frustrating knowing this made it on an album of such goid!

094. Martin Garrix & Bebe Rexha - In The Name Of Love
This initially very much passed me by. I really like Martin, and BeBe has had her moments, though has been a bit hit and miss for me. Her voice and talent has been very much noted though! It''s not groundbreaking, but as a song following trends in the current climate I think it does a decent job.. the musical breakdown is memorable and I think the melody of the verses is great and well sung. A decent dance hit.

093. Drake ft. Rihanna - Too Good
More Rihanna now and she's teaming up with old pal Drake. FAR better than One Dance for me, Best thing he's done this year. I like the structure of it, that his deep voice leads off and her higher one is a repeat in the second verse. The bridge 'last night... I think I lost my patience' is ace, and i LOVE the rhyme 'I got high as my expectations' - really strong lyrically, I like how song of the lines are written off the beat. It's just a really interesting collab.

092. The 1975 - The Sound
The 1975 have been (quite rightly tbh) accused of being repetitive and even with their new single 'She's American' they've gone back to copycatting their old hits. But this song was a real different approach for them. It's SO glorious and jolly, such sunshine through music, and it suits them so well! The chorus can't fail to put a big smile on your face, and again the bridge is great 'what does it matter if I lie to you?'. A welcome switch up in sound (no pun) for the boys.

091. Wolf Alice - Moaning Lisa Smile
I know how much I enjoy this song and yet at the time of writing the only thing of note I can think of is the AH-AH-AH-AH-AH that leads the chorus in :lol: To be honest with you I could do without Wolf Alice in general but Radio 1 adore them and as a (too old) listener this was forced upon me... and I have to say I ended up as quite the fan... even if that was the only bit I knew!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby NothingFails » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:22 am

Kiss It Better and Snake Eyes are both nice, neither are my faves of those albums but decent tracks
NothingFails
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:32 pm

Great start!

My favorite from the list would be "Kiss It Better", it became one of my favorite Rihanna songs ever.
"Army" by Ellie Goulding is also one of my favorites by her.

Also enjoy "Too Good" and "Me Too".
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:42 am

"Kiss It Better" is fantastic, and deserved to be the big hit of the era. I love its rock influence. As for "Too Good", it's only marginally superior to "One Dance" for me, but I ranked it similarly.

I really didn't connect with "Me Too", which marked the first time Meghan released a single that I didn't at least 'like'.

I watched the "Where My Love Goes" video, and it was indeed very cute! The song itself isn't bad; it would've made my 'missed' list had I heard it two weeks ago.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:23 am

Kiss It Better and Too Good the clear highlights there. It'll always annoy me that Work is the biggest hit from ANTI when songs like KIB and LOTB made a lot less impact. Too Good is Drake's best after JHOWGH.

I voted for Here in the poll.
Thriller

Postby Tansike » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:36 am

098. Rihanna - Kiss It Better

Nice to see "Me Too". It's such a guilty pleasure and i'd even say it's my favorite single by Meghan so far :oops:
Also very happy for Ellie's appearance and i completely agree with you... a shame how they handled the "Delirium" era. It could have been so, so huge!

Definitely a great start, can't wait to see more :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:50 pm

In The Name Of Love also passed me by at first but it has really grown on me. Martin Garrix' best song and Bebe Rexha's vocals aren't annoying for once.

I don't have a clue about your favourite song of 2016 but I voted for Adele.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated!

090. Alicia Keys - In Common
Alicia has been a strange one for me of late, in that her eras have seemed a bit blurred, I can't recall a song becoming a real hit for a while and didn't really know to which campaign this belonged. But when I heard her perform it on Graham Norton, I knew I had to check it out. It won't go down as her strongest ever, but I think it's a really catchy little single! The chorus is the particular highlight, from the title phrase, to the quicker 'you must be messed up too' second part. Subtle, but very decent!

089. Zara Larsson - Ain't My Fault
This one is the opposite to subtle as my first poll option falls! Nobody picked this from the poll though, so no massive surprise! I am a bit sad at the more generic route Zara seems to be going down, and the message of the song was everything she didn't seem to stand for as a person, but I can't deny it still has some banging moments and lyrics. The fast spitting lyrics of the first verse, 'I just called an Uber and it's right outside' in the second and the entire build up of the pre-chorus are some really great moments in a ballsy pop song. Not without it's flaws (could do without the middle 8) but a decent tune for sure.

088. Biffy Clyro - Wolves of Winter
Biffy were at their heavy, rock-out best with their return this year as they came with this lead to their 'Ellipsis' album. I was torn on first listen. The teasers were quite confusing as they didn't appear to represent what we knew of Biffy at all, but the full thing put that to rest. While it's heavy, it's also melodic and as ever there are some interesting lyrics and catchy moments.My favourite is the 'we have achieved so much more than we possibly thought we could' and of course the long wolf-like scream of 'we are the wooooooooooooooooooooolves of winter' Not quite classic Biffy - but reminiscent of it.

087. Alan Walker - Faded
This is such a lovely song and a surprise hit in a year of mostly tropical house. Alan Walker does a great job on production but its the beautiful vocal of Iselin Solheim that really shines through here. You'd be forgiven for thinking you were getting a massive ballad at the start of the song, but it is in fact a chilled dance number.. The verses are my favourite bit (the 'where are you now?' repeated chorus is nice but lets it down a touch for me), such a great melody teamed with beautiful vocals.

086. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - I Know What You Did Last Summer
It's been a good year for breakout star Shawn Mendes, who I have enjoyed ever since I heard 'Something Big' and I've been a big 5H fan for a while so my liking this should come as no surprise. Their voices gel really well - Shawn has quite a low voice for a guy and Camila quite high (squeaky?) for a girl, so the difference makes the harmonies stand out a bit more. It's hard-hitting, it's feisty, it's playful. I don't know if the 'I know, i know, I know, I know' is a deliberate take off of 'Ain't No Sunshine' but it works here to great effect. The build up at the end 'tell me where you've been lately' is really great stuff.

085. Meghan Trainor - NO
Here's an interesting one as upon release, I thought this was going to be in my top 3! I liked this on first listen - though even then I did question whether I should :lol: The throwback/nostalgic feel reminded me of Britney, NSYNC and Destiny's Child tunes of the turn of the century - a very good thing. There are some things that never particularly worked for me - mainly the spoken parts, and these things have got worse on replay value, which sadly the whole song has little of. There are some great moments though, the actual SUNG 'my name is no...' etc is wonderful, and when the beat drops for a second before Meghan comes wailing back in is equally great. I still like it, but it's not the absolute iconic bop I once thought!

084. John Mayer - Love On The Weekend
One of the newer songs on the countdown. I have always loved John but it's usually on his albums I find stuff to love - his lead singles aren't usually the ones. This is the best one in a while - better than Shadow Days, Who Says or Paper Doll, I'm still hoping however my favourites will appear on the 2017 album. This is very easy listening, very pleasant, with some great parts ('I hate your guts and I'm loving every minute of it') but it isn't particularly groundbreaking. His voice is heaven as ever and there's a bit more of a pop sensibility here, so still well worth a listen,

083. Beyonce - Formation
I'm sure many will say I have this far too low and that it's iconic. It kinda is, and I do love it, The production is unusual and grabs you and some of the lyrics are brilliant (hot sauce obv), I guess I just didn't find myself playing it over and over? I really enjoyed hearing it on the radio but I never got into Lemonade the way others did and as a result it didn't end up being an absolute fave of mine.

082. Sigala ft. Imani & DJ Fresh - Say You Do
So fresh and summery! This feels quite old in the sense that summer feels sooooooooooooo long ago, but it still is the type of song to bring a smile to your face. Imani's vocals are very confident and assured, Sigala and DJ Fresh team up well on the steel drum production (though it feels more typical Sigala than Fresh), and it's just a very uplifting, euphoric dance anthem that reminds of hotter climes.

081. Little Mix ft. Jason Derulo - Secret Love Song
I said the last song felt old. Gosh this feels like 2014. But actually the single release was early this year. It does suffer position wise from feeling so old but I wanted to get it in as I remember hearing it initially and being floored by the vocals (the girls, not Jason). I particularly like it because i LIVE for Leigh-Anne on record and on the last chorus she sounds exceptionl and huge. The Part 2 is probably more beautiful sans Derulo but I don't hate him on it. A very strong ballad that is relatable as an LGBT community member. Would have been higher if released back end of 2015.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby NothingFails » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Disappointed that In Common didn't make the "Here" album.

NO is the best thing Meghan ever did, even though it wore out its welcome fast like you and Akini both have said. I could hear Destiny's Child doing this at the turn of the millennium

Formation is a masterpiece but I understand what you're coming from.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:39 pm

"in Common" is amazing, definitely way higher on my list. "No" is catchy.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:49 pm

In Common is great, should've been a smash.

Meghan Trainor will find it hard to top No but I agree it's aged badly this year.

Beyoncé a rare good moment from her these days, Alan Walker, Sigala and Little Mix all great tunes.
Thriller

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:55 am

I feel much more strongly about "In Common" than you do, but I'm happy that one of my year's big favourites made it here. I love the You must be messed up too bit as well.

"Faded" is good. It just narrowly missed my Top 100.

As we've already established, we were both left high and dry after experiencing the short-lived awesomeness of "No". The song is still uber cute, though.

I get where you're coming from with "Formation" - it works well as a statement song, but if you break it down and look at it as just a song, there are obvious faults - but I'm a bit sad to hear you didn't get into Lemonade. The album's a slow burner - a big chunk of it anyway - and a big return to form after her underwhelming self-titled LP.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:51 pm

Didn't think In Common would be the one to get everyone going! Cheers for replies!

080. Biffy Clyro - Re-arrange
It will be no surprise to see Biffy here again, it seems most years a number of their singles make it in - they are very consistent! Biffy seem to be the master all two things - all out, balls out stadium rock, and soft, fragile (often falsetto led) ballads. This is one of the latter, and seems to be the one that has connected most with the public, almost hitting the UK top 40 on iTunes a few days ago. It's got lovely sentiment, real heart, and a beautiful simple melody. A lovely moment.

079. Troye Sivan - Talk Me Down
Another lovely ballad moment now. Troye has really impressed me with his songwriting - this is probably one of his simpler songs but it has some of his best melody... the tune and tone of 'a-a-a-a-a-all i wanna do right now' is beautiful. His voice really suits this kind of mood. I also like the structure, that there isn't an obvious chorus per se, but a repeat of the beginning with an additional line, it really drives the melody home. Lush.

078. Kiiara - Gold
A poll option falls! Not that anyone voted for it. Well done! This is a strange one, not a straightforward song at all - in fact at times the lyrics are indiscernible! But the hook 'without ever letting you know' is one of the catchiest moments of the year. It's a very cool tune that caught on in the US more than the UK - great beat, great bass, great tempo and they all are juxtaposed with her soft, sweet vocal. An exciting tune that I wish I'd heard more of, and hope I'll hear more from this artist!

077. Blonde & Craig David - Nothing Like This
Another poll option out... that nobody voted for.. again! This really did sound like a classic Craig track (from Born To Do It) with modern production... right down to his quick spitting lyrics in the middle of each verse. The chorus isn't the biggest thing to shout home about, and lets the side down a bit, but i LOVE the bridge. 'More than just a feeling, this is more than just a crush...' - just one of those times where part of a pop song... well, pops. I was at his set at Glastonbury and people were screaming that bit out. Good memory.

076. Sigala ft. John Newman & Nile Rodgers - Give Me Your Love
Another strong single from Sigala now - it's been a good year! But with Nile on board what did we expect? John needed this hit too, though it wasn't as big as I expected. To say this is already classic Sigala seems bizarre as he is so new but he's carved out a sound. I liked that, mixed with the familiar disco guitar of Nile. John's screamed vocals only added to it, sure to get me on the dancefloor!

075. Dua Lipa - Last Dance
One of my favourite new artists of the year for sure. Thought technically I think she was around with a few tunes last year, this is the year I caught on. This song piqued my interest and made me go along to see her at Glastonbury (alone) - WORTH IT. She put on such a show and I got to see her again in August at Brighton Pride. Loved her. She's one of those acts who can do a straight up pop song like this which is very melodically led but still make it sound effortlessly cool. The build up to the chorus is epic, definitely recommend pressing play. Love the 'ooohs' running through the chorus. Thought i'd be a bigger hit - glad she's had hits since - may still be to come..

074. Carly Rae Jepsen - Boy Problems
Another artist I saw at Brighton Pride (WAS AWESOME!) - her whole E.MO.TION album was pretty flawless and this song was one of a whole host of great ones. it's not the single I would have picked - the other Sia production 'Making The Most of the Night' is my FAVE, but this is still a cute number. I like how she addresses herself in it, the concept is cute, and the post chorus 'I think I broke up with my boyfriend today and I don't really care' is both FIRE and helped me after my last break up :lol: Queen of bops.

073. Fifth Harmony - Flex (All In My Head)
This girl group has been on fire this year and i DO love this tune but when I compare it to the other two, because it's so chilled, it's just left less of an impression on me. Still a TUNE though. Lauren's is my favourite bit, 'I wanna feel you un-feel you under my body' - effortlessly cool and leads really well into the chorus! I also adore the ad libs in this song as we reach the end, particularly 'flex - flex' - so simple but such a nice moment. Not up there with Worth It or their other singles this year, but served a purpose on a breezy summer day!

072. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go
WHO. EXPECTED. THIS? Nobody! When this even got as high as about No.12 on iTunes I was all 'wtf' but when it did what few songs manage to do and not drop, but instead climb, I was flabberghasted. Above a GaGa lead single by the end of the week? Crazy. And it wasn't even getting promo. Mental when you think he couldn't sell many singles just after his XF win! And it's certainly become one of the mainstayers of the year. For good reason though, this type of song is very on trend, his voice is ace and it's melodically sound with an emotive, powerful chorus. Can't argue.

071. Panic! At The Disco - Victorious
And finally today, a third poll option falls from this ten - nobody thought it;d win wither! A jaunty, music-led anthem, extremely catchy with a chanty introduction and some mental production. I love how out of the box Panic think and how strong the vocals are over the top, the 'i know you need it do you feel it drink the water drink the wine' run is sensational and should win ALL THE AWARDS. More Panic! fun, from a very solid album!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Grybop » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:44 pm

I voted for Two Door Cinema Club, without having heard the song :lol:
I remember loving 2 or 3 of their tunes, then never bothered again.

In truth , I'm just browsing other people's lists just to see if I have forgotten any songs for mine, thankfully you reminded me of Dua Lipa :lol:

My fave so far, and one of the few ones I actually know, is Faded.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Benny » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:44 pm

Biffy Clyro's return with 'Ellipsis' was a little bit disappointing but still not bad - one reason was 'Re-arrange' which I enjoyed.
'Talk Me Down' is also good.
Benny
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:25 am

That Troye Sivan song hasn't been played in my music library for ages. I've forgotten what it sounds like. I'll re-listen to it tonight.

"Boy Problems" is okay, but "Making the Most of the Night" is miles better, as is the criminally overlooked "Love Again". "All In My Head (Flex)" is also just okay for me.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:02 am

Kiiara, Sigala, Fifth Harmony and Dua Lipa the highlights there.
Thriller

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Voted for Olly Murs in the poll.

Woo for these:

100. Lawson - Where My Love Goes
097. Panic! At The Disco - Hallelujah
092. The 1975 - The Sound
086. Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - I Know What You Did Last Summer
085. Meghan Trainor - NO
076. Sigala ft. John Newman & Nile Rodgers - Give Me Your Love
071. Panic! At The Disco - Victorious
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Tansike » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:24 am

087. Alan Walker - Faded
085. Meghan Trainor - NO
084. John Mayer - Love On The Weekend
081. Little Mix ft. Jason Derulo - Secret Love Song
073. Fifth Harmony - Flex (All In My Head)

Some really great tunes. "Faded" is definitely a big highlight of the year, thought it may be higher on this list.
Tansike
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Say You Won't Let Go is a crap top off of The Man Who Can't Be Moved. Kiiara, Beyoncé and Alan Walker are all good though.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks guys! I think the chords are similar but the tempo of the songs makes James' entirely different! Moving on!

070. Dami Im - Sound of Silence
I am not big on Eurovision particularly at all, I didn't watch it this year. However, having been a big fan of Dannii Minogue on the UK X Factor, I did keep an eye on her Australian XF exploits and knew she had won with Dami, so I did take a listen when I heard Dami was going to be taking part in this years ESC - and man, what a vocal on a pretty great song. I also made sure we had it on in the background so I could watch just her when it came on on the night. She did magnificently. Some of the notes she heard were out of this world. On record it's a really nice mid-tempo ballad, but it's live that it really shines. She shoulda won!

069. Christine & The Queens - St Claude
Christine & The Queens has broken through in a big way this year and it's the smash hit 'Tilted' that most people have talk ed about and bought following great performances on Jools and Graham Norton. However, for me, it's this follow up that is the real jewel in the crown, the juxtaposition of the low growly vocals in the upbeat staccato verses and bridge with the falsetto beauty of the much calmer, slower chorus. It really is a construct of beauty and I'm sad it hasn't done anything here in the way Tilted has. Sure it's sold a few albums though. Take a listen, it's really intelligent pop music.

068. Little Mix - Shout Out To My Ex
One of the biggest hits of the year now - Little Mix are now true chart monsters, not unlike their X Factor counterparts 1D. The trouble is for me, while I appreciate this is a really great pop song, is that Little Mix seem to achieve most of their sales when they are at their most generic. Their bolder, darker moments (the likes of Salute), sell less, and I like them when they are thinking outside of that box. That said, I do think Touch is a step in the right direction. This is an undeniable shout it out loud pop anthem, but more by numbers than when this amazing group are at their greatest.

067. Nick Jonas ft. Tove Lo - Close
Much like 'Jealous' last year, this would have benefitted from the year ending in June, I would have placed it much higher. I think it's a really interesting, well written pop tune, with some great lyricisim ('space is just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get ... close' - as so many have attested to, is ace). But it has tailed off a little for me and doesn't stand up to too many repeat listens. What I do like is that Nick doesn't like to just play it safe, I like that he is tackling less obvious material and enlisting Tove Lo to duet with him on his sophomore lead shows he has a really interesting potential direction.

066. ZAYN - Like I Would
Speaking of 1D before, ZAYN came back solo this year - and results were mixed. I had a feeling he would come out and try and distance himself from the 'What Makes You Beautiful' style completely - and he did - but I didn't know he would try and steal The Weeknd's lane. He really did a pretty decent job of it though, this is a bit of a bop. Verses and chorus are good but it's the bridge that is the winner here .. oh... oh... probgbaly gonna sound wrong, promise it won't last long' - a real standout pop moment for me, well written and coupled with brillaint production made this not a must-have song on my iPod but a definitely happy when it came on the radio number.

065. Tom Odell - Magnetised
Tom Odell has always been hit and miss with me, and to be honest, mostly miss. This is the opposite and has made me excited to see him next year at Sziget festival for which I've just got my ticket. It's the chorus that completely sells it. Upbeat, punchy, anthemic, completely singalong. I love the punch in the 'CAUSE. IT'S. NOT. RIGHTTTTT' and also the 'keeeeeeeeeeps me hanging on' refrain. Just for sure one of his catchiest numbers and proving for sure he's not just a dull piano peddler. Love hearing this, and in it's remixed form too.

064. Selena Gomez - Hands To Myself
I used to think this girl was such a wet lettuce. The singles from this album and era though... man. She's killed it. Speaking of staccato though, QUEEN OF IT. 'can't. keep. my. hands. to. my. self' - instantly catchy from the off. And then that bridge comes out of nowhere where she becomes queen of emoting and feeling. The big moment is of course 'can't keep my hands to myself, I mean I could but why would I want to?' - iconic lead in to a final chorus. In a world where popstars rack their brains for ways to lead into the final stretch, Selena beats them all. Top pop tune that the cool kids have fought to cover.

063. 5 Seconds of Summer - Girls Talk Boys
This was refreshingly catchy from a band who seemed to go a little off the rails in era two. Sadly, this was not a success either but certainly should have been,. I liked how it had a falsetto and disco vibe (in the bridges) mixed with 5SOS' normal guitar style. The shoutalong 'When the girls... when the girls talk... when the girls talk boys' segment was also a delicious earworm. I fail to see how anyone could not be seduced by how this is such a simple catchy pop moment. Underrated, for me.

062. Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better
Still on a slightly disco vibe but from a VERY different band. I love the laidback style of Tame Impala and this song became their first real hit in my end of year charts. It is probably even simpler than the 5SOS one but just as effective, I love the chilled pick of the electic guitar as the bass layer as the singer floats across it with a dreamy falsetto. The lytics and rhymes could be described as a bit cheesy and obvious but by the end that turns into part of the charm, almost a game to guess! Thankfully there's an additional part 'can't you convince your lover to change his mind>' which adds variety and a different pace to the song. Very cool and a highlight of their Glasto set.

061. Niall Horan - This Town
Niall has always been my favourite 1D member and his decision to drop a track as the first soloist of the remaining members was a great surprise. However I will admit I found it a touch dull on premiere. Man it's a grower though. So well written, completely on trend, and the one take live video was such a good idea to prove right from the off that he can lead a tune on his own. I think his voice has improved lots since the start and there are moments of real magic in there. The bridge is the key part for me 'I remember everything from when we were the kids playing in this playground' and the music ascent is really lovely. Will be a moment in his gigs in a few years time for sure.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Return to Year End Personal Charts