The Leo Awards: Building 2017 Edition

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby leomedar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:46 pm

October 14th 2016

Rap/Hip-Hop

CupcakKe - Audacious

Audacious is the debut album by American hip-hop artist CupcakKe, who is an American rapper from Chicago, Illinois. She got an early start into music and poetry at the age of 10 by her involvement in her local church. It was also there that she got her start in performing, where she would perform for her local pastors by reciting poetry about her Christianity and faith.

Highlights: Mistress, Budget, Lgbt, Picking Cotton, Ace Hardware

French Montana - MC4

MC4 (abbreviation for Mac & Cheese 4) is the twenty first mixtape by American rapper French Montana. MC4 was originally intended to be his second studio album. However, the album's release was canceled after Target unofficially released the album on CD, on its original release date, August 19, 2016, two months before the album was set to release, which was later leaked online in its entirety.

Highlights: XPlicit (feat. Miguel), Brick Road

The Game - 1992

1992 is the eighth studio album by American rapper The Game. Two months after releasing his previous double album The Documentary 2 and The Documentary 2.5 respectively, The Game took to Instagram to announce his next project entitled "1992". Without saying too much about the album, he did reveal the album will have no guest appearances and the project will be executive produced by Nigerian producer and frequent collaborator Bongo.

Highlights: True Color/It's On, F**k Orange Juice, The Juice, Young ****, However Do You Want It, Baby You (feat. Jason DeRulo), All Eyez (feat. Jeremih)
leomedar
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:57 pm

October 14th 2016

Pop

Hillsong Worship - Let There Be Light

Let There Be Light is the 25th live album of Hillsong Worship, which consists of several worship pastors from Australian church Hillsong Church. Their music captures the heart and sound of Hillsong Church globally and represents the coming together of the Hillsong worship team from around the world.

Highlights: Behold (Then Sings My Soul), Love So Great, What A Beautiful Name, Let There Be Light, In Control, Grace To Grace, Elohim.

Rock

Conor Oberst - Ruminations

Ruminations is the seventh solo studio album by American musician Conor Oberst. On October 28, 2015, in the midst of Desaparecidos' tour for their second studio album Payola, it was announced that Conor Oberst had been hospitalized due to "laryngitis, anxiety, and exhaustion," according to a press release. The entirety of Desaparecidos' remaining tour dates were cancelled and Oberst returned to his hometown of Omaha to recuperate. Oberst would spend the coming months in Omaha, where he would go on to write and record the songs that make up Ruminations.

Highlights: Tachycardia, Barbary Coast (Later), The Rain Follows The Plow, A Little Uncanny, You All Loved Him Once

leomedar
Superstar

Postby urbanmusik » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Not a big fan of Cupcakke's music, but she's hilarious.

The Game's album is the only one I've heard out of them all, it's pretty good. Enjoyed the lead singles from Phantogram and Kaiser Chiefs as well.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby leomedar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:43 pm

urbanmusik wrote:Not a big fan of Cupcakke's music, but she's hilarious.

The Game's album is the only one I've heard out of them all, it's pretty good. Enjoyed the lead singles from Phantogram and Kaiser Chiefs as well.
not a fan of her second album, but the first one was cool, but yep not to take too seriously!
Phantogram in particular was a cool discovery this year.
leomedar
Superstar

Postby trebor » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Shouldn't Hillsong belong to Inspirational & Christian?
I have Conor Oberst filed under Americana rather than Rock (maybe Alternative Folk-Rock)! [Just my thoughts. Not complaining)
Ruminations is truly a great album. Wanted to enter it in the Album Cup. This is one of my favourite tracks: Conor Oberst: "Tachycardia"
trebor
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:58 pm

trebor wrote:Shouldn't Hillsong belong to Inspirational & Christian?
I have Conor Oberst filed under Americana rather than Rock (maybe Alternative Folk-Rock)! [Just my thoughts. Not complaining)
Ruminations is truly a great album. Wanted to enter it in the Album Cup. This is one of my favourite tracks: Conor Oberst: "Tachycardia"
I have a limited list of genres: Alternative, Pop, Rock, Latin, R&B, Rap/Hip-Hop, Country and Electronic

So under this list, the christian music classifies as pop. Ruminations was considered indie rock by wikipedia and while listening to it i decided to place it under rock. In fact I was between rock and alternative, that for me is everything that i find hard to define a genre, but thought it was rock.

TAchycardia is amazing, very good album opener, sets the expectations high for the album, and the album doesn't dissapoint!
leomedar
Superstar

Postby trebor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:15 pm

OK, I see. :D Makes sense; sorry for questioning in the first place!
(Totally missed the White Lies album; listening to it right now)
trebor
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 am

October 21st 2016

Rap/Hip-Hop

D.R.A.M. - Big Baby D.R.A.M.

Big Baby D.R.A.M. is the debut studio album by American rapper D.R.A.M. an American rapper, singer, songwriter and actor from Hampton, Virginia. D.R.A.M. was born in Germany and raised in Hampton, Virginia.

Highlights: Misunderstood (feat. Young Thug), WiFi (feat. Erykah Badu), Cash Machine, Broccoli (feat. Lil Yatchy), Cute

Joe Budden - Rage & The Machine

Rage & The Machine is the sixth studio album by American rapper Joe Budden. The album was entirely produced by AraabMuzik.

Highlights: Three, Serious (feat. Joell Ortiz), By Law (feat. Jazzy), Forget, Time For Work (feat. Emanny)

Pop

Lady Gaga - Joanne

Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, known professionally as Lady Gaga, is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. She is known for experimenting with new musical ideas and images, and for her unconventionality and provocative work. The album Joanne, was named after her deceased aunt who was an inspiration behind the music.

Highlights: Joanne, Perfect Illusion, Million Reasons, Sinner's Prayer, Hey Girl (feat. Florence Welch)

The Radio Dept. - Running Out of Love

The band was conceived in 1995 by schoolmates Elin Almered and Johan Duncanson, who named the group after a gas-station-turned-radio-repair-shop called "Radioavdelningen". However, Almered and Duncanson soon stopped playing music together, putting the band on hiatus. Then three years later, in 1998, Duncanson started making music again but now with Martin Larsson and they decided to adopt the same name. Running Out of Love is their fourth album.

Highlights: Sloboda Narobu. Swedish Guns, We Got Game, This Thing Was Bound To Happen, Running Out Of Love

Saint Motel - saintmotelevision

Saint Motel is an American indie pop band from Los Angeles, whose music has been described as everything from "dream pop" to "indie prog". Saintmotelevision (stylized as saintmotelevision) is their second studio album.

Highlights: Move, Getaway, Destroyer, Born Again, Sweet Talk, You Can Be You, For Elise, Local Long Distance Relationship (LA2NY), Happy Accidents

leomedar
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:16 am

trebor wrote:OK, I see. :D Makes sense; sorry for questioning in the first place!
(Totally missed the White Lies album; listening to it right now)
never ever feel sorry for asking me questions!!!
leomedar
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:42 am

Stranger Things's impact >>>

Joanne is a fantastic record! The only tracks where you'd find the wild eccentricity of 2009-2013 Gaga are "John Wayne" and "Dancin' in Circles," but the more stripped sound of the record showcases her beautiful voice. "Million Reasons" is a brilliant vocal performance. There really isn't any clunker on the album; it's a thoroughly pleasant listen, and one of the top pop albums this decade, I'd say.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:52 am

Are you a Stranger Things fan? :o

I need to catch up once i have enough time, but it was already nice to see Lady GaGa's "Joanne" while going through the topic :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Tansike wrote:Are you a Stranger Things fan? :o

I need to catch up once i have enough time, but it was already nice to see Lady GaGa's "Joanne" while going through the topic :)
Great show! Like it a lot.

Joanne was a pleasant surprise, Solid effort.
leomedar
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 pm

October 28th 2016

Alternative

CRX - New Skin

New Skin is the debut album by American rock band CRX. Lead singer, Nick Valensi has described the album's sound as a mix of power pop and heavy metal, and has named The Cars, Cheap Trick and Elvis Costello as influences.

Highlights: Ways To Fake It, Broken Bones, Slow Down,

Miniature Tigers - I Dreamt I Was a Cowboy

Miniature Tigers is an American indie pop band based in Brooklyn, New York that combines elements of indie rock, synthpop, and dream pop.

Highlights: Crying In The Sunshine, Pictures Of You, Wish It Was Now, Nobody Else.

Country

Blue Rodeo - 1000 Arms

Blue Rodeo is a Canadian country rock band formed in 1984 in Toronto, Ontario. 1000 Arms is their fifteenth studio album

Highlights: Hard To Remember, I Can't Hide This Anymore, Jimmy Fall Down, Long Hard Life, Superstar.

leomedar
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 pm

October 28th 2016

Electronic

Empire of the Sun - Two Vines

Empire of the Sun is an Australian electronic music duo from Sydney, formed in 2007. The band is a collaboration between Luke Steele of alternative rock act The Sleepy Jackson, and Nick Littlemore of electronic dance outfit Pnau. Two Vines is the third studio album.

Highlights: Before, High And Low, Two Vines, Way To Go, To Her Door

Latin

Giorgia - Oronero

Giorgia Todrani, best known as Giorgia (born 26 April 1971) is an Italian female singer, songwriter, musician, record producer and radio host. Known for her soulful voice, which is aided by a wide vocal range, high belting register and great vocal abilities.

Highlights: Oronero, Scelgo Ancora Te, Credo, Grande Maestro

Rap / Hip-Hop

Tkay Maidza - Tkay

Takudzwa Victoria Rosa Maidza, known by her stage name Tkay Maidza, is an Australian singer-songwriter and rapper, born in Zimbabwe. The concept for the album began in 2014, around the time Maidza was working on her debut extended play, entitled Switch Tapes.

Highlights: Always Been, Carry on (feat. Killer Mike), Simulation, Monochrome, Follow Me, Castle In The Sky, Drumsticks No Guns, You Want, At Least I Know

Rock

Courteeners - Mapping the Rendezvous

Courteeners are an English indie rock band formed in Middleton in 2006. All the music and lyrics for the Courteeners' songs are written by the band's frontman Liam Fray. He claims that all of the songs he has written are about personal experiences.

Highlights: Kitchen, No One Will Ever Replace Us, The Dilettante, Modern Love, The 17th

leomedar
Superstar

Postby urbanmusik » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 pm

The Tkay Maidza album was a nice surprise for me this year, while the D.R.A.M. album was appropriately cute.

Never really rated Joe Budden though, the only time I see him in the headlines these days is when he's coming for younger rappers and making ignorant comments.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby leomedar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:57 am

November 4th 2016

R&B

Alicia Keys - HERE

Alicia Augello Cook (born January 25, 1981), known professionally as Alicia Keys, is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, pianist, actress, and activist. Here is her sixth studio album. Keys told Humanity magazine that "the music for this album was created so fast—the fastest I've ever created music before. It was like raining down every night, like storms of music was just coming out. It was crazy because I never experienced creating like that; I came in already knowing what I wanted to start to talk about. I knew the topics that I wanted to address and I knew who I wanted to assemble to help me create this very powerful sonic and lyrical journey. So everything I did was with so much intention that when the music began it made sense that it just came so fast. We did probably 30 songs in like 10 days."

Highlights: Kill Your Mama, She Don't Really Care_1 Luv, Blended Family (What You Do for Love) (feat. ASAP Rocky), Work On It, Girl Can't Be Herself, More Than We Know, Holy War, Hallelujah, In Common

Tinashe - Nightride

Tinashe Jorgensen Kachingwe (born February 6, 1993) is an American singer, songwriter, actress, record producer, and model. Nightride is her second studio album. Rebecca Haithcoat of the Pitchfork stated "Tinashe has long preferred shadows and slinkiness to bright poppiness, and [Nightride] is strictly after-hours music."

Highlights: Lucid Dreaming, C´est La Vie, Company, Ride Of Your Life, Touch Pass

Keke Palmer - Lauren EP

Lauren Keyana "Keke" Palmer (born August 26, 1993) is an American actress, singer, songwriter and presenter. Palmer was born in Harvey, Illinois and raised in Robbins, Illinois. Lauren is her second extended play (EP).

Highlights: Doubtful, Jealous

Rap/Hip-Hop

Common - Black America Again

Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr. (born March 13, 1972), better known by his stage name Common (formerly Common Sense), is an American hip hop recording artist, actor, poet and film producer from Chicago, Illinois. Black America Again is his eleventh studio album. Common felt the need to release the album due to the American election year.

Highlights: Home (feat. Bilal), Black America Again (feat. Stevie Wonder), Love Star (feat. Marsha Ambrosious & PJ), Red Wine (feat. Syd & Elena), The Day Women Took Over (feat. BJ The Chicago Kid), Rain (feat. John Legend), Letter To The Free (feat. Bilal)

leomedar
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 am

November 4th 2016

Pop

Robbie Williams - The Heavy Entertainment Show

Robert Peter Williams (born 13 February 1974) is an English singer, songwriter and actor. In May 2016, it was announced that Williams had signed a recording contract with Sony Music. In a statement, Williams said: "They’re [Sony Music] inspired, I’m inspired. I’m more ready than I ever have been and I’m totally convinced I’m in the right place. I look forward to working on this album, which is an album I’m immensely proud of, in this exciting new partnership with Sony Music."

Highlights: Mixed Signal, Love My Life, Sensitive, David's Song, I Don't Want To Hurt You (feat. John Grant)

Alternative

Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions - Until the Hunter

Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions is an independent alternative/dream pop band composed of Hope Sandoval from the band Mazzy Star and Colm Ó Cíosóig of My Bloody Valentine. In a 2016 interview with Consequence of Sound, Ó Cíosóig explained how the musical composition differed from his and Hope's other bands, "It’s not that our other bands have restrictions, but there's a certain sound in those bands. Hope and I have a sound, but it's always changing and morphing into different things while still carrying a similar thread."

Highlights: Let Me Get There (feat. Kurt Vile), Treasure, Isn´t It True. I Took A Slip

Jim James - Eternally Even

James Edward Olliges, Jr. (born April 27, 1978), professionally known as Jim James or Yim Yames, is an American vocalist, guitarist, producer, and primary songwriter of the rock band My Morning Jacket. Eternally Even is his second solo album

Highlights: Same Old Lie, Here In Spirit, The World´s Smiling Now, In The Moment

Jaws - Simplicity

Jaws are an English indie pop band formed in Birmingham, England in 2012 after singer Connor Schofield had posted a demo (Cameron) online that received enough positive feedback to encourage him to start a band with friends from Halesowen College.

Highlights: Just A Boy, Right In Front Of Me, Cast, On The Sunshine, Work It Out, In The Morning, A Brief Escape From Life

leomedar
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Unpopular opinion alert: HERE is Alicia Keys's best album.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:25 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Unpopular opinion alert: HERE is Alicia Keys's best album.
I still think Diary was her best effort but HERE is a step in the right direction after Girl On Fire, a more mature sound and lyrics.
leomedar
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:40 pm

November 11th 2016

Rock

Sting - 57th & 9th

On 18 July 2016, Sting's first rock album in many years was announced. The title is a reference to the New York City intersection he crossed every day to get to the studio where much of the album was recorded. The album was recorded over a period of three months. Sting has said of the tight deadline: "Artificially reintroducing that pressure gave the album a kind of urgency it wouldn't have had otherwise." Sting described the album as having a spontaneous feel, featuring "a lot of rock 'n' roll" with themes of searching, travelling, the road and the pull of the unknown.

Highlights: I Can't Stop Thinking About You, Down Down Down, One Fine Day, PRetty Young Soldier

Rap/Hip-Hop

A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

A Tribe Called Quest was an American hip-hop collective formed in 1985. Along with De La Soul, the group was a central part of the Native Tongues, and enjoyed the most commercial success out of all the groups to emerge from that collective. The group is regarded as a pioneer of alternative hip-hop music, having helped to pave the way for many innovative artists. The group had begun work on the album following their appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on November 13, 2015, the same night of the terrorist attacks in Paris. Feeling "charged", the group put aside their differences, and decided to record their final album in secrecy. The album was incomplete when Phife Dawg died, but the surviving members continued to work on the album following his death.

Highlights: The Space Program, We The People, Solid Wall Of Sound, Dis Generation, Kids, Melatonin, Enough!, Black Spasmodic, Ego.

Pop

Sleigh Bells - Jessica Rabbit

Sleigh Bells is an American noise pop musical duo based in Brooklyn, New York, formed in 2008. The band's music has been known for its juxtaposition of simple pop hooks with loud, rhythmic noise, electronic beats, harsh guitar riffs and dreamy vocals, which has been described mainly as "noise pop". Jessica Rabbit is their fourth studio album

Highlights: It's Just Us Now, Lighting Turns Sawdust Gold, I Can't Stand You Anymore, I Can Only Stare, Unlimited Dark Paths, Baptism By Fire, Hyper Dark
leomedar
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:32 pm

November 18th 2016

Rap/Hip-Hop

E-40 - The D-Boy Diary: Book 1

Earl Stevens (born November 15, 1967) better known by his stage name E-40, is an American rapper from Vallejo, California. The D-Boy Diary: Book 1 is his twenty third studio album.

Highlights: Stack It To The Ceiling, Straight To The Point (feat. Ezale & G-Eazy), Savage (feat. Jazze Pha & B-Legit), Puttin' In Work, Mr. Arm And Hammer (feat. Stresmatic), Hunedz (feat. Rick Rock), Say So (feat. Istevie), Somebody (feat. Ricco Barrino), The Grit Don't Quit (feat. Nef The Pharaoh), Fake Lit (feat. June Onna Beat) and Made It Out (feat. Young Chu)

Electronic

Justice - Woman

Justice is a French electronic music duo consisting of Gaspard Augé and Xavier de Rosnay. Apart from the disco and funk influences of electro house, Justice's style has some heavy metal influence. Woman is their third studio album. Xavier de Rosnay described the album as being "like if you're in the car with your best friend and your lover and your kids"; some music critics also describe the album as being bright and joyful.

Highlights: Safe And Sound, Pleasure, Alkazam, Fire, Stop, Randy, Heavy Metal, Love SOS, Close Call

R&B

Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

Peter Gene Hernandez (born October 8, 1985), known professionally as Bruno Mars, is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, and choreographer. Mars' music has been noted for displaying a wide variety of styles, musical genres, and influences, including pop, rock, reggae, R&B, soul, and hip hop. This third album explores genres similar to those of its predecessor, such as soul and funk, while Mars and his team focused on capturing the R&B sound that was very popular in the 90's, described by the singer as the reason he fell in love with music in the first place.

Highlights: 24K Magic, Chunky, That's What I Like, Versace On The Floor, Straight Up&Down, Calling All My Lovelies, Finesse, Too Good To Say Goodbye

Kevin Abstract - American Boyfriend: A Suburban Love Story

an Simpson (born July 16, 1996), better known by his stage name Kevin Abstract, is an American rapper, singer-songwriter, and director. American Boyfriend: A Suburban Love Story is his second studio album

Highlights: Empty, Seventeen, Tattoo, Yellow, Runner, Papercut, June 29th, Miserable America, American Boyfriend, Echo, I Do

leomedar
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 pm

November 18th 2016

Country

Miranda Lambert - The Weight of These Wings

Miranda Leigh Lambert (born November 10, 1983) is an American singer and songwriter. In an August 2016 interview with Billboard, Lambert stated she had been working on the album for a year, which included writing and recording. She admitted she was nervous about her new music since she had mostly stayed quiet while writing it. he album's content is about her divorce with Blake Shelton and her current relationship with Anderson East.

Highlights: Runnin' Just In Case, Highway Vagabond, Ugly Lights, You Wouldn't Know Me, Getaway Driver, Vice, Smoking Jacket, Use My Herat, Tin Man, Good Ol' Days, Things That Break, Well-Rested, Keeper Of The Flame, Dear Old Sun, I've Got Wheels.

Pop

DNCE - DNCE

DNCE is an American dance-rock band. The group consists of vocalist Joe Jonas, drummer Jack Lawless, bassist and keyboardist Cole Whittle, and guitarist JinJoo Lee. DNCE is their self-titled debut studio album. As a "dance-oriented pop" album, DNCE also contains influences of new wave, dance-rock, disco, and alternative pop.

Highlights: Body Moves, Cake By The Ocean, Toothbrush, Blown (feat. Kent Jones), Good Day, Almost

Alternative

Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct

Metallica is an American heavy metal band from Los Angeles, California. The band was formed in 1981 by drummer Lars Ulrich and vocalist/guitarist James Hetfield. Hardwired... to Self-Destruct is their tenth studio album.

Highlights: Hardwired, Atlas Rise!, Now That We're Dead, Moth Into Flame, ManUNkind, Murder One, When A Blind Man Cries

Highly Suspect - The Boy Who Died Wolf

Highly Suspect is an American rock trio from Cape Cod, Massachusetts. The Boy Who Died Wolf is their second studio album.

Highlights: My Name Is Human, Little One, For Billy, Serotonia, Send Me An Angel, Viper Strike, FWYT, Chicago, Wolf

leomedar
Superstar

Postby trebor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:15 pm

(You really do listen to a lot of albums... :o )

Miranda Lambert: Considering that I don't especially like to listen to female voices (and their topics) this is an outstanding album and the best big label female album of the year... and by far. My favourite track is: "Getaway Driver"

Metallica: Felt this to be a tad edgier and rougher than previous albums; and I remember that I was so disappointed in the first song released: "Hardwired". However "Moth Into Flame" is pretty rad:

trebor
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Miranda delivered a pretty solid album.

Metallica was a grower. At the beg I found the album long and repetitive but then I started to like it and now think it is really strong. Moth is outstanding, also Atlas. If you see the video, they are drinking "mate" which is our traditional hot drink! When I saw that I just liked them more lol (I think the singer is married to an argentinian or uruguayan, not sure)
And then I saw them live in Lollapalooza Arg and the album live was amazing.
leomedar
Superstar

Postby trebor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 pm

Metallica: You found the right words for it and yes, it's definitely a grower! (still "Hardwired" is sub-par).
Will pay attention to the Mate drinking next time! :D Great you saw them live! (Envious 8-) )
trebor
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts