Grybop's Best of 2016 (-#01 + Recap Video)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Update, listened to Lazarus, it's great! Loved the verses especially. Even shared it with a friend, thank you!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Grybop » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:30 pm

^^ It was the verses I liked more at first, too! Now my favourite bit is the second part of the chorus. The only song I knew from VV was Shark in the Water, what progress! (I love Shark as well, but she's like a totally different artist now)
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:37 pm

I just got into "Sorry" this year. It is insanely catchy!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Grybop » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Just know that we love you
Your brother still loves you
Your mother she loves you
Your children they love you

03 Hanni El Khatib - Two Brothers

Dark disco. If there is one classic song on this list, one song that I'll be listening to with the same excitement in the following years, it's this one.
Nothing short of epic.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:04 pm

Grybop wrote:^^ It was the verses I liked more at first, too! Now my favourite bit is the second part of the chorus. The only song I knew from VV was Shark in the Water, what progress! (I love Shark as well, but she's like a totally different artist now)
I loved Shark too, and her album before that that never came out properly was great but yes so different now. Assume you've now heard Samson & Delilah? Samson itself and The Apple are ace, as are others from that album!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Grybop » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:16 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:
Grybop wrote:^^ It was the verses I liked more at first, too! Now my favourite bit is the second part of the chorus. The only song I knew from VV was Shark in the Water, what progress! (I love Shark as well, but she's like a totally different artist now)
I loved Shark too, and her album before that that never came out properly was great but yes so different now. Assume you've now heard Samson & Delilah? Samson itself and The Apple are ace, as are others from that album!
Yes, I love the Apple! I'm sure I heard Samson as well, I was looking for more from her after I heard Lazarus. She's so talented!
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Grybop » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:56 pm

:D
Last edited by Grybop on Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Grybop » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:08 pm

I'll never get to heaven
'Cause I don't know how

02 LP - Lost On You

This was definitely Gwen Stefani with a semi-interesting comeback. At least that's what I thought when the radio kept playing this over and over. Then I found out it wasn't. And it took me several months to really like this song, but once I got into it, there was no way back.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby KokoCollino » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:14 pm

"Lost On You" is the surprise masterpiece of the year!
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Benny » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:50 am

Just watched your video recap, nice work! :P
Benny
Legend

Postby Grybop » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks!
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Grybop » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:53 am

In my body
In my bones
Drop the beat
and free my soul
When I hear that rock and roll
OMG I lose control
La la la la, oh oh oh
La la la la, oh oh oh
I got to let it go

01 Hedley - Lose Control

Some mindless fun topping my list for once - Lose Control is just that, an upbeat pop song that I enjoyed a lot in 2016. Hedley hail from Canada and they sound like their equivalent of Maroon 5. I'd never even know they exist if it wasn't for trebor, who picked this song to play with in our Forum Song Contest last May or June I think. This is actually the first time an FSC entry tops my year-end chart! Thank you trebor!
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Grybop » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:54 am

OK, thank you for all your comments once again, I'll post my recap video in its right place, that is here :lol:

2 ways to watch it.

If your viewing this on a desktop computer, then click the video below. (preferably with your Adblock on)

My Best of 2016 #20 -> #01

If you're on your mobile or tablet, then see it on Vimeo.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby trebor » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:10 pm

:oops: I just can't at you putting Hedley at #1! 8-) Glad (I guess) that you like(d) it that much! :D
trebor
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:47 pm

Didn't know your #1, it's catchy :)
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Tansike » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:35 pm

10 Seeb ft. Neev - Breathe
09 Dami Im - Sound of Silence
04 Justin Bieber - Sorry
02 LP - Lost On You
01 Hedley - Lose Control
Some surprises here!
First of all, very glad to see Dami Im in your Top10. Definitely a huge song that also deserved to be the winner on the ESC 2016. Her vocals were impressive!
Justin's "Sorry" is easily the biggest surprise here, didn't expect to see him appearing on your list, but hey, "Sorry" is awesome and a very, very well done pop track, so it's definitely deserved.
"Lost On You" is one of my biggest favorite tracks of 2016, so i love to see this being your #2. I'm glad this became such a big hit in Greece which is basically the start of her career now, as it became a success in many other european countries as well.

I remember your #1 from the FSC and i even remember the song which is a good sign. Not sure if i gave it some points though, but it's definitely a catchy, radio-friendly track that could have been a big hit.

Great countdown - and i knew much more than expected. Is this a good or a bad thing? :P :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby Blondini » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:43 am

Didn't know about Chairlift :o :cry:
Caroline already did a solo record so it's not as shocking as it might have been but...
Ch-Ching is great but Romeo is more for me as it was their pop sings that got me.

Broods - Free is awesome and the best FSC discovery by far this year.

Video Video song was quite good - how random that the uploader has used pics of Page Three girl Maria Whittaker!

VV Brown had a good album last year but that wasn't a single i liked from it. Her album before that one was a complete classic.

The Greek smelling girl (song) is cute.

LP is intriguing but i'm not sold.
Not yet charted a Bieber thing either though i've never disliked him.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Grybop » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Blondini wrote:how random that the uploader has used pics of Page Three girl Maria Whittaker!

Do you actually remember her? Very pretty girl. I had to google her and Wikipedia says she made an attempt at singing in 1990, but there are no traces of her efforts on the net apparently!

Thank you for the comments.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby trebor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Grybop wrote: (... ) and Wikipedia says she made an attempt at singing in 1990, but there are no traces of her efforts on the net apparently!
Rhythm Zone: "Stop Right Now (Take My Number) (James Whale Show)"
Maria Whittaker: "Stop Right Now (Take My Number) (Fan Audio)"

If content is not available in your country, let me know!
trebor
Legend

Postby Grybop » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:32 pm

trebor wrote:
Grybop wrote: (... ) and Wikipedia says she made an attempt at singing in 1990, but there are no traces of her efforts on the net apparently!
Rhythm Zone: "Stop Right Now (Take My Number) (James Whale Show)"
Maria Whittaker: "Stop Right Now (Take My Number) (Fan Audio)"

If content is not available in your country, let me know!
Gee, thanks, I don't know why these wouldn't come up in my results. Whoa, no wonder she bombed, what a poor SAW copycat of a song. She looked lovely in that interview though, the host was being a dick.
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby Blondini » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:31 am

Well she WAS a stunner but clearly was advised that she should try to follow Sam Fox into the charts.
Linda Lusardi tried it, too with better results (sadly there's no actual video of her doing it).

The interviewer James Whale was a UK "shock-jock" DJ who got an after-midnight TV show for people coming back from the pubs and clubs. He was playing a part, really. He recently did well in our Celeb Big Brother (not as a villain, either). She doesn't look that bothered. :lol:
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Phoenixx » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:12 pm

Happy to see big 2015 hits in your 2016 Top-20:
How Deep Is Your Love and Sorry 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Return to Year End Personal Charts