Magnus's Top 200 Songs of 2016: FINISHED

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby MrRager » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:30 pm

I love MY Stupid Heart. Her best song imo. DEMI LOVATO COULD NEVER.
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Magnus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:37 pm

^ It would probably have been my favourite if "Got Me Started" didn't have that amazing middle eight (or whatever it's called) :D. It's still relatively close though. I agree that Demi's version would most likely not have been this good. I seem to remember you also liked Madeline Juno's song?
Magnus
Manager

Postby MrRager » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Yeah The Madeline Juno song is pretty good. However I liked her song "No Words" the most from that album.
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Magnus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:52 pm

^ :D I like "No Words" too, although it's not in the top 200. It's my fourth most played song from the album ("Salvation" and "Stupid Girl" are the other two).
Magnus
Manager

Postby Blondini » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 am

Blondini wrote:Woo Wasteland.

Nina, Britney, Kitten. :D
I should have mentioned The Boys, too. :oops:

RE: Bummin' Cigarettes. :lol: The word "bumming" means something else outside of America! Not stealing. :wink: Good job it doesn't use the British slang for cigarettes!

Almost snap for Fall On Me on my chart. :wink:
Thy Will narrowly missed my top 50 YE (literally #51).
Man On The Moon is as you say great.
The Great Divide made my YE shortlist.
Chewing Gum brill.
Roses great, Warning Call another shortlist song.
Kyla La Grange should be famous.
Nothing Else Matters best Little Mix album track by far.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Tansike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Magnus wrote:
Tansike wrote:...Also positively surprised about Vanessa's Placement for "Ich sterb für mich"...
..."Ich sterb für dich" ( :wink:)...
Funny misspelling of me; i obviously meant to write 'dich' :oops: :lol:

#60. Rachel Platten – Astronauts
#57. Against the Current – Roses
#56. Cappa – Hey Hi Hello
#54. Aubrie Sellers – Losing Ground
#52. Anna Känzig – Rebel Heart

#50. Kaya Stewart – So You Care Now
#49. Maren Morris – Space
#46. Kaya Stewart – Free Fall
#45. Britt Nicole – Through Your Eyes
#44. Beatrice Egli – Bitte Bitte
#42. Nina Kraljić – Snijeg
#41. Katelyn Tarver – Hate to Tell You

#39. Beatrice Egli – Federleicht
#36. Rebecca Black – The Great Divide

#30. Maren Morris – Rich
#29. RaeLynn – Diamonds
#27. Margaret – Cool Me Down
#26. That Poppy – Altar
#23. Shura – What's It Gonna Be?
#22. Aubrie Sellers – Something Special
#21. Britt Nicole – Concrete

#20. Hillary Scott & The Scott Family – Thy Will
#17. Maren Morris – Bummin' Cigarettes
#16. Demi Lovato – Body Say
#15. Britney Spears – Man on the Moon
#12. Martina Stoessel – My Stupid Heart
These are all the songs i like from the latest batches.

Wow at "My Stupid Heart" being so high. Good for her though! :)

"Man On The Moon", "Body Say", the entries by Maren Morris, "Thy Will", the ones by Britt Nicole, "Snijeg", "Rebel Heart", "Hey Hi Hello" and "Astronauts" are all really good :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby Magnus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:19 am

Thanks for commenting, MrRager, Blondini and Tansike! I'm glad there are a lot/some songs on my chart that you know and like!

Blondini wrote:I should have mentioned The Boys, too. :oops:
Oh, I didn't even notice you missed that one but of course. That actually most likely would not have been in my chart if I hadn't found it on yours! (Kitten too I noticed there first but would most likely have found anyway, but later.)

Blondini wrote:RE: Bummin' Cigarettes. :lol: The word "bumming" means something else outside of America! Not stealing. :wink: Good job it doesn't use the British slang for cigarettes!
Ah, I should have guessed it meant something dirty in the UK :wink:. I'm not that good at keeping track of what's US and what's British English; I'm probably mixing the two in my own posts. The word doesn't quite mean "stealing" in the lyrics though, more like the definition given here: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bum, "get by asking or begging".

Tansike wrote:Wow at "My Stupid Heart" being so high. Good for her though! :)
Yeah, but there was never a big difference between that and "Got Me Started", actually just 5% the first (most important) week and 8% the second. Of course I didn't see those numbers until after the year ended but they always felt close too. So don't expect the other one to be in the upper half of the top 10 :wink:.
Magnus
Manager

Postby Magnus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:20 am

Time has come to reveal the top 10! (Sorry about the delay; compared to last year I'm still almost a full day early though!)

But first the final results of the poll:

As we all learned in 2016 (if not sooner), polls can't be trusted ;). "Into You" was already revealed in the "bubbling under" list as #709 so that won't be my #1. You were correct not to vote for Britney or Demi though as we've already seen those songs at #15 and #16. I suspected (at the time the poll was created) they wouldn't make the top 10 but wanted to include a couple of songs that people have heard of and that I do like(d) a lot. (Not sure why I didn't include Zoë though.)

#10. Martina Stoessel – Got Me Started S V
(Album cover)

Plays: 494
Best Month: May (88%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 201
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (3 weeks) / 9

We just (oh well, a week ago :oops:) saw this young woman at #12 with "My Stupid Heart", but my favourite (and most played) song from Martina's album is this summery jam. 494 plays is a respectable number for #10, but as you will know if you followed my YEC last year my numbers tend to increase exponentially towards the very top and in fact the absolute difference between the #1 and the #10 is much bigger than between the #10 and the #200!

#9. Zoë – Loin d'ici S V

Plays: 605
Best Month: April (87%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 313
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (3 weeks) / 7

My very clear favourite from this year's ESC. It's also the most successful song in French in my YEC since 2001 (when Isabelle Boulay – Parle-moi was #6). Perhaps shockingly, it's also the only song in the top 10 that has a proper music video (Edit: This turned out to be incorrect as I had failed to notice that a video was released in December for "Got Me Started". I definitely prefer Zoës video though.)

#8. Coska – Nightdrive S A

Plays: 633
Best Month: June (65%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 245
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 2 / 12

Finnish-Swedish duo Coska are in my YEC top 10 for the second year in a row! "Sunstruck" looked like a one-hit-wonder when it became #6 last year, but then they returned with this almost as amazing song. (Both sound like they should have been released 30 years ago, but that's a good thing!)

#7. Jamie-Lee – Remember the Rain S
(Album cover)

Plays: 723
Best Month: May (51%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 134
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 2 / 14

She may have flopped in the ESC and the song she sang there, "Ghost", isn't on this YEC because I already discovered it in 2015 (otherwise it would have been around #100). But when I checked out her album I found this wonderful ballad. It's the highest song on the YEC that didn't become #1 on my weekly chart (due to high competition and lack of a single super strong week).

#6. Grete Paia – Rääkimata lood / Stories Untold S A / S A
(Single cover for the Estonian version, with the English one overlayed)

Plays: 972
Best Month: October (91%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 559
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (4 weeks) / 8

This is the first of two songs here in the top 10 that would have been an ESC song if it had been up to me. Or maybe not, because in this case I actually didn't discover the song until October so I had no idea in May what I was missing... When I finally did stumble upon it nothing could stop it though with four weeks at #1 on my weekly chart and 559 plays in its strongest week (slightly more than any song last year). I listened much more to the Estonian version than the English, 712 vs 260 plays.

#5. Cappa – Nirvana S A
(EP cover)

Plays: 1,037
Best Month: September (69%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 394
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (4 weeks) / 14

Similar to Coska, Nashville pop singer (Carla) Cappa also managed to follow up a 2015 #1 on my weekly chart with another amazing song. And no, the lyrics are not about the famous 90's grunge band :wink:.

More often than not the (new) song I listened to the most during the year was also the one that got the most weeks at #1 on my weekly chart. That's true for 2016 as well but it doesn't help much in guessing the winner because all four remaining songs got the same number of weeks (five)!

#4. Meghan Patrick – Breaking Records S
(Album cover)

Plays: 1,198
Best Month: June (68%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 576
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (5 weeks) / 13

I had never heard of Canadian country singer Meghan Patrick when 2016 began but this song became an immediate favourite when I listened the her album in late May. While it hasn't broken any actual records it did get one super strong week and five weeks at #1 on my weekly chart. And the song is actually about destroying vinyl discs, as is very clear from my favourite part of the lyrics: "every song that ever did me wrong is going up against the wall" :lol:

#3. Chelsea Lankes – Paralyzed S A
(EP cover)

Plays: 1,286
Best Month: October (43%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 256
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (5 weeks) / 14

American singer/songwriter Chelsea Lankes wasn't completely new to me when I found the EP with this song. I had first noticed her in 2013, but this became her first hit on my chart and while it wasn't as explosive in the beginning as the other top songs it grew to become really amazing, and more stable in the top 3 on my weekly chart than any other song the past few years (except for week 52 when it dipped to #9 it has been in the top 3 every week since I started listening to it). It's still a bit too early to tell but most likely this song would have been a very serious contender for #1 had I found it in April when it was released (or at least a few months earlier than when it actually happened). As is it will have to make do with #3 as it simply did not have enough time to be able to match the top 2 songs.

#2. Aubrie Sellers – Dreaming in the Day S
(Album cover)

Plays: 1,955
Best Month: April (41%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 492
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (5 weeks) / 40

2016 was a great year for country music in general and especially for this song by Aubrie Sellers, daughter of country singer Lee Ann Womack and another artist I had never heard of when the year started. While this song did get a very strong start, it was when it returned to #1 in early July that it started to really look like a strong candidate for YEC #1. Unlike the song that actually ended up at #1, Aubrie's song has so far never left my weekly top 30 chart, and only spent two of those 40 weeks outside the top 20. The only song by a country singer that can fully compete with this one in terms of total plays or how much I actually like it is Carrie Underwood's "Quitter" (that I didn't discover until 2015). I just love almost everything about this song; its only weak points are that the production could probably have been slightly better and that I would have preferred a proper middle eight towards the end. I'm pretty sure though that in the long run this song is going to beat the #1, although it may have trouble staying ahead of the #3!

#1. Simone – Heart Shaped Hole S A
(Improved single cover; her face is not on the official one :()

Plays: 2,114
Best Month: January (50%)
Highest Weekly Plays: 808
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (5 weeks) / 43

This song could have been Denmark's ESC song in 2016 (but only finished 3rd :o in their final). Its fate wasn't decided yet when I found it though, and it was huge for me especially in its first week. Only two songs before (both in 2010) had reached more than eight hundred plays in a single week. Had I known before I listened to my YEC that I had listened to it that much the first week it would have been easier to guess it as #1. Notice that the difference in total plays between this and the #2 is only half as big as the difference their respective strongest week, so it definitely at least looks like this was decided by the level of obsessiveness in the very beginning. Perhaps shockingly, this YEC #1 is however not my overall most played song in 2016! It isn't even the one with the highest weekly plays! :o (Look out for the chart of my mostly played older songs in 2016, to be posted here in about a week.) I'm not sure exactly why I love this song so my. Part of it may be because I found it so early when competition from other new songs was rather low, and it did get half of its total plays just in the second half of January. The second chorus is really something though. And her voice. And the melody and the overall production. The only slightly weaker part is the lyrics; I'm still not quite sure what the song is really about. If the lyrics had been as good as for the #2, #3 or #4 maybe this would have gotten 4,000 plays, and 6,000 if I had also met her. (Not really a joke, as that's what actually happened with the 2009 YEC #1.)
Last edited by Magnus on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Magnus
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:09 am

Love to see Jamie-Lee inside of the Top-10 8-) 8-) 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:08 pm

I'm still so happy to see your love for Anni Perka :D I wonder if she will release something new this year ...
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby MrRager » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Love your no.1! Also made my Year End Chart!

Also really like the Coska, amie Lee, Cappa and Chelsea Lankes songs. So overall its a great Top 10!
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Blondini » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:44 am

Magnus wrote:
Blondini wrote:RE: Bummin' Cigarettes. :lol: The word "bumming" means something else outside of America! Not stealing. :wink: Good job it doesn't use the British slang for cigarettes!
Ah, I should have guessed it meant something dirty in the UK :wink:. I'm not that good at keeping track of what's US and what's British English; I'm probably mixing the two in my own posts. The word doesn't quite mean "stealing" in the lyrics though, more like the definition given here: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bum, "get by asking or begging".

Yeah, that's what i meant. :oops:

Yay Jamie-Lee.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby MrRager » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:01 am

Just noticed that you listened to Simone more than 800 times in a week!! :o :lol: 8-)
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Magnus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks for commenting, Phoenixx, KokoCollino, MrRager and Blondini!

Phoenixx wrote:Love to see Jamie-Lee inside of the Top-10 8-) 8-) 8-)
Yeah, that song is amazing!

KokoCollino wrote:I'm still so happy to see your love for Anni Perka :D I wonder if she will release something new this year ...
:D You probably already know this, but there are a couple of new songs (plus two Christmas songs) by her that I only found very late in the year and haven't really listened to yet, they are on the "Geschenk-Edition" of her album. Hopefully she will release more stuff in 2017 but I haven't looked for any info about it yet!

MrRager wrote:Love your no.1! Also made my Year End Chart!

Also really like the Coska, Jamie Lee, Cappa and Chelsea Lankes songs. So overall its a great Top 10!
Yeah, it was great to see it on someone else's YEC too (even if too low :P)! And thanks for finding the top 10 great! (If there are any songs there that you haven't checked out you probably should check them out too!)

MrRager wrote:Just noticed that you listened to Simone more than 800 times in a week!! :o :lol: 8-)
Yup, that's very high even for me, only four songs have ever reached 800 or higher (one of them will be on the chart of most played older songs in 2016).

Blondini wrote:Yeah, that's what i meant. :oops:

Yay Jamie-Lee.
Ah, ok! :D
Magnus
Manager

Postby Magnus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:36 pm

Top 25 Albums of 2016

Here I present the chart of my 25 favourite new albums in 2016. Similar to last year (and unlike for my weekly albums chart) I include only full length albums (minimum eight songs) here, and they have to be released in 2016.

The albums are ranked by a score that is the total number of plays of the included songs multiplied by a breadth factor (computed the same way as for my weekly chart) that depends on how the plays are distributed between the songs (the more even the better).

Album #25. Vanessa Mai – Für Dich

Score / Total Song Plays: 101 / 197
Released: 15th April
Best Month: March (36%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 28
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 12 / 6
Top Tracks: Ich sterb für dich, Ich liebe dich

Album #24. Joyce Jonathan – Une place pour moi

Score / Total Song Plays: 101 / 170
Released: 5th February
Best Month: December (100%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 97
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (1 week) / 5
Top Tracks: Si un jour, Je tiens les rênes

Album #23. Sabrina Carpenter – Evolution

Score / Total Song Plays: 121 / 151
Released: 14th October
Best Month: December (33%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 37
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 5 / 7
Top Tracks: On Purpose, All We Have Is Love

Album #22. Anna Känzig – Sound and Fury

Score / Total Song Plays: 127 / 262
Released: 6th March
Best Month: May (59%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 53
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 4 / 12
Top Tracks: Rebel Heart, Get Out

Album #21. Hillary Scott & The Scott Family – Love Remains

Score / Total Song Plays: 134 / 417
Released: 29th July
Best Month: October (57%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 69
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 6 / 14
Top Tracks: Thy Will, Love Remains, Beautiful Messes

Album #20. Nina Kraljić – Samo

Score / Total Song Plays: 152 / 412
Released: 30th September
Best Month: October (66%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 98
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 3 / 7
Top Tracks: Snijeg, Lighthouse, Zaljuljali smo svijet

Album #19. Tegan and Sara – Love You to Death

Score / Total Song Plays: 179 / 440
Released: 3rd June
Best Month: May (51%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 98
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 7 / 5
Top Tracks: 100x, White Knuckles, U-Turn

Album #18. Britt Nicole – Britt Nicole

Score / Total Song Plays: 183 / 560
Released: 7th October
Best Month: October (73%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 294
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 3 / 5
Top Tracks: Concrete, Through Your Eyes

Album #17. Christina Stürmer – Seite an Seite

Score / Total Song Plays: 193 / 222
Released: 22nd April
Best Month: April (65%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 144
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 2 / 11
Top Tracks: Seite an Seite, Katapult, Immer weiter

Album #16. Jamie–Lee – Berlin

Score / Total Song Plays: 211 / 849
Released: 29th April
Best Month: May (47%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 148
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 4 / 11
Top Tracks: Remember the Rain, Ghost, Last Dance

Album #15. Madeline Juno – Salvation

Score / Total Song Plays: 219 / 594
Released: 26th February
Best Month: March (21%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 92
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 4 / 27
Top Tracks: You Know What?, Salvation, Stupid Girl, No Words

Album #14. Foxes – All I Need

Score / Total Song Plays: 242 / 314
Released: 5th February
Best Month: February (43%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 52
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 3 / 18
Top Tracks: Wicked Love, Amazing, Body Talk, On My Way, Cruel

Album #13. Kaya Stewart – Kaya Stewart

Score / Total Song Plays: 252 / 576
Released: 12th August
Best Month: November (99%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 357
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (3 weeks) / 5
Top Tracks: Free Fall, So You Care Now, Sleepover

Album #12. Against the Current – In Our Bones

Score / Total Song Plays: 290 / 422
Released: 20th May
Best Month: July (72%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 106
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 2 / 14
Top Tracks: Roses, Wasteland, Running with the Wild Things

Album #11. Britney Spears – Glory

Score / Total Song Plays: 293 / 714
Released: 26th August
Best Month: August (59%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 335
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (1 week) / 8
Top Tracks: Man on the Moon, Invitation, Just Luv Me, Make Me...

Album #10. Carly Rae Jepsen – Emotion Side B

Score / Total Song Plays: 327 / 417
Released: 26th August
Best Month: August (51%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 157
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (2 weeks) / 10
Top Tracks: Cry, Higher, Roses, Fever

Album #9. Beatrice Egli – Kick im Augenblick

Score / Total Song Plays: 366 / 637
Released: 8th April (original edition)
Best Month: November (55%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 159
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (1 week) / 16
Top Tracks: Federleicht, Bitte Bitte, Wo sind all die Romeos, Die Musik sind wir

Album #8. Meghan Patrick – Grace & Grit

Score / Total Song Plays: 420 / 1,396
Best Month: June (61%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 617
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 2 / 13
Top Tracks: Breaking Records, Kiss Me Already, Who Knew

Album #7. Martina Stoessel – Tini

Score / Total Song Plays: 495 / 1,143
Best Month: May (81%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 426
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 2 / 11
Top Tracks: Got Me Started, My Stupid Heart, Still Standing, Born to Shine

Album #6. Jason Aldean – They Don't Know

Score / Total Song Plays: 648 / 718
Released: 9th September
Best Month: September (71%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 245
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (4 weeks) / 11
Top Tracks: Lights Come On, First Time Again, A Little More Summertime, They Don't Know

Album #5. Kalie Shorr – The Y2k Mixtape

Score / Total Song Plays: 688 / 877
Released: 13th March
Best Month: July (65%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 219
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (6 weeks) / 14
Top Tracks: Break the Breakup, Outta My Mind, Yesterday's News, Class of 2000

Album #4. Madeline Merlo – Free Soul

Score / Total Song Plays: 950 / 1,265
Released: 29th April (the 4th album in the top 25 released that day!)
Best Month: May (74%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 470
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (6 weeks) / 10
Top Tracks: Whatcha Wanna Do About It, Twist of Fate, War Paint, Over and Over

Album #3. Anni Perka – Lass uns träumen

Score / Total Song Plays: 998 / 1,309
Released: 19th February
Best Month: February (72%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 399
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (1 week) / 11
Top Tracks: Tanz auf dem Vulkan, 10000 Nächte, Halt mich fest, Und wenn du liebst

Album #2. Maren Morris – Hero

Score / Total Song Plays: 1,127 / 1,467
Released: 3rd June
Best Month: June (36%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 359
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (4 weeks)/ 24
Top Tracks: Bummin' Cigarettes, 80's Mercedes, Rich, Space

Album #1. Aubrie Sellers – New City Blues

Score / Total Song Plays: 1,763 / 3,164
Released: 29th January
Best Month: April (50%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays: 802
Peak Position / Weeks on Weekly Chart: 1 (5 weeks) / 41
Top Tracks: Dreaming in the Day, Something Special, Losing Ground, Like the Rain, People Talking, Humming Song

Only country and schlager in the top 6 :lol:! There weren't any really great pure pop albums released in 2016 in my opinion (the best pop songs weren't on any full length albums released during the year).

Unlike on the songs YEC there is a very clear winner here. It got more than twice as many plays as any other album (released in 2016) although because "Dreaming in the Day" is so far ahead of the other songs it isn't quite as superior when looking at the score. And yes, it would only be #3 if I had included albums released before 2016 (might do a mini chart of those later).

Unlike most of the other albums in the top 25 I didn't find Aubrie's album right after it was released and I could easily have missed it entirely, or discovered it much later in the year. This is the only album (except some that were released very late) that didn't miss a single week on my weekly chart since I started listening to it. It even entered a week earlier than "Dreaming in the Day" did on the songs chart!

Here's a nice music video, released 5 days ago, for "Over and Over" on the #4 album:

Magnus
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:42 pm

I only like Jamie Lee :D
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby MrRager » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:06 am

Carly and the Tegan And Sara albums are my favs! Both great.

Are you going to post the chart of the songs that wern't released in 2016? :D
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Magnus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks for commenting Phoenixx and MrRager!

Phoenixx wrote:I only like Jamie Lee :D
One album is still better than none at all! :D

MrRager wrote:Carly and the Tegan And Sara albums are my favs! Both great.

Are you going to post the chart of the songs that wern't released in 2016? :D
I'm glad you like those! Too bad you're not more into country or German schlager...

Yeah, was preparing to post the top 50 of that yesterday but didn't quite finish it then. It will appear a minute after this post!
Magnus
Manager

Postby Magnus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Top 50 Older Songs – Here are all the "missing" songs

Songs released during the year were a bit less dominant in 2016 with 53.5 percent of total plays, compared to the record high of 70.4 percent last year. Here I present my top 50 most played songs in 2016 released before 2016. The majority of songs here belong to one of three categories: Newly discovered songs that I had never heard before, big favourites from 2015 that continued to do very well in 2016 and songs I discovered very late in 2015 that had often only gotten just a few plays before the new year started. The number of plays needed to become #50 on this chart turned out to be almost as high as was needed for #25 last year, so it makes sense to extend this presentation from 25 to 50 positions.

#50. Lauren Alaina – History (2015) S A

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 93 / 187
Best Month in 2016: January (63%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 30
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 7

Lauren Alaina was absent from the real YEC because she didn't release any new songs in 2016 (except for a Christmas song and an ultra-late release of a song from her upccoming album) but she has five songs in this top 50!

#49. Wolkenfrei – Der Kopf sagt nein, das Herz schreit ja! (2015)
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 95 / 95
Best Month in 2016: March (54%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 28
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 11

The first of twelve songs for German schlager trio Wolkenfrei (who existed in 2013-2015). And if I had extended this to the top 100 they would have appeared with 29 songs (two full albums minus one song). Even though this is nowhere near an absolute record it's still something that doesn't happen every year and especially not for an artist with song lyrics that are not in English or Swedish.

#48. Franziska – Souvenir (2015) S

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 96 / 96
Best Month in 2016: December (100%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 67
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 4

While not (at all) obvious from the song title, this too has lyrics in German. It's the first of three songs from German singer Franziska.

#47. Wolkenfrei – Felsenfest (2015)
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 97 / 97
Best Month in 2016: March (56%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 25
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 14

#46. Wolkenfrei – Du berührst mein Herz (2015)
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 99 / 99
Best Month in 2016: March (57%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 24
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 15

#45. Wolkenfrei – Von Tokio bis Amerika (2015)
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 101 / 101
Best Month in 2016: March (55%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 24
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 13

#44. Jamie-Lee – Ghost (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 102 / 105
Best Month in 2016: February (61%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 26
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 19

#43. Maren Morris – Drunk Girls Don't Cry (2015) S A
(Album cover from 2016)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 110 / 111
Best Month in 2016: February (35%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 18
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 24

#42. Wolkenfrei – Schenk mir den Morgen danach (2015)
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 113 / 113
Best Month in 2016: March (44%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 35
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 10

#41. Allie X – Sanctuary (2015) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 116 / 117
Best Month in 2016: July (63%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 39
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: (didn't chart, too old)

This does not fit into any of the three categories as the one play it got in 2015 was in May rather than late. I don't really remember why, but for some reason I didn't like it much then and didn't listen again until a year later after MrRager had recommended it. Then I noticed that it's actually a very good song!

#40. Livy Jeanne – Fake It Past Goodbye (2015) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 116 / 148
Best Month in 2016: January (84%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 36
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 8

#39. Chris Young & Cassadee Pope – Think of You (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 117 / 117
Best Month in 2016: April (33%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 21
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 12

#38. Franziska – Geschrien im Schlaf (2015) S
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 119 / 119
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 77
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 3

#37. RoxSo – Goodbye (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 129 / 504
Best Month in 2016: January (70%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 34
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 12

#36. Ashley Monroe – On to Something Good (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 130 / 888
Best Month in 2016: January (59%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 23
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 18

#35. Stine Bramsen – Not What I Came For (2015) S
(EP cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 132 / 629
Best Month in 2016: January (67%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 32
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 13

#34. Wolkenfrei – Wachgeküsst (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 149 / 149
Best Month in 2016: February (44%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 65
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 6

#33. Wolkenfrei – Mein Herz schlägt Schlager (2015)
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 153 / 153
Best Month in 2016: February (42%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 65

#32. Alan Walker featuring Iselin Solheim – Faded (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 158 / 158
Best Month in 2016: February (71%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 46
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 5

#31. Dove Cameron – Say Hey (2015) S A
(Soundtrack album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 174 / 534
Best Month in 2016: April (69%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 117

#30. Madeline Juno – The Unknown (2014) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 181 / 181
Best Month in 2016: April (40%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 50

#29. Dove Cameron – True Love (2015) S A
(Soundtrack album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 184 / 373
Best Month in 2016: April (78%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 137

#28. Chvrches – Down Side of Me (2015) S
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 188 / 700
Best Month in 2016: October (71%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 62

#27. Lauren Alaina – Holding the Other (2015) S
(EP cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 194 / 339
Best Month in 2016: January (53%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 35

#26. The Band Perry – Live Forever (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 194 / 789
Best Month in 2016: August (43%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 37

#25. Wolkenfrei – Jeans, T-Shirt und Freiheit (2013) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 197 / 197
Best Month in 2016: March (61%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 66

#24. Dove Cameron – You, Me and the Beat (2015) S A
(Soundtrack album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 198 / 401
Best Month in 2016: April (76%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 145

#23. Wolkenfrei – Küss mich noch mal (2014) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 211 / 211
Best Month in 2016: March (73%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 77

#22. Lauren Alaina – Road Less Traveled (2015) S V
(Single cover from 2016)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 216 / 386
Best Month in 2016: January (49%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 38
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 3

#21. Selena Gomez – Cologne (2015) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 220 / 657
Best Month in 2016: October (72%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 138

#20. Lauren Alaina – The Middle (2011) A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 220 / 222
Best Month in 2016: March (38%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 44

#19. Served – Psycho (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 228 / 232
Best Month in 2016: January (84%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 82

#18. Maren Morris – 80's Mercedes (2015) S V
(Album cover from 2016)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 258 / 260
Best Month in 2016: February (33%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 36

#17. Carrie Underwood – Little Toy Guns (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 261 / 1,532
Best Month in 2016: January (60%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 64

#16. Melissa Naschenweng – Federleicht (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 272 / 272
Best Month in 2016: November (99%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 152

#15. Emilie Esther – Inescapable (2015) S A

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 313 / 973
Best Month in 2016: June (37%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 63

#14. Ashley Monroe – From Time to Time (2015) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 314 / 1,045
Best Month in 2016: July (36%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 58

#13. Wolkenfrei – Wolke 7 (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 371 / 371
Best Month in 2016: February (66%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 245
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 1 (1 week)

#12. Wolkenfrei – Sommerliebe (2015)
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 382 / 382
Best Month in 2016: February (47%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 179
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 2

#11. Coska – Sunstruck (2015) S A

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 434 / 1,409
Best Month in 2016: August (26%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 51

#10. Franziska – Halbes Gefühl (2015) S
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 441 / 441
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 257
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 1 (2 weeks)

This amazing song was #1 on my weekly chart the two last weeks of the year and would have continued to dominate for at least a couple of weeks longer if it hadn't been from 2015.

#9. Jana Kramer – Circles (2015) S V
(Single cover from 2016)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 445 / 1,184
Best Month in 2016: January (24%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 54
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 10

#8. Hilary Duff – Breathe In, Breathe Out (2015) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 446 / 1,671
Best Month in 2016: January (34%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 66

#7. Carrie Underwood – Quitter (2009) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 510 / 2,369
Best Month in 2016: January (28%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 41

This huge discovery in 2015 continued to do well in 2016, especially in the first two months of the year. Competition among songs released in 2009 is unfortunately ridiculous (due to Amy Diamond) so despite now being my 29th most played song all time it's still only the 14th biggest song from that year!

#6. Lauren Alaina – Next Boyfriend (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 566 / 996
Best Month in 2016: December (25%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 68

Lauren Alaina's highest song is of course this song that I discovered late in 2015.

#5. Dove Cameron – As Long As I Have You (2015) S A
(Soundtrack album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 829 / 4,063
Best Month in 2016: January (31%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 185

The 2015 YEC #1 continued to do well in 2016, especially in the beginning of the year (up to and including April).

#4. Emmelie de Forest – Haunted Heart (2013) S A
(Album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 978 / 7,974
Best Month in 2016: February (20%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 88

My favourite (and now finally the most played) song of the decade continued to get plays as if it were still a new song, although 2016 did become its worst year so far (after 1,978, 3,568 and 1,448 plays in 2013-2015). Surprisingly February became its best month this year; usually it does by far the best in April or May.

#3. Cappa – Goddess (2015) S A

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 1,014 / 1,201
Best Month in 2016: January (42%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 119

This was my last great discovery of 2015 and with extremely little time it managed to become #54 on the YEC last year. Not limited to 1% of a full year it got more than 1,000 plays in 2016, very close behind her newer song "Nirvana". She's only the fifth artist ever to have more than one song above 1,000 plays the same year.

#2. Dove Cameron – If Only (2015) S V
(Soundtrack album cover)

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 1,796 / 3,677
Best Month in 2016: August (23%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 314

The #2 on the YEC last year got almost as many plays in 2016 as it did in 2015 and has now almost caught up with the #1 in total plays. A possible #3 on my Decade Chart if no new super amazing songs show up in 2017 or 2018 (2019 will probably be too late to reach the top 5).

#1. Wolkenfrei – Der Zaubertrank ist leer (2015) S V

Plays in 2016 / Total Plays: 2,257 / 2,257
Best Month in 2016: March (51%)
Highest Weekly Plays in 2016: 840
Peak Position on Weekly Chart in 2016: 1 (4 weeks)

Here it is, not just the #1 older song but the overall most played song in 2016, with 143 plays more than the YEC #1! It also got the second highest ever number of weekly plays the week I discovered it, 840. My reaction the very first time I heard this was simply "Wow, what a song!" (I said that out loud, although I don't remember if I said it in English or in Swedish ["Wow, vilken låt!"]). This was on a Tuesday when I was driving to visit my parents; had it been on a Monday and had I been at home the whole week it seems likely this song could have been the first song ever to reach 1,000 plays in one calendar week. Given a start like that, 2,257 plays for the whole year isn't actually all that impressive. The song didn't work as well in the summer as it did in March and much later (its clear second best month was October) and it spent "only" 32 weeks on my weekly chart, compared to 43 for "Heart Shaped Hole".

The melody of this is just mesmerizing, the production is close to flawless and it has amazing lyrics in a language I can now understand reasonably well but haven't been overexposed to. The vocals are great too.

Magnus
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Great to see Jamie-Lee, Selena and ALAN 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby cdschart » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Really like the CHVRCHES song and Carrie Underwood's entries here. Maren Morris's "80's Mercedes" is good too.
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby Magnus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:05 pm

^^ Thanks for commenting, Phoenixx and cdschart!

This post will conclude the YEC stuff in this thread. There are two things left to look at: the most successful older albums in 2016 (full length proper artist albums) and the most played artists.

Top 15 Older Albums

Album #15. Miranda Cosgrove – Sparks Fly (2010)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 99 / 124 / 1,229
Best Month in 2016: March (56%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 65
Top Tracks: Kissin U, Adored, What Are You Waiting For?

Album #14. Livy Jeanne – Dashboard Renegade (2015)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 103 / 211 / 320
Best Month in 2016: January (64%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 53
Top Tracks: Fake It Past Goodbye, 80 Proof, Runaway Train

Album #13. Carrie Underwood – Play On (2009)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 108 / 521 / 2,494
Best Month in 2016: January (29%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 43
Top Tracks: Quitter, Play On

Album #12. Taylor Swift – Red (2012)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 136 / 155 / 3,190
Best Month in 2016: April (30%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 29
Top Tracks: Come Back... Be Here, I Knew You Were Trouble, Begin Again, Starlight, Red

Album #11. Zoë – Debut (2015)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 143 / 644 / 644
Best Month in 2016: April (85%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 313
Top Tracks: Loin d'ici, Je t'aime

Album #10. Selena Gomez – Revival (2015)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 163 / 282 / 1,466
Best Month in 2016: October (57%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 138
Top Tracks: Cologne, Good for You, Me & the Rhythm, Sober, Same Old Love

Album #9. Madeline Juno – The Unknown (2014)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 179 / 302 / 302
Best Month in 2016: March (44%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 89
Top Tracks: The Unknown, Error

Album #8. Amy Diamond – Swings and Roundabouts (2009)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 193 / 214 / 92,156
Best Month in 2016: September (45%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 45
Top Tracks: Heartbeats, It's My Life, Lucky Star, A Good Day, Up, Crossfire (+ the other 9 tracks)

If this album had always been at its current pace I would have had to have listened to it since the 16th century for it to have reached its current total plays!

Album #7. Jana Kramer – Thirty One (2015)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 241 / 503 / 1,636
Best Month in 2016: January (24%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 54
Top Tracks: Circles, All I've Got, Said No One Ever

Album #6. Hilary Duff – Breathe In. Breathe Out. (2015)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 245 / 511 / 2,408
Best Month in 2016: January (33%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 67
Top Tracks: Breathe In Breathe Out, My Kind, Arms Around a Memory, One in a Million, (All About You)

Album #5. Ashley Monroe – The Blade (2015)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 345 / 518 / 3,024
Best Month in 2016: January (31%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 60
Top Tracks: From Time to Time, On to Something Good, Dixie, The Blade, Weight of the Load

Album #4. Franziska – Magnetisch (2015)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 422 / 809 / 809
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 358
Top Tracks: Halbes Gefühl, Geschrien im Schlaf, Souvenir, Mein Prinz

Album #3. Emmelie de Forest – Only Teardrops (2013)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 710 / 1,295 / 12,331
Best Month in 2016: February (19%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 135
Top Tracks: Haunted Heart, Change, Only Teardrops, Force of Nature, What Are You Waiting For, Let It Fall

The album of the decade (so far) is still going strong.

Album #2. Wolkenfrei – Wachgeküsst (2015)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 1,867 / 2,130 / 2,130
Best Month in 2016: March (40%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 811
Top Tracks: Sommerliebe, Wolke 7, Mein Herz schlägt Schlager, Wachgeküsst

Album #1. Wolkenfrei – Endlos verliebt (2014)

Score / Song Plays in 2016 / Total Song Plays: 1,871 / 3,448 / 3,448
Best Month in 2016: March (57%)
Highest Weekly Song Plays in 2016: 1,050
Top Tracks: Der Zaubertrank ist leer, Küss mich noch mal, Jeans T-Shirt und Freiheit

The two Wolkenfrei albums are extremely close in score, although the #1 (thanks to "Der Zaubertrank ist leer") got a lot more total plays. Given this result, the outcome of the following should not come as a surprise:

Top 10 Artists in 2016

1. Wolkenfrei (5,578 plays)
 2.  Dove Cameron (3,283)
 3.  Aubrie Sellers (3,164)
 4.  Cappa (2,370)
 5.  Simone (2,121)
 6.  Maren Morris (1,467)
 7.  Chelsea Lankes (1,441)
 8.  Meghan Patrick (1,396)
 9.  Emmelie de Forest (1,339)
10.  Lauren Alaina (1,319)
Magnus
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:17 am

Red is my fav. 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby MrRager » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:38 am

Sanctuary :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Some great songs here!!!! I thought As Long As I Have You would be higher than If Only :o Nice to see your love for Breathe In. Breathe Out.

Also good to see Miranda Cosgrove sneaking into the albums. Thanks for that High Maintenance album by the way <3

Amy Diamond - My Impact :wink:
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Magnus » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks for commenting, Phoenixx and MrRager!

Phoenixx wrote:Red is my fav. 8-)
:D It's my favourite Taylor Swift album!

MrRager wrote:Sanctuary :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Some great songs here!!!! I thought As Long As I Have You would be higher than If Only :o Nice to see your love for Breathe In. Breathe Out.
Nah, "As Long As I Have You" did well up until and including April but after that "If Only" was much stronger and still got regular plays long after it had become ineligible for the songs chart. I definitely like it more now and if nothing unusual happens it's going to catch up in total plays at least before the end of the decade. :D
Magnus
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts