Paulboard Top 50 of 2016 | **No. 2 + No. 1**

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Last edited by phoenix98 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 15 times in total.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:05 pm

1.) The Paulboard Top 50 of 2016 was compiled by awarding points to each song based on its chart run on the weekly Paulboard Top 30. Each week that a song spent at No. 1 = 30 points, No. 2 = 29 points, etc. A song with a run of *1* - 1 - 10 - 20 - 30 - OUT would receive 30 + 30 + 21 + 11 + 1 = 93 total points.
2.) If multiple songs tied with the same point total, they're ranked based on their weekly peak position. If they also share the same peak, they're ranked based on the number of weeks they spent at that peak, in the Top 5, Top 10, Top 20, or Top 30.
3.) Any song that charted on the weekly Top 30 is eligible for the Top 50 of 2016. This means album tracks and official singles will appear.
4.) Any song that debuted on the weekly Top 30 in prior years is eligible for the Top 50 of 2016, but songs only received points for weeks they spent on the chart in 2016 (charts dated 01/03/16 - 12/25/16.)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Oh really excited for this! :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:57 pm

Looking forward to this! Nice to see Ariana and Rihanna on the sexy OP image. What did Ellie do this year, though? :lol:
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:50 am

excited!!
bluecherry
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Many thanks and much love for all the comments already! :D

Tansike wrote:Oh really excited for this! :D
You're the ULTIMATE dependable commenter, amigo! I know there's gonna be at least a few...well, at least one, for sure...moment here that you'll hate, but hopefully the good will outweigh the bad overall!

Thanks again, Tansike! :D

JSparksFan wrote:Looking forward to this! Nice to see Ariana and Rihanna on the sexy OP image. What did Ellie do this year, though? :lol:
Woah...does my collage have the power to flip you? Well, I guess those ladies deserve some of the credit for looking so fine in the first place, but still...

Ha, she served up a UK Top 20 hit (and US Bubbling Under smash) soundtrack single, in fact!

Thanks again, Akini! :D

bluecherry wrote:excited!!
Here's hoping it lives up to the hype! 8-)

Thanks again, blue! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:00 pm

10.) "BLACK AND WHITE" | Kylie Minogue ft. Shaggy [225pts]
09.) "WHAT DO YOU MEAN?" | Justin Bieber [241pts]
08.) "FIGHT SONG" | Rachel Platten [274pts]
07.) "GIMMIE LOVE" | Carly Rae Jepsen [308pts]
06.) "BLANK SPACE" | Taylor Swift [319pts]
05.) "BLACK MAGIC" | Little Mix [326pts]
04.) "LOVE ME LIKE YOU DO" | Ellie Goulding [328pts]
03.) "딱 좋아 (JUST RIGHT)" | GOT7 [363pts]
02.) "OCTAHATE" | Ryn Weaver [368pts]
01.) "STYLE" | Taylor Swift [608pts]

phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:09 am

phoenix98 wrote:Woah...does my collage have the power to flip you? Well, I guess those ladies deserve some of the credit for looking so fine in the first place, but still...

Ha, she served up a UK Top 20 hit (and US Bubbling Under smash) soundtrack single, in fact!

2016's robbed us of a lot, but it's not taken away my homojo! :wink:

Ah, I've not heard that song actually. I'll probably check it out when I'm done with my year-end charts.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:18 am

phoenix98 wrote:I know there's gonna be at least a few...well, at least one, for sure...moment here that you'll hate, but hopefully the good will outweigh the bad overall!
Hmm i think i know which one... as long as it won't be #1 :P

Your 2015 Top10 looks awesome! I have to admit that i don't know the track by Kylie, so i need to check it out. Same with GOT7, but that's probably not a surprise. Other than that i really like most others. The gap from "Style" to "OctaHate" is huge :o
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:15 pm

JSparksFan wrote:2016's robbed us of a lot, but it's not taken away my homojo! :wink:

Ah, I've not heard that song actually. I'll probably check it out when I'm done with my year-end charts.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely BRILLIANT! If you haven't already, you need to get on trademarking that ASAP!

I know I always say this, but no big rush ;) Now that I'm really knee-deep in the process of compiling my countdown, I forgot how much time these take! There's also certain to be other tracks on this list that I'd more strongly encourage you to check out....

Tansike wrote:Hmm i think i know which one... as long as it won't be #1 :P

Your 2015 Top10 looks awesome! I have to admit that i don't know the track by Kylie, so i need to check it out. Same with GOT7, but that's probably not a surprise. Other than that i really like most others.

The gap from "Style" to "OctaHate" is huge :o
:wink: :wink: :wink:

Well, I guess I shouldn't be TOO surprised, now that I know how you feel about Kylie overall :cry: Kidding (but not) aside, "Black And White" was from a little 3-track digital-only EP that she randomly dropped last fall, so it didn't get much exposure/promotion at all. She did film a cute low-budget official video, at least.

Ha, yeah, "Style" is really in a league of its own when it comes to Paulboard longevity 8-) The gap between this year's Top 2 (Top 3, in fact) isn't anywhere NEAR as extreme.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:30 pm

55.) "GREEDY" | Ariana Grande
Points = 113
Debut = 05/22/16
Run = *12* – 15 – 14 – 30 – 13 – 22 – 19 – 21 – OUT – 20 – SC

54.) "I WON'T LET YOU DOWN" | Meghan Trainor
Points = 113
Debut = 05/15/16
Run = 17 – *2* – 3 – 24 – OUT – 18 – OUT – 9 – OUT

53.) "IF I'M DANCING" | Britney Spears
Points = 114
Debut = 09/04/16
Run = 11 – 10 – 9 – *7* – 8 – OUT – 27 – OUT

52.) "SHOULDA KNOWN BETTER" | Janet Jackson
Points = 114
Debut = 01/10/16
Run = *1* – 10 – 7 – 22 – 15 – OUT – 17 – OUT

51.) "アローラ!! (ALOLA!!)" | Rica Matsumoto
Points = 115
Debut = 11/20/16
Run = *1* – 1 – 19 – 7 – 12 – OUT
phoenix98
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:13 pm

Greedy is a really undeniable pop hit!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for the link of Kylie's video, i'll check it out later today! :)

As for the 'nearly made it' list it's probably not a big surprised that i love the ones by Ariana, Meghan and Britney. "If I'm Dancing" is fun and i always enjoyed listening to it back when the album came out. "Greedy" used to be one of my clear faves on "Dangerous Woman" and i would have loved for this to be the fourth single instead of "Everyday" to be honest. It's sooo catchy!

Janet's song was nice. Didn't remember that it hit #1 on your weekly chart :oops:

That Alola track is obviously nice as well because i love the game right now 8-)
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:30 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:Greedy is a really undeniable pop hit!
So true 8-)

...and yet, she/her team somehow decide to release "Everyday" instead. :x

Thanks again, Adam! :D

Tansike wrote:Thanks for the link of Kylie's video, i'll check it out later today! :)

As for the 'nearly made it' list it's probably not a big surprised that i love the ones by Ariana, Meghan and Britney. "If I'm Dancing" is fun and i always enjoyed listening to it back when the album came out. "Greedy" used to be one of my clear faves on "Dangerous Woman" and i would have loved for this to be the fourth single instead of "Everyday" to be honest. It's sooo catchy!

Janet's song was nice. Didn't remember that it hit #1 on your weekly chart :oops:

That Alola track is obviously nice as well because i love the game right now 8-)
Ha, no pressure! I just like putting some promo out there for my faves ;) (especially if I can easily link to an official video.)

Hmmm...does the "back when the album came out" mean that you no longer like the track as much...or it that just because you're over Glory entirely? :lol: You dropped a "used to" for "Greedy" too! Are these compliments actually peppered with shade??? That aside, I 110% agree about "Greedy" >>> "Everyday."

Ah, no worries! Off the top of my head, I'm almost certain that I didn't start posting my chart on UKMIX again until after that track had already been on top.

I could definitely gush about that game for days, but I'll save that for my weekly chart thread! :lol:

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:00 pm

50.) "DON'T WANNA KNOW" | Maroon 5 ft. Kendrick Lamar
Points = 116
Debut = 10/16/16
Run = *1* – 9 – 12 – 18 – 22 – 10 – 29 – OUT

Adam Levine & Co. narrowly squeeze into the bottom of this year's Top 50 with latest lead single "Don't Wanna Know." I was actually pretty disappointed when I picked up Songs About Jane after loving "This Love" and especially "She Will Be Loved", so I've been completely on-board with their poppier transition in recent years (though you could argue that really began back with It Won't Be Soon Before Long.) Although the recent tropical-house trend popularized by Bieber was pretty played-out by the time this track dropped, the catchiness of the pre-chorus was enough to make up for the tired production: "Do you think of me, of what we used to be, is it better now, that I'm not around..."
49.) "GETTA BANBAN (MAD-PACED GETTER)" | Tomohisa Sako
Points = 118
Debut = 03/20/16
Run = *7* – 12 – 23 – OUT – 15 – 11 – 15 – 25 – OUT – 29 – OUT – 24 – OUT

The third opening of the Pokémon anime's XY series, "Getta Banban", also served as a "theme" of sorts for Ash's Gym challenge against his travelling-buddy Clemont. Although Ash had journeyed alongside Gym Leaders before, this was the first time they'd actually built rapport over the course of 50+ episodes before battling it out for a Badge, which made for an especially emotionally-charged showdown. The energy in this track perfectly reflects Clemont's Electric-type specialty.
48.) "딱 좋아 (JUST RIGHT)" | GOT7
Points = 118
Debut = 07/19/15
Run =
[*1* – 1 – 1 – 2 – 2 – 6 – 18 – OUT – 13 – 13 – 14 – 7 – 9 – 7 – OUT – 13 – OUT – 20 – OUT – 11 – 29 – OUT – 28 – OUT] – 15 – 8 – 13 – 15 – OUT – 27 – 5 – 29 – OUT – 18 – OUT
The only holdover from last year's Top 50, GOT7's "딱 좋아 (Just Right)" is one of my ultimate mood-lifting anthems (partially bolstered by its painfully adorable MV.) The chorus is super simple and repetitive (a theme we'll see again on this list), but it's pretty much sure to make you smile. Now if only I could actually have seven fit Korean dudes doing synchronized dance routines to cheer me up whenever I'm looking tragic...
47.) "IN MY BLOOD" | The Veronicas
Points = 121
Debut = 06/19/16
Run = 12 – 10 – 13 – *6* – 8 – 16 – OUT

It may be a far cry from the likes of "Untouched" or "You Ruin Me", but "In My Blood" still made enough of an impression to give The Veronicas another sizable Paulboard hit. The video faced a lot of flack for being too dull, or just not matching what people had expected, but I actually found it pretty captivating and hypnotic. It's highly doubtful the track would've charted long enough to make this list without the video's help.
46.) "BETTER" | Meghan Trainor ft. Yo Gotti
Points = 127
Debut = 05/15/16
Run = 11 – *4* – 12 – 21 – 28 – 26 – OUT – 20 – 16 – 14 – OUT

Possibly the most shocking and baffling flop of 2016, "Better" seemed like the perfect third-single-selection, only to wind up as the biggest failure of Meghan's career thus far. It sounds unlike anything she's done before, it was a clear standout on Thank You from the start, and it even received one of her most interesting (and certainly her most emotional) video to date. Somehow all of those promising pieces added up to a massive flop, and it looks like they may have pulled the plug on the Thank You era entirely because of it.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby marat2408 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:51 pm

"Better" is my favorite Meghan Trainor's song, good to see it in top 50.
marat2408
Superstar

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:58 am

The only one I know in that set is Maroon 5, I'm the opposite to you, I adored Songs About Jane and some of the poppier stuff is a disappointment to me - including this, sadly!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:31 pm

marat2408 wrote:"Better" is my favorite Meghan Trainor's song, good to see it in top 50.
Ah, yeah - if I remember correctly, it got off to a pretty slow start on your chart, but grew into a surprisingly big hit :D I really liked her debut album, so I don't think I could call "Better" my all-time-favorite from her - but it's definitely my favorite of the Thank You singles!

Thanks again, marat! :D

king_oxymoron wrote:The only one I know in that set is Maroon 5, I'm the opposite to you, I adored Songs About Jane and some of the poppier stuff is a disappointment to me - including this, sadly!
Ouch :lol: Well, there's no denying that this is an especially basic offering from them, even by their own deliberately-accessible-pop-making standards. Although I do still like it, it's probably my least favorite lead single of theirs...possibly ever? Well...certainly miles off from the likes of "Makes Me Wonder" and "Payphone", anyway. Have any of their post-MLJ offerings done much for you?

Thanks again, Adam! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:01 pm

45.) "SEND MY LOVE (TO YOUR NEW LOVER)" | Adele
Points = 128
Debut = 05/29/16
Run = 13 – 16 – OUT – 27 – 12 – *11* – 11 – OUT – 20 – 13 – OUT – 28 – OUT

Although Adele’s astronomical commercial success since 21 has been fascinating to watch unfold, especially in an era when Diamond albums seemed like a relic of the past, I’ve rarely found myself strongly drawn to her material. She has an incredible voice, no doubt, and an ability to deeply connect with listeners of all ages, but I never really felt the urge to put her offerings on repeat. "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)" certainly stood out from the pack, however, and although it never reached a very impressive Paulboard peak, it kept me coming back more than any Adele single had done before.
44.) "HAIR" | Little Mix ft. Sean Paul
Points = 128
Debut = 05/29/16
Run = 7 – *5* – 13 – 20 – OUT – 22 – 14 – 15 – 24 – OUT

After losing my attention toward the end of the DNA era, and throughout the entire Salute campaign, Little Mix won me back in a BIG way with the pure pop masterpiece that is "Black Magic." That piece of bubblegum heaven kicked off a string of four stellar singles from their third LP, the last of which lands right here. I'm actually not sure if I've ever heard the original album version in full, but I like how Sean Paul chimes in on the single version to play the role of the sleazy bf.
43.) "ONE DANCE" | Drake ft. Wizkid & Kyla
Points = 128
Debut = 04/10/16
Run = 26 – 5 – 7 – *3* – 13 – 7 – OUT – 28 – OUT
Drake's first-ever Hot 100 No. 1 as a lead artist (about damn time, btw) also marks his first-ever appearance on a Paulboard Year-End Countdown (although "Find Your Love" and "Hold On, We're Going Home" both came close.) "One Dance" was undoubtedly one of the biggest international success stories of 2016, and it didn't even have any kind of official video until months after its commercial peak (a situation that we'll actually see again with another entry much higher up the list...)
42.) "WORK FROM HOME" | Fifth Harmony ft. Ty Dolla $ign
Points = 134
Debut = 03/06/16
Run = *1* – 2 – 14 – 18 – 7 – OUT – 21 – 22 – 30 – OUT – 30 – OUT

Just as 2016 saw Drake reaching the top of the Hot 100 for the very first time, it also bore witness to Fifth Harmony's first-ever Hot 100 Top 10. Although that obviously should've happened way back with "Sledgehammer", it turned out that what these girls really needed to do all along was simply repeat a single word: "work, work, work, work, work, work, work..."
41.) "PRIVATE SHOW" | Britney Spears
Points = 138
Debut = 08/07/16
Run = 12 – *6* – 7 – 11 – 16 – 14 – 13 – OUT

After being served with official lead single "Make Me...", our next taste of Britney's ninth studio album came in the form of "Private Show." Although Brit's in full "Chipmunkney" mode throughout the track (I definitely can't take credit for that term of "endearment", but I definitely love it), which may be an instant dealbreaker for some, it proved itself to be a real earworm for me, keeping me well entertained until we got access to the entirety of Glory.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi Paul :D

Just taking a break from my own top 100 countdown to check out others charts. :D

So these are my favourite songs to appear so far:

The music video sells the song. The song itself is nothing special. :lol:

Why did Better flop on its ass? I much preferred this to Me too which just failed to click with me.

I'm guessing you didn't know about Vimeo? I was surprised to find a clip of One dance on there that features the proper version. There's a soundalike version on YouTube which for some bizarre reason has had over 2 million hits. Surely people listening to it realised that it's not Drake singing, or are they just really simple? :lol:

I wonder if That's my girl will be higher. :wink:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:32 am

"Greedy" was such a huge fan favourite that I went into it with enormous expectations, and left disappointed. It's grown on me since, but the album has far stronger moments.

I really don't care for "If I'm Dancing". :oops: The chorus is a bit annoying.

"Don't Wanna Know" isn't bad, but M5 have done much, much better. Speaking of M5, do you recall how basic I thought "Payphone" was back in 2010? Well, I heard it at a T.G.I.Friday's, and absolutely loved it. It's going to have a long overdue second wind with me.

I find it interesting that such an anti-Adele song ended up as your favourite single from her...though I guess that's why you like it so much! The song doesn't really have a message that I'd champion, but it was definitely a nice change of pace from her slower ballads.

"One Dance" is uber fun at a party or a similar social setting, but to just listen to it on my bed browsing the Internet, its magic is lost, and since the second setting reflects my day-to-day environment, I was never going to really adore "One Dance".

"Work from Home" is good! It was the first Fifth Harmony song to really have an impact on my chart.

Chipmunkney doesn't work that well for me, but I still like "Private Show" for some odd reason. I honestly don't know why; on paper, I really shouldn't.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:24 am

Nice to see it reaching the Top 50
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:34 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, no pressure! I just like putting some promo out there for my faves ;) (especially if I can easily link to an official video.)

Hmmm...does the "back when the album came out" mean that you no longer like the track as much...or it that just because you're over Glory entirely? :lol: You dropped a "used to" for "Greedy" too! Are these compliments actually peppered with shade??? That aside, I 110% agree about "Greedy" >>> "Everyday."

Ah, no worries! Off the top of my head, I'm almost certain that I didn't start posting my chart on UKMIX again until after that track had already been on top.

I could definitely gush about that game for days, but I'll save that for my weekly chart thread! :lol:

I checked it out and it's quite nice, actually starts like typical Kylie, but once Shaggy starts it gets a bit more interesting, but overall nothing that amazes me (no surprise there though). I lol'ed a bit at the video... :oops:

More the second thing, plus i haven't listen to "Glory" since months... :oops: Similar with Ariana's album, haven't heard it for weeks now, need to re-listen soon though as it was a highlight of 2016 after all. But when it comes to "Greedy", it was in my clear Top3 at first (together with "Into You" and "Side To Side"), but with time i've discovered some other songs as well so i didn't count it to my faves anymore after that.

Ah okay :)

:)

Great two batches. "Work From Home" is definitely my fave out of these all, and it's nearly on a similar position on my countdown <3
"Better", "One Dance", "In My Blood" and "Send My Love" were all great moments from 2016. I wish "Better" would have done better. It's really surprising how this flopped, as Meghan always scored a hit, and "Better" was even a good song and also got a good video, so there's absolutely no reason why this flopped :(
"Hair" is cool. Never really got into the song until i saw the girls two months ago. They only did three songs where i saw them, but "Hair" was one of them and i really, really liked the performance / song there :)
Unfortunately, i think "Private Show" is one of Britney's weakest tracks ever... :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:30 pm

JakeP wrote:Hi Paul :D

The music video sells the song. The song itself is nothing special. :lol:

I'm guessing you didn't know about Vimeo? I was surprised to find a clip of One dance on there that features the proper version. There's a soundalike version on YouTube which for some bizarre reason has had over 2 million hits. Surely people listening to it realised that it's not Drake singing, or are they just really simple? :lol:

I wonder if That's my girl will be higher. :wink:
Hey Jake :D Many thanks for stopping by!

Ha, yeah, it's been tough finding anybody else who's even remotely enthusiastic about that song, so I'll GLADLY take some compliments for the video, at least! :lol:

You've got me there :oops: so I definitely appreciate the tip! I'd been having pretty good luck between YouTube and Dailymotion, but apparently Drake's and Britney's teams are actually really on top of it when comes to yanking down unofficial uploads. Damn their efficiency! Any rate, I figure a lot of those viewers were probably like me - just kept clicking around in (vain) hope of finding the official version somewhere. I could be wrong, but I think it counts as a view as soon as you open/start the video? Or maybe you do actually have to sit through to a certain % of it first? That latter approach would make much more sense, of course, instead of rewarding vids with clickbait titles (and BS audio.) :x

Well...I can promise you that we'll be seeing 5H at least once more. ;)

Thanks again, Jake! :D

JSparksFan wrote:"Greedy" was such a huge fan favourite that I went into it with enormous expectations, and left disappointed. It's grown on me since, but the album has far stronger moments.

I really don't care for "If I'm Dancing". :oops: The chorus is a bit annoying.

"Don't Wanna Know" isn't bad, but M5 have done much, much better. Speaking of M5, do you recall how basic I thought "Payphone" was back in 2010? Well, I heard it at a T.G.I.Friday's, and absolutely loved it. It's going to have a long overdue second wind with me.

I find it interesting that such an anti-Adele song ended up as your favourite single from her...though I guess that's why you like it so much! The song doesn't really have a message that I'd champion, but it was definitely a nice change of pace from her slower ballads.

"Work from Home" is good! It was the first Fifth Harmony song to really have an impact on my chart.

Chipmunkney doesn't work that well for me, but I still like "Private Show" for some odd reason. I honestly don't know why; on paper, I really shouldn't.
Ouch. Maybe us "Greedy" fans are a tad delusional and they made the right choice by denying it single status after all... :lol:

She does seem to be putting on a random fake accent of sorts during the chorus: "if I'm DAHNcing, if I'm DAHNcing...", but I find it more charming than annoying :lol: The production/instrumental throughout the whole track, though >>>

The power of TGI Friday's :o I LOVE that "Payphone" has finally spoken to you, and I'M ESPECIALLY charmed by the fact that TGI Friday's played a major role in this change of heart. Speaking of payphones, I really should give your local one a call and see if I can convince them to let me curate their playlists from now on...

I just had to be contrary with that one. ;)

Well, since you're someone who "work work work work work work work"s harder than almost anybody else I know, it does make especially good sense that this track spoke to you above the likes of "Miss Movin' On", "Sledgehammer", etc. Though "BO$$" would've been pretty fitting, no? I mean, you don't technically have that title (yet), but you sure as hell have the skills and the gumption of one.

Ha, yeah, I've been trying to tease apart why I find it more endearing than annoying, and it's hard to say. The bouncy beat and overall playful tone do fit perfectly with the flirty, striptease theme of the song...but it's not like I'm ever actually engaging in one of those. :oops:

heppolo wrote:Nice to see it reaching the Top 50
Many thanks for stopping by, heppolo! Glad to see that track really clicked with you too :D Now if only they could crack the international market with these solid singles of theirs...

Tansike wrote:I checked it out and it's quite nice, actually starts like typical Kylie, but once Shaggy starts it gets a bit more interesting, but overall nothing that amazes me (no surprise there though). I lol'ed a bit at the video... :oops:

More the second thing, plus i haven't listen to "Glory" since months... :oops: Similar with Ariana's album, haven't heard it for weeks now, need to re-listen soon though as it was a highlight of 2016 after all. But when it comes to "Greedy", it was in my clear Top3 at first (together with "Into You" and "Side To Side"), but with time i've discovered some other songs as well so i didn't count it to my faves anymore after that.

Great two batches. "Work From Home" is definitely my fave out of these all, and it's nearly on a similar position on my countdown <3

"Better", "One Dance", "In My Blood" and "Send My Love" were all great moments from 2016. I wish "Better" would have done better. It's really surprising how this flopped, as Meghan always scored a hit, and "Better" was even a good song and also got a good video, so there's absolutely no reason why this flopped :(

"Hair" is cool. Never really got into the song until i saw the girls two months ago. They only did three songs where i saw them, but "Hair" was one of them and i really, really liked the performance / song there :)

Unfortunately, i think "Private Show" is one of Britney's weakest tracks ever... :oops:
Ha, I think some LOL'ing at that video is appropriate! Although the song itself is quite sad, she's being really playful/adorkable in many of the scenes. Her goofy dancing >>>> :lol:

Although it hurts my heart that "Greedy" has worn off you, I'd love to hear what your DW Top 5 looks like as of right now (including all tracks, single or not.) Though maybe I should hold off until you have a chance to do that re-listen you mentioned...

<3 <3 <3 I'm still a little surprised by, but definitely don't mind that, this turned out to be the 5H single that won over basically everybody.

"Better" :x :x :x I mean...speechless. Coming off two Top 20 hits from Thank You, four Top 20 hits from Title...suddenly, she can't even crack the Hot 100?!?! I know that "Me Too" did pretty poorly abroad, but "Better" should've been the single that got her back on track in those territories, not dig her into an even deeper hole! It really seemed like the choice that could not only please fans, but finally win over people who had previously found her consistently annoying. #icant

I should see if Jake has a link to that performance... ;)

"Private Show" is like Britney's "Love Me Like You Do" :cry: Ha, kidding! Admittedly, if it hadn't been released as a promo single ahead of the full album, it might not have stood out to me quite as much as it did.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:00 pm

40.) "LOST BOY" | Troye Sivan
Points = 140
Debut = 02/07/16
Run = *2* – 14 – 9 – 17 – 6 – OUT – 13 – OUT – 16 – OUT

Although I'm a bit past the point where I can refer to myself as a "boy", there's something pretty universal about not being sure of exactly what you want in life, and how you can wind up hurting others while trying to figure that out. Message aside, the "not ready to be found..." hook is one of biggest earworm moments on an album sprinkled with standouts.
39.) "CRASH" | Usher
Points = 149
Debut = 06/19/16
Run = 8 – *1* – 3 – 5 – 13 – 22 – 16 – OUT – [14 – SC]
Sadly, Usher's first-ever Paulboard No. 1 seemed to have the opposite effect on the general public, failing to many an impact anywhere other than Australia (for some reason?) Maybe that's just punishment for his (inexplicable) choice to actually keep his shirt on throughout the entire video.
38.) "러시안 룰렛 (RUSSIAN ROULETTE)" | Red Velvet
Points = 149
Debut = 09/11/16
Run = 4 – *1* – 3 – 9 – 15 – 5 – OUT –
[8 – SC]
If I could urge you to check out any video on this countdown that you probably wouldn't have come across otherwise, THIS is the one. It's such a fascinating (and unsettling) mix of morbid and sexy, with an homage to Tom & Jerry/Itchy & Scratchy in the mix. As intrigued and impressed as I am by the video, this track actually first came to my attention when I was randomly browsing through the US iTunes Pop chart, so I do think the song itself has plenty of merit too, even when separated from the visual.
37.) "STILL FALLING FOR YOU" | Ellie Goulding
Points = 150
Debut = 09/04/16
Run = 12 – 7 – 27 – *2* – 2 – 4 – 13 – OUT

Although a far cry from the soundtrack stunner that is "Love Me Like You Do", "Still Falling For You" still managed to grow into a sizable Paulboard smash last fall. It never builds to as massive of a chorus as LMLYD, but that subtlety/restraint is definitely a part of this song's charm. As is true of many of Ellie's offerings (though she apparently didn't have a hand in writing this one), there's some clever lyrics to be found as well: "this love is like letters in bold..."
36.) "BAD THINGS" | Machine Gun Kelly ft. Camila Cabello
Points = 155
Debut = 10/23/16
Run = *1* – 1 – 2 – 17 – 15 – 20 – 27 – 28 – 13 – OUT –
[7 – SC]
Speaking of bad things, I've got a bad feeling that this song will be forever associated with Camila's departure from Fifth Harmony. Whether or not her choice to chase the dream of being a full-time hook-girl is a wise one, there's no doubt that she shines on this particular track. Plenty catchy, of course, and who can't relate to a hook like: "what can I say? it's complicated..."
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts