Paulboard Top 50 of 2016 | **No. 2 + No. 1**

Moderator: tdc2000

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:31 am

Glad you listened to St Claude it's so lovely!

You do yourself down, you write perfectly great captions - the Timberlake one made me laugh. That and 5H are decent songs - is it considered a flop for them? I think it did it's job here in the UK.. they've had a consistent era (though not sure if the album has benefitted)

I love me some Nick Jonas but have you seen the DNCE Body Moves video? Damnnnnn Joe.

I need to listen more to E-Mo-Tion Side B as I adore the original album and haven't given this one much of a shot. Actually there is loads I need to listen to here, I don't know most of it. I can only hope it's better than Make Me :lol: :wink: Shout Out To My Ex is fun, but we've discussed that enough!

I love me some We Don't Talk Anymore, don't think I've ever seen the video though!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Ah, I never likened "Make Me Like You" or Gwen to True Blue, but now that you mention it, I don't imagine "Make Me Like You" sounding that out of place on that album. For me, the song is one of the few Gwen singles I like. Infectious and frothy - I think that's basically Gwen at her best.

"Shout Out to My Ex" isn't bad, but I don't think I'll ever love the girls as much as I did during their first era.

Rihanna summed up what Ariana sings about with a single line: I choose to be happy. "Be Alright" has grown on me. It gets a bit lost on the album surrounded by the bigger, bolder anthems, but this is nice!

Interesting "Man on the Moon" analysis (and thanks for the shout-out). I, too, had always assumed that she was consoling herself, but the Send my message into outer space, wonder if it's gonna float your way line in verse one does provide some credence to your theory that she's referring to her distant lover. Hmm...I do prefer the internal dialogue story to this new reality you've presented, but, like you said, the song's a winner with either interpretation.

"Butterfly" is eclectic and wonderful. Many thanks for the recommendation!
I'm relieved you didn't respond with something like "You're out of your damn mind and those two have absolutely nothing in common. Go find yourself some Q-Tips..." :lol: Your tact is noted and appreciated.

Ah, interesting! I didn't know (or simply forgot. Maybe it was during my UKMIX sabbatical?) that you felt so strongly about DNA! All four singles...or even the whole album?

Not gonna lie, I had to Google those lyrics to figure out which Rihanna song they came from :oops: Maybe I've been selling your ultimate-mega-fave short all these years. Any rate, I do agree about "Be Alright" getting a bit overshadowed on DW overall, so it definitely helped that it got that time in the spotlight as a promo single, before having to fight for attention amongst the other DW gems.

You earned it <3 Also, as I was just saying in relation to MMLY above, thanks again for not making me feel completely out-of-touch re: MOTM! Since it sounds like you've always been on the same page as I was with regard to the chorus, I might just leave well enough alone.

I still don't feel quite worthy of being forever associated with a masterpiece like "Butterfly" in your mind. #pinchme

Thanks again, Akini! :D

king_oxymoron wrote:Glad you listened to St Claude it's so lovely!

You do yourself down, you write perfectly great captions - the Timberlake one made me laugh. That and 5H are decent songs - is it considered a flop for them? I think it did it's job here in the UK.. they've had a consistent era (though not sure if the album has benefitted)

I love me some Nick Jonas but have you seen the DNCE Body Moves video? Damnnnnn Joe.

I need to listen more to E-Mo-Tion Side B as I adore the original album and haven't given this one much of a shot. Actually there is loads I need to listen to here, I don't know most of it.
HUGE thanks for pushing that one! It has a VERY good chance of becoming her-ever first No. 1 on my weekly chart.

Aw, cheers <3 I'm still working on striking a more optimal balance between snark and actual substance, though. :lol:

There's no denying that Joe's put in uhLOT of time at the gym, and I massively respect anyone who sticks to and achieves their personal fitness goals...that said, he's always looked a tad plastic to me. Almost like a living wax figure or something, especially in his face. Granted, it doesn't help that this also-famous-brother is one of the absolute fittest men on the entire planet, so Joe might've fared a bit better with me if it weren't for those inevitable comparisons against impossible competition. Well, this way...you can take Joe, I'll take Nick, and everyone wins :D It's 1D all over again!

You do. You absolutely do. I'd love to hear your thoughts once you get a chance to check it out/bask in its glory. I suspect we wouldn't have the same highlights, but hopefully there's at least a track or you two could really appreciate.

Thanks again, Adam! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:00 pm

10.) "CHEAP THRILLS" | Sia ft. Sean Paul
Points = 238
Debut = 05/29/16
Run = 19 – 7 – OUT – 15 – 4 – 10 – 11 – 15 – 17 – *1* – 3 – 11 – 21 – OUT
Despite helping to craft mega-hits for several other acts throughout the 2010's, it wasn't until last year that Sia finally got to enjoy her first taste of international mega-success with top billing to herself. In an especially impressive feat, she became the first woman over 40 to top the Billboard Hot 100 since Madonna did so with "Music" well over a decade prior, and the ensuing celebration of this massive accomplishment allowed Sia to claim her first-ever Paulboard No. 1 as well. Whichever version of "Cheap Thrills" you may know or love the best, it’s clear that most of us were cheering for Sia in 2016.
09.) "KISS IT BETTER" | Rihanna
Points = 243
Debut = 01/31/16
Run = *2* – 3 – 6 – 20 – 7 – 4 – 10 – OUT – 19 – 16 – 14 – 29 – OUT – 12 – OUT – 27 – 26 – OUT – 27 –
[20 – OUT]
Having developed a reputation for rapid-fire album releases ever since her debut in 2005, Rihanna forced fans to endure an unprecedented drought following 2012’s Unapologetic. It wasn’t until 2015 that she finally offered fans some relief with a trickle of new singles, but none of those sips came close to quenching people’s thirst. Finally, in January 2016, the heavens opened and we found ourselves awash in ANTI. Sadly, the album’s second single got washed away amidst this downpour of new material and never achieved even a fraction of the commercial success it so richly deserved. “Kiss It Better” is Rockhanna at her best: an 80's-influenced power ballad that even drew lofty comparisons to the late great Prince, and easily one of my favorite moments on Rihanna’s latest (long-awaited) LP.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:47 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Although I can't remember exactly why right now, I was deciding between "Focus" and DW (the song) over in Jake's thread...and I came to the conclusion that I still prefer "Focus" (at least between those two.) Jamie Foxx's bit in the chorus can be a bit grating, but the video bumps the song up quite a bit. "Focus" definitely had better Paulboard performance too:

"Focus": 2 - *1* - 11 - 23 - OUT - 27 - 8 - OUT
"Dangerous Woman": *3* - OUT - 25 - OUT - 28 - OUT - 13 - 11 - OUT

Of course, plenty of other DW tracks put both of those runs to shame. ;)

That sounds like a VERY solid plan! Dropping something this fall would mean about a year-and-a-half break from her last hit ("Me Too"), which seems just about right. I feel like burnout is the only possible explanation for "Better"s failure, since it SURELY can't be the song itself (or the video.)

I definitely liked some of the singles from his first two albums, and thought he was massively sexy...then he assaulted Rihanna, and was purged from my iTunes Library (though I still might have "No Air", since I bought Jordin's album.) Even if I wanted to look past that particular offense, he's just kept acting like a vile human being ever since (the latest Twitter nonsense with Soulja Boy, where he brags to Karrueche about how all of her friends have sucked his d**k, being just another example.) Any rate - he still has plenty of very dedicated defenders, and I certainly won't hold it against you if you still bop along to his tunes every now and then. Just don't be surprised if I never quote them from your charts. :lol:

Ha, they ABSOLUTELY will! More than one each, in fact. ;)

Poor "Rock Bottom" just can't compete with her masturbation anthem, eh? :cry:

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
Wow, that's a surprising pick, because i think everyone would prefer "Dangerous Woman". Glad it did so well on your charts! And i don't get why many people are saying it was a flop, when it peaked higher than most DW singles in many countries. Definitely an underrated song from her discography.

Well you never know. It already happened a lot that a great track flops even if some worse songs did much better for an artist. Anyway, i'm hoping for the best for her third era. And i also still hope we'll get "Kindly Calm Me Down" as a fourth single... :oops:

Completely understandable. I never really liked him up to that event, so there was nothing to delete for me, but i think i would have done the same. This was one of the most shocking things that happened in the music scene since i'm following that 'scene'. Oh i read that Twitter thing, embarrassing! He'll probably never grow up, but i'm glad he's at least doing some nice music. What did you think about his Ariana Grande collaboration? Only the solo version got released, but the video with Ariana leaked and is even on youtube, and it's amazing. A shame it was never released in the end, i think he could have saved his career that way.

25.) "HIGHER" | Carly Rae Jepsen
24.) "MAKE ME..." | Britney Spears ft. G-Eazy
23.) "VERSACE ON THE FLOOR" | Bruno Mars
22.) "I TOOK A PILL IN IBIZA (SEEB REMIX)" | Mike Posner
21.) "COLORS" | Halsey
LOVE "I Took A Pill In Ibiza", big highlight of the year for me, so glad it's quite high on your list. Wow at Bruno's song being already so high, also glad for him. "Make Me" is just solid for me, "Higher" is cute.

20.) "MAKE ME LIKE YOU" | Gwen Stefani
18.) "SHOUT OUT TO MY EX" | Little Mix
17.) "TRUE DISASTER" | Tove Lo
16.) "BE ALRIGHT" | Ariana Grande
Nice batch! Some great pop tunes.

15.) "WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE" | Charlie Puth ft. Selena Gomez
14.) "PIN" | Grimes
13.) "MAN ON THE MOON" | Britney Spears
12.) "BUTTERFLY" | Grimes
Yay at Grimes' slayage. Not surprised to see that track by Britney being so high too, one of the songs that are still stuck in my head every now and then, which is a good sign. "We Don't Talk Anymore" is definitely my fave in this group though, love Selena, and Charlie's such a cutie!

Nice start for the Top10 as of now. "Kiss It Better" is solid but far from being an outstanding song for me, but i think that's nothing new now. Absolutely love "Cheap Thrills" though, and i'm kinda surprised it's so high on your list. I'm probably a flop right now but didn't you post your charts back then when this was smashing, or do i just forget some things way too fast? :oops:
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:44 pm

Hmm...I'd say "Chandelier" was Sia's first taste of international success as a lead act. Either way, "Cheap Thrills" is a bop, and one that I'm so happy that the general public embraced so warmly.

Ah, love your "Kiss It Better" write-up! I agree with everything. I also love how 'Rihanna' the lyrics are.

phoenix98 wrote:I'm relieved you didn't respond with something like "You're out of your damn mind and those two have absolutely nothing in common. Go find yourself some Q-Tips..." :lol: Your tact is noted and appreciated.
I would only have said that if I felt your comparison was baseless, and even then, would I be so blunt? :lol: Okay, maybe I would be. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, interesting! I didn't know (or simply forgot. Maybe it was during my UKMIX sabbatical?) that you felt so strongly about DNA! All four singles...or even the whole album?
Yeah, I think it was during your UKMix sabbatical. The album was #8 on my 2012 year-end albums countdown. Of course, the first three singles were all spectacular, but the album tracks were all fairly solid too.

phoenix98 wrote:Not gonna lie, I had to Google those lyrics to figure out which Rihanna song they came from :oops: Maybe I've been selling your ultimate-mega-fave short all these years. Any rate, I do agree about "Be Alright" getting a bit overshadowed on DW overall, so it definitely helped that it got that time in the spotlight as a promo single, before having to fight for attention amongst the other DW gems.
:o :o :o

Not sure if you're aware of this, but since I started using Last.fm on January 1, 2012, "Diamonds" is #1 on my most played songs list. At one point, it seemed that "Crystallize" would challenge it, but that one fell about 30 plays short, and is unlikely to pass anytime soon.

phoenix98 wrote:You earned it <3 Also, as I was just saying in relation to MMLY above, thanks again for not making me feel completely out-of-touch re: MOTM! Since it sounds like you've always been on the same page as I was with regard to the chorus, I might just leave well enough alone.
It's always amazing how open to interpretation music is. I know that's the case of any form of art, but with music, it's just even more powerful.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 pm

Tansike wrote:Wow, that's a surprising pick, because i think everyone would prefer "Dangerous Woman". Glad it did so well on your charts! And i don't get why many people are saying it was a flop, when it peaked higher than most DW singles in many countries. Definitely an underrated song from her discography.

Well you never know. It already happened a lot that a great track flops even if some worse songs did much better for an artist. Anyway, i'm hoping for the best for her third era. And i also still hope we'll get "Kindly Calm Me Down" as a fourth single... :oops:

Completely understandable. I never really liked him up to that event, so there was nothing to delete for me, but i think i would have done the same. This was one of the most shocking things that happened in the music scene since i'm following that 'scene'. Oh i read that Twitter thing, embarrassing! He'll probably never grow up, but i'm glad he's at least doing some nice music. What did you think about his Ariana Grande collaboration? Only the solo version got released, but the video with Ariana leaked and is even on youtube, and it's amazing. A shame it was never released in the end, i think he could have saved his career that way.

Nice start for the Top10 as of now. "Kiss It Better" is solid but far from being an outstanding song for me, but i think that's nothing new now. Absolutely love "Cheap Thrills" though, and i'm kinda surprised it's so high on your list. I'm probably a flop right now but didn't you post your charts back then when this was smashing, or do i just forget some things way too fast? :oops:
Looking at them from a "critical"/artistic growth standpoint, I can see why people would go with "Dangerous Woman"...but when it comes to which track I'd actually rather put on repeat, I'm still saying "Focus." Unless I was trying to put myself asleep, maybe ;) Looking at the Hot 100 at least, "Focus" did peak higher than DW or IY, but its overall run was far worse, so I think that's a big part of why people still see it as a "flop":

"Focus": *7* - 13 - 14 - 16 - 17 - 24 - 33 - 35 - 39 - 50 - 53 - 51 - 89 - OUT
"Dangerous Woman": 10 - 13 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 21 - 18 - 16 - 14 - *8* - 11 - 14 - 15 - 15 - 17 - 21 - 24 - 36 - 36 - 48 - OUT
"Into You": 83 - OUT - 51 - 48 - 47 - 50 - 44 - 47 - 41 - 33 - 24 - 23 - 22 - *13* - 13 - 15 - 15 - 15 - 17 - 20 - 23 - 31 - 34 - 41 - 45 - OUT

I remember being SO nervous that IY would never take off, since DW kept lingering inside the Top 20 forever!

Sad, but true. I think it was just especially shocking in Meghan's case since she'd been on such a steady Hot 100 streak with all of her singles (well, besides "Better When I'm Dancin'", but soundtrack singles are often a different story): "All About That Bass" = No. 1, "Lips Are Movin'" = No. 4, "Dear Future Husband" = No. 14, "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" = No. 8, "NO" = No. 3, "Me Too" = No. 13...and then suddenly "Better" failed to even enter the chart :cry: It was just SUCH a sudden and dramatic drop-off from her success up to that point, so that's why I suspect burnout played a role. I'm definitely down to blame people's inability to recognize a good thing sometimes too, though!

Many thanks for seeing it from my side and not just being like "Damn, you're a crazy judgmental prick! We all make mistakes! Get over it already!" ;) Well...I really don't want to support his career at all, even when he's just a featured guest, so I've never checked out that track with Ari. I guess I just haven't deleted "No Air" since it's poor Jordin's only big hit :lol: I haven't listened to it in many years, though.

Ha, nooo worries! Considering you comment on basically every single personal chart every single week, I can't exactly hold it against you for not memorizing the chart run of one of my No. 1's. I only regularly follow a handful of personal charts (if that), and I forget how well/poorly certain songs did all the time... :oops:

JSparksFan wrote:Hmm...I'd say "Chandelier" was Sia's first taste of international success as a lead act. Either way, "Cheap Thrills" is a bop, and one that I'm so happy that the general public embraced so warmly.

Ah, love your "Kiss It Better" write-up! I agree with everything. I also love how 'Rihanna' the lyrics are.

I would only have said that if I felt your comparison was baseless, and even then, would I be so blunt? :lol: Okay, maybe I would be. :oops:

Yeah, I think it was during your UKMix sabbatical. The album was #8 on my 2012 year-end albums countdown. Of course, the first three singles were all spectacular, but the album tracks were all fairly solid too.

:o :o :o

Not sure if you're aware of this, but since I started using Last.fm on January 1, 2012, "Diamonds" is #1 on my most played songs list. At one point, it seemed that "Crystallize" would challenge it, but that one fell about 30 plays short, and is unlikely to pass anytime soon.

It's always amazing how open to interpretation music is. I know that's the case of any form of art, but with music, it's just even more powerful.
Ahem. I did specify "first taste of international mega-success"...and I've just never been THAT into "Chandelier", so I didn't mind sweeping it under the rug a bit to make the achievements of "Cheap Thrills" sound more exceptional/impressive. :lol:

Really, truly pleased that you so thoroughly approve of my write-up for a song that I know we both love 8-) Doing you proud is more important than doing Ri proud, tbh.

Granted, I'm sure your response would've been equal parts hilarious and ruthless, a combo that you do ever-so-well.

Woah! You really DID love that album. Was that a mere mis-count of the singles, or very deliberate "How Ya Doin'?" shade? Even Missy couldn't salvage the track for you??

Oh, I am (hence referring to it as your "ultimate-mega-fave")...so please don't kill me for not knowing it by heart :oops: Your choice to highlight its lyrics here has absolute encouraged me to re-visit it, I swear!

Very well said, sir. As always.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:00 pm

08.) "KILL V. MAIM" | Grimes
Points = 247
Debut = 02/07/16
Run = 16 – *2* – 5 – 6 – 12 – 4 – 5 – 9 – 20 – 23 – OUT – 15 – OUT – 27 – 25 – 18 – OUT

Although it may not be Grimes's highest entry on this list, "Kill V. Maim" is possibly the finest example of her eclectic brilliance, both sonically and visually. Amidst all the beautiful chaos and genre-melding of this high-energy track, Grimes seamlessly tosses us melody-focused pop fans a bone with the cheerleader-esque "B-E-H-A-V-E never more" pre-chorus and the instantly infectious "'cause I'm only a man, do what I can" hook. Perfectly suited to the song itself, the vampire-themed video builds to a frenzied mosh-pit bloodbath for the final chorus.
07.) "CLOSER" | The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey
Points = 250
Debut = 08/07/16
Run = *1* – 1 – 1 – 8 – 21 – 16 – 8 – 5 – 24 – 6 – OUT – 14 – OUT – 17 – OUT –
[25 – SC]
There's certainly something impactful about songs that deeply reflect my own real-life experiences, but I also really love when tracks invoke a myriad of emotions despite the lyrics being void of any personal relevance. I've never been caught in a destructive entanglement with an ex (and I've never known anyone from Boulder), but I still find myself completely swept up in the emotions of this story each time I hear "Closer." It's a four-minute retreat into a world that's far more sexy and dramatic than my day-to-day life - but for that brief moment, it all feels as real as anything. This is partially why it's often such a struggle for me to articulate exactly why I adore the songs that I do: it's much more about how they make feel than about identifying certain components in the structure of each track. Granted, I might be able to find more personal relevance than I'd care to admit in the denial/delusion of a mindset like "we ain't never gettin' older…"
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 am

I'm not a fan of that Grimes song, but something about it must be good, as it's a big favourite around here.

"Closer" has a nice video, but I just don't care that much for it as a song. Still, I'm happy that it does so much for you, and I guess it's my favourite Chainsmokers song now that I think about it.

phoenix98 wrote:Ahem. I did specify "first taste of international mega-success"...and I've just never been THAT into "Chandelier", so I didn't mind sweeping it under the rug a bit to make the achievements of "Cheap Thrills" sound more exceptional/impressive. :lol:
Oh my, I just checked this list of the biggest global hits of 2016, and "Cheap Thrills" is #2! :o I don't follow the charts like I used to - I'm not at all on board with streaming overtaking digital downloads - so I guess I missed just how massive the song was. For me, it wasn't significantly bigger than "Chandelier", but, upon checking the biggest global hits of 2014, I see that "Cheap Thrills amassed almost four million more points. (Granted, I know Mediatraffic isn't a perfect tracking system, but it's pretty darn representative of the reality). So yeah, thanks for enlightening me. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Really, truly pleased that you so thoroughly approve of my write-up for a song that I know we both love 8-) Doing you proud is more important than doing Ri proud, tbh.
Aw! <3

phoenix98 wrote:Granted, I'm sure your response would've been equal parts hilarious and ruthless, a combo that you do ever-so-well.
True! :lol: 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:Woah! You really DID love that album. Was that a mere mis-count of the singles, or very deliberate "How Ya Doin'?" shade? Even Missy couldn't salvage the track for you??
Deliberate "How Ya Doin'?" shade. That one was single #4, which wasn't bad, but I felt like there were stronger options.

phoenix98 wrote:Oh, I am (hence referring to it as your "ultimate-mega-fave")...so please don't kill me for not knowing it by heart :oops: Your choice to highlight its lyrics here has absolute encouraged me to re-visit it, I swear!
Ah, good! 8-)
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cdschart » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:53 am

Really love the top 10 so far -- the exception being Closer which has grown from 'meh' to 'somewhat catchy' for me.

As for some of the other tracks on here, I really love Something In the Way You Move (that video is garbage though I agree) and the string of songs from 21-23 are all great. Ibiza is another classic Mike Posner track, Versace is one of my favorite Bruno songs of all time and Colors is quite possibly the best thing Halsey has ever done. True Disaster is also a highlight but I figured it'd make this list anyway.

There are 1-2 songs in here that will make my year end worst list but I'll be posting that a bit later so I'll leave you to figure that out :lol:

Hoping for Into You to pull a top 5 finish.
cdschart
Personal Assistant

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I'm not a fan of that Grimes song, but something about it must be good, as it's a big favourite around here.

"Closer" has a nice video, but I just don't care that much for it as a song. Still, I'm happy that it does so much for you, and I guess it's my favourite Chainsmokers song now that I think about it.

Oh my, I just checked this list of the biggest global hits of 2016, and "Cheap Thrills" is #2! :o I don't follow the charts like I used to - I'm not at all on board with streaming overtaking digital downloads - so I guess I missed just how massive the song was. For me, it wasn't significantly bigger than "Chandelier", but, upon checking the biggest global hits of 2014, I see that "Cheap Thrills amassed almost four million more points. (Granted, I know Mediatraffic isn't a perfect tracking system, but it's pretty darn representative of the reality). So yeah, thanks for enlightening me. :lol:

Deliberate "How Ya Doin'?" shade. That one was single #4, which wasn't bad, but I felt like there were stronger options.
I'd definitely recommend watching the "Kill V. Maim" video over simply listening to the track, since that really helped it make a big impression on me right off the bat. That said, if people can't stand Britney's vocals on "Private Show", they definitely won't be fans of the "Kill V. Maim" chorus. :lol:

I've seen you express your true feelings toward The Chainsmokers in some other threads, so I appreciate you showing such restraint here ;) Then again, I'd hate for you to feel like you have to muzzle yourself on my behalf. Hmmm...dilemma.

Look at you, fact-checking (or should I say "auditing") my ass :lol: I honestly just took a quick look at the peaks of "Cheap Thrills" VS "Chandelier" on most major charts and went off that , but I'm quite glad to learn that Mediatraffic backs up my claim as well! Thanks for enlightening ME!

Ouch. I'd be tempted to call that one my favorite off their debut (though it's a very close call with the title track.)

cdschart wrote:Really love the top 10 so far -- the exception being Closer which has grown from 'meh' to 'somewhat catchy' for me.

As for some of the other tracks on here, I really love Something In the Way You Move (that video is garbage though I agree) and the string of songs from 21-23 are all great. Ibiza is another classic Mike Posner track, Versace is one of my favorite Bruno songs of all time and Colors is quite possibly the best thing Halsey has ever done. True Disaster is also a highlight but I figured it'd make this list anyway.

There are 1-2 songs in here that will make my year end worst list but I'll be posting that a bit later so I'll leave you to figure that out :lol:

Hoping for Into You to pull a top 5 finish.
Hey Charlie :D Many thanks for checking this out!

Along with Ari's "Into You", it seems like "Something In The Way You Move" and "I Took A Pill..." are among the most universally-acclaimed singles across UKMIX 2016 YECs. I haven't done much digging into Halsey's other material, and the couple of tracks that I did check out besides “Colors” didn't make a great first impression, so I'm glad to hear I'm not missing out on much! ;)

Woah, ONLY 1-2? If there's only 1-2...or even 5-10...I'm pretty proud of that, tbh! :lol:

Thanks again, Charlie! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:00 pm

06.) "FLESH WITHOUT BLOOD" | Grimes
Points = 310
Debut = 02/07/16
Run = 11 – *1* – 3 – 4 – 5 – 1 – 2 – 5 – 21 – OUT – 16 – 7 – 8 – 14 – 26 – OUT

With my hopes dampened by Hor's first Grimes recommendation, "Laughing And Not Being Normal", I didn't expect much as I cued up his second suggestion on that fateful February day; however, the moment this track kicked off with "you claw, you fight, you lose...", I was absolutely enraptured. What little I'd previously known about Grimes included her status as a critically-hailed indie act, so to hear her spouting such melodious dance-pop was an incredible surprise. My fascination was furthered by the juxtaposition of what sounded like a frothy pop tune and a music video filled with peculiar, and at times deeply disturbing, imagery. If I had a way of tracking YouTube views for my weekly chart, "Flesh Without Blood" undoubtedly would've debuted at No. 1 after just one day's worth of playing this clip over and over and over.
05.) "SORRY" | Beyoncé
Points = 318
Debut = 05/01/16
Run = *2* – 2 – 4 – 7 – 5 – 4 – 7 – 3 – 6 – 7 – 20 – 16 – 10 – OUT – 23 – OUT
When faced with your spouse's adultery, you might cope by composing a spiteful song about your plans to even the score, or perhaps use it as one of several core themes on a top-selling and critically-acclaimed album; Beyoncé did both, and so much more. With seemingly endless layers to examine in B's music alone, not to mention her very deliberate aesthetic choices, it was actually the "I ain't thinkin' 'bout you" hook that initially caught my attention and kept me coming back to "Sorry" more than any other song on Lemonade. Although B has long-since-abandoned the concept of traditional album promotion, it was still a treat to learn that my favorite track would serve as this momentous album's first radio-serviced single in the US, and it still baffles me that it never became at least as big as "Drunk In Love."
phoenix98
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:52 am

I clearly need to know more Grimes, as I just don't know much of the top 10 as a result. My favourite is absolutely Kiss It Better, I like the term Rockhanna! Sorry I can't offer much more chat here!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:30 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:I clearly need to know more Grimes, as I just don't know much of the top 10 as a result. My favourite is absolutely Kiss It Better, I like the term Rockhanna! Sorry I can't offer much more chat here!
Ha, no worries! Hopefully both Troye and Grimes make their way onto your 2017 "To Do" List (well, "To Hear" List...though I guess Troye could be on your "To Do" list too, but I digress...)

Glad you approve of "Kiss It Better." Truly the smash that never was (but really should've been!)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby adg » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Nice to see Cheap Thrills and Closer in your Top 10 of the year
adg
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:50 pm

adg wrote:Nice to see Cheap Thrills and Closer in your Top 10 of the year
Hey adg :D Many thanks for checking this out!

"Cheap Thrills" definitely seems to be among the most universally-acclaimed singles of 2016 on UKMIX (granted, people typically specify the version without Sean Paul, but still) ;) "Closer", on the other hand, seems to be pretty polarizing, so I'm really glad we're on the same side with that one!

Thanks again, adg! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:00 pm

04.) "STARVING" | Hailee Steinfeld ft. Grey & Zedd
Points = 337
Debut = 07/31/16
Run = 3 – 2 – 2 – 6 – 18 – 15 – 6 – 16 – 22 – *1* – 1 – 4 – 6 – 17 – OUT – 27 – 13 – OUT

Hailee’s won me over more and more with each successive single: "Love Myself" made it to No. 2 on the weekly Paulboard Top 30, but didn’t linger for very long. "Rock Bottom" became her first No. 1, but didn’t enjoy much longevity either – until she dropped "Starving" last summer and completely enraptured me. Guitar-driven (and surprisingly mellow for something with Zedd’s name attached), "Starving" struck me with HAIZ fever, which allowed "Rock Bottom" to enjoy a pretty strong second wind. I think the official video is somewhat ill-matched to this song’s light, summery sound, with synchronized (shirtless) dance routines better suited to a high-energy banger. I’d certainly be remiss not to highlight some of this tune’s clever lines too: "don’t need no butterflies, when you give me the whole damn zoo…"
03.) "MOONLIGHT" | Ariana Grande
Points = 374
Debut = 05/22/16
Run = *1* – 2 – 3 – 1 – 1 – 5 – 18 – 4 – 9 – 13 – 24 – OUT – 14 – 28 – 24 – 20 – OUT – 23 – 14 – 7 – OUT – 22 – 13 – OUT – [8 – SC]
Ariana has a history of opening her albums in especially elegant ways, dating back to "Honeymoon Avenue" on Yours Truly, and "Moonlight" follows that pattern exquisitely. Unlike "Honeymoon Avenue", however, "Moonlight" really stands out from the rest of the album that follows – and that’s a big part of why I appreciate it so much. Although she’s traded in moments like "Daydreamin’" for the likes of "Side To Side", "Moonlight" serves as a gorgeous reminder of the Ariana that first stole my heart back in 2013. Of course, my adoration for "Moonlight" is about more than just strolling down Ariana Memory Lane. Similar to what I’d said about "Closer", I love getting swept up in this song’s story of romance and passion. Keeping romance alive in the real world can take quite a bit of effort, especially as the years go by, but feeling it emanate from this track is so effortless. Ari moves me each and every time this song reaches its epic climax: "he knows just what it does, when he’s holding me tight, and he calls me ‘moonlight’ too…"
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:34 am

I love your #10, #9 #5 #4 and expecially #7 8-) 8-) 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Tansike » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:20 am

phoenix98 wrote:Looking at them from a "critical"/artistic growth standpoint, I can see why people would go with "Dangerous Woman"...but when it comes to which track I'd actually rather put on repeat, I'm still saying "Focus." Unless I was trying to put myself asleep, maybe ;) Looking at the Hot 100 at least, "Focus" did peak higher than DW or IY, but its overall run was far worse, so I think that's a big part of why people still see it as a "flop":

"Focus": *7* - 13 - 14 - 16 - 17 - 24 - 33 - 35 - 39 - 50 - 53 - 51 - 89 - OUT
"Dangerous Woman": 10 - 13 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 21 - 18 - 16 - 14 - *8* - 11 - 14 - 15 - 15 - 17 - 21 - 24 - 36 - 36 - 48 - OUT
"Into You": 83 - OUT - 51 - 48 - 47 - 50 - 44 - 47 - 41 - 33 - 24 - 23 - 22 - *13* - 13 - 15 - 15 - 15 - 17 - 20 - 23 - 31 - 34 - 41 - 45 - OUT

I remember being SO nervous that IY would never take off, since DW kept lingering inside the Top 20 forever!

Sad, but true. I think it was just especially shocking in Meghan's case since she'd been on such a steady Hot 100 streak with all of her singles (well, besides "Better When I'm Dancin'", but soundtrack singles are often a different story): "All About That Bass" = No. 1, "Lips Are Movin'" = No. 4, "Dear Future Husband" = No. 14, "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" = No. 8, "NO" = No. 3, "Me Too" = No. 13...and then suddenly "Better" failed to even enter the chart :cry: It was just SUCH a sudden and dramatic drop-off from her success up to that point, so that's why I suspect burnout played a role. I'm definitely down to blame people's inability to recognize a good thing sometimes too, though!

Many thanks for seeing it from my side and not just being like "Damn, you're a crazy judgmental prick! We all make mistakes! Get over it already!" ;) Well...I really don't want to support his career at all, even when he's just a featured guest, so I've never checked out that track with Ari. I guess I just haven't deleted "No Air" since it's poor Jordin's only big hit :lol: I haven't listened to it in many years, though.

Ha, nooo worries! Considering you comment on basically every single personal chart every single week, I can't exactly hold it against you for not memorizing the chart run of one of my No. 1's. I only regularly follow a handful of personal charts (if that), and I forget how well/poorly certain songs did all the time... :oops:

Yes, I can see that too. Same for which song I’d put on repeat, plus, what often helps as well, “Focus” came out just on the day I started my vacation back in 2015; I downloaded it in the morning and started my flight later on that day, and these memories helps a lot as well. It’s funny how people think longevity matters when it comes to these chartruns, while it’s usually the peaks which matters for many people out there. “Focus” also scored certifications all around the world, and many artists, even big ones, would kill for that success, and its youtube views are impressive too.
Yeah IY deserved a Top10 spot :cry:

True. It would even be a flop if it would have peaked at #53 or so, but not even in the Hot100 was really shocking. It definitely also didn’t get the support from radios, otherwise it could have been a nice success, as the people would have heard it and I’m sure this would have helped a lot for the song. Of course, airplay always helps, but in this case I think it would have helped even more, just because the song is so good.

Nah why should I think that way? Anyway, I watched a countdown show yesterday evening which was about shocking things in the 2000s and that thing was shown there as well, and I was shocked once again how terrible it actually was. They also showed a part of an interview with Rihanna where she said she lost her best friend, and it all happened in the public which was embarrassing and humiliating for her. It’s quite shocking that they dated each other for a short time again years after that happened…

:oops: thanks :oops:

Wow at Grimes! “Kill V. Maim” remains my favorite song from her by far so I love to see it being so high on your countdown. Really well deserved. It’s sooo good. “Flesh Without Blood” is great as well, a bit more mainstream but that’s not even a negative thing, however it never clicked with me as much as “Kill V. Maim” did.

I don’t think I need to say something about “Closer” as I’m still not that into the song, but I can listen to it without skipping it or switching the radio so there’s that, and there’s worse out there, much worse.

“Starving” grew on me so much, thanks to JakeP, but also to you, as this song smashed on both of your charts and that’s also why I gave it two or three second chances.

“Moonlight” is cute and mellow, the perfect opener for “Dangerous Woman”. While it’s far from being one of my faves on DW (it’s still good though, I hope you don’t get me wrong :oops: ), it’s fantastic to see Ari inside your Year-End Top3 :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Phoenixx wrote:I love your #10, #9 #5 #4 and expecially #7 8-) 8-) 8-)
I can live with a 50% success rate - especially since you especially appreciate "Closer." ;)

Thanks again, Marcus! :D

Tansike wrote:Yes, I can see that too. Same for which song I’d put on repeat, plus, what often helps as well, “Focus” came out just on the day I started my vacation back in 2015; I downloaded it in the morning and started my flight later on that day, and these memories helps a lot as well. It’s funny how people think longevity matters when it comes to these chartruns, while it’s usually the peaks which matters for many people out there. “Focus” also scored certifications all around the world, and many artists, even big ones, would kill for that success, and its youtube views are impressive too.
Yeah IY deserved a Top10 spot :cry:

True. It would even be a flop if it would have peaked at #53 or so, but not even in the Hot100 was really shocking. It definitely also didn’t get the support from radios, otherwise it could have been a nice success, as the people would have heard it and I’m sure this would have helped a lot for the song. Of course, airplay always helps, but in this case I think it would have helped even more, just because the song is so good.

Nah why should I think that way? Anyway, I watched a countdown show yesterday evening which was about shocking things in the 2000s and that thing was shown there as well, and I was shocked once again how terrible it actually was. They also showed a part of an interview with Rihanna where she said she lost her best friend, and it all happened in the public which was embarrassing and humiliating for her. It’s quite shocking that they dated each other for a short time again years after that happened…

:oops: thanks :oops:

Wow at Grimes! “Kill V. Maim” remains my favorite song from her by far so I love to see it being so high on your countdown. Really well deserved. It’s sooo good. “Flesh Without Blood” is great as well, a bit more mainstream but that’s not even a negative thing, however it never clicked with me as much as “Kill V. Maim” did.

I don’t think I need to say something about “Closer” as I’m still not that into the song, but I can listen to it without skipping it or switching the radio so there’s that, and there’s worse out there, much worse.

“Starving” grew on me so much, thanks to JakeP, but also to you, as this song smashed on both of your charts and that’s also why I gave it two or three second chances.

“Moonlight” is cute and mellow, the perfect opener for “Dangerous Woman”. While it’s far from being one of my faves on DW (it’s still good though, I hope you don’t get me wrong :oops: ), it’s fantastic to see Ari inside your Year-End Top3 :D
Ooh...where was this vacation? Was it a sexy/romantic getaway with the bf? Did you focus on him the whole time you were there? ;)

Yeah, peaks are definitely much easier to market/remember: "A Hot 100 No. 1 smash!" "Top 10 in over 20 countries!" etc., but I do think chart runs are important for understanding the bigger picture of a song's overall success. Like all of those Taylor iTunes countdown singles that peaked within the Hot 100 Top 10, and completely fell off the chart within a week or two :lol: For those in particular, peak alone is very misleading, since surely those songs weren't more popular/successful overall than the likes of "Our Song" or "22", which never made the the Top 10. Those promo releases just had one really good week thanks to upcoming-album hype, and were then immediately forgotten by most people. Aside from those extreme examples, though, it's an interesting discussion/debate: peak VS longevity. Is it better to score a No. 20 hit that spends 20 weeks on the chart, or a No. 10 hit that spends 10 weeks? I think you can make a good case for the benefits of both. Of course, I'd love if my faves could always manage both: high peak AND longevity! ;)

Speaking of peaks, you're definitely right about radio! They abruptly stopped supporting her with "Better." Although her Radio Songs peaks weren't always as impressive as her Hot 100 peaks, she'd at least consistently cracked the Top 30, and then "Better" never made that chart at all. :x

Ha, well, people can get pretty defensive pretty quickly when it comes to artists they love - no matter what they've said or done :lol: Although I've been fortunate to never find myself in that situation, I've learned a bit about the cycle of violence, and it can be surprisingly difficult to leave an abusive partner. They apologize, make amends, there's a "honeymoon" reconciliation phase...until the violence starts again. Although Rihanna didn't have to worry about something like losing custody of kids or all of her money, love is so powerful...even when you're in love with someone totally toxic.

You're totally using "mainstream" as shade there, but I can't deny that it's true, and it's a big part of why I was so instantly drawn toward FWB :lol: The video certainly isn't mainstream, though! That aside, I do love how we had KVM in ALMOST the exact same positions on both of our YECs! 8-)

Ha, well, I'm glad that you can at least tolerate "Closer" - many people can't even manage that! :lol:

That's definitely something I thought about putting in my "Starving" write-up: how exciting (and unexpected, especially after "Rock Bottom" totally flopped) it was to watch it blow up on official charts (and UKMIX personal charts) last fall! It may have never reached No. 1 if it weren't for all that awesome Hot 100 and UKMIX hype!

Yeah, and I think the "cuteness" is a part of why Ari's deliberately leaving that sound and image behind more and more with each album. I'm all for her growing up, and I've definitely got nothing against some good sex jams, but I like when there's some romantic moments mixed in there too! ;)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:00 pm

50.) "DON'T WANNA KNOW" | Maroon 5 ft. Kendrick Lamar
49.) "GETTA BANBAN (MAD-PACED GETTER)" | Tomohisa Sako
48.) "딱 좋아 (JUST RIGHT)" | GOT7
47.) "IN MY BLOOD" | The Veronicas
46.) "BETTER" | Meghan Trainor ft. Yo Gotti
45.) "SEND MY LOVE (TO YOUR NEW LOVER)" | Adele
44.) "HAIR" | Little Mix ft. Sean Paul
43.) "ONE DANCE" | Drake ft. Wizkid & Kyla
42.) "WORK FROM HOME" | Fifth Harmony ft. Ty Dolla $ign
41.) "PRIVATE SHOW" | Britney Spears
40.) "LOST BOY" | Troye Sivan
39.) "CRASH" | Usher
38.) "러시안 룰렛 (RUSSIAN ROULETTE)" | Red Velvet
37.) "STILL FALLING FOR YOU" | Ellie Goulding
36.) "BAD THINGS" | Machine Gun Kelly ft. Camila Cabello
35.) "MOTTAI-NIGHTLAND" | Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
34.) "LET ME LOVE YOU" | Ariana Grande ft. Lil Wayne
33.) "CALIFORNIA" | Grimes
32.) "TILTED" | Christine And The Queens
31.) "SOMETHING IN THE WAY YOU MOVE" | Ellie Goulding
30.) "ALL IN MY HEAD (FLEX)" | Fifth Harmony ft. Fetty Wap
29.) "CAN'T STOP THE FEELING!" | Justin Timberlake
28.) "ROCK BOTTOM" | Hailee Steinfeld ft. DNCE
27.) "FEVER" | Carly Rae Jepsen
26.) "DIRECTION" | DANAE
21.) "COLORS" | Halsey
19.) "BUBBLEGUM" | TOTEM ft. Aalias
14.) "PIN" | Grimes
12.) "BUTTERFLY" | Grimes
11.) "다이너마이트 (DYNAMITE)" | VIXX
05.) "SORRY" | Beyoncé
02.)
01.)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby marat2408 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:14 pm

BIG yes for "Closer", nice to see it in top 10. Great song and the video is good too.
P.S. And Little Mix at #1 or #2?
marat2408
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:19 am

I'm delighted to see "Sorry" finish so high! I don't think it's as radio-friendly so it was never going to do as much damage as "Drunk in Love" did, and in addition to that, Beyoncé has purposefully moved away from pushing singles to pushing albums, so I don't see her getting a US Top 10 hit anytime soon...but the song is so powerful, almost deceptively so, in its lyricism.

Ah, I relish songs about romance too! They serve as a placebo for my non-existent/desert-level-barren love life. I love how Ariana makes us wait until the very end for Moonlight's climax, and even then, it isn't this big vocal run showcase, but a subtle, yet completely satisfying, moment.

So it's "Work" vs. "Into You"? It's a rare occasion when I root against RiRi, but I'm pulling for Ari here...though I think "Work" will take it!

phoenix98 wrote:I'd definitely recommend watching the "Kill V. Maim" video over simply listening to the track, since that really helped it make a big impression on me right off the bat. That said, if people can't stand Britney's vocals on "Private Show", they definitely won't be fans of the "Kill V. Maim" chorus. :lol:
I will make it a point to remember to check out the video.

phoenix98 wrote:I've seen you express your true feelings toward The Chainsmokers in some other threads, so I appreciate you showing such restraint here ;) Then again, I'd hate for you to feel like you have to muzzle yourself on my behalf. Hmmm...dilemma.
I know you know how I feel about them as people, so I opted not to bring those very strong feelings here. I know I don't need to mince words with you. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Look at you, fact-checking (or should I say "auditing") my ass :lol: I honestly just took a quick look at the peaks of "Cheap Thrills" VS "Chandelier" on most major charts and went off that , but I'm quite glad to learn that Mediatraffic backs up my claim as well! Thanks for enlightening ME!
Ah, great that we both left this conversation more knowledgeable than we entered it! 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:Ouch. I'd be tempted to call that one my favorite off their debut (though it's a very close call with the title track.)
My sister once borrowed my iPod and randomly discovered "DNA". She fell in love with it pretty instantly. I love it too actually. For me, "Wings" is the best thing they've ever done, but "DNA" is a very, very close second!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Paul :D

Time to bring myself up to speed before the ultimate reveal of the top 2. :D

Great to see Higher here even if wasn't a massive success in my chart, it was the most successful of all the tracks Carly released in 2016.

Referring to your comment, it is amazing to think how many songs over the years have benefitted from a producer speeding up the tempo and adding a dance beat and some quirky synths. Like you say, the SeeB remix really elevated Mike Posner's track so much.

Yay! So happy to see the girls get a top 20 in your countdown. I really do believe that the people responsible for Little Mix's singles since Black magic have been getting everything spot on, so this is no surprise to see the girls in their element and long may it continue. :P

This surely has to be one of those "album tracks that should've been a single" as much as i liked Slumber party, i still think the addition of Tinashe did nothing to help boost the song even with its sparkly music video. :(

Well, i list Closer as it did get to #17 in my chart but overall i feel like The Chainsmokers have been one of the most underwhelming newcomers of 2016. It's an odd one to describe because it's not like their music is tuneless noise, there is a melody there but maybe it's the singer from The Chainsmokers whose voice does nothing for me, but i just seem to struggle getting into their songs. :(

05.) "SORRY" | Beyoncé

Ultimate pop anthem of 2016, i'm just so happy this took off and became the big hit it deserved to be. Granted, it needed that music video to boost the song in the UK. Otherwise had they not made a video i suspect this wouldn't have even gone top 10 in the UK. Small mercies! :lol:

Ohh the intrigue! :P I knew you loved Moonlight but didn't think it would be this high. :D It is a wonderful album opener and even in general i love albums when the artists can pull off the ballads, bops and bangers all effortlessly. Of course the songs have to be fantastic to really me hyped up and overall Dangerous woman delivered on all 3 levels. :D
JakeP
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Haha 'to do' indeed.

Okay, split here. I think Moonlight is like, the weakest thing on Dangerous Woman :oops:

BUT, I adore Starving, and I'm glad you like Hailee so much. I like Rock Bottom, but this and Love Myself are exquisitely crafted pop songs, such tuuuuuuune!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:50 pm

marat2408 wrote:BIG yes for "Closer", nice to see it in top 10. Great song and the video is good too.
P.S. And Little Mix at #1 or #2?
"Closer" seems to be surprisingly divisive around UKMIX, especially given its massive global appeal, so I'm glad we're on the same page! Andrew makes that video quite good. Quite. good. indeed. 8-)

I've been really loving "Touch" over the past month or so, and their entire new album is pretty enjoyable overall, but (sadly) it just wasn't able to rack up enough points in time to make the list, so we won't be seeing Little Mix again here.

Thanks again, marat! :D

JSparksFan wrote:I'm delighted to see "Sorry" finish so high! I don't think it's as radio-friendly so it was never going to do as much damage as "Drunk in Love" did, and in addition to that, Beyoncé has purposefully moved away from pushing singles to pushing albums, so I don't see her getting a US Top 10 hit anytime soon...but the song is so powerful, almost deceptively so, in its lyricism.

Ah, I relish songs about romance too! They serve as a placebo for my non-existent/desert-level-barren love life. I love how Ariana makes us wait until the very end for Moonlight's climax, and even then, it isn't this big vocal run showcase, but a subtle, yet completely satisfying, moment.

So it's "Work" vs. "Into You"? It's a rare occasion when I root against RiRi, but I'm pulling for Ari here...though I think "Work" will take it!

I know you know how I feel about them as people, so I opted not to bring those very strong feelings here. I know I don't need to mince words with you. :wink:

Ah, great that we both left this conversation more knowledgeable than we entered it! 8-)

My sister once borrowed my iPod and randomly discovered "DNA". She fell in love with it pretty instantly. I love it too actually. For me, "Wings" is the best thing they've ever done, but "DNA" is a very, very close second!
Admittedly, I'm not the best at staying on top of what radio's been spinning, but "Sorry" always stuck me as pretty accessible, especially compared to most of Lemonade. Based on its performance, I clearly over-estimated its mass appeal, but radio's been (inexplicably) very hesitant to support her in general since...IASF? Pop radio, anyway.

When Ari teased us with snippets of that part (over a year ago now), I NEVER would've guessed it was confined to the final 30 seconds of the song! I was a tad disappointed by that at first, since those snippets had me SO thirsty for the complete song, but it didn't take long to appreciate the brilliance of the full track's structure. The actual chorus is plenty divine in itself.

Look at you: seein' right through me like I'm bathin' in Windex ;) and I can't even manage to keep track of the lyrics to one of your favorite songs ever. :cry:

Message received.

Enriching each others' lives left and right. <3

Ah, so they peaked VERY early for you, eh? After our "How Ya Doin'?" disparity, I've especially glad to see that you're on board with "DNA."

JakeP wrote:Hi Paul :D

Great to see Higher here even if wasn't a massive success in my chart, it was the most successful of all the tracks Carly released in 2016.

Referring to your comment, it is amazing to think how many songs over the years have benefitted from a producer speeding up the tempo and adding a dance beat and some quirky synths. Like you say, the SeeB remix really elevated Mike Posner's track so much.

Yay! So happy to see the girls get a top 20 in your countdown. I really do believe that the people responsible for Little Mix's singles since Black magic have been getting everything spot on, so this is no surprise to see the girls in their element and long may it continue. :P

Well, i list Closer as it did get to #17 in my chart but overall i feel like The Chainsmokers have been one of the most underwhelming newcomers of 2016. It's an odd one to describe because it's not like their music is tuneless noise, there is a melody there but maybe it's the singer from The Chainsmokers whose voice does nothing for me, but i just seem to struggle getting into their songs. :(

Ultimate pop anthem of 2016, i'm just so happy this took off and became the big hit it deserved to be. Granted, it needed that music video to boost the song in the UK. Otherwise had they not made a video i suspect this wouldn't have even gone top 10 in the UK. Small mercies! :lol:

Ohh the intrigue! :P I knew you loved Moonlight but didn't think it would be this high. :D It is a wonderful album opener and even in general i love albums when the artists can pull off the ballads, bops and bangers all effortlessly. Of course the songs have to be fantastic to really me hyped up and overall Dangerous woman delivered on all 3 levels. :D
Hey Jake! :D

I'm definitely plenty happy to hear that, since it doesn't seem to get mentioned often as one of people's favorites from Side B.

Agreed - and it was mutually beneficial, since I'd certainly never heard of SeeB before! :lol:

**Nod** They really are on a sizzlin' hot streak right now, and I hope the temperature doesn't drop anytime soon!

I feel you there - as I've been checking out and commenting on various YECs, I've found myself struggling to understand and articulate why certain songs never really clicked with me. Like you said, it's not like they're so painful that I want to turn them off immediately, but I don't have any desire to revisit them either. It's a skill that Adam and Akini seem to have really nailed down - very clearly outlining exactly why they do or don't like each song - but I'm still a work in progress on that front. :lol:

Ah, for sure - no argument there! The video that we got is certainly better than none at all, and Hailee does a ton of adorable expressions throughout.

Ari's a triple threat like that. 8-)

Thanks again, Jake! :D

king_oxymoron wrote:Haha 'to do' indeed.

Okay, split here. I think Moonlight is like, the weakest thing on Dangerous Woman :oops:

BUT, I adore Starving, and I'm glad you like Hailee so much. I like Rock Bottom, but this and Love Myself are exquisitely crafted pop songs, such tuuuuuuune!
:wink:

**Sigh** I'd seen you express these thoughts on "Moonlight" in other countdowns, so I'd braced myself for this reaction...but I still don't understand the "why." I was wondering if it's just too slow, since you certainly love your bangers - but you ranked the title track the highest, which is just as slow, so it isn't simply a matter of tempo. It might just be too juvenile/sappy/romantic for your tastes - but I still can't imagine how anyone (who enjoys Ari in general) could not be moved, even in the slightest, by that climax! Surely there's a heart in you somewhere...or are you strictly a drinking-and-dancing club-ready machine? :cry:

That tragic disagreement aside, I absolutely appreciate your enthusiasm for "Starving" <3 Maybe I'm finally starting to see the pattern here: upbeat masturbation anthem = a-OK, sappy love song (though I suppose "Rock Bottom" is a bit darker and more complex than that) = meh, upbeat flirty/frisky love song = a-OK! So you might be a drinking, dancing...and snogging machine (which sounds pretty delightful, tbh, so I guess I shouldn't complain.) ;)

phoenix98
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts