Paulboard Top 50 of 2016 | **No. 2 + No. 1**

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:10 pm

We all have that confused little boy within us. :wink: "Lost Boy" is one of my favourite Troye Sivan songs, though you know there are two that I consider a few notches above it.

"Crash" has grown on me! I really like it now. Having listened to the album in full (finally!), I can safely say it's one of the LP's highlights.

"Bad Things" was brilliant to me on the first listen...then I played it a second time. :lol: It's grown off of me a bit, but it's still decent.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 pm

LOVE the Troye Sivan track!
bluecherry
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:39 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Hey Jake :D Many thanks for stopping by!

Ha, yeah, it's been tough finding anybody else who's even remotely enthusiastic about that song, so I'll GLADLY take some compliments for the video, at least! :lol:

You've got me there :oops: so I definitely appreciate the tip! I'd been having pretty good luck between YouTube and Dailymotion, but apparently Drake's and Britney's teams are actually really on top of it when comes to yanking down unofficial uploads. Damn their efficiency! Any rate, I figure a lot of those viewers were probably like me - just kept clicking around in (vain) hope of finding the official version somewhere. I could be wrong, but I think it counts as a view as soon as you open/start the video? Or maybe you do actually have to sit through to a certain % of it first? That latter approach would make much more sense, of course, instead of rewarding vids with clickbait titles (and BS audio.) :x

Well...I can promise you that we'll be seeing 5H at least once more. ;)

Thanks again, Jake! :D
Aww i'm sure there must be at least one other person who enjoys Don't wanna know. I just hope the success of this song doesn't inspire Adam Levine to release more lazy songs that only become popular because of the music video. I would love to see Maroon 5 do another great track like Moves like Jagger.

Ahh ok, glad i was able to give you that tip. Although even Vimeo might not be 100% helpful all the time. I think Prince's team is the quickest at getting anything taken down almost instantly, as if their responsible for approving all uploads and its an instant block. :lol: Maybe you're right about the clickbait thing, although that must surely mean every video on YouTube has a false viewcount. I wonder if videos like Gangnam style really have been watched over 2 billion times in its entirety (they probably have but still :P ).

"give it to me i'm worth it" :wink:

...and now lets check out the next batch of songs. :D

phoenix98 wrote:40.) "LOST BOY" | Troye Sivan

39.) "CRASH" | Usher

37.) "STILL FALLING FOR YOU" | Ellie Goulding

36.) "BAD THINGS" | Machine Gun Kelly ft. Camila Cabello
I never did check out Lost boy upon its release and the first time i did hear this was when someone entered it into the FSC in the games forum and i just happened to be taking part that month. It is a pleasant song but i still think TALK ME DOWN is Troye's best single to date.

I'm so happy to see Bad things making an appearance here. I recently got round to checking the song out and i liked it a lot, and it keeps growing on me. It entered my chart last week in fact at #14 and is going to be one to watch in 2017. Its already looking set to climb into the top 10 in my first chart of 2017. :D As for the Camila comment, she had already enjoyed some success with Shawn Mendes. Granted it wasn't exactly a #1 all over the world but i would've thought this was the early signs of Camila Cabello embarking on a solo career moreso than Bad things even though this track is looking set to be much more successful overall.
JakeP
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 am

Okay so this ten is packed with songs I do like, sadly we're not yet up to those that I LOVE yet :lol:

Send My Love is decent, I feel Adele had a cracking era (again) but that her gems are still hidden on 25, rather than being the big hit singles.

Hair.. mmm, it's okay. It's definitely among LM's very weakest singles for me. Can't BELIEVE you skipped the Salute era, that album is so their best!

Drake.. good to see Find Your Love get a mention. That, Headlines, Take Care, for me his best singles. This again - good but he's done better. Usher falls under the same category, I feel like he did this song already better with 'Climax'. It's not bad though!

Work From Home however IS one of the girls best songs, and one of the best of the year. Bop. Camila's one... hmmm.

Ellie is my other favourite here, I like too that it's not as obvious as LMLYD, even if it doesn't have quite the same effect, it's cute!

Charts keep throwing up different Troye songs I need to check out, I'll listen.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:32 am

phoenix98 wrote:Although it hurts my heart that "Greedy" has worn off you, I'd love to hear what your DW Top 5 looks like as of right now (including all tracks, single or not.) Though maybe I should hold off until you have a chance to do that re-listen you mentioned...

"Better" :x :x :x I mean...speechless. Coming off two Top 20 hits from Thank You, four Top 20 hits from Title...suddenly, she can't even crack the Hot 100?!?! I know that "Me Too" did pretty poorly abroad, but "Better" should've been the single that got her back on track in those territories, not dig her into an even deeper hole! It really seemed like the choice that could not only please fans, but finally win over people who had previously found her consistently annoying. #icant
Oh yeah I definitely need to give the album a re-listen at first. But “Side To Side” and “Into You” are definitely there. Can I add “Focus” as well? It may sound weird, but while this wasn’t the best track from her when it was released, its chorus kept on being stuck in my head until now.

Completely agree with “Better”. While this should have been the track that makes her even bigger, it’s most likely the song that may have destroyed her career :cry: Ok, ‘destroy’ is a hard word, but I hope this was just a one-time-thingy and the next song will be a hit again.

40.) "LOST BOY" | Troye Sivan
39.) "CRASH" | Usher
38.) "러시안 룰렛 (RUSSIAN ROULETTE)" | Red Velvet
37.) "STILL FALLING FOR YOU" | Ellie Goulding
Not quoting “Bad Things” now as it never did something for me, plus I got even more over it. I guess the fact that Camila is very unsympathetic for me makes me disliking the song even more, sorry :oops:
The others are quite good though. Troye still seems a bit underrated, he’s probably the male (and better) Lorde. Will be interesting to see his next project. Usher’s track was quite good when I checked it out months ago. Also liked Red Velvet’s track when I checked it out due to its appearance on your weekly charts, however (as I wrote in your weekly chart topic earlier today) it’s nothing I’d download.

So “Still Falling For You” is easily my fave in this group. Great track, especially the second half when it blows up :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:We all have that confused little boy within us. :wink: "Lost Boy" is one of my favourite Troye Sivan songs, though you know there are two that I consider a few notches above it.

"Crash" has grown on me! I really like it now. Having listened to the album in full (finally!), I can safely say it's one of the LP's highlights.

"Bad Things" was brilliant to me on the first listen...then I played it a second time. :lol: It's grown off of me a bit, but it's still decent.
Aw, many thanks for the empathy, Akini <3 And you know those two wouldn't be TOO far behind for me, but I think "Lost Boy" just does a slightly better job of offering that optimal combo of personal relevance + catchiness for me.

Huzzah! Admittedly, I haven't actually checked out anything else from his latest release :oops: "I Don't Mind" and "Crash" are the only tracks of his that I've downloaded since the Looking 4 Myself era. I'd be tempted to call "Crash" my favorite of all his output from the 2010's, but I do have a soft spot for "OMG" <3 "honey got some boobies like wow-oh-wow..."

Yeah, it seems to have gotten a pretty lukewarm reception on UKMIX from the start, and Camila's recent revelations only made that worse :( There's no doubt that she could've handled her departure from 5H better, but I definitely don't think her actions are reprehensible enough to punish this track as a result, and her hook really does sell it for me.

Thanks again, Akini! :D

bluecherry wrote:LOVE the Troye Sivan track!
Preach it, blue 8-) Many thanks!

JakeP wrote:Aww i'm sure there must be at least one other person who enjoys Don't wanna know. I just hope the success of this song doesn't inspire Adam Levine to release more lazy songs that only become popular because of the music video. I would love to see Maroon 5 do another great track like Moves like Jagger.

Ahh ok, glad i was able to give you that tip. Although even Vimeo might not be 100% helpful all the time. I think Prince's team is the quickest at getting anything taken down almost instantly, as if their responsible for approving all uploads and its an instant block. :lol: Maybe you're right about the clickbait thing, although that must surely mean every video on YouTube has a false viewcount. I wonder if videos like Gangnam style really have been watched over 2 billion times in its entirety (they probably have but still :P ).

"give it to me i'm worth it" :wink:

I never did check out Lost boy upon its release and the first time i did hear this was when someone entered it into the FSC in the games forum and i just happened to be taking part that month. It is a pleasant song but i still think TALK ME DOWN is Troye's best single to date.

I'm so happy to see Bad things making an appearance here. I recently got round to checking the song out and i liked it a lot, and it keeps growing on me. It entered my chart last week in fact at #14 and is going to be one to watch in 2017. Its already looking set to climb into the top 10 in my first chart of 2017. :D As for the Camila comment, she had already enjoyed some success with Shawn Mendes. Granted it wasn't exactly a #1 all over the world but i would've thought this was the early signs of Camila Cabello embarking on a solo career moreso than Bad things even though this track is looking set to be much more successful overall.
Ha, for sure. UKMIX just hasn't exactly been the biggest M5-fan-zone in general in recent years :lol: It's funny you mention that, 'cause I'm definitely charmed by the video too, but its actually owes most of its success (at least here in the US) to radio/airplay: No. 1 peak on radio, No. 2 on sales, but only No. 16 on streaming :oops: Clearly they should've just pulled a "One Dance" on Spotify... ;)

Ah, I think you're totally right about that! I definitely remember reading something (on Billboard, probably?) about how Prince assembled the ultimate aggressive legal team to deal with those issues (and I think he wasn't the biggest fan of streaming himself either?) Ha, well, I can say for certain that at least a few of those 2 billion were from me watching it in full. :oops:

"I see JakeP in the spotlight, oooh I love his style..." 8-)

"Talk Me Down" is a gem, no doubt! His album has quite a few highlights, but "Lost Boy" just stands a bit further ahead of the rest for me.

YES! FINALLY someone else on UKMIX showing it some love :lol: Not gonna lie, I was lurking that song's thread a short while back and was VERY pleased to see you dropping some praise for it. Also - I'm TOTALLY down with blaming Shawn for Camila's departure so that people have one less reason to hate on "Bad Things." ;)

king_oxymoron wrote:Okay so this ten is packed with songs I do like, sadly we're not yet up to those that I LOVE yet :lol:

Send My Love is decent, I feel Adele had a cracking era (again) but that her gems are still hidden on 25, rather than being the big hit singles.

Hair.. mmm, it's okay. It's definitely among LM's very weakest singles for me. Can't BELIEVE you skipped the Salute era, that album is so their best!

Drake.. good to see Find Your Love get a mention. That, Headlines, Take Care, for me his best singles. This again - good but he's done better. Usher falls under the same category, I feel like he did this song already better with 'Climax'. It's not bad though!

Work From Home however IS one of the girls best songs, and one of the best of the year. Bop. Camila's one... hmmm.

Charts keep throwing up different Troye songs I need to check out, I'll listen.
Ha, hold the phone - "Work From Home" made your No. 15, but still doesn't qualify as a track that you LOVE? If that's the case, the rest of this countdown is gonna be a bumpy ride :oops: but I truly appreciate you hanging in there regardless!

Did Akini pay you to say that? I've definitely considered checking out 25 in full...but after being pretty underwhelmed by what 21 offered beyond its singles, I'm a little reluctant.

Ha, yeah, it was too funny/heartbreaking reading through your polar-opposite assessment of Little Mix over in your countdown :lol: :cry: Admittedly, they really started to lose me with "Change Your Life", reeled me back a little with "How Ya Doin?", but underwhelemd me with DNA overall, so when "Move" didn't do much for me on first listen, I didn't have much incentive to be patient with it. Basically, I'm a perfect example of why they went with something like "Black Magic" for LP3, so try not to hate me TOO much. Surely they can strike a balance that satisfies us both? We seem to agree on "Touch" - it just came a tad too late in the year to crack my list (the downside of a points system, but I would never be able to commit/be satisfied if I tried compiling mine strictly subjectively) - but it could land on 2017's!

Ah, that "Climax" comparison makes perfect sense! I honestly hadn't connected those dots before! :oops:

Poor "Bad Things" can NOT catch a break around here :lol: Admittedly, "am I outta my head, am I outta my mind, if you only knew the bad things I like, don't think that I can explain it, why can I say, it's complicated..." isn't exactly next-level-poetic-brilliance, nor deeply introspective, but it's definitely accessible, and that melody >>>>

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Troye once you check him out! I think he delivers the lyrical substance that you value (and he's collaborated with your girl Alessia)...but I don't want to speak too soon and set you up for disappointment. :lol:

Thanks again, Adam! :D

Tansike wrote:Oh yeah I definitely need to give the album a re-listen at first. But “Side To Side” and “Into You” are definitely there. Can I add “Focus” as well? It may sound weird, but while this wasn’t the best track from her when it was released, its chorus kept on being stuck in my head until now.

Completely agree with “Better”. While this should have been the track that makes her even bigger, it’s most likely the song that may have destroyed her career :cry: Ok, ‘destroy’ is a hard word, but I hope this was just a one-time-thingy and the next song will be a hit again.

Not quoting “Bad Things” now as it never did something for me, plus I got even more over it. I guess the fact that Camila is very unsympathetic for me makes me disliking the song even more, sorry :oops:

The others are quite good though. Troye still seems a bit underrated, he’s probably the male (and better) Lorde. Will be interesting to see his next project. Usher’s track was quite good when I checked it out months ago. Also liked Red Velvet’s track when I checked it out due to its appearance on your weekly charts, however (as I wrote in your weekly chart topic earlier today) it’s nothing I’d download.

So “Still Falling For You” is easily my fave in this group. Great track, especially the second half when it blows up :)
Hmmm...Ari says "no." She banished that track to Japan for a reason, so don't try dragging it onto the album anywhere else. ;)

EXACTLY :x :x :x I do think she can recover, though, and disappearing for a little while might actually work in her favor, since the Title and Thank You eras happened pretty much back-to-back (I'm pretty sure "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" was still on the Hot 100 when "NO" debuted.)

I mean...I hear you. There's no doubt that Camila could've handled her exit from 5H way better than she did...but if I held every selfish/distasteful choice against my faves, I'd have almost no one left to listen to :lol: Mariah's a mega-diva, Tay's a succubus, Ari's a brat, Madonna's an egomaniac, B kicked those original DC girls to the curb with zero remorse...maybe Kylie? Any rate, I'll only turn my back on a song/artist I love if they've done something TRULY reprehensible (**cough** Chris Brown **cough**) , and Camila craving that solo stardom just isn't unforgivable enough.

Woah! I've never heard that Lorde comparison before, but it makes PERFECT sense! Well done.

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:00 pm

35.) "MOTTAI-NIGHTLAND" | Kyary Pamyu Pamyu
Points = 156
Debut = 06/05/16
Run = 6 – *4* – 6 – 14 – 17 – 9 – 5 – OUT

Like "러시안 룰렛 (Russian Roulette)", and most of the K-Pop and J-Pop songs I get hooked on these days, "Mottai-Nightland" came to my attention thanks to the iTunes Store, which was showcasing Kyary's 2016 greatest hits collection: KPP Best. This particular track was actually released back in 2014, making it the oldest song on this list (though only technically, since I'd never heard of it, or her, until last year.) Arists around the globe could really take a few pointers from the videos of J-Pop and K-Pop acts, and this random, ridiculous clip (which includes a scene of Kyary dressed in a dog costume and dropping a strawberry turd) is a shining example.
34.) "LET ME LOVE YOU" | Ariana Grande ft. Lil Wayne
Points = 158
Debut = 04/24/16
Run = 9 – 7 – OUT – 10 – OUT – 6 – *4* – 13 – 27 – 30 – OUT – 15 –
[13 – SC]
Here we have another Dangerous Woman track that I would've rather seen become the fourth single than "Everyday." Sure, it sort of already had its chance as pre-release-promo-single, but a proper push might've helped this sultry song realize its full potential. The "layin' on your chest, good conversation got me holdin' my breath..." paints such a clear, intimate visual that I'd love to find myself in. I've seen comparisons made to "Best Mistake", which I can definitely understand, but it's always given me "Love Me Harder" flashbacks.
33.) "CALIFORNIA" | Grimes
Points = 160
Debut = 02/21/16
Run = 7 – *5* – 11 – 27 – OUT – 8 – 8 – 22 – OUT – 21 – OUT – 10 – OUT

If I had to elect a Paulboard Artist of the Year for 2016, it would absolutely be Grimes. While it's true that Art Angels came out back in November 2015, I'd never paid any attention to Grimes until dear UKMIX friend Horacio strongly encouraged me to explore some of her material. If memory serves, he had me listen to "Laughing And Not Being Normal" first, which didn't set my hopes very high...but as soon as the "Flesh Without Blood" video started, I was completely entranced. Grimes proves that pop can be just as captivating without resorting to the usual clichés and formulas (Max Martin who?) - and she does it all (the writing, the producing, the artwork) entirely on her own. A true artist in every sense of the word. Although "California" does have an official video, the clip uses a new mix that inexplicably omits the handclaps from the entire first verse - a critical component of the song's charm; as a result, I've linked to the original album version instead.
32.) "TILTED" | Christine And The Queens
Points = 160
Debut = 09/04/16
Run = *2* – 2 – 5 – 12 – 11 – OUT – 29 – 4 – 23 –
[21 – SC]
Shout-out to Jack, who sadly hasn't posted anything in this section in quite a while, for bringing this tune to my attention. Although "Tilted" became a minor hit in the UK last year, Christine has yet to make any waves here in the US, so it's highly unlikely I would've ever heard this song if Jack hadn't sent it to No. 1 on his weekly chart. Much like Grimes, Christine doesn't rely on big budgets and product placement to deliver a fascinating music video - instead showcasing her own artistic vision and abilities.
31.) "SOMETHING IN THE WAY YOU MOVE" | Ellie Goulding
Points = 164
Debut = 11/15/15
Run =
[*3* – 5 – 14 – OUT – 8 – OUT – 22] 3 – 15 – 4 – 8 – 26 – OUT – 24 – 9 – OUT – 7 – 19 – OUT
The ultimate struggle: doing this write-up without completely regurgitating what everyone else has already (accurately and eloquently) said about the disastrous Delirium era. What should've been Ellie's 1989 somehow turned into her Glitter (and without an emotional breakdown to blame.) Although Ellie's been pretty poppy all the way back to "Starry Eyed", "Something In The Way You Move" shows just how well she's suited to even shamelessly-straightforward-Max-Martin-esque pop (though he surprisingly didn't have a hand in crafting this particular tune.) Also, if you're going to serve us a half-assed tour footage video for what should've been the standout smash of the era, at least include more clips of her actually dancing (especially when the song has "move" right in its title.) If I have to see one more shot of her damn drummer...
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:09 pm

"Let Me Love You" is a bop, truly one of Ariana's coolest tracks! 8-) It's actually my most played Ariana song as well.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 am

Haha is Ellie's drummer not doing it for you? :lol:

I do love Work From Home, I promise, I was just talking generally!

Big fan of Let Me Love You but I really don't see the leap to Love Me Harder, that is a real full bodied instrumental pop track and Let Me Love You is kinda the opposite to me! Both great tracks though.

Ellie.. we've discussed. Amazing but wasted. I like the 1989 comparison, not sure it's gone as badly as Glitter though, I read it was the most streamed female album on Spotify!

Titled is ace, Christine is a real unique artist. St Claude is my favourite from her.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:00 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Let Me Love You" is a bop, truly one of Ariana's coolest tracks! 8-) It's actually my most played Ariana song as well.
Woah :o As in most played from DW...or her entire catalog? Not that I mind, but I'm definitely surprised - certainly would've guessed "Honeymoon Avenue" or "Best Mistake" first. "The Way" still holds that honor for me, but "Into You", "Moonlight", and "Honeymoon Avenue" are all fairly close behind.

king_oxymoron wrote:Haha is Ellie's drummer not doing it for you? :lol:

I do love Work From Home, I promise, I was just talking generally!

Big fan of Let Me Love You but I really don't see the leap to Love Me Harder, that is a real full bodied instrumental pop track and Let Me Love You is kinda the opposite to me! Both great tracks though.

Ellie.. we've discussed. Amazing but wasted. I like the 1989 comparison, not sure it's gone as badly as Glitter though, I read it was the most streamed female album on Spotify!

Titled is ace, Christine is a real unique artist. St Claude is my favourite from her.
:x I swear...I'm just trying to find a cute shot of her dancing to use for my banner here, and they cut to him (just sitting there and drumming, as drummers tend to do) at least half a dozen times throughout the video. It's like her team was determined to flip us the bird in as many ways as possible throughout that entire campaign (including changing the SITWYM cover art from that adorable shot of her smiling...)

I really need to become your student/apprentice...or just pay you to do my 2017 write-ups. Here I am all "well, they're both mid-tempo sex jams featuring a male artist", until you swoop in with your laser-vision (laser-hearing?) ability to clearly and completely separate the two. I do get how LMH builds into a much bigger chorus than LMLY, though.

Ha, I was definitely exaggerating/amusing myself with the Glitter comparison (Mariah's been on the brain lately, for better or...well...no, just for worse.) I was actually struggling to come up with a more apt comparison, so I went with a very-loosely-related-but-mostly-ridiculous one instead. Any rate - that streaming factoid provides some consolation, at least!

Although I don't see it eclipsing "Titled" for me, I'm definitely sold on the "Saint Claude" chorus on first listen :o Cheers for the recommendation!

Thanks again, Adam! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm

30.) "ALL IN MY HEAD (FLEX)" | Fifth Harmony ft. Fetty Wap
Points = 166
Debut = 07/03/16
Run = *1* – 1 – 3 – 18 – 4 – 8 – 19 – 28 – OUT
Fifth Harmony's "All In My Head (Flex)", featuring Jake's future husband, actually made a terrible first impression and struck me as an utterly undeserving follow-up to "Work From Home." While the public seems to have shared my initial reaction, based on the track's underwhelming official chart performance, something about it soon clicked with me and I started to seriously appreciate this reggae-pop bop. Granted, it's hard to not be impressed by a good flex. My initial hesitation may have something do with the fact that the verses and pre-chorus outshine the chorus on this one: "curtains like waves closing in all around us..."
29.) "CAN'T STOP THE FEELING!" | Justin Timberlake
Points = 168
Debut = 05/15/16
Run = *3* – 9 – 10 – 10 – 9 – OUT – 5 – 9 – 25 – OUT

After chasing critics and exploring his artistic angles with the 20/20 Experience eras, JT triumphantly returned to his straightforward pop roots with "Can't Stop The Feeling!" - an uplifting tune perfectly suited to the kid-friendly film in which it features, much like Pharrell's mega-hit "Happy." While it may have been crafted with minors in mind, it definitely has the power to bring listeners of all ages to their feet. Thankfully, Max Martin was around to remind Justin how to edit a song, since CSTF clocks in under four minutes (unlike literally every track across both 20/20 Experience albums - because nothing asserts your genius quite like bloated intros and outros.)
28.) "ROCK BOTTOM" | Hailee Steinfeld ft. DNCE
Points = 168
Debut = 04/10/16
Run = *1* – 4 – 14 – OUT – 10 – 20 – OUT – 19 – 13 – 21 – 16 – 24 – OUT

Unexpectedly, that girl who just seemed like an awkward and off-putting new addition to Pitch Perfect 2 managed to deliver some of 2016's finest pop moments. Although I did appreciate her self-love anthem in 2015, it wasn't until she dropped the single version of "Rock Bottom" last year that she really caught my eyes and ears. You know girl's done good when she's able to help Joe Jonas land higher on a Paulboard Year-End Countdown than (his infinitely fitter brother) Nick has ever managed.
27.) "FEVER" | Carly Rae Jepsen
Points = 171
Debut = 08/28/16
Run = 5 – 3 – *1* – 2 – 4 – 20 – 11 – OUT

Although this is deeply embarrassing to admit as a self-proclaimed CRJ fan, I was completely unaware of E•MO•TION REMIXED +, so "First Time" and this gem were brand-new to me when she gifted us with E•MO•TION: Side B last summer. Despite flying mostly under-the-radar ever since storming the world with the pop perfection of "Call Me Maybe" back in 2012, Carly continues to craft some of the finest pop on the planet. Though I'm still not sure if she's referring to a bicycle or a motorcycle...
26.) "DIRECTION" | DANAE
Points = 173
Debut = 07/10/16
Run = 10 – *1* – 1 – 2 – 6 – 8 – 16 – OUT

Here we have another random iTunes Store discovery - but this time it's entirely in English! I'm often a sucker for self-empowerment anthems from female popstars ("Brave", "Firework", "People Like Us", "Raise Your Glass", "We R Who We R", "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)", "Who Says", etc.), and although DANAE is nowhere near those ladies' level of recognition, she serves up an example worthy of standing alongside their smashes.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:39 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Hmmm...Ari says "no." She banished that track to Japan for a reason, so don't try dragging it onto the album anywhere else. ;)

EXACTLY :x :x :x I do think she can recover, though, and disappearing for a little while might actually work in her favor, since the Title and Thank You eras happened pretty much back-to-back (I'm pretty sure "Like I'm Gonna Lose You" was still on the Hot 100 when "NO" debuted.)

I mean...I hear you. There's no doubt that Camila could've handled her exit from 5H way better than she did...but if I held every selfish/distasteful choice against my faves, I'd have almost no one left to listen to :lol: Mariah's a mega-diva, Tay's a succubus, Ari's a brat, Madonna's an egomaniac, B kicked those original DC girls to the curb with zero remorse...maybe Kylie? Any rate, I'll only turn my back on a song/artist I love if they've done something TRULY reprehensible (**cough** Chris Brown **cough**) , and Camila craving that solo stardom just isn't unforgivable enough.
But Japan is one (if not THE) strongest market for her, so I’m not sure if this is a bad thing or not :P
I guess this means you’re not the biggest fan of “Focus”?

Yes, “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” was still charting. I’m not sure if a break would be the best thing, as she’s basically away from the charts for several months now. I think we already can get new music later this year, and I wouldn’t even mind that. Maybe lead track in autumn 2017 and album in early 2018, similar to “Title”?

It’s not just the exit from Fifth Harmony. I never really liked her, and I don’t see why some people think she could get a solo career. I don’t mind Madonna, Ariana or Tay’s stuff to be honest :oops: But yeah Kylie is probably one of the nicest girls in the business :o Wait, so Chris is banished from your charts? I also used to dislike him a lot, even before that happened, but his last three albums were surprisingly solid :oops:

34.) "LET ME LOVE YOU" | Ariana Grande ft. Lil Wayne
33.) "CALIFORNIA" | Grimes
I absolutely love “Something In The Way You Move”, so this alone makes this group really good! :)
“California” and “Let Me Love You” are good too, but I got over them a bit by now. Plus both albums have much stronger tracks, but I guess both artists will also have at least one more entry on your countdown.

30.) "ALL IN MY HEAD (FLEX)" | Fifth Harmony ft. Fetty Wap
28.) "ROCK BOTTOM" | Hailee Steinfeld ft. DNCE
27.) "FEVER" | Carly Rae Jepsen
Another nice group. "Fever" and "All In My Head" are both really good. While i can live with "Rock Bottom", it's clearly my least favorite track from Hailee so far.
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 pm

I remember checking out "All in My Head (Flex)" when I saw it on your chart, and enjoying it enough to download it...but it's run its course, and I should probably delete it now.

Ugh, that 20/20 Experience album was a 24/7 journey to get through. :x You're right about "Can't Stop the Feeling!", though. The song's a full-on power pop anthem, with a soaring falsetto chorus that just has this unbridled optimism that overwhelms you. It's a damn good pop song, and one of his career-best creations. It's also better than anything on that infinitely lengthy album he put out in 2013.

"Rock Bottom" is good! Somehow, I still didn't care for it that much, though. I don't know why. :oops:

phoenix98 wrote:Woah :o As in most played from DW...or her entire catalog? Not that I mind, but I'm definitely surprised - certainly would've guessed "Honeymoon Avenue" or "Best Mistake" first. "The Way" still holds that honor for me, but "Into You", "Moonlight", and "Honeymoon Avenue" are all fairly close behind.
Entire catalogue. "Best Mistake" is a very close second, though.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:43 pm

phoenix98 wrote:38.) "러시안 룰렛 (RUSSIAN ROULETTE)" | Red Velvet
Points = 149
Debut = 09/11/16
Run = 4 – *1* – 3 – 9 – 15 – 5 – OUT –
[8 – SC]
If I could urge you to check out any video on this countdown that you probably wouldn't have come across otherwise, THIS is the one. It's such a fascinating (and unsettling) mix of morbid and sexy, with an homage to Tom & Jerry/Itchy & Scratchy in the mix. As intrigued and impressed as I am by the video, this track actually first came to my attention when I was randomly browsing through the US iTunes Pop chart, so I do think the song itself has plenty of merit too, even when separated from the visual.
YES YES YES! My favourite K-pop song of 2016, maybe of all-time! Even more than Gee! :P
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am

phoenix98 wrote:34.) "LET ME LOVE YOU" | Ariana Grande ft. Lil Wayne

32.) "TILTED" | Christine And The Queens

29.) "CAN'T STOP THE FEELING!" | Justin Timberlake
Catching up again. I have you to thank for encouraging me to give Let me love you more of a chance after my initial uncertainty of the song purely down to Lil Wayne. It did go on make #14 my chart but no doubt a "rap sing" free version would've had a bigger impact. Likewise All in my head which failed to chart for me in the end.

Tilted is so good, i entered the original french version called Christine into my chart in 2015 where it got to #5.

In short, we all love Ellie's song! :lol:

As for Justin he really delivered an amazing track, i loved Can't stop the feeling! so much when it first came out. Such a perfect song for the summer, and became one of those songs that sounded especially good driving around in the sunshine.
JakeP
Manager

Postby marat2408 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:45 pm

"Tilted" and "Can't Stop The Feelig" for me from the last two bunches.
I like the length of Justin's songs. :oops: :D, especially from Futuresex/Lovesounds.
marat2408
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:30 pm

Tansike wrote:But Japan is one (if not THE) strongest market for her, so I’m not sure if this is a bad thing or not :P
I guess this means you’re not the biggest fan of “Focus”?

Yes, “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” was still charting. I’m not sure if a break would be the best thing, as she’s basically away from the charts for several months now. I think we already can get new music later this year, and I wouldn’t even mind that. Maybe lead track in autumn 2017 and album in early 2018, similar to “Title”?

It’s not just the exit from Fifth Harmony. I never really liked her, and I don’t see why some people think she could get a solo career. I don’t mind Madonna, Ariana or Tay’s stuff to be honest :oops: But yeah Kylie is probably one of the nicest girls in the business :o Wait, so Chris is banished from your charts? I also used to dislike him a lot, even before that happened, but his last three albums were surprisingly solid :oops:

“California” and “Let Me Love You” are good too, but I got over them a bit by now. Plus both albums have much stronger tracks, but I guess both artists will also have at least one more entry on your countdown.

Another nice group. "Fever" and "All In My Head" are both really good. While i can live with "Rock Bottom", it's clearly my least favorite track from Hailee so far.
Although I can't remember exactly why right now, I was deciding between "Focus" and DW (the song) over in Jake's thread...and I came to the conclusion that I still prefer "Focus" (at least between those two.) Jamie Foxx's bit in the chorus can be a bit grating, but the video bumps the song up quite a bit. "Focus" definitely had better Paulboard performance too:

"Focus": 2 - *1* - 11 - 23 - OUT - 27 - 8 - OUT
"Dangerous Woman": *3* - OUT - 25 - OUT - 28 - OUT - 13 - 11 - OUT

Of course, plenty of other DW tracks put both of those runs to shame. ;)

That sounds like a VERY solid plan! Dropping something this fall would mean about a year-and-a-half break from her last hit ("Me Too"), which seems just about right. I feel like burnout is the only possible explanation for "Better"s failure, since it SURELY can't be the song itself (or the video.)

I definitely liked some of the singles from his first two albums, and thought he was massively sexy...then he assaulted Rihanna, and was purged from my iTunes Library (though I still might have "No Air", since I bought Jordin's album.) Even if I wanted to look past that particular offense, he's just kept acting like a vile human being ever since (the latest Twitter nonsense with Soulja Boy, where he brags to Karrueche about how all of her friends have sucked his d**k, being just another example.) Any rate - he still has plenty of very dedicated defenders, and I certainly won't hold it against you if you still bop along to his tunes every now and then. Just don't be surprised if I never quote them from your charts. :lol:

Ha, they ABSOLUTELY will! More than one each, in fact. ;)

Poor "Rock Bottom" just can't compete with her masturbation anthem, eh? :cry:

Thanks again, Tansike! :D

JSparksFan wrote:I remember checking out "All in My Head (Flex)" when I saw it on your chart, and enjoying it enough to download it...but it's run its course, and I should probably delete it now.

Ugh, that 20/20 Experience album was a 24/7 journey to get through. :x You're right about "Can't Stop the Feeling!", though. The song's a full-on power pop anthem, with a soaring falsetto chorus that just has this unbridled optimism that overwhelms you. It's a damn good pop song, and one of his career-best creations. It's also better than anything on that infinitely lengthy album he put out in 2013.

"Rock Bottom" is good! Somehow, I still didn't care for it that much, though. I don't know why. :oops:

Entire catalogue. "Best Mistake" is a very close second, though.
HARSH :lol: First you got me feelin' good by saying that I helped you discover a song you like...until you decided that it's not even worth the space on your hard drive. kthnxbai.

**Nods enthusiastically** I did enjoy some moments across those two projects (though mostly in their single edits), but I just don't get what he was trying to prove by refusing to trim the album versions down. By no means am I against long tracks altogether - Rihanna's "Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary" leaps to mind - but there are songs that can last 7min and only feel like 3-4min...and then some there's that just have needlessly extended, repetitive intros and outros, as if the producer simply forgot to hit "stop" (like JT's.) Granted, I'm typically not the biggest fan of instrumental tracks in general, so that doesn't help his case either.

Ha, no worries. I've been feeling the same way about at least a few songs that are popping up on various countdowns. I definitely envy the way you and Adam can often so clearly articulate exactly what it is about the tracks that you love (or don't), down to the specific instrumental/production/vocal choices. It's truly professional-grade analysis.

Damn, that's high praise INDEED for LMLY!

biscuits wrote:YES YES YES! My favourite K-pop song of 2016, maybe of all-time! Even more than Gee! :P
YEEEEESSSSS! It's SO refreshing to see somebody not only recognize a K-Pop or J-Pop track that I'm charting, but actually share my enthusiasm for it too! Excellent taste (unsurprisingly!) 8-)

Many thanks for stopping by, biscuits! :D

JakeP wrote:Catching up again. I have you to thank for encouraging me to give Let me love you more of a chance after my initial uncertainty of the song purely down to Lil Wayne. It did go on make #14 my chart but no doubt a "rap sing" free version would've had a bigger impact. Likewise All in my head which failed to chart for me in the end.

Tilted is so good, i entered the original french version called Christine into my chart in 2015 where it got to #5.

In short, we all love Ellie's song! :lol:

As for Justin he really delivered an amazing track, i loved Can't stop the feeling! so much when it first came out. Such a perfect song for the summer, and became one of those songs that sounded especially good driving around in the sunshine.
Aw, I didn't even realize I had that much of an impact when it comes to that song! It's TRULY an honor to hear that I played any role in helping to improve your opinion of LMLY. 8-)

Speaking of helping each other out, I totally owe it to you for educating me on the "Christine"/"Tilted" situation. I knew that she'd released a full-French album first, but I had NO idea that "Tilted" had a full-French version with a completely different title. I just figured it was a brand-new recording for the album's release in English-speaking territories. :lol:

Ha, pretty much! A global chart flop, but universally acclaimed around UKMIX. ;)

SUCH a perfect summer jam! Makes sense that they released it so far in advance of the movie in order to capitalize on that.

marat2408 wrote:"Tilted" and "Can't Stop The Feelig" for me from the last two bunches.
I like the length of Justin's songs. :oops: :D, especially from Futuresex/Lovesounds.
Maybe you're just capable of understanding his artistic vision on a level that most us can't grasp ;) It's not that I'm strictly against any songs over a certain length, it just seems like most of his drag on forever when nothing's actually happening on the track (just the instrumental carrying on forever, or him beatboxing, or random echoed background vocals.) It certainly didn't stop him from selling up a storm, though!

Thanks again, marat! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm

25.) "HIGHER" | Carly Rae Jepsen
Points = 173
Debut = 08/28/16
Run = *1* – 4 – 8 – 6 – 1 – 4 – 20 – OUT

Although Kylie remains the B-side Queen forever and always, Carly delivered her fans an amazing surprise by announcing an official EP of tracks that were denied access to her critically-acclaimed (but commercially-irrelevant) 2015 opus E•MO•TION. Although it's not hard to tell why these tracks weren't deemed up-to-snuff for the final tracklist, even Carly's rejects outshine the efforts of many other contemporary acts. "Higher", a shining example of effervescent pop, was this collection's instant stand-out for me.
24.) "MAKE ME..." | Britney Spears ft. G-Eazy
Points = 179
Debut = 07/17/16
Run = *2* – 2 – 5 – 10 – 24 – 20 – 4 – 19 – 15 – 30 – OUT

With a long-standing tradition of uptempo, dance-tastic lead singles going all the way back to "...Baby One More Time", Britney slowed things down quite a bit for our introduction to her ninth studio album. It was an encouraging sign that Glory might truly represent a shift away from all of the EDM/electro-pop of her recent offerings and back toward...well, just pop. "Make Me..." might not stand up against Brit's all-time-best, but that's a pretty high bar to set, considering we're talking about THE female pop icon of the new millennium. For what "Make Me..." is, I think she pulls it off quite well.
23.) "VERSACE ON THE FLOOR" | Bruno Mars
Points = 183
Debut = 11/13/16
Run = 5 – 7 – 2 – 11 – 3 – *1* – 5 –
[5 – SC]
2016 featured its share of underwhelming lead singles from acts I would usually consider a very safe bet ("Dangerous Woman", "Perfect Illusion"...might even throw "NO" in there.) Although Bruno has never been quite on-par with those ladies for me, I still expected much more from the lead single to his long-awaited, highly-anticipated third album than an "Uptown Funk" retread (especially considering it had only been just over a year since that song was literally everywhere.) I did eventually warm up to "24K Magic" (at least slightly), but it was this pre-release-promo-single that truly reassured me that Bruno hadn't lost his touch. Granted, it's not exactly the more original offering either, but I'll definitely take this silky smooth Boyz-II-Men-meets-Michael-Jackson throwback sex jam over "Uptown Funkier" anyday.
22.) "I TOOK A PILL IN IBIZA (SEEB REMIX)" | Mike Posner
Points = 184
Debut = 01/10/16
Run = 17 – *1* – 5 – 8 – 23 – 18 – 28 – 28 – OUT – 16 – OUT – 10 – 16 – 18 – OUT

Although Mike Posner technically wasn't a one hit wonder on the Hot 100 even before 2016, thanks to "Please Don't Go" and "Bow Chicka Wow Wow" both cracking the Top 40, most of the world had undoubtedly long since forgotten him. Instead of drowning in self-pity, however, Mike put his songwriting skills to work and turned his fleeting-fame story into the true smash hit of his career as a performer. Much like OMI's "Cheerleader", people (myself included) didn't take to "I Took A Pill..." until one particular remix started gaining traction and allowed us to see/hear just what a gem Mike had crafted.
21.) "COLORS" | Halsey
Points = 184
Debut = 04/17/16
Run = *1* – 2 – 11 – 6 – 14 – OUT – 7 – 9 – OUT – 22 – OUT – 26 – 28 – OUT

Halsey had already been generating buzz for a while, but it wasn't until Akini highlighted "Colors" on his weekly chart early last year that I actually took the time to listen to one of her songs, and I was instantly hooked! It didn't hurt that the official video flaunts a delectably-shirtless Tyler Posey and features a twist-ending that I certainly didn't see coming – but, as others have said, it's the undertones of Taylor throughout the song that likely played the biggest part in helping it steal my heart.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:59 am

That "Make Me..." video scene you inserted was funny. :lol: You know, I appreciate that Britney and Rihanna tried out a few sounds in 2016 that don't reflect what we've come to know and love about the girls, but both had missteps. "Make Me..." isn't a travesty - it's actually quite good - but Britney's set the bar so high with her lead singles that I couldn't help but feel disappointed with the song. It never even hit #1 on my daily chart, which is almost blasphemous considering that she is Britney Spears. I give props for the fresh sound, though, and G-Eazy was a great addition to the track; I don't think it works as well without him.

I've praised Bruno's vocals on "Versace on the Floor" before, but they warrant repeated props. He sounds FANTASTIC on the song. If he releases it as a single, I could see it blowing up.

I like "I Took a Pill in Ibiza" sans the Seeb remix. I'm happy you and Grybop pointed out the fact that I was wrong in my assessment of the lyrics being banal - granted, that's a subjective matter anyway, but, upon further inspection, I did change my mind.

Yay at "Colours" ending up so high! The chorus is a massive earworm, and the music video hugely entertaining (for a variety of reasons). Props for treading all the way back to that April chart to link to the post.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:That "Make Me..." video scene you inserted was funny. :lol: You know, I appreciate that Britney and Rihanna tried out a few sounds in 2016 that don't reflect what we've come to know and love about the girls, but both had missteps. "Make Me..." isn't a travesty - it's actually quite good - but Britney's set the bar so high with her lead singles that I couldn't help but feel disappointed with the song. It never even hit #1 on my daily chart, which is almost blasphemous considering that she is Britney Spears. I give props for the fresh sound, though, and G-Eazy was a great addition to the track; I don't think it works as well without him.

I've praised Bruno's vocals on "Versace on the Floor" before, but they warrant repeated props. He sounds FANTASTIC on the song. If he releases it as a single, I could see it blowing up.

I like "I Took a Pill in Ibiza" sans the Seeb remix. I'm happy you and Grybop pointed out the fact that I was wrong in my assessment of the lyrics being banal - granted, that's a subjective matter anyway, but, upon further inspection, I did change my mind.

Yay at "Colours" ending up so high! The chorus is a massive earworm, and the music video hugely entertaining (for a variety of reasons). Props for treading all the way back to that April chart to link to the post.
I'm sincerely glad you appreciate that 8-) Honestly, putting together those "banners" is probably my favorite part of doing Mid-Year/Year-End Countdowns.

You're often right about so very much - **fingers crossed** that'll hold true for VOTF too! Granted, at this point, it'd probably be more shocking if his next single DIDN'T blow up...but I guess both "Gorilla" and "Young Girls" did under-perform pretty badly, so he's certainly not immune.

Ha, SUCH reluctance to give poor Mike an ounce of credit for serving up something of substance :lol: What has he ever done to you? :cry: Also, this "if it's dancey at all, it can't possibly be deep at all" implication is giving me Britney Jean fallout flashbacks.

Glad you appreciate that too! I figured simply linking to your user profile would've been a bit pointless anyway - as if there's anyone around here who doesn't already know who you are! ;)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm

20.) "MAKE ME LIKE YOU" | Gwen Stefani
Points = 187
Debut = 02/14/16
Run = *3* – 6 – 3 – 18 – 16 – 18 – 24 – 9 – 11 – OUT – 27 – OUT – 19 – OUT

After two singles that ended up completely swept under the rug, and then another that at least felt like a step in the right direction, Gwen finally gave us something to get truly excited about by unleashing this bubblegum bop. Easily the most instantly infectious of her 2014-2016 "comeback" offerings, "Make Me Like You" reminded us of her pop-making-brilliance from a nearly a decade prior. Although this might have more to do with Gwen's hairstyle on the cover and during the video, this breezy lovestruck anthem brings to mind Madonna's "True Blue."
19.) "BUBBLEGUM" | TOTEM ft. Aalias
Points = 187
Debut = 06/19/16
Run = *2* – 2 – 2 – 3 – 10 – 23 – 9 – 18 – 23 – OUT

Yet another tune that came to my attention strictly due to exposure on the iTunes Pop Store, TOTEM's "Bubblegum" sounds like it would've fit right in with Bieber's string of Purpose singles. As someone who often relies on chewing gum to alleviate my stankbreath, I can especially appreciate TOTEM's analogy throughout the chorus: "your sugar turned so bitter now, like bubblegum stale in my mouth, I hate the taste..."
18.) "SHOUT OUT TO MY EX" | Little Mix
Points = 191
Debut = 10/23/16
Run = 2 – 3 – *1* – 7 – 6 – 17 – 3 – 18 – OUT

Although living up to the brilliance of "Black Magic" was an impossible feat, Little Mix still managed to deliver a highly-satisfying lead single from their next project with "Shout Out To My Ex." Brimming with sass (and surprisingly suggestive lyrics at times), this kiss-off-anthem had many pondering the potential connection to Perrie's high-profile-breakup with Zayn the previous year. Whether or not he's in fact the one that forced Perrie to fake it, this guitar-heavy gem has the power to make all of us feel like we're better off now.
17.) "TRUE DISASTER" | Tove Lo
Points = 205
Debut = 10/23/16
Run = 3 – 4 – 3 – 3 – *2* – 4 – 2 – 22 – OUT

Ah, the excitement of having your personal favorite track chosen to be an official single...only to have it wind up an utter failure. Although the epic underperformance of Tove's "True Disaster" wasn't nearly as shocking as when it happened to Meghan's "Better", given that lead single "Cool Girl" didn't exactly set charts afire either, there's no doubt that this synthpop stunner deserved much more.
16.) "BE ALRIGHT" | Ariana Grande
Points = 212
Debut = 03/27/16
Run = *1* – 1 – 2 – 8 – 8 – 16 – 15 – OUT – 20 – OUT – 15 – 12 – OUT
Having denounced "Focus" and delivered an unexpected (but underwhelming) do-over lead single in the form of "Dangerous Woman", Ari finally eased my anxiety by dropping "Be Alright." What I love most about this deep house throwback cut is Ari's reminder that being alright is often simply our choice to make. The music alone is bound to make you feel better, but the message in the lyrics is especially reassuring: "baby, you just gotta make up your mind, that every little thing is gonna be alright..."
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Love #30, #29 and Numbers 25-21 :)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Phoenixx wrote:Love #30, #29 and Numbers 25-21 :)
Hey Marcus! Many thanks for checking this out :D I'm especially pleased to see that you liked an entire batch! 5/5 approval is a rare honor. Hopefully that starts a trend as we move higher up the list...
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm

15.) "WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE" | Charlie Puth ft. Selena Gomez
Points = 219
Debut = 01/24/16
Run = 24 – *3* – 7 – 11 – 15 – 14 – 23 – OUT – 21 – OUT – 30 – 12 – 10 – OUT – 12 – 20 – 15 – 29 – OUT

I had high hopes for "We Don't Talk Anymore" as soon as Charlie started posting clips of himself (and Selena) singing along to the chorus as it blasted through some speakers. Their chemistry was undeniable, both on the track and messing around with each other in these clips, which just made it all the more disappointing when the official video dropped sans Selena. That said, even with an inferior female substitute, the video does an unsettlingly good job of conveying the sadness in the song, to the point that it's almost too difficult to watch. Too real, man.
14.) "PIN" | Grimes
Points = 220
Debut = 02/21/16
Run = 2 – 10 – 9 – 5 – *1* – 2 – 15 – OUT – 27 – OUT – 8 – OUT – 11 – OUT

Although Hor's encouragement is the sole reason I started exploring the wonderful world of Grimes last year, he actually deems this track one of the few (if not the only) "filler" moment on Art Angels, whereas I consider it one of the highlights. This track is also noteworthy for containing what are quite possibly my favorite lyrics across the entire LP: "run through the dark woods, falling couldn't see straight, I was only looking for a human to reciprocate..."
13.) "MAN ON THE MOON" | Britney Spears
Points = 227
Debut = 08/28/16
Run = 6 – *1* – 3 – 3 – 8 – 15 – 9 – 8 – OUT – 23 – OUT – 7 – OUT

Akini brilliantly summed up this Glory standout in one word: "wistful." A fan favorite from the start (although I'm still stunned by how early it left the Survivor here), its chances of enjoying the spotlight as a single are looking increasingly slim, considering they pulled the plug on Britney Jean after only two singles that performed better than the two we've gotten from Glory thus far. It just occurred to me over the past couple of days that I might have been misunderstanding the chorus all this time: I always thought she was referring to herself with the line "patience, darling, wait for the night..." (I get that it's a touch odd to call yourself "darling", but I saw it as a moment of re-assuring/consoling herself, especially since it's preceded by the line "put on a smile and I said to myself...") Now I'm wondering if the "darling" refers to her distant (imaginary?) lover, and that line is part of the message she's sending out to him. Not that I plan to disavow the track either way, but I was charmed by what I interpreted as some (catchy) self-soothing.
12.) "BUTTERFLY" | Grimes
Points = 233
Debut = 02/21/16
Run = *1* – 2 – 3 – 7 – 19 – 16 – 28 – OUT – 13 – 15 – OUT – 28 – 6 – OUT – 23 – 29 – 16 – OUT – 26 – OUT

Possibly the most bubbly and uplifting moment on Art Angels, "Butterfly" was a clear standout when I finally got my hands on the full album. Note: the official video is NOT up to Grimes's usual visual standard, at least not for the Art Angels era, and is one of several that she shot "guerrilla-style" during off-time while on her European tour. I'm glad that she decided to show this track some love, but the clip is certainly miles away from what she put together for "Flesh Without Blood", "Kill V. Maim", and "California."
11.) "다이너마이트 (DYNAMITE)" | VIXX
Points = 233
Debut = 04/24/16
Run = *1* – 1 – 1 – 1 – 3 – 8 – 9 – 11 – 22 – 20 – OUT

K-Pop sextet VIXX earn the honor of this year's highest-charting non-English entry, and the longest-running-No. 1 of 2016, with "다이너마이트 (Dynamite)", which was (unsurprisingly) brought to my attention via the US iTunes Pop Chart. Despite falling just short of the Top 10, this song is a very strong contender for "Hook/Melody of the Year." Shameless, infectious, boyband bubblegum bliss.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:13 pm

"Pregnant with alien baby"! Gaga could never. :lol:

Ah, I never likened "Make Me Like You" or Gwen to True Blue, but now that you mention it, I don't imagine "Make Me Like You" sounding that out of place on that album. For me, the song is one of the few Gwen singles I like. Infectious and frothy - I think that's basically Gwen at her best.

"Shout Out to My Ex" isn't bad, but I don't think I'll ever love the girls as much as I did during their first era.

Rihanna summed up what Ariana sings about with a single line: I choose to be happy. "Be Alright" has grown on me. It gets a bit lost on the album surrounded by the bigger, bolder anthems, but this is nice!

"We Don't Talk Anymore" is Charlie at his Puth best. It took a while to grow on me, but once it clicked, I was hooked.

Interesting "Man on the Moon" analysis (and thanks for the shout-out). I, too, had always assumed that she was consoling herself, but the Send my message into outer space, wonder if it's gonna float your way line in verse one does provide some credence to your theory that she's referring to her distant lover. Hmm...I do prefer the internal dialogue story to this new reality you've presented, but, like you said, the song's a winner with either interpretation.

"Butterfly" is eclectic and wonderful. Many thanks for the recommendation!
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts