Paulboard Top 50 of 2016 | **No. 2 + No. 1**

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:00 pm

02.) "INTO YOU" | Ariana Grande
Points = 383
Debut = 05/22/16
Run = 5 – *1* – 1 – 3 – 5 – 7 – 9 – 15 – 4 – 6 – 6 – 7 – 7 – 9 – OUT – 26 – 14 – 25 – OUT – 25 – OUT
While "Moonlight" provides a brief escape into a reality that's much more romantic than mine, "Into You" is a four-minute journey into a world of sheer carnal ecstasy. I may not be able to actually pursue all of the stunning guys I see on the streets (or meet here on UKMIX), but I can always put on this tune and dive into a delicious daydream. As is the case with most important life lessons, I owe Akini for enlightening me on how Ari pays tribute not only to Elvis, but also to our beloved Mariah with the line: "a little less conversation, and a little more touch my body..."
01.) "WORK" | Rihanna ft. Drake
Points = 402
Debut = 01/31/16
Run = *1* – 1 – 5 – 13 – 1 – 2 – 6 – 8 – 6 – 5 – 7 – 16 – 13 – 17 – 30 – 13 – OUT – 16 – 16 – OUT – 11 – OUT

"This downbeat dancehall anthem was the hottest thing to hit 2016 – a mating ritual set to music, and yet another chance for Rihanna and Drake to flirt outrageously on record."
- No. 1, NME's "Songs of the Year 2016"
"The beat is magical and minimal, with Boi-1da leaving enough space to allow the two superstars to propel the song forward. In a year that gave us two AubRih songs (and plenty of relationship-status speculation), “Work” stands out in its urgent beauty.)"
- No. 7, Pitchfork's "The 100 Best Songs of 2016"
"There’s no shortage of ways in which Rihanna has demonstrated her total lack of f**ks to give, but this particular demonstration has got to be the most chill."
- No. 15, Consequence of Sound's "Top 50 Songs of 2016"
"...the music bubbles and simmers like a dark, spicy brown stew. "Work" has become one of those instantly alluring tunes where just hearing the first few notes is motivation enough to shake, grind or dutty wine your hips and privates on the nearest dance floor victim. The power of RiRi compels you."
- No. 15, NPR's "Top 100 Songs of 2016"
...but that’s not why this is No. 1 here. After all, this countdown used a point-based system that rewarded the songs with the best overall chart run throughout 2016, and "Work" earned its place before those reviews were published. They're more of a last-ditch-effort to encourage people to give this track at least a little credit, even if it’s not your cup of tea ;) Of course, there might not be any way to improve your opinion of this tune, but I think it's a fitting champion for a reason that transcends the track itself: bringing me back to UKMIX. If it weren't for my excitement about this single and the hype surrounding the long-awaited release of ANTI, I wouldn't be here posting this right now - sharing with, and learning from, all of you. As much as I adore "Work" simply as a song, the positive change that it brought about in my life in 2016, in which you wonderful people have played a part, makes me especially glad that this tune emerged as the victor. Many thanks to Rihanna – and many thanks to all of you!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:06 pm

02.) "INTO YOU" | Ariana Grande

YES! This is a masterpiece in how to perfect an amazing pop song. There is so much good stuff going on, so let's try to break it down JakeP style, bare in mind i'm not great at these analysis comments. :lol: :oops: Ok, so firstly that production on the backing tracks is all kinds of amazing. It's glitzy, sparkly, synth heavy tailor made to be a bonafide bop. Secondly, Ariana's vocals are so distinctive and i love her voice so much. It's so pure and incredibly effeminate to my ears, see Ellie Goulding. It's like an almost nursery rhyme vocal tone they have, so not like female singers with deep voices or female singers with autotune on autopilot. :lol: The pureness shines through but i also love how Ariana can pull this off on songs like Moonlight, Into you and Side by side when really these three couldn't be more different if they tried.

I'm so happy to see Into you finish so high, a very respectable #2 single. :D

01.) "WORK" | Rihanna ft. Drake

Oh Paul :cry: It was going so well. :lol:

Judging from some of those review quotes, if Rihanna and Drake did a similar track where they just burped for 3 minutes over a minimal backing track, it would probably be classed as the biggest second coming since Work!!! :lol: Yes, i get that Rihanna and Drake are hot property and every time they're seen together it seems to be an event on par with when Adele brings out a new single. RiRi and Drake only need to go into Tesco to buy a loaf of bread and it's world news. :lol: If only it was Too good as i much preferred that song, but i'm just one persons opinion. Many people love Work so it has clearly done its job amazingly. :D Plus, if Work is the reason you started posted here again then i'm thankful for the song regardless of what i might think of the song, as i love our discussions in our chart threads.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 am

Yay at me being right! :D

"Into You" is officially my favourite Ariana single; I'd been going back and forth between that one and "Best Mistake", but recently, as I've kept seeing "Into You" on so many persons' charts and listening to it (usually I play a song or two from whichever countdown thread I'm browsing), I realise that its pulsating beat, train-like chorus, and Elvis/Mariah references are just too much for the contemplative, mellow magic of "Best Mistake" to overcome. I'm glad I was able to point out that A little less conversation, and a little more touch my body connection, as I'm sure that only adds to your love for the song. Also, the music video is fairly underrated; Don Benjamin is so sexy! :oops:

"...the music bubbles and simmers like a dark, spicy brown stew. "Work" has become one of those instantly alluring tunes where just hearing the first few notes is motivation enough to shake, grind or dutty wine your hips and privates on the nearest dance floor victim. The power of RiRi compels you."
- No. 15, NPR's "Top 100 Songs of 2016"
This had me screaming!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love Rihanna to the moon and back, but the first play of "Work" was quite a bit to stomach. Initially, I found it difficult to get past the slurring of some of the words, but then there was that infamous car ride, and after that, I was sold. There is a griminess to the beat that is indeed alluring, and the sexiness that the Rihanna/Drake combination brings to the table is undeniable. His If you had a twin, I would still choose you line is definitely a lyrical highlight in a song that's more about the beat/vibe than anything else, and, of course, their chemistry in the video is palpable.

Overall, great countdown, Paul! 8-)
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:06 pm

Great year-end Top-2 8-) 8-) 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby Tansike » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 pm

I hope you don't mind when i don't give a reply for your reply to my last comment right now, as it's already pretty late and i don't have that much time right now, but i still want to leave a comment for the Top2...

YASS at "Into You"!
I have to be honest and say that i really thought "Moonlight" may have been Ariana's biggest success on your charts during 2016, but now i'm kinda glad that i was wrong at thinking that way. "Into You" is pop at its best, and i love how much it's getting praised on here. It's my second favorite track ever from her now, only behind "Break Free". The chorus... :cry: :cry: :cry: How can a song being that catchy with a voice that great not be a worldwide #1 smash mega super hit? :oops:

Well, i think you know my opinion about "Work". I can listen to it and i have to admit that it's kinda iconic. I mean, everyone seems to know that 'work work work work work' line. So yeah, it's not that i hate it, i just expected more from someone who i used to love so much. But hey, similar to Jake, i think i need to love the song now as it brought you back. And i hope you will stay for a veeery long time now :wink:

Brilliant countdown! :wink: 8-)
Tansike
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts