Cheapthrills' Cheap 40 -Top 40 of 2016 (COMPLETE LIST)

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Lots to like here, feel like I've spent the whole time writing 'I like the Dua song' but she has so many goodies!

Troye is really great and as you say a young artist really in tune with the world. Ariana is a massive pop anthem, and there is such beauty and as you say, longing, in Faded!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm

Thank you, and thanks for following this. :)

I am going to post the top 5 now. :D
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby SilentDream » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:58 pm

"Into You" is great. It's one of my favourite songs on Ariana's most recent album. :)

"Be the One" is a nice song as well, but I think it's not as good as "Blow Your Mind (Mwah)".

I also really like "Cool Girl". It's one of many great songs on Tove Lo's second album. :)
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
SilentDream
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:48 pm

Cheapthrills Cheap 40! TOP FIVE

#5 Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime

Coldplay is a standby on my chart, with this being a an 7th #1 on my list. Even though they were the #1 of 2008 with Violet Hill, this feels like the bigger hit - a longer number one that never burned on me. It was more danceable than reflective, and one of their most relatable songs. They had a groovy ape video, and for good measure, they played the SUper Bowl the year my Broncos decided to win it. :)

20-16-13-9-7-7-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-3-7-9-12-19

------------------------------------

#4 - Summer On You - Sam Feldt x Lucas & Steve ft. Wulf

Another former year-end topper, Sam Feldt topped with Bloesem in 2014, and has kept up some pretty solid chart showings since. Sam Feldt is a deep house DJ whose touch of island splash in his music gives them that ocean sun shine. He must know this, considering he made a song specifically for the summer months, where it dominated my chart.

13-9-8-5-4-3-2-1-1-1-1-5-10-15

#3 - Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover)

Honestly, its a huge shock how high this song appears at year-end. I don't think I noticed as it was slowly moving up the chart just how much time it was putting in, and there's good reason for that. I just slowly started loving the song more and more. In my head, I didn't think it had #1 in it, but it was more of a grower than say, Water Under the Bridge. This kind of mid-tempo song is Adele's wheelhouse, and I wish 25 had more like it.

19-11-9-7-7-6-5-4-3-1-1-3-6-9-10-19

#2 - Sia - The Greatest

Already enjoying good will from her previous single, this song blasted onto my chart and took little time to camp out in the top two - more than any other song this year, which gave it a good distance on all but the number one song.

I'm sure Sia meant it as a metaphor for many things, but that she chose to use her platform to honor the victims of the Pulse massacre through dance. The video became one of the most unsettling and poignant images I saw the entire year. I prefer the solo version to Kendrick's feature because he kind of sounds just stuck in there.

9-5-2-2-1-1-2-2-1-1-2-6-11-17

#1 - Sia - Cheap Thrills

OK, FINE. :roll: It IS the #1 song - haha, sorry for the anticlimax, but it far outpaced the competition this year - only the complete run of Coldplay's song would have challenged her. This is the first time, I've had an artist nab the top two (Adele came so close in 2011, finishing at #1, #3, AND #4), but it is richly deserved. Sia has a chart history on my list stretching back nine years. But until 2015, she had never hit #1. I thought that might be it for Sia, but she came back, obviously, in a huge way in 2016.

I'm not sure what compels me so much - maybe because it's the most playful I've seen Sia and that carries over infectiously. Maybe it's the exuberant "I love cheap thrills" that spark the production. Or maybe I just cant help singing along with it. In any case, I give you the #1 song of 2016 - Cheap Thrills. :)

20-17-11-7-4-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-4-4-7-8-9-16-17-19-20

I hope you enjoyed following the year-end countdown. If you did I have started posting my weekly chart as of last week, and would love to have some feedback. :)
Last edited by cheapthrills on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:43 am

I feel like the Sia songs where she does best are not the songs she wrote for others, so these aren't my favourite, but she is certainly a cracking artist! The Adele song is decent and I love the Coldplay one!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Tansike » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:13 pm

#12 Troye Sivan - Youth
#10 - One Dance - Drake featuring Wizkid and Kyla
#9 - Ariana Grande - Into You
#8 - Dua Lipa - Be The One
#7 - Tove Lo - Cool Girl
#6 - Alan Walker - Faded
#5 Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
#3 - Adele - Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
#2 - Sia - The Greatest
#1 - Sia - Cheap Thrills
Fantastic countdown, so many brilliant tunes! :o :D

"Cheap Thrills" is definitely a deserved #1 :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby MrRager » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:59 am

Such an unexpected no.1! :o
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:59 pm

Except #04 it's a very great Top-5

I love Sia <3

Loved her on the first day "Titanium" was released in 2011 :lol:
Phoenixx